Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Bounceback (2)

WendyCR72

To air on January 4, 2021:

It's a new year and Lola's baby is due any day. She learns the jury was going to deliver a "not guilty" verdict in a case in which she pressured defendant Leon Parsons to take a plea deal, forcing her to decide whether to let the plea stand and protect her reputation, or reveal what she knows to Leon. Also, Mark's in the midst of an intense negotiation with DA Louis Bravo regarding how and when to arrest and charge Deputy Sheriff Rashel for attempted murder, when Mark is the victim of a brazen knife attack.

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect the way that whole case was resolved was not exactly legally kosher.  It is a nice ending, but probably not at all realistic.  But hey!  This is TV, so I'm relatively OK with that.

I like that we had some closure to a lot of stuff.  Roxy got shut down by both Judge Benner and her daughter, and seemed to take it well both times.  I particularly liked Lola's conversation with her about the nuances between a public courtroom space and her daughter's courtroom space.  Public is as public does, but there is a difference when there is a personal relationship where inferences and assumptions can be made from that by those outside their mother-daughter relationship.

I also liked that Sara and Emily had a conversation and that Sara did not let Emily off the hook.  I think their relationship settled back into a new, but still familiar place.

The DA character they brought to the mix is certainly an odd duck.  Showing up and patiently waiting on the patio is both subtly threatening and creepy.  As was waiting in the very personal "behind the plexiglass wall" desk space.  They seem to be playing it like he's dirty, but maybe they'll surprise us.

Sherri is absolutely my favorite character right now.  She had some very good scenes last night: the unsuccessful meditation in the courtroom, her passionately matter-of-fact protective dress down of Emily, her conversation about "the China virus" confrontation...  Her relationship with the new clerk is an interestingly evolving character study.  I like how the new girl is slowly becoming less cocky with her realization that Sherri isn't the mere bureaucratic pedant office peon that her sky-rocketing hot-shit personality driven soaring trajectory self can or should just ignore or brush off.  Sherri not only has experience, she also has insight and know-how even if she isn't an exalted attorney on the fast track to supposed greatness.  I like how Sherri is rewarding Nessa by doling out jewels of her wisdom when she judges Nessa is ready to accept them and otherwise treats her with exasperated impatience.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Avabelle said:

I haven’t seen this yet but did Leon get his justice?

Also please tell me Sara didnt pologise to Emily...

Without giving away too much...yes he did and no she didn't

• Love 2

I have no idea how this stacks up legally, but I am really glad that Leon got justice and that Lola will hopefully not have to face too much blowback from this whole mess. Hopefully she also learned from this, while its understandable that she wants to do what she can to fight injustice, she has to remember that she is doing just that, she still needs to stay in her legal lane more often than not. She had good intentions and I get why she did what she did, but she jumped to the wrong conclusion and its almost down to luck that everything worked out. 

Roxy finally gets a talking to from both Lola and Judge Benner and it is a long time coming. As admirable as it is that Roxy cares so much about the people she works with, her showing up at Lola's court is just bad optics. Yeah its a public place, but it makes it hard for Lola to do her job and can raise some unfortunate questions about Lola's impartiality. I am glad she respected and heard what they said, and her talk with Lola at the end was really sweet. Also, baby is on the way! 

Lets also not bury the fact that Mark got stabbed! I might be watching too much Netflix, but it does seem like a bit of a coincidence that he got attacked right before starting to bring charges against a pretty intense bunch of cops. Their head lawyer sure is something, bringing Mark's dad into it to try and discredit him was a really crappy thing to do. 

I am so glad that Sara didnt apologize to Emily and Emily was the one to say sorry, even if Sara was the one who initiated the talk. She has nothing to apologize for, Emily has been such a pain this season she needs more people to tell her to get her head out of her ass. Of course, Mama Bear Sherri is here to give Emily one hell of a dressing down, and it was absolutely awesome. Sherri is the best, and I am starting to like her dynamic with Nessa a lot more as Nessa learns more about being respectful of the work they do.

Loved all the judges power walking to work and then arguing over Zoom about Lola's case. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Their head lawyer sure is something, bringing Mark's dad into it to try and discredit him was a really crappy thing to do. 

That was Anne Heche, and her portrayal was quite a bit OTT.  She was outlining her case to the opposition as if she was doing an opening or closing statement to a jury.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 6

That was Anne Heche?  I've got to watch again, because it was really bugging me who that actress was...but never in a million years would I have come up with Anne Heche.  Thanks!  She looks really different with long hair.  Her voice was what was tapping at my brain, telling me I knew her if I could just think hard enough.  

That's why I love these forums, somebody always has the answer.  

• Love 5

The entire episode, I thought the sheriff union lawyer was being portrayed by Kim Richards of Real Housewives infamy. Come to find out it was Anne Heche and I’m wondering what the hell happened to her. 

Beyond that, I’m glad Lola admitted that she overstepped and I hope the show has realistic consequences for her actions. I’m finding it difficult to care about the sheriff storyline and even Rick Fox at his least attractive couldn’t get me into the restorative justice angle for Luke. 

I absolutely love Sherri and I’m glad the actress is getting these moments to shine. 

• Love 1

Judges actively being involved in plea bargains is discouraged in almost every state, but it is specifically NOT disallowed in California (discouraged, but only by tradition, there are no statues or case law that address it), so it seemed odd to me that it was shown as this big shocking thing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

By the way, why in the world did they add Lindsey Gort to the cast and then completely cut off the feet of Amy Quinn as a character? She's practically like an old sitcom housewife now. I didn't even LIKE Amy Quinn as a character, but at least she HAD a character. New Amy is bland as heck. 

• Love 3

I noticed that too... she never has any storylines and her only screen time seems to be to react to her boyfriend. 

ugh at Emily ranting at Luke. And the rant at Lola - everytime she’s in a scene I just want to tell her to say calm down. 

• Love 2

I liked Luke calmly, soberly, without blinking, suggesting Emily's client claim ineffective counsel, thus screwing Emily over, rather than Emily framing it as Lola's fault. Mwa ha ha. He's clearly not totally over whatever happened between them, and has decided it's not worth talking about it directly because he's sussed out that Emily is not really up for a serious conversation. But a little toe in the reality check water? Not above THAT.

• Love 6

I know Rick Fox from the basketball court where he is a medium sized player. I haven't really seen his acting career but don't remember him that large, even when next to Vanessa Williams

On 1/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, Brian Cronin said:

By the way, why in the world did they add Lindsey Gort to the cast and then completely cut off the feet of Amy Quinn as a character? She's practically like an old sitcom housewife now. I didn't even LIKE Amy Quinn as a character, but at least she HAD a character. New Amy is bland as heck. 

The only thing I can think is that they're trying to limit who shoots with who as part of Covid protocols so they've siloed her into the house set and she doesn't get to do much else. But I do miss seeing her in court.