Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Vacation

• Start Topic

Why is Kat shouting everytime she opens her mouth? There is hardly any nuance. And she has alsolutely no chemistry with Max.

I was a bit thrown in the end when Kat woke up next to her friend - I thought for a second that the whole staycation thing was a dream.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2

Well...that was disappointing. I had hope after last week's episode, which was charming. But this one was worse. I saw the attempts at being funny, but not one joke landed. They definitely relied too heavily on the underwear jokes which were not funny for the first time, they didn't need to use them like 4 more times in the episode. I did like that Kat was smart with the guy who came up to her at the hotel and tricked him to find out what "her" magazine was about. But other than that...please get better.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 2

It wasn't great, but something makes me want to continue watching.  Maybe I'm just being contrary.  Maybe I think they could get back to whatever made episode 2 fun.

I might be the only person that kind of likes the waving at the end.

At the end, when they got locked on the roof, I thought, do not go there.  Happy they just glossed over it.  Also, getting caught going home... Sitcom staples.  Although, not getting caught by her mother, but then, by her co-workers was a little different and I liked that they went back to the party with Kat.

Why would she make that her password on a shared device?

So, this episode was mostly a miss (but I liked the whiskey conference), but I'm not out yet.

• Love 10

This was disappointing after the improved second episode. I will probably keep watching a bit longer because I don't have a lot of traditional sitcoms on my docket right now and because the cats are really cute, but I hope it improves after this one because this was painfully lame. 

Why is everyone acting like Puerto Rico is so scary? It isn't leaving leaving the United States. Was that the joke, because Kat's mom is super paranoid, or does the show actually think its the kind of place where everyone gets their organs stolen? Also, I am pretty sure men are statistically more likely to get murdered than women, so maybe Kat's mom should have been praying for a girl not to be as worried about? 

• Love 2

Well, guess i am in the minority because i am enjoying the show, maybe i just am glad to see something besides current events. Not caring one way or the other about the waving at the end, but i wouldn't miss it.

• Love 9

I'm 100% neutral on this show. I don't hate it, I don't like it, it's almost like background noise to me. I'll keep watching because I have a little bit of OCD when it comes to TV shows (I'm compelled to finish them unlessl it becomes supremely unbearable to watch) but if it gets cancelled, I'll forget about it two minutes after I watch the last show. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 5

I'd started thinking that in a pandemic, I will watch absolutely anything and am incapable of being remotely critical. Apparently not. I'm out. It just makes me cringe too much. For anyone still in and enjoying it, I'm glad. That's me these days with some shows many others have found unwatchable. It doesn't help that we had to put my snugglebug of a cat down last week. It may not be a coincidence that I bailed after the most cat-focused episode yet.   

Ugh.  That was one cringe after another.  Any chemistry between Kat and Max is all in Kat's mind.  Who wrote the beginning dialogue, a 12-year-old?  (Plays on the abbreviations like ER and PR.)  Mayim isn't a convincing drunk and the delivery of her lines is shouty.  Wasting a free trip because of her paranoid coat hanger of a mother was pathetic.  It's time to drop Tara as a friend too.  Unlikable and a PITA.  Why would Kat want to get in bed with her?  Why am I still watching this mess?

All I recall is one closeup of a real cat.

• Love 5

I thought it was okay.  Granted, I was hard at work on my laptop at the time, and only partially watching, but I was able to follow the storyline just fine.  The show, so far, is completely disposable, but it passed the time well and, during the current events in the world today, "disposable but okay" TV is just fine with me.

• Love 2

This was a similar episode on Miranda so I knew what was going to happen. Miranda is so good at coming out of character for a few seconds to interact with the audience. Mayim hasn't learned how to do that, it is a continuation of what she was saying but she turns her head. not working. That is the best part of Miranda, we are part of the conversation.I really laugh at Miranda but don't for this show. I am so trying. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, NoThyme said:

This was a similar episode on Miranda so I knew what was going to happen. Miranda is so good at coming out of character for a few seconds to interact with the audience. Mayim hasn't learned how to do that, it is a continuation of what she was saying but she turns her head. not working. That is the best part of Miranda, we are part of the conversation.I really laugh at Miranda but don't for this show. I am so trying. 

Yes, I remembered the similar episode in the original Miranda series.  And that is one of the problems here, that they are doing a clumsy job of copying an original.   Why they had to copy it so closely is beyond me.  I'm amazed at how much they've ripped off the original.  Couldn't they be creative enough to go in their own direction with it?  I guess not.   Better to do your own thing in the spirit of the original and shine at it than try to copy it too close to the letter and fail.

You're absolutely right about Mayim not coming enough out of character when she talks to the audience.  Also, Miranda had a way of making you feel like you were the only person really in the room with her while everyone else in the scene was part of a film or something.  You really felt her break through that 4th wall.

I'm still hanging in there for now.  I like the cast too much so I'll stick with it.  I stuck with Leslie Jordan's last series to the end of its one and only season, and that was worse than this.

Edited by Yeah No
had to change "episode" to "series".
  • Love 4

The one good thing is that it did feel less like they were writing for Miranda. The problem is that they haven’t figured out how to write for Kat. She and everyone else are muddled. One thing the original did so well was create well-defined characters. 

They need to develop the “I’m fascinated by that skill set” Kat. The one who loves to sing and play piano. The one who imagines people. Let those be her quirks rather than forcing Miranda’s quirks on her. 

Also, why are there so many supporting characters. The basically of three people in the role Stevie played in the original. 

3 hours ago, NoThyme said:

This was one of my favorite Miranda episodes.  It makes me laugh so much.  It was so well constructed.  The party, the way that she was discovered...etc. This version...eh?  I actually did laugh that they made her a whiskey expert and the things she came up with as she drank.  

But I do think you nailed the issues with the asides to the camera.  It's not intimate enough.  I'm not sure if it would help, necessarily but it'd be something to try. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Johann said:

I might be the only person that kind of likes the waving at the end.

Nope.  That's pretty much the only reason I'm watching.  I think that part's fun, and the show overall is harmless.  Mindless Entertainment isn't without value.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:51 AM, Seelouis said:

Swoosie Kurtz looks like death.  

This.  I was so surprised when I watched the first ep that I went down a rabbit hole trying to find out whether it was illness, plastic surgery, anorexia, or some combination of the three.  Didn't find anything definitive, but I think something's happened.

Edited to add: Anyone else think Cheyenne Jackson is looking very Joel McHale-ish?  No? Just me? Alllllriighty, then...

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, NoThyme said:

Yup. I'll stay for a couple more episodes because I really liked Miranda and I can see how they're trying, it's just not clicking  (yet....hopefully). 

And I know everyone hates the waving but that's also straight from Miranda

• Love 2
23 hours ago, cinsays said:

Well, guess i am in the minority because i am enjoying the show, maybe i just am glad to see something besides current events

Add me to the minority because I'm enjoying it too.  I think the '4th wall' concept gives it a little extra kitch.  While I do agree that MB needs to dial it back a smidge, I think she's doing just fine.  Remember - we were so used to seeing her as the robotic-speaking (in the beginning) and frumpy dressed Amy for so many years so to see her doing a bit of a 180 here are going to cause fans (esp TBT ones) to warm slowly.

And aside from Swoosie Kurtz obvious plastic surgery making her look a bit jarring (kind of like Catherine Bell on The Good Witch), I'm going to refrain from commenting on her body.  Let's face it - if Kat's mom was portrayed by a 300 lb actress, she'd probably be lauded as a fierce, 'plus sized' woman rather than viewers worrying about her health due to her obesity.  Likewise, I'm not going to skinny-shame SK.  If she's otherwise healthy, I don't care if she's a size (-0)

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Nothing new or innovative about this episode.  In other series, characters have pretended to be someone they were not, and there have also been characters who couldn't get past the locked door to get off of the roof.

For me, it is like vanilla ice cream.  It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, it was just, just, okay.  It served its purpose.  A distraction, a nice distraction, but that is about it.  It had nothing to do with current events (the virus) which is a major plus.  At this point, that is about all I can hope for.  I have stopped watching all shows where they have the virus written into their story lines.   I don't need to be inundated with that shit.

I have no problem with how the episodes end with the cast getting together. 

This episode was a direct copy of the staycation storyline in Miranda, the Britcom series which by now you must know this show is based on.  In Miranda, our protagonist stayed at a local hotel rather than go where she was supposed to travel to, and it wasn't Puerto Rico.  Hilarity ensued; this trip not so much.

Is that generic vanilla, Vanilla Bean or French Vanilla?  😀

I don't mind either; it's very Britcom which I ❤️ anyway.  (Actors names would be better though.)

Nice to see you over here @icemiser69!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Edited to add: Anyone else think Cheyenne Jackson is looking very Joel McHale-ish?  No? Just me? Alllllriighty, then...

Joel McHale, who is showing up on allll of the game shows this season but none of the scripted stuff. (Incidentally, Cheyenne shows up on the Saved By The Bell reboot.)

As for the episode itself, it’s a plot line I’ve seen before a thousand before (lie your way into an event and hijinx ensues.) The execution of this one wasn’t great.  

I would be giving up on this show, but I do chuckle once in a while and it’s still way better than Mr Mayor (and this is from someone who adores Tina Fey.) 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

At this point, that is about all I can hope for.  I have stopped watching all shows where they have the virus written into their story lines.   I don't need to be inundated with that shit.

I completely agree.  If a show starts preaching social distancing, new normals or tries to drive a social or political narrative, I switch off.  Your job is to entertain, not to preach to me when I need to purge my mind of all the madness in the world

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have no problem with how the episodes end with the cast getting together. 

I love it.  I think it's a nice way to connect with the viewers, especially if they have clever ways of doing so (like they did at the end of this one in the hotel room with people under the bed and in the closet

26 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

As for the episode itself, it’s a plot line I’ve seen before a thousand before

Well, it was a first for me so I got a kick out of it.  It was also a hoot when the real 'Renee-bourbon-tasting-blogger' showed up !

• Love 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Is this the first time we knew the show is set in Louisville? I never would have guessed that's where they are, and I wonder why they chose that particular location.

It’s mentioned in the first episode when they talk about the wedding being at The Brown Hotel. Kat also mentions going to U of L and the scene with track announcer was supposed to be at Churchill Downs. The showrunner is from Louisville. 

Edited by Guest
11 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Is that generic vanilla, Vanilla Bean or French Vanilla?

Does anyone here remember Frusen Glädjé ice cream from the 1980s? Despite the name it was made in the USA. They had a French Vanilla flavor so good that eating it was like having an out-of-body experience.

As for Kat? Really disappointing so far. I would have thought Mayim and Jim would have a much better handle on what's funny.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4

I'm in the mood for light fluffy shows right now, and I like the cast, so I'll stick with this one for a while. I thought this episode was fun, if not hilarious, and I enjoyed Kat's comments at the bourbon tasting. The one scene that stood out to me in bad way was Kat's mom giving a heartfelt speech to herself about how much she loved Kat and couldn't imagine life without her. It was oddly serious, and didn't seem to fit with the tone of the rest of the episode.

• Love 5

I think that Mayim may be more of an ensemble actor rather than a leading actor.  Even in Blossom it seems like the break-out characters were the other ones (her friend and her brother).  Even though I loved her in Big Bang, it was as part of an ensemble. She was in a Hallmark Christmas Movie that I really enjoyed (forget the title) and I do watch it when I come across her, but, again, it was more of an ensemble than lead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/15/2021 at 8:31 PM, Gregg247 said:

but it passed the time well and, during the current events in the world today, "disposable but okay" TV is just fine with me.

That’s where I am at with it, too.  And I’m watching Miranda simultaneously.  Which, I have seen Miranda many years ago and thought it was horrible, but this time around I am enjoying it.  I wonder if Call me Kat is going to do short seasons like Miranda was?  They are only 6 episodes, which is standard for British TV.

I also don’t think they were implying that Puerto Rico was some horrible dangerous place, I think the mom was more about her single daughter traveling anywhere alone.  I have to admit, that didn’t offend me at all as I didn’t take it as a slam on PR.  I think the mom would have felt the same if she was going out in the city alone, even. 

• Useful 2
35 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I also don’t think they were implying that Puerto Rico was some horrible dangerous place, I think the mom was more about her single daughter traveling anywhere alone.  I have to admit, that didn’t offend me at all as I didn’t take it as a slam on PR.  I think the mom would have felt the same if she was going out in the city alone, even. 

I didn’t think it was a slam on Puerto Rico but I did think it has racist implications for Kat’s mom. I was more disappointed that they had Kat buying into that instead of challenging it during the goodbye scene. If it wasn’t intended to be racist they should have picked a different part of the US. If it was intended to be racist they should have been more clear about it. 

13 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I'm in the mood for light fluffy shows right now, and I like the cast, so I'll stick with this one for a while. I thought this episode was fun, if not hilarious, and I enjoyed Kat's comments at the bourbon tasting. The one scene that stood out to me in bad way was Kat's mom giving a heartfelt speech to herself about how much she loved Kat and couldn't imagine life without her. It was oddly serious, and didn't seem to fit with the tone of the rest of the episode.

The Kat's mom character is quickly becoming Debbie Downer.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Kat didn't text her mom and friends and say "I'm here, I made it" why avoid them even if you're not really where they think you are?

Like I said in the last episode, I think Mayim is trying too hard to be funny it's not coming off natural. For me anyways.

I didn't think this was a good episode.

I don't mind them waving at the end but like others have said I wish they would put the names of the actors under them when they wave.

Also, in the last episode thread I mentioned how surprised I was to see how close the actors get to one another with Covid.

• Love 2

I was seriously worried by Kat actually drinking all that whiskey.  That had to be 12 to 18 ounces of alcohol. She should be more wasted or even on her way to hospital after downing that much that fast.

The critiques were great though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, femmefan1946 said:

I was seriously worried by Kat actually drinking all that whiskey.  That had to be 12 to 18 ounces of alcohol. She should be more wasted or even on her way to hospital after downing that much that fast.

I was thinking the same thing. I hate it when shows do that, one minute a person is drunk the next minute they're pretty much sober.

I wanted to hear more of the critiques, now that could've been a funny bit.

• Love 2
On 1/17/2021 at 5:11 AM, Cherpumple said:

I can't say that I really like the show, but, since I keep forgetting it's on, I do seek it out on demand, so there's that, and while I didn't think this was a particularly good episode, although there were a few elements that were OK. 

Swoozie Kurtz has gone too far with plastic surgery, but I did think her face looked like it has "settled" somewhat from the first two episodes. However, there's no way I believe that petite woman ever gave birth to big-boned Kat. I didn't like the mom's speech at all; all I could think was that no wonder Kat is a neurotic mess with social anxiety if her mother has been afraid for her since the day she was born. Have they mentioned Kat's father at all? It's too early in the series for that kind of heartfelt emotion. Now if Kat complains about her, we'll think Kat's the one with the issues.

I really wish they had made Cheyenne Jackson's character gay. He and Kat give off much better gay man/straight woman vibe than potential romantic partners/unrequited love on Kat's part, but I guess with Leslie Jordan camping it up, there can be only one (gay man on any sitcom).

I do not like the sassy "ethnic" employee. It's a tired trope that's been done to death. Why couldn't she be an earnest employee, wanting to learn everything about running her own business instead of sassing back at customers and her coworker?

So the friend who couldn't be bothered to let Kat bring a friend to her re-wedding is now her bestie and they share a bed on a secret staycation?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, femmefan1946 said:

The critiques were great though.

She did say that she learned partway through that she was supposed to spit it out. 

24 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Have they mentioned Kat's father at all?

He’s dead. That’s what made Kay decide to quit her job and open the cat cafe. 

24 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I really wish they had made Cheyenne Jackson's character gay. He and Kat give off much better gay man/straight woman vibe than potential romantic partners/unrequited love on Kat's part, but I guess with Leslie Jordan camping it up, there can be only one (gay man on any sitcom).

They couldn’t. A quirky woman who is not conventionally attractive finding love with a gorgeous guy such been in love with for years is the show’s entire plot. 

Edited by Guest

It did not take long for the show to fall into I Love Lucy-level rut of shenanigans and dumb misunderstandings. They even went for the old gag of the big ass roof door that was locked from the inside; were they expecting anyone to find it surprising and funny?

I keep forgetting the show is on and then have to catch up from other platforms.

I may well skip the latter action in the future.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Dani said:

They couldn’t. A quirky woman who is not conventionally attractive finding love with a gorgeous guy such been in love with for years is the show’s entire plot. 

It didn't work for me on "Miranda," and it doesn't work for me here. Why should it be the "entire plot"? Is the show saying that without a man, a woman is uncomplete? At least Cheyenne an Mayim are contemporaries (both 45 years old, although they're playing 39 on the show).

• Love 3
On 1/18/2021 at 11:15 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Co-sign.  I’ve been saying this to myself every episode. 

On 1/18/2021 at 11:39 PM, Dani said:

Having watched the original, I agree that they couldn't make him gay or it would defeat Kat at finding love and potentially turn her into someone pathetic that can't move on from him to someone else more attainable.  Of course even if he's straight, not ending up in a relationship with him at the start opens Kat up to being jealous of the other woman and seeing her as a rival, plus it gives her the potential to date other men but still hold out some hope for ending up with him.  Otherwise if he were gay that wouldn't encourage the female audience that identifies with someone like Kat to have hope that one day she (and they) will finally get the "man of their dreams".  And I think that is the point of the show.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, SmithW6079 said:

It didn't work for me on "Miranda," and it doesn't work for me here. Why should it be the "entire plot"? Is the show saying that without a man, a woman is uncomplete? At least Cheyenne an Mayim are contemporaries (both 45 years old, although they're playing 39 on the show).

No, it's not, in my opinion.  It's saying that a woman who is not exactly in this good looking guy's ballpark appearance-wise and in terms of social sophistication shouldn't allow those things to hold her back or make her think she is not worth ending up with him.  The message is to stop quirky, nerdy, women of below average looks from telling themselves they'll never get the guy they want, and that if he's the right guy he'll find them attractive and interesting anyway.

That said, even on Miranda the show never sold me on the genuineness of the guy's interest in her.  And it's being repeated here!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, JeezumCrow said:

Co-sign.  I’ve been saying this to myself every episode. 

I personally wouldn't find that show very interesting.  There's no implication here in my opinion that a woman needs a man to feel complete or any such generalization.  Kat is just crazy about THIS man and everyone ideally wants to end up with someone.  Hence the premise.  Making him completely unattainable romantically would defeat her and since she is our heroine we want her to have everything she wants.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I personally wouldn't find that show very interesting.  There's no implication here in my opinion that a woman needs a man to feel complete or any such generalization.  Kat is just crazy about THIS man and everyone ideally wants to end up with someone.  Hence the premise.  Making him completely unattainable romantically would defeat her and since she is our heroine we want her to have everything she wants.

I don’t know that it’d be a more interesting show (though that is a pretty low bar IMHO), I just think I would agree with the casting choices in that scenario. I don’t get any romantic chemistry or tension from Cheyenne and Mayim, though I feel it’s obvious I’m supposed to as the characters are written.  

Edited by JeezumCrow
  • Love 2
On 1/19/2021 at 10:13 AM, SmithW6079 said:

When I say “entire plot” I mean it’s the overarching plot of the show not that it’s the only plot. Neither Call Me Kat or Miranda is saying that a woman is incomplete without a man. Miranda was about showing that an unconventional woman can see themselves as attractive even if most of the world will never affirm it. It about challenging stereotypes. The hot gay best friend just perpetuates stereotypes. 

On 1/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, icemiser69 said:

Plain Jane winning the heart of Joe Studmuffin has been done to death.

Where? I can only think of a handful of stories that have done it and it is rarely the main story or treated as a love story. The reverse has been done to death. 

2 hours ago, JeezumCrow said:

I don’t know that it’d be a more interesting show (though that is a pretty low bar IMHO), I just think I would agree with the casting choices in that scenario. I don’t get any romantic chemistry or tension from Cheyenne and Mayim, though I feel it’s obvious I’m supposed to as the characters are written.  

I don’t like the casting choice either. If the chemistry isn’t there they should have went with a different actor. Changing the role to make the relationship platonic doesn’t work for the show. 

I am willing to give it more time because I did think they had some chemistry in the second episode.