Type keyword(s) to search

S15 E07: The Bubble Bursts

ByTor
Message added by Bort

As always, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it didn't happen yet, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

Training Camp has come down to a dance off. With many dreams on the line, things come to a grinding halt as Kelli gets some bad news.

As always, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it didn't happen yet, please do not discuss.

I was never a huge fan of Brennan's because I did not think she had a HD friendly face for DCC... but she has won me over with her persistence and she looks beautiful probably the best I have ever seen her! She does not look run down and just coming back from COVID recovery!?!  Learn whatever dance it was and don't get TPTB get in your head, Brennan!  

• Love 15

I know Hannah is speaking out about her struggles with anxiety.... which is important and I appreciate it.  But I just could not help but notice she is a really beautiful woman.  Last year I always thought her makeup was too harsh and made her face look severe and she seemed to find a balance that accentuates her beautiful eyes.  I know that is such a surface thing to talk about but can't help it!

5 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

That was Kat doing better with media training? Lol I know that was only one question, and at least they were entertained. But, anyway.

I know, it reminds me of when VK fell out of a turn and they just laughed.  I thought that was a terrible media response.... clearly they just like her.

• Love 11

I think this dance off is demeaning to vets.  I don't know... can't see Hannah at all, very little of Brennan.  normally when they ignore you you are safe so hopefully this is some weird cooked up challenge to freak us all out to continue watching.  Like when they told a model stick thin dancer she needed to take some fit meals and was on weight warning when in reality the company probably preselected her for their print ads. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I was never a huge fan of Brennan's because I did not think she had a HD friendly face for DCC... but she has won me over with her persistence and she looks beautiful probably the best I have ever seen her! She does not look run down and just coming back from COVID recovery!?!  Learn whatever dance it was and don't get TPTB get in your head, Brennan!  

The longer hair did wonders for her, I think. She looks great!

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I think this dance off is demeaning to vets.  I don't know... can't see Hannah at all, very little of Brennan.  normally when they ignore you you are safe so hopefully this is some weird cooked up challenge to freak us all out to continue watching.  Like when they told a model stick thin dancer she needed to take some fit meals and was on weight warning when in reality the company probably preselected her for their print ads. 

From what little I could see of them they both looked powerful and great. Hannah looked strong in every background before the dance off too. Brennan to me is super consistent and not a dance risk. I'm torn on Lily but I honestly think the reason they are seeing "the same things pre-DCC" is because the EXACT same nerves are there. She's shook - again. Let's remember these vets have only been in there a few days.

1 minute ago, realityjunkie771 said:

AGREE!

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Tuxcat said:

I'm torn on Lily but I honestly think the reason they are seeing "the same things pre-DCC" is because the EXACT same nerves are there. She's shook - again. Let's remember these vets have only been in there a few days.

PPl don't hate me but Lily is a blender I would not hate that if she had to go...

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, realityjunkie771 said:

Agreed! I think this is the best Brennan has looked.

Personally, I thought all of the vets looked good in the dance off. I wish we saw more of Brennan and Hannah during it. I thought it was interesting they used Caroline for comparison and not their beloved Maddie. 

Kelli and Judy have girls not social distancing and not wearing masks and they’re surprised someone tested positive? 🤔

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Not Rachel saying that Brett Kavanaugh was "accused". She keeps losing points from me and I want to still like her like I do now. Also, I'm with Kelli on being concerned whether or not if this year's particular training camp was a right fit for Brennan.

That episode seemed like filler to me. Or re-edited afterwards to make them look better?

Wish they had explained that Caroline was in the dance off as their gold standard, it was edited to look like she just wandered in and joined.

Kat really has a low bar. “Didn’t suck like last year’s media day.” 🤣

Brennan’s media day outfit was amazing. Lisa looked like a waitress. There were a lot of high slits. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, dbell1 said:

That episode seemed like filler to me. Or re-edited afterwards to make them look better?

I literally came over to say the same thing...it seemed really to make K & J look better.... 

Who else was caught off guard by Judy asking permission to speak?  Does she ever speak up? Like your shooting for hours sitting on a stool and never say to those filming the show my tail /back hurts from this uncomfortable seat... and tonight rather than just speak up in the room, you asked Kelli for permission?  IMHO, It really shows Kelly’s lack of regard for Judy to not turn around and say “Judy do you have anything else for the group”?  

Edited by TN DCC fan
Clarification
  • Love 12
34 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

Yep, to me, too. It was choppy, almost like they shot a pick-up scene afterwards. 

• Love 6

DAE just eyeroll over Claire sobbing about how great the Make A Wish foundation is? It's a great program, but why were they so enamored with her literally breaking down and sobbing over how her goal "as a woman" is to help others?

It reminded me of the girl in an early season who said she'd call "Miss United States" if she had an hour left to live.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5

Brennan is just a great dresser.

Rachel W of course has to pop in with Brett Kavanaugh because you just know she was like "he wasn't guilty!" 

I feel like Claire just answered how she thought they would want her to answer that question and clearly it worked

Darian nailed the interviews

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, madmax84 said:

Brennan is just a great dresser.

Rachel W of course has to pop in with Brett Kavanaugh because you just know she was like "he wasn't guilty!" 

I feel like Claire just answered how she thought they would want her to answer that question and clearly it worked

Darian nailed the interviews

Rachel is open about her conservatism, but it looked more like she was trying to save Claire. I know they're young but some of the girls' knowledge of current events is frightening.

OTOH, it's unlikely they're going to be appearing at the opening of a spray tan salon or visiting sick kids and a random person will ask them who President Biden had considered putting on the ticket.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Route66 said:

Rachel is open about her conservatism, but it looked more like she was trying to save Claire. I know they're young but some of the girls' knowledge of current events is frightening.

OTOH, it's unlikely they're going to be appearing at the opening of a spray tan salon or visiting sick kids and a random person will ask them who President Biden had considered putting on the ticket.

This. I don't think people are really going to ask the DCC about their political opinions or even just political questions in general.

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, LilBlueDCCStar said:

Let alone how the internet works

I thought that was the dumbest question.  

44 minutes ago, Route66 said:

That's the first time I can remember hearing her talk, but she did a great job covering for the rookie.  That's the kind of thing you would do in real life if you hear your co-worker giving the wrong information out to a customer.

• Love 16

RE: "how the internet works"...

Not sure if I agree with even asking the question... Maybe if it was worded "How was the audition process able to be conducted and evaluated due to COVID-19..."... something like that..

I think the answer would depend on your professional/education experience(s) and role / expectation on using  technology to share, obtain and transact information.

I didn't expect Kat to give an answer that a trained IT guru would say, but just babbling, and trying to be a comedienne - no.

Here's the 1st answer ( source )  when I did a google search. Had Kat said something in the area of 2nd paragraph - that would have be fine.

image.png.361b4ddfb60a5204771793547c59cc8a.png

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I agree with the posters that think this episode was padded out considerably.  It wasn't necessary to show everyone taking cover in a storm unless the storm became much worse, which it didn't.  The footage didn't need to make the show about someone's temperature coming in a little high.  I know it's all about money and this is a profitable show for CMT, but good grief.  There wasn't enough decent footage to put out a 30 second PSA much less an hour show.

Claire getting all choked up was nerves, pure and simple, but it was a classic eyeroll moment nonetheless.  Judy was just being sincere and acknowledging how hard the whole pandemic has been for everyone, and probably just forgot everything they do (including that candid moment), has a good chance of getting on the show. 

Last week I did think Brenna was a little off, but once she was spoken to by K&J, I thought she did great.  Didn't see anything out of place when she danced...likewise Hannah.  Lily danced fine, IMO, but still can't control her deep-in-concentration facial reactions.  Crazy enough, she appeared more relaxed during game highlights I caught last year on You Tube in which she performed for thousands of people than she does in front of K&J. 

Did anyone think K&J were not already aware that Brenna had contracted Covid?  They sure pretended like they didn't know when they called her in for a meeting.  Could the person who's temperature spiked be Brenna?  

• Love 5

I can't get over Kelli and Judy being surprised that someone tested positive, and they referenced how they did the daily the temperature checks. Does the word "asymptomatic" mean nothing to them? 🙄 Of course someone could have COVID and not have a fever. I agree with what some other people said, this episode felt heavily edited. 

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, JapMo said:

I agree with the posters that think this episode was padded out considerably.  It wasn't necessary to show everyone taking cover in a storm unless the storm became much worse, which it didn't.  The footage didn't need to make the show about someone's temperature coming in a little high.  I know it's all about money and this is a profitable show for CMT, but good grief.  There wasn't enough decent footage to put out a 30 second PSA much less an hour show.

Claire getting all choked up was nerves, pure and simple, but it was a classic eyeroll moment nonetheless.  Judy was just being sincere and acknowledging how hard the whole pandemic has been for everyone, and probably just forgot everything they do (including that candid moment), has a good chance of getting on the show. 

Last week I did think Brenna was a little off, but once she was spoken to by K&J, I thought she did great.  Didn't see anything out of place when she danced...likewise Hannah.  Lily danced fine, IMO, but still can't control her deep-in-concentration facial reactions.  Crazy enough, she appeared more relaxed during game highlights I caught last year on You Tube in which she performed for thousands of people than she does in front of K&J. 

Did anyone think K&J were not already aware that Brenna had contracted Covid?  They sure pretended like they didn't know when they called her in for a meeting.  Could the person who's temperature spiked be Brenna?  

Agree. And with Lily, she is more relaxed for game days because its training camp that has been so awful for her. First year, cut on the last day without prior warning. Second year, brought into the office on the last day for dramatic effect. This year....rinse repeat. Poor girl. They wonder why they are just now seeing a "pre-rookie" Lily? Well K and J you created the exact same conditions for her. You cut Meredith and put Lily on the line and so she's freaked! I'd look a little anxious too! 

For goodness sakes- if its this close to have to have a dance off (which I don't believe) - the nod should always go to the proven and stable vets who are wholly invested in this team. Especially when this is a one week audition in the midst of a global pandemic! The rookies on the line, who still need teaching (according to Judy) can come back next year. It's not like this was a 10 week training camp. 

ETA - Sydney keeps messing up in the background. Savannah also was off timing in the background. And why does Claire always look like she's chewing gum in her slo- mo whoosh moments?

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 11

Lily isn’t good enough to be on this team. She just isn’t. I know we all like her personally, but she and Meredith never should’ve made this team last year.  I love Brennan, but she’s definitely not full strength. Lily is getting out danced by rookies. 

I’d cut Lily, Brennan, Ashlinn and Kristin. 

I think Darian is one of the most beautiful girls they’ve ever had. And so poised and well spoken. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Tuxcat said:

For goodness sakes- if its this close to have to have a dance off (which I don't believe) - the nod should always go to the proven and stable vets who are wholly invested in this team. Especially when this is a one week audition in the midst of a global pandemic! The rookies on the line, who still need teaching (according to Judy) can come back next year. It's not like this was a 10 week training camp. 

I so agree.  I know it was all about money, but after watching this season with most of the girls' faces covered up, I just think it would have been best to make an announcement way back in March that they weren't going to offer tryouts for 2020 but instead were just keeping all the veterans for another year without auditioning.  As it turns out, they're not even on the field hardly at all.  Of course, hindsight is 20-20, but when were the auditions?  In a normal year, don't they happen in August?  By then, it was already very dicey if there would be any football.

• Love 9

I like Alora Rose, and think she really listens to criticism and tries 1000% to make the team.  That being said, she blends into the woodwork.  She's cute, but she just doesn't have the spark of the other girls.  So I have to question Kelli's comment that her eyes were drawn to her over several others, including veterans.  Seriously?

She'd need a major makeover to make the team, IMO.  Either go big as a blonde or a redhead.  And that's just looks.  I don't think she should make the team over a veteran.  Not this year. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sATL said:

RE: "how the internet works"...

Not sure if I agree with even asking the question... Maybe if it was worded "How was the audition process able to be conducted and evaluated due to COVID-19..."... something like that..

I think the answer would depend on your professional/education experience(s) and role / expectation on using  technology to share, obtain and transact information.

I didn't expect Kat to give an answer that a trained IT guru would say, but just babbling, and trying to be a comedienne - no.

In Kat's defense, and much as her mugging drives me nuts sometimes, it's such a bizarre, vague and awkwardly phrased question, who, apart from a programmer or data scientist could provide a cogent answer off-the-cuff?  I'd babble too. 

And ... for shits and giggles, can we imagine VK's responses to this or any questions re: politics or 2020 current events? Hilarity. Would. Ensue.

Edited by StillHere
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, JapMo said:

I so agree.  I know it was all about money, but after watching this season with most of the girls' faces covered up, I just think it would have been best to make an announcement way back in March that they weren't going to offer tryouts for 2020 but instead were just keeping all the veterans for another year without auditioning.  As it turns out, they're not even on the field hardly at all.  Of course, hindsight is 20-20, but when were the auditions?  In a normal year, don't they happen in August?  By then, it was already very dicey if there would be any football.

ITA. Actually that would have been a nice new twist on the show. Show the vets (29+) going through the summer learning any new routines and polishing / improving from last season, as they awaited ruling from the NFL and state's COVID regulations.

I know K&J harp on "36" but there surely can be less. Any multiple of 4 works right?

Also if they announced no tryouts for 2020, there could have been a vet or two that would have stayed for another season. When - which month - do they turn in their retirement papers ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, StillHere said:

In Kat's defense, and much as her mugging drives my nuts sometimes, it such bizarre, vague and awkwardly phrased question, who, apart from a programmer or data scientist could provide a cogent answer off-the-cuff?  I'd babble too. 

And ... for shits and giggles, can we imagine VK's responses to this or any questions re: politics or 2020 current events? Hilarity. Would. Ensue.

"there are no words"...

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Mardo2044 said:

Im confused was it really a 1 week training camp?  I guess I missed that.

I thought at the beginning of the show last night Kelli said "day 13 of TC", because I was doing the arithmetic that almost 2 weeks had gone by, and isn't normal TC 10 weeks?  But I think it has only been a few days for the veterans.

6 minutes ago, sATL said:

Show the vets (29+) going through the summer learning any new routines and polishing / improving from last season, as they awaited ruling from the NFL and state's COVID regulations.

That would have been a great, because people were really hungry for new programming.  They could have been filming girls individually starting in May and aired it every week during the summer.  They could have done a Where Are They Now show and interviewed Bret, who always displayed grace and class when speaking about the DCC, and then on the other spectrum, talk to Malena, LOL.  I'm sure she would have a few things to say about Miss Kelli and the show.

• Love 9

I agree spending 3 minutes on a thunderstorm was a waste.  

At least Judy finally found a box of Kleenex on the floor or somewhere not on the table.  Yes I know I am hung up on tissues for the girls with tears.  I guess it wouldn't make as good drama with Kleenex handy.  Even a roll of paper towels would have worked.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

At least Judy finally found a box of Kleenex on the floor or somewhere not on the table.  Yes I know I am hung up on tissues for the girls with tears.  I guess it wouldn't make as good drama with Kleenex handy.  Even a roll of paper towels would have worked.

They should go to Costco for tissue supplies.  They know these girls are going to cry.  It should be mandatory that tissues be stocked in all areas where K&J observe/talk to the girls.  

Oh how I long for girls like Shannan who, instead of begging in between hysterical sobs for just one more nanosecond to prove themselves, ask Kelli....."are we done?"  LLLLLLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, JapMo said:

Of course, hindsight is 20-20, but when were the auditions?  In a normal year, don't they happen in August?

They always happen in May.

• Love 2

So, we have Armani in a one shoulder dress and Darian with a dress slit up to her hoo-ha (I was afraid to look when she walked!!), and Brenda says NOTHING????  Blonde Kat's slits were much less offensive.  And, yes, I know that this is media training, not interviews, but cocktail attire is still a no-no.  

What if they quit playing games with us?  What if they just said we cut blonde Kat because we didn't like her face?  Or gave the real reason behind any of the cuts instead of "framing" these ladies?

• Love 17
11 minutes ago, WoofDCC said:

I appreciate seeing more of the vets this year. I think the show is listening to fans. We don't just want to hear from the rookies. We're invested in the vets too.

I'm just not seeing that.  I wish I did.  To me, the rookies are constantly in our face.  They are in the front of every line, which in the past wasn't true.  Maybe it's because It was all rookies for the first 2 episodes....that wasn't like that in the past.  And then when the vets came, the only time we hear from them is when they're being called on the carpet.  

Maybe it was always that way and I just didn't realize it.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mardo2044 said:

Im confused was it really a 1 week training camp?  I guess I missed that.

Two weeks total but vets only had 1. 

15 minutes ago, JapMo said:

I'm just not seeing that.  I wish I did.  To me, the rookies are constantly in our face.  They are in the front of every line, which in the past wasn't true.  Maybe it's because It was all rookies for the first 2 episodes....that wasn't like that in the past.  And then when the vets came, the only time we hear from them is when they're being called on the carpet.  

Agree. It's a "vets aren't safe and they suck" theme cocktail with a "rookies are killing it" chaser. Hand crafted for our viewing entertainment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Anyone else think that the reason the calibre of rookies is better this year is because with Broadway closed, concerts cancelled... frankly DCC is the only paid performing arts show in town.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
7 minutes ago, WoofDCC said:

Anyone else think that the reason the calibre of rookies is better this year is because with Broadway closed, concerts cancelled... frankly DCC is the only paid performing arts show in town.

Yup! It’s a way to stay in dancing shape and get a paycheck at the same time. And Dallas is way lower cost of living than NYC or LA while waiting it out. Plus it does boost their social media profile, and plenty have a side hustle that benefits from that. Some even legit ones vs a shady MLM (looking at you, Alora-Rose!) 

ETA: Well, would boost more if they could post more DCC related things. Tho I imagine all saw a boost from the start or the show and/or peeps like us who have been following since auditions this summer.  

Edited by kalibean
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

8 minutes ago, kalibean said:

Yup! It’s a way to stay in dancing shape and get a paycheck at the same time. And Dallas is way lower cost of living than NYC or LA while waiting it out. Plus it does boost their social media profile, and plenty have a side hustle that benefits from that. Some even legit ones vs a shady MLM (looking at you, Alora-Rose!) 

ETA: Well, would boost more if they could post more DCC related things. Tho I imagine all saw a boost from the start or the show and/or peeps like us who have been following since auditions this summer.  

MLM ? multi-level-marketing ?  

10 minutes ago, kalibean said:
17 minutes ago, WoofDCC said:

Wow, I didn't even think of that.  Every year Kelli says her standard blow-off line that the rookie candidates are so good and vets are in real trouble, but this year it's really true.  From the beginning, when all 20+ candidates came in and knew many routines already, I was like...whoa...what's going on here?  I question how many girls would really pick up and move to Dallas for the opportunity to make...what....$100 a game?  I don't think they get paid during TC, do they?  Even so, it's a small amount.  But the amount of airtime these rookies are getting, IMO....that exposure might be worth it.  Cause I'm not hearing the "I've dreamed of this all my life" from Sydney, Claire, or a few of the others.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, JapMo said:

Wow, I didn't even think of that.  Every year Kelli says her standard blow-off line that the rookie candidates are so good and vets are in real trouble, but this year it's really true.  From the beginning, when all 20+ candidates came in and knew many routines already, I was like...whoa...what's going on here?  I question how many girls would really pick up and move to Dallas for the opportunity to make...what....$100 a game?  I don't think they get paid during TC, do they?  Even so, it's a small amount.  But the amount of airtime these rookies are getting, IMO....that exposure might be worth it.  Cause I'm not hearing the "I've dreamed of this all my life" from Sydney, Claire, or a few of the others.

@ShellyB has posted pay info in the DCC questions thread, but IIRC it’s $500 per game flat fee and $12 an hour for rehearsals, CMT camera time, working camps, etc. There’s another tiered flat fee schedule for appearances, but I imagine that hasn’t been a good source of income for anyone this year. 

I’m curious how time cards worked for the pre-camp learnings, tho! Every part time employee gets reminded that even reading emails is work activity and hourly employees just submit their time. Or was it a “here’s some info, you’re free to wait until paid at training camp or you can practice on your own for free until Then.”

As Erica W’s lawsuit pointed out, lots of room for gray area for labor law issues as a DCC. It would make more sense IMO to give a flat rate for the active football season and then pay extras like Camps or Appearances as bonuses. Because no one cares how many hours a salaried employee has to put in! At least not in the vast majority of states. 

Edited by kalibean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, JapMo said:

Always been that way.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, kalibean said:

@ShellyB has posted pay info in the DCC questions thread, but IIRC it’s $500 per game flat fee and $12 an hour for rehearsals, CMT camera time, working camps, etc. There’s another tiered flat fee schedule for appearances, but I imagine that hasn’t been a good source of income for anyone this year. 

I’m curious how time cards worked for the pre-camp learnings, tho! Every part time employee gets reminded that even reading emails is work activity and hourly employees just submit their time. Or was it a “here’s some info, you’re free to wait until paid at training camp or you can practice on your own for free until Then.”

As Erica W’s lawsuit pointed out, lots of room for gray area for labor law issues as a DCC. It would make more sense IMO to give a flat rate for the active football season and then pay extras like Camps or Appearances as bonuses. Because no one cares how many hours a salaried employee has to put in! At least not in the vast majority of states. 

I stand corrected.  I thought the $100 a game was the result of the lawsuit and before that they were making a measly $25.  

The Fair Labor Standards Act is a slippery slope, and most companies don't even know they are violating it.  I was a blackjack dealer for a few years, and worked the day shift.  The casino wanted the players to be able to come in and immediately be able to play as soon as the doors opened for the day (this was not Vegas so at the time they weren't a 24 hour operation).  However, it takes a good 15 minutes to open a table, as you open 6 decks of cards under the scrutiny of a floor person and check them out for any imperfections (yeah, new decks of cards can be tampered with), integrate the 6 decks altogether and make sure you've completely mixed them, and then count the chips out that's in the rack.  Because this couldn't happen immediately at 8:00 AM, the casino ordered all dealers to be at their assigned table 15 minutes early.  Well, someone made a complaint to the FLSA that the company was getting 15 minutes of free labor because they made our starting time 7:45 but only started paying us beginning after 8:00 AM.  The company had to pay us all back pay and boy, were they pissed. 

• Love 13