Type keyword(s) to search

S33 Preview Talk & Speculation

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 5/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, Phebemarie said:

Why not set up TAR USA with visits to national parks?  

Regardless of how they finish S33, I would love to see a TAR USA focused on national parks and historic heritage sites. One of the reasons why I love TAR Canada is because of the cinematic scenic beauty. The scenery gets lost a lot in OG TAR. I mean, I love chaotic foreign markets as much as the next person, but we never really get a sense of the natural beauty in places visited.

Doing a US-based TAR would solve a lot of problems. Avoiding border checks and travel restrictions. Avoiding boring, spoon-fed travel by relying on self-navigation. Exposing more people to our incredible (and perpetually underfunded) national parks system. Armchair travel for Americans who have never had the opportunity to visit some of our great cities across the nation. Refocusing food tasks meant to revolt into food tasks that highlight our varied regional cuisines. You know that little thrill you get when TAR starts or ends in your city, or visits someplace you've been? More viewers would get to experience that thrill. Could be an opportunity to attract new viewers who then stick with the show when it returns to its usual format. 

TAR USA. I'm in. 

• Love 9

A National Parks edition would be awesome. The US has some very amazing parks with wildly different environments. They could go to Death Valley (Desert), Yellowstone (Gysers/Thermal Activity), Sequoia (Really big trees), Joshua Tree (cactus), Volcano Park (Can't remember the actual name but Volcano).

The Parks already have a good number of tasks outlined in the Junior Ranger books. Each Park has some and the activities could easily be a starting point for tasks. We just got back from Yellowstone, there is a formula for predicting Old Faithful and 4 other geysers. The math isn't hard but I suspect it might be confusing for some teams, based on what we have seen in past seasons. The Teams need to witness Old Faithful and then predict its next eruption. Once they have the right answer, they need to go to the other 4 geysers that are predicted by the Rangers and work out the next prediction times based on info found at each geyser. The task would require some math, some research to find out what geysers the Rangers predict, and some travel from geyser to geyser (they are all in the upper basin but it is a 5 mile long area).

All of the Parks have lodges and stores and restaurants that could easily be used for tasks. The Park Ranger talks/exhibits could be turned into tasks. For example, Recreate a Civil War tent site at Gettysburg for a task. I am sure they could do something similar for different Native Peoples to show different types of living structures. Heck, they could have an animal tracking task following wolves or bears or something. Heck, they could do a needle in the haystack task to find a specific t-shirt or hat in a Parks storage wharehouse.

It would be a great way to show the beauty and history of the US. All without worrying about vaccination issues for travel and probably at a cheaper cost then a regular season.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Race2020Fan said:

The 33 Race is back on. Teams arrived in LA Monday. 

I got a friend tracking the plane. It landed in Zurich 5 hours ago. That same plane has been to Ghana twice, Turkey twice and London twice since Tuesday last week. Maybe scoping out their future destinations fit this race. 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:53 PM, Race2020Fan said:

I got a friend tracking the plane. It landed in Zurich 5 hours ago. That same plane has been to Ghana twice, Turkey twice and London twice since Tuesday last week. Maybe scoping out their future destinations fit this race. 

It's possible that they will use the charter plane for all of the racers' travel.  That would be a smart thing to do - eliminate all public transportation between legs, let everyone start at the new destination in the order/time they arrived at the prior mat.  And, it probably costs less than 20+ individual last minute plane tickets each episode.  It also provides flexibility if one country closes its borders at the last minute - I'm sure they have contingent plans for each leg. 

• Love 5

The bit about the charter jet appears to be true. And it appears the original 33 cast is returning, but that’s not confirmed. Nor have I seen anything about whether the three legs previously filmed will be kept or scrapped. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are other changes made to reduce risk, such no local drivers and use of technology to reduce the overall number of camera crews and local production such ass drone cameras. (If you watched the MLB Field of Dreams game five weeks ago, you can see what a difference drone cameras made in the broadcast.) Most of this is my speculation based on the perception that WRP and CBS wants to minimize any possible exposure to unvaccinated locals and get the rest of season 33 in the can.

So, do we think TAR is actually filming presently, or plotting the route?   If they are looking to get it on the air in the spring, you'd think they would be need to be running now.  Charter flights, and self driving in theory should be safe forms of transport.  I could see them running a race without trains, cabs and buses.  I'm excited for TAR to return.  

Follow the plane!

Anything about the cast even

Spoiler

the number of teams that left LA

are not photo verified, except the plane, which Bertram confirmed on Facebook. The plane has been tracked through publicly sourced air traffic flight information which only stays up a short period of time. But as far as I know, there not been a photo sourced spoiler since production restarted.

I wonder why a show that has always tried very hard to maintain a veil of secrecy over its movements - running decoy racers, eg - would go out of its way, with a branded aircraft, to allow such easy tracking of this charter.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SG429 said:

I wonder why a show that has always tried very hard to maintain a veil of secrecy over its movements - running decoy racers, eg - would go out of its way, with a branded aircraft, to allow such easy tracking of this charter.

Hmm. Decoy racers.... branded aircraft.... Maybe dey not as stoopid as dey want us ta think!

Edited by Netfoot

I’d like for them to return, but it sucks that it sounds like they only way they can return right now is to eliminate all the parts that made the show interesting! No airport drama, bad taxis, interactions with locals, etc. takes all the suspense and fun out of it. 

51 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Deadline is reporting that S33 will premiere on January 5th 2022,

Jan 5th is a 2-hour kick-off, starting at 8E/7C. The following week (presumably all the other weeks as well, but you never know) it will be at its regular slot of 9E/8C. CBS put out its mid-season schedule yesterday.

• Love 1

Without posting any spoilers, has there been any verification of whether TAR was able to get back all the racers from the interrupted season?  And if so, did they pick up where they started off, or did they start back at Leg 1?  I don't want to go into any of the spoiler threads, because I like to view TAR without any prior knowledge of the season.  But I'm just curious as to this...

(I don't think the answers to these questions would be considered spoilers by anyone, but if so, then just post under a spoiler tag.)

Hi chaifan! I don't think it can be considered a spoiler either as it has been widely reported in the media. But I'll add spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler

No, the entire cast did not return. I won't reveal how they managed that here but it is known.  And the legs continued but the early ones were counted.

I know I can't wait to see how they made this happen!

• Love 1
On 11/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

Deadline is reporting that S33 will premiere on January 5th 2022, and that it's currently in post-production with all travel complete.

Just saw an ad on Survivor - Amazing Race is premiering on Jan 5.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Just saw an ad on Survivor - Amazing Race is premiering on Jan 5.

Any footage? Or just generic stuff? Either way, it’s a good sign.

ETA: “The longest Pit Stop is over.” Niiiiiiiiice. 😀👍

Edited by Lantern7
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Any footage? Or just generic stuff? Either way, it’s a good sign.

ETA: “The longest Pit Stop is over.” Niiiiiiiiice. 😀👍

No footage, the commercial was no longer than 30 seconds, if that. But you did get to see Phil's eyebrow.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:04 AM, Haleth said:
  Reveal spoiler

The race is supposed to end in Indianapolis???  Obviously there will be something happening at the Speedway.

If the race ever gets up and going again, with the same itinerary I'm going to have to keep and eye on spoilers and hang out there.

Me too!  I can think of some locations :)

I don't know if this is exactly speculation or not, but I was too skeered to post it anywhere else.

Every time the race starts, we hope the people were smart enough to prepare and learn certain things, like swimming and driving stick, etc.

But I really, really hope that after running 2-3 legs, depending on where they actually stopped, I hope to Croesus these people went home and thought "holy crap, I gotta do some things."  Every racer says how much harder it is than they expected.  I hope these guys realized it and when they come back, they have done endurance training, swum marathons, learned how to operate every vehicle known to man.  They have a unique opportunity to really step it up, only matched by all-star racers.  We should be seeing 90 lbs weaklings come back after Charles Atlas training.  The former athlete mom (Sheri?) who was being berated by her husband, should be running laps around him when they come back.  Like I said, a unique opportunity.

Edited by bunnyface
  • Love 8

I'm absolutely curious as to which teams had their relationship materially change during the interim when the filming stopped and then resumed. I'm not looking any up and spoiling myself, but it'd be interesting to see if any couples split or moved to a different level. Two years is time to get married or have a baby. New relationship people could've split up and moved onto different partners, but hey, Amazing Race. Are YouTubers still YouTubing or are the kids no longer cute enough to get clicks? Jobs could've changed. Given Covid, some people could have died or been incapacitated but I'm presuming no one had.  I guess no one refused the vaccine to get back on presuming that was a requirement for restart? 

This is like the Richard Linklater Boyhood version of The Amazing Race.

• Love 2

Yeah, as far as we know without spoilers a whole lot could have changed in the last 2 years.  I'm assuming they all returned.  It will be interesting to hear how they dealt with the long gap.

If they finished in Indianapolis it was done without any spoilers as far as I know.  I'm guessing they wrapped up in Europe.  

Edited by Haleth

I'm really curious to know who the two teams are that didn't come back post-Covid.  I assume that they are not counting eliminated teams - there should be 2 teams out by then end of the 2nd ep/3rd leg, when they stopped production.  So, of 9 teams left, 7 came back.  At least I think that's what they've said.  I could see the one dating couple (Caro and Ray) splitting up in the interim and not coming back.  But other than job issues, or maybe someone is pregnant (which I think we would have heard of by now), why would you say no to returning to TAR? 

So in the previews for next week, when Phil is giving the suspension announcement he is clearly at the mat (you can see it in front of him).  So I was pretty surprised that they clearly showed several teams (at least 4 I think) as that would seem to give away that those teams were not eliminated in leg 3.  Or does this mean that they had to shut it down before the leg ended?  (I guess not because there are 10 teams now and we have heard that 2 teams didn't come back for the restart and 7 participated which means they were down to 9 before suspension and so leg 3 was able to complete?)

And since they made sure to show those teams I think it's probably safe to assume that the teams they showed will be among the 7 who game back for the restart.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
45 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

So in the previews for next week, when Phil is giving the suspension announcement he is clearly at the mat (you can see it in front of him).  So I was pretty surprised that they clearly showed several teams (at least 4 I think) as that would seem to give away that those teams were not eliminated in leg 3.  Or does this mean that they had to shut it down before the leg ended?  (I guess not because there are 10 teams now and we have heard that 2 teams didn't come back for the restart and 7 participated which means they were down to 9 before suspension and so leg 3 was able to complete?)

And since they made sure to show those teams I think it's probably safe to assume that the teams they showed will be among the 7 who game back for the restart.

I think it would be possible for the eliminated team to be at the mat and in the video for the covid announcement.  He wouldn't give the announcement until all teams were there, so it's likely he'd wait for the last team, eliminate them, but keep them around for the announcement.  So I wouldn't be certain that any team in that shot was not the eliminated team.

Or, like Penn & Ray, I could be completely overthinking this!  😁

• LOL 2

So in the end of the episode and the preview we see the 5 returning teams. In the last shot of the preview we see 7 teams waiting for Phil to give the go-ahead.

From behind it looks like the outer most returning team is the singing cops (height difference) and I think the team next to them is Arun and Natalia the bald head matches and their jacket colours match from the leg before (not much traveling due to covid means those jackets don't see much wear and tear, I guess).

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh wow, 4 teams couldn't return? I thought it was 2.

There were 9 teams left at the end of the last leg and only 5 teams shown walking back in. I still don't  have everyone's names down but Ray/Caro, Spencer/???, the other married couple team that was yelling for Bobby, and the wedding dancers were not spotted in the return clip. 

I saw Penn/Kim, Akbar/Shelie, Not Guilty/Friend, twins, and 1 other team in the return clip. 

On 1/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, chaifan said:

I think it would be possible for the eliminated team to be at the mat and in the video for the covid announcement.  He wouldn't give the announcement until all teams were there, so it's likely he'd wait for the last team, eliminate them, but keep them around for the announcement.  So I wouldn't be certain that any team in that shot was not the eliminated team.

Or, like Penn & Ray, I could be completely overthinking this!  😁

The eliminated team would have been expecting to go to the hotel for losers to wait out the rest of the race so it made sense to tell them at the same time as they told the teams still in the race. 

Anyway, the full original TAR 33 route was to according to Producer's Podcast in March 2020, BvM's interview by Ross Crystal in October 2020 and Parade earlier this month:

Spoiler
  • START: Teams' homes, United States 20px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
  • Leg 1: London, England, United Kingdom 20px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
  • Leg 2: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom 20px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
  • Leg 3: Lulea, Norrbotten, Sweden 20px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
  • Leg 4: Innsbruck, Austria 20px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png (with ending in the Italian border)
  • Leg 5: Kathmandu, Nepal 20px-Flag_of_Nepal.svg.png
  • Leg 6: Da Nang, Vietnam 20px-Flag_of_Vietnam.svg.png
  • Leg 7: Phuket, Thailand 20px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png
  • Leg 8: Melbourne, Australia 20px-Flag_of_Australia_(converted).svg.p
  • Leg 9: Port Campbell, Australia 20px-Flag_of_Australia_(converted).svg.p
  • Leg 10: Santiago, Chile 20px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png
  • Leg 11: Lima, Peru 20px-Flag_of_Peru.svg.png
  • Leg 12: Houston, Texas, United States 20px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

London was initially to have one leg in the original plan, but it added an extra leg that makes two legs in a same city due to circumstances over coronavirus fears.

“Initially, there was no alarm,” adds Amazing Race co-creator Bertram van Munster. “Otherwise, we would have never left in the first place.” By the end of the third leg, he had already scouted ahead to northern Sweden in the Arctic Circle, the intended destination for Leg 4. And he was making plans for additional places like Kathmandu and Thailand, locations that were part of a route that ultimately never saw the light of day.

Van Munster had begun to hear rumblings of rising COVID cases in Asia, which made him start to pivot the rest of the season. “I put an alternate route together to South America,” he says. “We have connections all over the world, so we could put this relatively quickly together. But then I started talking to more people around the world. And they said, ‘This is very dangerous. Something is really wrong here.’ So I called the network, and I said, ‘We should not do the show.'”

CBS agreed, and on February 28, only a week into filming, filming was suspended mid-season for the first time in the show’s history. Sending a cast and crew of over 3000 home is easier said than done. But the producers take pride in succeeding in their goal, getting everyone back to Los Angeles within 72 hours. But for Keoghan, saying it was difficult to give the unprecedented news that the race would be stopping to the remaining teams would be an understatement.

“It was very emotional,” he says. “These teams have all sacrificed so much to be there. They left jobs, left their families, completely turned their lives upside down to be a part of something special. And then they are suddenly told, ‘Listen, sorry, we’re flying you home.’ You can imagine some people were like, ‘Is this really necessary? Are you sure? This is unprecedented. We’ve never had anything like this. Are we going to come back next month? How long could this go on for?'”

Sources:

Edited by ApprenticeFan
add spoiler tag
  • Love 2

Penn and Kim addressed Phil's instructions to work on improving skills before returning to the race. He kind of laughed and said they ended up being super busy when they got home with their videos and blog and book and other activities so they didn't spend much time prepping for a race return. That said, they didn't seem to have car troubles so I suspect they knew how to drive stick shift and they both exercise pretty regularly so I think they are in good shape. Kim showed off he ability to use a map and compass on this leg and Penn is an eagle Scout so we can assume that they should be good on map skills. 

Hopefully some of the folks who were struggling more with driving stick practiced a bunch. 

• Love 3

Sending a cast and crew of over 3000 home is easier said than done. But the producers take pride in succeeding in their goal, getting everyone back to Los Angeles within 72 hours

3000 people?  That is amazing (ha) they managed the logistics of getting everyone home quickly.  Quite a feat  

As I asked in the epi thread, I wonder how many teams figured they’d never be called back to finish the race. I know pessimistic me would have figured the show was dead. 

Listening to a Podcast by "Once Upon an Island"

Connie was 7 months pregnant when the Race restarted. Caro and Ray had broken up and there is a rumor that Caro's Visa for the US had expired. I have no clue if she was in the US on a Visa or if she is a US Citizen so no clue if that rumor makes sense. One of the Dancing Dudes had a brother die around the time that the Race restarted. 

The only team they didn't have a reason for not being there was Spenser and Anthony.

• Useful 2
On 1/14/2022 at 5:04 AM, ApprenticeFan said:

Anyway, the full original TAR 33 route was to according to Producer's Podcast in March 2020, BvM's interview by Ross Crystal in October 2020 and Parade earlier this month:

Hide contents
  • START: Teams' homes, United States
  • Leg 1: London, England, United Kingdom
  • Leg 2: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
  • Leg 3: Lulea, Norrbotten, Sweden
  • Leg 4: Innsbruck, Austria (with ending in the Italian border)
  • Leg 5: Kathmandu, Nepal
  • Leg 6: Da Nang, Vietnam
  • Leg 7: Phuket, Thailand
  • Leg 8: Melbourne, Australia
  • Leg 9: Port Campbell, Australia
  • Leg 10: Santiago, Chile
  • Leg 11: Lima, Peru
  • Leg 12: Houston, Texas, United States

London was initially to have one leg in the original plan, but it added an extra leg that makes two legs in a same city due to circumstances over coronavirus fears.

That actually does look like an amazing route. The best since quite a few seasons. Sad that it didn't happen.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zonk said:

That actually does look like an amazing route. The best since quite a few seasons. Sad that it didn't happen.

Since the route got cut off at the end of a leg, they can, in theory, reuse the remainder of that route in a future season.  All they'd need to do is add in 3 legs at the start.

Spoiler

Perhaps going to South Africa first, then up to Morocco before heading into Europe via Spain or Portugal, then onto Sweden and the remainder of the route.  That would also make it a route that Races on 6 continents again.

Or what is more likely, the specific legs may get reused in different future seasons, like a couple in TAR36, one in TAR37, and three in TAR40 as an example.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Or what is more likely, the specific legs may get reused in different future seasons, like a couple in TAR36, one in TAR37, and three in TAR40 as an example.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. packing those great destinations with shitty ones. But we'll see.

It would be fun if they did a race based on the original route and then tell people at the finish line that this was Season 33's original route. One of the reasons the tasks in episode 1 and 2 were a bit lack luster was that they added a day in London because of COVID.

I would guess that the darts and the digiben were add on tasks at the last minute because they were easy to add on. Pay a Pub for a private event and hire a few people to stand around in costumes handing out clues.

Not that the art or cake would have been all that equivalent in terms of difficulty to the art task. Maybe the judge would not have told them what they had wrong in the cake task. If all the Judge did was say no then people might have redone cakes they had correct or kept bringing up the wrong flag. The easier judging we saw was probably an attempt to balance out the massive differences in the ease of the tasks. The Mail Rail task was clearly an add on and turned into a challenge only because it was so easy. 

The lack of an elimination makes sense because there was never suppose to be a second leg in London, they probably would have dropped an elimination leg at a later point. 

• Love 1

The art of cake was originally part of the Detour in the first leg along with Artist Den. First leg tasks are mostly associated with the UK and its European Union exit (red telephone box, "Boris Johnson", "The Queen", etc). In the original route, Sweden was to be a KOR with an overnight train would head to Austria.

Phil remained in Glasgow until February 28, 2020 when BvM and the crew already left for Northern Sweden on February 26 and they were ready to shoot the location from February 27 and 28 as he told Phil discussing about the Race's suspension. February 28 was the props were there including 9 blocks of ice and 9 marked cars for teams. The production crew were there and they soon left after learning the suspension.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
Spoiler

Here are the originally planned elimination order:

• London: F11 elimination
  • Glasgow: F10 elimination
  • Norrbotten: KOR/TBC
  • Tyrol: F9 elimination
  • Kathmandu: F8 elimination
  • Da Nang and Hoi An: NEL
  • Phuket: F7 elimination
  • Melbourne: F6 elimination
  • Port Campbell and Great Ocean Road: NEL
  • Santiago: F5 elimination
  • Lima: F4 elimination
  • Houston: F3 would be present

And...

Spoiler

The dates of the original legs that were supposed to:

• Teams' homes: February 22, 2020
  • London: February 23, 2020
  • Glasgow: February 25, 2020
  • Norrbotten: February 28, 2020
  • Tyrol: March 1, 2020
  • Kathmandu: March 4, 2020
  • Da Nang and Hoi An: March 6, 2020
  • Phuket: March 8, 2020
  • Melbourne: March 10, 2020
  • Port Campbell and Great Ocean Road: March 11, 2020
  • Santiago: March 13, 2020
  • Lima: March 14, 2020
  • Houston: March 16, 2020

Edited by ApprenticeFan

https://theholdernessfamily.com/restarting-the-amazing-race/?fbclid=IwAR0zXlayVKB9vzaWeLjgY70_qBfxVPrXqM-nAQ8Tb3NxvMTAc8D7ex3COiY

Kim discussed the race COVID protocols and mentions that no one on the crew or cast got sick while filming the restart. She also points out that it was filmed in the time period were people were told it was ok to go maskless if your were vaccinated. A reminder that this was pre Delta and Omicron variations. 

• Love 3
Spoiler

Here is the more detailed original TAR 33 route:

• START: Teams' homes, United States (with teams flew from Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Charlotte)
  • Leg 1: London, England, United Kingdom 
  • Leg 2: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom 
  • Leg 3: Lulea, Norrbotten, Sweden 
  • Leg 4: Innsbruck, Austria (with ending in the Italian border)
  • Leg 5: Kathmandu, Nepal 
  • Leg 6: Da Nang, Vietnam 
  • Leg 7: Krabi, Thailand (via Bangkok)
  • Leg 8: Melbourne, Australia 
  • Leg 9: Port Campbell, Australia 
  • Leg 10: Santiago, Chile 
  • Leg 11: Lima, Peru 
  • Leg 12: Los Angeles, California, United States

Countries in the initially arranged order: 22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png 20px-Flag_of_Nepal.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_Vietnam.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_Australia_(converted).svg.p 22px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png 22px-Flag_of_Peru.svg.png

This is a repost

Edited by ApprenticeFan
better image of flags
Spoiler

Planned Pit Stop locations of the original TAR 33 route

• Leg 1: Natural History Museum, London, England, United Kingdom
  • Leg 2: University of Glasgow Cloisters, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
  • Leg 3: Norrbottens Järnvägsmuseum, Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden
  • Leg 4: Roundabout Intersection, Austro-Italian Border, Brenner, South Tyrol, Italy
  • Leg 5: Krishna Mandir, Patan Durbar Square, Lalitpur, Nepal
  • Leg 6: Chùa Cầu Bridge, Hội An, Vietnam
  • Leg 7: Phra Nang Beach, Ao Nang, Thailand
  • Leg 8: Melbourne Exhibition Convention Center, Melbourne, Australia
  • Leg 9: Loch Ard Gorge, Port Campbell, Australia
  • Leg 10: Plaza Gabriela Mistral, Santiago, Chile
  • Leg 11: Park of the Exhibition, Lima, Peru
  • Leg 12: Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, California, United States (Finish Line)

Although the two Pit Stops were used in the original production run before COVID suspended the Race in 2020.