Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Runaway Chef

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Following Captain Lee and Shane’s conversation, the deck team must deal with the fallout. Rachel struggles with her long-distance relationship while James and Elizabeth’s attraction to each other becomes obvious. Tensions reach a new high after a critical mistake pushes Francesca to consider a stew replacement, and Rachel makes an impulsive decision, taking the whole crew by surprise.

Airdate: 12.14.2020

• Useful 1

No one here yet? My stupid DVR didn’t record so I’m catching the last 5 mins and my mind is blown by Rachel. What the fuck happened?  I’ll have to try to record again when it replays overnight. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Rachel seems to display a lot of the signs of alcoholism, including her personality change after a few drinks 🍷.

Good point!  She was already horribly "homesick" and the over the top preference sheet just sent her over the cliff.  Or did she use that for an excuse?  Lee tried to accommodate her, but she was determined to leave.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Good point!  She was already horribly "homesick" and the over the top preference sheet just sent her over the cliff.  Or did she use that for an excuse?  Lee tried to accommodate her, but she was determined to leave.

Yeah I got the feeling she was actually wanting Lee to fire her.

Saw a bit of WWHL and Andy asked Kate about Rachel because they’d worked together before. She said that Rachel would quit one day and then be back the next and that she’d done it multiple times. So I’ll be curious if she comes back. Though given the timeline they’re showing us, she could just be better off given the approach of corona virus.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

JFC, this is the WORST crew I have ever seen.  Here is my ranking of remaining crew members, LEAST to MOST competent:

Crazy Chef (Rachel)

New Age Stew (Elizabeth)

Deck whatever (James)

Bosun (Eddie)

Chief Stew (Francesca)

3rd Deckhand/Former Stew (Izzy)

3rd Stew (Ashling)

Yes, I had to look up a bunch of names.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 4

Im speculating that Rachel comes back because by that time flights to Italy could’ve been halted.   She’s there now under lockdown.  I was laughing my ass off because her explosion just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 8

I also think that Rachel will be back.  I don't know what happened, but she really had some crazy meltdown.  It seems like she thrives on being busy and downtime between the charters threw her for a loop.  Bi-polar?  I don't know, but she definitely has some issues.

Another reason I think she will be back is that Captain Lee, post-season (on WWHL) said that Rachel was the best chef he ever had on charter.  If she just walked out after delivering a vulgarity-laden tirade and did not return, leaving Captain Lee without a chef, I highly doubt he would have said that.

I wonder if maybe Rachel was still drunk from the previous night (or maybe had been drinking still prior to the preference sheet meeting).  Her language was extremely crude and completely disrespectful to Captain Lee, Eddie and Francesca.  I was actually pretty shocked listening to her, and bad language doesn't usually shock me.  If anything, she owes every person present a HUGE apology.  

Rachel may be an amazing and talented chef, but her personality is losing me.  She goes from zero to 1,000 in either temper or crying jags quite easily.  

How long has it been since she has seen her boyfriend?  Two weeks or so?  

Having said that, these upcoming guests' preference sheets are absolutely ridiculous, starting with demanding they have rainbow unicorn floats as an absolute requirement, and ending with the endless food requests.  I can see why Rachel would flip out.  If she were to even attempt all of their "preferences", she would be never have a moment's rest, and with no sous chef or even a fully competent stew crew to assist, it would be next to impossible to produce all of that with the high quality they obviously are demanding.  

I was also quite surprised at Captain Lee's reaction, or non-reaction, if you will, to Rachel's outburst.  You could tell he was, at first, completely taken aback, and then, when she ended with "Go 'f' yourself", he was pissed.  I really was surprised that he didn't completely lose his temper - I know I would have.  He displayed more bad temper complaining about James re-washing parts of the yacht after it had already been done.

Overall, this season is underwhelming to me.  I miss Kate and her snarky commentary.  I'm not feeling any real camaraderie between any of these crew members.  I'm glad for no on-board romances, so far, but I'd like to see some crew bonding, and it's just not there.  

It's also interesting to see that this crew has yet to go out to dinner and then a dance club/bar after.  I wonder if this is something that is being discouraged or not allowed by production after all of the drunken craziness of last season, or if there is just no sexual tensions brewing with this group, so no need to fuel that fire with more alcohol.

Wonder who the new deckie will be....wonder if it will be someone from a past season.  Would love to see Colin from BD Med, but I doubt it.  

• Love 12

Lol what a horrible season. This seems like one of the worst casts yet. 

Something is wrong with Rachel. She’s so gross and something just seems off with her. I also think she used the preference sheet as an excuse to leave. Covid was really ramping up in Italy around then so she probably can’t even get to her boyfriend.

With covid can they even find replacements for all this staff leaving?

Edited by Marley
  • Love 10

Absolutely do not buy that mixing bleach and soap is toxic and can make mustard gas. I routinely add bleach to towels in the washing machine. Mixing bleach and ammonia is a huge no no. The guy who was sniffing around trying to find where the smell was coming from kept saying that you could not mix soap and bleach and Francesca picked up on this and started claiming that Elizabeth put the crew at risk. Bravo should check Snopes before putting this false story out there. And yes bleach smells awful straight out of the bottle and dopey Elizabeth should not have left it inside where she did. I am not sure that I buy that she just put it on the floor and walked out. Francesca just told her to take it outside. This whole thing smells like a Bravo setup to add a little drama. Pun intended. 

1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 11

Rachel quits a day before the next charter not giving a flip about her coworkers but I have a feeling she reconsiders and returns to the galley but how will her coworkers act towards her, will it be awkward until she apologizes for leaving everyone high and dry?  I thought a good chef would enjoy the challenge of a demanding guest, it is a chance to stretch the chef muscles.

I did like Capt. Lee telling Rachel that even though the guests asked for the moon does not mean they will get it if he was thinking Rachel was overwhelmed by the ridiculous demands.  Some ingredients may not even be available so Rachel has the power to nix a menu request, she really does have all the power...maybe Capt. Lee could assign a temp sous chef for just this charter.

Once again I find myself wondering what sort of super humans the crew are if they can proclaim how they want to get wasted and do get wasted but they are able to be up early the next day to ready the boat for the next charter.  

• Love 8

This season has been so disjointed. People lax or not doing their jobs. Others that do, but complain to the heavens about it. 
I’m sure Rachael will be back. Any future employer seeing this clip would give her a hard pass on hiring if she doesn’t. I think everyone including Capt Lee are over this season and they are just half way through it. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Absolutely do not buy that mixing bleach and soap is toxic and can make mustard gas. I routinely add bleach to towels in the washing machine. Mixing bleach and ammonia is a huge no no. The guy who was sniffing around trying to find where the smell was coming from kept saying that you could not mix soap and bleach and Francesca picked up on this and started claiming that Elizabeth put the crew at risk. Bravo should check Snopes before putting this false story out there. And yes bleach smells awful straight out of the bottle and dopey Elizabeth should not have left it inside where she did. I am not sure that I buy that she just put it on the floor and walked out. Francesca just told her to take it outside. This whole thing smells like a Bravo setup to add a little drama. Pun intended. 

Some soaps are ok, but some soaps do contain ammonia.  Dawn dish soap is ok, but Palmolive contains ammonia so you can create a lethal gas with that.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

Rachel went from 0 to 100 in record time. I'm wondering if she has a mental health disorder such as Bipolar.  Her behavior reminded me of manic episodes that some of my former clients experienced, when I was a mental health case manager. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m sure Rachael will be back.

In the previews of the season, there is a scene where Rachael and Eddie are maniacally laughing and I don't think that has been shown yet. She'll be back.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I thought a good chef would enjoy the challenge of a demanding guest, it is a chance to stretch the chef muscles.

I think that is something a demanding person might tell themselves to excuse their own behavior.  Rachel's behavior was very much all over the place, but part of me did appreciate seeing someone who was willing to say "no," and walk away when confronted with ridiculous sounding demands from the guests. 

• Love 9

I hope Rachel comes back.  When she's not being bonkers her food seems amazing.

12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I wonder if maybe Rachel was still drunk from the previous night (or maybe had been drinking still prior to the preference sheet meeting).

That morning there were multiple shots of her drinking from a plastic cup.  I kept expecting them to imply or reveal that she was still drinking - although I assume if Bravo had actual footage/proof of that they would have used it.  Her behavior at the meeting sure implied it to me.

• Love 7

Rachel's outburst with the captain and other crew was hard to understand. I too was suprised that Captain Lee didn't respond with more outrage and shut her down immediately, but I think he was confused by her looking him in the eye and saying "Fuck you!" followed immediately by something like "I love you, you're wonderful, it's not you" and then another "fuck you, eat my ass, you can suck my dick" to Captain Lee and everyone else at the table.

She seemed to be saying those things directly to the people in the room with her --- a lot of "you" thrown around -- but then she'd say something nice to them as if she weren't talking to them. Her vulgarity is off the charts and off putting. I might have admired her for standing up to the outrageous demands of another bunch of douchebags with no taste, but that hissy fit was so out of line.

I think it's pretty clear she was drunk and her drunky mean side came out. The editors made a point of showing Rachel drinking from a cocktail glass when she was talking smack about the chief stew with the other stew. 

Captain Lee's comments about her being the best chef he's ever had could still be true if she doesn't return. "Best chef I've ever had, too bad she didn't stay long and turned out to be a complete loon." I'd agree that her meals seemed to be commensurate with what I'd expect if I spent that much on a charter, unlike some the other chefs who clearly were not up to that standard.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

I'll chime in with all who think Rachel may have some mental health issues.  It seemed like all her reactions were too over-the-top for someone not experiencing some form of mental breakdown.   I get missing your boyfriend, but dang, all the wailing  ... is this her first boyfriend?  She did say that he was the first one on land, or something like that, so maybe she always worked with her partners?    But the wailing ... and then the over-the-top cussing was just insane.  And not even being willing to do one day's meals to help the crew out? 

And her cussing ... I can have a potty mouth but I was extremely uncomfortable listening to her saying all that to Captain Lee.

On WWHL last week, she said some stuff about Francesca being snarky.  After watching her behavior last night, she has no room to call anyone else out on their behavior. 

• Love 12

Shane accepted his firing, still called his stint a success.  He's going to the beach.

Elizabeth was crying to stay on the boat.

Rachel was crying and swearing to leave the boat.

It's almost half the season in TV broadcast time but in shooting time, it's barely 2 weeks in, 3 whole charters?

Show is based too much on firings and replacements.  One-trick pony and they've taken it to the extreme.  

Rachel said maybe she might put up with the BS if they were paying her $16k a month as a private chef.  Guess the TV charter season of what, 4-6 weeks doesn't generate anywhere near that?

She supposedly has been cooking on yachts for years but all of a sudden she's homesick for the bf?  Is it because there may be more tensions from the oncoming pandemic than they're showing?  The bf talked about Italy locking down.  Early on in the pandemic, some of the biggest stories were outbreaks on these big cruise ships, which were being refused to dock in many ports and in some cases, after docking, the passengers weren't allowed to disembark for a couple of weeks, as infections increased on board.

So you'd think the crew would have heard about it or maybe they were just FaceTiming their friends but not keeping up with the news.

Now do yacht owners who hire private chefs care that Rachel has a foul mouth?  Actually throwing out some f-bombs here and there is one thing but "eat my cooter" or "suck my dick" to your pretend boss?  Also leaving them in the lurch, immediately bailing, not willing to even give them one day?

• Love 13

Okay, now I'm wondering about Captain Lee's rather passive reaction to Rachel's outburst.  Maybe she does have a diagnosed issue, like bi-polar, and he knows that, and that's why he just let her say what she did.

Oh, forgot to mention that I saw a brief glance of the guest sheet and it appears these dudes are from my area.  I didn't catch their names, but it will be interesting to see who they are and if I know anyone who interacts/knows them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, laprin said:

Just spitballing, but all that drinking may be a bi-product of a bi-polar disorder. The way she kept referring to her boyfriend as a calming force when she feels out of control leads me to believe she has episodes. I know a couple of people with BPD and they display similar behavior.  As an aside, she’s also very vulgar. You could tell, even Eddie and Captain Lee were taken aback by her vulgarity. 

True.

It could also be alcoholism, which can also be considered a mental illness.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

If Rachel has a mental disorder I hope she has registered any "drugs" with Captain Lee or Captain Sandy and Maritime Law Malia might have to swoop in and take charge. 

17 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

Bingo.  I said the same thing.  You use bleach with laundry soap all the time.  

Yes and washing machines have bleach dispensers.  Was she soaking her tennis shoes in bleach and dish detergent? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, Earl Is Dead said:

That morning there were multiple shots of her drinking from a plastic cup.  I kept expecting them to imply or reveal that she was still drinking - although I assume if Bravo had actual footage/proof of that they would have used it.  Her behavior at the meeting sure implied it to me.

I totally was waiting for a subtitle under her drinking from that cup that she was drinking the "Hair of the Dog" and was probably drunk at the meeting.  She is a weird bird that is for sure.

And she did not go up and say goodbye to Sunshine because of her distain for him not doing his job and getting fired.  But gave no shits about walking out on the rest of the crew because..........well because she is a nutcase.  Nice double standard.

And why do these people take a job they know they will be away from their friends and family for what, 2 months only to have a meltdown a week or two in?  What the hell is wrong with these people?  You signed up for this.  Did you not take that into consideration when  you said yes?  I just don't get it.  Its not like they have a life sentence.  They get to go home once they are done.  Sheesh what a bunch of babies.  Grow a pair and suck it up.  You are in a beautiful location and on TV for your 15 minutes of fame and you decide you want to be remember as a crying baby?  I want this job.  And yes it is a hard job but the perks are worth it.

• Love 17

Why weren't the guests told that the items requested on their preference sheet was unacceptable before giving it to Captain Lee ?

Captain Lee said that he could tell them when they arrived that some things were not available. Wouldn't it make sense to do this before they even agreed to book the charter ? 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, oakville said:

Why weren't the guests told that the items requested on their preference sheet was unacceptable before giving it to Captain Lee ?

There wouldn't be any drama if the guests were told ahead of time that their preferences would not work. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

And in another fun side note. The Germans did not use mustard gas in WWII. That was WWI. Everyone - Americans, Germans, and especially the British had huge stockpiles of it in WWII, but everyone was afraid to use it after their experiences in the First World War.

I'm glad you mentioned that because, I do remember reading that mustard gas was from WWI, and it was BAD and lethal.

13 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Having said that, these upcoming guests' preference sheets are absolutely ridiculous, starting with demanding they have rainbow unicorn floats as an absolute requirement, and ending with the endless food requests.  I can see why Rachel would flip out.  If she were to even attempt all of their "preferences", she would be never have a moment's rest, and with no sous chef or even a fully competent stew crew to assist, it would be next to impossible to produce all of that with the high quality they obviously are demanding.  

One of the reasons I think Rachel might be an alcoholic is because many alcoholics suffer from perfectionism.  As in, "If I can't do it perfectly, I might as well leave."  

1 hour ago, aghst said:

Early on in the pandemic, some of the biggest stories were outbreaks on these big cruise ships, which were being refused to dock in many ports and in some cases, after docking, the passengers weren't allowed to disembark for a couple of weeks, as infections increased on board.

But they are on a yacht, not a cruise ship, and also they're in the Caribbean, where early on there weren't many infections.  The problem with cruise ships is they carry too many people and that's how infections spread.  

• Love 4

I was admittedly surprised at the adult manner in which Captain Lee gave Rachel another chance.  "We don't have to get them all this crap, you realize", but as that didn't work, a hearty "fuck off" if she returns would be warranted.  Then again, if he's got literally NO CHEF, he might not have a choice.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think that is something a demanding person might tell themselves to excuse their own behavior.  Rachel's behavior was very much all over the place, but part of me did appreciate seeing someone who was willing to say "no," and walk away when confronted with ridiculous sounding demands from the guests. 

ME TOO! I mean I just wish it wasn't done is such an overblown manner but I really did love the dose of reality in "reality tv". Come on! It tickled me pink to see her just matter of factly say "ummmm No". I get there's meant to be drama and it gets amped up. Bravo's escalated this recipe year after year with all of its shows but I do long for real moments like the one Rachel provided pretty much asserting her right as a HUMAN BEING to not play along with the stupid and obvious antics. I get rolling with the punches and sticking a lot of the crazy stuff out for tips, ratings, reality show nuggets but at the same time I want to see these casts protect themselves to certain degree. I hate seeing these casts subject themselves to extremely unacceptable shit in the name of "reality tv" and being a bravolebrity. Rachel shouldn't have to act okay with such an obvious ratings ploy that would truly subject her to shit that will be such an unnecessary mental and emotional strain. It's like bravo thinks it's okay to rattle people beyond the breaking point and it's okay cause ya know ratings... and that's not cool to me. I really wish I could see more people causally draw the line and just come right out and say "I don't think so" and keep it moving. It's not fun when they go too far sometimes. It becomes way too cringeworthy. 

Oh and Francesca was on WWHL and was asked how she would have reacted to the misogyny Kate was faced with the previous season and Francesca went ahead and gave the standard answer of "well it depends". She went on to categorize how to react to guests saying what amounted to well of course you need to suck it up and do your best to get through it for that tip...... Uggggghhhhhhh! Ummm NO! Not even for guests, customers, clients, blah blah blah. Being employed, hired or tasked to perform a service doesn't come with an "ANYTHING GOES" guarantee. I hate that we as a society in ALL industries have adopted this philosophy that beratement, belittlement and disrespect "come with the territory" in the workplace in order to secure that check, that deal, that bonus, THAT MONEY! It shouldn't and people should still expect to earn an income without these conditions looming in every dark corner of every profession out there. Geez Louise! 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 20

Didn't she (on the drunk bus after a night of drinking), go on a suck it up rampage when the 3rd stew was complaining? So yeah Rachel what happened to suck it up?

• Love 11

To me it was selfish.  She had no consideration for her fellow crewmates.  Captain Lee gave her a solution, tell the guests they won't be able to get everything on the sheet.  But I think Rachel is a perfectionist so she felt the pressure, feared she could not deliver and ran away.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I'm glad you mentioned that because, I do remember reading that mustard gas was from WWI, and it was BAD and lethal.

I had an uncle that was in WWI, he was gassed but survived, my mother said he was just not the same after that, this was many decades before I was born so not really sure what she meant...just the fact that the bleach was being used in a small unventilated area is enough to make someone sick why not use the bleach dispenser in the washer?  I had a inexpensive washer that had that option so their fancy machines must have one.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Rachel's behavior was very much all over the place, but part of me did appreciate seeing someone who was willing to say "no," and walk away when confronted with ridiculous sounding demands from the guests. 

Meh.  The company who hired her markets the charters like this.  I still think it's the act of a child.  And when given a reasonable translation of what would ACTUALLY happen by the Captain - who has just a tad few decades more experience than she does - she still takes her ball and goes home, potentially fucking up at least 10-15 people's (short-term) lives the process.  If not way more, due to the show.   I just can't sign on.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, gaPeach said:

I totally was waiting for a subtitle under her drinking from that cup that she was drinking the "Hair of the Dog" and was probably drunk at the meeting.  She is a weird bird that is for sure.

And she did not go up and say goodbye to Sunshine because of her distain for him not doing his job and getting fired.  But gave no shits about walking out on the rest of the crew because..........well because she is a nutcase.  Nice double standard.

And why do these people take a job they know they will be away from their friends and family for what, 2 months only to have a meltdown a week or two in?  What the hell is wrong with these people?  You signed up for this.  Did you not take that into consideration when  you said yes?  I just don't get it.  Its not like they have a life sentence.  They get to go home once they are done.  Sheesh what a bunch of babies.  Grow a pair and suck it up.  You are in a beautiful location and on TV for your 15 minutes of fame and you decide you want to be remember as a crying baby?  I want this job.  And yes it is a hard job but the perks are worth it.

Wasn't Rachel a seasoned yacht chef? In the past year she was on charters away from her Vincenzo so was it just the demands of an entitled asshole or does she have some other issues?  

Funny thought, her telling Capt. Lee to go f himself and ranting about how disgusting the preference sheet was would have been different had Capt. Sandy been sitting at that table, Sandy would have thought Rachel the best chef in the world because she threw a fit.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Angel pie said:

In the previews of the season, there is a scene where Rachael and Eddie are maniacally laughing and I don't think that has been shown yet. She'll be back.

Even on WWHN or L Kate said she would quit then return to the yacht, so yes, I agree with you.

• Love 4

I do think that Rachel's potty mouth may indicate a personality disorder. It seems like a person in a leadership position or critical job should present a more professional attitude and never say things in front of their shipmates like:

• “Life is like a sh*t sandwich. The more bread you have, the more sh*t you have to eat.”
  • “You can drive a straight pin up my ass with a 10-pound sledgehammer.”
  • ” I would rather drag my dick through 10 miles of whiskey bottles.”
  • "We’ve screwed the pooch so many times we should have a litter of fucking puppies running around here."
  • "Those two could fuck up a two car funeral."

Her meltdown in the galley could have been done with a little more fucking tact, know what the hell I mean?

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Didn't she (on the drunk bus after a night of drinking), go on a suck it up rampage when the 3rd stew was complaining? So yeah Rachel what happened to suck it up?

She also didn't say goodbye to Shane and made the comment "don't let the passerelle hit you in the ass on the way out". Which was also what I was thinking.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, dsteele said:

I do think that Rachel's potty mouth may indicate a personality disorder. It seems like a person in a leadership position or critical job should present a more professional attitude and never say things in front of their shipmates like:

• “Life is like a sh*t sandwich. The more bread you have, the more sh*t you have to eat.”
  • “You can drive a straight pin up my ass with a 10-pound sledgehammer.”
  • ” I would rather drag my dick through 10 miles of whiskey bottles.”
  • "We’ve screwed the pooch so many times we should have a litter of fucking puppies running around here."
  • "Those two could fuck up a two car funeral."

Her meltdown in the galley could have been done with a little more fucking tact, know what the hell I mean?

I see what you did there. 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1