Type keyword(s) to search

Restaurant Hustle 2020: All On the Line - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Article/blurb

In this documentary from Executive Producer Guy Fieri, four of America's favorite chefs -- Maneet Chauhan, Antonia Lofaso, Christian Petroni and Marcus Samuelsson -- pick up the cameras and enlist the help of friends and family to document what happened to their restaurant empires as the outbreak of COVID-19 swept across the United States. As state and local governments closed restaurants from New York City to Los Angeles, Maneet, Antonia, Christian and Marcus each came up with different strategies to try to save their businesses and keep their employees working while also serving food to their local communities and frontline health workers.

UPCOMING AIRINGS

• SUNDAY: Dec 27 - 9pm | 8c
  • MONDAY: Dec 28 - 12am | 11c

Having just watched this I'm so glad it said "to be continued" since the filming window ended in Sept and things were hopeful.  But since Antonia said she couldn't survive 6 months of outdoor dining only, and we know that things have shut down more again, it was not that hopeful of an ending.  Seeing how these celerity chefs with multiple restaurants were hit really makes you see how hard smaller, "mom & pop" shops must be hit.  It's crazy.  I feel for all of them. 

• Love 4

Oh, this was wrenching. Makes me extra glad that we've been ordering takeout and delivery from our favorite local indies way more often, donating to World Central Kitchen, and over-tipping. Our favorite pizzeria messed up our regular order by putting something on I can't have, even if you remove it and only a little juice is leftover. The next time we placed that order, I mentioned it and asked them to please make sure that topping wasn't on it. They tried to give us credit for the previous pizza, and I refused. I told them my husband could and did eat it, and maybe after the pandemic, they can throw in a free side or something. Now, I'm almost sorry I even mentioned it.

I've always liked Antonia, Marcus, and Christian, and while it's interesting to see the different ways all of them rallied, it's also just so sad. Antonia in particular I think is doing this to help her industry (I'm sure they all are, but she said she doesn't like to show this side of her), and I hope they come through. I want them same for Guy and all the places that are struggling.  All their employees! I hope they do as well as they can. And Chef Jose Andres deserved all the humanitarian honors. I've been following his efforts for a long time. 

Edited by Darian
  • Love 3

I think this was more about kind of nakedly, what kind of business mind these chefs have not how well they cook. Can they navigate this period and rewrite their business plans to suit this new reality or are they going to just keep cooking. Clearly, some are better at the business end than others. 

• Love 1

I think it'll be interesting to see how Marcus various locations are faring and his options and opinions given all the different locations he has - they span the gamut on "openness" from Sweden and Florida to NY, Canada, and London.  It's got to be such a mixed bag, and how to apply safety measures to all employees and customers in a way that makes them feel safe regardless of their respective state and country guidelines.  

• Love 1

Business acumen is definitely a big factor in who is going to get through this. That has me worried for Christian, who says it's not his strength. Maneet and Vivek were lucky to have a brewery they could reconfigure (there's a better word, I know). I wonder if in the future, restauranteurs will consider having some kind of backup plan or arm of their business they could convert to retail. Sadly, there will be other pandemics. I'm fascinated seeing the different approaches. I felt so bad when Antonia got so enthusiastic about Seder dinners, and then they had to shut down.  

• Love 4

I like Antonia and wish her businesses nothing but success. But I was disappointed at how casually she seemed to take to mask wearing. She was in a truck with 3 other people that she didn't live with and they weren't wearing masks. Other than that, I liked the documentary very much and will watch the next installment.

7 hours ago, Darian said:

Business acumen is definitely a big factor in who is going to get through this. That has me worried for Christian, who says it's not his strength. Maneet and Vivek were lucky to have a brewery they could reconfigure (there's a better word, I know). I wonder if in the future, restauranteurs will consider having some kind of backup plan or arm of their business they could convert to retail. Sadly, there will be other pandemics. I'm fascinated seeing the different approaches. I felt so bad when Antonia got so enthusiastic about Seder dinners, and then they had to shut down.  

Is Fortuna the only restaurant that Christian owns? At the end of the special it sounded like he quit or was going to quit. 

23 hours ago, Darian said:

Oh, this was wrenching. Makes me extra glad that we've been ordering takeout and delivery from our favorite local indies way more often, donating to World Central Kitchen, and over-tipping. Our favorite pizzeria messed up our regular order by putting something on I can't have, even if you remove it and only a little juice is leftover. The next time we placed that order, I mentioned it and asked them to please make sure that topping wasn't on it. They tried to give us credit for the previous pizza, and I refused. I told them my husband could and did eat it, and maybe after the pandemic, they can throw in a free side or something. Now, I'm almost sorry I even mentioned it.

I've always liked Antonia, Marcus, and Christian, and while it's interesting to see the different ways all of them rallied, it's also just so sad. Antonia in particular I think is doing this to help her industry (I'm sure they all are, but she said she doesn't like to show this side of her), and I hope they come through. I want them same for Guy and all the places that are struggling.  All their employees! I hope they do as well as they can. And Chef Jose Andres deserved all the humanitarian honors. I've been following his efforts for a long time. 

I have to admit that I had mixed feelings about this documentary. It felt a little bit like a vanity project for Guy. I would have liked for him to give details of how the money he's raised has been distributed to restaurant workers.

I do think it is a good PSA to help people understand the effect the pandemic has had on the restaurant industry. I would have liked to see more of a focus on the millions of people who work in the F&B industry and the businesses that provide behind the scenes support, starting in the fields and going all the way to the delivery of products to restaurants. There could be an entire series of documentaries (and there are some out there) that focus on non-celebrity people in the supply chain - but if they aren't celebrities, would anyone care?

I guess the reason this doesn't seem to be repeating on FN is that it isn't the mindless feel-good stuff they usually air. It wouldn't surprise me if Guy had to pull his weight and fight to make FN show this.

I saw toward the end that World Central Kitchen was mentioned, but did they say Jose Andres' name? I didn't hear it and that pissed me off.

So, mixed feelings, but overall positive for me.

• Love 2

This was very good.  I know all of these chefs well, but it made me wish I knew more about their private restaurants before the pandemic.  Christian's are within driving distance from me and in some very familiar areas although I've never been to any of his restaurants - Would like to one day - hopefully they will still be there.  I've been to Red Rooster twice - It is much beloved and I was happy to see it and Marcus surviving, but I'm worried about what's to come.  I hope I find out about the next installment again before it airs.  I just happened to learn about this from a preview.  I was wondering why Guy didn't include his own restaurants in the show.

I too noticed Antonia's lax masking.   When she was cooking the Passover dinners she had no mask on and when she was expediting she often had it not covering her nose if not pulled down completely.  

I wasn't paying enough attention to understanding Christian's situation.  I thought he was the chef/owner of several restaurants.  Yet when he packed up and left he said he'd never be back.  Did he sell?  Was it just that one?   Ironically, he seemed to be in the best shape of all of them since he said his sales were up.  

It sounded like Marcus and Maneet had a lot of community support/goodwill.  Antonia seemed to be struggling the most out of the 4, both personally and professionally. 

On 12/29/2020 at 2:16 AM, LexieLily said:

Is Fortuna the only restaurant that Christian owns? At the end of the special it sounded like he quit or was going to quit. 

I think Fortuna was one of a group of 4 restaurants Christian formed.  He decided to leave the group. Here’s an article that explains his reasons for leaving the group which he had been planning to do anyway prepandemic.

https://www.lohud.com/story/life/food/2020/12/23/food-network-star-christian-petroni-restaurant-documentary/3990649001/

• Useful 1