Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Long Road Home

• Start Topic

On 1/5/2021 at 7:05 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Will be interested to find out why Laurel let William think she was dead next week.

Maybe it didn't occur to her that he thought she was dead- she just wanted to leave?

• Love 1
On 1/5/2021 at 10:02 PM, Suzy Rhapsody said:

This show tries my patience every single week, but I’m absolutely bewildered by Kate’s storyline.  She chooses to tell Toby about her previous pregnancy, which he took admirably well, for him (and he damn well better have).  When the dust from that conversation settles, she Googles her teenage ex-boyfriend.  Okay.  I get that.  We’re all curious people who have that one asshole boyfriend or girlfriend in our pasts and we want to know what they amounted to.  We’ve all done it.  She then takes a giant leap from some innocent Googling to deciding to travel to San Diego to confront him . . . at his job.  This is where she completely loses me- and earlier than usual in the episode.  There is no guy on planet earth who would have stood there and listened to her three-minute sidewalk soliloquy, much less a 40-something slimeball like that who had just been scolded by his supervisor for taking too many smoke breaks outside the guitar store.  Honestly, by the time she finished talking, I was kind of on his side (half-joking, but still).  He made a good point: They had a six-month relationship 20+ years ago.  It was over long ago.  To show up out of the blue to roast him in public was not a display of strength.  It felt to me like incredible weakness.  Why would she give him all that she did?  I cannot imagine granting all of that power to some douchebag from my past who had hurt me as a teenager, pregnancy or not.  Hell, no.  More than anything, it just made zero sense to me.  My general patience with Kate was already low, but this is a level of self-indulgence that defies all reality. 

You have captured my thoughts exactly, minus one observation: I am pretty lenient with this show in terms of realistic portrayal of life, but the concept of Kate chasing Marc down in person is RIDICULOUS. This is a case where some googling and a facebook message would have fulfilled her need for closure and kept her from doing something super freaking weird. Also, that he conveniently lives in Southern California? Oh come on. And it's a PANDEMIC. I haven't been able to visit my dad in 10 months.  I'm definitely not going to drop in on my ex from 20 years ago with my husband and ...just no.

Show, don't don't that again. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Yes Kate, I am sure Marc your loser ex boyfriend is going to be crushed when you confront him with your super huge body and various mental health issues. I am sure Marc is going to think "Damn, I was such an asshat to her and look what I missed out on!" 

And Toby being the good little cuck enabler he is drives you there and you have no regard for his self esteem at all, because, well, he always puts you first. Don't be surprised when he finally has that affair. 

A reverse perspective.  I like it.  We've all been bagging on how much of a loser and jerk Marc still is, and can't believe he didn't actually say anything about the weight.  Maybe he was just speechless (and tactful) that he dodged that bullet!

• Love 3

I only wanted to see ex-boyfriends when I looked fit and happy so it's hard for me to imagine someone obese who wasn't obese is going to confront her former boyfriend/abuser and talk about how great she now has it in life and that she's winning.  

• Love 6
On 1/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, Cathy Santoni said:

Madison is being ridiculous! Quite honestly, I don’t see the problem with her and the babies tagging along on movie shoots for a few weeks a year, especially before they’re school age. It’s not like the transition would be that difficult with Kevin’s millions and a consistent nanny to bring along. Dare I say, it sounds kind of fun. Does Madison have a job because she doesn’t seem to be working or be passionate about any kind of career (which is fine), so again — I don’t see the issue. Why does Kevin being all-in have to mean giving up his career (or giving up traveling for his career which, in this case, is basically the same thing) when they can easily all be together when he has to travel? It’s not like he’s gone months at a time and they can’t come. I don’t under why she’s being so unreasonable and unwilling to compromise at a

I thought the same thing:  does Madison even have a job? If she's not working, why not travel with your actor husband?  

Then again, she could have some really challenging career like all of them on this show that don't ever seem to have the constraints of a job.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

I thought the same thing:  does Madison even have a job? If she's not working, why not travel with your actor husband?  

Then again, she could have some really challenging career like all of them on this show that don't ever seem to have the constraints of a job.

Because she's not allowed into Canada right now, due to COVID border restrictions.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Because she's not allowed into Canada right now, due to COVID border restrictions.  

I thought the discussion was larger than the current pandemic period and that's what she's reacting to being tag-alongs at whatever movie set he's on.

Edited by Boo Boo
42 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

I thought the discussion was larger than the current pandemic period and that's what she's reacting to being tag-alongs at whatever movie set he's on.

Her being pregnant might be an issue too (there are people who want to have babies in Canada just so they could have citizenship).  Especially since she's high risk with multiples.  She has to be near her own doctor.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Her being pregnant might be an issue too (there are people who want to have babies in Canada just so they could have citizenship).  Especially since she's high risk with multiples.  She has to be near her own doctor.  

I'll have to watch the scene again, but I was thinking her issues weren't the right nows but the idea of that being her life with the children 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

I'll have to watch the scene again, but I was thinking her issues weren't the right nows but the idea of that being her life with the children 

Yes, that subject came up when they were interviewing the nanny, so it was about long-term plans and not just for this one movie.

Since Madison seems to be independently wealthy, I wonder whether one or both of her parents were successful actors/directors/producers and she had to spent a lot of her childhood traveling with them to different filming locations. If she had experienced that lifestyle first-hand and didn't like it, I can see that she would be apprehensive about doing the same thing to her children. But if that's the case she should have explained it to Kevin; I'm sure he would have been happy to work out a compromise, like only having the kids travel during school breaks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I watched this and was like 

Rule #1: Do not track down exes 

Rule#1 article A: Especially when that ex was an abusive sociopathic/ psychopath.

Rule#1 article B: Especially when relationship was over like 10 years + in the past.

I do agree however with Kate pointing out she was an 18 year old grieving and he was a 24 year old man.  That sounds predatory. I like Toby a lot though. This show understands a lot about relationships & how the small things point to bigger issues like the movie "Airplane" meant so much to Kate & to Marc, it was not only meaningless but a trigger to get up & get alcohol.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kdawg82 said:

I watched this and was like 

Rule #1: Do not track down exes 

Rule#1 article A: Especially when that ex was an abusive sociopathic/ psychopath.

Rule#1 article B: Especially when relationship was over like 10 years + in the past.

I do agree however with Kate pointing out she was an 18 year old grieving and he was a 24 year old man.  That sounds predatory. I like Toby a lot though. This show understands a lot about relationships & how the small things point to bigger issues like the movie "Airplane" meant so much to Kate & to Marc, it was not only meaningless but a trigger to get up & get alcohol.  

"Broken in all the right places" sounds more predatory to me than just the age difference.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Broken in all the right places" sounds more predatory to me than just the age difference.

Oh totally!  I'm no age difference shamer but yes... I probably moreso meant what you [Marc] said. It's the ugly thoughts or sentiments behind some of these men & women that go for the younger partner. 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 2

So Randall's birthmom is dead anyway? Man that is some serious blueballs the show gave us there. What's the point of all of that if we don't at least get an interesting new character out of it? Just so we can milk "Randall's emotional journey discovering shocking things about his birthparents" a little further? I'm so done with it.

It seems like Madison can work remotely, since she has been quarantaining since the start of the pandemic. Also I think it was mentioned before that she doesn't have many friends and that is why she glomed on to Kate so hard. So... why couldn't she just jet around the world with Kevin, especially for the limited amount of time movies actually shoot? What is the big problem here aside from having to milk some drama out of everything?

On 1/6/2021 at 4:10 AM, t7686 said:

She should have just written it all out in a letter and burned it instead. By confronting him she still gave him power. Toby seemed to be faking it a little, no? He just seemed slightly over her and her drama.

To be fair, it is a TV show and the first rule is "show don't tell". But the showing wasn't done very well. Wouldn't it have been way more interesting if he was sucessfull? Then I could have seen this going two different ways, either him being completely apologetic about what a jerlk he had been back then, or get defencive and thrown a bunch of stuff back at Kate. But him just standing there and taking it was just weird.

Edited by Zonk
On 1/6/2021 at 9:19 PM, geauxaway said:

The thing with Madison and Kevin is that she wasn’t happy when the lady stopped them on their walk to ask for a selfie with Kevin and she also (I think) was worried about his shirtless love scenes.  That’s now 3 red flags she has with regards to his career.  She is marrying the wrong person.  And he shouldn’t have to  constantly reassure her and walk on eggshells around her.  

I think it was more about the weight issues. Kevin's constant working out and refusal to eat right triggers her and so did the woman on the jog commenting about her weight.

It had nothing to do with the shirtless scene or the selfie. Kevin jsut assumed so at first.