Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Sleeping Next to an Old Boat

• Start Topic

I think this was the first episode of the show where they really utilized absurd humor (with  Dele, Olu and Tunde), and I liked it. Someone mentioned it in last week's discussion thread that if anyone needs a massage, that is Abishola. Well she got a little bit this episode, and it was nice to see 🙂 . I was hoping it would lead to her being a little more relaxed. It was nice that she was willing to apologize.

The highlight of the episode was definitely Kemi's rant against the bus people. Just hilarious 😄 .

• Love 6

Has the show revealed Abishola’s age to be pre-menopause? This episode showed a wide gulf between Bob and Abishola’s child-rearing philosophies.
I guess this episode was supposed to demonstrate how the writers would mine that minefield. 

I too enjoyed the Roomba humor. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I think it’s time for this series to show us what the attraction is between Bob and Abishola.  All we’ve seen is that Bob has to walk on eggshells around her.  Abishola misinterprets everything he says or does, then finally realizes he’s not such a jerk after all. 

Edited by DoYouLikeMutton
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

I think it’s time for this series to show us what the attraction is between Bob and Abishola.  All we’ve seen is that Bob has to walk on eggshells around her.  Abishola misinterprets everything he says or does, then finally realizes he’s not such a jerk after all.

The writers are doing a much better job of making this seem like a real relationship, IMO. There's now some decent chemistry between them, and they seem genuinely fond of each other. As some other posters have said, it's a mature relationship - there no pyrotechnics, just two people who care about each other and enjoy each other's company. What I'm worried about is the show shoe-horning Bob into the classic "dumb, clue-less husband/father" trope. That's been old for a very long time. Overall though, I'm liking this show a lot more this season.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

My favourite part was the roomba humour, as well. Also, I wish I was Bob's friend so I could take home all of his expensive, unused gadgets, heh. 

Or maybe just Tunde’s neighbor in order to adopt the Roomba?

3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

…What I'm worried about is the show shoe-horning Bob into the classic "dumb, clue-less husband/father" trope. That's been old for a very long time.…

Even though Lorre’s name is on this show, and even though a lead writer is a strong woman, I don’t sense that Bob will devolve into buffoonery. There are other characters for that, like his brother and Kofu. So far we see Bob recovering from missteps. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Or maybe just Tunde’s neighbor in order to adopt the Roomba?

Even though Lorre’s name is on this show, and even though a lead writer is a strong woman, I don’t sense that Bob will devolve into buffoonery. There are other characters for that, like his brother and Kofu. So far we see Bob recovering from missteps. 

I also see his brother and sister occupying the buffoonery quotient. It would be misguided and difficult to have Bob devolve with those two characters still present.

• Love 3

I finally got a chance to watch this episode last night. We see yet another example of this couple not being for each other at all. I didn't like Abishola's behavior at all. It also shows us that they don't know each other. This couple, at their ages, should know that rushing in to an engagement/marriage is not advisable. They should have taken the time to get to know each other first. We saw none of that. Perhaps the writers will surprise us and this couple will not eventually marry. Perhaps they will realize that they are so very different and wouldn't work out. So far, I see Bob making all of the concessions. That poor guy is still doing cartwheels for this lady..why, I don't know. She acts like she's making a sacrifice spending time with him. She also IS NOT A GOOD MOTHER. The undo amount of pressure an criticism she bestows on her son is awful, IMO. He is a good kid and she never give him a break. I understand her culture is a 'work hard one' but this is ridiculous. I would like to see Bob have the upper hand and really tell this bitch off. He deserves a woman who actually wants to be with him. This, of course, is just my opinion at this point.

• Love 4

I think that they have actually does a much better job this season of showing why Bob and Abishola work as a couple and I have mostly liked Abishola a lot more than last season, but she was really grating this week. I would like to see her lighten up just a bit on Dele, who is by all regards a great kid, and she was really needlessly mean to Bob, who was just trying to reach out to Dele. They can certainly have a talk about their differing parenting styles, but making it really personal and insulting Bob's work ethic was a really crappy thing to do. She did at least apologize, so that was at least nice to see. They really do need to talk about their future though, especially co-parenting Dele. It sounds like Abishola doesn't expect Bob to have much of a relationship with him while Bob wants to get closer with him. 

The Roomba plot was hilarious, I think this is our first time this season with Tunde and Olu getting one of the main plots and it was super fun. "I ate some crackers in the living room." 

• Love 3

While I am a bit horrified by Abishola's treatment of Dele, kudos to the writers for presenting Bob, OTOH, as the parental figure for his 2 loser younger siblings. Touché. 
IRL I doubt Dele would be such a "great kid" with that much Tiger Mom going on at home, but comedies are not in the business of character development, so they kind of had to make Dele trouble free. 
But I think the writers have also painted themselves into a bit of corner by having Dele be a well-adjusted kid living with adults who condone abuse. 
The only way out of this that I can see is to have it turn out that when Bob or other non-family members are not present, it turns out the Abishola is not so strict —— have it turn out that both Dele and Abishola are just pretending she is that strict, and then eventually show a private scene where she is telling him to not study so hard. 
This would actually fit with Abishola's enjoyment of the neck massager that she felt she had to openly return to Bob and not even just thrown it away.