Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: Girl with Death Mask (She Plays Alone)

Daphne stirs up trouble while Bay meets a new cousin. When John starts feeling a sense of built-up anxiety in Bay and Daphne, he suggests that a trip to Chicago to find Bay's second cousin is a perfect opportunity for her to become more in touch with her roots and give Daphne a chance to tour prospective colleges. But the trip goes south when Daphne uses the opportunity to act out, and Bay discovers alarming news about Angelo's family past. Meanwhile, Kathryn tries to kindle a spark between two love-seeking candidates looking for something missing in their lives.

The art: "Girl with Death Mask (She Plays Alone)" by Frida Kahlo (1938). Oil on metal.

Definitely a darker painting, but I enjoy that it's a Frida Kahlo painting. 

I'm a huge Frida fan, and I never would have put her together with this show-- I like that they went there, though!

Only a matter of time considering Bay is a big fan of hers as well. Angelo's gift to Bay after the law suit was a letter written by Frida.

Does Toby's new (potential) friend really need to be Tank?  And his new love interest his friends' (Emmett, Travis, etc) teacher?

I hope I'm wrong but it sure looks like they are setting up the baby to stay with the Kennish-es and/or Vasquez-es.  

So, is there where Daphne finds out how much like Regina she really is?  Substance abuse and spiraling out of control - just like mom apparently used to do.    And who wants to bet that her descent into delinquency will lose her chances at any of her top pre-med schools.  Not that she cares right now, of course, but eventually.  Once she "comes around" as she's sure to do at some point.

• Love 2
(edited)

This show really wants Tank to be a thing don't they? Whether he makes sense or not.  Why did he need his own "Poor Tank" story tonight? Why should I care? He served his purpose, so why is he still here? Yeah, he got dumped, but I'm not going to care about him as some main character or anything.  He's going to be living with Toby now? Whatever . . . 

The Bay story took a really interesting turn.  I'm looking forward to how they handle her dealing with the fact that she may have the same disease as Angelo and her aunt.  That was a great use of Vanessa Marano's real-life sister who does look exactly like her.  And poor Bay having to explain what happened to Angelo by shouting through an intercom on a street sidewalk.  The poor girl looked and sounded like she was going to break down right then and there.

Will she tell anyone what she learned? John's "We'll talk later" to Kathryn implied that she told her Dad what she learned, but that also could just refer to the trip in general and the cousin trying to scam them.  She needs to tell her parents so they can help her cope and talk to a doctor about her options.  Or even if she has the same thing as Angelo and his sister. She may not.  Leo will have to be told in order to decide what's best for Abby.  

The Leo and Kathryn scenes were nice.  Renzo was NOT needed at all.  But I think Renzo is another character that this show wants to make happen.

Speaking of Abby, that scene of her and Bay at the end was just perfect.  

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 2

Why do we need Tank here? I must admit that I laughed during the scene where he meets Emmett-as-Travis. First, the whole scenario is awkward and gets even more so, but it had Emmett's hilarious facial expressions when reading Tank's (very slurred) lips.

I like Leo and Abby. I don't think we need anymore characters, but the whole Bay/Abby scene was adorable. Leo is also a lot more easy going than everyone else.

I don't know why but I found Kathryn asking Regina if she wanted to go to the farmer's market to buy oranges cute and funny. When Regina refused, I'd have volunteered. I love going to the farmer's market! Kathryn can be such a good friend and mom.

Not sure how to feel about the Daphne drug storyline. It's better than a new love interest at least.

• Love 2

I like Leo and Abby. I don't think we need anymore characters, but the whole Bay/Abby scene was adorable. Leo is also a lot more easy going than everyone else.

I agree that this show doesn't need anymore new characters, but Leo and Abby make so much more sense as part of the show than Tank.  Or Renzo for that matter.  Leo can be Kathryn's gay BFF if she must have one.  Their scenes were actually quite nice until Renzo showed up and turned it into a circus.  

• Love 5

Is Renzo going to be done soon? He's on that other ABC Family show, right? Can't he quietly exit like Liam, Wilke, that guy who was losing his hearing, Adriana and many, many more characters? 

I loved Emmett's "I'm going to pretend to be really mad" line, and his "Yes, sweetheart" that Mary Beth didn't even see. I thought Toby was going to say something along the lines of "I know what it's like to have Emmett cheat with your girlfriend" and make things super-awkward. 

Nice casting job. Angelo's sister really does look like Bay.

• Love 1

Nice casting job. Angelo's sister really does look like Bay.

That was a picture of Laura Marano. Laura is Vanessa Marano's (Bay) real-life younger sister.  And the two of them do look like they could be twins.  They even sound alike if  you ever watch any of their interviews together.

I pretty well hate what they're doing with Daphne.  It doesn't feel real to me that she would be so unhinged by Angelo's death to turn to cocaine, or even that she'd turn so heavily against Regina.   She spent like 10 seconds reconnecting with him, and instead of trying to be there to support her mother (and make sure she doesn't turn back to substance abuse ...) she lays all the blame firmly on Regina.  Guess little Miss Pre-med is missing the idea that while Regina may have argued with him that night, there could have been a thousand other instances that could have triggered this.  If it had ruptured during all the stress of, say, that brief stint of trying to raise Abby, would she have blamed the baby?

I do like that they brought Leo and Abby back though, and didn't just drop them.   She is Bay's sister, so they *are* family.  I don't want them moving in, but taking Abby for a weekend here or there (maybe keeping Angelo's part of the custody arrangement?) would be really nice continuity and show Kathryn and John's commitment to doing what's right for Bay in re her bio family.

• Love 4
(edited)

I feel sooo bad for Bay, mourning for Angelo and then this cousin is such a douche to her. What kind of person is so unkind to/tries to scam a teenager- who is a family member - mourning the loss of her father?  He knew she was there to deliver the news of Angelo's death, and can't even be bothered to treat her with decency? Letting her keep the photo of her late aunt does not make up for that. Geez. It's great that bonding with her baby half-sister (instead of resenting the kid's existence, like Daphne) can help her cope with the pain. 

Not feeling a lot of sympathy for Daphne. With that attitude, Bay should have left her at the university for a few hours to sober up and get over herself. She's not the only one who's in pain.

Tank moving in w/Toby can only mean drama and awkwardness for the Kennish Family. Hey idiots, don't make decisions until you're BOTH totally sober. Ugh.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 3

I pretty well hate what they're doing with Daphne.  It doesn't feel real to me that she would be so unhinged by Angelo's death to turn to cocaine, or even that she'd turn so heavily against Regina.   She spent like 10 seconds reconnecting with him, and instead of trying to be there to support her mother (and make sure she doesn't turn back to substance abuse ...) she lays all the blame firmly on Regina.  Guess little Miss Pre-med is missing the idea that while Regina may have argued with him that night, there could have been a thousand other instances that could have triggered this.  If it had ruptured during all the stress of, say, that brief stint of trying to raise Abby, would she have blamed the baby?

It is a bit over the top that it went to cocaine use, but I can see how Daphne had this in her. Even though Bay seems like the artistic, rebellious one, Daphne is the one who has acted out more. Maybe it's her issues in particular or that her personality seems to default to happy-go-lucky but then goes to pieces when things don't go her way.

I can see her acting out about Angelo because he's the dad that left her, came back, and reconnected with her. For him to die the night they have an emotional and intimate connection probably does mess her up. He left her again just when they started to have a relationship. Secondly, I get the feeling that Daphne hasn't really lost anyone in her life. She's had Regina and Adriana her whole life, and they were this small family. Her support network is not as strong as Bay's. Bay also holds it in and then talks it out with Emmett, Toby, or often as in this episode, one or both of her parents.

• Love 2
I can see her acting out about Angelo because he's the dad that left her, came back, and reconnected with her. For him to die the night they have an emotional and intimate connection probably does mess her up. He left her again just when they started to have a relationship.

Yeah, I think that this makes the most sense for Daphne. Actually, for all her Mary-Sueness, Daphne seems to have some pretty strong rebellion and anger right under the surface: blackmailing the Sen., the whole thing with Chef Jeff, her anger at Regina at various times -- I mean D. completely shuts her out and is mean! And she does seem to be pretty impulsive, so I guess her trying cocaine was believable in that sense. And wow, she is so much like Regina -- so much of a complete shutter-downer and strike-outer (these are technical terms) when the shit hits the fan. Bay, on the other hand, seems to be more like Kathryn, soldiering on and getting done what needs getting done. I do think the show is interesting when it plays with the whole nature/nurture concept.

Are brain aneurysms actually genetic? (Maybe that's a stupid question, but I have no idea.)

I like that Abby is back in their lives, and it was interesting that her fathers broke up -- too often, the TV trope is these two lovely gay men happily skipping into the sunset, and shows don't allow gay characters to deal with the real issues of relationships (like wanting a kid or not wanting a kid -- I suspect that's broken up many a couple.) So points there for the writers. But wait -- all those points lost when Kathryn decides, "Oh I know TWO whole gay people, so they MUST be a match." Really? If you met either guy for more than thirty seconds, it would be pretty easy to tell they would never be a match...plus, Abby's dad (whose name escapes me) has just broken up with what appeared to be a pretty long term partner and is generally a complete mess right now, and nowhere near ready for a relationship.

Two other thoughts: I kinda liked that the cousin was kind of a grifter, as Angelo was too. And he seemed to have his eyes pretty open about Angelo. I wondered about the male modeling....and could Northwestern not spring for an interpreter? That seemed dumb to me.

• Love 1
Are brain aneurysms actually genetic? (Maybe that's a stupid question, but I have no idea.)

According to The Brain Aneurysm Foundation, there is a type that is genetic, who knew?

could Northwestern not spring for an interpreter?

Perhaps since the trip seemed rather last minute, Northwestern couldn't get one that quickly. I remember the university I used to work for would need notice if there was an interpreter needed because they had to check the schedule of their interpreters.  

Renzo was over the top, but I did actually like seeing a different side of him, the nervous-around-his-crush guy.  He seem less one-dimensional now, and less just a charicature to give Katherine a gay friend.

• Love 2
(edited)

OMG, now Bay may have an aneurysm!?

I have long said that Bay is the most crapped-on character on prime time TV (Callie from The Fosters is a close second). And in one episode she dealt with the death of her bio Dad, met a nasty relative, almost got fleeced by said nasty relative, and found out her head could explode.

That, my friends, is called overkill.

Edited by Scootman
  • Love 4

I enjoy Max Adler, but Tank is possibly the most pointless character on this show. Now that Bay is back with Emmett, he's really served his purpose. Maybe I'll come around to him as Toby's new bestie, but I doubt it. 

• Love 2

I really like Tank's character but I can't believe they found a way to draw his arc out. I knew they'd do the roommate thing when he told Toby about his problems at the dorm.

I'm glad they remembered baby Abby. She is Bay's sister and I liked that Bay said she went searching for a Sorrento but had one there all along. Very sweet. She deserves to have something good for once. Too bad about the inevitable aneurysm. Poor Bay!

I looked at that picture of Angelo's sister five times trying to figure out if it was Vanessa with different makeup. Clever call by the casting department to get her sister.

I really wish Daphne would have thrown herself off of that roof. I hate that this is mostly going to be about how Daphne handles Angelo's death and her downward spiral that will past for all of this season but be forgotten about next. Blah.

• Love 3

I think the potential aneurysm is going to be about as debilitating Bay's hand injury - i.e. none.  Plus her bio-grandma is fine.  It'll just be something for her to worry over and then be dropped.  However, is she going to tell Leo - since she should have the same worry for her half-sister, right?

• Love 1

I think the potential aneurysm is going to be about as debilitating Bay's hand injury - i.e. none. Plus her bio-grandma is fine. It'll just be something for her to worry over and then be dropped. However, is she going to tell Leo - since she should have the same worry for her half-sister, right?

Yeah, it'll probably be written off once Bay talks to a doctor and is told that she's used her allotted screen time away from boys.

Her bio grandma is fine but what about her bio grandpa?

I would hope that she'd tell Leo after the looks of pity she was giving Abby but knowing this show, it'll probably be glossed over.

• Love 3
Her bio grandma is fine but what about her bio grandpa?

Since he's not mentioned, I assume he's not alive anymore.

But who knows?  Adrianna was right there, living next door, and she was hardly mentioned and certainly wanted nothing to do with her bio-grand-daughter.

I really did not like the whole Daphne trying cocaine and tossing a couch off the roof storyline - and I generally like Daphne. I was more concerned about Regina, who said that she needed to go to a meeting. Bay and Abby were adorable together; I hope that they keep Abby and Leo around so that Bay can continue to connect with her. I've never seen the appeal of Renzo so his antics in the kitchen annoyed me no end. Leo seems like a really good guy; I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. I know that the actress who plays Adriana has another job but I'm surprised that she didn't make an appearance to support Regina.

(edited)

I know that the actress who plays Adriana has another job but I'm surprised that she didn't make an appearance to support Regina.

According to Lizzy Weiss:

"Grandma Adrianna is in Puerto Rico helping her sister recover from a broken hip. She felt terribly about Angelo but couldn't return in time."

I think you're right however, the actress may have scheduling issues in-between shows. Wouldn't it be nice if Wilke could come back.

I was more concerned about Regina, who said that she needed to go to a meeting.

I thought of that too, but I think she was referring to a meeting with Wes or some client as they've given no indication that she is thinking about hitting the booze again.

Edited by Eri

I was more concerned about Regina, who said that she needed to go to a meeting.

I definitely thought she was referring to an AA meeting. Even if she isn't actively considering hitting the bottle again, she might just want that extra support. Her daughter is beyond pissed at her, her mother is out of the country, and her husband is dead. She might just want to go to check in with people that can help support her with her sobriety. 

• Love 4

I definitely thought she was referring to an AA meeting. Even if she isn't actively considering hitting the bottle again, she might just want that extra support. Her daughter is beyond pissed at her, her mother is out of the country, and her husband is dead. She might just want to go to check in with people that can help support her with her sobriety.

Agreed - the setting up of it with her not dressed and her house a mess and just seeming really frazzled.   It just seemed like she knew she needed support to stay sober.  I actually really like the continuity of it - once Regina got sober again it wasn't mentioned, so I'm glad in a time of stress they show her still actively seeking help to remain sober.

At the same time, it's one of the reasons Daphne's behavior really bothers me.  She *knows* her mom is an alcoholic, she knows how bad it could get, in the past she'd been shown as watching out for Regina in that regard, but this time she's just piling the stress and guilt directly on Regina with absolutely no regard for it.   I get that she's hurt and sad, but how long can she really go on placing all the blame on Regina before someone smacks some sense into her?   I would rather see her deal with this without the open hostility.   If she's such a gifted pre-med teenager, I don't buy that she took "stress, anger, high blood pressure ..." and immediately deduced that it was all and only Regina's fault (given that she knew about the restaurant going bust, the recent custody battles, the switch as a whole, etc - NOT just one fight).  Or maybe it is all in character and I just don't like Daphne.

I hope, if we have to deal with all of Daphne's acting out, they can also continue with the story of Bay getting to know her bio family on Angelo's side.   Sure his cousin was awful, but it would be nice to see her form a connection with her grandmother and with Abby.

I. Hate. Daphne. 

OMG, now Bay may have an aneurysm!?

I have long said that Bay is the most crapped-on character on prime time TV (Callie from The Fosters is a close second). And in one episode she dealt with the death of her bio Dad, met a nasty relative, almost got fleeced by said nasty relative, and found out her head could explode.

That, my friends, is called overkill.

Completely agree. 

• Love 1
If she's such a gifted pre-med teenager, I don't buy that she took "stress, anger, high blood pressure ..." and immediately deduced that it was all and only Regina's fault (given that she knew about the restaurant going bust, the recent custody battles, the switch as a whole, etc - NOT just one fight).

I like that Daphne is screwing up, and have irrational reactions. I loathed how in the very first episode she was so calm about being switched at birth - it's nice to see her overreact to a situation.