Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Plus One

• Start Topic

I agree. They need more cats in the cat cafe. I have seen actual cat cafes and they have more than 2, and the 2 aren't hiding inside their beds, either. 

I also agree that the first episode was not successful for other reasons. I kept wondering if the director was torturing everyone to get them to act  badly. We know this cast can do better, so it must have been a deliberate effect they were going for, but I didn't like it. I like the IDEA of the show, but I don't like the style of it. And I have watched a lot of different types of sitcom formats and been okay with it. So, please... fix the direction. I think that's all that's really crucial to making it much better.

I'm not a fan of the waving at the end, but I'll get over it if they fix the other stuff.

• Love 1

I accidentally watched this.  LOL.  I wouldn't have specifically sought it out.  That said, it wasn't terrible-terrible but it was awkward.  The cast chemistry felt off, Mayim was dialed up to 100 while everyone else seemed at half speed.  And I hate laugh tracks and fourth wall stuff.

But I kinda liked what the show was going for with her character -- a single woman who is satisfied with her life.   And I did get a chuckle or two  -- one was her rhapsodizing about her pantsuit and the very final credits when the imaginary French woman wandered in to join the rest of the cast. For some reason that just struck me as funny.  I am gonna give it another episode to see if it settles into itself.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I agree. They need more cats in the cat cafe. I have seen actual cat cafes and they have more than 2, and the 2 aren't hiding inside their beds, either. 

I’m going to assume that with COVID, they have to limit the amount of animals on set along with humans.

• Love 2

I don't really remember what the cafe looks like and will have to pay attention next time. Does it have a lot of cat decor at least (cheesy but this is a sitcom)? Because my impression is there was nothing outstanding and it looks like a typical cafe. I wouldn't know it was a cat cafe if I missed the beginning of the show.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3

Oof, this was soooooo baaaaaad. I was embarrassed for Mayim Bialek; she was truly cringe-worthy, although the rest of the cast really wasn't much better. Swoozie Kurtz has so damaged her face, I expect her to play Jocelyn Wildenstein in the TV movie. (Jocelyn Wildenstein's "accomplishment" on Wikipedia is "known for extensive facial surgeries.")

This was so terribly unfunny. I watched "Miranda" when it was on PBS, and while I occasionally found it humorous, I'm not a fan of embarrassment humor overall and there were too many instances of Miranda embarrassing herself for the comedy. That is not Mayim's strong point in any event. 

What was the deal with the "friend"? Are they establishing out of the gate that she's a big ol' bitch? If she didn't want Kat to bring someone who might be just a friend to her re-wedding, she shouldn't have indicated a plus-one. For that matter, are they friends or just people who went to high school together? If it's the latter, why even invite her? If they're friends, wouldn't Bridezilla know that Kat isn't dating anyone?

I like Cheyenne Jackson, and I think he acquitted himself well enough here, but I don't buy him as a straight man. Now, I would be the first to argue that being openly gay doesn't mean an actor can't play "straight," but in Cheyenne's case, I didn't believe it for a second. Matt Bomer, Neal Patrick Harris -- I have no issue with believing it when they play heterosexual men.  

At the cafe, nobody impressed me. Leslie Jordan basically just plays Leslie Jordan in everything he does, and it looks like they're established the Black employee as "sassy Black woman." No thanks.

They really, really, really overused the fourth-wall breaking. As a couple of other posters have mentioned, Burns & Allen did it well, and so did Better Off Ted. Kat's spit take at the audience in the first two seconds put me off. It's like those cheesy host introductions on bad TV shows (well, I guess that's true here).

I might give it another shot, because I like Mayim Bialek, but I'm not hopeful. I completely forgot it was on in the first place & only watched it on-demand.

• Love 5

I went on Hulu and started watching Miranda. Was laughing so hard, so funny.

I agree with previous posters that this show is trying too hard to recreate Miranda instead of creating “Mayim”. It was so so awkward and yes, the 4th wall was broken too much and so awkwardly vs. Miranda where it was more like she talking to herself.

And there was Tom Ellis who I am always happy to see on my screen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Oof, this was soooooo baaaaaad. I was embarrassed for Mayim Bialek; she was truly cringe-worthy, although the rest of the cast really wasn't much better. Swoozie Kurtz has so damaged her face, I expect her to play Jocelyn Wildenstein in the TV movie. (Jocelyn Wildenstein's "accomplishment" on Wikipedia is "known for extensive facial surgeries.")

This was so terribly unfunny. I watched "Miranda" when it was on PBS, and while I occasionally found it humorous, I'm not a fan of embarrassment humor overall and there were too many instances of Miranda embarrassing herself for the comedy. That is not Mayim's strong point in any event. 

What was the deal with the "friend"? Are they establishing out of the gate that she's a big ol' bitch? If she didn't want Kat to bring someone who might be just a friend to her re-wedding, she shouldn't have indicated a plus-one. For that matter, are they friends or just people who went to high school together? If it's the latter, why even invite her? If they're friends, wouldn't Bridezilla know that Kat isn't dating anyone?

I like Cheyenne Jackson, and I think he acquitted himself well enough here, but I don't buy him as a straight man. Now, I would be the first to argue that being openly gay doesn't mean an actor can't play "straight," but in Cheyenne's case, I didn't believe it for a second. Matt Bomer, Neal Patrick Harris -- I have no issue with believing it when they play heterosexual men.  

At the cafe, nobody impressed me. Leslie Jordan basically just plays Leslie Jordan in everything he does, and it looks like they're established the Black employee as "sassy Black woman." No thanks.

They really, really, really overused the fourth-wall breaking. As a couple of other posters have mentioned, Burns & Allen did it well, and so did Better Off Ted. Kat's spit take at the audience in the first two seconds put me off. It's like those cheesy host introductions on bad TV shows (well, I guess that's true here).

I might give it another shot, because I like Mayim Bialek, but I'm not hopeful. I completely forgot it was on in the first place & only watched it on-demand.

That didn't make sense to me either and it was badly written. 
No wonder there's not natural chemistry with Mayim and Cheyenne.

I'll probably keep watching to compare-watch it with Miranda, and for the cats!

• Love 2
On 1/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, possibilities said:

I'm not a fan of the waving at the end, but I'll get over it if they fix the other stuff.

The waving at the end was part of the original Miranda series, and something I have seen before on Britcoms.  If anyone remembers "Are you Being Served?" they did that there too.

16 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I’m going to assume that with COVID, they have to limit the amount of animals on set along with humans.

On one of Mayim's videos on how they're filming during the pandemic she mentioned how they had to limit the cats and what they could do with the cats while on the set.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't really remember what the cafe looks like and will have to pay attention next time. Does it have a lot of cat decor at least (cheesy but this is a sitcom)? Because my impression is there was nothing outstanding and it looks like a typical cafe. I wouldn't know it was a cat cafe if I missed the beginning of the show.

It is a very poor excuse for a cat café!!😁

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The waving at the end was part of the original Miranda series, and something I have seen before on Britcoms.  If anyone remembers "Are you Being Served?" they did that there too.

But they at least put the names of the actors in front of each actor while they were waving so it made more natural sense than what they're doing here. 

• Love 2
On 1/10/2021 at 11:52 AM, Snow Apple said:

They had one cat tree in the corner, but at first I didn't even realize it was a cat tree. 

If the lack of more cats is about COVID, then I totally forgive it. But I think it still does contribute to the general tone problem.

RE Cheyenne, I don't actually know who he is (other than on this show) and it never occurred to me that he wasn't straight, so I wonder what % of the skepticism about his ability to pass is based on what people who know him know about him, vs his actual presentation. There are so many assumptions about what "gay" and "straight" look like, none of which really hold up in real life, in my experience.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

They had one cat tree in the corner, but at first I didn't even realize it was a cat tree. 

If the lack of more cats is about COVID, then I totally forgive it. But I think it still does contribute to the general tone problem.

From what Mayim said in an online video about making the show, too many cats would pose a problem because it's like herding cats, LOL.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 1/12/2021 at 8:29 AM, Yeah No said:

From what Mayim said in an online video about making the show, too many cats would pose a problem because it's like herding cats, LOL.

Why choose a Cat Cafe for Kat if they can't have a convincing number of cats on set?

I know she's also said that the cats they use on set are not sedated and they get to cuddle them between takes. I am not prepared to take her word for the former and somewhat sideeye her, as a vegan, being so OK with putting animals to work on set. They could've come up with something different and just as hip for the show

I don't have any objections to having a couple or a few cats on a sound stage or TV set.  Each cat would have a handler, a trained professional in the animal care industry, to look after the cats and ensure their welfare, safety and health is in compliance with American Humane.  The cats don't know that they're "working."  I would hesitate to call Ms. Bailik a liar in regard to sedating the cats.

If you watch Miranda, you may see what could have been the inspiration for a cat cafe in this American spin-off show, at the end of the series.

• Love 2

I didn't get past the first ten minutes.  for Ghu's sake, lose the laugh track.

Agree about Swoozie Kurtz. poor dear. She needs a better makeup artist. And I have always liked her.

I hope they do something with the retired math professor bit.

I can't say I like Leslie Jordan, but I do find him funny.

Miranda has been turning up on my FaceBook fairly often for some reason, possibly because of this show. Never could figure out the basic premise, but enjoyed the snippets. Loved her in Spy and Call the Midwife.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Each cat would have a handler, a trained professional in the animal care industry, to look after the cats and ensure their welfare, safety and health is in compliance with American Humane.  The cats don't know that they're "working."

Fair point about American Humane (although according to their guidelines they don't rule out sedation 100% either). And to be fair, most working animals don't know they are working. You are right that in general the conditions for working with animals on set are far better regulated now than they were 10 years ago.

I know that my views on this are quite strong (don't get me started on that poor zebra on Selling Sunset). Especially for this show because their choice to go with a cat cafe translates so badly on screen.

I'm completely in the minority. I loved it. I laughed bunches of times. I thought MB did a great job, putting her own spin on the Miranda Hart character. Yes, I've watched enough of the original (and I love Miranda, she's so talented). I liked the 4th wall breaking, I loved her silliness. I loved her confidence. I just had a joyful blast watching this.

• Love 5

I just found this on HULU as I was searching for something to watch. I did watch the original and thought it was a cute show and I really liked Miranda on Call the Midwife she's very talented.

I hate canned laughter and in my opinion breaking the 4th wall was done best on Malcolm in the Middle, not so much here.

I thought the characters were okay and I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if it improves.

Sex and the City had Carrie breaking the 4th wall during the first season, but dropped it after that season.  In an interview, Sarah Jessica Parker stated that the only person who could carry that off was Matthew Broderick (her husband) in Ferris Bueller's Day Off...  I think the producers should revisit that interview.  If it isn't done well, it can really be annoying.

I went back (because I really do like Mayim Bailik) and streamed the first three episodes.
Looks like they got Swoosie  a new makeup artist, she looked much better later.

I agree that Fourth Wall has to be put back in place.

I could see dressing the cat cafe with a number of robot cats.

And a guest appearance from TBBT "Zazzie".

I'm not sure about Call Me Kat. It was fairly funny - I laughed a few times. After one episode it's hard to tell. I didn't hate it. I plan to watch at least 1 more episode. Not all shows are instantly lovable.  However. I was totally shocked when I saw Swoozy Kurtz. She looked unnatural - very taut skin on a skeleton like body. There's more going on there than Botax and/or plastic surgery. She's always been a favorite, and the last time I saw her on a show she didn't look like a sickly anorexic. Her scenes were actually hard to watch.

I just remembered I had wanted to watch this so I watched the first two last night. Thoughts on the first - it was a little painful and over the top to watch. I think it's insulting to people with anxiety to claim "social anxiety" every time the character displays a complete lack of social skills or common sense. She's supposed to be a weird but functional adult, no? I could also do without the mom, such a cliche. I didn't mind the fourth wall breaking but I think it needs to be used more sparingly. I actually liked the waving at the end, it was cute! Will keep at it for a few episodes. I always remind myself how much I hated the first few episodes of Mom and how much I grew to love it. 

• Love 1

I saw Mayim on this show and thought I'd give it a try. After the introduction I told my husband they stole that from the show  Miranda. Then the opening credits started rolling and I saw the "based on the UK series Miranda". I love that show. However, I was not impressed with this one. It felt too forced. I normally give a show 3 episodes before writing it off but I don't think I'll be able to do it for this one.