Type keyword(s) to search

The TV Beyond Castle Thread: What Other TV Shows Are Your Favorites?

My favourite shows are:

The Americans

Broad City

Cosmos

Game of Thrones

The Good Wife

Mad Men

True Detective

and of course Louie

These shows are the best, at least in 2014 year. I recommend to use tvstock.net for downloading these shows.

Edited by denissenco

Oh my lawd. This has turned into an awesome thread. It's become kind of a guilty pleasure/favorite childhood/formative years/great UK television most Americans never got to see and so much more!

I adored old Dallas. I very distinctly remember being six years old and running around the playground with a JR Ewing t-shirt my folks had screen printed for me. Because, ya know, how many six year old girls are running around with a pink JR Ewing t-shirt? I had a fairly deep obsession with ol JR. Looking back, I'm not quite sure why I was watching a nighttime soap with my parents, but that's how we rolled. It was the 80's.

I loved Dynasty too. Alexis Carrington was the shit. She had such fabulous outfits. It was obs that Luke wasn't dressing anyone in that cast. And I always felt bad for that poor Linda Evans. She just never stood a chance.

I'm just going to throw a few things out there. Things like Knight Rider. And Alf. And Baywatch.

But on a more serious note, there were some great comedies of the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

- The Jeffersons

- Good Times ("Dy-no-mite!")

- All in the Family

- Maude (who doesn't love Bea Arthur? She is a Golden Girl, after all

- Mary Tyler Moore

- Happy Days

- Sanford and Son ("You hear that, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you, honey!")

- Family Ties (I had a deep and unhealthy obsession with MJF)

- Diff'rent Strokes

I could go on and on and likely will at some later time. ;)

Looking back, I'm not quite sure why I was watching a nighttime soap with my parents, but that's how we rolled. It was the 80's.

I used to watch it with my mother too. I have these really vivid memories of watching it, although I don't necessarily remember story lines.  She sometimes fell asleep watching it and when she woke up asked me what I missed.  And since I was little and didn't really get half of what happened I never filled her in very well.

• Love 1

I'm having problems due to being in temporary accomodation for a couple of months, and this joint doesn't get On Demand. But I have been watching Halt and Catch Fire (missed final episode) which turns out to be a Whedon show (Zach) and Hell on Wheels (because: Common).

Watched a couple of episodes of Walking Dead and found myself obsessing about who did their hair. I mean, they all have very cool and character driven haircuts (yes, that's a thing). But who is still barbering during the Zombie Apocalypse?

(edited)

I didn't know where else to put this so I'll post it here:

I worked with Robin Williams on Good Will Hunting. The day I met him (I was actually standing next to Stephen Spielberg - long story) he walked up to me, held out his hand, and said, "hi, I'm Robin" and shook my hand. My mouth dropped open in my shock. He was one of the nicest people I ever worked with and I loved telling people that story. I just keep replaying that day in my head.

As a clinician, I can tell you that there's not enough resources dedicated to mental health. There's not enough providers, enough funding, and there's still too much stigma attached. I think it was really great that he was so open with his struggle with depression. The problem with this disease is that it's lifelong and it gets worse, not better. We'll miss you Robin. The world is darker in your absence.

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 1

I never met Robin Williams (and you were lucky to have done so, @Elysium1973!), but I think it's telling at just how hard his death has hit not only his loved ones (duh!), but the average fans/people. The makeshift memorials in Colorado (at the Mork & Mindy house) and Boston (near the bench used in Good Will Hunting) say that much.

And it's telling how it seems like NO ONE has a bad word to say about the man. How ironic that a man who spent so much time trying to make others happy and was so charitable with his talent, time, and money just couldn't spare any of that happiness for himself.  :-(  It's still a shock, and he will be missed.

I did read that the Emmys are working on a tribute for the 8/25 telecast.

• Love 1

How ironic that a man who spent so much time trying to make others happy and was so charitable with his talent, time, and money just couldn't spare any of that happiness for himself.  :-(  It's still a shock, and he will be missed.

It's so unbelievably sad that a man that brought so much joy and happiness to so many people maybe didn't feel that in his own life. And if his death has to serve any purpose, I hope it's a reminder that not everyone that laughs is happy. There will be a lot of speculation and details that come out in the next days/weeks and maybe it will all lead to a better understanding of what he was thinking and feeling, but it won't ever be enough. Thanks for the laughs and the smiles and the joy, Mr. Williams. I can do nothing but wish for peace for him and comfort for his family, friends, and fans.

(There's also a memorial at the Mrs. Doubtfire house in San Francisco, I think.)

• Love 1

When I read this today, I realized I had shamefully left this off my TV list on this thread. But this was the best news I've read all week! 

Spenser: For Hire - Is That a Bucket of Ice? NO! They're DVDs for 'The Complete 1st Season'!

I remember watching the TV show first (probably because my mom did), then in middle school, I picked up one of the Robert B. Parker novels off a discount table at a bookstore and was HOOKED. I caught up on all the past books and read each new one that was published from that moment forward. And was terribly sad when Parker passed away. :( 

As an aside, I always thought Nathan could play this role if they wanted to reboot the show (or do more TV movies) and I was thrilled when he said in an interview a few years back that he loved the Spenser series of books too. :) One of my favorite things about Spenser in the books is he aged (which doesn't happen often) and realistically so. That and his fantastic relationships with Hawk, Susan and his & Susan's dog(s). ;) 

Edited by S55

You will be sorely missed Robin Williams, thank you for all the laughter and joy you gave so many people. Some of the unseemly reporting of his death has left me disgusted but sadly not shocked. A major news network sending a helicopter to fly over his family home. What were they thinking? *shakes head*  

I feel sorry for his family having to go through that media circus. Thanks for the story Elysium, he sounds from all reports to have been a great guy. I believe Billy Crystal a long time friend is going to do a tribute at the Emmy's,  

Dallas and Dynasty were staples of my viewing when I was growing up and I'm pleased to think I was right there watching the first time Joan Collins makes her grand entrance on Dynasty and a soap opera legend was born.  Her wardrobe was indeed fantastic and added so much to the character (that's how you do it Luke) and those hats! Of course both shows were amazingly silly looking back but oh they were such fun. 

The Golden Girls was so funny, I think they're all passed away now sadly. Came across this short clip trawling youtube with Blanche and Dorothy and it always make me giggle. Dorothy's reaction. Heh. Blanche is right though. Such a great cast. 

Better Late Than. . .

Knight Rider was awesome too, loved that show and I admit I had a big crush back then on David Hasselhoff, I can't believe I just said that.  

I also remember being addicted to The A Team mostly because my dad adored it so I ended up watching it with him and then got hooked. That was incredibly silly too even watching it back then we would both be eye rolling as they got shot by a million and one bullets without suffering a scratch and I remember once them managing to escape out of a helicopter crashing over a cliff unscathed by just leaping out. LOL 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I'm posting this here since I think it's where it best fits. Does anyone else have the Sophie's choice dilemma of Mondays at 10?? Castle is my first love, so I will watch that live, but then how to choose between Spader and LL Cool J????????????????  I'm thinking I will have to DVR Blacklist and catch LA on demand. Good thing I don't have anything before 9:00 on Tuesdays! gack.

The Blacklist certainly does seem to have acquired quite a following, I've heard a lot of hype about it from a lot of people but never watched an episode. I like James Spader but always remember him from Pretty in Pink for some reason which shows how old and stuck in the past I am. He's done more since then of course but that's the role that always pops up there first in my brain. I'm not up on all the scheduling on the various shows but isn't the Blacklist going to move later this year to Thursday nights? 

verdana you must give Blacklist a try. I've been a big fan of Spader's since the 80's and his work on The Practice with Shatner was terrific. He's got an eidetic memory and I think it really benefits his acting. I think it was the best new show last year. And he was robbed of an Emmy nom.

What new shows look good to people? I might check out Blackish bc I love Fishburne. That Forever show is a possibility. There's other things I'm forgetting.

I'm excited about Gotham and The Flash because I have an interest in the genre (and also I watch Arrow currently). I remember doing a survey for the ABC Advisory Panel with summaries of all the fall/midseason pilots and very few really grabbed me. 

Edited by S55

I'm excited about Gotham and The Flash because I have an interest in the genre (and also I watch Arrow currently). I remember doing a survey for the ABC Advisory Panel with summaries of all the fall/midseason pilots and very few really grabbed me.

Very few grabbed me, too.Maybe I would have felt the same about Castle on paper, but a lot of the summaries just sounded ... stupid.

That said, I'm suffering super hero fatigue, so Gotham and The Flash are just as boring.

Oh good call Wendy, Donal Logue was terrific in SVU. He was a real breath of fresh air that they needed. Especially with Dann Florrek and Belzer gone.

Gotham looks interesting, but I'm kind of not into those kind of shows. My sister loves them, so I'm sure it'll be on somewhere.

How to Get Away With Murder is on my list and I'll probably check out Gracepoint (which is based on Broadchurch - which I haven't seen. What do the UK peeps think of that show? Any good?)

So I was just looking around the Internet when I came across this:

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2014/gillian-anderson-david-duchovny-love-attraction-relationship-huffpo-interview-video/

For all current/former Philes (fans of X-Files) you've got to see that video. I'm trying to find just the right avatar to show my approval.

Here's another little piece about their twitter interactions:

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2014/david-duchovny-gillian-anderson-flirts-dating-twitter-couple-married-date/

Of course that site is trashy, but you can't refute her interview and his tweets.

I know. We're not supposed to care about actors personal lives and ship them in real life and blah blah blah. But, c'mon, it's Mulder and Scully!

And you can take the Fillions and the Boreanaz-es. Give me David Duchovny any day. Please? Why won't he love me? Maybe Bree Sharp knows. ;)

Broadchurch was great. Olivia Colman as Ellie Miller was amazing. Not sure if I'll watch Gracepoint but I'm curious who the new killer is cause I heard they changed it. I did notice David's American accent sounds a bit weird in the promos but maybe it'll sound better on the show.

And you can take the Fillions and the Boreanaz-es. Give me David Duchovny any day. Please? Why won't he love me? Maybe Bree Sharp knows. ;)

Yeah David is still my fav. I think I've seen almost everything he's done. I was just finshed marathoning the last 2 seasons of Calfornication. Surprisingly I did enjoy the last season spent on the Santa Monica Cop set and all the weird writers on the show tho I could do without the son he never knew he had. I really hope that doesn't happe to Castle. It was bad enough on Gimore Girls. Brad Whitford is probably my 2nd fav. Gillian as 3rd. I would rank Nathan as probably 4th since I've seen most but none of his voice work stuff since I've never really been into any animation since middle school.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 1

So I was just looking around the Internet when I came across this:

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2014/gillian-anderson-david-duchovny-love-attraction-relationship-huffpo-interview-video/

For all current/former Philes (fans of X-Files) you've got to see that video. I'm trying to find just the right avatar to show my approval.

Here's another little piece about their twitter interactions:

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2014/david-duchovny-gillian-anderson-flirts-dating-twitter-couple-married-date/

Of course that site is trashy, but you can't refute her interview and his tweets.

I know. We're not supposed to care about actors personal lives and ship them in real life and blah blah blah. But, c'mon, it's Mulder and Scully!

Phile here! Yeah, with the XF nostalgia tour last year to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the show, all the DD & GA appearances, combined with their flirty tweets to each other since, certainly led you to believe they were more friendly toward each other than was rumored during some points while filming the show. ;) I think time away from that grind (& each other) has a LOT to do with it. I saw them at the Paley Center event in NYC last fall (best Paley event ever IMO by the way), and their behavior with each other was ~interesting to say the least. lol And, hey, they're both officially single now (read just last week DD's divorce from Tea is complete), so who knows? Maybe it's like high school friends who meet up 20+ years later and decide to give a shot. ;) 

OMG S55 you got to see the infamous NY appearance? I've seen clips and it looks like they want to eat each other. It's almost like no one was there except them. I can't believe you actually witnessed this in person! If you feel like it, PM me and tell me everything in detail. Lots of detail.

The interesting thing about them is that they had years were they didn't get along. Clearly all is forgiven and forgotten. I wonder if 20 years from now NF and SK have more tolerance of all this mess and can just be normal around each other. I have to say that XF did a pretty good job of keeping the fact that they didn't get along for a few years pretty quiet. But at the same time, that was before the era of twitter.

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 1

Elysium1973 I am a huge XPhile as well (I love your avatar!) and spent some serious time on alt.tv.x-files. While those Philes knew, you're right; the general media wasn't aware. Mostly because of the amazing photoshoots they used to do, and that one in Rolling Stone on the gurney was one of their best. Man, I miss that show!**

So many actors who are "together" on screen have delusional fans harassing them about being together in real life - certainly NF and SK are not the first, and won't be the last. It will be interesting to learn down the line just what exactly was going on during the show's run. I remain impressed that nothing has leaked.

**the latter seasons excluded - I pretend they don't exist.

• Love 2

Thanks for the rec, Georgie! I have watched a few NT productions in the theatre (Frankenstein with JLM and BC, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime) and it was really good. I try and figure out the Cineplex website to see if the same theatre will get her show.

• Love 1

Watched the season premiere of Person of Interest. If somebody doesn't watch it (do it quickly!), in the middle of last season one of the core characters, a detective was killed. It was a shock, she was even more liked than Montgomery in Castle. Unlike in Castle it has a multi episode long emotional aftermath on the others, which was carefully and believably resolved after a few episode. Now, half a season later and without any case importance they made a small, beautifully subtle scene in her honor. When Marlowe talks about the new mythology first he should learn how to care about the existing, old ones.

This ended up being part of my post in the media thread, but it really belongs in here.  Just some thoughts on The Mindy Project after giving it a go again this season. The comedy is still a bit hit and miss with me, but so far they are writing the couple that's finally gotten together really well.  Funny, charming, romantic, sexy whilst touching on real issues that come with a new romance.

I checked out The Mindy Project after seeing that charming clip with the Castle reference.  I'd checked out the pilot when it first aired because I do think Mindy Kaling is a talented writer, but the comedy and the tone weren't quite strong enough to hook me.  Fast forward to the end of last season and I read some critical praise for the way that show resolved its WT/WT in true romantic fashion.  So I checked out how they did it and loved it.  Show had definitely improved.  Mindy's an unabashed lover of romantic comedies (as is the character she plays) and that definitely comes through in her writing of the romance and the comedy on the show.

I was curious to see how that show would fare with the writing of a couple in a relationship after the WT/WT had been resolved as that is often tricky territory, and after watching the first 2 episodes of their new season, I come away impressed.  Those 2 episodes are worth a look for people who enjoy good romantic comedy, and for Castle viewers even for comparison's sake, just to see how much we missed out on seeing with Castle/Beckett, how it could have been done more satisfyingly, and to enjoy it somewhat with another cute couple. ;)   All the lost potential for romance, comedy, heart, relationship growth.  Not to mention abundant sexy times.  The writers there actually realise what a honeymoon period means (it's more the tone than anything graphic), and know how to balance it out with interesting, relevant and realistic relationship growing pains and adjustment from friendship to romantic relationship.  Ep. 2 with the Castle reference dealt with meeting the mother in law, and I got to say that brunch meeting was far more entertaining than the pure awkwardness in our dinner with parents on Castle

I didn't really love Parks & Rec in its 1st season but I stuck with it and it became great from S2 onwards and is still one of the funniest shows ever going into its final S7.  So I'm going to see if I like The Mindy Project any better now.

I'm finding that I still enjoy some quality network comedies like Parks & Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine but in terms of drama, I generally much prefer cable dramas, with the exception of The Good Wife which really is a quality drama even deep into its run.  I wonder why?  

There was discussion about how much of network TV is derivative in another thread.  TGW can be broadly classified as a legal procedural, I guess, but its ambitions were more than that even in the beginning in the way it wove a really rich tapestry of characters together and its storytelling became more serialised and evolved much beyond COTW.  That's one mark of a quality show.  Castle just hasn't really grown beyond being a typical crime procedural.  Nothing wrong with that per se, but they no longer do their brand of comfort food (lighthearted, witty romantic comedy) as well as they did at the start.  And the ways in which it has evolved to tackle 'high stakes' mythology storylines (but without much of a serialised emotional component to it) hasn't really been well executed on the show.

Edited by madmaverick

So ... I don't remember in which thread we were talking about ABC's new show "Forever" (something something Castle replacement?) and I thought this was interesting. Seems "Forever" isn't an original concept - in fact, the show seems eerily similar to a book by the same name. I know nothing in the arts is truly original, but this borders on a bit too similar for coincidence, I think. Too bad the author is going to loose that battle (his best bet is the show tanks), though it doesn't seem like he's going to do anything about. (The article says the creator of the show has never read the book, but you'd think ABC (or its lawyers) would put a bit more effort into seeing if anything else out there is that similar.)

I wasn't really interested in seeing the show anyway, but that's probably (pardon the pun) the final nail in the coffin.

There was also a show a few years ago about a NYC cop that was immortal and had been around for hundreds of years. I would have called Forever a rip-off of that before I even knew there was a book.

Are you, perhaps, thinking of Forever Knight? Because that was about an angst-filled remorseful vampire named Nick Knight who became a cop to help people. It was in the mid '90s but took place in Toronto, not NYC.

Oh, wait...maybe you're thinking of Moonlight from around 2007? Funnily enough, he was also a vampire cop named Mick. Ah, originality, wherefore art thou?

No, I was thinking of New Amsterdam.  

I guess even immortality isn't that original of a concept anymore.  Maybe they should do a show where characters die at the end of every episode, so that each week they have a new cast.

Even that seems to (sort of!) been done: Kenny on South Park (okay, a cartoon and where "You killed Kenny! YOU BASTARDS!" has gained pop culture catchphrase status!) dies every episode. But he comes back none the worse for wear, so...

There was also a show a few years ago about a NYC cop that was immortal and had been around for hundreds of years. I would have called Forever a rip-off of that before I even knew there was a book.

Yep, New Amsterdam main character was an immortal homicide cop with brunette female partner. Also had a kid that looks older than him that knows his secrets. While Henry "died" in a subway car, John Amsterdam has a heart attack on the subway in the pilots. His one true love to make him mortal was a doctor that saved him. He thinks that she must have been near him in the subway station which supposedly caused his heart attack. Henry saves a slave while John saves an Indian woman. Of what I remember of the show, John's backstory and flashbacks were the most interesting parts. Being the 3rd mid season replacement on Monday night against Heroes, it was probably already doom.

So far I've seen 2 Forever promos tonight. One during OUaT and now during Revenge. I skipped Reseurection so there could be a promo during that hr too. Pretty sure I saw promo during last week's Nashville and HTGAWM. ABC is running the whole everyone's fav doctor one a lot.

The Hollywood Reporter shared its 2014 Power Showrunners list today (I believe in conjunction with Shonda Rhimes' cover story for the new issue). Several of the TV shows I watch are represented (rightly IMO, especially Robert & Michelle King). It's an interesting piece for both who's on the list...and who's ~not. ;) 

Early into the season and already saw a heated adult flashback on The Good Wife.  Nothing graphic, only a few seconds, but hot!  Now that's a show that actually knows how to use light and shadow judiciously to film a sex scene and make things hot with what little they show you.  Just a few seconds but enough to show a passionate relationship.

Still watching The Mindy Project this season (after picking it up in last season's finale where the couple got together) as it explores the life of a new couple as they transition from friends to lovers, and it compares very favourably to what they did on Castle in S5 post Always.  The A-story in the last episode was about the new couple navigating sexual boundaries (with misunderstandings, lies, laughs and hijinks) and resolved in a way that cemented relationship growth.  Nope, we never saw them tackle a relevant storyline like that on Castle, nothing remotely like that (in a funny and grown up way) on Castle.  All we got was superficial jokes about ice cubes and fonting and Beckett doing something that Castle liked. ;)    The Mindy Project is a comedy with around 20 min episodes.  A-story takes up about half of that.  If Castle could use 10 mins per episode doing a funny/romantic/thoughtful Caskett story, I'd be a happy camper.  

• Love 2

Early into the season and already saw a heated adult flashback on The Good Wife.  Nothing graphic, only a few seconds, but hot!  Now that's a show that actually knows how to use light and shadow judiciously to film a sex scene and make things hot with what little they show you.  Just a few seconds but enough to show a passionate relationship.

This. So. Much. The Good Wife may have had its bumpy patches, but I dare say it's hitting the mark consistently right now (at least ever since it finally ditched the storyline about Kalinda's awful ex-husband. Blech!). 

So I didn't know where else to put this, but apparently Seamus is on a game show right now (8PM EST) on Game Show Network. But I know there are fans of Lois and Clark here too, so you should also know Dean Cain is on it, too.

It's actually kind of fun.

So for anyone not in EST and a fan of Seamus Dever, I'd recommend you watch that episode of The Chase. He's a very, very smart man. If I didn't love him already, that probably would have done it.

I agree he killed it on that show.

I loved that they taunted Dean Cain about riding Seamus's coattails and Dean was like "yeah, can't deny that" and Seamus was all "no, no, we're a team!" But he only got, what, one question wrong? I mean, some of them weren't that hard, but I had no clue on a few. His range of knowledge kind of wowed me.

I mentioned awhile back that one of my "can't miss" shows is The Newsroom, which just started its final (::sniff::) season two weeks ago. Really liking it so far! Also, The Comeback is back. It only had a single season ages ago on HBO, but it was so funny (IMO) and ahead of the TV trends for back then. If you haven't seen the first season, I recommend it. I think it's on Netflix (?). This season is equally hilarious and I hope maybe it'll get another season, but we won't have to wait another nearly 10 years. 

This isn't actually TV beyond Castle, more like in addition to Castle, but I was perusing this thread, and it appears the show is in some very fine company. As we know, Castle takes place in NYC (albeit not filmed there), as do many other procedural cop shows that do film there, a la Blue Bloods, the entire Law & Order franchise (minus L&O: Los Angeles and L&O: UK for obvious reasons!), and the recently-axed Unforgettable.

All of these shows and some non-cop shows have all used Hudson University in an episode or more. I find it amusing. So hey, maybe Beckett can have a chat with Olivia Benson! Or mention Jack McCoy. (Or maybe not, competing networks or copyright!) But it's something to imagine!

Here is a Wikipedia article listing many shows which have used it, if you're curious about that stuff and want to pass some time.

• Love 1