Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Mother

A medical issue concerning Lena's pregnancy arises. Meanwhile, Wyatt turns to Brandon for advice; Mike tells Stef why he was at the halfway house on the night Ana vanished; and Mariana remains angry at Jesus for putting her in an awkward position.

Stef confronts Mike and Ana about his sneaking around.  He explains that he's been helping her stay sober and tells Stef to stay out of it and she agrees.  Lena has a dream about the baby and wakes up to hear the twins fighting.  Jesus and Mariana are still fighting about Jesus' promiscuity and Lena tells Mariana to stay out of Jesus' business and she makes sure that Jesus is using protection.  Wyatt asks Brandon for relationship advice and Brandon advises him to give Callie some space.  Lena is feeling sick and is rushed to the hospital, she is put on bed rest. 

I thought when Lena pressed ahead and used the sperm devoid of contract signed that was a humongous, stupid as hell move on her part, but keeping Brandon's secret about Dani just stole first place "WTF kind of parenting are you doing" from it. It makes no sense-Dani took advantage of and used a minor, and not just any minor but Lena's son, hers and Stef's and Mike's son, and yet she's just sitting on the truth still, insanity. She tells Stef about the pot but not about the sex? Oy vey.

And the next week reveal looks about as crappy as I thought it might, if only I cared more about the main players in the middle. Dani should just be set on fire and Brandon needs boot-camp.

It was nice to see Lena's mother show up, she truly is a rock for them. I wish she was on more, I like how she's able to cut people down to size in her no nonsense way, lord knows that bunch of egomaniacs could use it from time to time. I hope they're able to get Stephen to come back to play her dad, I've always liked him.

The Brandon kid really needs a few new facial expressions, he's not a bad looking boy but he appears to lack some of the fundamentals of acting, such as learning how to emote beyond a mopey expression.

• Love 2
(edited)

That was the most emotionally satisfying ep since Stef's father died even though the unicorn finale was a bit much. I was hoping Lena was seeing an older version of the baby for closure. And the tighter focus on the family together was nice. The show has felt a bit disjointed the past few eps with the Quinn's, dance team, Jesus love triangle, Brandon band, Ana mystery etc. it was nice to have everyone in the same orbit tonight.

My favorite Lena scenes are the ones with her mother. I am however glad we're not getting a baby. It just isn't what the show needs.

I fear though they were foreshadowing a Dani/Brandon baby with her and Mike thinking about trying and Stef's line to Brandon about when you have kids. I'm sure that who's the daddy will be revealed right as B&C are finally getting close again. God I hope nottttt.

Wyatt summoning Brandon to discuss Callie bugged. I really liked him as her friend when they were both kind of fringe people at Anchor beach who had some unrequited feelings for her. This clingy boyfriend who is basically choosing to be homeless just to be close to her with a mega complex about Brandon- I kind of despise. I really despise actually.

Loved Callie's words to Jude. Loved that Brandon's words to her were the impetus for them. It's a nice circular thing as they really are the two people who Callie lets herself be totally vulnerable with and who know her best. The show is really effectively throwing fans of the B/C pairing just enough crumbs this season. It's manipulative and I'm eating it up even as a non tween shipper. But I was glad they firmed up that her sex freak out was about Liam not Brallie love.

Jesus in a supporting comic relief role is by far the best use of him.

I want to see more of the Mike/Ana dynamic and how everyone else feels about it. What seemed a cliche plot twist with the whole blood on his hands thing is now morphing into something way better. Nice work show.

Edited by GildedLily
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought that was really nice despite what happened to Frankie.  I feel like a lot was resolved in this episode.  The pregnancy was in the sense that it made Lena realize how important she is to the family and maybe it made her realize that she is not meant to have a flesh and blood child of her own.  I loved what her Mother told her.  Her wanting to have a baby no matter what seemed very selfish to me at times.

I agree that she should have told Stef about Dani but with so much going on I'm glad she didn't.  The episode was drama filled enough imo.  It looks like it's going to come out next week anyway. 

Wyatt was pretty bold to ask Brandon for advice on Callie but it led to Brandon giving Callie a little insight on how she comes across and what her defense mechanisms do to those around her which in turn led her to talk to Jude and get him to open up.

Loved the monopoly game with the whole family and the tree ceremony at the end, it was bittersweet.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

Loved this ep but could've done without the precocious little girl and her magically curative Frankiecorn. The tree ceremony was a beautiful and realistic way to honor little Frankie, we didn't need the mother/daughter angel duo from out of nowhere. Took me completely out of the scene.

• Love 5

Well, I cried for sure during that episode!! The part at the end with the little girl and the "Frankie" stuffed toy was admittedly too contrived, but it still tugged at the heartstrings. I loved seeing Lorraine Toussaint ! She can do no wrong if you ask me!

I do think that the lesson Brandon gave Callie about shutting people out was important and it's great it inspired her to give Jude advice; it really is nice. But it is a little bit irritating that she gave him a talk just before that time about how nobody can force him to talk until he's ready. Just seems conflicting. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Man, and I thought last week's episode was fantastic... this was even better!

- Sad that Lena lost the baby, though it was expected. (I did wonder, for a moment, if they'd go the special needs preemie route.) I thought it was a little weird how quickly this happened, though. Even that line about it happening "overnight" wasn't enough. I loved Lena's conversation with her mom, so glad that she vocalized what I think has been on her mind for ages. The little girl with the unicorn named Frankie was far too much but whatever, I was ugly crying anyway.

- Yucko @ Mike and Dani planning to have a kid. That sicko... sleeps with his son, then wants to have a baby with him?! What kind of demented shit is this??? Looking forward to it coming out next week.

As for Mike and Ana... I think I like his reasoning for helping Ana, though I'm very worried that she'll mess things up for them if and when she slips. And I'd like to know if who he bloodied up (one of the hecklers at the bar?) will be an issue in the future.

- I really disliked the conversation between Wyatt and Brandon about Callie because it brought back Broody Brandon and I can't stand that version of him. However, it was worth it in the end for his conversation with Callie, which led to her conversation with Jude and Wyatt. I was worried they'd have Callie keep it from Wyatt in order to strengthen the whole Brallie business but this is much better, shipping BS aside.

- As for Jude... I loved what Callie said, it made a lot of sense, and that his first words were just, "OK". Not so sure I liked his entire monologue that followed, a little too, "suddenly cured," for me but it does fit in with who he is, these thoughtful speeches.

- Jesus is probably going to be one of those pushy salesmen who works his way up the ladder to become the CEO of a major chain. LOL. I wonder if they're still going to sell the bed... kinda hope they do. ETA: @SparklesBitch just reminded me that they did sell it. Doh.

- The set up for Mariana and the band guy is so cheesy rom-com... and for how insecure and flip-floppy she is, I don't see why he'd find her appealing. Whatever!

Edited by omgsowicked

I fear though they were foreshadowing a Dani/Brandon baby

Oh, I really hope not. Were that the case, I would assume (and hope) that Dani would end up in prison for essentially raping Brandon (you can't get much more evidence than a baby), which would leave Stef and Lena to raise their grandchild. Yikes. That would certainly be ironic....they'd end up with a baby in the house, only Lena STILL wouldn't be genetically related to the kid. Unless of course Dani has an abortion, which I can see this show doing.

Loved the monopoly game with the whole family and the tree ceremony at the end, it was bittersweet.

Me too, especially the Monopoly game. The little family moments are my favorite thing about this show. I also adored Stef and Lena cuddling in bed, and Stef driving Lena crazy by taking care of her a little too well. Too cute. I'm such a sucker for these two women. =) Oh, and Stef pulling Jude toward her during the Monopoly game and gently teasing that they miss his sweet voice and snuggling him a little. Sometimes this show makes my heart all warm and cozy. =)

But it is a little bit irritating that she gave him a talk just before that time about how nobody can force him to talk until he's ready. Just seems conflicting.

I completely agree. She did a total 180 in what had to be less than 24 hours time. I get that talking to Brandon made her realize her own patterns of shutting people out and that she was genuinely trying to help by passing that wisdom on to Jude, but that bugged me. I usually love Callie and Jude scenes, but she annoyed me here. I wanted to shake her and explain that she's got to let him open up when he's ready to. Yes, talking and letting people in is nice and all, but some people need more time to process on their own before they're ready for that. That being said, I loved their little scene with the planting. Very well done.

I was pleasantly surprised by Jesus this week, he actually cracked me up. One thing about the bed though, whatever the comment the Asian woman made about Lena being clean...was that supposed to be some sort of racially motivated comment, or was it just supposed to be just a random, weird question? At first I thought the question was, "do you clean?" but then Jesus said something about Lena showering and it got weird. I kind of liked Lena stepping in and saying she had a wife though, and was that a problem? And also Stef later stepping in and selling the thing for $1000.

Loved Lena's mom! That woman is wonderful and I loved her chat with Lena about what it really means to be a mom. I AM kind of surprised that none of the kids have ever pulled the whole "you're not my real mom!" thing on Lena yet, especially Brandon when he was young because he had his "real" mom also living in the house. Come to think of it, I'm sort of surprised the twins never pulled that on Stef either. It just seems like a fear that she should be past by this late stage in the kids' lives because I feel like it should have happened by now.

Lastly, I think I adore Mike. I can't help it, I just love that he's trying to do something right the best way he knows how to do it. I liked him defending himself to Stef, even though she was right to point out the potential pitfalls in this situation.

Can't wait to see the situation with Dani and Brandon blow up next week!!!!!

One last thing....Teri Polo's facial expressions blow me away. Between Stef hearing about why Mike is helping Dani and getting all choked up, to the absolute terror that that came over her when she realized she could lose Lena if they tried to let the pregnancy continue, to even just the little moments when she's all blissed out cuddled up in bed with Lena...I just really love watching her.

Yucko @ Mike and Dani planning to have a kid. That sicko... sleeps with his son, then wants to have a baby with him?! What kind of demented shit is this??? Looking forward to it coming out next week.

Even without the raping Brandon, Mike has known this woman for how long now? A few months? Why are you in such a rush to have a kid with someone you barely know? He hasn't even been a year sober. Technically. Due to his little slips when shit gets real in his life. 

I think I might have cried the whole way through that last half hour. I just can't deal with dead baby/child storylines. And don't let them die of cancer you can't talk to me for the whole night after that. 

I wasn't annoyed with Lena not telling Stef the whole truth about Brandon because it felt there was already a whole lot going on this episode. It makes more sense to have that storyline take up the bulk of the next episode, which I'm sure it will. 

How much time has elapsed since Brandon told Lena about the rape? Is it just a couple of days, half of which she was in the hospital? I really wanted to see the scene where she told Stef. Did she stop halfway because Stef went nuts and wanted to talk to Brandon about the pot immediately, thus cutting off the chance to talk about the rape? It seemed like she was planning to tell Stef, but by the time Stef got home from stalking mike, Lena was in the hospital. Still-- we really needed to see how that conversation went, and why she only told part of the story. Did she tell Brandon she'd give him a few days to tell Stef himself? What is going on??

Also, I liked seeing her yell at the twins. Not so much because of the specifics, but just because I have wanted to see her lose her temper and not be cool and calm all of the time.

I liked the reason for selling the bed (bad for intimacy) but I didn't find Jesus amusing. I'm starting to actively dislike him. It's bothering me. I don't want to feel like that. But even their attempts to soften his character-- like him giving Stef back the "commission" on the bed sale-- are just not working for me.

I liked that there was no implication that the adults shared with the kids the nature of Lena's loss of the baby. They made the decision and presented the outcome. It was a subtle thing, but Stef telling them "it wasn't looking good" for Frankie seemed just perfect for a parent, leaving the kids out of the complexity of the situation and internal struggle Lena was experiencing.

It hadn't even occurred to me that Lena was the only person in the house with no blood ties to anyone else. I guess that her insecurity is why she lets Stef take up the "bad guy" role (as per Stef's conversation with Brandon). I hope that she lets go of that fear and we get to see her be less cautious and reserved from now on.

I know the unicorn was heavy handed and cheesy, but strangely it didn't bother me. I have had weird magical-seeming happenings in my own life, so even though I wouldn't want to see that device used very often, occasionally in my experience the universe does work that way.

I feel bad for Mike. He sounded so sincere about his reasons for helping Ana. I can't decide if he's a naive co-dependent or just inexplicably innocent for a cop. I love that they had him describe his feelings as sin-- not that I particularly use that language,but it's a way the show allows its characters to be people, not cardboard mouthpieces for a perfectly polished particular cultural point of view. They mostly are, but they also breathe a little. I feel sorry for him when i think about how upset he will be when he hears what Dani did to Brandon. The rage and shame he is going to feel, the humiliation and revulsion-- I sure hope he himself has an excellent sponsor, because anyone would need a support net after that. One thing, though: he's lying to Dani about where he is when he's with Ana. That really should be a red flag to anyone paying attention, i.e. the Mike-Dani relationship is not really what he claims it is, not only on her side, but also on his. If you are doing something supposedly good, and lying about it to your partner, you don't trust her and she shouldn't trust you, either, really.

I don't think she ever intended to tell Stef about the rape right away.  I think she wanted more time to convince Brandon that he didn't do anything wrong and that he needs to tell Stef and Mike himself.  He's not going to be able to get past it if he can't tell them himself what happened to him.

• Love 3

Even without the raping Brandon, Mike has known this woman for how long now? A few months? Why are you in such a rush to have a kid with someone you barely know? He hasn't even been a year sober. 

Mike has said at least once since that terrible night that Dani saved him. He has convinced himself, or she has convinced him, that he owes her everything. Dani tells him (off-screen) that she wants a baby, he feels obligated to make her happy, and part of him thinks "another chance" because his shortcomings as a father are definitely relevant to the trouble Brandon's been in. I really hope she's not already pregnant and working to ensure Mike believes it's his when her crime is inevitably revealed. I can see her being determined to hold onto Mike by whatever means 'necessary' and wanting to make sure she has an 'insurance policy' against Mike, Stef and Lena's rage. 

I see the Brandon and Callie and Callie and Wyatt scenes as intended to show Callie is just not in love with Wyatt. There was an intimacy to that 'Braille' scene that I see lacking when she talks to Wyatt. The way Callie said "tried to have sex" came off like she doesn't truly want to sleep with Wyatt. MM played it like Callie told Wyatt she'd been raped not because she loves him and wants physical and emotional intimacy with him, but because she believes Wyatt is a great BF and felt guilty that he's so frustrated about her shutting him out, and desperate for her love, that he actually went to Brandon (the guy he's been jealous of) for relationship help.  

• Love 1

One thing, though: he's lying to Dani about where he is when he's with Ana. That really should be a red flag to anyone paying attention, i.e. the Mike-Dani relationship is not really what he claims it is, not only on her side, but also on his. If you are doing something supposedly good, and lying about it to your partner, you don't trust her and she shouldn't trust you, either, really.

That's a good point. I am not sure if this is something that will be developed or just something the writers failed to think about.

Dani is manipulative. She knows how to play her cards. It is totally plausible for Mike to fall for it and believe he owes her his life, or at least his sobriety. If you've ever known a manipulative person, you know that it can be hard to scape the traps. I just hope that the baby story is not because she is pregnant with Brandon's baby. That would be too soap opera-ish.

The magic unicorn and the angel girl also took me away from the story. It was not necessary and not even cheesy, just silly and it seemed misplaced in this show.

And as someone already mentioned, I felt there was a pressure to get Jude to talk again. Selective mutism is a thing, and it is not really "selective". 

Once more, I only liked Callie in the scenes with Jude. 

The Brandon kid really needs a few new facial expressions, he's not a bad looking boy but he appears to lack some of the fundamentals of acting, such as learning how to emote beyond a mopey expression.

100% agreed.

I admit it: I cried.  A whole bunch.  Lena's mom coming in was just perfect for the storyline - we know that they have a difficult relationship, but it was only when her mother came in that she relaxed and let her "I'm sure everything will work out fine" mask.  That worked especially well because Lena started to talk about not being related to anyone by blood and yet, here's her mother, related to her by blood, in spite of the problematic relationship, still there for her and convincing her in a way that no one else can.  Somehow, I don't think this is the end of Lena's insecurity, since the outcome kind of underscored how important her blood relative was to her.

But Frankie the Unicorn was WAY too much.  Even though that kind of thing happens in real life sometimes, there's a reason that it doesn't work in a fictional setting.  

• Love 2
I fear though they were foreshadowing a Dani/Brandon baby with her and Mike thinking about trying and Stef's line to Brandon about when you have kids. I'm sure that who's the daddy will be revealed right as B&C are finally getting close again.

I thought that too and am unhappy with that possibility. (Not because I ship B&C because I don't, but because it just seems more ridiculous over the top drama).

One thing about the bed though, whatever the comment the Asian woman made about Lena being clean...was that supposed to be some sort of racially motivated comment, or was it just supposed to be just a random, weird question? At first I thought the question was, "do you clean?" but then Jesus said something about Lena showering and it got weird.

It felt to me like a racist question too, I'm not sure why. I can understand the logic behind the question (especially when you think about the hippie looking guy going over the bed with a black light), so maybe it was because it was asked of Lena. I'm not sure I would've batted an eyelash if the Asian lady had asked Stef that question. 

I feel like Lena was trying to ease Stef into the bad news about Brandon. Just imagine the convo if she'd dropped all that knowledge at once. 

Lena: Brandon told me that Dani raped him.

Stef: What?! When did he tell you that?

Lena: When he was tripping on a pot brownie.

When Lorraine Toussaint showed up I had a momentary flashback to OITNB. I wanted to scream "It's Vee! RUN!"

I found the 180 that Callie did re: Jude's talking to be understandable. They were all at the hospital getting a lesson in how quickly someone you love can be lost to you. I started tearing up when he spoke but I agree with other posters that it wrapped up a little too neatly for my taste.

So, so, so glad that the show had Callie realize that her reaction to Wyatt was the result of rape trauma and not Brallie twu wuv.

I'll never get comfortable watching a pregnant actress play a miscarriage. I know they're professionals but I just don't enjoy it.

I'd very much like a translation of exactly what the Asian couple was saying to each other when they were bed shopping.

Frankie the unicorn was just bad fanfic.

• Love 3

I fear though they were foreshadowing a Dani/Brandon baby with her and Mike thinking about trying and Stef's line to Brandon about when you have kids. I'm sure that who's the daddy will be revealed right as B&C are finally getting close again. God I hope nottttt.

IMO when Dani/Mike brought the food she already looked pregnant...

I was predicting this too! My only concern is the timeline-so Brandon slept with Dani the day before Callie's adoption, right? And at that point Lena was just pregnant, meaning 5 months have passed since that incident (roughly). Dani might be able to hide being 2-3 months pregnant but at 5 months she should have been as far along as Lena was. 

Or do I have my timelines confused?

I'll never get comfortable watching a pregnant actress play a miscarriage. I know they're professionals but I just don't enjoy it.

She had the babies in May. Depending on when they film, this may have been filmed after the babies were born. I remember from watching live tapings of sit-coms they tended to tape only a couple weeks in advance. I don't know how they do it on hour long dramas. 

(edited)
Also, I liked seeing her yell at the twins. Not so much because of the specifics, but just because I have wanted to see her lose her temper and not be cool and calm all of the time.

I would have liked for Lena to have a conversation with Jesus about having sex responsibly.  And I don't mean just about using condoms, but about when and how to make the choice to have sex, and what that means to a person and the person you're having sex with.  Just because you're using condoms, doesn't mean you're making good choices when it comes to sex.  Condoms are the bare minimum; thought is also required and just as important.

Frankie the unicorn was just bad fanfic.

I think calling Jude, "Judicorn" on the show is also bad fanfic.  I hate that they do that.

Edited by izabella

I was pleasantly surprised by Jesus this week, he actually cracked me up. One thing about the bed though, whatever the comment the Asian woman made about Lena being clean...was that supposed to be some sort of racially motivated comment, or was it just supposed to be just a random, weird question? At first I thought the question was, "do you clean?" but then Jesus said something about Lena showering and it got weird. I kind of liked Lena stepping in and saying she had a wife though, and was that a problem? And also Stef later stepping in and selling the thing for $1000.

I think that was the lady's way of asking if that bed has seen a lot of action from a bunch of people. The next question asked was if there was a husband - and then they were fine with it being a wife. "Are you clean?" = "Just how many men have slept on here with you?"

• Love 1
(edited)

It felt to me like a racist question too, I'm not sure why. I can understand the logic behind the question (especially when you think about the hippie looking guy going over the bed with a black light), so maybe it was because it was asked of Lena. I'm not sure I would've batted an eyelash if the Asian lady had asked Stef that question. 

I didn't see it as a racist question at all, and saw it exactly the same kind of question the guy with the black light wanted answered. 

I think if race were really at issue, the couple would have gotten up to leave as soon as they saw Lena.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

When Lorraine Toussaint showed up I had a momentary flashback to OITNB. I wanted to scream "It's Vee! RUN!"

Thank you! I was trying to place the actress, I couldn't.

One thing about the bed though, whatever the comment the Asian woman made about Lena being clean...was that supposed to be some sort of racially motivated comment, or was it just supposed to be just a random, weird question?

I think the show was using the stereotype of old Asian woman. Not racist, but intolerant and prejudiced. I have noticed this stereotype in other shows too. Usually this is used as some sort of comedic relief. I don't find it funny at all.

This whole bed plot is so weird.  We've spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on this inanimate object, particularly for a show that has more than the normal amount of plot for the timeframe in the world of the story AND for the amount of time the show has been on the tv.  It must be some kind of in-joke among the writers.

• Love 2

I don't think she ever intended to tell Stef about the rape right away.  I think she wanted more time to convince Brandon that he didn't do anything wrong and that he needs to tell Stef and Mike himself.  He's not going to be able to get past it if he can't tell them himself what happened to him.

I was uncomfortable with Lena only telling Stef about the pot brownie so I hope this is the case. Otherwise I quite enjoyed this ep, even the saccharine parts like the little girl and her Frankie.

• Love 1

That was the most emotionally satisfying ep since Stef's father died even though the unicorn finale was a bit much. I was hoping Lena was seeing an older version of the baby for closure. And the tighter focus on the family together was nice. The show has felt a bit disjointed the past few eps with the Quinn's, dance team, Jesus love triangle, Brandon band, Ana mystery etc. it was nice to have everyone in the same orbit tonight.

I completely agree.  This wasn't a perfect episode or anything, but the characters' interactions were almost entirely with family and the emotional beats were just right.  I didn't cry (which is almost surprising because I practically cry at the drop of a hat when watching TV), but I got a little misty for sure.  I thought it was a really lovely episode.

I would have liked for Lena to have a conversation with Jesus about having sex responsibly.  And I don't mean just about using condoms, but about when and how to make the choice to have sex, and what that means to a person and the person you're having sex with.  Just because you're using condoms, doesn't mean you're making good choices when it comes to sex.  Condoms are the bare minimum; thought is also required and just as important.

I hope something like this is coming.  Right now it seems like Mariana is the only one talking to him about responsibility where girls is concerned and that's not right.  Okay, so he's using a condom when he has sex, so good for him, but he's being pretty careless with people's feelings and basically being very immature.

I said something last week about how Lena may wait until she's convinced Brandon that what happened wasn't his fault, that he was manipulated, that Dani is a predator, and that the guilt should be hers not his before telling Stef about the rape.  I think that would be a reasonable thing to do.  Because you know that once Stef (and then Mike) knows about it, the shit will hit the fan and that could make it difficult for Brandon to really focus on his feelings about it.  I guess we'll see next week how it all ends up going down.  

• Love 1
(edited)

My favorite Lena scenes are the ones with her mother. I am however glad we're not getting a baby. It just isn't what the show needs.

I agree with all of this.

I loved that we actually got to see the ENTIRE family together even if it was just for a couple of short scenes.  When they were in the waiting room at the hospital I almost fell off the sofa I was so surprised to see Stef enteracting with Jesus and Mariana.  They hardly ever have scenes together anymore.

The unicorn scene was heavy handed and I saw the name thing coming a mile away but I'm going to forgive them because there was so much other goodness in this episode.  Kudos to Sherri Saum who did a great job tonight and special recognition to Teri Polo who got the first tears of the evening from me with that pleading, heartbroken look she gave Lena in the hospital.  When you can make my heart hurt without even speaking, you know you are doing something right.   And of course, let's not forget Ms. Toussaint.  That scene between Lena and her Mother was so amazing it almost made the whole baby storyline worth it.   (almost.....)

And finally.....Horray!  That stupid bed is gone!!!!  :-)

Edited by Geo
  • Love 1

I see the Brandon and Callie and Callie and Wyatt scenes as intended to show Callie is just not in love with Wyatt. There was an intimacy to that 'Braille' scene that I see lacking when she talks to Wyatt. The way Callie said "tried to have sex" came off like she doesn't truly want to sleep with Wyatt. MM played it like Callie told Wyatt she'd been raped not because she loves him and wants physical and emotional intimacy with him, but because she believes Wyatt is a great BF and felt guilty that he's so frustrated about her shutting him out, and desperate for her love, that he actually went to Brandon (the guy he's been jealous of) for relationship help.

I agree with this- she said tried to have sex as casually as she would have said Wyatt and I tried to do homework. And she didn't go to Wyatt at the end because she wanted him to know or because she wants to try to work on being more intimate- emotionally or physically with him. She had less than zero interest in sharing with him. But She felt bad and the Jude situation and Brandon's words made her think. She cares about Wyatt but I don't MM plays it like she is remotely attracted to or in love him- he's her friend and he's an easy barrier between her and Brandon and a good bf on paper. With Brandon, MM still always plays it like a small part of her is just waiting for him to pull her into a kiss even if the bigger part of her is burying her feelings. The interesting thing is Wyatt used to know he was never going to really have her heart but he seems to have forgotten his own words in 1x09.

Are they ever going to address the issue of Wyatt's living arrangements? Does his mother care that he's moved to California indefinitely. I wish they'd spend 2 minutes on this. Maybe with the actor doing another show they'll have to.

• Love 1
(edited)

GildedLily - awesome analysis of the Callie/Brandon/Wyatt triangle and Callie's perspective, as played by MM. Bravo! I doubt the show will address Wyatt's living situation. Wyatt's only purpose in life/on the show seems to be his love for Callie. So the writers invented that one lame mention of him having a place to stay - not within the Adams-Foster residence - because it enables him to be a present/local boyfriend to Callie. But I think Callie and Wyatt breaking up is inevitable in the not-too-distant-future. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 1

I thought that this was a terrific episode for all of the reasons which everyone else here has already stated. Probably my favorite of the series (with the exception of the wedding scenes in I Do). Particularly liked that there was no time really spent on Mariana's dance team, Brandon's band or Jesus and his love life - rather, we saw the entire family playing Monopoly (loved those scenes) and waiting together in anguish in the hospital. I think that the show works best with more and more family scenes and I hope that there are more of them in future episodes.

A few points I didn't see covered above: Dana's slight nod to Stef when she emerged from Lena's hospital room slayed me. Stef breaking down in Dana's arms after keeping it together when telling the kids about the baby. Callie using the phrase "selfish" when talking to Jude in the hospital waiting room. Stef's face when Lena suggested naming the baby after Frank.

I'm still a bit surprised that Lena didn't tell Stef right away about Dani/Brandon. I hope that this doesn't come back to cause problems between she and Stef.

• Love 1

Positive review of this episode:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/fosters-late-term-abortion-comes-to-abc-fam.html

I am very impressed that they managed to turn me around from "this pregnancy story is stupid" to "wow, great job, it wasn't a waste after all!"

Also, as the article points out, we might have expected a teen pregnancy on this show, but that it was one of the adults, is kind of interesting. They really do manage to make it a multi-generational focus, and not load it up exclusively with teen drama.

• Love 1

Wow. A late- term abortion on prime time TV-- and presented accurately , as they occur in real life, heart-wrenching, devastating, but medically necessary.  I really cannot recall having this being done/shown before. I am most impressed.

• Love 6

I noticed they never used the word abortion or terminate the pregnancy.  They just said they'd have to deliver the baby, and it wouldn't survive because preemies have no chance unless they are X weeks old.

• Love 1

Great episode. Emotional for sure. The scene that really got me was between Lena and her mom, Dana. Sherri was wonderful and Lorraine Toussaint was just phenomenal. It was simple and powerful .. parents/mothers loving their children more in order to make the sacrifices and putting them first. 

I didn't see it as a racist question at all, and saw it exactly the same kind of question the guy with the black light wanted answered. 

I think if race were really at issue, the couple would have gotten up to leave as soon as they saw Lena.

After seeing everyone else weigh in on this moment, I agree. I'm a little embarrassed that my brain went directly to "OMG that's so racist!" right away, especially after realizing that yeah, she probably would have asked Stef that same question. Oops. That being said, I DID enjoy the guy with the black light. You can never be too careful. =)

(edited)

Inter-racial lesbian couple has a late term abortion on prime time television? That's progress.

This show has it's obvious flaws, but they fact they are able to tackle complex, taboo topics with accuracy, dignity and some darn fine monologues makes me willing to put up some of the more grating aspects, like Frankie the Unicorn.

Love the Jesus/Mariana bickerfest. That just felt true to life, as did Lena's exasperation.

Wyatt talking to Brandon was weird, but I thought it was preferable to Wyatt getting angry and pulling away. It's a tough situation for him and with Callie not talking to him it leaves him feeling insecure/vulnerable.

Also, I think the reason Callie did her 180 with Jude had more to do with Callie realizing she needed to talk to Wyatt than it did with Jude's situation. It felt like Callie was doing some external processing and kinda decided the lesson she was learning was applicable to her brother. I don't think the situations are analogous although I do think it's good for both Callie and Wyatt that Callie chose to tell Wyatt the truth.

Lorraine Toussaint is fantastic.

Edited by wagthedog
  • Love 1

Inter-racial lesbian couple has a late term abortion on prime time television? That's progress.

wagthedog, I hope you don't mind, I've tweeted the first quoted portion of your post to Peter Paige.  (I didn't take credit at all; I noted it as "seen elsewhere online".)  If you wish I can delete it.

As to the second quoted portion, I think that's a given.  LT is always fantastic, isn't she?  I wish we'd gotten to see Stef's mom too; LT & Annie Potts together is never not wonderful.

(edited)

wagthedog, on 23 Jul 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Love the Jesus/Mariana bickerfest. That just felt true to life, as did Lena's exasperation.

Wyatt talking to Brandon was weird, but I thought it was preferable to Wyatt getting angry and pulling away. It's a tough situation for him and with Callie not talking to him it leaves him feeling insecure/vulnerable.

LT's speech to Lena was the strongest writing I think since Stef talking to her Dad in the car after his funeral. It was not just good for ABCF, it was good television period.

I agree on Jesus and Mariana. I loved their bickering. I loved Lena who is usually so serene telling her to shut up. This was the most I've enjoyed Jesus.

I disagree that Wyatt going to Brandon was okay. I agree with  your one point- Wyatt's in a tough situation with Callie pulling away. But my bf went to an ex who I had a messy and fairly recent breakup with to express concern about a lack of physical and/or emotional intimacy, I would be beyond incensed no matter how well intentioned it was. Add to the fact that Wyatt knows B&C still have to interact on a daily basis and that he was therefore creating awkwardness for everyone to try to make himself feel better- at least in part. I could almost buy that he did it out of concern for her but his questions to Brandon weren't how is she, he was basically asking if there was still anything between them. He needed (as crappy as it would have been) to wait for her to come to him. If she didn't (or if she couldn't without B's prodding as was the case), then maybe their relationship isn't built to last.

Edited by GildedLily

I noticed they never used the word abortion or terminate the pregnancy.  They just said they'd have to deliver the baby, and it wouldn't survive because preemies have no chance unless they are X weeks old.

Yeah, I'll be honest. I didn't even think of it as an abortion until I saw the Vulture article and I actually once worked for an abortion rights group so I pay a lot of attention to these things. I think the decision not to use the word may have been a good one. At least for me, it gave me a chance to stay engrossed in the story instead of slipping into "let's see how they do this" mode.

How many more episodes do we have this season? Because they are going to have to continue hiding Sherri's real life bump.

I disagree that Wyatt going to Brandon was okay. I agree with  your one point- Wyatt's in a tough situation with Callie pulling away. But my bf went to an ex who I had a messy and fairly recent breakup with to express concern about a lack of physical and/or emotional intimacy, I would be beyond incensed no matter how well intentioned it was. Add to the fact that Wyatt knows B&C still have to interact on a daily basis and that he was therefore creating awkwardness for everyone to try to make himself feel better- at least in part. I could almost buy that he did it out of concern for her but his questions to Brandon weren't how is she, he was basically asking if there was still anything between them. He needed (as crappy as it would have been) to wait for her to come to him. If she didn't (or if she couldn't without B's prodding as was the case), then maybe their relationship isn't built to last.

I too would have reacted with more outward anger than Callie did, but she's a teenager. Wyatt wants re-assurance that Callie really is into him, and that Brandon and Callie are not secretly together or hung up on each other. If Callie hasn't made that clear to him (which she hasn't, because her heart's not in the relationship) then that's all the answer he needs. I re-watched some Season 1 Wyatt and Callie scenes; seems Wyatt was smarter back then. Callie called him her "only friend" and then got uncomfortable when Wyatt asked for a definition of their relationship. Waking up in his arms in a bed really seemed like no big deal to her, I didn't pick up on even a hint of attraction to him when they were alone together and she was horizontal next to him. He figured out Callie was unintentionally using him, and just wasn't falling for him. Now it's like he's forgotten all of that. I could almost read "I am desperate to be the love of Callie's life" written across Wyatt's forehead while he was questioning Brandon. 

wagthedog, I hope you don't mind, I've tweeted the first quoted portion of your post to Peter Paige.  (I didn't take credit at all; I noted it as "seen elsewhere online".)  If you wish I can delete it.

Don't mind at all. Glad it resonated with you.

As to the second quoted portion, I think that's a given.  LT is always fantastic, isn't she?  I wish we'd gotten to see Stef's mom too; LT & Annie Potts together is never not wonderful.

Agree, it's a given. I just like to say it. :)  Sometimes people who are consistently fantastic get overlooked because it becomes expected of them. And there are still so few good roles for women

LT's speech to Lena was the strongest writing I think since Stef talking to her Dad in the car after his funeral. It was not just good for ABCF, it was good television period.

Yes! This show has had some wonderful highlights. I'm not in love with everything about it, but the exceptional moments really, imo, move the needle on the way television depicts certain topics that have, for too long, gone under-represented or been badly represented. Authentic representation is something where you know it when you see it. I know I've learned a few things.

I think the decision not to use the word may have been a good one. At least for me, it gave me a chance to stay engrossed in the story instead of slipping into "let's see how they do this" mode.

Agreed. The A-word is so inflammatory. People (on both sides) hear the word and promptly lose sight of everything else. The way this story unfolded you could look at it and see the whole picture of a family making a heart-breaking choice regarding a wanted pregnancy. A choice that was deeply personal, thoughtfully considered and ultimately a reflection of individual values and the intimate conversation that takes place between a woman, her spouse and their doctor. The way the show handled it took the political posturing out of it and let it be what it is, personal.

I disagree that Wyatt going to Brandon was okay.

I probably didn't express my thought very clearly. I'm not saying ok as in "good choice." I'm saying ok as in I can understand what brought him to do it. And I found it preferable to some of the alternatives. Admittedly, my expectations were low. I figured Wyatt would get jealous, have a fit and blow up his relationship with Callie not because there was any truth to his fears but because tv seems to love the jealousy side of a triangle. I should have expected better because the show has done a good job of making both Wyatt and Brandon decent guys. They aren't writing the obnoxious, "there's an obvious choice because one of the guys is a complete douche" story.

Anyways, I agree Wyatt was doing what he needed to do for himself. Going to Brandon was not about what was good for Callie. I definitely think there was a better way for Wyatt to handle it but I appreciate that the show lets well-intentioned characters make mistakes. Wyatt's a good kid. He did the best he could which wasn't that great, but hopefully it was a life lesson and he'll do better the next time. Also, considering that Wyatt is a teenage boy with insecurities and family drama of his own, I found his actions in character.

And Wyatt is having to negotiate this relationship without any apparent other person to talk to. Brandon and Callie have siblings and multiple adults from whom they can get advice. Unless he's still bunking with Callie's juvie buddy, we don't see any part of Wyatt's support structure. His only reason for existence has turned into being a prop and chauffeur for Callie. Every other character (even sperm-donor Tim) has a life and interests off screen -- Wyatt doesn't, any more.