Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Wish You Were Here

I'm struggling to make sense of the power outage.  Apparently it's a common problem as someone in the background mentioned it being the 3rd time that week or month.  The way Molly and John reacted (generator, candles) further indicated this is just something that happens even without the influence of a storm interfering with the power grid.  What is this about?  How is electricity supplied?  Is this to indicate that their rate of gadget tech is far outpacing advancements in creating the power to supply juice to these gadgets?  Sort of like ignoring the the faults in the foundation and moving quickly into putting up the walls.  It just seems like this frequent grid failure is meant to tell us something about the story but I can't quite figure out what.

Like @Rhetorica said, good catch! I'm guessing Molly's baby daddy's ghost is in the house, or maybe the baby is doing it.

I do appreciate the idea that they're really creating a humanist-type AI robot, not a walking, talking calculator, but I also question WHY. For instance, I could see it being a service-bot type of thing, like a more human version of a museum docent, more realistic than the one in the last episode (and with the memory of a computer, able to share information on any topic when asked -- which humans CAN'T do). I mostly have difficulty with the need for a robot child, when creating children is something humans CAN do.

I guess that's the point of their backstory of Molly's miscarriage. If the Humanechs technology succeeds, I can imagine a wealthy widow having a robot version of her deceased husband made.
(edited)

Someone please stop the pastels. I cannot with this show's color palette. 

I still don't see the chemistry between Molly and John, but boy if there isn't some there between John and Julie.

IMO, the biggest mistery in this show is how they didn't adopt a kid. You can't convince me that thirty years from now there are not kids in need of parents.

I couldn't care less about baby alienf, but the conspiracy is getting cool.

My hypothesis? Something will happen that results in Julie's death/damage to her body and she somehow transfers her consciousness into the female robot, but only after becoming very angry at the family over.... something (being rejected, etc.)

Spoiler and read at your own risk: 

Julie is a double amputee and her legs are high-tech/synthetic prostheses.

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 1

IMO, the biggest mistery in this show is how they didn't adopt a kid. You can't convince me that thirty years from now there are not kids in need of parents.

Seems like she signed up for the 13mos mission right after their last fertility treatment failed. She may not have gone up immediately after, but it was probably not the best time to look into adopting a "real" child.

• Love 1

I liked this episode more than the previous two.  I agree with everyone who said there was finally a little chemistry between Molly and John.  The show is getting more interesting so I'll hang on for now.  And, yes, Halle running seems distractingly awkward.  At least give  her a sport's bra.

I'm liking Sam, I love the idea of Molly having a real friend in her corner, and I hope Sam stays that way instead of becoming just another fake thing in Molly's life.  Also, I don't have an issue with Julie, I feel sort of bad for her.  It seems, to me at least, that she has a genuine attachment to Ethan and he seems more animated with her than with Molly.  I think if circumstances let Molly give Ethan to Julie without John throwing a fit, she would do it in a heartbeat.  I feel like Molly is doing her best with Ethan more to placate John than out of a real feeling of being his mother. 

What bugged me most about this episode was John's barely restrained pissy attitude towards the parents at the school, as if they are "discriminating" against his toaster. It felt a little heavy-handed to me, as if the show is saying aren't these people such close-minded yokels who are not compassionate enough to accept this toaster among them?  All I could think, (after wondering why all the complaining parents were white -- you'd think the future U.S. would be more ethnically diverse),  is that they had a valid concern, and that "Oh, we sent you a letter explaining this" is a ridiculous response.   Sure, it might be good for John's experiment, but how is that a concern/priority of the school? And why is helping John's experiment so important that even parents who have reservations about this are forced to go along?  For what benefit? To help John become a millionaire? Plus, going to school all day seems like overkill, you'd think Ethan could socialize with other kids in a lab sponsored day care. Are all similar developing AI's also going to need to take up space and resources in what I assume is a public school? And all this is for what?  So childless parents can have fake kids that perhaps won't even age? When the parents die of old age what happens to the "kids." And wouldn't these probably cost millions of dollars each or are they just going to develop a handful and then duplicate them?

• Love 3
(edited)
I was also deeply offended on Mollie's behalf when her husband's reaction to them losing a child was "Here, take my science experiment and mother it." YUCK. What woman would take that sitting down? Like bot-boy and a human infant borne from your body are comparable in any way!

I thought she would slap him. I wanted to do it myself.

And all this is for what?  So childless parents can have fake kids that perhaps won't even age? When the parents die of old age what happens to the "kids." And wouldn't these probably cost millions of dollars each or are they just going to develop a handful and then duplicate them?

I, too was wondering about how the aging process works, and how expensive it would be. Has the show given a reason for John's project, because if so, I missed it. So far, I am getting the need.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1
(edited)

The colors on this program that everyone is complaining about are the same colors offered by Victoria's Secret in their Fall collection. Pale Plum, Feather Gray, Charcoal Gray and. Black Orchid.

I ordered a sweater in the Pale Plum, and exchanged it for black after seeing how washed out and blah it looked on the show (and Molly).

Edited by Shelby

I'm just catching up on this show and it seems clear to me that Molly is imagining things from Kreiger to Marcus's brother. I don't think they are really there. THe question for me is the source of the hallucinations. Is it part of what is being done to her, or is it some sort of subconscious attempt by Molly to make her aware of what is happening to her.

That little boy Ethan is creepy. I don't think I could go to sleep with both eyes closed with that thing in my house. At the same time, I feel bad because he could simply be a little boy tryig to navigate in a world where he knows he is different from everyone else.

Molly and John seem to have more chemitry in this episode than they did in either episodes one or two. Perhaps the actors were being told todial it back to reflect the length of the separation and thecrazy that Molly is experiencing. Now that they are sort of getting back into the groove of couplement, the awkwardness is falling away.

Still don't trust Camryn M. There is no way that thing growing in HB is a normal fetus. Plus why would a vet's office have an US machine, and if CM just brought it there, where did she get it from?

Meryl Streep's daughter is a creepy Hand That Rocks the Cradle stalker ho clearly wants Molly's life. Ironic that this desire might turn out to be the ultimate case of Be Careful What You Which For.