Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: TRMS 2021 Season

• Start Topic

Rachel:  “The Biden administration has inherited the live tendrils of this animal” (the many squishy, corrupt chambers of the T**** Department of Justice).  Great, nightmares forthcoming.   

And her “A” block is the longest ever, 37 minutes.  

I am very glad she punctuated this episode in the affirmative:  “Justice after Trump.”  Not with a question mark, which would have changed it entirely.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2

Wanted to weigh in from balmy Houston, Texas (hey, it's 47 degrees today) to express my appreciation for Rachel's (and all of MSNBC's, really) coverage of our frozen state. I was especially gratified to see our county executive, Lina Hidalgo, on last night's show. She is a force to be reckoned with and has a great personal story, having come here as a child from Colombia, with her parents. She's 29 years old and has exhibited more leadership and compassion in the two years since she was elected, through any number of local crises, not to mention the pandemic and now this, than all our state-level officials put together. (Shoutout too to our excellent mayor, Sylvester Turner, who appeared on Chris Hayes' show last night, another leader who knows how to lead.)

Personally, I lost power sometime before 6:30 a.m. February 15 and got it back at 10:26 a.m. February 17. My indoor temperature got to 42 degrees. I was able to boil a few batches of water on the 17th but am using the last of that today and haven't had running water since the 18th.  I've been filling a pail with water from the apartment complex swimming pool for flushing purposes. We are under a boil-water advisory until at least Monday the 22nd to protect against possible bacterial growth due to low water pressure, but like many, I have no water to boil! We've had two deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning, ten from hypothermia, and who knows how many people with broken water pipes in their homes to add to the misery. It's hard to believe this is life in the fourth largest city in the country, in the third millennium.

Rachel and the MSNBC team are doing excellent reporting on this situation and calling to account all of the many negligent persons and systems. This Houstonian is grateful.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, FoundTime said:

This Houstonian is grateful.

Came here to say “Rachel will be back on Monday,” but I’m glad things are going better for you in Houston right now.  It’s a phenomenal disaster, and I’m glad the coverage is some comfort.  But hoping you have safe running water very soon.  Take care. 

• Love 5

Water is back for me, though we're still under a boil order until the results of our city tests come back from the state (expected late Sunday). Had my first hot food and drink since last Sunday and am looking forward to washing my hair within the hour. MSNBC appears to still be pursuing how everything went wrong and how to fix it and I remain appreciative of them continuing to do their job ☺ 

• Love 11

Rachel on Monday:  "How can we thank the health care workers for doing the unimaginable for this past year?  Somehow, we have to figure this out."

Seriously, wear a mask (wear two if you can), stay away from other people, take every precaution possible for a few more months.  But I see people thinking they are being distanced in restaurants by being in a room only 25% full.  

A friend just lost both parents to the virus within two days of each other over the weekend.  They had isolated for months, went out for a distanced meal six weeks ago, spent their final two weeks on ventilators.  Half a million deaths happen one at a time.  (No need to be sorry for me; I did not know them, but it is awful to watch the shock that this could happen.)  

• Love 4

Today was a really weird day for cable news.  From this afternoon forward (for what seemed like hours & hours & hours, with no end) CNN, MSNBC & yes, even Fox, was covering Tiger non-stop.  I mean, seriously, what the fuck was with this?  With all the important news & the Senate hearing that happened in the morning, these news outlets felt they had to ONLY cover Tiger's non-life-threatening car accident non-stop for 6 hours?  I sure as hell don't get it, but I just shut off all cable news until Rach was on -- and sure enough, she never mentioned Tiger once (that I saw) & she covered the Senate hearings as they needed to be.  YAY, Rach!

I agree with Rachel's Neera Tanden defense & her being supremely incensed & angered at the double standards displayed by Congress to a lowlife, despicable character like Ric Grenell.  And yet, Neera has really put herself in this hot-seat, so I'm not as upset about her nomination cratering as Rach is.  But the hypocrisy involved is annoying & I like to see Rach pointing it out & highlighting what a shithead Grenell is.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 12

Today was a really weird day for cable news.  From this afternoon forward (for what seemed like hours & hours & hours, with no end) CNN, MSNBC & yes, even Fox, was covering Tiger non-stop.  I mean, seriously, what the fuck was with this?  With all the important news & the Senate hearing that happened in the morning, these news outlets felt they had to ONLY cover Tiger's non-life-threatening car accident non-stop for 6 hours?

Word to this.  I turned the TV on in the middle of the police news conference and everyone was speaking Spanish and I thought "What the hell?"  And the chyron at the bottom only said "Woods" and it took me a while to figure out they were talking about Tiger Woods.  

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

But the hypocrisy involved is annoying & I like to see Rach pointing it out & highlighting what a shithead Grenell is.

Grenell seems to be the go-to guy for every news organization and every columnist who wants to point out the absurdity of suddenly being offended by Neera Tanden's mean tweets.  Just about every article and every story I've encountered on this issue brings up Grenell and Manchin's willingness to vote for him.

10 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Is Neera Tanden one of Bill Maher's favorite guest on his show? I predict once this is over, he'll definitely invite her on the show. That's how I recognized her.

I recognize her because she's got the most irritating, nasal voice on television.  A lot of times I would tune out rather than hear that voice.  Maybe that's the real reason some Senators don't want to deal with her.  🙂 

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 4

Well, Grenell is an idiot & he usually made dumb & shallow comments.  Neera is a very smart woman & her comments were always sharp, on target & very cutting.  Her comments clearly must have stung pretty hard, anyone who she directed them to.  Did anyone catch the dirty looks Bernie couldn’t stop throwing her way?  

Grenell’s moronic comments are easy to dismiss, but Neera’s always caustic comments?  Not so much.  Could it be there are many more Repub snowflakes than they care to admit?  Ya think?  Anyhoo, like I said, while I agree with Rachel’s annoyance about what’s going on with Neera’s nom, I don’t share her anger over it.

Look, if you’re gonna show up on MSNBC all day, all the time (as well as Maher), constantly saying & tweeting caustic comments, you’re gonna make enemies.  She was a bad choice to be up for a position that needed to approved.  Why not just put her in a position he can merely appoint?  Not worth your anger, Rach — it’ll be more effective focused elsewhere.

• Love 4

As a decided non-liberal, I have to say I don't like it much when Rachel overtly pushes a political agenda.  I like her much better when she presents the facts and lets them speak for themselves.  And as a decided non-45 fan who's hung on Rachel's every word about his legal and financial troubles, I am puzzled that she spent zero time talking about the tax case in Manhattan, which was a really, really big story today.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

As a decided non-liberal, I have to say I don't like it much when Rachel overtly pushes a political agenda.  I like her much better when she presents the facts and lets them speak for themselves.  And as a decided non-45 fan who's hung on Rachel's every word about his legal and financial troubles, I am puzzled that she spent zero time talking about the tax case in Manhattan, which was a really, really big story today.

Her choices of topics are leaving me disappointed.  She spent what?  Like hours going on about Neera (OK, slight exaggeration, but maybe it feels that way to me) & nothing about USPS & that stinkin' DeJoy -- all while I & most of my friends, neighbors, family & co-workers have experienced horrible postage delays and/or outright loss.  C'mon, Rach, why is it you go nuts for a story & then just completely forget about it?  The Neera story is dead, move on from it, Rach.  She'll be fine in a position Biden can appoint her to,

And btw, Rach, Jennifer Granholm easily sailed to a bipartisan approval -- and yet Neera is having so much trouble.  Maybe cuz Jennifer hasn't insulted people the way Neera constantly has?  Ya think? 

So Hayes had a terrific interview with Jennifer Granholm & LOD had some great discussion & interviews pertaining to the Trump taxes.  So what, you might say -- but if the shows before Rach & after Rach are better than Rachel's show, I feel like something has gone really wrong -- are worlds colliding?

• Love 3

I did not hear the magic words I like to hear at the beginning or end of Ali's visits:  "Rachel will be back on Monday."  I think she has been on most weeks, so heaven knows she deserves and needs a week o' fishin'.  

(edited)

Rachel can use the dancing Sikh at least once a night, as far as I am concerned.  

Amd Dolly Parton’s cutout dress and adapted song lyrics were delightful. 

Then David Kessler appeared, whom I respect so much, yet seems to have the weight of the world on him.  It’s amazing how he can intone “It’s a pleasure to be here,” and it sounds like “I’m so sorry for your loss.” 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 12

Oh man, I yelled out such a loud WOO HOO when Rach said her show had the highest ratings of ANY show on cable for Feb. that my neighbor texted me to ask if I was OK.  YAY, Rach!!!

She seems to finally be over Neera.  And at least she never mentioned Cuomo once, while the rest of MSNBC is endlessly piling on him.  Why is it dumb Dems are so quick to take each other down without thinking about the consequences?  Anyway, Rach rightly focused on much more important happenings, such as the Senate hearing with Wray & what's going with the Justice Dept.  Good move, Rach.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Oh man, I yelled out such a loud WOO HOO when Rach said her show had the highest ratings of ANY show on cable for Feb. that my neighbor texted me to ask if I was OK.  YAY, Rach!!!

She seems to finally be over Neera.  And at least she never mentioned Cuomo once, while the rest of MSNBC is endlessly piling on him.  Why is it dumb Dems are so quick to take each other down without thinking about the consequences?  Anyway, Rach rightly focused on much more important happenings, such as the Senate hearing with Wray & what's going with the Justice Dept.  Good move, Rach.

I don’t think she’s over Neera, and I think she’s wildly off the mark if she thinks Joe Manchin’s embarrassed by his decision.  But Joe B. has already said he’ll just find Neera another job that doesn’t require Senate confirmation, and there’s nothing to be gained by beating the dead horse (as opposed to sitting on one, I guess).

Dolly Parton is a goddamn national treasure.  I wish she’d had a little less work done, because she’s beautiful inside and out, without any need for enhancements.  

• Love 7
6 hours ago, freddi said:

Rachel can use the dancing Sikh at least once a night, as far as I am concerned. 

Pissed me off mightily to see that. I don't know where he was in Canada to cut to the front of the line for a vaccine but to see a young seemingly healthy guy celebrate like that made me ill. I'm in an age group and have physical conditions that should put me at the top of most lists and we're still waiting to find out how and where to even register to get on a waiting list.  😡

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, shok said:

Pissed me off mightily to see that. I don't know where he was in Canada to cut to the front of the line for a vaccine but to see a young seemingly healthy guy celebrate like that made me ill. I'm in an age group and have physical conditions that should put me at the top of most lists and we're still waiting to find out how and where to even register to get on a waiting list.  😡

It's always possible he had a underlying medical condition that wasn't obvious.  Asthma, immunodeficiency, diabetes...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, shok said:

At least now that the vaccine is being pushed at lightning speed, vaccine envy should start to abate.  For months we heard that everyone over 60 was high risk but now, at age 63, I’m no longer a priority.  And insult to injury, can’t get hired as an RN so don’t qualify as a health care worker.  My daughter has multiple health issues including a genetic immune disorder and she can’t yet get a vaccine, either.  

And somehow I found myself wondering if Rachel, as a VIP, has had the vaccine.  Please, President Joe, be right that we can all get our shots by summer.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I don’t think she’s over Neera, and I think she’s wildly off the mark if she thinks Joe Manchin’s embarrassed by his decision.  But Joe B. has already said he’ll just find Neera another job that doesn’t require Senate confirmation, and there’s nothing to be gained by beating the dead horse (as opposed to sitting on one, I guess).

Dolly Parton is a goddamn national treasure.  I wish she’d had a little less work done, because she’s beautiful inside and out, without any need for enhancements.  

I think Neera was a terrible choice for Office of Management and Budget. So for her stepping down was the right thing to do. It was doomed from the start. Nothing against her, but she was not my ideal candidate for that job.

• Love 2

Oh man! Rachel showing Gurdeep Pandher doing the Bhangra was JUST what I needed to see and damned if I didn't start doing the Bhangra at home myself!

Every Indian wedding, Sikh or non-Sikh, will have songs so we can do some Bhangra! Daler Mehndi has the best songs!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

The Elaine Chao thing was not a surprise, given to who she is connected to. I did read about it, but I knew that given the connections she has, it would be a moot case to do anything to her.

Robert:  I missed the segment.  My understanding is that:
Ms. Chao was born in China,  and immigrated to the US when she was 8 years old.
Graduated from Mt Holyoke and Harvard Business School. 
She held senior positions in the Reagan and Bush I administrations
She also had positions in the Peace Corps and United Way
She was the Secy of Labor for all 8 years of the Bush II administration
She was also the Secy of Transportation in the Trump admin.

My gosh...that is one heck of a resume!

But, the Transportation Dept IG found cases where she used her position to promote her father's shipping  business.
This is a Chinese state-owned shipping business, reportedly with significant work done for the Chinese Navy. 
Also, the IG investigation indicated that, during her tenure, her Dept of Transportation tried to cut funding and loans to American shipping companies (which would benefit her father's shipping business). 

There were other reports.  But, in 2020, the Inspector General was removed from office. 

• Love 2
On 3/2/2021 at 9:02 PM, freddi said:

Amd Dolly Parton’s cutout dress and adapted sing lyrics were delightful. 

Then David Kessler appeared, whom I respect so much, yet seems to have the weight of the world on him.  It’s amazing how he can intone “It’s a pleasure to be here,” and it sounds like “I’m so sorry for your loss.” 

Re David Kessler, he makes me wonder if his dog died about 5 minutes before he came on the air.  He seems just that melancholy.  

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Re David Kessler, he makes me wonder if his dog died about 5 minutes before he came on the air.  He seems just that melancholy.  

Yup, every time.  He really is an extraordinary physician and public servant, but I just feel so bad for him (and his dog?) every time I see him on Rachel's show.  On the other hand, he might not have the reserves or inclination anymore to dredge up the veneer of concerned sociability that most of the other M.D.s manage to display on the news programs.  David Kessler shows how we all feel.  

(I have several medical-field friends who have worked with him over the years on federal task forces, who have only the highest praise for him.) 

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Wow: Rachel is getting Deep tonight.  She is telling us to remember things dont last forever & to keep hoping, good things do happen.  I really enjoy when she waxes Philosophical, discussing the Pope's visit to Iraq & the return of the remains of Father Kapuan.  Then in the next segment, she is giddy with excitement over her friend's wedding at a Taco Bell in Las Vegas 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The beginning and end of tonight's broadcast were a little odd.  When Chris Hayes said his usual closing thing and turned it over to Rachel, she paused for a moment, then simply said thanks and went into her first segment.  I wondered if she didn't actually hear him and someone in front of her was giving her a cue - now! - since there wasn't the usual 10 seconds or so of small talk.  Perhaps it was a combination of the delay in sound transmission and Rachel having a lot she wanted to get to.  But then they eliminated the handoff with Ali Velshi entirely, which has been awkward in the past.  

So Rach has totally avoided saying anything about Cuomo, while CNN & the rest of MSNBC has been dumping on him endlessly.  But rather than salaciously covering accusations, as the others so easily did, Rachel took a different point of view.  She said up till now it seemed Cuomo's "fate" would rest with the AG's investigation but now with the latest accuser, the police will be involved -- but she added (and I've seen this reported by nobody else on CNN or MSNBC) that Cuomo insisted on police involvement, not the accuser.  Interesting.

I don't know what went on with Cuomo -- with these accusers or the nursing home stuff, but to take someone down for allegations, I just don't understand.  Seems to me like something only Dems do.  At least Rach is taking the high road on this story, but she seems to be the only one.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That was a really strange way to end the Fauci interview...Fauci seemed flabbergasted by Rachel's question near the end there.

You mean her "come see me if science isn't winning and you feel the need to narc"? She said the same thing to the head of the CDC at the end of her interview. Very weird. I'm getting the impression Rachel doesn't quite believe there's a new administration that is really putting science first. Almost like Rachel has some PTSD going on

I was happy to see how happy she clearly was that the President announced all adults would be eligible for a vaccine starting May 1

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

Almost like Rachel has some PTSD going on

It freaked the H. E. double toothpicks out of her when the CDC guidelines for meatpacking plants got watered down. (Rightly so—that level of political interference in public health is unprecedented, at least in my lifetime.) So I think it’s a combination: making sure doctors/scientists know they have a place to come if they need to blow the whistle, and showing the audience that she’s not going to play favorites based on R or D. Her show will always work to get the true science news out, no matter which administration puts it out.

• Love 11

Poor Rachel—her “please sir may I have another?” was great, but I kept going “Really?  Dan Ackroyd was in Animal House?”  And apparently someone on her staff caught that, also.  But she does the best apologies.  I think she really is sorry...

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Congrats to Rachel, who apparently won a Grammy last night for her book recording! I wonder if she will mention it, or if Chris Hayes or Lawrence will. I don’t watch the Grammies but somebody posted it on the Fans of Rachel Maddox website. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Congrats to Rachel, who apparently won a Grammy last night for her book recording! I wonder if she will mention it, or if Chris Hayes or Lawrence will. I don’t watch the Grammies but somebody posted it on the Fans of Rachel Maddox website. 

Lawrence asked her during the hand-over if she had the Grammy with her in the Studio & Rachel said "No", and that she heard about her win while driving down the highway with Susan heading to a brewery.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Lawrence asked her during the hand-over if she had the Grammy with her in the Studio & Rachel said "No", and that she heard about her win while driving down the highway with Susan heading to a brewery.

That was fun.  But then Lawrence tried to tell her who else was in her category (Rachel would not have known this for months?) and her link to Lawrence stopped working.  He just should have moved on, but acted it out as though Rachel were still sitting there.  I have to say that someone turned off her camera shot really quickly!  

• Love 1

Wow, her segment on Russian interference in the 2020 election tonight was like a John le Carré story on fast forward.  Now we see that cast of characters called back for an actual investigation.

I am so sorry for the tragic events in Atlanta, and thank Rachel for taking the time to recognize that terrible loss of life. 

• Love 3

I love this "I HAVE HAD IT!!!!" Rachel, with the excoriation of Manchin last night and Cornyn tonight.  Keep it up!  I have no illusions about the decency or integrity of any politician, particularly a United States Senator (usually known for huge egos and tiny IQs), but they too often are allowed to get away with blatant hypocrisy.  I love that Rachel holds nothing back to point it out on both sides of the aisle.  

• Love 9