Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: The Pork Chop

• Start Topic

The queens discover an explosive surprise -- that they must immediately perform six lip syncs to defend their place in the competition.

First 10 minutes of the episode:

The queens get a surprise announcement:

Original air date: 1/1/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

So, why don't they form a circle and decide that everyone votes out the person on their left. Each person gets one vote, 7 way tie. Come on Ru. For starters, I disagreed with most of the choices for the Pork Chop, so at first I thought the twist was that they would be the ones to stay. When Ru first mentioned it, I thought it would be double stays each time, since they were coming in pairs, and it would be just to mess with their heads. This just seemed mean. If one has to go, it should be Elliott. And it will be interesting to have a trans man on, after several trans women.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Not the best group this show has had. Some of them look really busted up.

I'm so glad it wasn't just me who noticed this!  I actually went back to the "Meet the Queens" to compare looks.  I feel as though Ru should have started the competition from there.  How you look worse in the actual show than in the promo material for the show?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

So, why don't they form a circle and decide that everyone votes out the person on their left. Each person gets one vote, 7 way tie. Come on Ru. For starters, I disagreed with most of the choices for the Pork Chop, so at first I thought the twist was that they would be the ones to stay. When Ru first mentioned it, I thought it would be double stays each time, since they were coming in pairs, and it would be just to mess with their heads. This just seemed mean. If one has to go, it should be Elliott. And it will be interesting to have a trans man on, after several trans women.

I missed the second 20 minutes of the show trying to figure out how to watch it on the CW website, which apparently you couldn't actually watch it on, so I missed a couple of the lip syncs. I think it was kind of cruel to make them sit there and think they're all leaving and then make them have to vote for someone. That should be Ru's job. I do like that they made everyone lip sync, though, now nobody gets to "hide" all season and they all get the opportunity to feel that pressure at least once before the final lip sync.

I am cautiously optimistic about Gottmik, as a trans man myself. I didn't think drag race would ever cast one or might do it once as a novelty with a "filler queen," but Gottmik has some pretty good credentials and hopefully will do well.

Joey Jay's entrance look resembles a girl I know to an uncanny degree.

• Love 5

Woah. That was stressful.

I thought the bulk of the winners were going to be the losers. And I really don't want Elliott out first. There's no-one in the pork chop lounge I could pick to go. Wish it was a double ep. But a good way to imprint the contestants on one's mind clearly in a first ep.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

How you look worse in the actual show than in the promo material for the show?

Well... Promo lighting, camera work, and skilful editing; professional makeup, hair stylists, and stylists; and costumes that fit the theme of the promo provided. It's like wondering why a model looks different on the street as opposed to a still from a ten-hour editorial shoot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I hated the twist.  For one thing it made the premiere episode really repetitive.  I’d rather see the queens getting to know one another and all doing a fun challenge rather than keep seeing 1) two of them acting surprised, then 2) the judges explaining the twist over and over, then 3) having the “ohmigod what is going on” from the queens again and again and again six times.

And then (like one of the queens even said) Ru resorts to one of those super-annoying All-Stars twists where queens eliminate other queens.  I hate that on All-Stars and I hate it even more that it’s drifted over into the main show.

It just gave me the feeling that the producers aren’t confident they’ve got a good mix of queens this time and are trying to hide that with gimmicks.  And it does seem really uneven on first impression.  (That being said, so far Gottmik, Tina, Symone, and Tamisha have my attention at least,  but we’ll see.)

• Love 19
Spoiler

Allegedly, the queen chosen to go home just moves into the other group, so whatever...no elimination until episode 4 has been widely spoiled.

I really didn’t like the episode.  The gag was repeated just too many times, and although it was kind of interesting seeing every queen lip sync, giving more than half of the queens the impression that they did all this prep to get the boot in about 6 minutes was unnecessarily cruel.

I already dislike Kandy Muse, just because she reminds me of Silky.  I adore Gottmik and Symone, and I really liked Tina Burner, who reminds me of Nina West.

Nobody jumps out at me like a Katya or a BenDeLa or a Crystal Methyd, yet.  Let’s hope...

• Love 12

This is the season of filler, and at least Joey is self-aware.

All the former House of Aja queens are a pale imitation of Aja, who never would have won even the weakest season of this show.

Symone and Gottmik are the only two standouts for me, and I fully expect them to make it to the end.

As a Minnesotan, I a) have never heard of Utica, MN and b) really don't want to see another Fargo-accented stereotype represent my state on reality TV. But Utica seems harmless and I suspect will fail horribly at Snatch Game if she makes it that far.

Remember that Bebe and Manila were also based in MN at some point. 

Bring on DRUK season two!

That was an interesting swing.  I don't know whether it was a hit or a miss for me.  I definitely echo bobbyjoe's first two paragraphs.  And while the cast certainly seemed to be reacting genuinely, the big drama ended up feeling low stakes to me.  While they couldn't know whether there were twice as many girls as usual overall, making it feasible that they might all go home once they hit the loading dock, we knew that wasn't happening.  So while they were giving high angst, all I could think was, they're not going to tell us the twist for another hour?  I'd better get some coffee going.

I think it was, ultimately, a bit of a slog, although good on them for trying something new.  I do feel many of the girls have great potential and look forward to watching them over the weeks, and it's nice to have a baseline idea of what they all bring to the table.  Not that I am any expert painter, but is it just me who thinks the now-popular style of makeup with a dot of highlighter at the tip of the nose made Ru look like she had a big ol' zit or something there?  I don't think it's flattering.

Finally, I thought they underplayed COVID.  I have approached it very conservatively in my personal life, and maybe I'm just more neurotic than others, but I'm not incapable of relaxing and enjoying a TV show once it's addressed.  Michelle's joke about being a teller at the Bank of RuPaul with the panels separating the judges was pitched just right for this show, but they didn't really address anything else they were doing at all until a while into Untucked.  Another reality show I enjoyed did a two minute monologue about it at the beginning of their premiere, which worked brilliantly.

Common sense told me that of course the crew probably was masked, the contestants must be getting regular tests, etc.  But I would rather they'd just done a two minute spiel about it all at the beginning, gotten it all out of the way, and then moved ahead.  I'm sure we will hear the queens talking about how it has affected their lives in various ways, so fine.  And probably better to underdo it than to make a big thing of it every other segment like "The Price is Right."  I just would rather they had let us know everything they're doing right at the start so it could stop being the elephant in the room.

PS: after all this time maybe I've finally learned how to read reality edits. As soon as they made such a much out of Olivia being the new girl and Rosé being the old hand who hosted the newcomers' pageant in which Olivia appeared and all that, I thought it was clear that Olivia would win.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4

By the time somebody tests positive, they have been communicable for days.

As someone who usually finds the lipsynch to be the most boring part of the episode, one made up entirely of lipsynchs was pretty dreadful for me. I actually watched the aftershow which took the place of the chatting that normally happens in the course of the challenges. I want the porkchop queens to categorically refuse to vote anyone out and fuck with their 'twist'. Also, one of them was clearly in the promos for upcoming episodes.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Vermicious Knid said:

By the time somebody tests positive, they have been communicable for days.

Good point.  I assume they are in a bubble with each other and quarantined away from contact with others for the duration.  And I understand that even in an ordinary year, the queens' comings and goings are pretty strictly controlled.  Crew will be out in the community, but it seems they remain masked throughout. I could be reasonably confident with all of this, because I do believe that entertainment is important to general  morale and it's also an industry whose workers need to keep roofs over their heads and bread on the table.   But to get there I would prefer that they just address it directly, rather than rely on the viewer to make assumptions based on what other shows are doing, what seems like they'd probably do, etc.

• Love 1

I disagreed with several of the queens Ru chose as the LSFYL winners so I thought the inevitable twist was going to be that they'd actually lost. From the very brief time we got with the queens before they had to LSFYL, I'm more interested in seeing most of the queens who didn't win. It's always interesting to see who already knows each other and what kind of baggage they bring onto the show. It looks like the biggest upset was supposed to be Olivia Lux defeating Rosé since Rosé is a self described legend and Olivia has only been doing drag for a year and a half. I did find it kind of hilarious that more than one queen said they were lip sync assassins and then they lost. Have these queens never filmed themselves performing?

I was really surprised that Kandy won her LSFYL because I thought she was just okay, but then again Ru does like when you make her laugh. My main issue with Kandy was that when I watched her lips (her big weapon, remember?), it wasn't clear that she knew all the words. I couldn't tell if she was unsure of the words or just not moving her mouth enough but either way it was making me question if she knew the words, which is not something I want to see during a lip sync. Joey came off as more polished, professional, and believable in her lip sync. On a shallow note, I didn't like Kandy's or Joey's outfits. Kandy's looked very cheap/tacky and Joey's was a red leotard.

Initially Denali seemed like she was doing better at her LSFYL, even with her ice skates on, but LaLa Ri got really into it by the end. I do question her taste level with that outfit. I mean, a mock turtleneck leo with a blazer? I know everyone is saving their amazing looks for the runway, but GURL.

Tamisha had a lot of those classic Janet Jackson dance moves down so she started out strong, but Symone had a very natural comic performance that was funny but effortless. I loved her polaroid dress too. But I can't lie - after hearing that Tamisha was cast on S12 and found out two days later that she had cancer, I was really rooting for her.

Gottmik has a very distinct style (both with her makeup and her costumes) so I'm definitely interested in seeing more from her. I'd much rather see someone like that than another basic/bland queen. Similarly, I like that Utica has wacky style. I get so bored when queens wear the same basic gown on the runway every week and it looks like Utica is not going to be that girl, which I love. I didn't get her explanation about her strawberry allergy. Allergies are not something you fight through. You either have them or you don't. You can't get rid of them by having a positive attitude or fighting them. And I say that as someone who had childhood allergies and developed additional allergies as an adult. I wish I could fight through them and not have them anymore.

I was cracking up at the Lindsay Lohan song choice. I haven't heard that song in so long! I couldn't make up my mind about Gottmik's lip sync. There were moments that looked great and then there were some really awkward ones. Utica seemed a lot more consistent in her goofy approach.

Rosé out of drag had some pretty amazing eyebrows which is unusual to see with drag queens. Even though I know that all the queens are going to look down on Olivia Lux for being such a newbie, but she has such a bright beautiful smile that I can't help but like her. For all of Rosé's bragging about her lip sync and dance skills, I thought she was fine but not amazing. I was expecting to be blown away by her and I found her to be competent but nothing to write home about. She said she's an amazing lip syncher and that she wanted to show the judges that she had tricks up her sleeve, but I saw none of that. Olivia was more fun to watch so I was fine with her winning.

Tina Burner was the most entertaining to watch in her trio, but I was so torn because I wanted Kahmora Hall to make it through too, partly for the fashion potential and partly because I didn't want the only Asian queen to be eliminated in the first episode. This show can always use more POC. I was expecting more from Elliott in the LSFYL after hearing that she was a dancer. Ha, I cracked up at Tina's description of Elliott's outfit as something to wear when speedwalking with his mom. Overall, I enjoyed this performance the most. There were points where it looked like they were a group that had rehearsed together.

Part of me liked that everyone had to LSFYL right away because sometimes we get almost to the end of the season and there are queens who haven't had to lip sync once. Now we've seen what everyone is capable of and I'd say that most of these queens are NOT lip sync assassins so I'm kind of afraid that we're going to have a season of boring LSFYLs. Feel free to prove me wrong, girls!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Good point.  I assume they are in a bubble with each other and quarantined away from contact with others for the duration.  And I understand that even in an ordinary year, the queens' comings and goings are pretty strictly controlled. 

Didn't the contestants say they weren't supposed to touch one another? And then we saw them touch each other repeatedly! That made me uncomfortable to watch. 

Most of this episode was uncomfortable for me to watch, actually. I usually feel joy when watching the premiere, but this format just made me feel stressed out, and sorry for the contestants.

The way the contestants got along so well throughout most of S12 (from when Aiden was eliminated onward) made me suspect that the producers would go to major lengths to encourage drama in S13. So this "vote someone off" BS doesn't surprise me at all.

5 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was really surprised that Kandy won her LSFYL because I thought she was just okay, but then again Ru does like when you make her laugh. My main issue with Kandy was that when I watched her lips (her big weapon, remember?), it wasn't clear that she knew all the words. I couldn't tell if she was unsure of the words or just not moving her mouth enough but either way it was making me question if she knew the words, which is not something I want to see during a lip sync. Joey came off as more polished, professional, and believable in her lip sync. On a shallow note, I didn't like Kandy's or Joey's outfits. Kandy's looked very cheap/tacky and Joey's was a red leotard.

I'm sick of Ru's fake-ass guffawing every time a contestant makes a slightly goofy face during a lip sync. It seems like that's all you have to do to win one. (Although in Kandy's case, I expect that they're going to use any excuse they can find to keep her around longer than she deserves, just because she's loud and obnoxious.)

Joey Jay made a big deal about not wearing wigs in her "meet the queens" segment, and she said that her style of drag is like an aggressive, butch lesbian. That wasn't what we saw here at all. I really like her, though.

It was ridiculous that Denali wasn't allowed to take her skates off. I thought she did a fantastic job getting through it, though, considering. I would have given her the win.

6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Not that I am any expert painter, but is it just me who thinks the now-popular style of makeup with a dot of highlighter at the tip of the nose made Ru look like she had a big ol' zit or something there?  I don't think it's flattering.

I cant remember much of the show because I was very distracted and annoyed by Ru's nose.  That was a really poor makeup job, is Raven still doing Ru's makeup? Whoever is doing it should be ashamed and Ru knows better, not a good look.

• Love 7

I thought it was too repetitive and I really missed having either a photo shoot or make an outfit out of whatever challenge. Then again the lip syncs are always my least favorite part because I think the loser is mostly decided ahead of time. My nephew is friends with Utica and Joey Jay so I hope they will both stay. 

• Love 7

For me lip-syncs on this show are always hit and miss. The best ones are when they're both awesome and it's hard to decide, but I also don't mind when one person is great and the other person is meh (or terrible). But at least half the time they're both meh, and that's the least interesting thing to watch. Double-meh standoffs were 80% of this episode.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 4

I think Utica's performance was better than Gotmik's.  I wonder if Ru saved Gotmik because she (Ru) felt that Gotmik would be at extra risk for elimination during the vote-off.  Ru might have wanted to protect her, herself and production from having the other queens decide to chop Gotmik because she is a trans man.

• Love 3

Count me in the group that wasn't crazy about the format for this season's premiere episode.  One of my favorite parts each season is the entrances and the queens reacting/meeting each other for the first time.  But I do recognize that they filmed this during a pandemic and were probably looking for ways to reduce the number of people in the room.  So I'll respect the choice and chalk this episode up as a circumstance of the current situation (like last season's finale episode).  But I could see myself skipping over this episode in future bing watching sessions.

So far, I'm liking Gottmik.  I thought her inspirations were really interesting and I'm particularly keen to see how the Picasso influence translates into her drag esthetic.  

Also, I'm kinda into Joey Jay?  I thought she was funny (and refreshingly self-aware) and thought she made some beautiful shapes with her body during the Call Me Maybe lip sync.  I would have chosen her as the winner (but clearly there is no way the producers would let someone who causes drama go in the first round).

Here's hoping that the show goes back to its regular format next week!

• Love 6
22 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I assume they are in a bubble with each other and quarantined away from contact with others for the duration.  

That was sort of confirmed when somebody asked “who’s single” because we’re all going to be stuck here seeing nobody but each other for awhile, or words to that effect. Based on that exchange, I got the sense that a stricter-than-usual sequestration was in effect.

I get the show wanting to shake up the format and keep things fresh, so I was ok with the LSFYL blindside. If nothing else, it revealed who can bring it with just a moment's notice, and who needs prep time. However, the practice of voting each other out can just go away forever. Nothing new or fresh about that twist; it just ends up being either shady or mean, and unfair to everyone.

It looks we may have a Pork Chop Alliance forming, which could be fun, or... could be a little disturbing. Alliances ruined the last season of The Amazing Race, and I don’t want them taking down this show, too.

• Love 7

Had an immediate, visceral dislike for Kandy. 
I was very befuddled by 90% of RuPaul’s picks in the LSFYLs, which became tedious real quick, but then I realized it had nothing to do with actual quality of lip syncing but instead Ru was building predetermined teams. Which........how utterly cruel was that whole concept?! Really, really cruel. 

• Love 18

I feel like the only person who hates lipsyncs. I really like the challenges and seeing the queens get ready for the runway - all their personal moments and stories. And then seeing what they made on the runway. The lipsync is the least interesting part of the show to me, so this twist did nothing for me.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:

Had an immediate, visceral dislike for Kandy. 
I was very befuddled by 90% of RuPaul’s picks in the LSFYLs, which became tedious real quick, but then I realized it had nothing to do with actual quality of lip syncing but instead Ru was building predetermined teams. Which........how utterly cruel was that whole concept?! Really, really cruel. 

Egad, I didn't even think of that. No teams! NO TEAMS! 

• Love 1
On 1/2/2021 at 5:26 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

I cant remember much of the show because I was very distracted and annoyed by Ru's nose.  That was a really poor makeup job, is Raven still doing Ru's makeup? Whoever is doing it should be ashamed and Ru knows better, not a good look.

Jesus christ on a cracker Ru looked like Cindy Lou who from the Grinch. That nose was insanity, but what made it what for me was the way they did get upper lip. She didn't have any shadow in her upper lip so it looked like they sand blasted it. It was AWFUL! COME ON RU...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I think Ru had a little work done on her face but the makeup did her no favors 

Agree on both points.   I don’t remember being able to see into her nostrils before.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Finally watching right now, interesting format change. I do like seeing the girls lip sync from the beginning but the constant repeat of the "drama" was too much. Kandy is gonna get on my nerves and she needs to attach that outfit better she was pulling it up even when walking around the werkroom. Utica is giving me some Thorgy vibes. I could see Utica and Gotmik becoming good friends. La La Ri was seriously underwhelming with that outfit. Rose out of drag reminds of the other guy from Wham, not George Michael. I think Olivia and Rose are my fave lip sync pair. Elliott was also underwhelming with that lip sync after talking about being a dancer. Oh please say the Pork Chop girls will be giving the "winners" a chop

• Love 2

I did not like this twist at all. I felt like it was cruel for the Pork Chop folks to think they were going home after not getting to do anything. 

I also noticed one of the Pork Chop queens in the ads for the season so I knew they weren't all leaving. 

Don't like Tina Burner or Kandy Muse. I thought Denali on ice skates was dumb and all I could think about was how it was either damaging the floors or her skates. (Obviously they weren't sharpened but still...)

I liked Utica, I think Tamisha (who was cast for season 12 and had cancer instead?), and Olivia. 

On 1/2/2021 at 4:37 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Part of me liked that everyone had to LSFYL right away because sometimes we get almost to the end of the season and there are queens who haven't had to lip sync once. Now we've seen what everyone is capable of and I'd say that most of these queens are NOT lip sync assassins so I'm kind of afraid that we're going to have a season of boring LSFYLs. Feel free to prove me wrong, girls!

It did feel a little gimmicky and repetitive, but there was definitely a benefit of being able to see all the contestants a fairly equal amount of time - this is the first season where I actually remember all of the contestants after the first episode.  So if it only serves that function the "twist" did its job.  I am fairly suspicious that ultimately all the "pork chop" drama will be handwaving and everyone will stay around for now.  All in all I am cautiously optimistic about the season.  

• Love 4

Soooo... I didn't see the last season, so I don't know what was going on there, but S11, to me, felt stale AF (and NOT just because Silky was annoying). I popped in here to see if maybe, possibly, this season could be something I could watch, because I dearly miss my queens, but seemingly the bullshit "twists" - the same ones that made me quit All-Stars - have taken over right from the beginning. Ru, why don't you DO YOUR FUCKING JOB, which is literally deciding who should go home and who should stay, instead of making the contestants decide for you? No wait, I know why - the drama. As if this show didn't have enough of that without BS twists like this. 

IMHO, this show should've ended about 5 seasons ago, but judging by the incomprehensible ratings, it's not like my opinion matters. 

On 1/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, Aerobicidal said:

Bring on DRUK season two!

YES PLEASE! 🙏 I loved it!

Edited by Rosenrot
22 hours ago, Regalbegal said:

It did feel a little gimmicky and repetitive, but there was definitely a benefit of being able to see all the contestants a fairly equal amount of time - this is the first season where I actually remember all of the contestants after the first episode.  So if it only serves that function the "twist" did its job.  I am fairly suspicious that ultimately all the "pork chop" drama will be handwaving and everyone will stay around for now.  All in all I am cautiously optimistic about the season.  

yeah I watched a video with the queens on youtube and could name almost all of them which I normally can't do this time of the season

On 1/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, theatremouse said:

The blades had covers on.

? When ? Where ? I didn't see any covers on the blades (at least in the LSFYL) ! And it would have been impossible to dance on that type of surface with blade-covers on ! If my memory is not deficient, she even used her toe picks when she was knee bent !

• Love 1

...okay, first I thought "well, not my thing, but I get it, this way you keep the queens apart and don't have them running around between each other in the workroom". But then the queens walked past each other during the lip sync instead of both standing on their own side, and THEN the "losers" (and I didn't agree with most of the decisions I actually watched at all, btw) were all put together in this one room muuuuuch too close to each other, making the whole thing utterly pointless. And I think it would have been more fun, if the talks between contestants and the panel had been more fun, with a number of crazy questions being asked to get a better idea of the personality of the queens. And I think groups of three with two "winners" would be less repetitive, with RU and nobody else deciding who has to go first. The whole thing was cruel enough as it was, adding the decision at the very was one too much.

Also: Ru, stop trying to make Pork Chop happen. It won't happen.

• Love 2

I'm late to this party, but count me among those who found this "twist" to be both needlessly cruel and needlessly repetitive/tedious.  I do like the idea of forcing them to lip synch up front, but then maybe make that the challenge?  Have every duo/trio lip synch to the same song, and then cut it together as a montage so we don't have to watch it over and over again (with maybe the full versions available online for those who are interested)?  You could even do it in "heats" with a different song/montage in each round?  And then eliminate the girl who loses the last round?  No?

Gottmik to me looks so much like the actor who played Becky's husband Marc on the original Roseanne.  

Also agree that it's just...odd...that they don't mention COVID at all.