Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2021 Season

• Start Topic

Wow, the story of Rumsfeld buying the Misery Mansion, where slaves, like Frederick Douglas, were sent to "be broken".  yeah, can totally believe Rumsfeld didn't mind living in place of such misery and oppression.  I'm glad Rachel pointed out all the lies he told, especially during GWB's administration.  

• Love 13

I am so glad Rachel spent so much time pointing out exactly who Rumsfeld was. I was afraid all with all the other big news yesterday,  it might get lost in the shuffle and it wouldn’t be covered. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Oh, my God! So much focus on the organization! I thought Rachel would be on top of the Supreme Court's decision on Voting Rights! She didn't cover that until near the end of the segment. What the heck, Rachel? Too much focus on that! And the Mary Trump thing was a waste of time. Nothing against Mary, but what she said was no different to what she said on other interviews. Just same ol', same ol'!

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 1

Gotta gently disagree with all of you above.  I really liked the coverage last night and that she spent the whole hour basically on one topic.  Didn't like so much her reading, once again, irrelevant minutiae from the court transcript.  But I appreciated Mary Trump's insight that she thinks, based on what she knows about their relationship, that her cousins would flip on their father before Allen Weisselberg would.  My only wish is that Rachel had brought on someone from the legal dream team (Chuck, Barb or Joyce) instead of someone I didn't recognize.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

My only wish is that Rachel had brought on someone from the legal dream team (Chuck, Barb or Joyce) instead of someone I didn't recognize.

I keep seeing them on other MSNBC shows -- I wonder why they are on Rachel's show so infrequently (if at all -- have not seen Barb there since the election). Rachel trained me to rely on their insights about these major and intricate legal issues.  

• Love 1

Hey, Ali Velshi is on now (in Chris Hayes's time slot) but with all the Rachel branding and graphics, and my online guide also shows Rachel in her usual time slot. I am confused.

And taking the Friday before a long weekend off is great.  I just wish Ali hadn't come on saying this would be a 2 hour version of The Rachel Maddow Show... without Rachel.  I love Ali, and 2 hours of Ali is great, but don't try to tell me it's TRMS.  It's okay to pre-empt your regularly scheduled shows for a holiday.  Really. 

Also, when does Ali sleep?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

And taking the Friday before a long weekend off is great.  I just wish Ali hadn't come on saying this would be a 2 hour version of The Rachel Maddow Show... without Rachel.  I love Ali, and 2 hours of Ali is great, but don't try to tell me it's TRMS.  It's okay to pre-empt your regularly scheduled shows for a holiday.  Really. 

I further wish -- as many of us here have whinged about before -- that the hosts/anchors would just tell us if they were taking time off. I am pretty sure Rachel said last night that she would see us tonight, and...not so much. I wish the trust level were different than it seems to be. Seth Meyers had no problem saying he would be off for two weeks and my world didn't fall apart. I think we can handle it.

15 hours ago, FoundTime said:

Seth Meyers had no problem saying he would be off for two weeks and my world didn't fall apart.

Speak for yourself 😉

Seriously, I do get annoyed at the MSNBC bait and switch. Even last night, Ali said he had a segment with Rachel coming up, and they opened the next segment with a short quote from the night before. Then he promised again a whole special story from Rachel, and it was just a straight-up rerun of the fake James Madison High School punking of the NRA guys. It was a great story, but just say, “One of Rachel’s stories this year turned out to be a favorite of yours as well as ours. Stay tuned to see which one.”

• Love 9

They clearly know that Rachel gets the highest ratings, and her show's viewership probably dives whenever there's someone else hosting, but it's still obnoxious. I felt bad for Ali, because I imagine TPTB are mandating the fake out, and he knows that means he's not as popular as she is and isn't even allowed the dignity of just doing his job without the fakery, despite him working non-stop, taking risks to live report while being tear gassed and shot with police-launched projectiles last summer, and generally being a decent dude.

• Love 9

The only reason republicans are primarying their incumbents is because they have no fear of losing the general election.  They don’t fear the Dems running a candidate that has a chance of winning the general in states like Oklahoma.  It’s autocracy in those states.

• Love 2

Tonight’s news was a back and forth whiplash. First, the horrible news that Texas is again coming down like a ton of bricks on someone who didn’t realize he wasn’t eligible to vote. Then the fantastic news that MI Republicans thoroughly debunked the big lie, the grifters are being investigated, and more lawyers are on the path to disbarment. Then the absolutely wrenching news that there are soulless monsters in DHS and the State Department (wtf?!) who are slow-walking getting the Afghan interpreters out safely to Guam. How much Ugh! and Yay! can I contain in an hour?

• Love 10

On a much less serious note, was there some subtext that I was not getting in the handoff?  It seemed like there was some rumor about Rachel having a fun or busy weekend that the LOD replacement seemed intent on needling her about.  Rachel was clearly trying to sidestep the question ("reading transcripts", "definitely NOT fishing").  Was it just a clumsy way to call attention to the soccer match?

• Love 1

Rachel seemed a little time-zone challenged on Olympics Eve -- amazed that there would be coverage at 7:00 AM, but also saying that meant that the nighttime shows would go from her repeat right to the Olympics (I think Ali was agreeing)  But that is not how night time works, because there are still hours between 5:00 AM and 7:00 AM.  And sure enough, "Way too Early" came on at its regular time of 5:00 ET/2:00 PT.  But Rachel will never know as she is asleep.

A lot of the China Olympics was in real time, also, in 2008, so with big meets in the middle of the night (Phelps!).  

I went back to the video of the Friday July 23 show, and Rachel said at the conclusion:  "I'll see you on Monday."  Not "We'll be back on Monday."  But here's Ali! 

TRMS is the worst when it comes to communicating Rachel's schedule.  I usually miss the first couple of minutes so I don't know if they said anything this time around. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Is Rachel off for the next two weeks then? Is it because of the Olympics?

25 minutes ago, tessaray said:

TRMS is the worst when it comes to communicating Rachel's schedule.  I usually miss the first couple of minutes so I don't know if they said anything this time around. 

It would be nice if MSNBC would tell the viewers when she will be back.  I'd also like to know when Brian Williams will be back.  I watch for them, not Ali or what's-her-name (although they're both really good)!!!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Is Rachel off for the next two weeks then? Is it because of the Olympics?

I can't imagine it is because of the Olympics -- MSNBC is still being MSNBC with all its programming, with the bonus that the September 6 hearings have begun.  Plenty of actual news that matters.  

• Love 1

A lot of the regulars have been taking vacations lately. I think it's just regularly scheduled time off. Rachel seems to take less time off air than most, I think, so we get used to seeing her, but I don't think it's actually that unusual for people to take a week or two off now and then.

• Love 4

It's not that unusual for hosts to take time off; it's the way Rachel especially just disappears without any announcement that makes it feel like a bait and switch. 

• Love 1

I thought I heard Ali say when talking about Col. Vindman being on the show Monday that "I'm looking forward to that" (paraphrased).  I wondered if Ali was looking forward to watching, or if Rachel would still be off and Ali would actually be talking to him. 

It's B - just to let you all know. 

• Useful 3

I got the sense from Ali's signoff (on Rachel's show on Friday) that he planned to be back on the show on Monday.  I have to say that I also am looking forward to hearing anything Col. Vindman wants to tell me.

I applaud Rachel for taking vacation time.  We are all the better for her coming back refreshed.  I only object to the idea it needs to be a secret in advance and while it is happening!  

• Love 7

Ratings, it's all about the ratings. Rachel is the most popular host they have, so when she's away I'm sure the ratings for her show drop. So they don't want us to know, hoping we'll tune in and then just stick around anyway, and fearing that if we know she's not going to be there, we'll also go on vacation.

Rachel is also the only MSNBC host I watch who does those "we have something really special coming but I'm not gonna tell you what it is so stay tuned!" stuff. The others just tell you what it is, trusting that you'll actually be interested.

I actually really like Ali, and his show is too early in the morning on the weekends, so I like seeing him in the evenings sometimes. 

I like Rachel, too, and no one really does the kind of show she does when she's around-- with the dramatic readings, the very long and historically contextualized reports, and the lack of multiple guest panels. I honestly don't know if her popularity is about her, or if it's about the kind of substance and style of show she offers. Maybe if the other hosts did the same, they'd be as popular as she is.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

tbh I didn't care much for Rachel when she first started subbing for Keith Olbermann on Countdown but her quirky nerdiness grew on me.  Ditto for Chris Hayes when he first started subbing, I wasn't a fan but his nerdiness grew on me too.

I think my problem with the current group of guest hosts is that most of them have their own shows - shows that I don't watch and that I don't care about. No offense intended. The usuals are all fine people and capable hosts. But I want passion and individuality at 8:00.  

• Love 1
On 7/29/2021 at 10:42 PM, ruby24 said:

I'm guessing her vacation time will conveniently correspond with the Olympics, despite this supposedly having nothing to do with it.

Is Fishing and Olympic Sports now? 😂

I was hoping Rachel would be back tonight. Guess she took 2 weeks off 

• LOL 1

Did anyone else find it odd that the "My Pillow Guy" was advertising on Rachel's show? I know she probably has little control over the advertisers, but I found it very jarring to see him during the commercial break.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

At least Nicolle Wallace recognized our collective dismay at not seeing Rachel in the chair, "Rachel is still on vacation, I know, I know, but we'll get through this."  

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Rachel will be back on Monday.

That was quite quite a little tantrum that preceded the announcement of "Rachel will be back on Monday"!  I could not take the time to watch it, but it sounded like it could have been edited a bit and still made the point.

Yup, Rach was back, & to me, she spent way, way, way too much time on the Trump/Justice-Dept./Pushing-the-big-lie crapola that we all know, despite everyone on CNN & MSNBC & NY Times & WaPo screaming about it, is gonna go absolutely nowhere.

I’m hoping she’s gonna spotlight the lunacy of what’s going on with the despicable govs of TX & FL & their states’ skyrocketing Covid #’s.

And speaking of govs, I’m really curious what she thinks of Cuomo.  While everyone else in media has been screeching their guts out over it, she’s mostly avoided the subject of Cuomo almost completely.  Will she continue to avoid it & if so, why?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Will she continue to avoid it & if so, why?

Because it's not that big a deal. There are many politicians out there who have misbehaved but aren't hung out to dry in the media like Cuomo is. Trump's ugly behaviour was mostly ignored by the press (and Rachel).

• Love 7
6 hours ago, shok said:

Because it's not that big a deal. There are many politicians out there who have misbehaved but aren't hung out to dry in the media like Cuomo is. Trump's ugly behaviour was mostly ignored by the press (and Rachel).

I trust Rachel’s instincts on what stories she follows.  While the rest piled on Cuomo, I admired that she focused on more important national & international stories, and Covid & climate change.

And now that Cuomo will soon be gone, that’s mostly the end of his story.  And so it was mostly a waste of time to pile on him & Rach (as usual) was right to just avoid it & focus elsewhere.

• Love 4

It's much more important to cover the revelations that Trump tried to force the DOJ to help him overturn the election, and the testimony of Rosen.  It's a huge smoking gun that should be playing non-stop in the media.  Everyone was already covering Cuomo non-stop, and Rachel doesn't like to do sex scandal stories anyway.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

It's much more important to cover the revelations that Trump tried to force the DOJ to help him overturn the election, and the testimony of Rosen.  It's a huge smoking gun that should be playing non-stop in the media.  Everyone was already covering Cuoma, and Rachel doesn't like to do sex scandal stories anyway.

Yes, her coverage of this story is absolutely essential.  Will she have much (or any) influence over Garland?  Who knows?  But it’s worth the effort for her to try!  What I have no doubt of is this White House is listening to her, given that Ron Klain has been a frequent guest in the past.

I was just disappointed last nite that she didn’t get to more coverage of those awful govs in FL & TX, but I’m sure she’ll get to it . . .

• Love 2

I couldn't even get through last night's show. I felt like she was just repeating things that I already knew. I also got tired of hearing how surprised she was that the world is a mess, like she really thought it would all go away in 2 weeks? 

• Love 1

Rachel was back in form tonight. I really appreciated her running through the list of "men behaving terribly who resigned or were forced out of office". I had forgotten how many there are! It was also helpful to be reminded about how many cases the NYS AGs have brought. I've been frustrated by the number of indictments that have not happened, but I had forgotten how much has in fact happened already. It's just that there's so much, it's like we'll never get dug out from under even half of it. 

• Love 7

Soooo.... according to an article on the front page of Primetimer... Rach is considering leaving MSNBC (not necessarily for another network, but to do something other than hosting a daily M-F show).  Although I would miss her show terribly... it really sounds like she needs a break.  For her own health and sanity, if she decides to go, I will miss her but will be glad that she knows when to walk away if she needs to do so.   

52 minutes ago, Xena said:

Soooo.... according to an article on the front page of Primetimer... Rach is considering leaving MSNBC (not necessarily for another network, but to do something other than hosting a daily M-F show).  Although I would miss her show terribly... it really sounds like she needs a break.  For her own health and sanity, if she decides to go, I will miss her but will be glad that she knows when to walk away if she needs to do so.   

ITA, sounds like she needs a break, certainly understandable, what with Susan being sick with Covid, and the turmoil of the Trump years.  But, I would miss her smart analysis, her coverage of stories no-one else was doing(Flint water crises), I hope MSNBC could keep her on-board for some kind of role, maybe doing Specials or covering Election nights.  I am feeling Sad.

• Love 10

No one else is doing what she does. I hope they actually prioritize hiring someone who will, instead of just slotting in another show following the same format of the rest of the line up, with speculation and panels of people adding their 2c rather than researching issues and interviewing experts and actually digging past the headlines.

• Love 10