Type keyword(s) to search

All Creatures Great And Small (2021) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Excellent second episode! Even though I’m listening to the audiobook, I still thought that they had done a rewrite and had Tristan pass his exams, he was so believable. I really like his bonding with James over their issues with Seigfried. “What the Devil happened to my car?! Tristan!! HERRIOT!!!” Heh. Also liked how Tristan knew that James had passed his exams first time around—yes, he might make mistakes, but James is a smart guy.

In the book, he does go into how transitional veterinary medicine was in the 1930s. James’s mum mentions in the first episode that the motor vehicle has gotten rid of the main reason for vets, to take care of the primary means of transport, but the book also talks about how medicine overall was moving past patent medicines and home remedies, which the cow’s owner this week was all about. 

A lovely tribute to Dame Diana at the end.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 13

Mrs. Hall, I’ll have tea please.

Helen drives a tractor, looks as fetching in her dungarees as her evening gown...

Oh Siegfried...his moods swing from shouty to giddy about the drink and dance at Mrs. Pumphrey’s to compassionate buying a car at full price from Mrs. Hall’s Wren friend...

Jessie continues being a very good boy riding in the car with James to being petted the sitting room with Tristan and Mrs. Hall.

• Love 4

I haven’t watched the two episodes I’ve stored on the DVR yet, as I’m sure I’ll find this version as enchanting as the books and the original (and done with one, I know I’ll immediately want more). One comment I’d like to throw out there-I was excited to see Samuel West cast as Siegfried. Back in the original, Hardy was younger, and at the time considered a fairly attractive, charming, ladies man. Throughout the original series, however, I always felt his performances were a bit OTT (felt the same about that movie he did playing Prince Albert). I never got that sense from the books, and chalk it up to Hardy never changing his dramatic technique from stage to TV (you have to transmit via gesture and tone to the seats in the back). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

My mom was worried there was gonna be some drama involving the dog after he set it down.

I absolutely thought that was where things were going. Was relieved not to see it, though.

14 hours ago, Driad said:

The cow did not seem to be in pain, so I doubted she had a broken pelvis. If someone said (before the standing-up scene) that she had calved recently, I didn't hear it.

I thought maybe they were hazing the new guy, by not telling him, once we found out that's what had happened. 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I absolutely thought that was where things were going. Was relieved not to see it, though.

I thought maybe they were hazing the new guy, by not telling him, once we found out that's what had happened. 

He had already done an internal exam the day before.  Couldn't he tell she'd just calved?

• Love 8

Still beautifully filmed, but I find I'm missing so much of Herriot's humor from the books.  His storytelling ability is amazing.  Completely missed "Neville Longbottom" - even though I knew he was in the cast.  Liking Siegried's still mercurial yet more human personality this time.  Lots off character development this time, as opposed to the animal stories I more associate with the first series. 

Mrs. Hall has a backstory? Hmm.....

"Worm o' the tail" - ha!  one of the more popular Yorkshire ailments. And no wonder the cows often hopped right up after having part of their tails lopped off! Same as having a smelly, hot sheepskin draped over them.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

Still beautifully filmed, but I find I'm missing so much of Herriot's humor from the books.  His storytelling ability is amazing.  Completely missed "Neville Longbottom" - even though I knew he was in the cast.  Liking Siegried's still mercurial yet more human personality this time.  Lots off character development this time, as opposed to the animal stories I more associate with the first series. 

Mrs. Hall has a backstory? Hmm.....

"Worm o' the tail" - ha!  one of the more popular Yorkshire ailments. And no wonder the cows often hopped right up after having part of their tails lopped off! Same as having a smelly, hot sheepskin draped over them.

I'm in the middle of a book right now but I'm really thinking about rereading the All Creatures books again when I'm done.

• Love 6
On 1/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, peacheslatour said:

I first read the books when I was in my late teens and I loved them. I had a job a few years ago in a very small flower shop with no break room so I used to take my breaks, eat lunch, etc. in my car when the weather was crappy. Needing something to read, I brought the first book. I had to give it up after a week because so many of the stories made me cry and I would go back in upset.

A cat dies in chapter 9 of the third book, and I still haven't gotten over it. (I last read it in 1992)

• Love 4
On 1/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, limecoke said:

Yeah, I was pretty hesitant about a new version of such a classic series but I have to say that I really like it.  I read the books when they were originally published and have reread them and listened to the audio versions.  I also loved the original series and have viewed it several times too so here are some thoughts:

Huge props for casting an actual Scot in the role of James. It always bugged me that Christopher Timothy was missing such a key element of the real James.  I also really like the young actor-he seems perfect for the role.

I’m a big fan of Timothy West and he’ll be a great Siegfried. Still, I’ll miss the panache that Robert Hardy put into the role. The real Donald Sinclair loathed how he was portrayed by Hardy but everyone that knew “Siegfried” said it was spot-on.  

I’m not a big fan of the young Mrs. Hall. I understand why they went that way but it is such a departure from the books, it’s jarring. Mrs. Hall was a classic Yorkshire woman of the 30’s-40’s. Reserved, hard-working & taciturn. The new Mrs. Hall brings way too much 21st century to the role and it isn’t working for me so far. We’ll see. 

Helen’s perfect. The books describe her as “ahead of her time” so it works. But gosh, if they’d screwed everything up I’d still watch for the glorious Yorkshire scenery. I’ve been there and it’s every bit as gorgeous as it looks on film. Magical place.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Absolutely agree with everything in this post.  A real Scott,  Missing Robert Hardy and NOT the young Mrs. Hall.   Yes, Helen seems fine.

• Love 5

Not a fan of some casting decisions. James comes across as weaselly not affable. Mrs. Hall is too young, and her role is too large. And I don't care how old he is, no one but Peter Davison will ever be Tristan in my eyes.

I've been looking forward to this for months, but I'm disappointed so far. I was supposed to go to England last summer to tour Herriot country, but the pandemic pressed pause on those plans.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Daff said:

I haven’t watched the two episodes I’ve stored on the DVR yet, as I’m sure I’ll find this version as enchanting as the books and the original (and done with one, I know I’ll immediately want more). One comment I’d like to throw out there-I was excited to see Samuel West cast as Siegfried. Back in the original, Hardy was younger, and at the time considered a fairly attractive, charming, ladies man. Throughout the original series, however, I always felt his performances were a bit OTT (felt the same about that movie he did playing Prince Albert). I never got that sense from the books, and chalk it up to Hardy never changing his dramatic technique from stage to TV (you have to transmit via gesture and tone to the seats in the back). 

I have to say, back when he played Robert Dudley in Elizabeth R, I found him very attractive. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, QQQQ said:

Not a fan of some casting decisions. James comes across as weaselly not affable. Mrs. Hall is too young, and her role is too large. And I don't care how old he is, no one but Peter Davison will ever be Tristan in my eyes.

I've been looking forward to this for months, but I'm disappointed so far. I was supposed to go to England last summer to tour Herriot country, but the pandemic pressed pause on those plans.

After viewing Ep 2 last night I agree about Tristan!   I enjoyed the actor in Durrell's in Corfu, but not here.   Dare I say he's not good looking or charming enough as Peter Davison.   I hated the scene where he and James are running away outside from Siegfred about the damage to his car.  That was not something James would have done.    And yes, In addition to being too young, Mrs. Hall is a

major character here, so no to her.

Now to be really unpopular - Diana Rigg.   I adore Diana Rigg, and she was a perfectly acceptable Mrs. Pumpfrey.  However, the original Mrs. Pumpfrey was better, along with her excellent butler/workman.   I miss the old series.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I have PBS Passport so I CAN watch the whole season, but I love having something like this to look forward to every Sunday evening 😊

17 hours ago, SandyToes said:

Me, too!

Can I sit outside your window and binge the season?

I will bring Covid Abundance of Caution individually wrapped snacks.....

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Doublemint said:

After viewing Ep 2 last night I agree about Tristan!   I enjoyed the actor in Durrell's in Corfu, but not here.   Dare I say he's not good looking or charming enough as Peter Davison.   I hated the scene where he and James are running away outside from Siegfred about the damage to his car.  That was not something James would have done.    And yes, In addition to being too young, Mrs. Hall is a

major character here, so no to her.

Now to be really unpopular - Diana Rigg.   I adore Diana Rigg, and she was a perfectly acceptable Mrs. Pumpfrey.  However, the original Mrs. Pumpfrey was better, along with her excellent butler/workman.   I miss the old series.

OK,  I have to admit that this New Tristan (NT) was tougher to grow to like than the Original (OT)- mainly because Peter Davison has SO much innate charm that even his first scene  of throwing his luggage on James's back and ordering him about like a flunky didn't instantly turn off this viewer! In any case, NT seemed to try to coast on some charm (e.g. being a mail coach stowaway evading the conductor)  and even seemed to try to squeeze out James but the performer DID convey actual angst and sincere guilt re Tristan not passing all three exams- as opposed OT's annoyance about possibly being caught doing so. 

Also, I liked that New Siegfried (NS) initially had sincere pride in believing his kid brother had passed all the exams- as opposed to just arrogance that he had done so.   

Hence, it made the revelation re NT fessing to NS that he had NOT IMO a more dramatically and cathartically satisfying arc inasmuch as this viewer had more empathy for NS's having to have his genuine pride deflated AND for NT having sincere regrets over losing NS's remaining faith in him. It actually helped that (unlike the Original) NT wasn't smug  in believing that NS would overlook  his failures and lies yet again!  And I liked that the NS's explosion was given time to build up from denial to disbelief to being miffed THEN to exploding- as opposed to OS's instantly blowing up! 

Agree that Mrs. Hall was best used sparingly instead of as a major character AND that her being young and attractive (as well as an open cheerleader for all parties rather than being a diamond-in-the-rough but completely dedicated ) doesn't work as well.  Also, her given name of Audrey seems as though it would have been far too sunny for the Original Mrs. Hall (who also had no known offspring but was presumed to be a widow). It also seemed awkward that her pal who sold Siegfried that car DID find Siegfried attractive and openly wondered why sparks between Mrs. Hall and Siegfried weren't flying! 

Yes, Helen seemed quite fetching both in farmgirl coveralls as well as in her fancy evening gown for Mrs. Pumphrey's fete.

However, for James ( a newly  [and barely] employed) stranger to the Dales to have been swimming in the waterfall pool in the altogether seemed a bit gratuitous -especially since this wasn't by any means a restricted swimming hole. Yes, Helen had her laugh and James felt rather embarrassed but why should he have been surprised that she (or anyone else) would have shown up? I suppose we can be relieved (and perhaps consider it progressive)  that it was James bathing in the altogether and not Helen herself for that scene but it just didn't seem a particularly smart move on his part (definitely the OJ wouldn't have done that). 

OK, onto Mrs. Pumphrey. Yes, I cannot imagine anyone else to have done a better job with her (as this was written ) than the recently departed Miss Rigg but I agree that even Miss Rigg couldn't have held a candle (or a chocolate bon-bon for Tricki) to the wonderful late Margaretta Scott's iconic performance in the Original Series. Regardless, it was a treat to have Miss Rigg do this (and am thankful that the US Masterpiece folks DID do a nice tribute to her in the closing credits recognizing her direct contributions as its hostess for many years back in the day).

Also, her main servant named Marcel wasn't anything close to the downright antagonistic Original Series Hodgkins (who loathed Tricki as openly he could yet still being able to keep his vital Depression era job- and who James had to call out ). Marcel just seemed a  Continental flunky who had no problems indulging Madame in whatever whim she wanted. 

I was a bit surprised by James trying to insist on everyone in the barn trying to lift this rather huge cow at once. Even with all four folks doing so (and none of them happening to be Hercules), it seemed a doomed effort [and lucky that no one threw out their backs and/or got hernias],and I would have thought James would have tried to have them construct a pulley and hoist that could have worked. 

Of course, I knew that the sheepskin would spur the cow to get up on her legs. However, the whole point was for the cow to want to throw it off her back rather than keep sitting with it laying over her so for the cow to be depicted STILL having the sheepskin on and evidently not the least bit bothered by its presence somewhat made the whole 'old wives tale folk remedy' somewhat moot! 

Still, I have to say that the party as well as the Pumphrey Manor itself seemed a bit grander than in the Original Series (and it would have been interesting to have found out why she had invited Helen and her date to this swanky soiree). 

I agree that OJ wouldn't have ran with Tristan upon Siegfried discovering the car damage but it seemed via BOTH being in the Siegfried Dog House, NJ and NT were finally bonding re a common foil rather than considering the other a rival for the junior vet spot and nothing more! 

All the above said, I'm interested in seeing how this progresses. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Don't get too attached to this Helen. I read that the actress quit after the first season and we will have to get to used to a new Helen.

Well, the Original Series lost the Fun, Vivacious Original Helen (Carol Drinkwater) after  three seasons and the viewers had to make do with the Surly, Weary Replacement Helen (the late Lynda Bellingham) for the rest of the series. 

Both Christopher Timothy and Carol Drinkwater have made it public record that this was essentially due to the aftermath of their affair (and he had been  married with six children at the time) making it too uncomfortable for her to continue in the part! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Well, the Original Series lost the Fun, Vivacious Original Helen (Carol Drinkwater) after  three seasons and the viewers had to make do with the Surly, Weary Replacement Helen (the late Lynda Bellingham) for the rest of the series. 

Both Christopher Timothy and Carol Drinkwater have made it public record that this was essentially due to the aftermath of their affair (and he had been  married with six children at the time) making it too uncomfortable for her to continue in the part! 

I was looking for the article in which I read that this new Helen quit basically because she didn't have enough to do but I cannot find it now.  If anybody else comes across it link to it please.  I know I read this some place.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK,  I have to admit that this New Tristan (NT) was tougher to grow to like than the Original (OT)- mainly because Peter Davison has SO much innate charm that even his first scene  of throwing his luggage on James's back and ordering him about like a flunky didn't instantly turn off this viewer! In any case, NT seemed to try to coast on some charm (e.g. being a mail coach stowaway evading the conductor)  and even seemed to try to squeeze out James but the performer DID convey actual angst and sincere guilt re Tristan not passing all three exams- as opposed OT's annoyance about possibly being caught doing so. 

Also, I liked that New Siegfried (NS) initially had sincere pride in believing his kid brother had passed all the exams- as opposed to just arrogance that he had done so.   

Hence, it made the revelation re NT fessing to NS that he had NOT IMO a more dramatically and cathartically satisfying arc inasmuch as this viewer had more empathy for NS's having to have his genuine pride deflated AND for NT having sincere regrets over losing NS's remaining faith in him. It actually helped that (unlike the Original) NT wasn't smug  in believing that NS would overlook  his failures and lies yet again!  And I liked that the NS's explosion was given time to build up from denial to disbelief to being miffed THEN to exploding- as opposed to OS's instantly blowing up! 

Agree that Mrs. Hall was best used sparingly instead of as a major character AND that her being young and attractive (as well as an open cheerleader for all parties rather than being a diamond-in-the-rough but completely dedicated ) doesn't work as well.  Also, her given name of Audrey seems as though it would have been far too sunny for the Original Mrs. Hall (who also had no known offspring but was presumed to be a widow). It also seemed awkward that her pal who sold Siegfried that car DID find Siegfried attractive and openly wondered why sparks between Mrs. Hall and Siegfried weren't flying! 

Yes, Helen seemed quite fetching both in farmgirl coveralls as well as in her fancy evening gown for Mrs. Pumphrey's fete.

However, for James ( a newly  [and barely] employed) stranger to the Dales to have been swimming in the waterfall pool in the altogether seemed a bit gratuitous -especially since this wasn't by any means a restricted swimming hole. Yes, Helen had her laugh and James felt rather embarrassed but why should he have been surprised that she (or anyone else) would have shown up? I suppose we can be relieved (and perhaps consider it progressive)  that it was James bathing in the altogether and not Helen herself for that scene but it just didn't seem a particularly smart move on his part (definitely the OJ wouldn't have done that). 

OK, onto Mrs. Pumphrey. Yes, I cannot imagine anyone else to have done a better job with her (as this was written ) than the recently departed Miss Rigg but I agree that even Miss Rigg couldn't have held a candle (or a chocolate bon-bon for Tricki) to the wonderful late Margaretta Scott's iconic performance in the Original Series. Regardless, it was a treat to have Miss Rigg do this (and am thankful that the US Masterpiece folks DID do a nice tribute to her in the closing credits recognizing her direct contributions as its hostess for many years back in the day).

Also, her main servant named Marcel wasn't anything close to the downright antagonistic Original Series Hodgkins (who loathed Tricki as openly he could yet still being able to keep his vital Depression era job- and who James had to call out ). Marcel just seemed a  Continental flunky who had no problems indulging Madame in whatever whim she wanted. 

I was a bit surprised by James trying to insist on everyone in the barn trying to lift this rather huge cow at once. Even with all four folks doing so (and none of them happening to be Hercules), it seemed a doomed effort [and lucky that no one threw out their backs and/or got hernias],and I would have thought James would have tried to have them construct a pulley and hoist that could have worked. 

Of course, I knew that the sheepskin would spur the cow to get up on her legs. However, the whole point was for the cow to want to throw it off her back rather than keep sitting with it laying over her so for the cow to be depicted STILL having the sheepskin on and evidently not the least bit bothered by its presence somewhat made the whole 'old wives tale folk remedy' somewhat moot! 

Still, I have to say that the party as well as the Pumphrey Manor itself seemed a bit grander than in the Original Series (and it would have been interesting to have found out why she had invited Helen and her date to this swanky soiree). 

I agree that OJ wouldn't have ran with Tristan upon Siegfried discovering the car damage but it seemed via BOTH being in the Siegfried Dog House, NJ and NT were finally bonding re a common foil rather than considering the other a rival for the junior vet spot and nothing more! 

All the above said, I'm interested in seeing how this progresses. 

Excellent write up!  Couldn't think of the name Hodgkins myself, and yes the new house was much grander than that of the old series.   I thought Mrs. Pumphries home was too over the top.   I agree with you about James in the water--the OJ would never have done that.  Do you remember if Mrs Hall lived in?   I vaguely think she came in each day.   This new one is there 24/7!    I agree that NT ad NJ were bonding in that car damage scene, but I thought it was OTT and, again, OJ wouldn't have done it.    Enjoyed your views!!!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Doublemint said:

Excellent write up!  Couldn't think of the name Hodgkins myself, and yes the new house was much grander than that of the old series.   I thought Mrs. Pumphries home was too over the top.   I agree with you about James in the water--the OJ would never have done that.  Do you remember if Mrs Hall lived in?   I vaguely think she came in each day.   This new one is there 24/7!    I agree that NT ad NJ were bonding in that car damage scene, but I thought it was OTT and, again, OJ wouldn't have done it.    Enjoyed your views!!!

Though we never saw the Original Mrs. Hall's living quarters, but I believe she did   live in Skeldale House for two reasons:

1. She'd answer the phone in the middle of the night in her nightgown and robe with her hair down.

2. One time Tristan convinced James to bathe in bath salts (the perfumed kind NOT the drugs) that he said belonged to Mrs. Hall which she'd indulge in to make herself 'feel like Faye Wray' (though there's no record of any colossal  apes making a beeline for her). 

Thank you for the kudos! I'm glad you liked the write up!

• Love 7

I signed up for the Britbox trial and started rewatching the old series. I believe I don't need to watch this new version after all. The old one holds up quite nicely. Although I still find Tristan rather irritating.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Thanks @peacheslatour and everyone else who mentioned the 3pm Pacific showing, but I get so caught up in daily life (I like to get outside now- nice weather here, lol) that I just forget, LOL. 

My dvd request is “in process,” so I should be receiving it soon. Husband and I will watch one epi a night to linger on something nice, even if it does not measure up to the original, in our estimation.  😉  I’m going by upthread analysis here, lolol. 

About the possible change in  New Helens mentioned upthread: 

***Hubby still has not gotten over the Original Helen Switcheroo.  He always makes an “Ahhh” choir like angels sound, when Carol D. appears, then an “Ugggh” sound when Lynda B arrives. ***

But to be perfectly frank, the stories imo, just are not as good in series 4-7 anyway.  At least we had a hard time getting into them.  Just didn’t feel the same if this makes any sense.

ETA: @supposebly- interesting you should say that about Orig. Tristan. I have a feeling   I will find “Leslie Tristan” much more irritating. I had a crush on Peter Davison and found him very much “the debauched choirboy” as Siegfried called him.   Lol

Edited by Wonkabar5
  • Love 5
On 1/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, magdalene said:

It was an article that had Tristan in an elf suit for the Christmas special.  Well, I hope I am wrong but I definitely read she quit. Maybe she changed her mind?  We will know for sure eventually.

That would be interesting, since Carol Drinkwater has said in many interviews over the years that one of the reasons she left was because she felt there wasn't enough to do in the role.

Drinkwater Interview

Edited by QQQQ
  • Useful 1

I very much had the urge to leap inside the tv and sock that old lady farmer in the jaw. Leave poor james alone for crying out loud. His diagnosis was right. A big win considering his track record's kinda sketchy so far (due to lack of experience).

I'm enjoying james' and tristan's friendship.

Siegfried seemed more mellow this episode. It's the first episode i wasn't sitting on pins and needles while watching him. Proud of him for siding with James.

• Love 15

If they had been called earlier for the horse with the bowel torsion, what could they have done?  Nowadays probably surgery, but then?

What is Siegfried's car, the green one with the suicide doors?

Veterinarians need a special temperament. A doctor (who treats adult humans) once told me he had considered becoming a veterinarian, but he couldn't hurt anyone who didn't understand why.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I very much had the urge to leap inside the tv and sock that old lady farmer in the jaw. Leave poor james alone for crying out loud. His diagnosis was right.

In the book, it was kind of hilarious because the farmer was all excited to see the fabulous modern medicine the young whippersnapper would dazzle them with.  And the first two "amazing" things they see James do:  water from the hose, and epsom salts.  😆

I was all set to post how I really wasn't liking New Mrs. Hall, until her speech with Helen.  Awwww,  a mom for Helen now, sort of.  So I'm willing to give her another week.   I do like the bond James and Tristan are developing.  Partners in crime-ish, yet full-on support.  And I like the way Tristan recouped the money.  Since I'm rereading book one, I notice lots of changes, but am enjoying this on its own. A lot of Herriott's writing was funny - but the stories not necessarily.  One in particular (Ch 27 in book one - Siegfried's new suit coat and a gaseous cow) had me giggling at the doctor's office, but I can see how filming it the story would not be nearly as humorous.  So that's what I wrestle with. 

Loving the casting - Mrs. Hall is growing on me. 

• Love 6

I thought it was reckless to near criminality to bet on the horse who was rated 2nd after the one James had to put down. It makes it look like James "killed him" for the betting win. We know that's not what happened, but Tristan was clearly betting based on the information about Andante, and the village is already suspicious of James. 

• Love 8

This was my favorite episode so far! Feckless Tristan, wonderfully supportive Mrs. Hall, little touches of Helen/James, Hugh sticking up for Siegfried until he hears about his own horse, competent James who suffers over the darker aspects of his profession, and Seigfried with that  backstory anecdote about WWI and then fully backing James after the autopsy. I teared up with James both after he put down the horse and then after he was validated.

Oh, and Sexy Siegfried’s sexiness doubled once he put on that bowler! I normally don’t find those attractive (they usually bring to mind Monty Python’s “Twit of the Year” contest), but on Samuel West? Yum...

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 11

Definitely my favorite episode so far. It showed what they are all made of, especially Siegfried.  

That nasty old biddy -  boy, I had the urge to reach though the screen and ...well, you can probably guess.

This one made clear why not every animal lover has it in them to be a vet.  I am good with the cuddling and tending part but the other one, the really hard part,  I couldn't handle.

Mrs. Hall is a treasure, the expression "salt of the earth" was invented for people like her.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, magdalene said:

That nasty old biddy -  boy, I had the urge to reach though the screen and ...well, you can probably guess.

When I first saw her, I had my usual "Who IS that woman" thought.  Went to IMDB.  She played Esther Lane in "New Tricks," a series we just finished watching a couple of weeks ago.  Talk about different roles and different looks!!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought it was reckless to near criminality to bet on the horse who was rated 2nd after the one James had to put down. It makes it look like James "killed him" for the betting win. We know that's not what happened, but Tristan was clearly betting based on the information about Andante, and the village is already suspicious of James. 

I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.  My thought about that bit was, surely the odds would have changed once it was known that Andante wouldn't be running.  It's not like his being put down was a secret--the whole village was talking about it!  I don't think Tristan's winnings would have been as big as he was expecting.

In addition to Siegfried's support of James, I also like the little moment of support from Tristan when the old lady asked for Siegfried to treat her cow rather than "the horse killer," when he said, "My brother's not available.  It's Jim or nothing."

Interesting that Tristan is the only one who calls him "Jim."

• Love 15

This was a very dynamic episode not just how the both the Farnons rallied around the slandered James but also it was interesting how quickly the entire community found out about the death of that Andante- the news sure seemed to have no class barriers! But I thought it helped flesh out James to have him go through intense angst over the death of that magnificent horse. Even believing that he had no choice but to put the stallion out of his misery, James felt horrible about having to do this (and would have even if his call hadn't been disputed).  Also, nice of Young Mrs. Hall to give Helen a break AND to encourage Kid Sis's trajectory beyond being a farm heiress! I thought for sure she'd have punished Kid Sis for having everything knocked over in the barn but, instead she used that as a means to stress WHY she needed to learn all she could about animals if she wanted to spend her life tending to them (and put her to work with the chores).  With Helen being more comfortable around Young  Mrs. Hall, could she start to do more than vaguely flirt with James before too long?  Also, I liked seeing Siegfried having sympathy for the fallen race horse even though it risked him losing that prized position. I think it's safe to say that Siegfried can express his caring for animals more openly than he can for the people in his life. 

Yeah, agree that that old  farm woman was needlessly snotty to James and good for Tristan for standing up to her on his behalf! At least they were able to save her cow from lead poisoning even though the poor bovine had to live with her afterwards. 

Also, amazed that Tristan's scheme to recoup the practice's funds WORKED but I wouldn't be surprised if in the days or weeks after the race the other townsfolk (who lost their bets) wouldn't start to at least wonder about  his 'luck'. 

Regardless,  liked how this episode seemed to help cement everyone's bond at Skeldale House. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6

Also, amazed that Tristan's scheme to recoup the practice's funds WORKED but I wouldn't be surprised if in the days or weeks after the race the other townsfolk (who lost their bets) wouldn't start to at least wonder about  his 'luck'. 

Did that happen in the books? Because I don't remember it.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Even Tristan showed veterinary competence when he was the one who figured out the lead poisoning as soon as he saw the board, but left James to take credit for the diagnosis. 

I like Tristan. Sure he is immature and underachieving but he is decent at his core and along with his older brother has supported James, especially during this horse crisis when it has counted the most.  I liked how he coldly told them his brother was not available - no trace of his usual charm there!

• Love 9
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Did that happen in the books? Because I don't remember it.

No.  In the book, Tristan lost the RECORD of who had paid, and so had to re-bill everyone the next month. And some a third time due to sketchy bookkeeping.  I kind of liked how he fixed things this time (albeit a little on the sneaky side) - a departure from the book - but as in the Outlander series, sometimes the deviations help keep things interesting for those of use who really know the book(s.) Little surprises along the way.

• Love 3