Type keyword(s) to search

The Beatles: Get Back (2021) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, in part 3, Paul finally seems to perfect "The Long and Winding Road" - and Ringo basically sleeps through it. LOL! Paul is/was a genius, and I love how these songs just magically came to him.

But I imagine it grated on the other 3 now and then, and I can see why they're like, "That's nice. Sleeping now!"

ETA: George Martin was certainly debonair/easy on the eyes, wasn't he?

• Love 8

Another observation in Part 3: Anyone else digging George's embroidered fuzzy boots when everyone is crowded in the sound booth as George Martin, George Harrison, and Paul McCartney discuss tweaking things?

ETA: Speaking of George Harrison, fashionista, only he could pull off a pink pin-striped suit and purple ruffled shirt. (Yikes!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Another observation in Part 3: Anyone else digging George's embroidered fuzzy boots when everyone is crowded in the sound booth as George Martin, George Harrison, and Paul McCartney discuss tweaking things?

Oh my gosh, could we have a whole thread on the fashions?  I actually didn’t notice George’s boots, but I was digging Ringo’s sort of slipper/boots he was wearing in several of the scenes. And I loved how, when everyone else was wearing height-of-60s fashion, Paul was wearing a shirt that I could probably order right now from Brooks Brothers or Lands End or any number of places. 

• Love 8

I’m not a fan of eating kittens under any circumstances, but I have to say how much I enjoyed the conversation with Paul’s (future?) stepdaughter. They managed to bring it around from oh yeah, let’s eat kittens, to yeah, you shouldn’t eat the ones with black spots. Oh and you shouldn’t eat the ones that look like tigers. 

Just those uncles that you learn to roll your eyes at. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 9

By the way, it's sad to see Mal Evans so engaged in this documentary considering his sad end in Los Angeles in '76. I guess he was known as the "gentle giant". And he was the one having a ball hitting the anvil during "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

While Heather has a relationship with her bio dad she's said she considers Paul to be her father. I had no idea how comfortable and close they already were by the time he married Linda, a little under two months after this was filmed. It was reminiscent of my stepdad who my mom married when I was about the same age as Heather.

In addition to a couple of them talking about high they were/had gotten, not sure who else caught Ringo asking someone (Mal?) for a few uppers as he was leaving the room. Those were a primary staple in their early days when they'd go to Hamburg because it was the only way to keep their energy up through the intense, lengthy performances. 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

By the way, it's sad to see Mal Evans so engaged in this documentary considering his sad end in Los Angeles in '76. I guess he was known as the "gentle giant". And he was the one having a ball hitting the anvil during "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

He was also the one doing the count for the orchestra as they start the frenzied climb to the end of "A Day in the Life." Some of the early takes of that song are funny. No orchestra, just one piano being banged on and then the weak-ass hums at the end. In the finished product, they had multiple pianos hitting that final chord at the same time and you can hear it changing into different sound shapes as it sustains...hard to explain!

In the Beatles Anthology, one of the extras is Paul, Ringo, and George (this was after John's death) in a studio with George Martin and he's isolating out the different tracks of "Tomorrow Never Knows." They're all just nodding like it's no big deal and making basic comments. Meanwhile, I'm going nuts because it's such an incredible song and why aren't they acknowledging what geniuses they are?? If I heard any other bands going on about how f--ing great they were, I'd want to throw something at them but in this case it feels like it would be totally appropriate, and their low-key responses are greatly at odds with my reaction!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

So, in part 3, Paul finally seems to perfect "The Long and Winding Road" - and Ringo basically sleeps through it. LOL!

I don't know what it is, but The Long and Winding Road has never really appealed to me.  I recognize that it has a good melody and lyrics, and that it was a #1 single.  But it just has never clicked with me, I think it's too slow.  I acknowledge it's a good song but it bores me.  

• Love 5

I think one of my favorite parts was when they were pitching the idea of the rooftop show to Paul and you see his face light up in delight at the idea.

So much musical genius in a room. When they starting popping off notes from G to E or F (I have no idea as I am not musical in any way), and all of them knowing exactly what they meant, delightful and impressive.

I know that there was a deadline to come up wiht the songs and make the record, but why was there a deadline? They arrive on day one with a couple of idea of songs but nothing really for the whole record yet. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

While Heather has a relationship with her bio dad she's said she considers Paul to be her father. I had no idea how comfortable and close they already were by the time he married Linda, a little under two months after this was filmed. It was reminiscent of my stepdad who my mom married when I was about the same age as Heather.

Had a relationship -- Mel See died over 20 years ago.  Paul had spent a month or so living with Linda and Heather in their tiny apartment in NYC in October 1968.  I think the two of them went over to London with him almost immediately after that.  So Heather had been around Paul a lot in a short period. 

10 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't know what it is, but The Long and Winding Road has never really appealed to me.  I recognize that it has a good melody and lyrics, and that it was a #1 single.  But it just has never clicked with me, I think it's too slow.  I acknowledge it's a good song but it bores me.  

Glad to see I'm not the only one.  I find it dirge-like and rather monotonous.  

8 hours ago, nilyank said:

I know that there was a deadline to come up wiht the songs and make the record, but why was there a deadline? They arrive on day one with a couple of idea of songs but nothing really for the whole record yet. 

Ringo was committed to start filming The Magic Christian in late January and would not be available for several months after that.  I think this is explained at the start of Ep. 1.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, nilyank said:

1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

Had a relationship -- Mel See died over 20 years ago.  Paul had spent a month or so living with Linda and Heather in their tiny apartment in NYC in October 1968.  I think the two of them went over to London with him almost immediately after that.  So Heather had been around Paul a lot in a short period. 

Ringo was committed to start filming The Magic Christian in late January and would not be available for several months after that.  I think this is explained at the start of Ep. 1.

I like the way this tweet put it:

• Love 2

I finished Part 2 last night. The crossed off days on the calendar are now just nerve wracking. I felt such a sense of relief when they finally made it to the roof. And the footage is so beautifully restored that while I'm watching, I forget this all happened over 50 years ago. 

George would eventually get his super-group with The Traveling Wilburys, so it was fascinating to see them talk about Dylan joining the Beatles. 

About Yoko... I'm in the minority most of the time because I don't dislike her.  Long after my Beatles childhood, I was into Mail Art and fascinated by the Fluxus movement, so it was interesting to see Yoko as an artist in her own right.  But I always cringe at the screeching. 🙂

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

I believe Paul legally adopted Heather after he married Linda.  Heather had very little contact with her biologic father who committed suicide back in the late '90's.  Linda divorced her first husband when Heather was just a toddler; the marriage itself was less than 3 years long.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

"Dirge-like" is a perfect description for Long and Winding Road.  Especially after John was making fun of George for the waltz.

"Come on lads, we need a good dirge".

7 hours ago, tessaray said:

About Yoko... I'm in the minority most of the time because I don't dislike her.  Long after my Beatles childhood, I was into Mail Art and fascinated by the Fluxus movement, so it was interesting to see Yoko as an artist in her own right.  But I always cringe at the screeching. 🙂

I don't dislike Yoko.  I always thought her art was interesting, and kind of wished she had continued more in that direction than into music.  That scene where she is screeching into the microphone went right up my spine though.  There's a scene in the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus where she does something similar, with John on guitar, and they call it "Whole Lotta Yoko", which I always thought was kind of funny.

That scene where Paul defends Yoko being there really showed the depth of Paul's respect and empathy for his partner John.

I'm only somewhere near the beginning of episode 2, but what Peter Jackson has done here is fantastic.  This is SO far above and beyond what the Let it Be movie was.  He really did find a depth and storylines, and the use of the calendar pages to evoke tension is just brilliant.

• Love 8

There are things I couldn't believe they got on camera I couldn't believe like them having a lengthy discussion about their much publicized trip to India the year before all because Paul had watched the home movies they took the previous night. John and Paul talking about how they weren't really themselves when they were over there and an annoyed George(the one who really became a Krishna) saying the whole point of being there was to find who you really were. 

Also when Paul is away John telling George and Ringo he met with Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein and how great he was and Glyn Johns trying to warn him that he was shady. If you saw this in a movie you'd think they were being heavyhanded with the foreshadowing!

• Love 7

I just finished part 2, and I'm really enthralled by this.

The mood really seemed to change when they moved to Apple. I wonder if it helped that they were further along in song writing by then too. John seemed very checked out when they were writing initially but seemed to come alive more when it came time to start recording. I've known a few people who are terrible at the planning, but great when it's time to execute. 

It feels like Ringo has hardly said 5 words the whole time. He seems like a very "go along to get along" personality who probably got very good at keeping his thoughts to himself. 

Was he taping up pictures from his kids by his drums? They looked like drawings but I couldn't tell what they were. 

I don't have strong feelings about Yoko really. It seems weird to me that she sat by John's side constantly, but I assume he asked her to. Mostly I wondered how bored she was. She seemed to sit and read the paper or maybe take some notes, but wasn't really doing much of anything. In retrospect it's like, well she was listening to the Beatles make an amazing album. But right there in the moment? I think I'd have been bored out of my mind day after day.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Also when Paul is away John telling George and Ringo he met with Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein and how great he was and Glyn Johns trying to warn him that he was shady. If you saw this in a movie you'd think they were being heavyhanded with the foreshadowing!

They could have scripted this and they wouldn't have come up with a more interesting story.

1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I don't have strong feelings about Yoko really. It seems weird to me that she sat by John's side constantly, but I assume he asked her to. Mostly I wondered how bored she was. She seemed to sit and read the paper or maybe take some notes, but wasn't really doing much of anything. In retrospect it's like, well she was listening to the Beatles make an amazing album. But right there in the moment? I think I'd have been bored out of my mind day after day.  

Good point, you would think it would have been boring.  Supposedly they were so in love they couldn't stand being apart (I'm guessing that was more on John's part, but whatever).  Reportedly she wasn't really a Beatle fan.  Maybe she concentrated on being filmed, she knew she was going to be getting some exposure from it, she had dabbled in acting before.

• Love 2

Not to defend John, as he really was in his own world/checked out in the beginning, but I found the Twickenham studio so depressing, therefore, I can only imagine how such a bleak place (even if I did like the colored lights) would influence the boys' creativity overall, or lack thereof. (Save for Paul, but I think he was a genius savant of some kind after this, sooo...)

And notice it was also Paul who saw through Alan Klein so easily, too.

• Love 8

OMG, Oh! Darling is so clearly about Paul's bandmates:

Oh! Darling, if you leave me
I'll never make it alone
Believe me when I beg you
Don't ever leave me alone

When you told me you didn't need me anymore
Well you know I nearly broke down and cried
When you told me you didn't need me anymore
Well you know I nearly broke down and died

And this is like a day or two after we saw Paul fighting back tears...  He really thought at that time that he couldn't be anything but a Beatle.  "I'll never make it alone" is a plea to the others.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I've gotten to about halfway through Part 3.  The first episode was kind of a slog, but once they moved to Apple, Billy Preston showed up, and they started getting the songs into better shape, things became much more interesting to watch.  I like seeing some of the personal dynamics between them, and how they shift from time to time.  I can understand why George got prickly at times, but also why Paul felt that he had to keep everybody on track if they were going to get things done.  I also thought it was interesting that George seemed to be the one who was most concerned with how much things would cost.  And also that he was the one who first brought up the subject of paying Billy Preston.  I hope they did, and that they paid him more than what they would have paid a session musician, because his contribution to that album was immense.  I really think that both John and George would have been cool with making him a permanent member of the band if things had carried on.

Ringo may be quiet a lot of time (and they call George "the quiet one"!), but you can tell everybody loves him.  I absolutely loved the bit at the beginning of Part 3 where he's writing "Octopus's Garden."  First Ringo plays the few lines that's he got so far, then George comes over with his guitar to help out with the melody.  Then George Martin comes in to listen, and pretty soon he's singing along.  John comes in, asks what his part is, and jumps on the drums.  Finally Paul enters and has a big grin on his face.  Everybody instantly loves this cute little Ringo song about an octopus.

Did anyone else notice how often they call Ringo "Rich" or "Ritchie?"  I find that so wonderfully human, somehow.  "Ringo" is the stage name, but to his friends, he's just "Ritchie."

I don't think that it was Yoko's idea to even be there.  She certainly seemed bored a lot of the time.  I suspect John may have made her presence a condition of his doing the album/show.  Within those constraints, I think she remained as unobtrusive as she could.  Yeah, her screeching into the mic wasn't pleasant to hear, but I thought that was obviously just screwing around.  They seemed to do a fair amount of that while they were waiting for various things to get set up.

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Did anyone else notice how often they call Ringo "Rich" or "Ritchie?"  I find that so wonderfully human, somehow.  "Ringo" is the stage name, but to his friends, he's just "Ritchie."

Yes, I did catch that!  In Mark Lewisohn's book, he spells it "Richie" which is how he says the man himself spelled it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I've gotten to about halfway through Part 3.  The first episode was kind of a slog, but once they moved to Apple, Billy Preston showed up, and they started getting the songs into better shape, things became much more interesting to watch.  I like seeing some of the personal dynamics between them, and how they shift from time to time.  I can understand why George got prickly at times, but also why Paul felt that he had to keep everybody on track if they were going to get things done.  I also thought it was interesting that George seemed to be the one who was most concerned with how much things would cost.  And also that he was the one who first brought up the subject of paying Billy Preston.  I hope they did, and that they paid him more than what they would have paid a session musician, because his contribution to that album was immense.  I really think that both John and George would have been cool with making him a permanent member of the band if things had carried on.

I'm also halfway through Part 3. We've watched half an episode every night, like a mini series.

I think you could make a case that Billy Preston saved the project, at least with the compressed timeline.  Even after getting George to come back, it felt like things could still fall apart at any point. And you could see how aimless they were the day Billy was off doing another job. Not sure if I'd wish the job of 5th Beatle on him though. He would just get blamed for the inevitable breakup. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ketchuplover said:

I just found out about this a few days ago.  Better late than never 😁

It didn't start streaming until Thanksgiving (5 days ago), so I wouldn't feel too bad about being "late"!

• Love 2
  • When I saw the Bangladesh concert film, I was more impressed with Billy Preston and Leon Russell than any of the bigger names. I'll have to re-watch the film, its been almost 40 years. How did that happen?
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, khyber said:
  • When I saw the Bangladesh concert film, I was more impressed with Billy Preston and Leon Russell than any of the bigger names. I'll have to re-watch the film, its been almost 40 years. How did that happen?

Leon Russell and Billy Preston were great musicians. Why wouldn't anyone be impressed?

It's a shame Paul had to work so hard to keep them together but the fact he had to shows the end was near. If you were told a group of people were friends since they were teenagers, were always together but as they approached 30, started going off in different directions, having different interests, getting married, and drifted apart, you'd say "It happens. That's life. It's sad but it's normal." There's no big tragedy or mystery about it. When I see all these comments online saying "If only Yoko hadn't been there..." I think "How many of these people who are over 30 still hang out with the friends they had when they were 15 or 20?" I doubt there are many of them.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, tessaray said:

The concert on the roof brought tears to my eyes. It made me laugh too, with the street level interviews and the police trying politely to make it stop. 

I wondered if this had followed PC Shayler for the rest of his life. Yep: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10208397/Copper-tasked-shutting-famous-1969-rooftop-concert-tells-tale.html

When there was talk of whether the roof could hold the weight and then you see the boards that don't look sturdy, I was thinking about how that might have been the actual end of The Beatles. "They had a tragic ending when the boards gave way and they all plunged to their deaths."

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

When there was talk of whether the roof could hold the weight and then you see the boards that don't look sturdy, I was thinking about how that might have been the actual end of The Beatles. "They had a tragic ending when the boards gave way and they all plunged to their deaths."

When Paul had himself hoisted up on that pulley thing... and when he tossed Heather increasingly higher into the air...  I was holding my breath!  😅

• Love 2
On 11/29/2021 at 1:56 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Seeing "Something" come to life is awesome. And it's nice to see John Lennon actually taking an interest in it instead of writing George off. Maybe his brief exit did lend to some positive change, if just for a while.

George doesn't get nearly enough attention for his songwriting skills. It must've been hard to get your stuff when your bandmates are geniuses and to only get one or two songs per album. I'll go to my grave arguing that Long, Long, Long was one of the best songs on The White Album. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, FancyRhubarb said:

George doesn't get nearly enough attention for his songwriting skills. It must've been hard to get your stuff when your bandmates are geniuses and to only get one or two songs per album. I'll go to my grave arguing that Long, Long, Long was one of the best songs on The White Album. 

At one point (in part 3, I think), George laments that he his backlog of songs is enough to last for decades if he continues to get just 2 songs per Beatles album.  Between Paul and George, the group could have put out two albums per year with a few songs thrown in by John (his later Beatles material interests me the least). 

• Love 4

In part 3, someone was commenting that they were filming a documentary, but they didn't have a story, without realizing they were filming the end of the Beatles.

The highlight of the film was Ringo and Heather McCartney playing drums together while dressed in the same outfit. I wonder if anyone noticed, or if it took 50 years for Ringo to stare at the footage and say "Hey, wait a minute!"

The documentary was really enlightening on the dynamics of that band. George was really coming into his own as a songwriter and composer, but his style clashed too much with Paul, who seemed to be very particular on how a Beatles song should sound. They were all immensely talented musicians, and it's unfortunate that they started holding one another back.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, FancyRhubarb said:

Facts. George's songs resonate with me the most. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is my favorite Beatles song, and the All Things Must Pass album is just phenomenal. 

• Love 5
On 11/28/2021 at 2:43 AM, Fool to cry said:

And while John may not be as prolific in these sessions the new footage shows why he was the leader for so long especially in episodes 2 and 3 when he becomes more engaged. He is incredibly charismatic. Funny and magnetic personality and you don't blame Paul for idolizing him or Yoko for wanting to be with him or poor Cynthia too. 

Not only that, he also acted as a voice of reason, and kindness.  He gently took Paul to task for being too domineering with him about his parts, showed some empathy by saying George had a wound but they didn't give him a bandaid.  And he spoke up to make sure George had some songs included, and that he got an extra take of For You Blue so he could get the guitar the way he wanted it.  

It's incredible to me that this footage has been suppressed for all these years, because it is absolutely fascinating.  It's like the best thing since sliced bread.  And it tells a much different story than what we saw in the Let it Be movie, much different.  I think the reason it hadn't been done until now is either Paul thought he came off badly in it (he comes off human, a genius human, but human), or he thought it was too depressing.  I can't imagine anyone doing a better job on this than what Peter Jackson has done.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, khyber said:

Part 3 was a joy to watch.  George and Ringo were quite the peacocks!  Love how into performing Paul got as they went through the songs in front of spectators.

He got even more animated once the police showed up. 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 11/28/2021 at 10:22 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Awww, and George, at the piano with Ringo, helps Ringo sort out the melody for "Octopus' Garden" when Ringo appears a bit stuck. Lennon/McCartney were songwriting geniuses, no doubt, but in the end, so was George Harrison.

It's just too bad it took the end of The Beatles and for "All Things Must Pass" (the album) to make everyone else realize it.

George was always my favourite Beatle and it's probably quite timely that this mega documentary has come out around the 20th anniversary of his tragic death.

I am getting towards halfway through the second instalment and what I find so ironic is that the songs John and Paul (but most likely, mainly Paul) "allowed" George to put on this album were actually not amongst his better work.  I don't mind 'I Me Mine' or 'For You Blue' but it's hard to see why they would have chosen those over 'All Things Must Pass' or 'Isn't It A Pity'!

Edited by katisha
  • Love 2

Don't want to let this thread pass without giving props to Heather for her dead on Yoko impression.  

Speaking of Yoko, I've seen a lot of people talking about how this documentary clears Yoko of causing any friction with her presence.  I'm thinking not so fast.  To be clear, I don't think Yoko broke up the Beatles and I don't blame her for anything.  I just think that if there were any incidents on film where you could see Yoko imposing, or the other Beatles being irritated about her, you weren't going to see that here.  Because Peter Jackson needed the permission of Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia Harrison to produce this documentary.  And there's no way he was going to risk ruffling anyone's feathers over it.  

There is an onscreen discussion where Paul is sticking up for Yoko being there.  My guess is that if someone was annoyed with her being there, it was George.  By the way, I heard that George's wife, Patti, moved out of their house early on in the filming here.  That may have contributed to his grumpiness that led to his leaving the band at the end of episode one.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

There is an onscreen discussion where Paul is sticking up for Yoko being there.  My guess is that if someone was annoyed with her being there, it was George.  By the way, I heard that George's wife, Patti, moved out of their house early on in the filming here.  That may have contributed to his grumpiness that led to his leaving the band at the end of episode one

They've all admitted at different times that they were bastards to her. I think it was just a totally different dynamic to how they'd worked before (no wimens allowed) and she also dared to give her opinions on the songs. I'm with them on that point though, Yoko's music is the least interesting thing about her. I'd have struggled to listen to anything she said after that screeching loop in Part 3. I read an article that was critical because Jackson avoided that and also John's heroin addiction which was very serious at the time. But I don't care. I got 9 hours watching my favorite band of all time creating a pretty great album in 3 weeks. My favorite part of the old Let It Be documentary was them jamming and ending up with "Dig It" and so I was really happy to have that little montage to it in this one. I don't know why but that song always makes me smile even though it was a throw away and everyone scoffs at it.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:36 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I LOVE "Long, Long, Long".

Everyone's fav songs are subjective, for instance I can't stand "Yesterday", but I will never understand how this one ends up as the least favorite lists of critics. But none of them really appreciate "I've got a feeling" either and that's a top 5 for me.

• Love 4

I finished watching last night, and I thought it was just so fascinating!  Just the sheer musical talent in that room -- seems like any one of them could sit down with pretty much any instrument and play it well.  And, as others upthread have said, Paul is a songwriting genius.  I also agree that moving from Twickenham was the best thing that could have happened.  If I'd been Yoko, I might have been a little bored, but at the same time, it was fun watching and listening to the lads noodling around and having fun with not only their material, but golden oldies as well.

I laughed a fair amount at Ringo, just hanging back with those bedroom eyes (or napping!), but then you could see him working out what his drum bit would be and then jumping in perfectly.

I could also see how and why George was so frustrated.  I didn't get quite the same vibe from Ringo, though. 

I do have to wonder what would have happened if Epstein hadn't died and Paul hadn't stepped into the "Daddy" role.

I loved the interviews with people on the street during the rooftop show.  And of course the policemen, trying to do their best.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I laughed a fair amount at Ringo, just hanging back with those bedroom eyes (or napping!), but then you could see him working out what his drum bit would be and then jumping in perfectly.

Ringo was rock solid, especially on the rooftop.  Another short scene I thought was kind of funny was Billy Preston sitting sideways at the organ, reading a book that he's holding with his right hand, while playing along with George's song with his left.  I can't remember the tune, but I think George was showing them a new song and Billy was working it out as they went.

I do have to wonder what would have happened if Epstein hadn't died and Paul hadn't stepped into the "Daddy" role.

I've often wondered that myself.  It seems impossible to believe that they wouldn't have stayed together longer.  Especially since the real thing that broke them up was their choice of new manager, Allen Klein, which Paul wouldn't go along with.  I don't know how Paul knew he was shady, but he apparently ended up being right in the end.  But he wanted his father in law to manage them, which I don't think would have been fair either.  

I loved the interviews with people on the street during the rooftop show.  And of course the policemen, trying to do their best.

I think they really wanted the end to be the Beatles being arrested for playing on the roof, and to use the police as the villains.  But they were just more like "Look lads, turn it down".  If it hadn't been the Beatles they might have been more threatening about arrests though.  Most of us have experienced a party where the police turned up because of a neighbor complaint.  It seemed to be more like that than anything.

I thought it was funny how some described it as the Beatles "giving a free concert", when it was really more about getting their filming done.  As was shown by their doing some songs twice.  I think they did Get Back three times.  They were trying to get the best take for the movie.

• Love 3