Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

I am always astounded by people on reality shows who recap events in talking heads and other conversations that directly contradict the oh so public record.  Caprice's idiotic claim that Caroline 'brought up' the baby shower again when she wasn't going to mention it is such a blatant lie I'm surprised her clothing didn't spontaneously catch on fire.  Ugh.  What a fatuous woman!  Plus, she really likes to stick herself in the middle of things that have absolutely nothing to do with her.  I hope those boys have a very good nanny, otherwise there's not much hope for a good role model at home.  I loved everyone pointing out that she should be on a plane to America rather than sitting around loudly proclaiming how worried she was that her surrogate is about to give birth.  I also loved that when she was insisting that there was no need to 'compete' with Caroline, that the first thing she mentioned was that she 'had her own fame.'  Way to prioritize!

Marissa is a class act.  She was rational, stood up for herself, was kind to everyone but refused to be a doormat.  I want to be Marissa when I grow up!

Noelle is another one that can't grasp how absolutely transparent she is.  Stirring the pot between Caprice and Caroline is exactly what she wanted.  She just forgot to account for the gigantic egos involved.  I'm sure Noelle figured the two of them wouldn't directly confront each other.

I'm with Caroline on the atrocious manners Caprice showed at the dinner party.  She shows up very late, she doesn't say hi to the hostess, she made a tremendous production out of her arrival, and doesn't make one compliment about the food.  Caroline was right to ask her to leave.  I wish I had that kind of composure when confronted by unpleasant people.

• Love 6

I have to admit as disgusting as Caprice is in pretty much every way, watching her try to control the narrative at Caroline's was hysterically funny to watch.  Especially when she coos to Marissa who then smiles sweetly and smacks that fecund sack of shit right to the floor.  But damn was Caprice desperate or what to get everyone on her side.  It was so pathetic that her talking head slams of Caroline were nothing but a voiceover of her own fucking sad efforts.  She should have tried to get on a RH show because her deliberate falsification of things viewers just saw is so that venue this current seasons.

i do love that we have video evidence of Caprice being her own worst enemy.  Over and over again we see her over worked and tweaked face and then right there.  Her mother.  My gawd I love vain stupid ugly souled people ruining their looks.  Caprice looks five years younger than her own obvious natural mother.  I LOVE IT.  I hope her mother is as pleasant as thirty second suggests for those kids sake.  Because the way Caprice talked about her boyfriend and I get a strong sense he is nothing but the sperm donor who likes the low tier celebrity ride Caprice offers.  In so many ways.

And what a difference a couple of absences make.  Without Caprice and Annabelle the rest really jelled and came off as fun.  Sure there was no stupid BRAVO type drama but for me the last scene at the polo match was much more what I wanted the season to be.  I'd love for the show to come back without Caprice and Annabelle.  Even Julie seemed like she was silly fun without having to cater to the snotty fake pretensions of the other two.  If a miracle happened and the show got renewed I'd so love for the two hoity toity wannabes get the heave and they bring on two others more willing to be silly and have fun.

I really like Marissa famewhore that she has to be.  I know I would get annoyed by some of her pollyanna approaches to things.  I know her burbled Britannia-love would grate my last nerve.  But I also know I love when some friends simply refuse to go there.  Simply refuse to tread drama because someone else can't let it go.  I also love that she does refuse to be used.   Again the look on Caprice's face when she realized her cloying simpering pretend fragile self wasn't working and Marissa was not going to let Caprice rewrite the matter for the cameras. 

I'm an easy get for BRAVO in terms of reacting with outrage, outrage i tell you, at the various over the top shenanigans of their various drama moments, but I also enjoy the light romping calm that this show was.  Even when Juliet has to keep that "angry confused rat" look on her face and Noelle tries to hide the enormous shovel behind her back.  While part of me wanted the other women to go after Noelle for her fake "I had no idea" bit in helping Caprice stir shit.  I was also glad in a way that Caroline and Juliet smirked their wry insincere but Let it Go excuses for her. 

• Love 5

I love the relationship between Caroline and Juliet.  I can't believe these are the 2 I ended up liking the most.

It cracked me up when drunk Noelle thought Marissa should be getting hell from Caroline.  Uh, Marissa's not the one that went whacking at that particular hornet's nest, you daft cow.

Marissa's obsession with the Royal Baby was adorable.  

• Love 6

Caprice is 3 years older than Caroline, yet Caroline looks 10 years younger than Caprice.

I bet that vapid cow, Noelle, is thrilled that her boyfriend is worth $34 million (20 Brit Lbs). I wouldn't doubt that she believes that he's not rich enough for her. She will dump him.

I would like a show all about Caroline. I love watching her interactions with her children and her friends. She is smart and funny.

I was not moved at all by Caprice's plot regarding her babies. I was more entertained by Marissa's obsession with Prince George's birth. Caprice is so boring. Her hair is boring. Her voice is boring. Her Botox and fillers are boring.

Annabelle needs to ride off into the sunset. I don't care if she rides off on a bicycle or a horse.

Lady Sandwich needs some deep conditioner and a fucking cheeseburger. I'm sure her life is interesting, but I just can't connect with her.

Juliet is Juliet. Quirky.

Marissa is light-hearted and harmless. Plus, she has great style. In real life, I would probably be the most drawn into a friendship with her.

• Love 5

Caprice is such an awful person inside and out. And a manipulative shallow shit. Her behavior at Caroline's house was abysmal. She was rude and standoffish. She knew she riled up Noelle the skittish drama queen drunk and let her loose. She thought she could swan into the dinner and make everyone sympathize with her, but she couldn't because that would require the ability to read a room. A thing she cannot do because she has the empathy of a rock and is hopelessly self absorbed.

Of course Annabelle got one last "McQueeeeeeeeeen!!!!!!!" in.

• Love 4

I also thought Caprice's mother looked younger than Caprice and is better looking. She has to be in her 60s. Caprice looks like she's left over from the 70s with her over plucked eyebrows. I love how she still wouldn't admit anything even after Caroline showed her the text.

Noelle reminds me Renee Zellweger. She does that just sucked on a lemon look like Renee does. And her faux accent is annoying.

I can't get over how Julie always manages to look like a hot mess. She always looks like she just rolled out of bed. For someone in her position, you'd think she'd be more polished.

Hey! Caroline kicked Caprice out of her house too just like Heather did to Shannon on RHOC!

Caroline is my fave.

I wonder if this Show will get renewed. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't

• Love 1

When Caprice was shown leaning her head over the new babies after they were placed in her arms, the angle of the camera showed how much she looks like Jocelyn Wildenstein.  YIKES, woman, back away from the plastic surgeons, and fast.  But at least now her face matches her ugly personality.  I much prefer it when someone's hideous personality is advertised on the outside, makes it easier to spot them.

I think Marissa is so lovely.  She just has this clean, refreshing air about her, and looks like she always smells nice.  I also like Caroline a great deal.  The others, eh...I could take or leave them.  I enjoyed the season overall, but it was weird to have an entire show that was completely dedicated to a pack of women taking turns pointing out how rude all the other women are.  I've never seen every single word and gesture picked apart and pounded past death so thoroughly in my life, and I watch all the Real Housewives! 

• Love 3

I'm sorry but the only thing I can see with Caprice is the seasons old reality show "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" which she "starred" in with Jose Canseco ( who lusted after her) of all people.

Well, Caprice is one of those former hot chicks who just doesn't wanna give up the hot chick thing.  Now, some at her age can still carry it off -- sorta.  But she can't.  Her eyes look like coin slots & her face looks like a Freddy Krueger mask.  The overly straight, flat hair looks awful on her & it's ageing.  I gasped when I saw her mother.  They do look only a few years apart in age.  How weird!

If this show does get another season, I'd be surprised if Annabelle returns.  Her story now is probably not what they were looking for.

• Love 2

I actually ended up liking this show. After the first episode I had my doubts. I think part of it was the scenery. London is just gorgeous. I ended up liking Juliet and Caroline the most. Juliet was able to overcome the ugly American character they set her up with and Caroline overcame the British snob they initially portrayed her as. If they do come back for a second season, my suggestions are:

Caroline and Juliet stay just as they are

Annabelle can go. She barely filmed with the others and it was clear she barley tolerated the Americans. Julie was actually better than Annabelle. 

Marissa should stay but she needs to get a stronger personality. She was overshadowed by the others and came off as a pleaser. 

I only want Noelle to stay for my personal amusement. I'm sure her wedding/engagement to Scot will be a tacky affair. Loved watching make a fool out of herself. 

Caprice can go. She was OTT and the babies storyline was made for the tabloids, not so much a reality show. I don't care to see another season of her moaning about how busy her fabulous life is. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not a fan of Caprice but why is it so terrible that she wanted the baby shower in London? If your pregnant friend said can we do it closer to home would you think that was utterly rude? I don't really understand their fight at all.

Caroline was acting just as immature. I love Caroline but how did she handle that fight well?

Edited by SoWindsor
  • Love 1
(edited)
I'm not a fan of Caprice but why is it so terrible that she wanted the baby shower in London? If your pregnant friend said can we do it closer to home would you think that was utterly rude? I don't really understand their fight at all.

I think if someone offers to throw you a baby shower, you either accept or decline. You don't negotiate terms. I also think that it's not unusual to have 2 baby showers, as long as they are involving different guests, but in this case, my guess it would be the same group, so it gave the impression she wanted to call the shots. When I was pregnant with my first, my work friends gave me a shower, and my neighborhood friends gave me another. As far as Caprice, she was all happy about the shower, until she realized that the paps would probably not be able to take pictures way out in Caroline's neighborhood. Since her goal is to be in the tabloids, she decided that the host should change all her plans, including venue, to accommodate the papparazzi who she or her publicist would call that day. I think that it was very rude to then ask someone else who would comply with her wishes.

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 9

I love Caroline but how did she handle that fight well?

Ditto. Caroline is by far my favorite and I usually like the way she handles all the drama...but during that fight with Caprice I felt like she really succumbed to all the pettiness, especially when she was insisting to go get her phone. I wish she had just refused to get sucked into the "arguing like fishwives," as she terms it. Oh well, I still love Caroline.

How wasted was Noelle when she out there to whine at Caprice and Marissa about Caroline being oh-so-mean to her....she was just mumbling gibberish at one point. 

We finally get an episode when Juliet isn't shrieking about anything! Too bad it was the last episode =( Yeah though, she looked so beat when she was at Caroline's house with her family...like she rolled out of bed and didn't even both to shower.

Yeah though, she looked so beat when she was at Caroline's house with her family...like she rolled out of bed and didn't even both to shower.

See,and I thought that was refreshing!  I thought it was nice that Juliet didn't feel the need to put on three pounds of make-up that would be more suitable for a formal night out just to sit on a friend's patio for the afternoon as their kids played together.

And what a difference a couple of absences make.  Without Caprice and Annabelle the rest really jelled and came off as fun.  Sure there was no stupid BRAVO type drama but for me the last scene at the polo match was much more what I wanted the season to be.  I'd love for the show to come back without Caprice and Annabell

I agree 100%.  I think with the remaining group, the show could do a little more about their professional lives as well as how they interact socially.  As much as a train wreck as Noelle is, she is kind of fun to watch.

• Love 2

I think if someone offers to throw you a baby shower, you either accept or decline. You don't negotiate terms. I also think that it's not unusual to have 2 baby showers, as long as they are involving different guests, but in this case, my guess it would be the same group, so it gave the impression she wanted to call the shots.

Absolutely this. Honestly, if Caprice wanted a specific shower in a specific location, she was better off planning it on her own.

I thought Caprice was awful this episode, and had no issue with Caroline telling her to leave her home. Caroline was much nicer than I would have been.

• Love 3

To me Caprice just got lucky.  She came to London with that "California girl" look that perhaps was considered exotic there at the time.  She capitalized on her looks but then as she aged and time passed, she's just not that special anymore, but there she is, trying to stay in the spotlight, trying to remain relevant. 

If someone offers to throw you a baby shower, you either say yes or no.  Caprice could have told Caroline, "Thank you but your home is too far."  But she waited and it seemed that Caroline had already arranged things.  I mean it's not like Caprice didn't know where Caroline lived when she offered to throw a shower for her.  But I have a feeling that Caprice wanted it in a restaurant because she wanted to call the press and turn it into a media event and that couldn't happen at Caroline's home.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think if someone offers to throw you a baby shower, you either accept or decline. You don't negotiate terms. I also think that it's not unusual to have 2 baby showers, as long as they are involving different guests, but in this case, my guess it would be the same group, so it gave the impression she wanted to call the shots. When I was pregnant with my first, my work friends gave me a shower, and my neighborhood friends gave me another. As far as Caprice, she was all happy about the shower, until she realized that the paps would probably not be able to take pictures way out in Caroline's neighborhood. Since her goal is to be in the tabloids, she decided that the host should change all her plans, including venue, to accommodate the papparazzi who she or her publicist would call that day. I think that it was very rude to then ask someone else who would comply with her wishes.

However, I don't think Caroline initially offered to host the baby shower.  Caprice asked her to and Caroline agreed to do it.  Caprice's attitude seemed to be "I want to plan the baby shower I want and you get to pay for it!"

Absolutely this. Honestly, if Caprice wanted a specific shower in a specific location, she was better off planning it on her own.

I thought Caprice was awful this episode, and had no issue with Caroline telling her to leave her home. Caroline was much nicer than I would have been.

Although, to be technical, since they're all into manners and etiquette, it's bad manners to throw a "shower" for yourself.  I was going to copy and paste an excerpt from Miss Manners on the topic to highlight the multiple ways that Caprice has not followed proper etiquette with respect to baby showers, but I decided it would going too far off topic.  Anyone that's curious can find information on this site:   http://entertainmentguide.local.com/miss-manners-baby-shower-etiquette-10098.html

I was only kind of half-watching when the first baby was born (to the surrogate) -- I saw Caprice holding the baby and kissing his head.  But, I definitely looked up when the second baby was born (to Caprice) and saw that she almost immediately started breastfeeding him.  Was I the only one wondering if she breastfed the first baby before the second baby was born?  

Edited by MMLEsq
Was I the only one wondering if she breastfed the first baby before the second baby was born?

No, I had the same thought.  I also wondered if she was able to breastfeed the first baby before the second one was born?  Since I don't have children, I am not familiar with the ins and outs of this kind of thing.

(edited)

Since Prince George just turned 1, we know that this was filmed a year ago. Marissa was so funny about him. I did the same thing, though. Watching the hospital door online at work.

A couple of times I forgot that Annabelle was on the show. I agree that we can lose her and Caprice if the show gets renewed.

Was Noelle's fake accent getting stronger the drunker she got? LOL

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 3
(edited)

What I didn't understand was why Caprice was shown in a hospital gown with the surrogate's baby when clearly she was not the one to give birth. That was weird. And add me to the crew of people who wonder if she was able to breastfeed surrogate baby before the other was born. I don't have children so I have no idea how that works. As far as baby shower-gate, I am on Caroline's side. Even though it's considered bad form to plan your own baby shower I think it's still more acceptable than being a super control freak and dictating your expectations to friends who you've asked to do it...after you already rejected one offer. The rest of them came off just fine. Except Annabelle, who felt like an afterthought. Although she always did anyway with her McQueen stuff and horses. I don't think she really interacted with or even liked any of the other women on the show.

Edited by fliptopbox
(edited)

However, I don't think Caroline initially offered to host the baby shower.  Caprice asked her to and Caroline agreed to do it.  Caprice's attitude seemed to be "I want to plan the baby shower I want and you get to pay for it!"

Although, to be technical, since they're all into manners and etiquette, it's bad manners to throw a "shower" for yourself.  I was going to copy and paste and excerpt from Miss Manners on the topic to highlight the multiple ways that Caprice has not followed proper etiquette with respect to baby showers.  Anyone that's curious can find information on this site:   http://entertainmentguide.local.com/miss-manners-baby-shower-etiquette-10098.html

I know in their circle it's likely frowned upon, but to me, throwing your shower and asking someone to throw it is equally tacky. Might as well plan your own so you can get what you want instead of telling the host (who didn't offer) what you want. Once Caroline accepted the offer, Caprice should have just accepted whatever Caroline had planned. It's awkward as hell to begin with to ask someone to throw a party in your honor, so yeah, be grateful and just accept the party for what it is.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Caprice was beyond annoying this episode!!!

I cannot stand it when women play the whole victim routine when they're being outwitted in a disagreement---after hearing her constant whining about how Caroline is "so mean" and such a "bully" to her for the nth time, I was ready to punch all the collagen right out of those sluggy lips of hers!

The thing is, she seemed really sweet, smart and savvy on "The Surreal Life", which I believe was on maybe 10 or more years ago??

She was still pretty then and most of the men were lusting over her, but she was already starting with the obvious facial work even back then because she still had a subtle bit of a plastic sheen to her "look." I think even back then it was obvious she was destined to become a PS addict. And she already had the faux Brit accent too.

I wish they'd do a spin-off of this show just featuring Caroline and her fabulous life.

If that horrendous creature Courtney Kerr from the abysmal flop "Most Eligible Dallas" could somehow snag her own spin-off show, why can't Caroline??

• Love 1

I get so tired of some of the women on Bravo shows who claim that the others are bullying them. It happens  on this show and most of the HW franchises. These women need to read the definition of bullying. Bullying is the use of force, threat or coercion to abuse, intimidate or impose your will on another and it is mainly used in the context of school aged children or to a lesser extent, the workplace (where it is normally referred to as harrassment).  Bullying is not when others call you out on your shit and you don't have an answer. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I also wondered if she was able to breastfeed the first baby before the second one was born?

I don't know if she did breastfeed the first baby, but it is possible.  You can pump your breastmilk (& something called colostrum--which is basically nutrient-rich pre-milk) before your child is born.  Doctors sometimes suggest it to mothers giving birth to multiples.  I think you can start as early as 36 weeks (for one child/birth) & 32 weeks for multiples.  I only had one baby so I didn't pre-pump, because I didn't have to worry about it.

Edited by OnceSane

What I didn't understand was why Caprice was shown in a hospital gown with the surrogate's baby when clearly she was not the one to give birth. That was weird. And add me to the crew of people who wonder if she was able to breastfeed surrogate baby before the other was born. I don't have children so I have no idea how that works. .

I don't think she was breastfeeding. She was having skin to skin contact for bonding purposes.

It is done so that the baby has immediate skin to skin contact with his mother or the person who will be his parent. Other people have done this when they've had babies born via surrogate. In many cases, the baby is born and immediately handed to the non-surrogate parent. This recently happened with a gay couple who had a surrogate. One of the men was there, in a hospital gown, waiting to be the first person to have skin to skin contact with the baby.

Well, thank God that's over. I hate everyone and they're all wrong. I was done with it when we started with the "she didn't greet the hostess" vs. "she didn't stand up to greet me" debate. At that point I realized they were both going to twist things to suit their respective versions of reality.

I think it's kind of funny that Annabelle had one fight with Juliet and other than her whole storyline has been about Alexander! and her accident. That makes her more of a "friend of" doesn't it, especially with everyone using her as a sounding board?

OMG, they finally went to boujis. I will never stop finding that name funny.

The last scene hammered home just how imbalanced the cast is. They needed to cast all Brits. They should have mixed highbrow ladies who aren't so posh that they wouldn't sign up for a reality show with regular old reality TV trash.

Caprice is 3 years older than Caroline, yet Caroline looks 10 years younger than Caprice.

I think they both have issues. I was so distracted by her eyeliner during the fight. How much is she paying her makeup artist? Seriously, I could do a better job.

Ditto. Caroline is by far my favorite and I usually like the way she handles all the drama...but during that fight with Caprice I felt like she really succumbed to all the pettiness, especially when she was insisting to go get her phone. I wish she had just refused to get sucked into the "arguing like fishwives," as she terms it. Oh well, I still love Caroline.

I started hating Caroline. I still hate Caroline. And yeah, she was just as ridiculous as Caprice in that fight. I hate her so much I deleted the episode off the DVR before breaking down every stupid thing she said. 

It would take a miracle to get this show back. Honestly, if they want to do something in England, they need to scrap the whole cast and get more actual Brits. Maybe keep Noelle. I do so want to see that wedding. And her semi-British accent makes me laugh.

• Love 2
(edited)

See,and I thought that was refreshing!  I thought it was nice that Juliet didn't feel the need to put on three pounds of make-up that would be more suitable for a formal night out just to sit on a friend's patio for the afternoon as their kids played together.

Agreed!  That scene was the first one of the whole season where she came across as somewhat real and more relatable. Not just her casual appearance, but I felt like she was acting less "affected" or something.  Or maybe I'm just imagining things-it happens. 

I think Marissa is so lovely.  She just has this clean, refreshing air about her, and looks like she always smells nice.  I also like Caroline a great deal.  The others, eh...I could take or leave them.

Yep, this about sums it up for me.  Marissa managed to come across as sweet and likeable, yet not phony or an ass-kisser.  And she's just adorable.  Caroline is just plain entertaining! 

I'm sorry but the only thing I can see with Caprice is the seasons old reality show "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" which she "starred" in with Jose Canseco ( who lusted after her) of all people.

It was on the Surreal Life that Jose lusted after her.  What a different impression she made on me back then.  Being that they were surrounded by some true CRAZIES on that season (Janice Dickinson... Omarosa!!) she appeared to be nice and normal.  Now?  Ugh, pretentious, dumbass famewhore. 

Edited by Duke2801

I didn't realize this was the last episode, let alone the series finale.

That's disappointing. I enjoyed the manor houses and polo matches. You can't tell me people would rather get a peek at Vicki Gunvalson's time share in Cabo?

We haven't even seen Juliet spit out a petit four during afternoon tea at The Dorchester!

I appreciated Noelle for saying "OMG, what have I started?" in her talking head segment. That's an admission I've never heard expressed in a reality show.  Ditto Capper's husband's (?) observation--something like, "Well that was a lot of drama you created over nothing." Ha!

Caroline, you're welcome on my tv anytime.  PM me.

Fun while it lasted. Cheerio, all.

That's disappointing. I enjoyed the manor houses and polo matches. You can't tell me people would rather get a peek at Vicki Gunvalson's time share in Cabo?

We haven't even seen Juliet spit out a petit four during afternoon tea at The Dorchester!

I appreciated Noelle for saying "OMG, what have I started?" in her talking head segment. That's an admission I've never heard expressed in a reality show.  Ditto Capper's husband's (?) observation--something like, "Well that was a lot of drama you created over nothing." Ha!

Caroline, you're welcome on my tv anytime.  PM me.

Fun while it lasted. Cheerio, all.

does everyone know for sure if its being cancelled?  I hope not, why can't I have nice things?  :(

i thought the show was a great summer show.  I wouldn't want it to compete with RHOA or Top Chef, but I think for a summer show it was a lot of fun.  I assumed most summer shows did poorly because people are out having fun and enjoying the summer.  

If they were to agree to another season I agree that Annabelle is probably a non-starter...unless she can actually somehow speak to McQueen at a seance or something.  Or maybe if she were just to let herself go a little.  

I enjoyed this show more than I thought I would. Yet I can't help but think that the producers expected Caprice to be the stand-out popular cast member. That's why all the lead up to the babies' births in the finale. I don't think they counted on Caprice turning a lot if people off with her entitled whining and self-obsession. So by the time the babies arrived I really didn't care. I found Caroline and the Americans so much more fun and interesting and, frankly I expected to "love to hate" Caroline. But she saved herself with her witticisms, common sense and the ability to make fun of herself. Hope there is a Season 2.

• Love 3
(edited)

In Caroline's defense, she acknowledged (after her phone conversation with Annabelle) that she didn't think she could take the high road this time. If I had been her, I wouldn't have continued to engage with Caprice. Hindsight's 20/20.

I think she was just truly fed up with Caprice.

Each woman has bad qualities, but I don't understand how anyone could tolerate being around Caprice for too long. She's not the only working woman in the world nor is she the first woman to have chosen to have children. Hell, there are working moms in the world. I wish people like her would acknowledge that life can be busy and difficult for everyone.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

No decisions have been made yet.  The ratings for the finale were OK, but still not what it takes for them renew for sure-

http://bravoratings.com/2014/04/30/ladies-of-london-season-1/

I think the show has potential.  Hope Bravo peeps see that.  Just needs a few changes.  The biggest prob is the ratings have been tepid & it's not being talked about much.  They need to promote it more.  Annabelle isn't bringing much & probably can't now, so she needs to be replaced.  I think they need to add a few more crazy eccentric Brits.  They can keep Caprice.  She'll bring more shit-stirring crazy if they need it.

i definitely think Caroline handled Caprice masterfully.  Caprice was trying to play reality show victim and was throwing out all kinds of dubious vague but damning accusations about Caroline.  And Caroline could see how Caprice was trying to match up the narrative of her sad martyred Madonna to be just trying to make evil Caroline see how wrong she was with the completely predictable talking heads that Caprice still went ahead with as a rewrite of actual events.  I think Caroline can be a real piece of work. And while I think she would make a great friend, I think you have to put in a lot of work to get to that point.  I also suspect it is shaky ground even when you are in good with her.  I suspect she is easily offended and you put work in the relationship than she ever does.  But the payoffs probably are good.

Still, that all said, I loved watching her play Caprice.  Caprice thought she was creating the narrative and Caroline just kept her in play.  And so we saw Caprice running back and forth insisting she was leaving over and over again, desperate to reach a point her later talking heads could support.  And it never happened.  Caroline was not going for what is proper.  She was playing on Caprice's level.  And most of the times I'd find even a tiny bit of fault in that.  But not in this case.   It was rather glorious in a subtle nuanced way.  Caroline brilliantly figured out Caprice's reality show game and trumped her no doubt plastic ass.

And a huge supporting role award goes to Marissa who saw the exact same thing and raised the stakes in the right way and right moment and blindsided Caprice in a way that gross pig couldn't even think past let alone answer directly.  To the point that even her little lackey Julie just stood back and let Caprice take the hit. 

It is ironic that this quiet little show had one of the most contrived women in BRAVO history go to incredible levels to create tension and conflict that didn't even exist.  And gets the most complete and utter shut downs ever.  Caroline had every step figured out and was one step ahead and Marissa goes all smiling stealth.  

I actually want Noelle to come back simply because she provides a wonderful punching bag for Caroline.  Just enough sharp digs to someone that deserves all that and more.  And desperate enough to grit her teeth and bare it for the most part. 

• Love 2

I think the show has potential.  Hope Bravo peeps see that.  Just needs a few changes.  The biggest prob is the ratings have been tepid & it's not being talked about much.  They need to promote it more.  Annabelle isn't bringing much & probably can't now, so she needs to be replaced.  I think they need to add a few more crazy eccentric Brits.  They can keep Caprice.  She'll bring more shit-stirring crazy if they need it.

I've only started watching more Bravo recently. Other than Project Runway and Top Chef (and some of the other fashion and design shows). So to compare this to other shows I've watched, I'll say it's better than Eat, Pray, Love, not as good as Princesses Long Island and the jury's still out on Game of Crowns. They need more Brits and they need more people on Caroline's level. Maybe I'm just saying this as apparently one of the only people who has hated her from the beginning and continues to hate her but I want someone who can take her down. Both a nice, posh version like a British Marisa and a nasty version who is even more vicious than she is. Seriously, I have not been impressed with her "wit" or snark at all.

And so we saw Caprice running back and forth insisting she was leaving over and over again, desperate to reach a point her later talking heads could support.  And it never happened.  Caroline was not going for what is proper.  She was playing on Caprice's level.

I kind of agree and disagree. I do think Caprice was trying to be all, I'm pregnant and therefore a mothering influence and I want to take care of Noelle and Marisa, so in that sense she was creating a narrative. But I also think that she was right to want to defend them. As we saw from the clips, Noelle only said that Caroline had been giving them a hard time (which was true) and Caprice was the one who used the word "bully." That said, by going back she let Caroline win because Caroline got to kick her out, whereas before she'd been the one to leave.

(edited)

I hope this show gets a second season.  I actually think I would like it if all the women returned.  Every show needs its antihero, and Juliet, Noelle, and Caprice work for me.  As for Annabelle, the last few episodes she has seemed much more the voice of reason.  I like that Caprice clearly called her for support and she wasn't mean, but she wouldn't just roll over and agree.  But she is another one who needs a cheeseburger, she was looking damn near skeletal. I just noticed just how noticeable Noelle's faux British accent is.  And please with the nicknames, how hard is it to say "Caprice", why would you call her "Cap?"

But Cap (insert sarcastic eyeroll here) was amazingly rude at the party, and I have no idea where she gets off being a victim.  First off, no one did anything to her.  Caroline was giving shit to two other people, who you put in a bad position by asking them to host a baby shower for you, and probably not telling them that you had already asked Caroline to do it.  Not that Caroline had offered, but that you had asked her.  Caprice put them in that position and she put Caroline in the position of having put out all this effort and expense just to be told that whatever she had planned wasn't going to work for her highness Caprice.  She could have even had two baby showers, just asked Caroline to have a small one at her house for close friends and family and then ask Marissa and Noelle to host a more public, splashy baby shower with a different group of people at the restaurant.  But nevermind any of that, Caroline didn't do anything to her, so when did she become a victim in everything, when did she become so put upon?  Especially since it doesn't sound like anyone asked her to intervene.

Second, universal manners and just decency say that you don't walk into someone's house for a dinner party and not even acknowledge them.  And once she realized she had "pregnancy brain" or whatever, she should have gone back and apologized, instead she insisted that she was somehow a victim.

Third, how are you a victim when you're insulting someone in their own home and you're asked to leave?

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 2

I do agree with the comment that there should be more Brittish women. I didn't care much for Annabelle, it doesn't seem anyone else did, but they could replace her and bring in a couple more Britt's IMO. That said, I really don't want to get rid of the American women either, because, with the exception of Marissa, the others are so snarkworthy it would be ashamed to lose them. However, I would really like to see a bit more of the Natives.   

• Love 1
sad martyred Madonna

That had me laughing out loud!  It's the perfect description for the role Caprice was playing on this show.  I've never seen a soon-to-be mom seem so sad and haggard and put-upon all the time! 

I enjoyed this show and really hope it does come back.  Annabelle and Caprice did nothing for me, but the rest can come back, especially Julie who really brought the house & garden porn.  More of that, please!

Annabelle probably wouldn't be in a second season.  The only two storylines centered around her were the public fashion show and the public race.  If she hadn't gone flying off that horse, the glimpses into A's private life would have been zero.

I worried a little bit that a lovely young woman with a privileged background really had NOTHING to offer other than her affiliation with a dead designer.  But more likely she found the whole experience gauche and chose to keep her personal life private.  She may have had second thoughts or she MAY have only signed up to get some coverage for the designer she was mentoring.

Even though I defended Juliet a few times this season (because that's just me, I like defending the people that no one else defends) I'm done with her. She can go. She contributes nothing.

If anything this show was Annabelle's first real attempt at pubic attention that wasn't gauche.  Though it would be nice for those that like her to send her a link to being called a lovely young woman.  Claws and crows feet is more how I see her but different perspectives is what makes the world go round. 

I suspect if Annabelle didn't come back in a hypothetical second season it would be either she was found too dull or if it was by her choice and going by her attitude from the start, it would be due to her being miffed the show didn't revolve around her pancake ass and pudding face.  She can do all the soft voiced talking heads and looks into the distance but her own past and present are pretty much out there as someone who would mount a camera and ride like a horse.  And never fall off.  Not the pro Caprice is but her amateur card is pretty full. 

The fun bit with Annabelle was anyone having a clue to her life up to this was the wonderful back and forth between *McQueen* and her aristocratic upbringing back to *McQueen* and then back to whispy post modern Sloane Ranger.  It was so silly and bizarre in so many ways.  I think Annabelle with a gun glomming on to the likes of the Montagus was the closest thing to the little greedy grabby arriviste she was when she snagged Nat.  That was actually an interesting Annabelle,  not the terrified crash test dummy approach to riding competitively or her over maudlin attempts at being tragically interesting.  Annabelle has climbed her share of social ladders and it would have been nice to see that side of what is still a grimly but hysterically funny aspect of British society.  It's funny that Marissa as a club owner is the only one that truly seems to see that.  And is still the most gleefully unabashed fan of the overly British tropes Americans suck up like a Dyson and yet then stupidly think George III was a tyrant who we rebelled against and wave our flags in even weirder anti-British angst. 

Heck I'm dying to know if she is still stretching out her marriage settlement or if she really did cozy up to Khaddafi's sons with Nat even after the marriage ended.  There were all kinds of rumblings about Libyan money in the scrambling aspirational set in the last decade or so.  And I know just through the feeble lines of information during an internship that money was flowing out of the N. African dictatorships post 9/11 like it was candy out of the back of a stranger's van.

Actually that might be Annabelle's best quality on a show like this.  Her own self-awareness on how limited the fake little legend of Annabelle Neilson is when all is said and done. 

*McQueen*

I think I'm going to start to do that.  During a conversation just get a little misty eyed look off to the side to some imaginary horizon and whisper "McQueen" into the slightest of pauses.

• Love 3

Agreed!  That scene was the first one of the whole season where she came across as somewhat real and more relatable. Not just her casual appearance, but I felt like she was acting less "affected" or something.  Or maybe I'm just imagining things-it happens. 

Yep, this about sums it up for me.  Marissa managed to come across as sweet and likeable, yet not phony or an ass-kisser.  And she's just adorable.  Caroline is just plain entertaining! 

It was on the Surreal Life that Jose lusted after her.  What a different impression she made on me back then.  Being that they were surrounded by some true CRAZIES on that season (Janice Dickinson... Omarosa!!) she appeared to be nice and normal.  Now?  Ugh, pretentious, dumbass famewhore.

You are correct, sorry I referenced the wrong show. It did however prompt me to go read her Wikipedia page which is very "interesting" in the personal life info section.

If anything this show was Annabelle's first real attempt at pubic attention that wasn't gauche.  Though it would be nice for those that like her to send her a link to being called a lovely young woman.  Claws and crows feet is more how I see her but different perspectives is what makes the world go round. 

I suspect if Annabelle didn't come back in a hypothetical second season it would be either she was found too dull or if it was by her choice and going by her attitude from the start, it would be due to her being miffed the show didn't revolve around her pancake ass and pudding face.  She can do all the soft voiced talking heads and looks into the distance but her own past and present are pretty much out there as someone who would mount a camera and ride like a horse.  And never fall off.  Not the pro Caprice is but her amateur card is pretty full. 

The fun bit with Annabelle was anyone having a clue to her life up to this was the wonderful back and forth between *McQueen* and her aristocratic upbringing back to *McQueen* and then back to whispy post modern Sloane Ranger.  It was so silly and bizarre in so many ways.  I think Annabelle with a gun glomming on to the likes of the Montagus was the closest thing to the little greedy grabby arriviste she was when she snagged Nat.  That was actually an interesting Annabelle,  not the terrified crash test dummy approach to riding competitively or her over maudlin attempts at being tragically interesting.  Annabelle has climbed her share of social ladders and it would have been nice to see that side of what is still a grimly but hysterically funny aspect of British society.  It's funny that Marissa as a club owner is the only one that truly seems to see that.  And is still the most gleefully unabashed fan of the overly British tropes Americans suck up like a Dyson and yet then stupidly think George III was a tyrant who we rebelled against and wave our flags in even weirder anti-British angst. 

Heck I'm dying to know if she is still stretching out her marriage settlement or if she really did cozy up to Khaddafi's sons with Nat even after the marriage ended.  There were all kinds of rumblings about Libyan money in the scrambling aspirational set in the last decade or so.  And I know just through the feeble lines of information during an internship that money was flowing out of the N. African dictatorships post 9/11 like it was candy out of the back of a stranger's van.

Actually that might be Annabelle's best quality on a show like this.  Her own self-awareness on how limited the fake little legend of Annabelle Neilson is when all is said and done. 

*McQueen*

I think I'm going to start to do that.  During a conversation just get a little misty eyed look off to the side to some imaginary horizon and whisper "McQueen" into the slightest of pauses.

Not an Annabelle fan, then?  Smile.

I didn't do the least bit of research past watching the show--apparently A. could have pulled all kinds of interesting bits out of her kit for Show & Tell.  Sounds like "aristocratic reticence" wasn't the problem.  I retract.

I would've sworn I'd never heard of any of these women.  Reading this board, I learned--and it's embarrassing to admit this--I must have seen Caprice on both "Surreal Life" and "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here."  Bless her small black heart, she made no impression on me at all.  My aging sieve-brain still retains multiple characters from those shows--Flavor Flav and his giant clock (cLock), Janice Dickinson being inconvenienced by the very air she breathed, the affable Frangela, Heidi & Spence [shudder] . . .

Somewhere around here, someone mentioned Jill Zarin really wanted to be featured on a Housewife show set in London and even toured real estate so as to be in position.  How 'bout them apples?