Type keyword(s) to search

The TV Beyond Castle Thread: What Other TV Shows Are Your Favorites?

First-time poster - this is fun! I have to throw in my two cents:

Past shows that I devoutly hope remain in syndication somewhere forever:

The Bionic Woman (ducking under table)

MacGyver

ER (the Mark Greene years)

Magnum P.I.

The Practice

Sports Night (gone much, much too soon)

I Love Lucy

Bachelor Father

The Andy Griffith Show

Current shows - this list is significantly shorter!

Castle

NCIS

Downton Abbey

Rizzoli and Isles

Thanks for letting me play along! :)

Interesting list.

Of current shows, I love "Stalker", "Big Bank Theory" and "The Good Wife" and I'm still limping along with "Bones", "NCIS" and "Criminal Minds" on the PVR to watch or delete as the mood strikes. Apart from that, I think it's HBO shows with "Transporter" for Fluff and "Newsroom" as the one I wish didn't have to end. And current events - docs, editorial and news round out the rest of my recorded list. But "news" from PBS and Comedy Central (plus two daily non-TV newspaper subscriptions). Gosh, looking at that, "Castle" really is the outlier and maybe that's why I'm not too demanding of it any more. As a procedural "Stalker" kicks its ass and as a character-heavy procedural "Good Wife" kicks its ass (both IMO, of course). Having accepted that, I love "Castle" for the quirky dramedy that it is.

The only re-runs I seek out are early-years "Criminal Minds" and early-years "Law and Order:SVU" featuring Alex Cabot and Butchy McFabulous, AKA original-flavor Olivia Benson.

During this hiatus I've spent time catching up on Nashville. I've pretty much replaced my "Caskett" addiction with "Javery" (Juliette and Avery from Nashville). The story lines make so much more sense than the stilted and jilted ones on Castle. There is actually some consistency from week to week. Go figure.

Nashville is an unapologetic soap, a fact that I also appreciate.

I'm a happier person because of it.

Edited by TVWithPity

Gracepoint was made here in Victoria BC, where we recently moved. It's disconcerting to see props in the local pub or thank you cards from the cast in the consignment shop where we were buying furniture.

Local opinion on the show varies. But there is David Tennant...

I guess Beckett really is a common last name, but it was still kind of weird, when watching a Season 2 episode of the original Law & Order to hear that one of the victims in a double homicide was named Alexandra Beckett!

Even more obvious was the love for "Alexandra", used for three main characters in each of the franchise shows.

And the episode, "The Wages of Love", was the first appearance of Jerry Orbach who did not play Lennie Briscoe, but the defense lawyer against Ben Stone, Frank Lehrman. Hee. (He would join L&O the middle of the very next season as Lennie.)

In its twenty seasons, I never recalled anyone with the last name of Castle, though!

I really like this thread.

Current Shows:

Big Bang Theory

Melissa & Joey

Vampire Diaries (I have all 5 seasons on DVD, but I haven't watched season 5 yet)

Older Shows:

Dawson's Creek

Diagnosis Murder

Hart to Hart

Home Improvement

Queer as Folk

Saved by the Bell

Edited by quickquill85
(edited)

My current favorite is 12 Monkeys, which is not a murder mystery show, but I imagine NF would like it.

Forever is my 2nd fav at this time. It's a little scifi, but mostly murder mystery, and has been compared to Castle.

ETA: Elementary

Edited by shapeshifter

I've been enjoying Backstrom on Thursdays, but unfortunately DH's choice (something about Russian spies) is on at the same time, so I've been looking for a timeshift. Rainn Wilson is supremely unlikeable as the lead, and Sarah Chalke just showed up. So far, so good.

My other two appointments are The Book of Negroes (CBC in Canada . BET in the States), which is just over (6-part series) and Ascension (also 6-part series) on CBC in Canada and perhaps ScyFy in the USA?

Forever is my 2nd fav at this time. It's a little scifi, but mostly murder mystery, and has been compared to Castle

I thought all Castle fans were required to hate it because of the star's association with Caskett... ;) Full disclosure, I really enjoy Forever.

• Love 1

I want to like Forever, but I have a problem that even though they say they didn't, they basically ripped off Pete Hamill's 2003 novel, also titled Forever. I'd be much more into it if they claimed the show was based on the book, because there are just so many things that are the same between the book and the show that I find it hard to believe that the book didn't influence the show. The head writer of the show claims that he didn't know of the book, but Pete Hamill's been pretty vocal about his disappointment that the show is basically his book but without the credit.

I thought all Castle fans were required to hate it because of the star's association with Caskett... ;) Full disclosure, I really enjoy Forever.

I enjoy Forever, but it's definitely not my favorite this season.  I also know it won't get renewed so haven't wanted to get attached.

But while I really like the actor (despite his role on Castle), I get a little annoyed at some of the things they seem to steal from Castle.  Granted they were probably not all that original on Castle, but still.  It's what I think of.

There was an episode where a killer was re-enacting kills made by Jack the Ripper, and they tracked it to a person getting the information to do that from some book. They brought it the writer to accuse him and he got all excited that his writing was good enough to lead to a copycat killer. I might actually be combing two episodes there.  But they definitely had a writer excited about having a copycat.

Didn't see that episode, but yeah, that's been done before. I like the show because the characters are empathetic and the acting is (mostly) good. The stories not so much, although the cyber-crime one I saw recently did pose an interesting moral dilemma. Made me want to check out that new CSI Cyber.

I'm a PBS Masterpiece Mystery addict. If I had to choose a TV time slot that I'd let fill my DVR while I went away on a trip around the world, I think that would edge out Castle. In part because I'd get a different detective every few weeks, from Wallander to Case Histories.

I watched the first episode of Secrets & Lies, a new show on ABC that I think is replacing Castle in its timeslot during our break.  Let's hope they get everyone to sign new contracts because if this is the show that ABC has in mind to replace Castle, I think they are doomed.  It was terrible.   It probably wanted to be something like Broadchurch (the original version is excellent!), but it failed miserably.  Never was a big fan of Ryan Philippe but I thought his acting was terrible here.  And he was weirdly dressed in an all white jogging outfit (painter's outfit?) all episode which made it even harder to take him seriously lol.

Does anyone remember what show Castle was a midseason replacement for?

I haven't watched Forever since the pilot as that didn't hook me enough to make me want to watch another show that appeared so similar to Castle.  It could have gotten better since then, I don't know.  But I wouldn't be interested in shows like Castle or Forever if there wasn't exceptional chemistry with the leads that got me hooked.

I watched the first episode of Secrets & Lies, a new show on ABC that I think is replacing Castle in its timeslot during our break.  Let's hope they get everyone to sign new contracts because if this is the show that ABC has in mind to replace Castle, I think they are doomed.  It was terrible.   It probably wanted to be something like Broadchurch (the original version is excellent!), but it failed miserably.  Never was a big fan of Ryan Philippe but I thought his acting was terrible here.  And he was weirdly dressed in an all white jogging outfit (painter's outfit?) all episode which made it even harder to take him seriously lol.

Secrets and Lies is replacing Resurrection on Sunday nights, but I think are re-airing episodes in Castle's timeslot to try and get more viewers hooked.

Are they using it as filler next week too? I just thought it was a "special encore presentation" because the premiere was last Sunday.

I wouldn't worry about it as a potential Castle replacement. The Monday numbers were pretty bad (a 1.0/3 with 4 million viewers), and that's with the Bachelor Women Tell All (2.4/7, 8 million) special as a lead-in, and that's off of a 1.5/4, 6 million viewer premiere. Yeah it was a repeat, but it probably should have done better. The numbers next Sunday will be the teller, though.

From the Castle renewal thread (because it's no longer in reference to Castle):

For fans who do watch GA, I'm curious, do fans also believe that the romantic leads love/hate each other?  I just wonder if that's a feature of fandom for all shows with a strong romantic pairing.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you mean in real life, or on the show? Meredith and Derek were the "main" romantic lead in Grey's, but there have been others. My other ship on that show was the ill-fated Alex/Izzie, so that's really my only other reference point. In terms of the characters, Alex and Izzie started as a hate thing (well. more of a clash thing, because it was Alex's character to be an ass), but as the characters grew so did their relationship. With Meredith and Derek, there really was never any hate feature, especially before they were a couple. They also clashed and they had fights, but their fights were always usually grounded in some point in their relationship, not just a schoolyard "I hate you" kind of fight.

As far as the actors go, both Justin Chambers and Katherine Heigl always spoke well of each other (and he wisely avoided the drama she created when that all hit the fan) and Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo have always come off as good friends. In his exit interview with EW it seems like the hardest part for him was talking about Ellen.

It's all rumors, and I could believe it being completely made up, but here's the link:

http://pagesix.com/2015/04/20/diva-dempsey-all-but-gone-from-greys-anatomy/

Funny, there's nothing in that story that explains his "diva" behavior. What was he demanding? How did he make her mad? This might be sour grapes on my part, but the whole article makes Shonda seem really, really petty. I get the Issiah Washington stuff. I even sort of understand the Katherine Heigl stuff, because there was more to it than just her remarks about the subpar writing (which honestly, I agreed with her on. Ghost sex? I wouldn't put my name in for an Emmy either). But this seemed to happen too quickly and too quietly to make sense.

The only, only reason last night's Grey's Anatomy made headlines is because she managed to kill a main character after 11 years and nothing leaked about his departure except the vague rumors.

I might be able to accept it if this was a shock, one time only thing. But it's not. It's Shonda's MO to kill characters when she's bored or when she's angry or when an actor comes to her and broaches the topic of leaving. At this point it's boring and petty and vindictive and frankly, lazy writing. Until it comes out that Patrick Dempsey is a class-A douchebag that kills puppies in his spare time Shonda is going to have a mutiny on her hands, because I don't really see a way that it can be spun that this isn't her fault. Hope it was worth making the point that actors are disposable.

Edited by McManda

But from where I sit, the only thing Shonda Rhimes is guilty of is creating a huge hit that saved a network at one time.

I know nothing, of course, but it kinda seems to me that Shonda Rhimes has a superiority complex, too. Grey's was a hit, complete with spinoffs, and now Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder are network darlings. They created TGIT (thank God it's Thursday) for her shows, and they tout anything she does as gold. I would imagine she's got quite the ego, too.

And whatever drama happened on set it seems petty and lazy to "make an example" out of someone. That's not an adult way to handle the situation, either.

• Love 1

I think it's interesting that in 2015 people still find it hard to believe that some actors are bad people. Not everyone is Charlie Sheen. Most of the really bad shit never reaches the public.

I think the problem is that some people confuse the characters with the actors.  If he's playing McDreamy, then it may be harder to believe he's a Charlie Sheen in real life.  If he's playing an occasionally childish, goofy guy, some people will believe that's what the person is like in real life too.  Power of the small screen? ;)

McManda, I was just wondering whether fans of other onscreen romantic couples like on GA end up taking sides with the characters that transfers onto the actors as well, and they end up loving one half of the pairing, both the actor and the character, whilst hating on the other.  And rumours start to float from fans that the actors don't get along in real life, or are madly in love with each other.  Sometimes I wonder if fandom is driven by drama, and not just TV shows. 

But to post something related to the topic of this thread, two new shows I've been enjoying lately are Outlander and iZombie.  Both shows by showrunners whose work I've enjoyed before, namely, Battlestar Galactica and Veronica Mars, and their new projects don't disappoint.  iZombie feels a bit like Veronica Mars redux but that's okay with me since I miss that show.  Outlander is a completely different beast from BSG and for that I really respect the ability of the showrunner to craft a completely different kind of world altogether, but an equally ambitious one.  It's also a refreshing show in how they depict adult sexuality from the female perspective.  People who love a good love story should enjoy it, but there's lots more to it than the romance and it's rife with drama and intrigue.

Edited by madmaverick

I think it's interesting that in 2015 people still find it hard to believe that some actors are bad people. Not everyone is Charlie Sheen. Most of the really bad shit never reaches the public.

Honestly, I tend to just assume most people are decent until they prove me wrong. Many people I meet IRL do that pretty quickly, but since I don't meet many actors I don't find out what they're really like and keep assuming they're good. But it wouldn't surprise me that many actually suck.

• Love 1
And whatever drama happened on set it seems petty and lazy to "make an example" out of someone. That's not an adult way to handle the situation, either.

I don't know what happened between Patrick and Shonda, and I'm not interested in taking anyone's side, but it seems that the people who will pay for this situation are the audience.  How forgiving will they be after they've lost yet another character?  Did Shonda cross a line with her viewers?  Will this reenergize her show or permanently damage it with loyal fans?  

I have been interested in Outlander but knowing that the showrunners of BSG are attached makes me even more inclined to watch it even if I wasn't a fan of how BSG ended. 

They don't just tout it as gold. She brings in ratings that nothing else scripted on ABC does. As for the bold part, that's not what happened.

But that's the media line, isn't it? That he was a diva and she rules ABC so she kicked him out. His final exit interview with EW (excuse the "organic" assertions) suggests that he wasn't involved in the storyline and doesn't really like the way it turned out, so for better or worse there's not much more for people to assume, at least until Shonda decides to tell her side. By her media silence so far, I'm in doubt she will.

If you know specifics then that's one thing, but chances are the regular viewers will never know, so all they can judge by is what they saw. Does killing Derek Shepherd serve the story? Based on gut reactions from last night people can't see how. Is it original? On Grey's, no way. Characters die all the time. Does it make the show better? Compel people to watch? Again, gut reaction says no.

I don't know what happened between Patrick and Shonda, and I'm not interested in taking anyone's side, but it seems that the people who will pay for this situation are the audience.  How forgiving will they be after they've lost yet another character?  Did Shonda cross a line with her viewers?  Will this reenergize her show or permanently damage it with loyal fans?

Unless people have a short memory ... I'm going with the latter. I really, really, really doubt fans will overlook this one.

With all the talk of character deaths, what shows have actually done it well?  Killed off a major character, without killing the show along with it?  I can't think of many.  MASH, for sure.  What shows are you still mad at?  For me, I can hold a grudge because I'm still mad about Laura on Knots Landing.  :-)  (I know sometimes shows have to do it, but I'm not a fan. I prefer they send characters off-screen if possible.)

ETA: Sorry to just surface from lurker-dom but I'm in an on-again, off-again relationship with Castle and am here catching up.  (on-again)

Editing again to remove GA remarks. 

Edited by tessaray

The problem with TV (and to a lesser degree movies), is that they can't always do what best serves the story. Actors leave, time and money are limited, and some things are just really hard to show on screen. Sometimes writers have to do things they wouldn't normally want to.

I think PD was really vague in his interview. I have no idea what he was thinking. It could be that he wanted to leave but was surprised by the storyline.

While I completely understand the feelings after last night's episode of Grey's Anatomy and the fascination with the behind-the-scenes issues, this seems to have overtaken the thread.

If you [universally speaking!] wish to continue this discussion, please feel free to do so in the Grey's Anatomy forum, so that this can go back to being more general in terms of favorite shows besides Castle.

Thank you!

With all the talk of character deaths, what shows have actually done it well?  Killed off a major character, without killing the show along with it?  I can't think of many.  MASH, for sure.  What shows are you still mad at?

Gilmore girls and they didn't even kill of a main character. They just completely ruined Lorelai in under 10 seconds and therefore the bread and butter Luke/Lorelai - at least they had been for me. The show ended in 2007 and I still can't watch it.

How forgiving will they be after they've lost yet another character?  Did Shonda cross a line with her viewers?  Will this reenergize her show or permanently damage it with loyal fans?

I'm not shipping anyone on that show, I just liked certain characters and Derek was one of them. I'm not sure yet if I will be back next season since there is no one really left, I wanna see. Alex maybe and Hunt but that's about it. His death was really a low blow and especially the way they did it. They should have just left him in D.C.

• Love 2

Gilmore girls and they didn't even kill of a main character. They just completely ruined Lorelai in under 10 seconds and therefore the bread and butter Luke/Lorelai - at least they had been for me. The show ended in 2007 and I still can't watch it.

I liked GG but didn't follow it closely enough to be outraged.  I do remember being very confused at the direction the show took, though.  It was never the same again after that. 

I was a HUGE How I Met Your Mother fan, but when they (spoiler alert if necessary) split up Robin and Barney after three years then offed the Mother, it was all over for me. I used to play reruns in the background of my day, but I can't even look at those now, knowing what I know.  I suppose I shouldn't hold a grudge after all this time, but I can't help it - I practically get a visceral reaction when I see it on TV now. 

• Love 2

I was a HUGE How I Met Your Mother fan, but when they (spoiler alert if necessary) split up Robin and Barney after three years then offed the Mother, it was all over for me. I used to play reruns in the background of my day, but I can't even look at those now, knowing what I know.  I suppose I shouldn't hold a grudge after all this time, but I can't help it - I practically get a visceral reaction when I see it on TV now. 

HATE, HATE, HATE!!!! Which is why I considered it fitting when CBS passed on How I Met Your Dad. Why? So the female could go back to another guy after hubby croaked?

I cannot watch repeats anymore. And got rid of the DVDs. That finale spit on and ruined everything for me.

• Love 3

I watched HIMYM for Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Seigel, and Alliston Hannigan. Cobie Smulders was also entertaining. But since I never liked the other guy, and Barney/Robin made no sense, the finale didn't bother me.

It's interesting that the show has not been turning up on the rerun channels though. Big Bang is on about four times a night and I saw three different Castle episodes tonight (still giggling over Hans von Mannshaft-- not sophisticated humour, but fun).

Orphan Black is back for Season Three, with more clones! The Returned is interesting, at least being remade in the USA we don't have to fuss with the subtities on the French version. The Goldbergs are fun as is Fresh Off The Boat.

But it looks as if Backstrom will be cancelled, which is a pity since it was sooooo different.  Very dark. Also Adam Beach. More proof that all Canadian men are handsomer than average.

I've been watching Secrets and Lies, at first like a car wreck, then with real interest and now I just want to see how it ends. I'm assuming it's a mini-series, but I suppose it can work like one of those shows with one crime per series. Problem is, this series only worked when you didn't know whether they cop was a good guy or a bad guy and bless Juliette Lewis for working that angle, even though I thought she was over-acting during the "train wreck" period. Does anyone know what the future holds for that show?

Right now, the show I most look forward to every week is Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. I remember when Castle was that show. Perhaps that says something about the state of scripted dramas. 

• Love 1

Juliete Lewis is an interesting actress. I loved her in Natural Born Killers. She has a memorable face. So many Hollywood actresses are to a type and hard to tell apart, no matter how talented they are.

It's interesting to compare the women on Coronation Street, especially those like Helen Worth who have gone through multiple husbands and lovers over the years, and wonder if they would have gone beyond 'friend of lead actress' in the States.

http://www.vettri.net/gallery/celeb/helen_worth/British-Soap-Awards-2012/Helen_Worth_BSA-2012_Vettri.Net-04.jpg

Shopping for my Castle replacement...yes, I'm a "defensive pessimist" and want a new show lined up when I'm sure my show's failed me.

Anything anyone can advise that is

1.  NOT from Shondaland. I dumped her when she pulled the "harvest baby from the womb" junk.

2.  Romance yes, long-term, frustrating WTWT, no.

3.  Comedy.  Doesn't take itself too seriously.

4.  Fun COTW.  Doesn't have to be all that plausible, just entertaining.

5.  Not vampire-ey or otherwise dark world-ey.

6.  Superheros are meh.

7.  Sci-fi is okay.

I was looking at "The Good Wife".  I know it's on its way down the tubes, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan makes it hard to resist.  Should I try it or is it like Castle -- a trap. 

I tried Empire because RATINGS, WOW!  I didn't get through one episode.  The music was mostly not my cup of tea.

What I watch:

Love Big Bang Theory.  Have yet to find a comedy as good this season..

Casually watch Scorpion, NCIS franchise.  I've been watching Blindspot, but they've already gotten far into eye-roll territory.

Limitless does nothing for me.  I want to punch the lead guy.

I like Nashvile as an unapologetic soap.  It helps that I love the music.

I once loved the Blacklist.  Now I casually watch.

Rizolli and Isles is on my DVR.

I've deleted Hawaii 5.0 from my DVR.

For whatever reason the networks don't seem to make powerhouse TV anymore.   I wonder if reality TV has dumbed things down.

So, other ideas?

Edited by TVWithPity

I love Jane the Virgin. Because the plot is so convoluted, you might want to binge watch the first season. Take notes. But comedy and soap opera? Great fun.

Planning to check out Crazy Ex-Girlfriend tonight (Canada has different schedules). Love Rachel Bloom's YouTube videos. Especially her ode to Ray Bradbury (Do NOT play this at work!!)

Murdoch Mysteries is on CBC if you are near the border. Yannick Bisson is gorgeous but the stories are good too.

http://static.parade.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/3-YannickBisson_MIPCOM2014-e1423838611314.jpg

I've been enjoying Blackish, The Goldbergs, and Fresh Off the Boat. The latter two are about kids, the first about parents.

Anyone else old enough to remember the first Goldbergs TV show?

Also a CBC show Young Drunk Punk , from one of the Kids in the Hall , now playing the father.

Orphan Black may be too dark also well into the third season, so....

I don't watch much serial tv, except 'Castle'. And 'TBBT' every once in great while. I prefer watching reruns of 'QAF' 'LOST' 'Big Valley', and of course my beloved 'Starsky & Hutch'.

Though I do watch 'Mysteries at the Museum/Monument' and 'Expedition Unknown'.

Hubby likes 'Agent of Shield', so maybe he'll get me into that.

I heartily second Jane the Virgin, The Goldbergs and Fresh off the Boat. Here are some other recommendations from someone who spends way too much quality time with her DVR:

New Fall Shows 

Quantico - crazy, twisty, with a good mix of soap operish drama and shoot-em-up action - probably my favorite of the new Fall batch

The Player - built on a whacked-out premise, but very good action stuff for a TV show

Life in Pieces  - Modern Family lite, not sure if I love it, but I like it well enough

Grandfathered and The Grinder - both built on one-note concepts, but likable actors make them fun

​Other Current Shows

Undateable - goofy, improvised comedy now being aired live - kind of dumb fun

You're the Worst - nearly R-rated FXX comedy with filthy jokes and unlikeable characters that you root for anyway

Madam Secretary - good if you like political issues dealt with by mature, considerate adults and not the bat-crap crazy folks on Scandal

Last Man on Earth - definitely a YMMV show - interesting concept, weird characters, bizarre twists

The Good Wife has kind of fallen in the past couple seasons, but if you went back and watched from the beginning you'd see one of the best dramas on broadcast TV. It peaked in season 5 though, then fell a lot. (S7 just started).

I've also really been enjoying Madam Secretary lately.

If you liked Parks and Recreation (RIP ::sniff::), I highly recommend Brooklyn 99. It keeps me laughing despite never expecting I'd enjoy Andy Samberg as a lead in anything. 

It's a midseason cable show, but I also highly recommend The Americans. It's very serialized, but such good acting and story. 

Edited by S55

If you liked Parks and Recreation (RIP ::sniff::), I highly recommend Brooklyn 99. It keeps me laughing despite never expecting I'd enjoy Andy Samberg as a lead in anything. 

It's a midseason cable show, but I also highly recommend The Americans. It's very serialized, but such good acting and story.

I love The Americans as well.

Another mid season cable show is Bates Motel. It's very dark, but very compelling. Also very serialized though.

Shows I watch currently: Better Call Saul, Bones, Castle, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Game of Thrones, Homeland, NCIS, Ray Donovan, The Big Bang Theory, Blacklist, The Walking Dead

Shows I used to watch (finished 'recently'): Breaking Bad, Chuck, Dexter, Hannibal, House, How I Met Your Mother, Psych, Spartacus, The Newsroom

I of course loved shows like Seinfeld etc, but tried to keep my list more recent. I also watched the first 2 seasons of The Strain but stopped, it got boring.

Game of Thrones/Ray Donovan and probably the shows I enjoy the most at the moment. I need to pick up more 'new' shows, a lot of what I'm currently watching are getting boring and I'm just watching purely out of habit. NCIS/Castle/The Walking Dead are 3 shows I'm only watching out of habit now.

Edited by Chado

I also recommend Jane the Virgin and Dara was smart to jump ship to them. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is fun in a Glee like way. The Sexy Getting Ready Song was cracking me up. Scream Queens is absurd and the best part is the music used in the scenes. Limitless is my fav of the new shows. UnReal is entertaining bts of a Bachelor type of show. Still enjoying the overall mystery on Quantico. The Americans is good spy drama with hilarious 80s disguises. Better Call Saul is more comedic than Breaking Bad but you don't need to see BB to watch it. IA with Grandfather and the Grinder having likeable actors. Agent Carter is better than AoS and more 40s spy caper than the constant superheroes you see every week on AoS. The dubsmash wars for charity between the casts is pretty entertaining. Over on Amazon I really enjoyed Alpha House and Mozart in the Jungle which are 30 min comedies. If you like short serialized British dramas I recommend Broadchurch and The Fall. The mini series The Honorable Woman was also pretty good. The early seasons of Burn Notice was fun until USA decided to make all their programing dark so the show turned more dark and I was watching the last couple of seasons out of habit. I forgot about the Netflix comedies Grace and Frankie while Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has annoying but catchy theme song. Bloodline is another murder mystery family drama set in the Florida Keys.

Edited by turnitwayup

Oh, I LOVE The Fall. So. Good. 

I didn't even think about streaming service TV shows, ha. I'd also recommend House of Cards. I recently watched the pilot of The Man in the High Castle on Amazon (based on a Philip K. Dick novel) and it was excellent. Can't wait for the rest of it to drop next month. I have Transparent and Catastrophe on my watch list on Amazon as well. 

I like Scream Queens but have only watched a couple of episodes, still don't feel I must keep up with the plot. Just in it for the ridiculous situations. Jamie Curtis is wonderful in anything.

I saw my first episode of Raised by Wolves, about the single mother of six kids by at least six fathers, a few days ago, and have added it to my 'try to remember to watch 'list. It's British and on CBC again.

Grace and Frankie  and Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt I binge watched last month. G&F was wonderfully scripted and acted. Real grownup emotions. UKS had so much silly but I don't find Jon Hamm all that great a comedian. (Loved Mad Men though.)

Just started watching Boston Legal reruns, and am thrilled to have another show that entertains me the way that Castle once did. And its nice that I'm old enough to have forgotten the details of the episodes so they're almost new to me, LOL. Someone on the PTV Boston Legal thread suggested that people watch a snippet from the Scientology episode. One really interesting thing was the snippet had a well done -- fart joke! -- in it. The beauty of it was that in a fraction of a minute, the writer completely justified crassness to the viewing audience. It made sense! I thought it was amazingly well crafted humor, after watching the 8x05 Castle fart joke that crashed and burned so very badly. Link: http://www.break.com/video/ugc/alan-shore-what-is-scientology-1975711. People could learn a great deal about humor from this show.

Anyway, interesting comparison.

Of course Boston Legal is loaded with excellent story lines, mostly intelligent humor (albeit a few fart - like jokes), and a larger than life cast. Why David Kelly as showrunner hasn't had more recent success, I'll never know.

I should mention.  I don't remember, but in reading up on the show, I think the show that replaced Boston Legal was.....Castle.  Monday 10pm is apparently my timeslot ;-).

Edited by TVWithPity