Type keyword(s) to search

Life Below Zero: The Next Generation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guess I have watched too many Alaska shows.  This new bunch is already annoying me:  1)The former soldier with PTSD who hunts beaver with a pistol and says he is a nomad. 2) The former "Port Protection" TV couple trying to dig a well by hand 3) The chef from Chicago shooting a caribou by firing until he runs out of ammo and then goes to see if he killed anything 4) The young parents.

It might be OK if they didn't use that "fill the freezer" to survive line.  Hello..the FREEZER?

• LOL 3

Something went awry when he was struggling to get his snow thingy (going blank on what you call them) that he was towing the wood with out of the muddy area it got stuck in. I replayed it several times but couldn't get a handle on exactly how it happened. Somehow his leg was cut by his axe. For all the carrying on he did while he was being carried back to the cabin I thought for sure he'd be having an amputation or at the very least a long hospital stay. Now I do realize he was scared out of his undies but it just struck me as odd the particular talking and rambling on that he was doing to himself. On the other hand, had it been me I might have been going on even worse than he was. As it turned out 12 hours later he was stitched up and helicoptered back to their cabin. 

I don't why it annoys me that they rarely call each other by name but instead call each other "love".  I should be happy for them they care so much about each other to use that endearing term. 

• Love 1

Sooo, last evening we got to see his 7 stitches. The prior week, the week he got cut as he was laying there calling for help he was simpering about being flayed (his word) wide open down to the bone. Also last week after returning to his cabin from the hospital he said something about leaves and twigs still coming out of his wound. I don't know how that happens when you've been to the hospital, no doubt had your cut cleaned out and been stitched up. And I am bringing up again that as they were carrying him back to his cabin for helicopter pickup I thought for sure he'd come close to severing his leg off the way he was going on. No doubt he was scared and in pain but c'mon. Such dramatic yammering the whole walk back. I feel for him because he seems like a nice person and he wants this lifestyle so bad but I fear he's going get himself or her or both of them seriously injured or worse. And I guess I'm talking to myself here, no one else coming around to discuss the show. Oh well.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Nope, you're not talking to yourself.  I was busy with basketball & tennis last night, but will watch & report tonight.

Thank you for responding Medicine Crow. You & I must be the only 2 people who care to watch. These young folks are actually starting to grow on me and I'm enjoying the show. So far I haven't fast forwarded any of their segments like I do with the Hailstones for example. I know they're bringing their kids into the show so it won't seem like the same old same old but it still seems like the same old same old. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I don't like this cast too much but watched last night to stay up for Northern Territories that followed. Northern Ontario is as beautiful as Alaska. The cast is good too. Ay!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

So, I watched the show & here's what I think.  Anyone that refers to "the bush" as "the woods" doesn't "get it".  The Rowlands are on a little adventure in "the woods" & she is using it as a tool to teach her children, when she doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground.  Chris & Jessi are in it for the attention & hanging around a bear's den is never a good idea!!  (He sure is a fast healer ... that wound didn't look as bad as I thought it would be!!)  I'm okay with Rolfe, Manzo & Javor who all seem to be following the "pattern", e.g. building something, etc.  I don't hate the show & will watch it, skipping through the Rowlands & "the Love's".  I like watching people build stuff, so ...

• Like 1

Yeah, Chris and Jesse must have answered a casting call or something. She thought it would be cool to dress up in an arrow quiver strap with some arrows and he is a cross between Rambo and Steve-O. They both seem like they want to be on TV but don't know much about anything. She wouldn't even jump down a bank to give him a stick to retrieve the dinner with? Really? And the mom with the kids - don't know their names yet - but it's just not making me look forward to the next romper room episode. I'd rather watch reruns of Andy, Glenn, and Sue.

• Love 1

I loved the Last Alaskans. That is and has always been the show about Alaska and truly living in the wild. Now the show with the next generation is really pretty bad. They don't know what they're doing or they are boring or they are just plain weird. But anyhow the episode when the gentleman got his leg cut was over the top. He acted like he was dying and in terrible pain. Ended up being 7 stitches. My husband would have driven himself to the ER for stitches without a single complaint of pain so I have to laugh at this guy or should we call him a girl. Then the guy and his wife go looking for a bear and find it's den and he basically puts himself in harms way for no reason. What an idiot! I have no idea why this guy is in the wilderness other than it is because he is on tv. Then the family supposedly teaching their kids who are very little how to build a shelter and fire. Come on the adults were doing all the work and the kids were playing or bored. That was just done for show. Kids were not old enough. I also hate that they always go to commercial at a critical time. The guy who built the skid sled seems to have a junkyard of stuff he has been collecting for years. He is kind of interesting. The one who will only use manual labor and like no chainsaw is so weird. I don't expect him to last. He will get injured or freeze or tired of not having much food. The last character was putting his floor in last I saw of him and he is pretty good to watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm starting to warm up to the newbies. Except for Mr. I'm Flayed Wide Open.  Who knew that being flayed wide open down to the bone only requires 7 stitches to get you back up and running. But if only I had a dollar for every time I've heard the phrase "out here"....followed by you need to be or you have to be or you must or you can't, or any other follow words that make me feel I'm less than because I couldn't or wouldn't be or don't want to.

Edited by dizzydame
missed a word
  • LOL 1

This new generation is sooo boring... just watching them get firewood, & chopping up firewood...Alex Javor puts me to sleep None of them seem to know how to hunt... Jessi got that beaver & it was like the only time I saw someone get meat finally. The show should be called "Building below Zero". Manzo, Caleb, & the new guy are definitely great at building & construction. But so what... Andy Bassich is twice their age, can build ANYTHING, grow ANYTHING, hunt & fish

• LOL 3

I have to laugh at the idiot "Love" couple. They think they are living at a subsistence level?!?!? She almost had a a breakdown because the mice had eaten parts of their remaining bagels. BAGELS?!? Since when was she making bagels? And HOW could they be so stupid as to know that they have mice and STILL store food in nothing more than a plastic bag?!? If they actually had to live by eating only what they could raise, grow, or hunt/fish, they would have starved to death after a month. Instead, they charter a small plane to pick up their GROCERIES from Fairbanks and fly same to their cabin. THIS IS NOT SUBSISTENCE LIVING!!!!! They would have been better off buying food storage containers and trying to live off what they catch or grow. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I realize nobody is probably going to read this nevertheless I had to pop in to say I've grown quite fond of Alex Javor & Sipsy.  For such a young man he's just so.........well I don't know, just his pronouncements about life in general make him sound like he's lived 100 years and become a wise old man. I would however, like him to wash that filthy green jacket LOL. Actually he's just grubby looking all the way around but there is no one there he needs to impress so what does it matter. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dizzydame said:

I realize nobody is probably going to read this nevertheless I had to pop in to say I've grown quite fond of Alex Javor & Sipsy.  For such a young man he's just so.........well I don't know, just his pronouncements about life in general make him sound like he's lived 100 years and become a wise old man. I would however, like him to wash that filthy green jacket LOL. Actually he's just grubby looking all the way around but there is no one there he needs to impress so what does it matter. 

I only watch this show for him. He is so good to his dog and I like the way he lives his life.

• Love 2
On 2/4/2021 at 6:17 AM, dizzydame said:

Something went awry when he was struggling to get his snow thingy (going blank on what you call them) that he was towing the wood with out of the muddy area it got stuck in. I replayed it several times but couldn't get a handle on exactly how it happened. Somehow his leg was cut by his axe. For all the carrying on he did while he was being carried back to the cabin I thought for sure he'd be having an amputation or at the very least a long hospital stay. Now I do realize he was scared out of his undies but it just struck me as odd the particular talking and rambling on that he was doing to himself. On the other hand, had it been me I might have been going on even worse than he was. As it turned out 12 hours later he was stitched up and helicoptered back to their cabin. 

I don't why it annoys me that they rarely call each other by name but instead call each other "love".  I should be happy for them they care so much about each other to use that endearing term. 

I think the whole thing was fake. After he got out of the hospital, he said that there were still twigs and leaves coming out of his wound. That can't be possible because before they stich you up they clean out the wound like crazy and there is no way that anything is left in there.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2021 at 11:30 AM, dizzydame said:

I've grown quite fond of Alex Javor & Sipsy.  For such a young man he's just so.........well I don't know, just his pronouncements about life in general make him sound like he's lived 100 years and become a wise old man.

I've been lightly binge-watching, and I agree.  He seems like one of the most sincere and contemplative, and he and Sipsy are wonderful companions.  Most of the other cast members have grown on me, as well - except for the Loves (Morses).  I swear that they study past episodes so that they can imitate the others (then they have some mishap).  Their profound declarations and allegories about the Cosna, Alaska in general or the universe are the same concepts that others declared a season or two earlier.  

• Love 1
On 9/14/2021 at 8:14 PM, Moose lover said:

What has happened to Sispy, Alex's dog.  He's not on the latest season.  Alex refers to him as it being a blessing and a curse.  Did he go live with someone else?  Anyone know?

He left him behind with relatives because he was concerned and uncertain about the new harsh environment he was moving to being too much for Sipsy. 

• Love 2

Anyone watching tonight, seriously the Loveies are a joke, they originally appeared on Yukon Men and almost killed themselves via starvation and then while fleeing the wilds by almost freezing to death. They are in it for TV a barely 30 something couple from Fairbanks with little to none experience in the wilds. He talks about the 70s as if he was there and he’s not old enough to know what he’s saying just telling stories his papa told him.

I don’t mean to come across so mean they are there and I’m down here (lower 48) I’ve got about 3 decades on them but common sense would help them. I wish all of them well and I’d give my eye teeth to be a few decades younger so I could go give it a go but without the TV crews following me around. The folks on Last Alaskans would be more my speed more realistic without the drama of reality TV. To go to the wild build cabins hunt, fish and trap live off the land relish in and respect the beauty and harshness of nature

• Love 2

I burst out laughing when Kaleb was explaining a moose's explosive diarrhea to his 4-yr.-old daughter & they were tracking it's "prints" ... LOL.  When they found the moose, he identified it's cause of death as a puncture from another moose it had been fighting.  My theory is that it was attacked because it was sick & dragged itself as far as it could.  I think they took the meat!!!  Gawd!!!

On 9/28/2021 at 9:58 PM, Duwop said:

Anyone watching tonight, seriously the Loveies are a joke, they originally appeared on Yukon Men and almost killed themselves via starvation and then while fleeing the wilds by almost freezing to death. They are in it for TV a barely 30 something couple from Fairbanks with little to none experience in the wilds. He talks about the 70s as if he was there and he’s not old enough to know what he’s saying just telling stories his papa told him.

I don’t mean to come across so mean they are there and I’m down here (lower 48) I’ve got about 3 decades on them but common sense would help them. I wish all of them well and I’d give my eye teeth to be a few decades younger so I could go give it a go but without the TV crews following me around. The folks on Last Alaskans would be more my speed more realistic without the drama of reality TV. To go to the wild build cabins hunt, fish and trap live off the land relish in and respect the beauty and harshness of nature

I'm 100% with you. And then when he cut his leg last season you'd have thought he was going to have to have what was left of it hacked off. 

And every time I hear "on the Cosna" I want to throw my bag of potato chips at the tv. 

• LOL 1

And how old is he? About 120? Or does he just look that way because of the heavy dark rings under his eyes. Not that he can help it, it must be hereditary.  Or it comes from living "out here on the Cosna". (silent scream)

• LOL 1

I've watched almost every Alaskan show and this show is the worse fake thing I've seen. I've heard they make like 4,500 a show but all the things they have cost a lot more than that. Like Chris just went to town and bought a new snow machine. The other couple, the airplane in their huge hangar. The others have lumber, trucks, etc .. this show is plain ridiculous and fake.

Edited by Debree
  • Like 1

.... and, and, and I almost forgot.  I think it was last week some dude with a young girl (long, dark, curly hair) on a snow machine shot a wolf that left a blood trail on the lake snow for what looked like 100 yards (definitely a gut shot) & the girl was afraid to go close to the obviously dead wolf.  Gawd!!!!