Type keyword(s) to search

All Creatures Great And Small (2021) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/8/2023 at 5:16 AM, kassygreene said:

At least it wasn't the Hood.  May 24, 1941, Hood was sunk in three minutes with 3 survivors out of a crew of 1418.  One of those three was Ted Briggs, whom I remember from many stories about the Hood, and also the Bismarck... Anyway, thank you Show for not putting him on the Hood.

He could still be transferred to the Hood... 😜

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 1
On 3/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, ofmd said:

We need a deleted scenes reel.

Yes, we do. Unfortunately, we will only see extras like that if we pay PBS for their over priced DVDs-that’s what sells them!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 3/7/2023 at 2:40 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Thank you.  I would pray for the poor woman that winds up with Siegfried.

Sorry to interject OS here again (and I don’t think the books went into too much detail), but Siegfried settled down, married an equally (emotionally) distant woman who shared his love of horses and the horsey social set (she was poised and beautiful, and she basically ignored any nonsense she may have perceived from him). They had children, whom they loved, managed their lives together and didn’t make a public display of their “romance”. After that happened, he would still occasionally rant over clinic management matters, but his character mellowed into a reasonable despot. 

If they will compress time, as someone mentioned above, I’m wondering if they’ll even bring in a vivacious Scot (Callum), with badger in rucksack. I believe that character brought new life to the OS, and provided excitement and new stories to the routine weekly farm work. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

As you know now, they aren't staying true to the books, which is fine with me.  If they did, we wouldn't have Mrs. Hall to enjoy. I can't imagine Skeldale House without her.

It was basically a frat house until Helen moved in, so I appreciate this version sparing us that. And I love AM’s Mrs. Hall. I was only pointing out that Siegfried softened over time.

38 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I love this Siegfried.  In fact, I love everyone who lives in Skeldale House.

Same here! Mrs Hall might be my favorite, but Siegfried is a close second.

(And I, too, hope they won't kill off her son, but I'm prepared... I heard there are British period shows who killed off their main male character in a Christmas Special, right after he saw his firstborn for the first time... )

• Like 4
  • Wink 3
4 minutes ago, ofmd said:

I heard there are British period shows who killed off their main male character in a Christmas Special, right after he saw his firstborn for the first time...

When that episode aired in America, I was in a history class where a lot of people you wouldn't think were watching that show were totally watching that show (including me). The day after that was broadcast, everyone in that class was so pissed off. I've never been in a room of people so collectively outraged about a TV show before or since. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

When that episode aired in America, I was in a history class where a lot of people you wouldn't think were watching that show were totally watching that show (including me). The day after that was broadcast, everyone in that class was so pissed off. I've never been in a room of people so collectively outraged about a TV show before or since. 

I had a similar experience in the break room at work— it turned out everyone watched it. I think it was the only time I LITERALLY discussed a tv show around the water cooler. However, when I said I laughed at the death in question (the show’s pattern of parenthood=death in combination with the way that driving scene was shot was a bit much), a few other people admitted they had too. Sadly, I’m pretty sure none of these people watch All Creatures, which I love much better. 

• Like 2
On 3/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, kassa said:

I thought it was a bit ludicrous for James to have been literally running around the Yorkshire Dales in the late 1930's attired in track shorts, a sleeveless shirt and track shoes! I mean, NO ONE would have done that in the UK back then unless they were student track athletes running around their own campus tracks (or maybe running with their teammates around the campuses).

Funny, because this is one of the very few things in this new version that actually happened in the books only he was wearing that attire for comfort in summer heat. James was mercilessly mocked by the farmers for his unorthodox shorts.  

This is a beautifully filmed and well-acted version of the books but the radical and nonsensical changes from the books make it difficult for me because the books were not total fiction.  Alf Wight added and exaggerated things but they were based on his journals.  

• Like 1
On 4/16/2023 at 2:49 PM, limecoke said:

Funny, because this is one of the very few things in this new version that actually happened in the books only he was wearing that attire for comfort in summer heat. James was mercilessly mocked by the farmers for his unorthodox shorts.  

This is a beautifully filmed and well-acted version of the books but the radical and nonsensical changes from the books make it difficult for me because the books were not total fiction.  Alf Wight added and exaggerated things but they were based on his journals.  

I'm rereading them right now and you could not be more right. It's a little jarring.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2023 at 5:49 PM, limecoke said:

Just to clarify - I did not make the comment attributed to me - I responded to it with an anecdote about my great uncle who continued running post medical school in the 1930s, 40s, etc. He and his running buddy were definitely considered weird, but they were definitely out there doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I have a bit of a gripe. I'm rereading the first book right now. That howling dog coming out of the anesthesia was a whole chapter with much hilarity and misadventure. Same with Tristan's chickens. I really wish they'd concentrate more on the animals and not try to make the show into a soap opera. Now that Jim and Triss are heading off to war, what are they going to do? Make this the Siegfried and Mrs. Hall show?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I don't think the drama has sunk to soap level, even though I rolled my eyes at some scenes. Well, maybe parts of the latest CS, which imho was just... bad.

I'm generally for more animal stories (although I'm happy with episodes light on them when they turn out as excellent as 'Edward.') And the story with the sweet howling dog just went nowhere, that was definitely weird.

I also missed seeing more of Mrs Hall & Dash, since they made so much of their bond for exactly one episode.

I'm generally fine with deviations from the books as long as they're well written and engaging.

Siegfried and Mrs Hall show? Don't threaten me with a good time! *

*Well, unless it's written as tropey as the CS...

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2

My memory of the story about the howling dog in the book is that it didn't really go anywhere there, either. It was just a funny anecdote. Amusing to read, but not exactly the stuff a television drama is made of. Most of the stories in the book are like that. They were written as fictionalised memoirs and were always going to need considerable re-working to make a television drama out of them. It's a completely different medium, with very different narrative and structural requirements. Then, television in the 2020s also has different requirements than television in the 1980s did, which is why this show departs from the earlier adaptation. And that's okay. Because it means there are three different versions, each with something different to offer. Something for everyone.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I guess what bothered me most about the dog story was that she was whining after surgery, and they basically left her alone and said it was nothing. If a dog does that, she's either in pain or disoriented or just needs her humans... I suppose that at the time the show takes place, they didn't see it like that.

Btw, wasn't that the same dog that later half-climbed on Siegfried's lap? Too cute!

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 1

From memory, in the book they just said the howling was a thing that sometimes happened after surgery, some kind of side effect of the anaesthetic that they just had to wait out. They didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with the animal, other than being rendered slightly loopy by the drugs. The main gist of the story was how off-putting it was, having to go about their business with this dog randomly howling in the background.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

From memory, in the book they just said the howling was a thing that sometimes happened after surgery, some kind of side effect of the anaesthetic that they just had to wait out. They didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with the animal, other than being rendered slightly loopy by the drugs. The main gist of the story was how off-putting it was, having to go about their business with this dog randomly howling in the background.

I learned this when I was a vet tech. Sometimes they howl like that as the anesthesia wears off. The funny part was they kept leaving Tristan to watch over the dog and by the time the anesthetic did wear off, he was a gibbering wreck.

• Like 3

A very good question that modern vets ask. One of my Labs howls like a banshee after anesthesia, and my vet told me that she sees it all the time. Other symptoms and the type of procedure are clues to whether it might be pain-related (which of course she treats). There's a wonderful video on Youtube of a vet cuddling and comforting a puppy with post-anesthesia vocalizations.

• Like 6

I just finished watching the whole thing. I never read the book. So had no idea what happens or if it was a close adaptation. Anyhow I enjoyed it a lot. Are they making a 4th season?

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone else thought Tristan was just British Tom Paris (Star trek Voyager). He is a kind a screw up but a likable one, a ladies guy but you know he is going to find "the one" eventually. I think that the bartenders husband will die and he'll end up with her.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Yes, they

On 6/2/2023 at 4:51 AM, blueray said:

I just finished watching the whole thing. I never read the book. So had no idea what happens or if it was a close adaptation. Anyhow I enjoyed it a lot. Are they making a 4th season?

Yes, they are currently filming!

Some articles with mild spoilers:

As for the character comparison... idk, maybe in very very very broad strokes they are very remotely similar... but I don't really see it.I guess they both had something of a redemption arc. Then again, I always thought TP was one of the least interesting Voyager characters, which is saying something. (I'm saying this lovingly.) Unlike - love him or hate him - Tristan.

Edited by ofmd
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
On 6/3/2023 at 6:00 AM, ofmd said:

Yes, they

Yes, they are currently filming!

Some articles with mild spoilers:

As for the character comparison... idk, maybe in very very very broad strokes they are very remotely similar... but I don't really see it.I guess they both had something of a redemption arc. Then again, I always thought TP was one of the least interesting Voyager characters, which is saying something. (I'm saying this lovingly.) Unlike - love him or hate him - Tristan.

Wait! What happened with Callum Woodhouse?!  Why did he part ways with the show for Season Four?! It took a lot for me to get warmed up to Mr. Woodhouse as Tristan because I'd liked Mr. Davidson's OS performance.

Spoiler

OK, I see that what's done is done and they now have one James Anthony-Rose playing Tristan. I'll do my best to give him a chance but I'm not sure the chemistry will work as well. For one thing, Mr. Woodhouse is somewhat beefy and strapping so one could believe that HIS Tristan could actually stand up for himself to the force-of-nature Siegfried (Timothy West) whereas this newbie seems a bit more slightly built so the viewer can't be so sure he won't be completely blown out of the water by Siegfried.

9 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Wait! What happened with Callum Woodhouse?!  Why did he part ways with the show for Season Four?! It took a lot for me to get warmed up to Mr. Woodhouse as Tristan because I'd liked Mr. Davidson's OS performance.

Hide contents

OK, I see that what's done is done and they now have one James Anthony-Rose playing Tristan. I'll do my best to give him a chance but I'm not sure the chemistry will work as well. For one thing, Mr. Woodhouse is somewhat beefy and strapping so one could believe that HIS Tristan could actually stand up for himself to the force-of-nature Siegfried (Timothy West) whereas this newbie seems a bit more slightly built so the viewer can't be so sure he won't be completely blown out of the water by Siegfried.

I don't think Callum Woodhouse has been replaced as Tristan. The article speculates that the new cast member seen on site might be a new vet working at the practice to cover Tristan's absence, as he was called to active service at the end of the last season.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I don't think Callum Woodhouse has been replaced as Tristan. The article speculates that the new cast member seen on site might be a new vet working at the practice to cover Tristan's absence, as he was called to active service at the end of the last season.

That's a relief but the article's title and verbage within sure was confusing. .but then again I read it through the filter so I wouldn't have to agree to any cookies!

If this newer performers is playing a new character, I wonder if they'll try to make him like the OS Callum Buchanan  or will he be totally original? BTW Mr. Herriot had NOT had the latter character in his books but it strictly concocted due to the temporary unavailability of Mr. Davison to play Tristan in the latter part of the OS.

Edited by Blergh

I think the article words it a little confusingly, but I definitely read it as a replacement for Tristan at the vet practice, rather than a replacement for Callum as Tristan.

We'll have to wait and see how it plays out!

• Like 7

I read that they will introduce Richard Carmody in series four, presumably to take the place of Tristan.  In the books, Carmody was a minor character in one chapter of the second book. A student interning with the practice for a short time. An interesting character, rather upper-class and proper who met his match in a large animal practice but went on to greatness in the field of veterinary medicine.  In this version of the show, who knows what he’ll become.  Love interest for Mrs. Hall?  Could go just about anywhere. I’m sure they’ll surprise me.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, limecoke said:

I read that they will introduce Richard Carmody in series four, presumably to take the place of Tristan.  In the books, Carmody was a minor character in one chapter of the second book. A student interning with the practice for a short time. An interesting character, rather upper-class and proper who met his match in a large animal practice but went on to greatness in the field of veterinary medicine.  In this version of the show, who knows what he’ll become.  Love interest for Mrs. Hall?  Could go just about anywhere. I’m sure they’ll surprise me.

That tallies with the discussion up-thread about a new character coming in to take Tristan's place at the surgery. From the book character description you give, I can see plenty of potential for fish-out-of-water stories about the newbie without ever needing to touch on his love life. We'll have to wait and see how he plays on-screen, though.

• Like 2

Even though the show is not airing here until next year, I today received a mailing from the PBS affiliate, talking about the show. They also mention the addition of a female character, who will be a bookkeeper, framing it as helping take the pressure off the practice now that Tristan is at war.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/all-creatures-great-and-small-season-4-new-and-returning-cast/?subscriber=true&list_id=general

• Like 3

All Creatures Great and Small Season 4      January 7, 2024      Masterpiece on PBS     9 pm

The fourth season of All Creatures Great and Small will pick up in springtime of 1940 with change on the horizon for everyone in Skeldale House. James and Helen wonder when the right time might be to start a family, not knowing whether or not James will be called up to serve in the RAF. Tristan’s absence is felt by all, but no one more than Siegfried who attempts to hold the growing household, and himself, together as he braves this new world. Mrs Hall and Helen’s friendship blossoms as they look to the future and new trainee veterinary student Richard Carmody arrives, causing complications in the house.
ACGAS-S4-FIRST-LOOK-5-Richard-Carmody-Ja
ACGAS-S4-FIRST-LOOK-1-L-Helen-Herriot-Ra
ACGAS-S4-FIRST-LOOK-4-L-James-Herriot-M-

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 14
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/23/2023 at 11:46 AM, DonnaMae said:

That was a very good movie, sad, but the ending was good.  I wonder why they didn't let the local farmers have the horses.  It was a shame that they had to kill perfectly healthy animals.

I just watched this episode on DVD last night. The was a line where the other officer told Siegfried that Belgium and another country I cannot recall wanted the horse shipped to them, but not alive. I took this to mean that they would have been butchered for their meat.

I think a great many of those horses would have had PTSD and not been able to return to a normal farm life,

On 1/23/2023 at 6:04 PM, iMonrey said:

The officer said they were giving the horses to the Belgiums and the French and that it would be too expensive to ship them live. I took that to mean they were being given as meat? Possibly for dogs or livestock. I dunno. 

Made my above (turns out unnecessary) comment before I came to this one.

The meat would have been for human consumption.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Mind Blown 1
4 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

Why would a veterinarian be sent to the RAF?

I think at a certain point the manpower needs outweighed what everyone's preexisting occupation was, especially with the transition to a mechanized military. (Though there were still far more animals used in the service in WWII than one would initially think.) The real guy served in the RAF and did flight training before being grounded due to medical issues, despite being a qualified veterinarian. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I didn’t love the trailer. I think the best source material is disproportionately in the Herriot stories set pre-WWII, and I can’t think of one story featuring kids/parenthood that I especially liked. (Though his real life son’s memoir was excellent!)

But this show does go its own way with its own interpretations, so hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

Why would a veterinarian be sent to the RAF?

Because men who enlisted were, for the most part, not deployed according to their qualifications but according to strategic need. The individual did not get to pick and choose, they simply signed up and were assigned to a branch of the armed forces according to the criteria of the recruiting board (X spots to fill in the RAF, Y spots to fill in the Navy, Z spots to fill in the Army) and from there to a regiment that had spaces to fill. In wartime, all that really matters is getting boots on the ground. There were particular specialist skills that would have been looked out for, but the need for veterinarian officers was less in WWII than WWII, so a vet signing up was mostly just another warm body to fill the ranks rather than a specialist skill to be assigned a particular role.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Well, I'm glad to have them back. My two most wholesome shows premiering the same week!

The first half or third of the episode was pretty bleak, and Siegfried was insufferable. Was it just the tobacco deprivation, or is he kind of rattled by the Audrey/ Gerald relationship?

Anyway, he did turn things around.

I'm glad James could save the dog. I love sighthounds. Though I believe James' reasoning (didn't quite catch it... the hybrid gene?) was bogus, plus the dog seemed quite purebred to me.

I'll probably sound unkind, but I'm already bored by the Helen and James want to have children and suddenly there are tons of children everywhere just so they can stare at them longingly theme...

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

People who live in attics shouldn't get broody. 

As usual James meets a difficult situation, everybody tells him that yeah things have been tough for x but what can you do? And as soon as James tries to do something everybody tells him what he's doing wrong. And by everybody I mean Helen.

And I'm sure the boy's great-grandmother is happy that she now has to live alone.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

As usual James meets a difficult situation, everybody tells him that yeah things have been tough for x but what can you do?

I thought Siegfried's initial dismissiveness was very ooc; at the very least, he would have cared about not spreading distemper any further.

On the bright side, I kinda like how quickly they seem to get rid off the Mrs-Hall-is-technically-still-married problem. Although I wonder if Mr Hall will make an appearance.

• Like 1