Type keyword(s) to search

Amy, Tammy, and the Family Slaton+

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Ria said:

Jeff Foxworthy could get a whole other “You might be Redneck if” album out of this family’s life. 

I grew up an hour or so west of this mess of a family, and please believe me when I say this: People like Tammy and Amy are sought out to further the narrative that all people from Kentucky are just like them. It's unjust stereotyping at its utmost.  When I moved to California after I graduated from college, everyone was absolutely shocked!! that I was articulate, had perfect teeth and graduated from a decent college. I felt like I had entered a parallel universe. I realized at 22 that this stereotype runs DEEP. Having said that, I LOVE Jeff Foxworthy. And yes, he is so funny because people from the South know at least a few of the rednecks he hilariously talks about. I keep waiting for him to say, "You might be a redneck if you've ever been chased down the road by a rooster while riding your bike." True story! Kick it up a notch Jeff!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I don't know why Dr. Procter or Dr. Smith is still working with either sister, they won't change, and won't help themselves.   

I think the only reason Tammy lost weight is because of the hospitalization, and I bet the rehab place doesn't allow outside visitors, and between that and being so ill, are the reasons Tammy lost so much weight.   I suspect if Tammy does get weight loss surgery, then the second she gets back home, she'll be back to drinking, and stuffing as much food as she can. 

I suspect that Amy will have as many babies in close succession as she can.     I'm not sure how far she'll have to travel to find an OB that will treat her.   They don't have to take patients, and she's super high risk.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
On 2/1/2022 at 1:44 PM, Rebky said:

I grew up an hour or so west of this mess of a family, and please believe me when I say this: People like Tammy and Amy are sought out to further the narrative that all people from Kentucky are just like them. It's unjust stereotyping at its utmost.  When I moved to California after I graduated from college, everyone was absolutely shocked!! that I was articulate, had perfect teeth and graduated from a decent college. I felt like I had entered a parallel universe. I realized at 22 that this stereotype runs DEEP. Having said that, I LOVE Jeff Foxworthy. And yes, he is so funny because people from the South know at least a few of the rednecks he hilariously talks about. I keep waiting for him to say, "You might be a redneck if you've ever been chased down the road by a rooster while riding your bike." True story! Kick it up a notch Jeff!!

Yep, same, except WV. When I mention to Californians where my family lives (I don't know if I'm actually *from* there, since I moved out of state in my late teens, but they still live there), and their eyes glaze over. I think they don't even realize it's a state sometimes.

I agree with you that TLC is pushing this narrative to further stereotypes. I hadn't gone back to WV in many many years and the last time I visited, I was pleasantly surprised at the cute little downtown areas. An alleyway with beautiful holiday trees had three LGBTQ trees, one exclusively decorated with the trans flag. Sure there are places in the state where someone like me may not be safe, but to paint an entire state with such a broad brush is stupid. But TLC loves it. It gives viewers a chance to feel superior to someone, glues eyeballs to screens. 

Californians may shit on KY, but they sure will enjoy some Kentucky bourbon, won't they?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

Yep, same, except WV. When I mention to Californians where my family lives (I don't know if I'm actually *from* there, since I moved out of state in my late teens, but they still live there), and their eyes glaze over. I think they don't even realize it's a state sometimes.

I agree with you that TLC is pushing this narrative to further stereotypes. I hadn't gone back to WV in many many years and the last time I visited, I was pleasantly surprised at the cute little downtown areas. An alleyway with beautiful holiday trees had three LGBTQ trees, one exclusively decorated with the trans flag. Sure there are places in the state where someone like me may not be safe, but to paint an entire state with such a broad brush is stupid. But TLC loves it. It gives viewers a chance to feel superior to someone, glues eyeballs to screens. 

Californians may shit on KY, but they sure will enjoy some Kentucky bourbon, won't they?

I love West Virginia. I've had the opportunity to travel there for work (Ruby Memorial) and I've driven through many a time. It's a beautiful state. When I see your screen name it automatically translates to Monongatuna in my head because it always makes me think of the Monongahela River and Monongahela, PA. Is that what its from? 😺 When I flew I'd land in Pittsburgh and drive Morgantown and of course see the signs.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't know why Dr. Procter or Dr. Smith is still working with either sister, they won't change, and won't help themselves.   

I think the only reason Tammy lost weight is because of the hospitalization, and I bet the rehab place doesn't allow outside visitors, and between that and being so ill, are the reasons Tammy lost so much weight.   I suspect if Tammy does get weight loss surgery, then the second she gets back home, she'll be back to drinking, and stuffing as much food as she can. 

I suspect that Amy will have as many babies in close succession as she can.     I'm not sure how far she'll have to travel to find an OB that will treat her.   They don't have to take patients, and she's super high risk.    

She said somewhere she's getting her tubes tied which can be done with a c section. Of course, she may change her mind. Just google Amy 1000 lb sisters and tubes tied. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I love West Virginia. I've had the opportunity to travel there for work (Ruby Memorial) and I've driven through many a time. It's a beautiful state. When I see your screen name it automatically translates to Monongatuna in my head because it always makes me think of the Monongahela River and Monongahela, PA. Is that what its from? 😺 When I flew I'd land in Pittsburgh and drive Morgantown and of course see the signs.

Off to small talk we go! :)

• Love 3

I was surprised to find out how far they had to drive to Tammy's rehab facility.   However, that reinforces what I've read about rehabs, and assisted living.   They don't take every patient, and if someone abuses staff, the way Tammy is reported to, they don't keep them. 

I'm suspecting that very few rehab facilities will handle patients that are 700+ pounds, and with the multiple diseases Tammy has.      

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

I would bet my life that Misty is NOT a full sister of Tammy and Amy.  Misty is the oldest, and I believe she has a different father than any of the others.  

I think Misty, Chris, and Amanda have Dad A (Combs)  Tammy and Amy have Dad B (Slaton).  Darlene is the mom of all five.  Amy and Amanda are married to brothers so have the same last name (Halterman).

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

I would bet my life that Misty is NOT a full sister of Tammy and Amy.  Misty is the oldest, and I believe she has a different father than any of the others.  

You’re right again! This explains the complicated family tree. Darlene’s children were fathered by THREE different men, Misty by one man (who is deceased and his name isn’t mentioned) later Chris and Amanda by Combs and then Tammy and Amy by Slaton. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, magemaud said:

You’re right again! This explains the complicated family tree. Darlene’s children were fathered by THREE different men, Misty by one man (who is deceased and his name isn’t mentioned) later Chris and Amanda by Combs and then Tammy and Amy by Slaton. 

I saw one article that said Amanda is not blood related to Amy and Tammy at all, that she is the half sister of Chris and Misty (who are already half siblings of Amy and Tammy).  So then Chris, Misty and Amanda would have the same dad but Amanda would have a different mom.  So Amanda would have both a different mom and a different dad than Amy and Tammy.

I think that’s wrong though because now that Amanda is divorcing Amy said that they will no longer be both sisters and sisters-in-law.  So I think Amanda is at least a half-sister for Amy to call her a sister.  But who knows with this bunch maybe they call non-blood relatives siblings.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

32 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Every season they seem to dig up another sibling who was never mentioned before and their actual relationship is vague. 

IKR? That's why I question the frequent statements about how close and supportive the family is and how they're all sad and enjoying things less when Tammy can't be with them. It feels like all this need for togetherness maybe happened when the other siblings saw the money.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I saw one article that said Amanda is not blood related to Amy and Tammy at all, that she is the half sister of Chris and Misty (who are already half siblings of Amy and Tammy).  So then Chris, Misty and Amanda would have the same dad but Amanda would have a different mom.  So Amanda would have both a different mom and a different dad than Amy and Tammy.

I think that’s wrong though because now that Amanda is divorcing Amy said that they will no longer be both sisters and sisters-in-law.  So I think Amanda is at least a half-sister for Amy to call her a sister.  But who knows with this bunch maybe they call non-blood relatives siblings.

I assume Mr Combs (biological father to Chris and Amanda) raised Misty too (I know Misty was born when their mom was 14/15 I know she was pregnant at 14). I can certainly understand if he raised Chris, Amanda, and Misty, Amy/Tammy would consider Amanda their sister and not a Step-sister or ex-step sister because the kids all grew up having a familial bond. If Momma Slaton considered Amanda her daughter, even if she didn't formally adopt her, I would not be shocked that all the kids considered her a sister. 

• Like 3

I wonder why Mother Darlene wasn't with the siblings when they went to visit Tammy in the rehab or at Little Bit's funeral. The only mention of her this season was that they picked up Little Bit at "Grannie's" just before the dog died. 

Edited by magemaud
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

I wonder why Mother Darlene wasn't with the siblings when they went to visit Tammy in the rehab or at Little Bit's funeral. The only mention of her this season was that they picked up Little Bit at "Grannie's" just before the dog died. 

I assume the Grannie was Mike’s mom (Lil Bit belonged to Mike’s family before he lived with Mike and Amy), I also know she watches Gage for them. 

From what little we have seen of Darlene she seems like a peace of work. She wasn’t in season 2, but made appearances in season 1 & 3. They may have mentioned her but it was edited out. Her mobility is limited so she might not have been interested in filming. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I assume the Grannie was Mike’s mom (Lil Bit belonged to Mike’s family before he lived with Mike and Amy), I also know she watches Gage for them. 

Thanks, I didn't realize there were two grandmothers still in the picture. I'm relieved that Darlene isn't the one watching Gage OR Little Bit! 

Didn't Darlene say something last season about having several types of cancer or am I getting her mixed up with another crochety old woman on another TLC program? 

Edited by magemaud