Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2021 Season

• Start Topic

You never know with Rachel.  She may work something out to take a break for a year & then come back.  Look, there was absolutely a sense of urgency for her to be around before Biden, covering & highlighting the constant & endless barrage of scandals, lies, leaks, court proceedings, indictments, investigations & admin turnovers like nobody else in media.  That sense of urgency doesn’t exist right now.  So it’s actually a fairly good time for her to take a break.

She’ll certainly be missed exactly because nobody in media now covers American politics like she does.  A fine example of that was the way she covered Cuomo the other nite — not the same shit everyone else was repeating endlessly.  She dug deep into the rotten history of New York State politics & made plain (rightfully so) how angered she is that it took a scandal for NY to finally get a woman gov.   But she succinctly stated her thoughts on Cuomo & moved on.

Hey. maybe she’ll replace Cuomo on CNN . . .

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

ITA, sounds like she needs a break, certainly understandable, what with Susan being sick with Covid, and the turmoil of the Trump years.  But, I would miss her smart analysis, her coverage of stories no-one else was doing(Flint water crises), I hope MSNBC could keep her on-board for some kind of role, maybe doing Specials or covering Election nights.  I am feeling Sad.

Hi BuckeyeLou...I agree that Rachel does a fine job on election night.    Always interesting when she gets into discussions with Steve as he quickly pops up stats on remote counties.  Lets hope she (and her team) stay involved. 

Edited by grommit2
Fixed the answer
  • Love 2

Did anyone think the hand-off exchange with Ali last night had something to do with this story?  Ali just praising her and Rachel getting verklempt.  

I thought it was nice of him. 

• Love 6

Guess Rach was right — it’s August 13 & no, Trump has not been re-installed as Prez.  So the pillow guy was wrong?  Should we look for Rach to take a Friday nite swig of a very smart cocktail to celebrate? 😀😀😀

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Guess Rach was right — it’s August 13 & no, Trump has not been re-installed as Prez.  So the pillow guy was wrong?  Should we look for Rach to take a Friday nite swig of a very smart cocktail to celebrate? 😀😀😀

I'll be looking for the dry cleaning tag peeking out of the sleeve of her blazer.  

7 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Did anyone think the hand-off exchange with Ali last night had something to do with this story?  Ali just praising her and Rachel getting verklempt.  

I thought it was nice of him. 

I noticed that too, Ali called Rachel "the North Star" that they all look to...Rachel seemed choked up...I'm sure they will all miss her if she leaves

• Love 4

I remember a couple of years ago, when Lawrence O'Donnell was in the middle of negotiations on his contract renewal, and there were reports that MSNBC wasn't going to bring him back, Rachel spoke highly of him during their handoffs as well.

• Love 4

If this is a contract negotiation deal, I'm guessing she wants more time off/less working days.  Maybe she's negotiating to do shows for 3 days/week and special election week (let's face it, no longer election night) coverage, plus Debate Moderation. 

I will miss her if she takes a year long sebatical, i'd rather have less Rachel than no Rachel 😂

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 10

I knew when the camera got back on Rachel after they had showed a bunch of pictures of Zak's family that she's be crying. She is such a softie. That's ok. I had a tear in my eye too.

After the media went crazy showing the bedlam in Kabul and blaming it all on Biden, now that order has been relatively restored and planeload after planeload of Afghans are being flown out of there, funny how the media is mostly ignoring the story now, leaving a very negative last impression on people's minds. Hopefully Rachel and a few other responsible journalists will continue to report facts and update us about the situation over there.

• Love 9

Planes may be taking off but the situation is still very negative, as I thought her report showed very clearly. The system is not working. People are not getting safely to the airport. This story was a demonstration of how badly it's failing, and not a celebration of how well it's going. I'm glad the family showcased got out, but I thought the whole point of the story was that for the most part, the evacuations are not going smoothly at all.

• Love 2

Yeah, but once again, Rachel (and to some degree, LOD too) is on a vastly different track than the rest of MSNBC, & pretty much all the rest of media, which is endlessly  blasting the negativity of Afghanistan (with unduly biased blame only on Biden, and with no acknowledgement of Trump’s involvement).

All the rest of media is covering Afghanistan & Covid — and that’s it!  Makes me wonder if people are exhausted by coverage of both stories & are shutting off their interest in either.  At least Rachel is covering other topics, such as what’s going on in TX with voting rights.

And Rachel is not covering Afghanistan the way the others are.  She’s either hearing from people who are experiencing what’s going on now or from experts with relevant knowledge to provide helpful analysis.  She’s not just blasting grim images & screaming about it, like the others.  Sheesh, I’ve really had enough of watching that shit.

• Love 8

Rachel's ratings are still the highest, though, aren't they? So maybe her being on another planet isn't stopping the message from getting out.

However, I did see Joy Reid and Medhi Hassan (in for Chris Hayes) both contextualizing the Afghanistan situation, and reminding everyone that we didn't get here all of a sudden under Biden's admin.

• Love 3

It's time to refocus on actual episode content. This does not include other networks coverage.  

Limited mention of adjoining show's handling of topics compared to Rachel's is fine, considering how they tend to flow into one another.  (As long as it relates to actual episode content.) 

Sounds like Rachel will be sticking around:

Rachel Maddow Decides to Stay at MSNBC

Rachel Maddow, who was seriously considering ending her long run at MSNBC, has decided to stay put after all.

Insider broke the news of Maddow’s new multiyear contract, which was confirmed to The Daily Beast by two people familiar with the matter.

Maddow, 48, will continue to host her nightly show, which has MSNBC’s highest ratings, but the new deal also calls for her to pursue new projects with parent company NBC Universal.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 8/22/2021 at 3:44 PM, Moose135 said:

Sounds like Rachel will be sticking around:

Rachel Maddow Decides to Stay at MSNBC

Latest news is Rachel’s daily show is likely to end sometime in 2022 — so enjoy it while you can.  Her new contract is for about 30 “specials”, which may or may not be weekly.  Well, this is clearly what Rach wants.  

Her show was so good last nite, getting used to not having her commentary every nite during the week is gonna be damn hard!! 😢

• Love 3

A friend sent me this:

The daily edition of 'The Rachel Maddow Show' is coming to an end. So who will replace her?

Our mutual reaction: Oh no! Though I was kind of not 100% surprised. I feel like Rachel's been noting more frequently lately how long she's been doing the show.

52 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Her show was so good last nite, getting used to not having her commentary every nite during the week is gonna be damn hard!! 😢

I know I will be bereft at 8 pm CT Monday thru Friday 😭

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Poor Rach.  ALL cable news is now stuck in an unwatchable cycle of the same endless coverage.  Yup, it’s ONLY: Hurricane, Covid & Afghanistan — rinse, lather & repeat.  Ugh, it’s so depressing & awful & non-stop, I can’t stand watching it!  Will Rachel be forced to only cover these like the others?  Welp, knowing Rach, she’ll hopefully keep up the coverage of voting rights mostly everyone else in media has forgotten about . . .

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 5

Haiti could use a little mention, too. Joy Reid tries to say a sentence about it now and then, but that's all I've seen in a while. I think Rachel can pretty much do what she wants, though, so I'm pretty sure she'll cover what she wants to cover.

• Love 5

Rachel has been doing great coverage of the situation with Roe.  

That was really cool that she tracked down the NBC nightly news from the night of the Supreme Court decision on Roe.  Especially for the mention of President Johnson's death - not that I am glad he died but they mentioned he died at Brooke Army Medical Center and that is where I was born!

• Love 4

I've been watching whatever is uploaded to MSNBC on youtube. I don't know how much I can say, so I'd best leave it at that.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, ScoobieDoobs said:

Poor Rach.  ALL cable news is now stuck in an unwatchable cycle of the same endless coverage.  Yup, it’s ONLY: Hurricane, Covid & Afghanistan — rinse, lather & repeat.  Ugh, it’s so depressing & awful & non-stop, I can’t stand watching it!  Will Rachel be forced to only cover these like the others?  Welp, knowing Rach, she’ll hopefully keep up the coverage of voting rights mostly everyone else in media has forgotten about . . .

Not limited to the above now.

Edited by Anela
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

Why was Rachel not on tonight?

I'm guessing the start of the long weekend.  Joy did 2 hours, then Chris did 2 hours and by then, I'd turned on the baseball game so I don't know what happened next. 

Yeah, Rach was off Friday for Labor Day weekend.

Idk, she was looking so disturbed at what’s going on with Covid & with this horrible Supreme Court we’re now gonna be stuck with for decades — particularly in her interviews with the FEMA official & with Dahlia Lithwick.  Is she really gonna be OK getting rid of this show next year & only being on intermittently?  Really?  Her influence won’t be the same & I bet she’ll be chomping at the bit to chime in when something awful happens.  Guess we’ll see . . .

• Love 2

So last nite, Rachel did effectively explain the Times story of the Barr appointed US Attny in CT who filed that idiotic indictment.  But wow, that was complicated.  Good thing Rach explained it at least twice (or was it more?) cuz I was totally lost.  

Guess Rachel’s point on this bit of nonsense, that probably only she’s paying attention to, & the awesome Barb McQuade alluded to directly, is — Garland, WTF are you doing & why the heck haven’t you gotten rid of this Barr stooge & Trump suck-up/crony?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Can't find MSNBC thread ... Nicolle looks gorgeous today!!!  (She's on set & I guess hair & make-up part of the perks!!)

MSNBC can be found under "Network Talk"  & yes, Nicolle's hair looked gorgeous

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

As soon as she said, "that mole has changed" I knew it was Skin Cancer. 😥

Yes, I was not paying a lot of attention at the start of the story, so will listen to the repeat -- but I've known doctors who have written to people on the TV to say, "you should get that checked," so I wonder if there had been any of that in her mailbag.  I could not even see the band-aid. 

Stay well, Rachel!  Thank you, Susan!   

She said the mole was behind her jawline, so she herself couldn't see it when she looked in the mirror. I doubt anyTV  viewers could see it. I couldn't even see the bandaid. 

Her partner found it, and her hairdresser also noticed.

• Love 3

So glad Rachel had a good outcome, and that was a uniquely Rachel PSA, but I also wanted to second everything she said about minor league baseball games. I think it’s the purest form of the sport. I have many stories and memories that I will not share here, because topic 😉, but go back and listen to that part if you can (especially knowing how the rest of the story comes out).

• Love 4

So glad that Rach has picked up on regularly mentioning the awfulness we’re still enduring with DeJoy & how he’s destroying the USPS.  She started off Friday’s show saying she had news about him & later got sidetracked with the Texas anti-abortion story.

Did she ever get back to DeJoy?  Keep your spotlight on that roach, Rach!  It’s the only way to pressure this administration not to forget about him & to finally get rid of that creep!!!

Btw, I was always wondering about the moles on Rachel’s neck.  She had several & they’re all gone now . . .

• Love 2

Who knows if it really made a difference but going on Rachel's show seemed to help Timothy Snyder's book sales.  I tried to find the new graphic edition of On Tyranny and its sold out everyone I tried.  And, its sold out on the Barnes and Nobles website too - they can't ship until next week. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Is it bad I felt nostalgia at the mention of the pee tape? 

In more somber news, that was a genuinely great tribute to Colin Powell by Rachel and Michael. Eff all of the people who aren’t getting vaccinated, leaving people with compromised immune systems vulnerable. 

• Love 5

Oh, Steve Kornacki -- it was so disarming for him to stand three inches from a plain white door as a backdrop, rather than a designer kitchen or wood-paneled library.  I hope it was his own door.  Sometimes I think he has a cot at MSNBC and can't get away.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Thank you, Rachel, for the only sensible take on the election results in all of media.  Seriously, WTF is up with the rest of media — including The Times, WaPo & pretty much every moron on CNN & MSNBC (except maybe LOD)?  While they were pushing the same stupid narrative that the Dems should now be panicked cuz of last nite’s results, Rach wasn’t buying it.  Yay, Rach!!  What are we gonna do when her show goes bye-bye?  I shudder to think of it . . .

• Love 8

The secret Rachel gave away on her show was not that she had hidden a bottle of rye in her desk for Steve Kornacki, but that she has a desk with a secret compartment!  

After she explained to Steve how to find the secret panel, I had an image in my head of him futilely scratching at the desk until she got back to the office.  

But it was a sweet moment.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 11/3/2021 at 10:26 PM, ScoobieDoobs said:

While they were pushing the same stupid narrative that the Dems should now be panicked cuz of last nite’s results, Rach wasn’t buying it.  Yay, Rach!!  What are we gonna do when her show goes bye-bye?

I'm so glad she called them out. 

• Love 7

Oh my, huge news on the Rachel Maddow Show — and I mean really, really, really HUGE NEWS!!!  Rach is NOT wearing plain black — she’s wearing a pin-stripe black blazer!  What the what???  I’m spending the whole hour (and beyond) rubbing my eyes in disbelief!!  Can it be?  Why, Rach, why? 😀😀😀

• LOL 10
On 11/9/2021 at 6:50 PM, ScoobieDoobs said:

Oh my, huge news on the Rachel Maddow Show — and I mean really, really, really HUGE NEWS!!!  Rach is NOT wearing plain black — she’s wearing a pin-stripe black blazer!  What the what???  I’m spending the whole hour (and beyond) rubbing my eyes in disbelief!!  Can it be?  Why, Rach, why? 😀😀😀

I agree with all that's been said about the stellar reporting by Rachel. But speaking of her clothes, I have to say that I don't like seeing her in pure black every single night. I know she  shows up in a t shirt and jeans, and just puts a black blazer on, but it wouldn't kill her to wear a tiny bit of color. No one but her wears the exact same thing every night.

16 hours ago, susannah said:

No one but her wears the exact same thing every night.

There was that Australian news anchor who wore the same suit every night for a year and no one noticed or said a thing about it. He did it to prove the point that women get criticized for their appearance and what they wear, but men don’t.

Rachel’s same outfit doesn’t bother me. The news is different every night and that’s what I’m there for. (In fact, the only thing that bothered me was when HUGE fake eyelashes were in and for some reason they stuck them on her. Like, why? She’s not the usual “tv glam” newsreader and they weren’t her look at all.)

• Love 10