Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Lost Cause

ETA

Pootlus, did you miss the episode last season where a man had his entire package ripped away in one bloody motion? That sort of violence from Eric doesn't surprise me a bit.

Obviously I've repressed that!  I remember it happening to a guy on Spartacus though. Yeowch.

Let us not forget in S3 when Eric ripped someone's heart out and then sipped it a bit. All the very old vampires are hard core violent. Violet is like this too. Godric was also a very effective killer back in the day. Eric was already a warrior and he had an ancient Maker, not a surprise there that he'd know how to kill in many ways.

• Love 2
(edited)

"You stabbed someone, Auntie! That's why people think you're crazy!" was the fav line at my home.  Because...for real though.

Does no one in the town have a good learning curve?!  Why are we at a party at Sookie's house?  That NEVER goes well.  Also, the party felt not right to me.   I'm with Nicole:  The hell is wrong with you people?!

Laf/Jess/the dude - There was no real moral high ground here.  Laf and what's his face shouldn't cheat on Jess, while Jess clearly should have let that boy go a while ago.  To add to their problems, Violet is not going to go quietly into the night while Jess and Jason have a fine time together.  That's gonna be a hell of a mess.  Whether it works for me or not, I can't deny Jason and Jessica's chemistry when they are talking; the love scene was "eh", but them talking to each other in their simple, almost childish ways made them make sense with each other.  Whether it was the right speech to the right person (like some of you, I don't think it was directed at the right person), Laf, and by extension Nelsan Ellis, is wonderful.  I'm so sorry they haven't given him anything useful to do since Jesus was around....what of waste of his talent.  

Eric/Pam - THIS is what I missed last season and part of the previous season.  Kristin BV and Alexander S have such gorgeous chemistry that it is truly a mistake to not exploit it.  I'm loving them having some time outside of the Bon Temps mess.  This whole "dress up Eric" thing is fab!  90210Eric still wins, but JREwingEric is pretty amazing.  

Bill - I may be a little slow, but I'm not understanding the point of his flashbacks.  Last week made sense in terms of character and backstory, while this felt like a rehash.  I didn't really learn anything overly new about Bill.  It was just a bunch of wasted time for me.  So Bill has Hep-V, eh?  Interesting.  

Sarah Newland is a cockroach.  Woman never dies.  She's lucky as hell, but I don't doubt she'll get hers.  In her limited screentime, her sister, Amber, made a notable impression on me.  

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 1

He spent almost four episodes of this season sitting in his front room getting high. Well, ok, maybe three. But still. Three. Episodes. Three episodes devoted solely to get us to him fucking Jessica's boyfriend outside a party that she was at. Ignoring for a minute that I do not believe for a moment the character would do that, to top it off with a self-righteous "I deserve happiness too and your boyfriend cheating on you was your own fault btw" speech to the one person in the world who'll actually take that self-serving shit on board? It was terrible. Women are to blame for men cheating, didn't you know?

I don't think anyone was suggesting that it's a woman's fault when a man cheats.

It took some chutzpah for Lafayette to act like he had the moral high ground there - he should have been more apologetic about the cheating. But at the same time, he had a point. Jessica was basically stringing James along, and Lafayette saying "You don't even care that much about him, so you should just cut him loose" isn't the same as saying "It's your fault that he cheated."

As for it being out of character for Lafayette to screw his friend's boyfriend, I actually thought it was pretty believable. Lafayette has a lot of great qualities, but he's also showed many times that he's a wheeler-and-dealer who gets what he wants.

Was I the only one who was more surprised that Lafayette and James hadn't been screwing each other all season? I mean, pretty much every scene consists of them lying next to each other, getting buzzed, and exchanging bodily fluid. And the thing about James and whatsisname (the killed in 'Nam friend,) being sexually involved was already spelled out clearly enough the first time we heard about it. Laf needing to double-check was just weird sloppy writing.

Lafayette said it was her fault that he cheated.

No, he didn't. I just rewatched the scene, and while he glossed over the extent of his own wrongdoing, he never said it was Jessica's fault.

Pointing out that she never cared much about James in the first place isn't the same as telling her that it's her fault that he cheated.

• Love 3
(edited)

No, he didn't. I just rewatched the scene, and while he glossed over the extent of his own wrongdoing, he never said it was Jessica's fault.

Pointing out that she never cared much about James in the first place isn't the same as telling her that it's her fault that he cheated.

While I agree that he didn't precisely say it was her fault, he did more than gloss over his role and essentially exculpated his own wrongdoing by suggesting that she 1) didn't deserve him or want him and 2) had no right to really be upset.  And I love Lafayette, but no.  You do not get to try to shame Jessica when you're barely done zipping your pants after fucking her boyfriend.  

Jessica has been terrible to James (though not much more so than to herself) and he had every right to want to end it.  But he needed to do that before screwing someone else.  And if he couldn't manage that, he needed to take it someplace other than their car parked in front of the party Jessica was attending, preferably somewhere out of Vamp hearing range.  So he was a mighty big douche too.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2
I'm with Nicole:  The hell is wrong with you people?!

I did have a chuckle at how quick Sam hustled her out of there with that "OMG, crazy pregnant wife hormone upswing" look on his face. 

Jessica has been terrible to James (though not much more so than to herself) and he had every right to want to end it.  But he needed to do that before screwing someone else.  And if he couldn't manage that, he needed to take someplace other than their care parked in front of the party Jessica was attending, preferably somewhere out of Vamp hearing range.  So he was a mighty big douche too.

I think that the relationship was doomed to fail from the very start seeing as it only came to be because of the vamp camp and what they thought was impending death, but yeah, James should have at they very least left the goddamn party before hooking up with Lafayette. 

(edited)

I just don't feel that bad for Jessica regarding James fucking Lafayette. I don't agree with Lafayette acting like he has some sort of moral high ground since he most obviously does not, but I just can't find it in me to sympathize too much when Jessica turns around and does the same thing to another vampire some ten minutes later without so much as a blink or trace of guilt. I don't care for Jessica/James or Jason/Violet as couples but since the characters are/were in relationships I feel like it would be hypocritical to be bent out of shape over one and not the other.

I actually really like Jason and Jessica as a couple and think they make a crazy sort of sense. That being said--

More than anything I simply saw it as unrealistic that Jason at least wouldn't have verbalized whatever fear he has of Violet and what she'd likely do to them if she were to find out. All I'm thinking about as I'm watching is "Hey, guys? Remember Violet, that psychotic vampire who calls herself Jason's girlfriend? This is the same woman who not two days ago ripped out the heart of a woman you both knew pretty well. Did I mention she happens to be right downstairs and that she's already suspicious of the two of you? Oh okay, so you're going to fuck each other anyway? Yeah, good luck with that. We know how understanding Violet can be and those sweet vampire human romances always have a way of working themselves out. Just ask Sylvie, Hoyt, Steve Newlin...Sookie."

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3

I actually really like Jason and Jessica as a couple and think they make a crazy sort of sense. That being said--

I'm not sure how a girl who dated Hoyt could come to the conclusion that Jason is the sweetest man alive.  More than poor Hoyt?

Jessica has been terrible to James (though not much more so than to herself) and he had every right to want to end it.  But he needed to do that before screwing someone else.  And if he couldn't manage that, he needed to take someplace other than their care parked in front of the party Jessica was attending, preferably somewhere out of Vamp hearing range.  So he was a mighty big douche too.

Seriously.  James?  Break up with Jessica and then you're free to pursue what you want with who you want.  Jason?  Same deal. 

• Love 1

For what it's worth, Jason isn't free to break up with Violet, and everyone knows it. Sookie and Sam don't care and the other vampires believe in property rights in people. The only question is what Jessica thinks she's doing?

I thought the previous James who was a kind of vampire pacifist was kind of interesting and this James who's just a good time boy isn't. I don't know how much that has to do with the actor change, or why Grimes was fired. But the new James character is very different in ways besides being gay or bi. 

• Love 4

The problem I had with the party was that it was forced on Sookie, not that there was a party at all.  A friend of mine is Cajun and when her parents died they did some huge partying at those wakes and people would get up and tell funny/touching stories.

I did have trouble with the whole Jess/Lala/James/Jason thing, though.  Jess is supposed to be Lala's friend and it seems out of character for him to do something like that.  Also, everyone seems to have forgotten that Violet runs around telling everyone how Jason is Hers and we all know how possessive those vamps are.  No good will come from this and Jess/Jason should be the first to realize that.  I thought the reason vamps claimed humans was so that other vamps couldn't touch them without fear of reprisals.

I'm afraid they're setting up Bill, or maybe even Eric, to be some huge end game sacrifice in regards to a Hep V cure.

"For what it's worth, Jason isn't free to break up with Violet, and everyone knows it. Sookie and Sam don't care and the other vampires believe in property rights in people. The only question is what Jessica thinks she's doing?"

sjohnson, I see we think alike.

• Love 1
(edited)

Re Andy, given that Jessica killed his other daughters, I think that ''forgiveness" is too strong a word for what Andy should want where his relationship with Jess is concerned. I think that "tolerance" would have been much more acceptable. Andy's proposal to Holly was sweet, Violet's potshots at Adele's ring aside. Leave it to Violet to take great moments and shit all over them, whether it was her dissing Adele's ring, claiming ownership of Jason for the umpteenth time or her blatant defiance of Lafayette's rule of not telling Sookie  that she was "sorry for [her] loss" and telling Sookie about having 100 boyfriends die on her-99 of whom she probably either killed herself or they killed themselves just to get away from her, I'm guessing.

Re Lafayette/Jess/James, I saw it coming in every sense of the word and I love it. The kiss was hot and the car sex was hotter. I felt bad for Jess for catching them together, but it was inevitable for several reasons, as Lafayette pointed out. Jess doesn't know much, if anything about James-where he lived, how he died, how he got turned nor who turned him. Chances are Jess didn't know that Danny, James' best friend, was also his first love.  James could have told Jess this himself, but given her downward spiral at the time, he probably didn't want to make things worse. Jess could have gotten to know James better, but most of the time she was too busy wallowing in self-pity to care. Contrary to Jess' opinion, her and James' relationship wasn't the same as Jason and Violet's because at least hers and James was mutual; Violet, otoh, told Jason that he was hers whether he liked it or not and there was nothing he could do about it. Jess lost the moral high ground re James infidelity IMO when she not only fucked another woman's man a few minutes later, she fucked Jason, who's currently with Violet, who's not known for rationality nor restraint.  In other words, "bitch crazy." Both Jessica and Jason know what a whack job Violet is and since Violet's another vamp, Jess can't glamour her into forgetting it ever happened. I believe that Violet will retaliate; it's just a matter of time. As for Jess/Jason's future, unless Jess turns Jason, I don't see them having one and since Jim Parrack''s back, Hoyt's another reason why they don't stand a chance. While the timing sucked and Lala was a little self-righteous, I agreed that if Jess doesn't love James, she should let him go.  About whether or not Lala and James are soul mates, while Jesus was a good man and Lafayette loved him, I don't believe that he was or would be the only love of Lala's life.

Even liberal lefty me was thinking "Geez! Dial it back y'all!

yeah, it was a bit OTT/on the nose but after watching them spend the better part of two seasons making a mockery of organized religion, one show throwing some shade at a few GOP luminaries didn't faze me much.

It didn't bother me a bit. Compared to the anti-supe hate group who wore Obama masks and the implications that the Obama administration wouldn't help small towns attacked by H-vamps, a couple of potshots at the Republicans/Tea Party don't mean shit to me.

Maxine's not being mentioned at the party is another thing that doesn't matter to me-and judging by the townfolk's ignoring her, I'm not the only one.

Edited by DollEyes

For what it's worth, Jason isn't free to break up with Violet, and everyone knows it. Sookie and Sam don't care and the other vampires believe in property rights in people. The only question is what Jessica thinks she's doing?

I wouldn't say that Sam or Sookie don't care. I don't think Jason has verbalized to anybody until tonight that he's not sure about his relationship with Violet. In his dream with Eric, he admits that he's "crazy" about Violet. So he's been in denial himself that Violet is no good for him. It hit home with him this night because of Gran's ring and his thought that he really didn't want Violet to have it.  

I think Sookie is concerned that Jason is healthy and safe- which he appears to be, but after that, she knows she's the last person who could judge someone for being in a relationship with a vampire. He compared what he felt for Violet with how Sookie felt when she was with Bill, which despite how it ended, she loved him.  But if he comes to her and admits that he thinks things are messed up and he shouldn't be with Violet, I have a feeling she'd do anything she could to help him. Which could include going to Bill or another vampire/s for help, since I think they'd all know that Violet isn't going anywhere without a fight.

I guess I don't get why he can't break up with her., but I haven't been paying much attention, admittedly.  I get that she'll be mad, but she seems to be self-confident and secure enough (as a 1,000 year old vampire would be) to want something better than a man who doesn't really want to be with her. 

Regardless, isn't Bill still King of Louisiana?  Can't he just tell Violet to back off as a favor to Jason/Sookie?

Now that the Authority is pretty much gone, do they even have Kings and Queens and Sheriffs anymore

I thought the Authority was separate from the monarchy system, or am I making that up?

I thought the Authority was separate from the monarchy system, or am I making that up?

From what we've been shown, the authority does put the monarchs/sheriffs in place... Nan crowned Bill King, and they sent that sheriff to replace Eric in S5. So I think they do ultimately answer to the Authority... but some, like Russel didn't so much care for the authority, and don't like that they think they are in charge- hence his killing of the Magister.

So for now- we haven't really been given any indication of what remains of the Vampire political structure since they were mostly all killed. Though I could buy that there were seperate leadership like in say Europe or other places... though I guess Nan was in France berating Eric... so maybe they were it.

As for Violet, Jason is hers and I don't think she really cares that much what he wants. So if he just said hey, this isn't working... I don't think she would have said, "okay, bye!" But now that the's cheated on her, she's really going to be out for vengeance... especially with her oldschool ideals.

• Love 1

From what we've been shown, the authority does put the monarchs/sheriffs in place... Nan crowned Bill King, and they sent that sheriff to replace Eric in S5. So I think they do ultimately answer to the Authority... but some, like Russel didn't so much care for the authority, and don't like that they think they are in charge- hence his killing of the Magister.

But wasn't it originally that the monarchy was older/over the Authority (which was only a few hundred years old)?  But then with the whole Authority-centered Billith season, that sort of got turned on its head, and the Authority has been around for hundreds of thousands of years? 

(edited)

But wasn't it originally that the monarchy was older/over the Authority (which was only a few hundred years old)?  But then with the whole Authority-centered Billith season, that sort of got turned on its head, and the Authority has been around for hundreds of thousands of years? 

Russel did talk about the Authority really being in charge for i think only a few hundred years... that they only have power because "we gave it to them" So it's likely that people who were in charge already decided to form the authority? I could see there being monarchs in place before the Authority really came to be- probably based on who was older and more powerful and wanted the power.   There had to be some sort of power structure in the past, though I suppose when travel was more difficult, the groups of vampires would be more isolated from each other.  I'm sure the Lilith blood/shrine has existed for a long time, so I guess those vampires- being old and powerful formed the authority at one point to be an overarching power.

But all that said, it still doesn't tell us much about what remains at this point. Are they still following a Monarch? Would they want to/ need to? Has something else taken the place of the monarchy? Or is it like the humans in small towns- every vampire for themself?  I'm not sure if that's going to be addressed, since this season does seem more focused on just the vampires we already know.

Edited by Jjrmt

Russel did talk about the Authority really being in charge for i think only a few hundred years... that they only have power because "we gave it to them" So it's likely that people who were in charge already decided to form the authority? I could see there being monarchs in place before the Authority really came to be- probably based on who was older and more powerful and wanted the power.   There had to be some sort of power structure in the past, though I suppose when travel was more difficult, the groups of vampires would be more isolated from each other.  I'm sure the Lilith blood/shrine has existed for a long time, so I guess those vampires- being old and powerful formed the authority at one point to be an overarching power.

But all that said, it still doesn't tell us much about what remains at this point. Are they still following a Monarch? Would they want to/ need to? Has something else taken the place of the monarchy? Or is it like the humans in small towns- every vampire for themself?  I'm not sure if that's going to be addressed, since this season does seem more focused on just the vampires we already know.

I'm afraid you're right.  And, to me, the vampire hierarchy/politics stuff has always been of interest to me (and set it apart from most vampire shows, in which the emphasis is on Vampire Boy Meets Human Girl; Sparks fly).  Unfortunately, it looks like True Blood is going to ultimate be an ode to the Great True Love of Bill and Sookie, with supporting turns by rather blah subplots like Aunt Lettie Mae's Drunk Again, Lafayette Makes Bad Choices in Love, Arlene Gets Her Groove Back, Jane Bodehouse Comic Relief Minute, Bon Temps Gigilo Jason, and Pam and Eric Get the Band Back Together. 

• Love 1

I thought the previous James who was a kind of vampire pacifist was kind of interesting and this James who's just a good time boy isn't. I don't know how much that has to do with the actor change, or why Grimes was fired. But the new James character is very different in ways besides being gay or bi. 

There's never been any indication that Luke Grimes was fired.

The rumors were that he quit when he found out that James was going to be involved with a guy, and Nelsan Ellis pretty much confirmed that it in this interview: http://www.thebacklot.com/nelsan-ellis-spills-the-beans-on-luke-grimes/07/2014/

Jason can't simply break up with Violet. I think that's the thing people keep missing; she claimed him, he's hers. She's 800 years old, vampires get stronger as they get older. And she didn't give a flying fuck about Jason's feelings in the prison. The only people who could do anything would be Bill if he were still king or Eric if he were still Sheriff, AND Violet cared at all about the monarchy system. Eric could do something now by virtue of being even older than Violet. Of course he'd have to claim Jason as his own and...

Excuse me, I think I forgot something in that past episode there that was... important. Yeah... important.

• Love 1

Eric could do something now by virtue of being even older than Violet. Of course he'd have to claim Jason as his own and....

Vampires don't take kindly to having their humans poached from them. Eric and Jessica are still in the wrong for "taking" Jason. Secondly, Eric is really weak now due to Hep V. Violet seems to be the strongest and oldest vampire on the show at the moment. I'm back to disliking her as this would make her too powerful. 

• Love 1

LA LA LA! I can't hear you! Too distracted by thoughts of Eric and Jason.

My point was though, that at full strength Eric would be one of the few vampires who could do something about it because of his age, regardless of poaching.

• Love 1
(edited)

The rumors were that he quit when he found out that James was going to be involved with a guy

It's certainly what Nelsan Ellis believed happened. Still, I think the character we've seen this season is NOT the character the original actor was cast to play. Not because he's bi and in a love triangle with a guy but because he's a totally different character. Now, if you're an actor and you have a part in a high-rating show and they do stuff that's out of character, it's my opinion that you have a job and you do your job and you suck it up. The entertainment world is full of actors - good, bad and mediocre - who loathed what writers did to their characters but did their jobs anyway (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy, Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang and no doubt many more). Having said that, if I was an actor and I took a specific role that I loved and the writers said "now, next season we're going to throw all that out the window", I might be annoyed too. But if it was solely because he had to do a gay sex scene then he's an ass (ass, not arse, there is no pun intended).

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 1

It's certainly what Nelsan Ellis believed happened. Still, I think the character we've seen this season is NOT the character the original actor was cast to play. Not because he's bi and in a love triangle with a guy but because he's a totally different character. Now, if you're an actor and you have a part in a high-rating show and they do stuff that's out of character, it's my opinion that you have a job and you do your job and you suck it up. The entertainment world is full of actors - good, bad and mediocre - who loathed what writers did to their characters but did their jobs anyway (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy, Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang and no doubt many more). Having said that, if I was an actor and I took a specific role that I loved and the writers said "now, next season we're going to throw all that out the window", I might be annoyed too. but if it was solely because he had to do a gay sex scene then he's an ass.

But what did we really know about James last season? I don't see the new james as much different character wise. He was in like 3 scenes last season where he wasn't just in the background- refusing to rape Jessica, then the sex scene with Jessica where we didn't learn much more about him aside from he doesn't think vampires have to be violent (which still holds true this season as far as we know- he's not suddenly become a crazed asshole vampire... he's just a bad boyfriend) and then he came up with the idea to help Jess save Billl after they drank him at Vamp camp... it wasn't really much character development IMO, and not enough for me to say that this new actor is playing James so much differently from before.

• Love 2
(edited)
I'm afraid they're setting up Bill, or maybe even Eric, to be some huge end game sacrifice in regards to a Hep V cure.

I'm wondering if they're gonna find out that some other disease cures Hep V.  If they do this, they're totally ripping off Forever Knight, which had a similar storyline in that a retrovirus engineered to fight AIDS got out and gave vampires AIDS, killing several recurring characters.  The cure was feeding off someone who had actual AIDS, which one character figured out by accident.

And before you all start judging me, yes I used to watch Forever Knight.  I was younger then and didn't know better. 

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if they're gonna find out that some other disease cures Hep V. If they do this, they're totally ripping off Forever Knight, which had a similar storyline in that a retrovirus engineered to fight AIDS got out and actually gave vampires AIDS, killing several recurring characters. The cure was feeding off someone who had actual AIDS, which on character figured out by accident.

And before you all start judging me, yes I used to watch Forever Knight. I was younger then and didn't know better.

Forever Knight was ridiculous and AMAZING! Though I never finished the series... But com to think of it, I may own the DVDs... I guess that's something for the list after TB is done ;)

Though I never finished the series

Don't. The last season was really bad and the final episode sucked. Considering the previous quality, that's saying something.

Oh wait. I forgot. I didn't watch Forever Knight. That would be embarrassing.

I didn't watch Forever Knight. That would be embarrassing.

It was not embarrassing. It was awesome! Forever Knight was on after midnight, which meant it was something I probably shouldn't have been watching, along with Silk Stalkings and whatever else the Crimetime After Primetime lineup held to mar my innocent viewing eyes. It was epic...until they killed Schanke and the last-season-that-should-be-expunged-from-human-memory occurred.

• Love 1

The thing that really bothers me about Nicole's outburst is that for me grief is like sexuality; only the person experiencing it can say if it's right or not.

Sure, she obviously doesn't agree with having a party, that much is obvious. It was absolutely disrespectful of her to tell people off because that's how they chose to manage their grief. Yes this is the same woman who tried to get shifters to come out as well and she's practically all but a child herself, but that's no excuse. Rude is rude, there really isn't any good excuse for it.

• Love 2

It was absolutely disrespectful of her to tell people off because that's how they chose to manage their grief.

But the whole purpose of this party was to tell Sookie how to handle her grief. 

(edited)

I wouldn't say it was the purpose at all, and it wasn't just about Sookie even though it was at her house. Sookie wasn't the only person to lose someone and Alceide wasn't the only person to die. And since Alceide's father and his girlfriend were also in on setting the whole party up it's likely it was either a werewolf thing, or his father knew Alceide well enough to know how his son would have wanted to be remembered. I just don't see a werewolf being pushed around by Lafayette if it was something he was against.

Were they all asholes for throwing a party in her house without consulting Sookie? Absolutely. And they probably would have been even bigger assholes if they had just left her alone sleeping in the house and didn't tell her they were having a party to celebrate life and say goodbye to the people they had lost too. By having it at her house they at least gave her a choice about whether she wanted to be there. And no one went upstairs and woke her up, she discovered it on her own. Plus people coming over and giving their condolences and bringing food happened when her Gran died. The only difference here is Lafayette told people to bring booze and they were told not to say they were sorry for her loss. Oh, and it was at night too, Because Sookie needed to sleep the whole day and that's what they let her do. That's really not telling Sookie how to manage her grief at all.

But Nicole's "What kind of people are you?" with the implied you guys are assholes for doing it this way. Trumps that by miles.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Love 2

I had a somewhat different take on Nicole's outburst.

I definitely agree with the idea that there is no "right" way to go about grieving. It's personal to anyone who is going through it and people find their own ways on how to make it through.

With Nicole though I think it's important to remember what triggered the outburst in the first place. Lettie Mae had just stabbed Willa and a bunch of vampires had a moment where the fangs came out and it seemed like some extra shit might end up happening. So then Nicole thinks back to the last time the town got together to have a party (a week, two weeks ago at most?) and she can't help but think okay, have we really learned nothing from these experiences? Last time they did something like that party a bunch of people ended up getting killed and/or kidnapped.

I just got the impression that her outburst had more to do with fear and frustration over feeling as though they'd all put themselves in danger again just as they'd recently done over at Bellefleur's, than whatever feelings of disapproval she felt over the way certain people were grieving. If they'd never had the party at Bellefleur's that ended up leading to the group kidnapping I'm not sure that Nicole would ever have said anything. I also think initially she was probably fine with the idea of the party until Lettie Mae killed the mood then it was just like she woke up and thought what the hell are we doing? Did anyone really think they could just have a party and not have some dangerous shit go down? I feel like that was the main part of her thought process as opposed to thinking that it's disrespectful to grieve via party.

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked this episode, and despite the messiness, I'm liking the season. I am biased however since I'd happily watch an entire show in which Eric and Pam dress up in crazy outfits and infiltrate parties like snobby vampire ninjas barely hiding their contempt and distaste for humanity. It could run for ten seasons and I'd still be there on the couch, eating popcorn and reveling in the awesomeness.

Like a few others, I was happy poor Sookie actually finally heard some people thinking nice things about her. I also loved every moment with Andy because the actor is so freaking talented. I don't know if Arlene will act on the cute vamp who saved her meanwhile, but I would happily wave him in my direction. The guy was really gorgeous and intense and interesting-looking and did a lot with just a few moments.

I wasn't thrilled with Lafayette and James or with Jessica and Jason. I feel like there are times when this show shifts into love scenes into a really awkward way tonally, as if it's one show in one moment, then suddenly, BAM CHICKA BOW it's all Cinemax After Dark stuff. (The funny thing is, so few scenes on this show are actually sexy at all, but that's a conversation for another day.) I felt like everyone was in the wrong and worse showed terrible manners when a simple conversation would have ensured that everyone could go do what they wanted, guilt-free. But that's not drama, so there you go. I also agree with those who wish television would discover and acknowledge bisexuality as an actual thing. I found it weirdest of all that Jess would be that way (after shipping Tara with Pam) although I can see why Jason would (he's clearly higher on the Kinsey scale than he would ever admit to himself, way back as far as season 1).

I find Violet really interesting as a character. She's grown on me since last season -- the actress is gorgeous (and was really pretty amazing in a minor role last season on "Justified") and to me plays her with an interesting edge. She's blunt and brutal but she's one of the few characters on the show who truly succeeds at making me believe she is centuries old. Her bluntness feels intrinsic, like it comes from a medieval place, so I like that. I feel the same way about Godric (first and foremost), and for the same reason enjoy Bill's courtliness and Eric's brutality and romanticism. (I've never quite bought that Pam was a Victorian, but I love her too much to care.) 

Meanwhile, I agree with the poster who would have liked it if Eric had been kind to Ginger and glamoured her one last time -- but for kindness. I think that would have been sweeter than one more screaming scene, although it was mildly humorous.

Eric could do something now by virtue of being even older than Violet. Of course he'd have to claim Jason as his own and...

And... I'll be in my bunk. ;-)

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 2
(edited)

With Nicole though I think it's important to remember what triggered the outburst in the first place. Lettie Mae had just stabbed Willa and a bunch of vampires had a moment where the fangs came out and it seemed like some extra shit might end up happening. So then Nicole thinks back to the last time the town got together to have a party (a week, two weeks ago at most?) and she can't help but think okay, have we really learned nothing from these experiences? Last time they did something like that party a bunch of people ended up getting killed and/or kidnapped.

And, Nicole's not grieving the loss of someone else, and I don't think she was trying to tell anyone else how to grieve.  I think her point was that having a party was probably a pretty stupid and trivial way to handle the very real threat of hordes of Hep-V vamps on the loose (knocking out one nest doesn't kill or preclude others), and she would know -- she spent a few days locked up in the Fangtasia dungeon expecting certain death for herself and her child.  I think it was pretty unrealistic that 4 of the 4 women rescued from the dungeon were up for partying the night after that traumatic experience -- I would expect at least one of them to be a bit traumatized by it. 

By having it at her house they at least gave her a choice about whether she wanted to be there. And no one went upstairs and woke her up, she discovered it on her own.

I'd like to be consulted prior to someone throwing a boozy party for the entire town in my house.  It wasn't Lafayette's place to do that without her permission.  If he just wanted to have over 20 or so of their nearest and dearest to get together and remember the fallen, celebrate the latest victory, revel in life -- well, that may be different than throwing a kegger in Sookie's home for hundreds of people.  I don't think she really had a choice about being there, and I doubt she would have slept through the din of the DJ, people partying, etc. 

But, that said, Sookie's the worst, so I really can't get too worked up about people infringing on her right to quiet enjoyment of her home.  And of course Alcide gets killed by dint of another TM Sookie Stackhouse Stupid Idea, and everyone's quick to rally around Sookie (including Papa Alcide).  Maybe she should QUIT STOMPING AROUND BON TEMPS AT NIGHT.  Geez! 

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 1

ITA with posters on Nicole's speech, Lala's speech, and the general idea of a party so close to death.  Everyone has made good points and if this was a well written, serious show like G.O.T or something like that then I would be seriously upset & questioning why things were happening the way they are.  But they way I see it this is True Blood and IMO the writers just create scenarios that are convenient for them and have given up on common sense a long time ago.  Why was a party thrown; to setup hookups.  Whatever their agenda is, they simply have the characters do stuff to acheive it and to hell with if it makes sense or fits character.

He spent almost four episodes of this season sitting in his front room getting high. Well, ok, maybe three. But still. Three. Episodes. Three episodes devoted solely to get us to him fucking Jessica's boyfriend outside a party that she was at. 

I think this is all driving toward Hoyt coming back to Bon Temps.  Lots of drama, of course.  Hoyt ends up with Jessica.  Lala ends up with James.

• Love 1

I just realized that Jason should be infected with Hep-V. At the prison, he was fed on by all the female vamps who had just drank the tainted True Blood. 

Eric saved him with vamp blood, but I don't think Jason infected him since there wasn't mouth-to-skin contact (or was there?). 

...Anyways, I doubt the writers will address this if it doesn't fit their agenda. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Said to Mrs. Pootel: "All we got is cotton, slaves, and ... I can't remember the third one cuz I'm too lazy to look it up."

Arrogance.

I know it, I was just tickled by the idea of the writers being so lazy as to not get the quote right, and super-lazy enough to have Bill say this instead of just googling it.  Basically the retcon of Bill being a freedom fighter is super lazy, and it's almost unbelievable that they'd rip off one of the most iconic scenes in moviedom and not expect folks to see it as a ripoff.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did Eric not also have Hep V all over him when Nora died in his arms? I thought his face was totally pressed into her body.

Yeah, Jason should be infected if all it takes is a bite. I guess Violet got saved by a plothole.

If Hoyt is being brought back for Jessica that makes me worried for Jason for some reason. Also, if the idea is to end the show with a bunch of characters being neatly paired off *eyeroll* I don't know who that leaves Jason with. Violet is unappealing for the reasons stated by others; Jessica works but I'm inclined to agree that they must've brought the actor who plays Hoyt back for more than the brief scene where he finds out about his mother's death; Willa...I can't recall them ever having interacted much. I can't even recall if they interacted during this party---maybe he helped during the Lettie Mae insanity?; Adelyn is too young although it could be fun if Jason ended up being Andy's son in law.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1
(edited)
I just realized that Jason should be infected with Hep-V. At the prison, he was fed on by all the female vamps who had just drank the tainted True Blood.

Good point.  He's probably a carrier now.

I don't see Hoyt and Jessica getting back together in the end.  When Sookie and Eric spoke last week, I didn't see them as them potentially hooking up again, rather just reconciling after their shitty breakup.  That's what I'm thinking will happen with Hoyt and Jessica.  Things ended badly for them, and the writers probably don't want the series to conclude with them still at odds.  And in some way or another, Hoyt could even give Jason and Jessica his blessing to be a couple and move on, like he has.  Just like they're pushing Sookie/Bill, they're really pushing Jessica/Jason as endgame.  That's my theory, anyway.

While I understand Nicole's reaction to the party, I can also understand why the people of BT would grieve that way.  After all the crazy shit they've seen over the years, they're also celebrating the fact that they're still alive.  They've survived Maenads, werewolves, vampires, evil spirits, witches...the list goes on.  Nicole is right; this stuff does not happen in other towns.  But the residents of Bon Temps are used to this by now.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 1

And in some way or another, Hoyt could even give Jason and Jessica his blessing to be a couple and move on, like he has.

Unless Hoyt gets his memories back, though, I think any blessing would be rather ineffectual.  Hoyt at this point doesn't even seem to have memories of being friends with Jason (and probably has no memories of being with Jessica), so he would have no reason to object, right?

Just like they're pushing Sookie/Bill, they're really pushing Jessica/Jason as endgame.  That's my theory, anyway.

I agree.  I think we've already seen the last of Hoyt. 

• Love 1

I didn't mind the idea of a party as much as I minded the sheer stupidity of it. When there are large groups of roving crazed vampires around, I just tend to think gathering a large group of inebriated humans together is best done in broad daylight. A nighttime party makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Also, how in the heck did Jason keep inviting and rescending invitations to the house? He doesn't live there. Sookie's name is on the deed. So how does he have invite rights? Are they extending invite lore to cover anyone who is blood related?

Bill can die in a fire. And if he could take multiple characters along with him I'd be good with that for an ending. Lettie Mae is at the top of my list. I like the actress in other roles but in this one, it bugs the dickens out of me how much screen time the character has gotten while Tara was offed first thing.

Everytime she screams and wails I remember how utterly awful she was to others, Tara especially. I can't forget or excuse her past history so this strange sort of seemly-trying-to-make-her-sympathetic arc they have her on...yeah not buying.

Sadly, I don't believe I'm going to miss this show when it's gone which is a damn shame.

The end is all about Sookie. Others see it differently but I still think of Sookie as the sister who only does it for "love" and looks down on the slut sister who does it for fun. So Jason doesn't necessarily get a happy ending. Jason I think is the prime candidate for an unhappy ending on grounds that everybody's favorites are someone else and also sluts don't get happy endings. Jason's best chance for a happy ending is if the writers think Jason is Jessica's happy ending. This isn't so obvious. I could imagine the writers turning Jason. If for some reason he was forced to associate with Pam, I for one would day dream of the deluge of snark Pam would inflict on Mr. Hapless. 

I didn't mind the idea of a party as much as I minded the sheer stupidity of it. When there are large groups of roving crazed vampires around, I just tend to think gathering a large group of inebriated humans together is best done in broad daylight. A nighttime party makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Also, how in the heck did Jason keep inviting and rescending invitations to the house? He doesn't live there. Sookie's name is on the deed. So how does he have invite rights? Are they extending invite lore to cover anyone who is blood related?

At least the party is indoors at a human home this time... so if there happened to be another roaming band of infected in the immediate area, they wouldn't be able to get inside and attack everyone like what happened in the season opener. So it's at least safer. Sookie did ask if it was safe for her to come outside when she came to talk to Bill, so they are at least thinking about it still.

Any human can issue/rescind invites apparently- aside from Bill in S2 saying "A human who lives here must invite me in" it only has to be a human, So I think the writers decided their lore in S2 was to restrictive and changed it. Cooter invited Russell into Alcide's house in S3... Sarah Newlin kicked Jessica out of Jason's house last season... I think there might have been another example somewhere as well.

Alternatively, you could explain it as "if you've slept in this house or had sex in it" that would fit to- Jason lived there when he was growing up. Coot did it with Debbie in Alcide's apartment, Sarah Newlin had just had sex with Jason when she rescinded Jessica's invite... But really, I think it's just simply a human in the house can invite/dis-invite.