Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Meson de Mesilla

A group called Little Roger and the Goosebumps recorded a single Stairway to Gilligan's Island, singing the show's theme lyrics to the Led Zeppelin music... which actually got pulled from playlists because Zeppelin sued them.

Which is so not a rock-n-roll thing to do...did Zep really believe people would think it was the original?

Corporate bastards.

Supposedly, you can also play Dark Side of The Moon (Pink Floyd album, she added unnecessarily) while playing the movie The Wizard of Oz and it syncs with the characters lips moving.

I mean if you're high of course.

If Cali just didn't tell people she was a woman and advertised a "Drag Queen/ Celebrity Impersonator" it would be better for business. Better career odds as well.

• Love 5
(edited)

If Cali just didn't tell people she was a woman and advertised a "Drag Queen/ Celebrity Impersonator" it would be better for business. Better career odds as well.

You're right!

Zeppelin has always had fierce lawyers where their music is concerned, I don't blame them personally. They were right in the middle of the "don't sell out" crowd.  I remember Stairway to Gilligan's Island.  Hilarious. 

I really need to do the Pink Floyd / Wizard of Oz thing, I've been putting that off for years.  I just got so sick of DSOTM growing up in the 70's and I find it just as depressing as The Wall.  I much prefer Animals, Wish You Were Here and parts of Meddle and Ummagumma, but I guess I'm off topic enough for one day :)

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

Supposedly, you can also play Dark Side of The Moon (Pink Floyd album, she added unnecessarily) while playing the movie The Wizard of Oz and it syncs with the characters lips moving.

I think you have to start the album when the lion roars.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Las Cruces Sun-News: Sweet revenge: Crowd gathers to watch 'Hotel Hell' premiere featuring Meson De Mesilla

The Pinata prop at least IMPLIES they've stayed with Mexican food (even if the article says faux-Cher is back bigtime)

cIWv2Dy.jpg

Or maybe not Mexican food.  Here's a line from the article about what was served at this party (while Faux-Cher sang).

Despite Ramsay's criticism, 150 guests turned up for the premiere party, enjoying a meal of wings, salad, bread; stuffed pork chops, grilled salmon or lemon caper chicken; and a "tropical angel" dessert.

Many cheered as Szczawinski sang before the premiere, performing for more than an hour.

While some guests said they would tweak the food or decor, many said they have been patronizing Meson De Mesilla for years and came Monday to support Szczawinski.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
(edited)

I keep singing it now too. AHHH!

Me three. Somebody please make it stop!

Sometimes you just want Italian, or American no matter where you are. Plus, surely there are dozens of other actual authentic southwestern food restaurants within spitting distance?  Because unless this hotel has an airport shuttle (which seems doubtful--plus, what's the nearest airport?) everyone who stays there comes by car, I assume.  So it's not like being stuck at an airport hotel with no other options for food because you have no transport.

It has been a long time since I was in Las Cruces, but back then the nearest big U.S. city was El Paso, Texas. That's where we always flew in and out of. Had some great Mexican cuisine there too. Las Cruces is maybe 50 miles north of there.

Edited by Tabasco Cat

If the previous owners were in the wine business, then is that region a wine growing one? 

There are wineries in the area. In fact, The Bistro restaurant across the street from Meson de Mesilla is run by the St. Clair Winery. They serve French Country paired with wines from their vineyards. They do a very good business.

Apparently she threw a "viewing party"  Charging $60-$80 per person, and "everyone that came agreed with her that Ramsey was wrong and everyone loved her singing"

WTFever!!   I loved the looked on her face when that guy told her that he would pay her $100 not to sing. That was priceless! lol

Someone local I know attended the viewing party and confirmed the owner really is as batshit crazy as potrayed.
  • Love 3

It's awesome and you don't have to be high, although it helps. :p

I think you have to start the album when the lion roars.

Right after the third seems to sync up best. 

Sorry to hear Cali went back to her old ways. That place looked awesome.

• Love 1

I am willing to believe that Cali and Gordon are the secret parents of Chaz Bono. Chaz looks a lot more like them than Cher and Sonny.

One of the local papers near Las Cruces reported that Cali did not ask for Ramsey's help...she received a phone call from the producers asking her if she'd heard of the show and would be willing to let Gordon come to Meson. I bet some former guest tipped off the show.

One of the local papers near Las Cruces reported that Cali did not ask for Ramsey's help...she received a phone call from the producers asking her if she'd heard of the show and would be willing to let Gordon come to Meson. I bet some former guest tipped off the show.

This wouldn't shock me if only because she wasn't exactly complaining about not making any money. And correct me if I am wrong but... aside from being bland, were there any real problems with the rooms? Or with the restaurent? And there seemed to be a decent number of people in there.

Someone local I know attended the viewing party and confirmed the owner really is as batshit crazy as potrayed.

My guess is that people DID ask if she was going to sing and "supported" her over it, but that they saw it as a novelty, not as good singing.  They were there to mock her, not to actually support her. 

That said, a lot of what people are saying makes it clear that while she's a fool in many ways, that doesn't mean all of Gordon's advice and shallow analysis is magically correct.  Certainly there's plenty of room for doubt on the advice about the hotel losing any uniqueness is the area by changing its food/theme. But even something as small as the breakfast service I might question.  Sure the lame coffee and bagels type spread is lame, but the big expensive looking buffet might not have been a great idea if it's supposed to be complimentary and the hotel is supposed to bite the bullet on the cost.  Does anyone recall if the breakfast was supposed to be included (that's not an uncommon thing in hotels)?  I mean a posh free breakfast alone isn't going to draw customers to a location like that, and the lack of one was not going to specifically drive anyone away either.

Again, a lot of the decisions for the hotel would factor around what their expected market of customers is.  We were never told who that customer "is" (or is expected to be).  This show isn't exactly going out of it's way to talk about the demographics of the customer (families, business travelers, couples on a wine country tour, older, younger, high tax bracket, bargain seekers, locals out for a weekend, non-locals who come into the area from outside, etc.) and those things change a ton of what you do to accommodate them.

Some stuff (like clear rooms, good signage, good check in, etc.) is universal.  Some stuff (like posh complimentary breakfasts, "on theme" food in the hotel restaurant, maybe something like concierge service...) is not.  And some stuff (like a pool area that's well developed) is just a good idea. 

I am not impressed.  Not with this owner, but not with this show either.

• Love 2

Does anyone recall if the breakfast was supposed to be included (that's not an uncommon thing in hotels)?  I mean a posh free breakfast alone isn't going to draw customers to a location like that, and the lack of one was not going to specifically drive anyone away either.

I don't recall, but in a small place like this, I would hope it would be something you pay for. I have stayed at a lot of hotels, big and small. The chains like Hampton Inn and Quality Inn will give you a free breakfast, but it's usually cereal, do-it-yourself waffles, pastries, etc. That spread looked like something you'd pay for.

She may have been thinking that being featured on a show with Gordon Ramsay would draw new clients. If anyone bothers to read TripAdvisor or look up his lack of success with Kitchen Nightmares, it might be more of a hinderance than a benefit.

• Love 1
(edited)

Being on one of his shows gives you two "bumps".  One when he's there and local press shows up, and there's some spillover for a few weeks. The second when the episode airs.

The other thing that happens is that people slap up a signed photo of him in a restaurant foyer, mention "as seen on Fox's Kitchen Nightmares!" on their websites, and hope that draws a few extra curiosity seekers.

Eventually the local restaurant reviewers might show up and re-review the place.

If Gordon and his team have BOTHERED to test the local market and the demographics of what might work in that location, then maybe an improvement in the food helps their bottom line enough to keep them in business.  But I'm not convinced the show always does due diligence on that.  They've made a big deal on a few occasions of Gordon going out to local meeting places and asking people what kind of food the area needs, but I don't think other than those few times the show made a spectacle of it that they've bothered.

BTW: I'm aware I'm treating and talking about this show as if its the same thing as Kitchen Nightmares.  I think from the examples we have, that's pretty much how Gordon treats it. He's unqualified for most of the hotely stuff, so there's a lot of superficial analysis, but even still it's got the same issues of needing to know what the market needs (heck, even moreso with hotels).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

This what the local friend had to say.... 

>Am I correct in guessing she undid the changes he made and/or is selling it?

The selling part predates the show actually.  It's the main reason she
agreed to do the show, to find a buyer.  But yes, she went back
and painted the rooms beige and got rid of almost all the new menu items.
And got rid of the breakfast buffet.  At least she no longer has the
guests sign the damage waiver up front.

Some of the pool stuff she kept.  She did *not* bring back the
plastic grape vine and she claims that she won't be singing any more.
I find that hard to believe.

• Love 1

Count me in with the earworm crowd. I've been singing it for a week.

I thought Cali was kind of a sad, isolated woman, but she also seemed like she didn't notice or care. She was definitely not a hotel owner. She should go into lounge singing, if it's what she loves. Or at least be a Cher cover artist.

That pool area was to die for. I agree with PP about turning it into a spa or retreat.

(edited)

Did anyone notice that Ramsay's "bulge" was blurred out when he was wearing the Speedo?! Really, show???

It's funny that I didn't, seeing as I was trying  hard to look!  But that's 'Murica for you.  Women in undies all over the tee vee but a man in a Speedo? OMG!

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1
One of the local papers near Las Cruces reported that Cali did not ask for Ramsey's help...she received a phone call from the producers asking her if she'd heard of the show and would be willing to let Gordon come to Meson.

So that makes two this season (maybe three for all I know). So what is the deal? Is this show the ultimate fake, that is, the hotels aren't really struggling? The problems are completely staged? It's just an excuse for another Gordon Ramsay show on the schedule? Is he that much of a brand?

Look, I actually enjoy GR. But there has to be interesting content on his show as well as just him. I want to see hotels that haven't met their potential, getting real advice about real issues to do with the hotel business. In that respect, this episode was much better than the Apple River Lodge episode. Cali using the hotel guests as a captive audience for her singing, the poor use of the pool space, the offputting damage waiver that was presented before a guest had even checked in - those were guest-oriented things that needed to be changed. The lodge episode was just Gordon lamely and fakily attempting to fix a family's issues. I'm interested in the business side of this stuff - personal family drama, I can get elsewhere.

I think this show is going to need someone's help if they don't change the focus. Maybe Hotel Impossible can feature Hotel Hell on an episode to fix what HH is doing wrong. Now that would be an interesting show.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1