Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: The Devil You Know

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

As the fallout from her impulsive decision lingers, Rachel attempts to regain Captain Lee’s trust, but her antics annoy Eddie. Meanwhile, a demotion within the interior department sparks controversy, and Francesca feels lonely. Bonds on board grow stronger than ever as a romance heats up between Elizabeth and James while Izzy opens up about her painful past.

Airdate: 12.28.2020

• Useful 1
On 12/26/2020 at 10:01 AM, TexasGal said:

Izzy opens up about her painful past.

What is it that happened to Izzy that hasn't also happened to many of the other cast/crew members of this show? Did a sibling die? Did your grandma die at 89? Did your dad have cancer? Did Izzy find out a sibling is gay? Did Izzy realize she's gay? 

All of these are very sad and traumatic issues to go through but this one better be phenomenally astounding for me. After all this is a reality show and its purpose is to entertain. So far this season of BD has done nothing to surprise me or make me like it. I don't like it like I used to. 

Miss you Kate. ❤

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Lassus said:

Francesca is a terrible leader.  

Izzy is a miserable person.

James is brainless.

Eddie's wound like a drum head.

Rachel's a nutcase.

Everyone else is OK.

And Elizabeth is brainless too.

New guy is awkward (Rob).

Best of the show is new blonde stew (Ashling).

And I don't think Francesca is that bad...her and Rob and Eddie are most tolerable after Ashling.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 15

Did Francesca voice any complaints about Elizabeth's work the last day and night of this charter? It seems like Elizabeth is right. She can't please Frnacesca . Francesca is miserable. I so hope she is one and done. 

• Love 9

It was pretty shitty of Francesca to take back the stripes. It was Francesca’s mistake to give them to Elizabeth before she had a chance to truly evaluate her work. Elizabeth is a terrible stew and I find it’s hard to believe she had any relevant experience prior to BD but I think she’s just clueless in general. If it’s not something New Age-y, she’s not interested. Francesca takes every mistake and slight too personally.  Capt Lee pretty much told her she’s not getting a replacement stew so she’d be better off investing her energy into trying to teach Elizabeth something.

Rachel kicked ass in the galley again but I have a feeling she has at least one more massive freak out in her.  It might salvage this season. So far it’s been pretty boring.

Edited by nytonc
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, nytonc said:

Elizabeth is a terrible stew and I find it’s hard to believe she had any relevant experience prior to BD but I think she’s just clueless in general.

According to her own mouth she has been in yachting for five years.

Typically they award the stripes before they ever see them do any work. See also last season with Courtney and Simone. 

• Love 3

I love Rob but I’m not sure if this is him authentically or if it’s a just a reality show persona ( see how cynical we’ve become?).if this is really him he has no game but that’s always attractive, if you’ve had bad relationships.  If this is just a part he’s playing, then I’m going to be disappointed.  I feel for both Francesca AND Elizabeth. I feel Elizabeth’s frustration because she feels like she is working as hard as she can ( and maybe this is the best she can do) and Francesca can’t seem to communicate what she wants effectively.  I’m not sure why Eddie is still so pissed at Rachel ( though she is a realllllly obnoxious drunk) she came back and did a marvelous job - we’ve seen more obnoxiousness from other chef’s without the ability to perform the way she did. I like James ( though I wouldn’t want my daughters near him). He is who he is but he gets the job done.  And where is little Ash?

• Love 6

I really really dislike Izzy. She just seems like a such a bitch. Obviously what happened to her was horrible and nobody deserves that but I’m not a fan.

I guess I’m still missing it because Francesca doesn’t seem that horrible.

Elisabeth is so annoying. Couldn’t care less about her and James.

Rachel gets so weird when drunk.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, pieinmyeye said:

I loved Captain Lee’s line about the jackasses, hahahaha!!! Francesca, if they wanted to involve you in their conversation, they would have asked you to join them.

I also was answering (in my head) Francesca, we're on a boat. Everyone is involved in conversations, invited or not. Nothing was said that wasn't true.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Did Francesca voice any complaints about Elizabeth's work the last day and night of this charter? It seems like Elizabeth is right. She can't please Frnacesca . Francesca is miserable. I so hope she is one and done. 

The last full day of the charter was the when she screwed up the sheets and the rosé and that night Francesca had to work to get her attention because she was flirting with James. She wasn’t on service for the final morning and they left shortly after breakfast, she did manage to not gas the boat when working in the laundry room but that was likely because Ashling was present. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 14

Francesca could give Elizabeth specific feedback, itemize the things she had a problem with.

Ashling agrees that Elizabeth hasn't been performing up to par.  

From the previews looks like Elizabeth stays around because there will be some kind of thing between James and Ashling, which is probably going to cause friction with Elizabeth, who made out with him for a couple of hours in the hot tub.

OK these theme parties, I can see luxury charters having them but who would pack extra outfits or costumes to match those themes?  Makes me think it's a TV show thing mostly.  The only course which was French was the foie gras?

Rachel may be a great chef and a mean drunk but she's also a name-dropper.  Is half the stuff she goes on about really that good or just suppose to be good?  She wanted some fancy expensive wine for the dinner, which may be about name-dropping, since Bravo is paying for the dinner.  Or the restaurant is, to be on the show.

I don't know if any of the BD shows keep the same chef for two consecutive seasons?  They like to rotate them or maybe the chefs are too volatile and the chief stew and captain want someone different?

But given her propensity for drama, Rachel is probably going to be cast on the other BD shows, if she's interested.  Though she may flip if she goes on BD Sailing Yacht and her galley tilts at a 45-degree angle the first time.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 3

Rob standing at the doorway of the bar, looked the same as Tween Robbie did standing by the door of the gym at his middle school sock hop dances....awkward and waiting for his Mom to pick him up ....

Rob, think of Ches as a boulder and relax when she uses you as her boy toy.....

Elizabeth and James please drain and bleach the Jacuz after you two sex it up...yuck.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, pieinmyeye said:

Francesca, if they wanted to involve you in their conversation, they would have asked you to join them.

9 hours ago, Chalby said:

I also was answering (in my head) Francesca, we're on a boat. Everyone is involved in conversations, invited or not. Nothing was said that wasn't true.

If they didn't want to be overheard, they should've shut the door.  I mean, if you're going to talk shit about your boss, make sure they're not in earshot. Hierarchy is important, so calling a dept head a twat is not a smart move. Captain Lee won't forget that one, Izzy.

Plus, I feel like Izzy was bitching about Elizabeth the first charter and now they're BFFs? I get wanting to be there, but riling her up and telling her to go to the captain when you know she's a subpar stew is just wrong.

11 hours ago, Marley said:

Same.  Could she be more constructive in her criticism? Yes. But we've seen her be quite direct with tasks/assignments and Elizabeth still screws up, Didn't Elizabeth's intro mention past issues with Chief Stews?  Yeah, this certainly isn't the first time.

Really, really like the new deckhand. Hopes he gets invited back on another season.

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

According to her own mouth she has been in yachting for five years.

Mirrors what she told 51 Minds/Bravo.  Her online bio says 4.5 years of freelance yachting. Guessing that means she bounces around a lot (i.e isn't asked back or is fired). From her local hometown paper we learn that she's 30 and a wannabe actress.  Go figure.

Edited by snarts
add
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, snarts said:

Same.  Could she be more constructive in her criticism? Yes. But we've seen her be quite direct with tasks/assignments and Elizabeth still screws up, Didn't Elizabeth's intro mention past issues with Chief Stews?  Yeah, this certainly isn't the first time.

I noticed that when (guy-who-is-chasing-Elizabeth-I'm-no-good-with-names) was saying to Elizabeth-- you must have a lot of experience in yachting-- two stripes-- she didn't really answer. She just said "...... yeah, I'm second stew." Makes me wonder whether she significantly inflated her resume. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, aghst said:

Is half the stuff she goes on about really that good or just suppose to be good?  She wanted some fancy expensive wine for the dinner, which may be about name-dropping, since Bravo is paying for the dinner.  Or the restaurant is, to be on the show.

This seems a slightly weak criticism, though.  There are snobby name-droppers working everywhere.  There aren't loud obnoxious drunks who can't act responsibly stable working everywhere.

Looks like flip flops are a really poor shoe choice for the donkey sanctuary. Lot's of "hockey pucks" about.

And why did the people who didn't go to the sanctuary have to work? Seems pretty unfair. I guess they were all the heads of department, but still....

The best part of the show was the donkeys.  Did anyone catch the name of the rescue?  The woman who was in charge and showing them around was so kind, it is wonderful what they do.  I would love to donate to the rescue group.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 14
11 hours ago, Marley said:

I really really dislike Izzy. She just seems like a such a bitch. Obviously what happened to her was horrible and nobody deserves that but I’m not a fan.

Elisabeth is so annoying. Couldn’t care less about her and James.

Rachel gets so weird when drunk.

These are my thoughts exactly.

• Love 11

Isn't Elizabeth the one who nearly gassed everyone on the boat?

Saying "I'm improving, don't you think?"  Uh, lady you nearly sent everyone on the boat to the hospital.  You should have been busted to one stripe right there and then.  I'm still trying to figure out what the hell makes Francesca so bad.  Can you imagine what KATE would have done to this asshole?

Edited by Carolina Girl
As was pointed out, I meant to say "Elizabeth" and not "Izzy".
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

Isn't Izzy the one who nearly gassed everyone on the boat?

Saying "I'm improving, don't you think?"  Uh, lady you nearly sent everyone on the boat to the hospital.  You should have been busted to one stripe right there and then.  I'm still trying to figure out what the hell makes Francesca so bad.  Can you imagine what KATE would have done to this asshole?

Izzy is the tall girl who moved to outside deckhand from being a stew. SHe's the one trash talking Francesca all the time. 

• Love 1

Rachel is annoying AF when she is drunk.  I love that she wanted a bottle of Chateauneuf du pape and nobody chimed in, her visiting other tables made me think she was looking for wine handouts. 

I see no chemistry between anyone on the show, could the magic be gone?

• Love 8

I don't have any problem with Francesca.  It doesn't really seem to me to be producer machinations that Elizabeth can't complete a task without leaving an ashtray full of cigarette butts sitting on the table or some other dumb loose end.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, laprin said:

So Francesca is getting the terrible leader label based on what? Seems like if you hold your team to a high standard and aren’t constantly coddling them and passing out compliments for every wee bit of progress, you get labeled a terrible leader - if you’re a woman.

Yep, looks like it.  I don't see what she's doing so bad.  I guess she could be extremely firm with Elizabeth but Elizabeth seems about as smart as a box of rocks and seems to not learn but run straight to the 'she's so mean to me for noooo reason' line so what's the use? And with Izzy and the cook taking her side she's not going to change. (Chef? I haven't seen any credentials so I don't know for sure she's a chef.  I mean, she hasn't cooked for me or anybody I know.-- Insert Kelly Bensimon shrug and jelly bean pop to the mouth here.-- )  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

A very good episode. I can not get over the way Elizabeth keeps her cool with Francesca. In my eyes Elizabeth makes a few little mistakes, but who doesn't? At least she s a positive likeable person and she really tries. So what if she did not see the party lighting was still up? Whoever sees it, TAKE it off (10 sec job). So what if she did not take enough Champagne to the beach party? send the speed boat for some more........no problem whatsoever. She is great with the guests and I enjoy her warmth and kindness which is genuine and not pretended.

Francesca on the other hand is a very poor leader, with a horrible personality. I would tell her to fuck off straight away and not be as nice as Elizabeth is.

And Rachel? After the charter , I would fire her immediately, she is very strange. I agree with Eddie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, candall said:

I don't have any problem with Francesca.  It doesn't really seem to me to be producer machinations that Elizabeth can't complete a task without leaving an ashtray full of cigarette butts sitting on the table or some other dumb loose end.

That is why there is a first stew. To check on her crew and correct them when needed. Francesca is only criticizing and not giving any credit to her crew, and that can screw somebodies mind. If Elizabeth makes a small mistake, do not make it such a big deal. The guests seemed to be very relaxed and not worried about it at all. Francesca creates a bad atmosphere within her crew. She should chill out much more....  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, laprin said:

So Francesca is getting the terrible leader label based on what? Seems like if you hold your team to a high standard and aren’t constantly coddling them and passing out compliments for every wee bit of progress, you get labeled a terrible leader - if you’re a woman.

I called Eddie a terrible leader way before I called Francesca one.  And much like with him, she's also victim to Bravo's moron hiring.

But, for reasons, in my opinion, (a.) she's criticizing but not teaching, (b.) she's telling one staff to tell the other staff to do something when her entire staff is two people, (c.) she's not checking the work she has designated to her staff - which consists, literally, of WALKING BY, (d.) she's upset that one of her staff is talking about her behind her back, which is the most normal employee behavior in human history, (e.) she's upset the staff is not a family - it's a job.  

It's a hard world and a hard job in a hard setting, no doubt.  While people like to talk about the editors as omnipotent mind-controllers, which I don't buy, I can cop to "terrible" being an internet snark message-board oversell on my part. 

But I honestly do not think she has shown herself to be a particularly good leader, for the reasons stated above and elsewhere on the board.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Lassus said:

.) she's telling one staff to tell the other staff to do something when her entire staff is two people,

I haven’t seen her do this. She routinely tells Elizabeth what to do directly and Elizabeth doesn’t retain it.I saw it stated that she did that with the sheets but that isn’t what happened. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Lassus said:

I called Eddie a terrible leader way before I called Francesca one.  And much like with him, she's also victim to Bravo's moron hiring.

But, for reasons, in my opinion, (a.) she's criticizing but not teaching, (b.) she's telling one staff to tell the other staff to do something when her entire staff is two people, (c.) she's not checking the work she has designated to her staff - which consists, literally, of WALKING BY, (d.) she's upset that one of her staff is talking about her behind her back, which is the most normal employee behavior in human history, (e.) she's upset the staff is not a family - it's a job.  

It's a hard world and a hard job in a hard setting, no doubt.  While people like to talk about the editors as omnipotent mind-controllers, which I don't buy, I can cop to "terrible" being an internet snark message-board oversell on my part. 

But I honestly do not think she has shown herself to be a particularly good leader, for the reasons stated above and elsewhere on the board.

THIS.  

Elizabeth isn't great but she strikes me as someone who needs a supervisor who is going to instruct her on what her duties are and then give her feedback.  I think Bugsy would be a good fit for Elizabeth because love her or hate her, I think we can all agree that Bugsy does demonstrate what she wants in a positive, supportive way and is generally very encouraging.  

I honestly don't see a lot of differences between Elizabeth and Shane working under Francesca and Eddie, respectively.  Shane was clearly green, which Eddie knew, but he seemed to have no time to teach him much of anything.  I get that Elizabeth claims to have five years or so of experience but she's never worked under Francesca before so maybe Francesca should give her some instruction, before she complains to Captain Lee?  

And Francesca can miss me with being upset that Elizabeth would air their dirty laundry to other crew  members when Francesca herself is doing exactly the same.

As far as Izzy and Elizabeth shutting the door, does that particular bunk have a door?  I remember the boat from when Kate and Josiah shared that "room" and I don't recall if it had a door, since it was upstairs.  

I'm not a guy but color me surprised that Rob would give Francesca the time of day when Ashling is there.  

These guests were pleasantly fun and nice and genuinely appreciative.  Rachel appears to be a great, talented chef but a shit human being.  I have no issue with the cursing (although there is definitely a time and place and I never use blue language around my boss or clients) but a lot of issue at how much Rachel drinks and how unhinged she gets when she does.   While I didn't agree with Eddie's assessment of Trump and the virus last week (because no one thought it was going to be as bad as it was/is) I do understand his thoughts on Rachel this week.  She acted the complete fool, was absolutely rude to Captain Lee, left the entire crew in the lurch, which impacted their finances if that charter had to be cancelled, and then came back and acted like nothing happened.  If she had pulled that in a restaurant, I imagine she would not have been allowed back.  I do understand that Captain Lee was between a rock and a hard place and really was forced to take her back but Eddie's not wrong in his frustration that she was allowed to act that way and then come back.  (Not to mention having to carry her baggage off the yacht an then back on board.  Rachel should have been made to deal with her own luggage.)  

The donkey sanctuary looked amazing.  I can't believe that Eddie, Francesca and Rachel all stayed behind.  Why?  I mean, seeing the animals are enough reason for me but I would think that knowing Captain Lee was also going would be good incentive to let him see you in a more casual, happy light (Looking at you, Rachel.)

Seeing Francesca crying this episode about the crew not being like family -- is this the most crying bunch of BD-ers we've ever had?  What is with these people?  Get it together!  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lassus said:

Francesca has given explicit instructions to Elizabeth on numerous occasions, including warning her to take the toxic chemicals outside. Elizabeth claims to have 5 years of experience. This is not rocket science. The bulk her job is serving drinks, folding napkins and laundry. What’s to teach after 5 years? She needs direction and has been given plenty, but fails to follow them.

Francesca is checking the work. That’s why she’s so frustrated. If she was oblivious to the work that is not being done, including the small things, she would have nothing to complain to Elizabeth about. As an aside, I don’t know any good employees whose work needs constant checking and who would not be embarrassed to need  their boss to check their work. 

Elizabeth has every right to vent in private - not with a door open or  on the deck where other employees, including Francesca, can hear. This is not only rude, but subjects Franscesca to public ridicule and in the real world would get you sent to HR. I once was forced to fire a good employee over a similar instance. I say forced because once it went to HR and attorneys were involved, not much I could do. The employee being talked about was claiming a hostile work environment among other things.

It seems Elizabeth is the one critical of Francesca because she does not make her feel warm and special, while Francesca is focused on the work and simply wants to work in a cordial environment with people she can trust. 

I have yet to see what makes Francesca a terrible leader while Elizabeth is labeled an “okay” employee. 

Edited by laprin
  • Love 22
31 minutes ago, laprin said:

I have yet to see what makes Francesca a terrible leader while Elizabeth is labeled an “okay” employee. 

I walked back "terrible" and nowhere did I label Elizabeth "okay".  I called her "6th most terrible" for this particular episode, mostly so I just didn't end up a hater who hated everyone.

I'm fine disagreeing on Francesca, especially with the qualifications I've put on my criticisms of her.

5 hours ago, Lassus said:

Why do you believe Eddie is a terrible leader?

• Love 3

laprin, agree with everything you've said.  Also, is Francesca is so terrible, why is Ashling thriving under the same leadership even after being a late add?

Speaking of, Ashling was smart to leave that bitchfest and made it apparent from her interview that she supported the demotion.  If anyone knows what type of worker Elizabeth is, it's her. 

The only thing that surprises me about Francesca is that she's kept Elizabeth on service this long. Other chief stews would've relegated her to the laundry room and given Ashling a larger role much sooner.  Elizabeth's actions have shown me that she's not focused on the guest experience and lacks the ability to anticipate their needs (drinks, cutlery, etc.)

• Love 21
19 hours ago, snarts said:

laprin, agree with everything you've said.  Also, is Francesca is so terrible, why is Ashling thriving under the same leadership even after being a late add?

Speaking of, Ashling was smart to leave that bitchfest and made it apparent from her interview that she supported the demotion.  If anyone knows what type of worker Elizabeth is, it's her. 

The only thing that surprises me about Francesca is that she's kept Elizabeth on service this long. Other chief stews would've relegated her to the laundry room and given Ashling a larger role much sooner.  Elizabeth's actions have shown me that she's not focused on the guest experience and lacks the ability to anticipate their needs (drinks, cutlery, etc.)

Given the bleach incident, it is safe to relegate Elizabeth to the laundry? 😂

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 12/29/2020 at 5:03 PM, laprin said:

Rachel's a nutcase.

I'd be so happy if Rachel never spoke another word and just did fabulous cooking. It's the only thing (besides the beautiful scenery) that keeps me still watching this boring series.

On 12/28/2020 at 6:44 PM, Lamima said:

And Elizabeth is brainless too.

New guy is awkward (Rob).

Best of the show is new blonde stew (Ashling).

And I don't think Francesca is that bad...her and Rob and Eddie are most tolerable after Ashling.

Elizabeth is annoying and brainless!

• Love 6