Type keyword(s) to search

All Creatures Great And Small (2021) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

If you are a contributor, the PBS app has the entirety of Season 3 now available. I just finished with episode 1, and I thought it was the perfect wedding for these two.

Even better, though, was the constant threat of the war in the background, from the very beginning of the hour. I was wondering how they would handle the buildup to September 1st, and they answered that right away.

Loved the scene between Mrs. Hall and Helen before the wedding. That was well written, with the memories and the fears of the future both included. Also loved Helen winding her dad up! 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

S3E1: Keep track of  your own ring, for godsake! Why does TV think there's fun to be had in the drama of losing a ring? Also, if you have a dog or cat around, don't leave food they like in reach. I felt terrible for the dog who was given emetics.

This show always has the most beautiful animals.

Jess licking Tristan's face so enthusiastically made me think they'd smeared his face with beef fat. Otherwise, that dog really loves that actor.

And the guest dog, though a bit shaggy, was also quite personable.

And the cows were all gorgeous, as always.

Seigfried enjoying playing with the rat was also fun for me. My brother had a pet rat who was quite sweet when we were kids.

The war stuff  stresses me out. I'm dreading everything about that story element.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 5
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

S3E1: Keep track of  your own ring, for godsake! Why does TV think there's fun to be had in the drama of losing a ring? Also, if you have a dog or cat around, don't leave food they like in reach. I felt terrible for the dog who was given emetics.

This show always has the most beautiful animals.

Jess licking Tristan's face so enthusiastically made me think they'd smeared his face with beef fat. Otherwise, that dog really loves that actor.

And the guest dog, though a bit shaggy, was also quite personable.

And the cows were all gorgeous, as always.

Seigfried enjoying playing with the rat was also fun for me. My brother had a pet rat who was quite sweet when we were kids.

The war stuff  stresses me out. I'm dreading everything about that story element.

That particular dog “wommits” on a daily basis, probably because of his pica. Also, it was Tristan’s job to keep him contained so he wouldn’t eat the furniture. But I do agree, the ring wouldn’t have been an issue under normal circumstances. They might have slathered something on Tristan’s face, but some pets are just licky-loos! 
I thought it was a lovely episode all around. I especially loved the exchanges among Helen, her sister and her father. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

How does Helen manage to look so lovely in coveralls and sweaters??

She was just gorgeous for the wedding and I was swooning over her bouquet.

My husband the dog lover said that was his kind of wedding - 8 human guests and 3 canine guests 

• Like 6
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3

I don't plan to get married, but if I did, I'd definitely want a high animal to human ratio of guests. 

I feel bad for the Herriot parents. They are very gracious about James not coming back and helping out there, but it's clear they are struggling a lot. I hope he sends money at least. I never read the books. Do they eventually move to Darrowby to be closer to James and Helen?

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

Its great to finally see this show back on this side of the pond! The countryside continues to be gorgeous and the animals adorable. Those dogs were so cute, I can always appreciate a wedding that has almost as many animals as humans. 

The wedding was perfect, I was happy that it ended up being pretty drama free, other than the missing ring and James spending too much time on work because of Siegfried's somewhat unintentional guilt trip. Helen was glowing the whole episode, she looked as beautiful in her wedding dress as she did in her farm clothes. 

Siegfried playing with the rat was really cute. 

I like how they are handling the build up to the war, last season it was mostly in the background, and while its still not the main plot of the show yet its becoming more and more prominent as we get closer and closer. Its hard knowing what's coming and watching people try to hope that things will work out, although it seems like the characters are starting to get ready for the other shoe to drop by now. I don't know if Siegfried's only motive in making James a partner was to keep him from joining up, but I definitely think that was a part of it. Siegfried practically chased that recruiter away from Tristian and James with a hose, he can tell where this is heading and wants to keep them as far away from the war as possible, although I am pretty certain that James will end up going, having not read the books and avoiding hearing what happens next. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Was the dog on the pillow supposed to be Tricky Woo? Also, did the Show ever decide on a fate for Mrs Pumphrey (recast the actress or remove the character altogether)?

Yes, that ws Tricky Woo and they recast Mrs. Pumphrey after the death of Diana Riggs.  Not sure about the latest season, however.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I feel bad for the Herriot parents. They are very gracious about James not coming back and helping out there, but it's clear they are struggling a lot. I hope he sends money at least. I never read the books. Do they eventually move to Darrowby to be closer to James and Helen?

James's parents are not well off, no, but we have learned (I can't remember which episode) that with war on the horizon his father has been able to pick up work again - Glasgow was a major shipbuilding port, and warships were very much needed.

14 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Was the dog on the pillow supposed to be Tricky Woo? Also, did the Show ever decide on a fate for Mrs Pumphrey (recast the actress or remove the character altogether)?

Mrs Pumphrey was recast in season two, and I don't think it counts as a spoiler to say that she remains part of the show.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The wedding was perfect, I was happy that it ended up being pretty drama free, other than the missing ring and James spending too much time on work because of Siegfried's somewhat unintentional guilt trip. Helen was glowing the whole episode, she looked as beautiful in her wedding dress as she did in her farm clothes. 

Siegfried playing with the rat was really cute. 

Agree on all points! I didn't go back and look, but did Helen get a new wedding dress or did she reuse the one from her first wedding? I love how everyone just keeps working because farming is a 7 day a week job.

The TB plot was stressing me out - I was afraid James would have to put down an entire herd on his wedding day. Glad it was only one cow. I am not sure I buy that Tristan had never had to put down an animal before in their line of work.....I am still upset by the story where James had to put down Hugh's beautiful horse.....

Siegfried and the rat was funny - it reminded me of the books in which Siegfried is always poo pooing people's attachment to their pets yet always has a pack of dogs trailing him everywhere he goes....

I was not a fan of the ring subplot because it seemed so cliche and done a thousand times.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, MamaMax said:

How does Helen manage to look so lovely in coveralls and sweaters??

She was just gorgeous for the wedding and I was swooning over her bouquet.

My husband the dog lover said that was his kind of wedding - 8 human guests and 3 canine guests 

I cringed in season 1 when I saw the coveralls belted, but thought about it back then-no loose fabric on a farm!!! Got used to the look over the seasons. Anyway, there’s a whole department to ensure she looks beautiful. 
As there was only one eligible female in attendance (albeit underage), she might have gifted the bouquet to Audrey for her help, to her sister for her love, or even just kept it to preserve (would that be bad luck?). Yes, the last minute toss caught by Tristan was funny, but also a suggestion that the previously planned union would have been fraught with social “obligations”. A very tedious life for Helen in the end. 

12 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Agree on all points! I didn't go back and look, but did Helen get a new wedding dress or did she reuse the one from her first wedding? I love how everyone just keeps working because farming is a 7 day a week job.

I googled it and this was a different dress. I have to say, she looked lovely. The dress was gorgeous. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its hard knowing what's coming and watching people try to hope that things will work out, although it seems like the characters are starting to get ready for the other shoe to drop by now.

As for following book or original show cannon, apparently all bets are off now, plot wise, because Helen and James spent their honeymoon in the dales, “lambing”, not on a relaxing trip.  It will be interesting to see if they change the war trajectory of the story, as we saw the disappointment on the RAF recruiter’s face. Eventually, they all end up serving in the end. I was thinking perhaps the white-coated vet we’ve seen in past episodes is left behind to cope as he seemed too old for enlistment. They might even gloss over the war years, who knows?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

The TB plot was stressing me out - I was afraid James would have to put down an entire herd on his wedding day. Glad it was only one cow. I am not sure I buy that Tristan had never had to put down an animal before in their line of work.....I am still upset by the story where James had to put down Hugh's beautiful horse.....

Siegfried and the rat was funny - it reminded me of the books in which Siegfried is always poo pooing people's attachment to their pets yet always has a pack of dogs trailing him everywhere he goes....

I was not a fan of the ring subplot because it seemed so cliche and done a thousand times.

Tristan has had no difficulty euthanizing animals in the surgery with injections, he’s just never used a bullet or the metal horse gizmo in the field. I took this as foreshadowing (especially with the son’s obvious distain). Also note that the son did nod a friendly farewell to Tristan as he shipped out. 

• Like 4

I didn't hear anyone suggest taking an X ray of the dog to be sure he had really swallowed the ring. Do they have an X ray machine?

A while ago I heard a news story about a groom-to-be whose dog swallowed the ring.  The vet was not able to get it out in time, so the man handed his bride an X ray of the dog, showing the ring.

• LOL 13
8 hours ago, MamaMax said:

I wondered if we were watching a small wedding due to COVID restrictions. Shouldn't the entire town have been there? The same crowd that goes to Seigfried Christmas blow outs.

Also, that was a lot of decorations on that entire church for only eight people. Who sprung for all of that? 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

So glad to have more episodes. I am liking these fictional people so much.

I am betting the farmers son eager to enlist will be among the first wounded or fallen. Cliches are made of truth.

No matter what Siegfried prefers I don't see either Tristan or James avoiding military service.  There was immense pressure to fight even among men who were pacifists.  And most young men would have considered this war -with good reason - as a "just" war.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

Both Wight (James) and Sinclair (Siegfried) joined the RAF. James’s eventual participation is signaled in the opening by the manner in which he watches the fighter biplane cruise around.

Helen appears to have left her her wedding night apprehensions far, far behind.

Siegfried and Audrey behave like a long-married couple when alone together.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I am not sure I buy that Tristan had never had to put down an animal before in their line of work.

My guess is that it had always been with a needle/injection and that he had never had to shoot an animal.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Driad said:

I didn't hear anyone suggest taking an X ray of the dog to be sure he had really swallowed the ring.

I don't know if it was the practice back then, but my vet requires that the dog be anesthetized before x-rays, which of course requires some observation later on until she comes out of it.

12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Siegfried practically chased that recruiter away from Tristian and James with a hose, he can tell where this is heading and wants to keep them as far away from the war as possible,

From the photo of Siegfried and his partner that Mrs. Hall found, I thought that they were both in the Army back during WWI or soon afterward.  If so, he would definitely have an idea what service life will bring, and the chance of death or dismemberment was strong.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

From the photo of Siegfried and his partner that Mrs. Hall found, I thought that they were both in the Army back during WWI or soon afterward.  If so, he would definitely have an idea what service life will bring, and the chance of death or dismemberment was strong.

In a previous season, I'm pretty sure he's talked about the horrors of serving as a military vet in WW1. I'm pretty sure he also talks about euthanizing vast numbers of horses as part of it. I've read accounts of Passchendaele about horses (and men) drowning in the mud. I have no doubt Siegfried has seen some serious shit, even without being in a unit that fights in combat. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1

Re: x-rays, it was a plot point in an earlier season, when James's mother was so keen for him to move back to Glasgow, that Siegfried's little country practice is not as well equipped as the larger, wealthier inner city practice James spent a summer with between seasons. X-ray machines exist, but they are still a relatively new technology, especially for vets. Siegfried, I believe, does not have one, and probably could not justify the expense of purchasing one at this stage. The x-ray machine would only be helpful for small animals brought into the surgery, it would not be portable, and small animals are only a minor part of his practice, which primarily deals with farm animals.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 6
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I wondered if we were watching a small wedding due to COVID restrictions. Shouldn't the entire town have been there? The same crowd that goes to Seigfried Christmas blow outs.

Also, that was a lot of decorations on that entire church for only eight people. Who sprung for all of that? 

If portrayals in novels, tv shows, and movies are to be believed, decorations in the community church were handled on a rotating basis by the female parishioners. Large floral arrangements often came from their home borders, and they usually came together as a group to decorate for holidays and special events/visitors. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, Zella said:

In a previous season, I'm pretty sure he's talked about the horrors of serving as a military vet in WW1. I'm pretty sure he also talks about euthanizing vast numbers of horses as part of it. I've read accounts of Passchendaele about horses (and men) drowning in the mud. I have no doubt Siegfried has seen some serious shit, even without being in a unit that fights in combat. 

I think he referred to his war experience with horses when he was trying to become the vet for the racetrack. I don’t remember if he mentioned euthanizing. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, crankcase said:

The entirety of Season 3 can be viewed here.

Also on PBS Passport. I'm trying to resist, but I'll probably end up watching the whole thing by tomorrow. It's like having a big bag of potato chips in front of me, lol!!

• Like 5
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, crankcase said:

I think he referred to his war experience with horses when he was trying to become the vet for the racetrack. I don’t remember if he mentioned euthanizing. 

The movie “War Horse” was exceptionally harrowing to watch. Apparently, at the end of the war, some bureaucrat deemed it fiscally and logistically inexpedient to care for and return all those horses back to England. Even though every farmer was assured their animals would be returned to them, the heartless idiots ordered that they be destroyed. It was a very emotional and tearful movie to watch. 

• Sad 7
  • Fire 2
14 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

If this was shot about a year ago the first omicron wave might have made them decide against having a lot of extras in the scenes. 

Because realistically you KNOW the whole community would have shown up to see if Helen would go runaway bride twice in two years. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Daff said:

The movie “War Horse” was exceptionally harrowing to watch. Apparently, at the end of the war, some bureaucrat deemed it fiscally and logistically inexpedient to care for and return all those horses back to England. Even though every farmer was assured their animals would be returned to them, the heartless idiots ordered that they be destroyed. It was a very emotional and tearful movie to watch. 

I saw the play and cried like a baby even though they used puppets instead of real horses.  I couldn't bring myself to watch the movie.  I get why Seigfried would be traumatized having to kill all those beautiful animals.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
33 minutes ago, Llywela said:

In-universe, Helen probably wanted it to be very small and intimate precisely because her first wedding turned into such a public spectacle.

That totally makes sense, but I wish the writer had tossed in a line where she actually said as much. It could have been a nice moment between Helen and James (or Helen and Mrs. Hall or Helen and Jenny, etc.) 

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Because Mrs. Pomphrey couldn't be there, and she was expecting Tricki-Woo to tell her all about it.

She must believe that dog is half human.  What will she do when he goes off to doggy heaven?

• Sad 6

It may seem over the top, but some people really are like that about their pets. Mrs Pumphrey doesn't really have anyone else in her life. She seems to have no family at all. She is a very wealthy but lonely old lady, rattling around a big house all alone. To her, Tricki-Woo isn't just a pet, he's her constant companion and dearest friend. The only family she has. So she projects onto him like mad. She likes James, she knows that Tricki likes James, she wanted to be at the wedding but couldn't make it, so to her, sending Tricki in her place is the next best thing. The perfect delegate.

It would have made sense to her!

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, monakane said:

I saw the play and cried like a baby even though they used puppets instead of real horses.  I couldn't bring myself to watch the movie.  I get why Seigfried would be traumatized having to kill all those beautiful animals.

In my mind, to save Siegfried the trauma,  I imagine they didn’t call for a vet, just ordered the privates to shoot (and bury) them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Panopticon said:

That totally makes sense, but I wish the writer had tossed in a line where she actually said as much. It could have been a nice moment between Helen and James (or Helen and Mrs. Hall or Helen and Jenny, etc.) 

She did say out loud when Audrey was doing her hair that she never wanted the big to-do that Hugh felt was necessary, so she was happy that James agreed to a small ceremony. 

• Like 17
3 hours ago, Panopticon said:

If this was shot about a year ago the first omicron wave might have made them decide against having a lot of extras in the scenes. 

Because realistically you KNOW the whole community would have shown up to see if Helen would go runaway bride twice in two years. 

They may have been protecting the actress due to her age, but I think it more likely she wasn’t available on their schedule due to prior commitment. I also thought it was a clever way to keep her in viewers minds. 

• Like 5

Early in the episode, when the main characters gather at the dinner table, Audrey declines James’s suggestion she invite Gerald to the wedding that the couple had wanted to be kept “small.” The following dialog (completely absent from the video on the Dailymotion.com site, btw) ensues:

Helen: Sorry to you, too, Siegfried.

Siegfried: Oh, nothing to apologize for. I wouldn’t want any of them to get the wrong idea.

Audrey: Them?! … How do you mean, “them?”

Siegfried ducks the question at both askings. 

Siegfried clearly has no intention of settling down with any of the women he’s currently bedding. So what/who does he want? The answer is suggested visually, in a brief, powerful scene near the end of this season’s Christmas episode. (Where else?) NO PEEKING!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

She must believe that dog is half human.  What will she do when he goes off to doggy heaven?

She will probably get another dog and hopefully update her will to be sure that if she dies before the dog does, the new dog will go to a wonderful home where he or she will be well taken care of. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, crankcase said:

Siegfried clearly has no intention of settling down with any of the women he’s currently bedding. So what/who does he want? The answer is suggested visually, in a brief, powerful scene near the end of this season’s Christmas episode. (Where else?) NO PEEKING!

I agree with you, but do we know that he's actually 'bedding down' with Diana?  He seems too prim and proper to be doing that with a casual girlfriend.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Daff said:

I could never, ever watch that movie. I can't see animals being hurt or killed. I have never liked the Grinch, even as a child, because he was abusing his dog. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Daff said:

If portrayals in novels, tv shows, and movies are to be believed, decorations in the community church were handled on a rotating basis by the female parishioners. Large floral arrangements often came from their home borders, and they usually came together as a group to decorate for holidays and special events/visitors. 

I think the wedding was in March - those flowers in church and bouquet were not in gardens yet.

• Wink 1
27 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I agree with you, but do we know that he's actually 'bedding down' with Diana?  He seems too prim and proper to be doing that with a casual girlfriend.

I’m pretty sure it’s assumed as both are widowed. Last Christmas special, Diana declined the family gathering invitation and suggested he drop by on Christmas evening for a nightcap. Watch enough old movies and you know. It’s the subtle innuendo of language that is a treasure, rather than today’s vulgarity that insults both intelligence and the ear. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1