Type keyword(s) to search

Secret Invasion in the Media

• Start Topic

Marvel’s Secret Invasion Show To Start Filming In April 

Marvel-Secret-Invasion-Logo.jpg?q=50&fit

Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion Disney+ show will be starring Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Talos (Ben Mendelsohn), the shapeshifting Skrull, seen in Captain Marvel and Spider-Man: Far From Home. This series focuses on a group of Skrull aliens that have ingrained themselves into our society through leadership and other high-ranking positions as a backdoor threat to weaken the Earth.

Secret Invasion is rumored to begins production on April 5. 

• Love 1

Kingsley Ben-Adir To Star In Marvel’s ‘Secret Invasion’ Series For Disney+
By Nellie Andreeva   March 15, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/03/kingsley-ben-adir-star-marvels-secret-invasion-series-disney-plus-1234714269/ 

EXCLUSIVE: One Night In Miami star Kingsley Ben-Adir will play a lead opposite Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn in Secret Invasion, the upcoming Marvel series for Disney+, Deadline has learned.

In Secret Invasion, Jackson and Mendelsohn reprise their MCU characters Nick Fury and the Skrull Talos, respectively, who first met in Captain Marvel. The crossover comic event series showcases a faction of shape-shifting Skrulls who have been infiltrating Earth for years. I hear Ben-Adir will play a lead villain on the show. Marvel Studio declined comment.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

‘Secret Invasion’: Christopher McDonald Joins Marvel Series For Disney+
By Nellie Andreeva    May 26, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/05/christopher-mcdonald-cast-secret-invasion-marvel-disney-plus-1234764813/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Christopher McDonald (Happy Gilmore) is the latest big name to join Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn in Secret Invasion, the upcoming Marvel series for Disney+, Deadline has learned.

In Secret Invasion, Jackson and Mendelsohn reprise their MCU characters Nick Fury and the Skrull Talos, respectively, who first met in Captain Marvel. The crossover comic event series showcases a faction of shape-shifting Skrulls who have been infiltrating Earth for years.

Details about the role are being kept under wraps, but I hear it is a newly created character that could cross over to the larger MCU, including appearing in movies and other Disney+ limited series. A rep for Marvel declined comment.

The cast of Secret Invasion is expected to also include Olivia Colman, Emilia Clarke, Kingsley Ben-Adir and Killian Scott.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Marvel's Secret Invasion: Emilia Clarke Reveals Real Reason She Joined Disney+ Series (Exclusive)
By JENNA ANDERSON - June 3, 2021 
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/secret-invasion-mcu-tv-show-spoilers-emilia-clarke-interview/ 

With major roles in the Game of Thrones and Star Wars franchises, Emilia Clarke has undoubtedly become a household name. Last month, Clarke's latest high-profile project was officially announced, with confirmation that she has been cast in Marvel's Secret Invasion, an upcoming series set to make its debut on Disney+. While we don't know exactly who Clarke will be playing in the series, especially as production isn't set to begin until later this year, the idea of her joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe has definitely appealed to fans — and, it turns out, to Clarke as well. ComicBook.com recently got a chance to chat with Clarke about her upcoming Image Comics miniseries M.O.M.: Mother of Madness, which will publish its first issue next month. Along the way, we asked Clarke about what drew her to Secret Invasion, and to Marvel as a whole.

"I just think what they're doing right now is so exciting and so cool, and so on the cutting edge of it. I feel like they're like the Apple of this world," Clarke explained. "To be part of that family feels like, 'Oh my god, I'm in the cool kid crowd. That's so cool.' Honestly speaking, the people that are making this are what pushed me over the line to really wanting to do it. I just think that everyone's heart and heads are in the right place with this one."

Secret Invasion is expected to draw inspiration from the 2008 comic storyline of the same name, and center around MCU veterans Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Talos (Ben Mendelsohn) as they deal with an invasion of shape-shifting Skrulls who have infiltrated all aspects of life on Earth. In addition to Clarke, new cast members will include Kingsley Ben-Adir, Olivia Colman, Christopher McDonald, and Killian Scott. The series will be written and executive produced by Kyle Bradstreet, and directed by Thomas Bezucha and Ali Selim.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Shang-Chi Producer Jonathan Schwartz Developing Secret Invasion Disney+ Series (Exclusive)
By Russ Milheim    September 01, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/shang-chi-jonathan-schwartz-secret-invasion-producer-disney-plus-series-exclusive 

The Direct recently spoke with Shang-Chi and Marvel Studios producer Jonathan Schwartz about his projects in the Marvel Cinematic Universe going forward.
"I’m currently working on a show for Disney+ called Secret Invasion , about which I can say very little. And then I’m also developing a feature that will be a few years down the line, about which I can say literally nothing."
“I think like you said, like all of our adaptations, it’s definitely not a 1:1 adaptation of the comic books, although it takes a lot of that kind of paranoid spirit, and runs with it. I think that’s literally everything I can say about it. We’re going to leave the secret in Secret Invasion for now.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

September 2021: London On Screen and Filming
1 Sep 2021
https://filmlondon.org.uk/latest/september-2021-london-on-screen-and-filming 

Spoiler

Currently Filming

If you're a fan of Marvel, then make sure to keep an eye out for Avengers founding man Nick Fury, aka Samuel L. Jackson, who is currently on the streets of London filming the Disney+ superhero series Secret Invasion. With a stellar cast full of London talent including Olivia Colman, Emilia Clarke and Kingsley Ben-Adir, Nick Fury and alien Talos try to stop the extra-terrestrial, shapeshifting Skrulls from causing destruction after infiltrating the the Marvel Universe.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Secret Invasion: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Vet Chloe Bennet Firmly Denies Involvement in New Marvel Series
By Matt Webb Mitovich / September 22 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/09/22/secret-invasion-chloe-bennet-not-playing-quake-agents-of-shield/

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. alum Chloe Bennet has a message for those expecting her to play a role in Disney+’s upcoming Secret Invasion series: “I am in no way attached or involved.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

EXCLUSIVE: Details on Olivia Colman’s ‘Secret Invasion’ Character
Charles Murphy    September 24, 2021
https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/exclusive-details-on-olivia-colmans-secret-invasion-character/ 

Spoiler

While Disney and Marvel Studios are working hard to keep her character’s identity a secret, we can share that Colman is portraying a mysterious spy with a commanding “Fury-esque” presence. Indeed the series will be as spy-heavy as expected, with a half-dozen spy roles, including this one. Like Fury, Colman’s character will be a bit of a puppeteer who does and has done a lot of her dirty work behind the scenes. We’ve also learned that in addition to Colman’s character being a major player in Secret Invasion, she’s also set to return in the role in other projects down the road.

We’ve already seen Marvel Studios introduce Julia Louis-Dreyfus‘ Valentina Allegra de Fontaine into the mix of shadowy characters with their own agendas; adding Colman as another master spy with a bit of a European influence (as you know from previous reports, Secret Invasion is doing a lot of location filming in and around the UK) will expand the universe and also make it a little less trustworthy. Secret Invasion should begin principal photography soon and is expected to stream on Disney Plus in 2022.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Some stuff from the Disney+ Day about Secret Invasion

FEAfymyUUAMZwoa?format=jpg&name=medium

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn as a Skrull named Talos team up in this Secret Invasion series about a faction of shape-shifting Skrulls who have been infiltrating Earth for years.

FEAhZkyVkAEVJp1?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoilers describing where Skulls appear in MCU movies and TV shows to influence events.

Spoiler

The mid-credits sequences from Far From Home showed that Fury and Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders) were really Skrulls, Talos and Soren. So, at the end of the day it wasn’t Fury and Hill who tapped Spider-Man to battle monsters in Far From Home, it was Talos and Soren. During Talos’ time on Earth as Fury, the real Fury was floating in space on a spaceship with Skrulls. In the WandaVision post-credits we see Monica Rambeau being hired by a for a mysterious mission.

Also starring on Secret Invasion are Emilia Clarke, Kingsley Ben-Adir, Olivia Colman, Carmen Ejogo, Christopher McDonald, and Killian Scott.

Jonathan Schwartz produces.

• Love 1

2022 TV Preview: House of the Dragon, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Naomi, She-Hulk and 16 More Shows We're Excited About
By Team TVLine / December 31 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/best-new-tv-shows-2022-house-of-the-dragon-obi-wan-kenobi/  

SECRET INVASION (Disney+)
WHY IT EXCITES US: The Skrulls of it all promises to make this series very important in the larger scheme of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, especially if Nick Fury and Talos (played again by Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn, respectively) reveal along the way that certain movie characters weren’t quite who they appeared to be.

SERIES PREMIERE DATE: 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

A listing on the Marvel Studios Japan website suggests that Secret Invasion could be released in the fall of 2022 on Disney+...

Official Marvel Site May Confirm Four Disney+ Shows in Summer 2022
By ADAM BARNHARDT - January 15, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-site-confirms-four-shows-release-schedule-summer-2022/ 

The Iman Vellani-starring Ms. Marvel is then listed after Thor: Love and Thunder, but still holds a "Summer 2022" release time window, suggesting the series could release sometime in the dog days of summer around August or September. Secret Invasion is then listed prior to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which is due out in theaters this November.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-15-at-4.36.30-PM.png 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

'It's incredibly exciting!' - town's reaction to reports that new Marvel series is about to start filming in Halifax
By Sarah Fitton   14th January 2022,
https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/people/its-incredibly-exciting-towns-reaction-to-reports-that-new-marvel-series-is-about-to-start-filming-in-halifax-3527728 

As first reported by the Courier on Wednesday, it is understood the latest six-part series from Marvel - Secret Invasion - is what will be filmed at the historic venue later this month.

Halifax's MP, Holly Lynch said: "I confess to being a massive Marvel geek and so the prospect of filming taking place here in Halifax is incredibly exciting!
As reported by the Courier, The Piece Hall will shut between Monday, January 24 and Monday, January 31 for filming of what is understood to be Jambalaya.

According to a number of online sources, that is the working title for Marvel's much-anticipated series Secret Invasion, starring Hollywood legend Samuel Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn.

Filming for the six-episode series, which also features performances from Oscar-winner Olivia Colman and Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke, began in London last year and is due to be released on Disney+.

There has already been activity in The Piece Hall courtyard thought to be related to the upcoming filming, including the arrival of lorries, small tents and set-building equipment.

From January 21, there will be road closures in place around The Piece Hall and the filming team will be preparing the area for filming, including setting up large lighting frames and rigs.

Businesses inside the Piece Hall will be shut while filming is taking place from January 24, and there will be no access to The Piece Hall.

There will be 260 members of cast and extras plus 200 members of crew involved in the project.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Leaked pic/info from Secret Invasion set...

MCU: New Set Video Spoils Russian Scene In Disney+'s Secret Invasion
By Savannah Sanders    Jan 20, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-secret-invasion-set-video-disney-plus 

Twitter user @SInvasionNews posted photos and video of a Secret Invasion set located at Halifax Piece Hall in West Yorkshire, England, where Russian banners are displayed that read "National Unity Day."

In another tweet, @SInvasionNews shared the following message:

"Seems that they seem to be shooting some huge scene of gathering of a huge event with Russians flags and signs hung around to celebrate “National Unity Day.”
Still, it's worth noting that the event is an actual, real-world affair. Russia holds a national celebration known as "Unity Day" each year on November 4. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Live updates as Samuel L Jackson and Emilia Clarke arrive in Leeds to start filming Marvel Secret Invasion
By Jonathan Pritchard And Alex Grant    Sunday, 23rd January 2022
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/arts-and-culture/film-and-tv/live-updates-as-samuel-l-jackson-and-emilia-clarke-arrive-in-leeds-to-start-filming-marvel-secret-invasion-3538250 

Hollywood superstars such as Samuel L Jackson and Emilia Clarke are in Leeds today to shoot the latest Marvel production.

Preparation has been getting underway for a number of days in West Yorkshire for the shooting to begin. A number of roads are closed in Leeds city centre, while a set has been created at The Piece Hall in Halifax.

The series is due to be shot in Leeds today (Jan 23) before moving across to The Piece Hall for the rest of the week.

0_GSB_6007.jpg

(pic source)

53265849-10432253-image-m-63_16429366889

(pic source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Marvel's Secret Invasion Show MCU Timeline & Story Details Revealed

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said the Secret Invasion television series will take place within the MCU timeline "during the Blip, when half of the Universe was decimated by Thanos, and will explore the events that happened in that period." This raises puzzling questions of whether Nick Fury and Maria Hill were alive or killed by Thanos during the blip.

• Love 1
(edited)

SECRET INVASION | Marvel Comic Con 2022 Panel (Cobie Smulders)
Films That Rock   Jul 24, 2022

Maria Hill vs Nick Fury, the Secret of MCU's Secret Invasion with Cobie Smulders - 2022 SDCC
Phase Zero    Jul 24, 2022

Cobie Smulders says Secret Invasion will 'do a deep dive' into Nick Fury and his life
By Oliver Gettell  July 24, 2022
https://ew.com/events/comic-con/cobie-smulders-secret-invasion-interview-comic-con-2022/

"The great thing that the series gives us the opportunity to do is really dive into the characters more, really explore their relationships with each other," Smulders said. "It was just really exciting to shoot these scenes with Sam that were like, we weren't just talking about 'How are we gonna get the thing to fix the thing?' And we're able to show sort of their relationship that is seen behind the scenes."

She went on to tease that Marvel fans will see "a version of Nick Fury that they haven't seen before. You know like, what does he do to relax? Does he ever relax? What are his hobbies, you know? Does he have a family? What is his backstory? And they really do a deep dive into him and his life in this series."
"Even though we have Skrull aliens running around, it is a very grounded, on-this-earth drama," she teased. "It is really human — again, even though there are aliens in it. We're dealing with real human issues and dealing with trust. Can I trust you? Are you who you say you are? And do you have my back? In our story, because we don't know exactly who everybody is — if they're a Skrull or they're a human, if they're good or they're bad — it creates a lot of tension. It creates a lot of friction among the characters. And also it's a stressful environment."

Update: Regé-Jean Page Has Not Joined the MCU — Disney Included Him on Secret Invasion Cast List in Error
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 23 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/07/23/rege-jean-page-cast-secret-invasion-marvel-series/ 

A Disney spokesperson phoned TVLine late Saturday evening to state that Page, who currently can be seen in Netflix’s The Gray Man movie, is not part of Secret Invasion, and was accidentally included with the official cast list.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

12 MCU Actors Confirmed for Marvel's 'Crossover Event Series' Secret Invasion
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal    August 8, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-secret-invasion-cast-marvel-actors

Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury)
Ben Mendelsohn (Talos)
Cobie Smulders (Maria Hill)
Martin Freeman (Everett Ross) 
Don Cheadle (James Rhodes)
Emilia Clarke 
Olivia Colman
Kingsley Ben-Adir 
Christopher McDonald 
Killian Scott 
Dermot Mulroney (US President Ritson)
Irina Kara 

• Love 1

Cobie Smulders: Secret Invasion Series Goes Deeper With Maria Hill Than Any Marvel Project Yet
By Matt Webb Mitovich / September 27 2022
https://tvline.com/2022/09/27/cobie-smulders-secret-invasion-marvel-series-preview-maria-hill/ 

Assaying how the small-screen series serves Maria Hill herself, Smulders would not say it necessarily gives us more of the character than we’ve seen before in The Avengers, Endgame or Spider-Man: No Way Home. But “it’s the most depth I’ve been able to show of Maria Hill,” she asserted. “That’s the beauty of these series that Marvel is doing, you’re able to really get backstory of these characters. What are the conversations that happen when they’re just sitting around drinking coffee? It’s not like, ‘We’ve gotta get the bad guys! We’ve gotta get the thing! We’ve gotta save the world again!’ It’s like, ‘Let’s just have a chat, let’s go for a walk.’ We get to see those kinds of moments and be a bit more intimate with the characters.”

As for the larger role that Secret Invasion plays in setting in motion the MCU’s Phase 5 and then Phase 6 (the latter of which closes out in November 2025 with the film Avengers: Secret Wars), Smulders was mum on specifics, but said, “They’re geniuses at Marvel, so they’re going to be setting up something that I can’t talk about or have the ability to understand.”

• Love 1

Black Panther Wakanda Forever star teases Secret Invasion is unlike anything Marvel has done before
BY IONA ROWAN AND JANET A LEIGH     11 NOV 2022
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a41933501/martin-freeman-marvel-secret-invasion/ 

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever star Martin Freeman has teased that Secret Invasion is unlike anything Marvel has done before.
Freeman will also reprise his role as CIA agent Everett K Ross following his third outing as the character in Wakanda Forever, and he's said the series will feel "like a little departure" from past MCU productions.
Speaking exclusively to Digital Spy about the upcoming project, the actor shared: "It feels pretty different to stuff I’ve seen. It does feel like a little departure. Yeah, it does – in ways that I wouldn’t be that able to describe. Again, I’ve not seen it. I’ve not even read all of it.

"The bits I’ve read do feel different, I guess: Because of the nature of television, you can luxuriate in things a little bit more. That storytelling process is just elongated. So you have got more time to get those knotty problems out, which is the beauty of television at the moment."

As for the tone? Freeman revealed that it's "pretty dark", both "figuratively and literally".

"It was a bit murky, actually. A bit murky," he continued. "Quite labyrinthine in terms of storytelling, and the amount of people crossing over with each other."
When asked what it was like taking the character of Ross from Black Panther to Secret Invasion, the actor replied: "I go wherever they tell me to go. You know what I mean? I’m a bit like Ross in that way. I’m just an agent who goes over there or over there.

"I just like playing him. I like playing him in whatever kind of situations they want to put him in because he does bits of action and bits of espionage and bits of thinky-talky things, but also bits of running around.

"He’s generally, we hope, on the side of good, but it’s always quite ambiguous. It’s ambiguous. And I enjoy that because I think life is ambiguous."

Freeman also explained that while Ross has a "very supporting role" and "it's not The Ross Show by any means", the character still has a "nice part" which is "definitely worthwhile".

• Useful 1

Olivia Colman talks 'Empire of Light,' ditching indies for Marvel: 'I feel slightly unfaithful'
Patrick Ryan    Dec 9, 2022
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2022/12/09/olivia-colman-empire-of-light-interview/10842205002/ 

She also plays a special agent in next year's "Secret Invasion," a new Marvel series on Disney+. 

"I can't give you spoilers because I can't remember!" Colman quips. "I feel slightly unfaithful to the smaller films, but I am a Marvel fan. After every Marvel film (was released), I'd go to my agent, like, 'Can I be a superhero?' So eventually I got to do a tiny bit in a Marvel (show) and I was thrilled. From an actor's point of view, to play and do all sorts of things is the dream. And I got to meet Samuel L. Jackson – the other Sam that I love – and Don Cheadle.

"I know that there's a fight for spaces in cinema and I understand all that. But I had a ball doing it." 

• Love 1

How Much Is Too Much Marvel and ‘Star Wars’? Disney Rethinks Franchise Output
BY AARON COUCH, BORYS KIT    FEBRUARY 16, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-star-wars-tv-shows-movies-slowdown-1235326681/ 

... Now, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Loki season two and the Samuel L. Jackson-led Secret Invasion are the only sure bets to debut this year. Even projects that wrapped months ago, such as the Hawkeye spinoff Echo and Wakanda Forever spinoff Ironheart, are unlikely to arrive in 2023 as the studio spreads out its content and tinkers in postproduction. And shows in development, such as Nova, are now on a slower path.

• Like 1
(edited)

Marvel’s Secret Invasion Is Inspired By The Third Man And The Searchers: ‘We Talked A Lot About Classic Espionage Noir’ – Exclusive Image
By Ben Travis    May 5, 2023
https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/marvel-secret-invasion-inspired-by-the-third-man-searchers-espionage-noir-exclusive/ 

“We talked a lot about classic espionage noir, like The Third Man,” director Ali Selim tells Empire in the new Secret Invasion issue, promising a distinctive genre-blend. “As Nick moves through it, he walks out of a noir and into a Western. He becomes the lone gunslinger walking down Main Street looking for bad guys to vanquish. We go from The Third Man to John Wayne in The Searchers, and Sam walks effortlessly from one into the next.”

And, like The Winter Soldier’s explorations of political subterfuge and surveillance, and Civil War’s questions of governmental accountability, Secret Invasion is getting stuck into tangible Earthly issues as well as explosive espionage action – with the Skrulls having been long-promised sanctuary which hasn’t been delivered. “Who is a terrorist and why are they a terrorist?” asks Selim. “Especially here in the States, it’s easy to say we’re the good guys and they’re the terrorists. The interesting thing for me is to ask: how did we as a nation state influence the environment these people come from?” That plays a key part in the backstory of Gravik, Kingsley Ben-Adir’s Skrull rebel. “Gravik is not just a bad guy with a bomb,” Selim says. “His story and how he came to this grievance is clearly explored here. That doesn’t just refer back to movie history and noir; it refers to our times today.” Sounds like that invasion won't remain secret for long.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1