Type keyword(s) to search

The Bee Gees

• Start Topic

My mom told me that they were so much more than a disco band. She remembered back in the 60s when they started and she said they wrote songs for people like Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, etc. Mom always thought it was a shame they were regulated as simply a disco band when they were really more than that. At least, according to Mom. I was intrigued by their music and their melodies. Such a shame that Barry is the only one left. When drugs and drinking is involved, I think it is understandable why their lives were cut short. Watching Barry alone made me sad and I can't imagine life without the brothers. Just can't!

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 6

I really enjoyed it, even though my first motivation to watch was that Chris Martin was going to be interviewed.

I hadn't known a lot of the things they discussed, like that Robin had wanted to be lead singer. I did feel that they basically felt they were running too long and then raced through some important stuff at the end, maybe the show could have been at least two and a half hours?

Why does Justin Timberlake end up making everything about himself? He mugged and looked into the camera and took the focus away from the Bee Gees!

• Love 4

This was amazing. And yes, they rushed through the post-SNF era to keep it at 2 hours. The upcoming Tigers Woods doc looks to be a two parter. The Bee Gees doc could have easily been the same. 

I grew up in southern Wisconsin, so I could pick up Chicago radio and well remember Disco Demolition. Steve Dahl was a dick about the whole thing and I'm happy that we got a long overdue, 40 year "fuck you" to his property damaging white trash rally. His cruelty and callousness put him on the map and that sloppy prick rode that controversy all the way to the bank.

One thing that the doc mentioned, and I think was correct, was that they released the Spirits Having Flown album way too soon. Robin was right. Even a year later, after Fever had calmed down, might have still been too soon. They released it while Fever was still in the Top Ten and it was all Bee Gees and Andy, all over the radio. Even a fan, like I was, was a bit overwhelmed. The backlash was inevitable, but sad in that they didn't seem to understand what had happened. 

And screw Rick Dees and Disco Duck, right along with Dahl. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6

I thought it was smart to include Noel Gallagher and a Jonas brother, not only for the always-necessary modern musician viewpoint in a documentary of musicians from an older era to try to appeal to The Kids, but also to speak from the experience of being a brother band. I was not aware of the competitive friction between Robin and Barry.  I had always assumed it was Robin as the lead singer, the others as accessories. I had no idea how much input and control Barry had, and how much they all contributed to songwriting. Nick Jonas said that in brother bands there are long-simmering resentments going back to who got more attention from Mom and Dad as well as the usual band stuff.  I think it was Maurice’s widow who said that if they weren’t brothers, the band wouldn’t have lasted but a few years.  It was crazy to hear that after Maurice the mediator died Robin and Barry drifted apart and didn’t speak for 12 years or so.  What a waste of time.

• Love 3

I wondered what Andy Gibb would have looked like in 2020! It is amazing how one's health problems shortens their lifespan. Sometimes I wondered with a history of drinking and drugs as to why their life is cut short. Barry is the only one that made it. 

• Love 2

I think that Robin resented the fact that Barry was on lead more than him. And let's face it, how could Barry NOT be the focal point. Look at him. Barry had the commanding, main stream voice, while Robin's voice was more quirky. They shared lead on their early stuff, but the later hits were more Barry on lead. Robin seemed to resent that.

What they don't mention is that their mum buried three sons. She out lived Andy, Maurice and Robin. She just passed a couple of years ago. 

When I was in middle school, I had that poster that they showed of Andy on my wall, where he's laying on a furry rug, tight jeans, satin baseball jacket, chest hair blazing. My mother thought Barry was a hottie. After watching this, I so wanted to be able to call her and say, "MOMMMMM! Turn on HBO! It's Barry Gibb's HAIR on TV!"

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I think that Robin resented the fact that Barry was on lead more than him. And let's face it, how could Barry NOT be the focal point. Look at him. Barry had the commanding, main stream voice, while Robin's voice was more quirky. They shared lead on their early stuff, but the later hits were more Barry on lead. Robin seemed to resent that.

Barry was tallest, more attractive brother so the camera was going to focus on him more. While Robin was quirky including his looks. Both were extremely talented but Barry just had that extra it factor.

• Love 6

Despite the success of his first two albums, Andy never seemed to think he was good enough. That his entire career was a ride on his brothers coattails. And well, it was. He was cute, sweet, and talented, but living in the shadow of Barry, Robin and Maurice was too much. There was a constant sadness about him and he torpedoed his life with the nose candy to cope. 

• Love 2
On 12/16/2020 at 4:44 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

What they don't mention is that their mum buried three sons. She out lived Andy, Maurice and Robin. She just passed a couple of years ago. 

There's also an older sister/daughter who is still alive and wasn't mentioned.

I thought there was a lot of skimming of the surface and as mentioned they really rushed things at the end. It definitely could have been two parts like the Eagles documentary. I did enjoy it a lot, though, and loved seeing all the old clips. I appreciated how much the non Gibb band members were featured. 

• Love 7

Really good doc, but I agree it shorted their songwriting for other artists. I hadn’t realized they had a really successful period in the 60s, but I grew up in the 70s and was fully aware of and enjoyed their Disco period. That gay commentator talking about the Disco backlash was totally right in hindsight about it mostly being a backlash against gay and black artists; the brothers just got caught up in it.

What’s really interesting was how constantly cyclical their careers were. They had 2 or 3 very hot periods for themselves and some great periods where they wrote for others. They also cycled through being together and apart quite frequently

• Love 4
On 12/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, DanaK said:

Really good doc, but I agree it shorted their songwriting for other artists. I hadn’t realized they had a really successful period in the 60s, but I grew up in the 70s and was fully aware of and enjoyed their Disco period. That gay commentator talking about the Disco backlash was totally right in hindsight about it mostly being a backlash against gay and black artists; the brothers just got caught up in it.

What’s really interesting was how constantly cyclical their careers were. They had 2 or 3 very hot periods for themselves and some great periods where they wrote for others. They also cycled through being together and apart quite frequently

My mother remembered it pretty well. 

Just finished watching this and it was nice to know a little bit more about them as told by them.  it is interesting to hear about their creative process and the family dynamic.  Interesting the way Robin and Barry knocked heads so often, new info for me.

I admit I have always had a crush on 70s era Barry Gibb and his leonine mane of hair.  It is so sad when it started and he says heis the only one left  Gah!  I hadn't even thought of that.

While I know and totally hum all the Saturday Night Fever songs I do admit that my favorite Bee Gees song has to be Islands In The Stream.

When that one guy was talking about the suits ruining everything and slapping the 'Disco' label on everything for marketing purposes I was so happy he was saying that.  Dance music that became labeled as disco started at black and gay clubs, very much underground and got "discovered": and went mainstream and got incredibly diluted and commercial.  After that "disco demolition" stunt, it simply went back underground and emerged again as House music.  

Also the usher guy from Comiskey park confirming that the whole anti-disco movement was really just a cover for racism and homophobia.  It is one thing to dislike a popular form of music or even feel that it is over-saturated, but that was just rabid.

• Love 7
On 12/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, khyber said:

I worked in a record store when Saturday Night Fever was released. We must have sold at least 30 copies a day for months. It's funny to return to the era of chest hair and gold medallions!

And with that, Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake just rushed into my head. LOL.

I read that at first, Barry wasn't happy with the SNL Barry Gibb Talk Show. It showed Barry as the combative one, and in reality, it was really Robin who was a bit like that. It wasn't until SNL invited him to make an appearance, and his daughter told him, "Get over it, Dad. Parody is the sincerest form of flattery," that he said okay. And he ended up being so surprised that everyone was so excited to meet him, plus he got to see Paul McCartney and hug him on stage during the closing credits.  IMO, the whole Disco Demolition and the ensuing backlash seemed to make him a bit defensive and gun shy. He didn't "get" that Fallon and Timberlake were huge fans. 

• Love 1
On 12/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Despite the success of his first two albums, Andy never seemed to think he was good enough. That his entire career was a ride on his brothers coattails. And well, it was. He was cute, sweet, and talented, but living in the shadow of Barry, Robin and Maurice was too much. There was a constant sadness about him and he torpedoed his life with the nose candy to cope. 

Sure, his brothers' fame allowed him to get his foot in the door, but his talent was his own and its a shame he didn't believe it.

I had no idea the BGs were that famous before SNF.  I had heard of the Beatles and other English groups from the 60s, but I had never heard of the BGs until disco.  It definitely made go in search of their earlier tunes.  It truly is a shame that marketing took it over so much that it created this huge backlash.  I was very much into rock music growing up in the 70s, so I was pretty 'disco sucks' back then, but I had no idea how destructive that was.  as i got older, I appreciated dance music much more.  

I also have to agree that in the age of magazines and video, Barry was always going to be front and center as the most attractive BG, that's just the way marketing works.  IMO, that's also part of what made Andy popular, he looked a lot like Barry.  

• Love 2