Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Plus One

• Start Topic

I guess my first take is “Maybe, not sure”, especially with the asides to the audience (though that totally worked for me with Better Off Ted” from a few years back). So I’ll see how the next episode or 2 pans out and decide then whether to stick with it

• Love 7

That was bad. So bad.

I don’t understand her cafe. Is it a place to get coffee and food and play with cats? Or a place to adopt cats?
And what the ever loving heck is going on with her Mother’s face. Please tell me that is makeup and not what the person looks in real life.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I don’t understand her cafe. Is it a place to get coffee and food and play with cats? Or a place to adopt cats?

My guess is it's based on Crumbs and Whiskers, which is in LA and DC. The way it works is that they partner with a shelter(s) so the cats can be socialized and be seen by people who may want to adopt them. A C&W worker I spoke to a while back on a visit told me that the longest cats ever seem to be there is maybe a few months? Some are scooped up within days or even the day they come to the cafe. I used to visit about twice a year and the roster was never the same. The cafe frees up shelter space, so adopting one cat means saving two or more. They're at over 1500 adopted and more than 3000 cats saved from euthanasia.

Even if you aren't adopting it's a place to have a snack while playing with cats, which helps socialize them giving them a better chance at adoption, and gives you cuddle/play time with kitties. Everyone wins.

The biggest difference here though is that they make the food in-house, at the LA location it only passed health codes because the food is prepared in a separate kitchen (possibly a partner coffee shop? I forget) and delivered to the customers near the start of 90 minute cafe sessions.

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Useful 8
  • Love 9

With a solid cast, good production team and top notch comedy director, this should have been a winner. I was very disappointed in the result. I can deal with 4th wall breaking, but there was A LOT.  Kat is someone that I am supposed to relate to and down the line I probably could, but there was something with her characterization that made me want to slap her more. 

I normally give a new show 3 episodes to work out their kinks so I’ll try again on Thursday (and during these COVID times, I’m willing to be more patient) but overall, that was not good. 

• Love 15

This was horribly disappointing.  I will give it one more try, because so often the pilot isn't fully formed and there can be major retooling between a pilot and the second episode.  But I'm not sure what could happen to turn this around to a funny, smart comedy.  Mayim's lines all seemed just so forced - we all know she's better than this.  Didn't like the best friend, didn't like Swoozie Kurtz as the mom.  Wasn't really crazy about the guy friend, and I have to wonder if the average looking woman will ever end up with the hot guy on a sitcom, but my guess is not this time. 

For the first new show of 2021, this was a let down.  😞

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 10

How much did Mayim Bialik dislike being on "What Not To Wear" that the writers worked it into this episode, or did she ask them to? A bit meta. I wanted to like the show, but it felt awkward & not funny. I've never seen an episode of "Miranda", I assume this does that show a disservice.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

I was very disappointed.  I loved Mayim on The Big Bang Theory.  I can see her wanting to play a completely different kind of character, but the slapstick in this show is not funny or cute or endearing, just kind of cringeworthy.  And I am not a fan of speaking to the audience.  I find it disruptive.

How many facelifts have been done to Swoozie Kurtz?  I had to avert my eyes every time her face was on screen.

The dig at "What Not to Wear" surprised me.  That was what, six, seven years ago?  One, no one forced her to go on the show and two, even if she regretted it, that's a long time to hold a grudge!

• Love 9

Leslie Jordan was the best thing about this episode. I’ve loved him for a long time and his recent posts during the lockdown were awesome. It’s time he had a larger role in a show. 

I have to agree with everyone here that the slapstick stuff and the 4th wall breaking were overdone. I don’t mind her being awkward, but I think there are better ways to convey that. I’d much rather have smartly written humor. I never saw Miranda that this is based on, but I read that show was about the main character being taller than everyone. This show is supposed to focus on Mayim being short and awkward.

About cat cafes, they have been popping up all over the country the past few years. You can adopt the cats at the cafe or just pay to spend time petting them. Some people find the cafes relaxing and it’s an alternative if someone can’t have a pet in their home. 

This episode was not great, but I’m willing to give it more episodes before bailing.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Frost said:

The dig at "What Not to Wear" surprised me.  That was what, six, seven years ago?  One, no one forced her to go on the show and two, even if she regretted it, that's a long time to hold a grudge!

I missed what the dig was but her What Not To Wear episode aired in 2009.  It seems Mayim liked the experience so I guess it’s something her character would have been ambushed by and hated. https://groknation.com/culture/stacy-london-five-deep-questions/

• Love 2

So I think comedies usually take a season before they click in place.  It's pretty rare for me to laugh at the first season of a show. Therefore, I'm probably going to give this show a lot of leeway because I like the cast  and I LOVE the show this was based on.

But adaptations are tricky.  Miranda (the original series) was written by, created for and starred Miranda Hart.  She had a very specific vision that she wanted to accomplish with that show which included highlighting the trials and tribulations of being a tall and awkward woman while also playing homage to British sitcoms of yore. 

Some of the things they did, like talking to the camera and waving to the camera at the end (which in the original is when the cast's names would appear in front of them waving which made that moment more purposeful) were things that I think happened more in  Britcoms of the 70s/80s than American sitcoms from back in the day.  That's not to say those things didn't happen but I don't think they happened enough that those choices stand out as an homage. 

The show is still also clearly writing for Miranda Hart's strengths rather than Mayim Bialik's.  As I was watching, I found myself wondering if some of the exaggerated slapstick is really Mayim's strength.  The show won't click into place until they do that.

The original also had a friend who wasn't quite as socially awkward as Kat but who would automatically join her in her silliness. Maybe Leslie Jordan's character can be that person.  I thought their scenes together were by far the highlight of the episode. 

One thing that surprised me is that the translation the character played by Tom Ellis in the original, Cheyenne Jackson here, was pretty spot on.  He's good looking, friendly, sweet and not too judgmental of her weirdness. 

I'm really holding out for the third episode as I think that was the sixth episode in the original series and when I actually fell hard for the original. 

I will keep watching and hopefully the show will find itself and become a success so Miranda Hart can get Ricky Gervais (The Office) type money as creator. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 13

I never heard of this show until like a week or so ago (and never seen Miranda, the UK show this is based on). Then I seen a commercial on it, and thought I would give it a watch. I thought Kat herself was pretty funny here, particularly when she kept accidentally kicking other people in the face. I've definitely seen worse.

That said, cats were barely shown in this episode. I hope future episodes can change that. I see most here were disappointed. Having just heard of the show, I came in not expecting much. After Mayim Bialik played Amy in The Big Bang Theory for so long, it's kind of weird to see her as someone else now. I'll definitely check out at least the new few episodes. I can see the potential here.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 7

As a happy single woman with no kids from the south, with a mother whose goal in life was to marry me off, and friends  who were obsessed with their perfect weddings,  I totally related to this show.

I love Mayim Bialek. The premier episode was a bit clunky, trying to introduce too many characters and situations in such a short time. Hopefully the show will settle in and find its focus.

I loved the scene with Mayim and her plus one dancing to the Git Up. And I loved the bar owner, I think his name was Carter? In the short time that we saw him, he had some good lines and he has a bit of It Factor that makes me hope we see more of him.

Don't care for the Mom character, but I don't think we are supposed to like her. Maybe Kat and the Mom will stop speaking to each other, and we won't have to see the Mom as much?

All in all, I liked it enough to keep watching.

• Love 8

I'm not fond of the mom either. In my opinion, Swoozie Kurtz is just playing a variation of her character from Mike & Molly, and a pale version at that. I've seen her in other things so I know she has more range than that. But I guess one can just do so much with the material given. Hopefully the episodes get better. The first episodes of shows can be odd until they settle in.

• Love 4

I loved, loved, loved Miranda, so I was looking forward to this.  Unfortunately, it just wasn't there.  Some bits were lifted directly from Miranda, like the 'what not to wear' bit.  So not sure if that's really a Mayim dig, because it was on Miranda also.  I also love Leslie Jordan, so was hoping for the best.

I will watch a few more episodes to see if maybe they iron it out.  But I was so disappointed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I agree that Leslie Jordan was the best thing about this episode.  Mayim's character is way too hyper.  Is that they're way of saying she's eccentric?  Fine, but it just comes across as too much.  And don't even get me started on Swoozie Kurtz.  I always liked her, but her face has become a cautionary tale for Botox overuse.  She could barely open her moth.  It was beyond distracting.  I'll give it one more episode, but I doubt anything will improve.  Bottom line is, it's just not funny.

• Love 10

How many facelifts have been done to Swoozie Kurtz? 

My god, she looked...spackled

I'm with just about everyone in that I will give this another ep or two to see if it improves. It's not like there are so many choices of new programming these days. But the 4th wall breaking was just too twee. 

• Love 7

I am unable to look at Swoozie. At one time I really enjoyed her but her face and anorexia are too painful to see in a comedy.

I did not love the show. Too much talking to the audience. Not really funny. Need more cat cafe. I will stay with it due to the cast but I hope it improves. 

• Love 14

After posting here last night I decided to watch an episode of Miranda on Amazon Prime. I see now what they were going for with Kat, but the execution is not there. In the episode I saw of the original, the whole cast was in on the silliness and it was actually funny. On Kat, it seemed like everyone was just shaking their head at Kat being weird. I think the writers are going to have to figure out how to make it work for the ensemble as well as what’s funny for an American audience. The constant spit takes are just off putting, especially before they even give us a chance to get to know the characters. I hope they can make adjustments and just focus on what is really funny. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

The show is still also clearly writing for Miranda Hart's strengths rather than Mayim Bialik's.  As I was watching, I found myself wondering if some of the exaggerated slapstick is really Mayim's strength.  The show won't click into place until they do that.

Thats exactly what irked me. If they insist on keeping close to the source material then Mayim, who does not have much range as an actress anyway, is not the woman for the job. I also feel that the actress who plays Kat's mother wasn't a good choice, I'd rather she was more like Miranda's mom.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like that they've gone for a cat cafe because I don't like animals put to work on TV sets.

• Love 5

I like cats and Mayim Bialik is likable, but this was not a good start.  I know a lot of shows need a little time to find their footing, so maybe things will get better in the future.  Couldn't get much worse lol.  I'm probably out though, they didn't do enough to hold me, and the last thing I need is to increase my TV viewing time.  I can't remember a single moment that I thought was funny.  Everybody waving at the end is cute though.  Unfortunately, that was the best part.  Along with the tortoiseshell cat.

I watched The Great North cartoon on after, and that was so much better written.  Alanis Morissette had a line:  "I've got one hand in my pocket, and the other is very proud of you".  I thought that was a better line than anything that was on Call Me Kat.

I didn't realize it was based on a British show, that makes sense.  As others have pointed out, it all seemed very forced.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Bingo, nailed it.  Mayim doesn't have the flighty/goofy/spacey-ness of Miranda Hart so this kind of slapstick humor falls flat with her.  And it feels like she's trying too hard to reproduce that kind of humor, too, which doesn't help.  The show is trying to be so much like the original that it doesn't play up Mayim's strengths, but only accentuates her weaknesses. 

2 hours ago, Aulty said:

Thats exactly what irked me. If they insist on keeping close to the source material then Mayim, who does not have much range as an actress anyway, is not the woman for the job.

I agree, I felt almost like she was trying to play a kookier, more care-free Amy, but still too much Amy to play the role right.

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I didn't realize it was based on a British show, that makes sense.  As others have pointed out, it all seemed very forced.

Yes and it shouldn't feel forced.  I recommend that anyone who hasn't seen the original series seek it out to see the difference.

• Love 3

The scene where Mayim said that she was married with two children was very cringe-worthy. Was there a scene that explained why she would lie like that?

Pro tip: If you have a crush on someone, tell them that you are single. If things go well you can always dump the spouse.

For optimal 4th-wall breaking, watch the old 'Burns and Allen' show.

• Love 10

“Liar Liar” was on just before I fired this up on the DVR and Swoosie Kurtz was...alarming.

And that’s about as far as I got.  The fourth wall breaking was way way way too overused for my taste so about ten minutes in I stopped watching and deleted the series.  Too bad.  The ads made it seem so different.

• Love 6

What a colossal waste of talent!

I like MB, especially since she made more of Amy on TBBT than the underwritten stereotype she was designed as initially, but she did not seem comfortable here. I am not sure if it is because she has not yet caught the hang of the asides to the audience, or because there were just much too many of them.

SK's character is the usual cliché of the overbearing mother, only this time performed by a walking wax figure from Madame Tussaud's. She has always had very idiosyncratic features, which added to her originality and appeal, and I suppose ageing accentuated them, but this is clearly abuse of plastic surgery.

Leslie Jordan almost saved the few scenes he was in. Cheyenne Jackson was just not really there there.

So Miranda is on Amazon Prime? I may check it out to compare.

• Love 5

I . . . didn't hate it.  Not great, but enjoyable enough that I'll give it a second viewing.  I'm apparently in the minority in that I didn't really mind the wall breaking.  What I didn't get was the cast all waving at the end.  It was almost like a curtain call in a play.  Was that an homage to the original? 

Leslie Jordan is the very definition of typecasting. 

I just watched one episode of Miranda on Amazon. I think one reason the asides to the audiences do not work as well on this US version is that MB plays it so earnestly and is sooooo eager to please and to look endearing, whereas the actress in the original has more of an edge and is just sarcastic enough when confiding with the viewers. Perhaps they will make the necessary tonal adjustments in the next few episodes.

As @Door County Cherry said, the hand waving works better in the UK version because everyone gets their own go at it instead of having this awkward collective moment, that has a strange similarity to the Beverly Hillbillies closing credits.

• Love 3

This was a huge disappointment to me. I like the lead actress, I liked the cast, and I want a comedy about an unconventional woman who is happy with her life. However, I absolutely hate the constant chattering to the camera. I don’t want to be your friend; I want you to entertain me with a story. I can also live without the fantasy interludes.  It reminds me a LOT of “Fleabag”, another show I hated for the same reason. Even when it’s good, you can never lose yourself in the story. I’m out.

• Love 6

I love Miranda and recently rewatched the whole series, so it was fresh in my mind as I watched this. Overall, this show felt exactly like watching the pilot of the US version of The Office- many lines were lifted directly from the UK original, but the delivery was often awkward and jarring, and some of the inherent "Britishness" of the comedy didn't translate well to US tastes. The "What Not to Wear" joke was a direct lift, and I'm honestly surprised they didn't update the reference, as it clearly stuck out as dated to many viewers. Same thing with Kat's cringey story about her fake husband and kids, right down to the fake names of "Orlando" and "Bloom." I didn't care for the copied jokes, especially since (as noted above), the original was created and performed by Miranda Hart, who is a comedian with a very distinct style and delivery and they felt weird coming out of someone else's mouth.

I'm still going to give this another chance, mainly because I like the premise and most of the actors, and I think it has promise if given the chance to find its feet. I know Cheyanne Jackson from 30 Rock, so even though he was fairly muted on this episode, I know he can do funny and silly pretty well. The one character that didn't work for me was the woman who had the vow renewal. I just didn't buy that she would still be friends with Kat, even if they were close as children. That character's equivalent worked on Miranda because in spite of being more successful, she was just as wacky and ridiculous as Miranda in her own way (mainly seen in her hilarious way of speaking).

• Love 3

Holy Mother of All That's Holy, who told Swoozie Kurtz all that work was a good idea? I've loved her since Sisters, but I just turned on the show and had to come and confirm that it wasn't just me.

I can go either way on the fourth wall and laugh tracks, but opening with a spit take, the fourth wall, AND Swoozie Kurtz's face number lower face being held together with overpriced spackle? WOW. 

• Love 9
On 1/3/2021 at 8:45 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

That was bad. So bad.

And what the ever loving heck is going on with her Mother’s face. Please tell me that is makeup and not what the person looks in real life.

Susie Kurtz has been looking like death for years even on Mike and Molly. But BY God she could play an alien in a science-fiction movie these days. Someone should help that woman because she looks severely anorexic, frail,  and full of fillers, Botox,  and plastic surgery she is literally scary!!😳😳

• Love 7

People complain forever when actors (especially women) get work done.   Then they do the same when they don’t.  Susie Kurtz just looks old to me (maybe a little rough like she did some living) but then “old” and “female” might as well mean death.   If she had tons of work done people would be bitching about her plastic face.     It really is a lose/lose.

Still this is not my kind of show.   Never been huge on comedies.  I like BBT because I liked the original cast and the original idea appealed to me but that took four of five episodes to hot it’s stride.  After the pilot I thought the show was offensively bad but I watched a few more episodes and never looked back.

I never been a fan of British comedy.   I like their drama, science fiction and mysteries but not their comedy and I honestly don’t care about animals so I really don’t think this is gonna be for me.   

Edited by Chaos Theory

Mayim needs to find her own niche and have her own show. She's not Miranda and it's not working. I'll give it another week, but I'm not optimistic. I feel bad for Leslie Jordan, stuck once again in a show that isn't quite happening.

Reminds me of the US remake of The IT Crowd. They even brought in Richard Ayoade (who is hysterical) to reprise his UK role opposite Joel McHale. It was a total dud. The UK version is brilliant and it's on Netflix.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Bingo, nailed it.  Mayim doesn't have the flighty/goofy/spacey-ness of Miranda Hart so this kind of slapstick humor falls flat with her.  And it feels like she's trying too hard to reproduce that kind of humor, too, which doesn't help.  The show is trying to be so much like the original that it doesn't play up Mayim's strengths, but only accentuates her weaknesses.

I don't know.  I get that this is an attempt at the American version of Miranda Hart (something on my list to watch, but I've not had the chance).  But Mayim has done goofy/spacey before in the early 90s on a show called Blossom.  It wasn't perfect, but the show had a little bit of charm to it.  Her character wasn't near as flighty as either her friend Six, or her brother Joey, but Mayim did a decent job.  Blossom had sort of an independent streak and marched to her own drum regardless of what others thought. 

I also know that when converting British Comedies for American audiences, alot of changes are required.  I've yet to understand the reason, because I usually find the British versions more funny than the American versions.  I think I'm the only person who didn't like the American version of The Office.  Now the British version was very funny. 

• Love 2

We wanted to like it, we wanted to watch it, but after the first 10 minutes of the constant 4th wall breaking, DH couldn't tolerate it anymore. We thought it was awful and painfully not funny at all. Stick a fork in us, we're done.

Poor Swoozie Kurtz - I did a double-take because she truly does look like a melting Madame Tussaud's figure. It also appears that her head continues to get bigger, and her body somehow continues to get smaller/thinner/more frail. 

We've never been fans of The Office, never made it through one episode, and so tired of Comedy Central running that show for hours and hours and hours on end.

• Love 5

Love Miranda Hart. Loved her in Call the Midwife, and in Miranda. She has a comic timing and ability with physical comedy that is top notch. The broad comedy just works with her. Her show was genius, and the 4th wall thing doesn't bother me on her show. It works.

I like Mayim well enough, and think she could grow into this character. But I need to know, what does Swoozie have on the ptb at that studio? Surely there are more 65-70ish actresses looking for work. I can't look at her, it's so troubling that women will do that to themselves, and Hollywood encourages it. I know a 70 year old lady who is fighting lung cancer, who weighs about 70 pounds. She looks healthier than Swoozie. Gah.

The rest of the cast felt like a checklist. Older gay male, check. Young pretty black friend, check. Attractive black guy, check. Hunky guy from your past, check.

Meh. Will watch a few more, it may improve.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Susie Kurtz just looks old to me (maybe a little rough like she did some living) but then “old” and “female” might as well mean death.  

She indeed looked old and wore it well in previous appearances. But in this, it looks like she is wearing a wax face from Madame Tussaud's as I said previously, or perhaps is playing some variant of the Golem. Perhaps they troweled on the make-up much too heavily or as speculated widely here she simply went a few times too many under the knife, with heavy doses of injections to boot.

It is very distracting from the material, which is very weak to begin with. Not sure if I will remember to tune in next Sunday Night.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, kirkola said:

But Mayim has done goofy/spacey before in the early 90s on a show called Blossom.  It wasn't perfect, but the show had a little bit of charm to it.  Her character wasn't near as flighty as either her friend Six, or her brother Joey, but Mayim did a decent job.  Blossom had sort of an independent streak and marched to her own drum regardless of what others thought. 

WHOA! (Sorry, had to.)  But I think you're right.  I think for this to somewhat work, Mayim needs to tap into the general idea on where Blossom would be in her late 30s.  (It helps that Blossom had a quirky and off beat fashion sense as a teen and I sort of saw some of that in Kat.)  She can be a bit lovestruck that her crush is back and is single, but also dial down the slapstick, which I found more distracting than the 4th wall breaking.  She looked pretty uncomfortable trying to hit those marks.   

• Love 6
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

WHOA! (Sorry, had to.)  But I think you're right.  I think for this to somewhat work, Mayim needs to tap into the general idea on where Blossom would be in her late 30s. 

I'm totally onboard for thinking of this as Blossom Grown Up. I loved that show as a kid!

• Love 4
On 1/4/2021 at 5:39 PM, appositival said:

The scene where Mayim said that she was married with two children was very cringe-worthy. Was there a scene that explained why she would lie like that?

Pro tip: If you have a crush on someone, tell them that you are single. If things go well you can always dump the spouse.

For optimal 4th-wall breaking, watch the old 'Burns and Allen' show.

That was another one of those things that Miranda Hart could have pulled off well but Mayim isn't.  Miranda had a way of going way off into the absurd with her desperation yet making it funny at the same time.  Like she would trip and fall and gush over the guy and make it obvious that she is sabotaging things because she sees herself as a loser with a capital L.  Plus then she would make faces at the audience so we know she's so gaga over him that she would tell him anything, even an insane lie that she could never keep up if she thought (in her self sabotaging delusion) that it might make him like her more.  Immediately after that kind of behavior Miranda conveyed to the audience that she knew she couldn't help herself and messed up.  It was funny because we can all relate to how she feels even if we'd never take it to that insane extreme.  Somehow Mayim trying to do that isn't working.  I think perhaps Mayim has never felt like quite as much of a loser so she can't draw upon those feelings to make it believable.  It's obvious that the character Miranda was playing was based on herself and some of her painful experiences that she is finding the humor in now.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

WHOA! (Sorry, had to.)  But I think you're right.  I think for this to somewhat work, Mayim needs to tap into the general idea on where Blossom would be in her late 30s.  (It helps that Blossom had a quirky and off beat fashion sense as a teen and I sort of saw some of that in Kat.)  She can be a bit lovestruck that her crush is back and is single, but also dial down the slapstick, which I found more distracting than the 4th wall breaking.  She looked pretty uncomfortable trying to hit those marks.   

I'm just a little too old to have watched her in that show as it was one of those series that appealed to a generation younger than me, but now that you mention that I'll have to watch a few episodes to see what you're talking about.

13 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I feel bad for Leslie Jordan, stuck once again in a show that isn't quite happening.

I know, me too.  I loved him in that series last year at the retirement living facility.  The show itself sucked but he was great.  I actually think he would do a better job in Mayim's role in this series than Mayim herself!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I am starved for TV entertainment and I will always love Mayim Baliak and Leslie Jordan, but I had a really hard time getting through the first episode. 

It was just not acted well at all and the main characters seemed to be pandering to the camera.

That being said, my biggest disappointment was that she was opening a cat cafe with 2 cats. Seriously, we have 3 (used to be 4) inside  and a “feral “ colony of about 12 (used to be about 22). They are feral in that you can’t touch them or come near them but will will pluck at the window screen if you haven’t fed them in the last 3 hours.
I keep telling hubby that he is 4 cats and a skirt short of being a crazy cat lady....

• Love 1