Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Lost Cause

(edited)

I agree that this episode was a step backward but, overall, I still found it better than the first episodes of the season (with the exception of episode 4 that I still consider the best of the season finale so far).

I don't care about Nicole AT ALL but here I was with her, too. How could people have fun around Sookie who was clearly about to cry and force her to enjoy the fun (because c'mon, it totally crossed the line of the simple "celebration of life") is beyond me. To be fair, Bill has been one of the few guests who behaved correctly, given the circumstances. And Sookie has been really nice: had my friends forced me to throw a party when all I wanted to do was mourning the loss I just experienced, I would've kicked them out of my home for sure.

I appreciate that Sookie is still thinking about Alcide, though: I was no shipper of those two, but with Bill and Eric around, I'm glad authors are giving her at least a few episodes before jumping again on any of them. And I, too, thought the point for Jackson to overhear Sookie's conversation with Arlene was to let Sookie found Alcide's jacket on the bed. That was a nice touch.

Speaking of Bill, I wonder how he got infected. If the reason is really that Sookie's blood is no longer good, then my hopes that her blood could somewhat be a cure (for Eric) are crashed. However, there's no way that both him and Eric will die. At least one of them (if not both) will survive. And I also guess that's the reason why Sarah Newlin is still alive even though Eric's team and the Yakuza/Crazy 88 are chasing her: she's been the one who spread the Hep V in the first place, maybe she's also the only one to know about a cure? I can see her survive all of this by saying Eric: "Before you kill me, you should know there's a cure! Let me live and I'll tell you how to find it!"

I think we all saw the James/Lafayette hook-up coming. I agree that Lafayette's "I deserve some happiness too" wasn't a decent excuse, considering he's a friend of Jessica, but let's face it: since the beginning of this season, Jessica hasn't shown any real interest in James and, imho, it was pretty obvious that she would've come back to Jason sooner or later (I love them together, so I'm not going to complain). Hence, let's go with Jason/Jessica and James/Lafayette (who, on the other hand, have been cute since moment #1) and kick Violet out of this show, please. I can't stand her and now I'm even scared she'll want revenge.

(Seriously, I know she's a vampire but how could she say something like: "I understand how you're feeling Sookie, I had hundreds of boyfriends dying on me and the first ones were really tough!") Just.go.away.

Eric and Pam were fun to watch, as usual. But I want them back to Bon Temps: I'll repeat it till the end, when the whole cast is together, the show can still bring some great moments.

Edited by penelope79

As other's have noted, this was a step down from last week but still better the majority of episodes of this season. Although, I can say I could have ff through half of it.(I am mainly looking at Bill's flashbacks when I say that.)

If they are setting up a Bill clean slate finishing arc, and I think they are, what does what he did in the (way back) past have to do with the now? I am not sure why they are going through all the trouble because it never stopped them in the past from letting us know that Bill is the male hero in the end game. 

Lafayette's whole speech would have resonated more in a totally different setting. Lala took no responsible for his behavior, and how other's treated him had nothing to do with his disrespecting Jessica. 

Jason not thinking that someone could be bisexual is classic and true Jason. He is one of my favorite characters but, after season three, I thought that not allowing him to grow a little was a mistake. He is pretty much the same clueless Jason.

Jessica, although young, she has never struck me as clueless. Even if she does not agree with bisexuality, her not understanding that someone could be bisexual was a bit off for her, imo.

Pam and Eric have always been assholes and will always be assholes. I like that they are not assholes to everybody. I love them. With that said, Willa going in on them and not relenting was awesome. Of the new people from last season (or the past two seasons), I like Willa best. 

Nicole was spot on. When my mom died, my siblings tried to party the hurt away. I said exactly what Nicole said in exactly the same manner that she said it.

If Tara is speaking to Lettie Mae about the Hep V cure, I call shenanigans. Of all people, why Tara? Well, with the uneveness of character portayal over the seasons, why not Tara?

I am sure I am forgetting something, but those are my initial thoughts.

• Love 1

Bill's special snowflake strain of HepV will provide the magic cure for Eric and company, I think.

Agreed.  My first thought was that we're going to see all the other vampires feeding off his blood...again.

Bill and Sookie could completely disappear and it would do nothing but improve the show.

True Blood is sloppy, nonsensical, and nuts, but I love it!

I was thinking the other day about how one line from S3 sums up the show, the infamous Debbie Pelt "They killed my Cooter" line:

"He weren't no hero! He just wanted to do some V and have a little fun!"

This show ain't no Wire. It just wants to do some V and have a little fun. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I hated Bill's flashbacks, especially the one which was from Gone with the wind. I mean, seriously?

Loved every scene with Eric and Pam. To me, they've always been the best characters in this show. I really don't want Eric to die. I hate when the writers decide that killing a great character in the last episode is the best way to say good bye so hopefully they'll find a cure. 

"You're all looking at me like I'm crazy, but it's only because I used to have a drinking problem that people don't believe me!"

"You stabbed someone, Auntie! That's why people think you're crazy!"

LOL

James should have broken up with Jessica before having sex with Lafayette, but I also think James and Jessica's relationship was already dead. And I sort of ship Jason/Jessica, so I'm okay with that, too. I'm just worried about Violet's reaction. 

Ginger... I never get tired of Ginger. And I love to hate Sarah Newlin so I can't wait to see what happens with her now that she's with Eric. I agree that she could know something about a cure for the V. Again, I hope so.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 5
(edited)
Jessica, although young, she has never struck me as clueless. Even if she does not agree with bisexuality, her not understanding that someone could be bisexual was a bit off for her, imo.

I don't think she doesn't understand the concept. I think she was just in denial. Like Jason said (paraphrasing): "How did you not know your boyfriend was gay?" I think her reaction was more about her and struggling to understand how she could have been this in the dark about who James is, and wondering if this is really what he wants and maybe he wasn't actually attracted to her after all, etc. Any one of a million irrational, rambling thoughts that run through an otherwise rational person's head when they're blindsided by something like this. It's more of an emotional reaction than an intellectual one. Intellectually, they totally get how relationships and sexuality are complicated and attraction isn't as straightforward as "He was with a man? But I thought he was straight!" Emotionally, though, she's confused and frazzled. But, the fact that she wasn't nearly as upset as she could have been even before she rebounded in Jason's lap is pretty much indicative of the fact that Lafayette, though unjustly self-righteous, was right: she and James don't have much of a relationship and haven't for a while now.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, I guess realism is perhaps a silly expectation for a show about vampires, werewolves, fairies, and shapeshifters but that sitting ducks scene at the gala pretty much took me out of the episode. If the producers went to the trouble to be topical by including some product placement for Ted Cruz, IMO they should also have had some of the guests pulling their own weapons. Whatever, at this point it's starting to look like they're just running out the clock with an abundance of flashbacks and wish fulfillment.

The only explanation I can think of is, because it was a big political gala, they probably wouldn't be allowed to carry weapons inside out of fear of assassination attempts. They would likely search people at the door, and maybe even have a metal detector (like they do at the courthouse). But if that were the case, there should have been some hardcore security in place as well.

ETA - Living in TX myself, no one I know actually carries a gun on them (although several people I know have them in their homes). Of course, I don't know any rich political types, so they could be different.

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 2
But, the fact that she wasn't nearly as upset as she could have been even before she rebounded in Jason's lap is pretty much indicative of the fact that Lafayette, though unjustly self-righteous, was right: she and James don't have much of a relationship and haven't for a while now.

This. While Lala maybe should have backed off until James and Jessica were on the same page, the way it went down is more realistic, I think. At least as realistic as a storyline with a bisexual vampire torn between his vampire girlfriend and human male BFF can be. If there is a bad guy in the scenario, and I don't think there is, it's James, for allowing the encounter to happen at a party Jessica was at, risking discovery. I think that getting caught may have even been part of the point.

• Love 1

James, Jessica, LaFayette, Jason ( and potentially Violet) all had good points, but they all handled their situations very badly. Yes, Jess and James relationship was all but over, but Lala should have kept it in his pants until it was officially over out of respect for himself, and James. In fact he could have encouraged James to end it instead of prolonging his (James) misery. Jess? You did the exact same thing to Jason/Violet that Lafayette did to you and James so you can stop being butthurt right this instant.

Violet isn't going to handle this well. Gird your loins people. 

I agree with Nicole; this wasn't a celebration of life, it was a big drunk. I admit after what they've been through, everyone needs to blow off some steam, but maybe not right after Alcide and Tara just died? Give it a day or two?  

And Nicole's dress was gorgeous. I want it. 

I'm tired of Sarah Newlin. Kill her and be done with it. She wasn't that epic a big, bad character to be taking up this much time in the final season. The best bad guy this show ever had was Russel Edgington and he is long gone. This woman who keeps sleeping with what she considers powerful men is a snore and is taking story away from more interesting characters. 

• Love 3

I live for the Eric/Pam show. Those two have so much chemistry and it's not even romantic, it's just loving. Also, they have fun and are entertaining to watch.

I have never liked Bill's flashbacks. While FFwed, I did roll my eyes at the whole helping the slaves thing.

The whole love pentagon with Lala/James/Jess/Jason/Violet was a bit of a mess, but darn it, Jason and Jess have ridiculous chemistry. They are sweet together though not too bright. Weirdly enough, I was growing to like Violet this episode. She was still awful, but she is over the top loyal.

Andy's moments with Jess and Holly were nice.

(edited)

The party was a horrible idea and ridiculous story-wise. I thought it was just an excuse by the writers to have all the cast together before the end of the series. 

The Jessica/James/Jason/Lafayette was also sloppy and felt forced just to have some sexy scenes.

The same goes for Andy forgiving Jessica for eating three of his daughters -- it felt forced. 

The whole episode (in Bon Temps ) just felt like a midway hurdle the writers used to set up the last half of the season.

It was okay, but just okay ..  

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2
(edited)
The same goes for Andy forgiving Jessica for eating three of his daughters.

I really hate that they seem to be pushing past that whole thing that easily. I don't want Andy to forgive Jessica. I love Jessica, but what she did was unforgiveable. I would have liked for Andy to take her aside and tell her explicitly that he hasn't forgiven her and probably never will, but he's done hating her for it, and maybe it's all the same thing and letting go of the anger is really just the first step to forgiveness, but either way she needs to stop acting all skittish around him and forcing herself to be unhappy because her dwelling on her pain is just making him dwell on his pain and he doesn't want to live in pain anymore. All he wants now is to move forward with Adilyn and Holly and focus on the future. More of a peace offering than forgiveness, which is how it should be.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 6
(edited)

Especially in Texas. It was unrealistic to me that most of those people at the gala wouldn't be armed and able to shoot back.

Ironically, even Republican events ban guns. It's partially a liability issue. Of course they don't want to say that but let's be honest, if Ted Cruz is your keynote speaker, there are going to be metal detectors. Normally I don't by into conspiracy theories about a writers' agendas but having an event at the Bush library with Ted Cruz as speaker and Sarah asking if Laura Bush was there and the Yakuza killing half the people in that room because they are gunning for the woman who helped create and spread the equivalent of vampire AIDS? Even liberal lefty me was thinking, "Geez, dial it back y'all!

I cracked up at Jason telling Adalyn and Holly's son, "If you two are fucking, that's gotta stop right now."

I'm not going to get too upset at the whole conversation around James' sexuality. People have different levels of understanding about these things and it seems in character for Jason to think of things in terms of gay or straight. While Jessica just saw her boyfriend screwing a male friend of hers. I saw her reaction as more based on her coming to terms with what just happened.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 3

I dunno about Violet's reaction. She has consistently displayed a great deal of self-control, so it's entirely possible her reaction is going to be a lot more subtle than just a straight up rampage. . 

Going off the trailer for next week.... She's going to pick Adilyn to be her next Significant-Other?  That would certainly count as revenge on Jessica, and if she can get the fairy on board, it would be Gloriously difficult for anyone to give her shit about it. On the other hand, I may be giving the writers far to much credit here.

(edited)

The writers are so fucking lazy sometimes. They basically gave Bill Rhett Butler's speech to the men at the Twelve Oaks barbeque. I swear he even got the line about being sorry if the truth offends them.

Add me to the list who feels the flashbacks are cheap, manipulative, and a waste of time considering it's the final season. I almost find it offensive that I'm supposed to be back to thinking Bill is so sweet and great because the writers decided to tack on some forced Underground Railroad backstory. Like I said before---Lazy.

While I wasn't expecting the well heeled guests to be toting around mac-10s, I was wondering wth was going on with their security detail. There should have been some fighting back and I don't really remember seeing any.

Why do the Yakuza guys only have blades when Eric is around?

So Sookie infected Bill and now she has another thing that she can cry and feel guilty about. Exciting stuff.

I love Sarah Newlin. She has this completely OTT, unshakable unwavering belief that she's right, everyone else is wrong, and if people disagree with or hate her they are mean. And wrong.

Her plaintive wail of "I'm a Buddhist!" was perfect, as was breezing into town and assuming she could bunk with the sister she hid from the world and tried to pretend was dead.

This is exactly part of what makes me love to hate her character. I feel like a person has to be born with the kind of arrogance and obliviousness that she possesses because it's just mind blowingly outrageous how a person who has done the things she has done will still no doubt see herself as the Great Victim in this after all is said and done. I honestly think she thinks she's a good person. In terms of self absorbed characters, I think she even gives Cersei Lannister a run for her money and that's saying something.

ETA

Auto correct is my fucking nemesis!

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1

Going off the trailer, I figured Violet is about to go after Adilyn to punish Jessica (frame her for the girl's death, or lure her out for a fight maybe).  That promo was more interesting than the show. 

I didn't mind the Jessica/Jason conversation, but maybe I wasn't listening to it all that closely because I didn't really take that much from it about gay/bisexual.  To me they said a few words, Lafayette came in to make a speech, and then they had sex.  

I don't mind the party being a party either.  Yeah, "celebration of life" was a bit of bullshit but I think there's a certain logic in just having a party when you know that the world's an extremely dangerous place and your life could easily be over any second.  I was just surprised so many people were left alive in Bon Temps to attend, but I guess the angry mob who died at Fangtasia was only one carload of people (though it was bigger before).  Speaking of- did the ordinary folk know that those people were dead?  Now that ordinary people are part of the plot, I'm kinda curious.

The writers are so fucking lazy sometimes. They basically gave Bill Rhett Butler's speech to the men at the Twelve Oaks barbeque. I swear he even got the line about being sorry if the truth offends them.

Said to Mrs. Pootel: "All we got is cotton, slaves, and ... I can't remember the third one cuz I'm too lazy to look it up."

I don't mind the party being a party either.  Yeah, "celebration of life" was a bit of bullshit but I think there's a certain logic in just having a party

I don't mind it in theory (been to a few Irish-ish wakes, they were fun and it's easier to cry and be honest when drunk) but the execution here was annoying.  First Sookie is all 'I'm not up for a party so no party for anyone', then Lafayette is all 'We're throwing a party and you will dress up and attend'.  I know both of these were intended to be touching and honest but they came across to me as selfish and petulant.  Sookie curling up with Alcide's jacket had the potential to be touching but I think this was ameliorated by her earlier tude-pulling and what's-her-name's 'foreshadowing' (which came off more like a writer's note - "sookie will later curl up with Alcide's jacket").

• Love 1
Even liberal lefty me was thinking, "Geez, dial it back y'all!

Yeah, it was a bit OTT/on the nose but after watching them spend the better part of two seasons making a mockery of organized religion, one show throwing some shade at a few GOP luminaries didn't faze me much.

• Love 1

it was a good episode until the Bill flashbacks started. Those have to go. I could justify this by talking about how they detract from the primary narrative, alter the show's pacing, yadda yadda yadda, but ultimately my complaint is that they are BORING!

Lafayette seems to be the official Fourth Wall Guy. Not only was he the one a few years ago who told off Sookie about how her policy of "just do the right thing and everything will turn out all right," tends to kill everybody around her... but this week he pretty much did the same thing that Xander did on Buffy and told the writers that he was tired of being the show's comedy relief guy.

Note to Yakuza: if you have automatic weapons, and you know that vampires a real thing, you should always be armed for them. Swords? In 2014? Not as effective.

Sarah's sister is awesome.

Andy's speech made no sense. Jessica being bothered about killing his daughters keeps reminding him? But otherwise he can just shrug it off? No. I think a more appropriate speech might have been "Listen, I understand it was just a one-time loss of control, but I need to move on past it, so I've asked Keith/ Violet/ Random New Vampire of the Week to take over my family's protection. Here's the address of another family that's been asking for somebody to help them."

Lettie's  drama is getting really old. Can't one of the vampires just glamour the addiction out of her? 

Sarah Newlin can die. The show already has too many characters. We already know she's horrible, so nothing she does will be surprising, and for a group that puts out genocidal plagues to also have made an antidote doesn't really make sense.

After Jackson's big speech about heroic deaths I figure he's a goner soon.

Not sure what Violet's going to do. Hopefully it doesn't involve Hoyt, although with the timing of him about to come to town, I suspect it will. Enslaving him would be a very successful "fuck you" to both Jessica and Jason.

Last week's episode was a good solid A. This one I think would have been an A-. But the Bill flashbacks dragged it down to a B+ at best.

Overall, I liked this episode as well. Not as fun as last week, but it had some good moments.

I don't mind the Bill flashbacks in general, since I like seeing more about Bill... but the middle one especially- with the running away was an odd choice and didn't play the way the writers probably wanted it to. As I said in another post- they could have done these flashbacks more succinctly and made their point much more clearly- but hopefully there is more to this than just Bill looking back on what I'm guessing is one of the toughest parts of his human life during another trying time in his vampire life.

Was totally shocked by Bill being infected. Surely it's from Sookie and her arm wound getting covered in Hep V vamp, and her fairy blood must have mutated the virus and made it work much faster (Even she was a carrier not 24 hours after her own inoculation... that's pretty damn fast) But they did pretty much wrap up almost the whole plot last week, so they did need more stuff finish off the season.

James and Lafayette- you knew it was coming, but it was a dick move for them to get so carried away at the party. But it's just like any other 'accidental' cheating that we've seen over and over on TB and everywhere else. And yes, it was quite interesting that Jessica turns around and does the same thing to another relationship. I wasn't overly bothered by Lafayette's rant at Jessica, even if it could have used some more context. I suppose James could have told Lafayette that Jessica doesn't even know those things or care about his past- but they were together for like 6 months, I mean seriously? They didn't talk about any of that ever? I can see that Jessica was completely checked out of the relationship with all her guilt, but he should have left her instead of cheating on her. I think Jessica was just pissed that James was cheating, not so much that it was with a man/woman... even if she was very surprised that James was interested in a man.

Violet is going to do something very scary, I have a feeling. Drunk/grieving people are not smart.

I loved the proposal, that was very sweet and hopefully since it's the final season, some happy couples will get to survive and be happy.

I didn't mind the party, the concept was okay... I think it was just a matter of people getting so hammered that it got a little too festive... but really, Nicole bugs majorly... she came to Bon Temps seeking out the other... wanting to be some activist vampire/shifter rights group and got her stupid friends killed. I think after having a near death experience getting drunk surrounded by people and friends makes sense.

Dallas was great. I'm glad Eric got a nice burst of energy- or maybe stage 1 makes you weak? and Stage 2 though it's worse, you get some energy back? You just need to feed a lot more or something? but anyway- he was able to kill the dude who threatened Pam, which was nice. I'm surprised they would just come in and kill everybody though, you'd think some discretion would be helpful. But Eric and Pam all dressed up was a hoot :)

Bill's flashbacks were a little confusing and of course he was the one Southerner who was against the war and was friends with the slaves and so good and pure, lol. But this is True Blood and it's what I expect. I also love seeing the names of the old Bon Temps families popping up.

The Yakuza busting into the party and just flat out slaughtering everyone was unexpected and hilarious. You guys never heard of subtlety? I did like Eric getting his revenge and ripping gold tooth's face off. I hated that he didn't just kill Sarah Newlin outright but I guess she'll know how to reverse engineer the disease and create the cure.

Jessica/James/Lafayette was a mess. I mean, I loved the James/Lafayette stuff but Lala coming in demanding his happy ending with James as if he never had a relationship with Jesus? Also they spent so much time building up the James/Lafayette connection this season and zero time with Jessica/James. Wasn't it only last week that this James finally had real scenes with Jessica? I felt no connection between that couple so I wasn't that upset over the breakup.

The party was a horrible idea and ridiculous story-wise. I thought it was just an excuse by the writers to have all the cast together before the end of the series.

A better get together would have been, I don't know, a WAKE.  Lots of food and drinks and people could have still gotten a bit out of control toward the later stages.

(What's up with the yakuza guys - are they vampires too? The guy Eric killed looks exactly the same as he did in 1986.)

I didn't understand this, either -- plus, there didn't seem to be a gold tooth in the mouth after Eric ripped it out.

For the most part, I liked it. I could've done without the umpteenth Bill flashback, but since he's been infected too, that pretty much balances things out, but only if Ms. Guess Who isn't his savior. As for Bill's being forced to fight for the South during the Civil War, that could've come up in Season One, especially during the episode where he gave that speech to Adele's church group about the Confederacy. Re Sookie and the party, while the timing was questionable at best, IMO the purpose wasn't. If anyone deserved to have a party thrown in their honor, it was Alcide. Too bad he wasn't there to enjoy it. It was great seeing Jackson again; Lettie Mae, otoh, not so much, especially since she went to the party for all the wrong reasons. LM didn't go to honor Alcide or Tara; she just wanted to get her next fix from Willa, hence her stabbing Willa and becoming a party pooper in the process. After what she tried to pull, LM's going to be on top of everybody's shit list, human, vamp or whatever, for a long time to come. As for Nicole, she had a point, but this was about celebrating life in general and Alcide's life in particular, not just for shits and giggles. Arlene was great this week. She not only helped Sookie admit that she mourned Alcide, she helped her deal with it with two things: "time and tequila." Speaking of booze, while Keith, the 300-year-old vamp who saved Arlene is hot, Arlene's buying hid claim that Arlene's "the most beautiful woman [he's] ever seen" just proved how drunk she was. Arlene's pretty, but IMO she's no more the most beautiful woman to Keith than Sylvie was the love of Eric's life.

Speaking of Eric, he and Pam impressed me. First,  Eric finally did right by Willa by apologizing to her for being such a shitty Maker to her and releasing her. Eric's getting worse may have had something to do with that, but better late than never. Kudos to Willa for telling Eric and Pam that Tara was a better Maker to her than Eric and Pam combined. Willa also gets props for telling Eric and Pam about Amber, Sarah Newlin's HepV-infected sister, whom I like. Like everyone else in Sarah's life, Amber was used by Sarah when it was convenient for her and became collateral damage when she was through. Next, Eric and Pam went after Sarah, who was responsible for spreading HepV. "Selfish bitch" is the nicest thing I can call Sarah. She's so self-absorbed that she ran back to her parents like there was nothing wrong. Sarah showed up at a Republican fundraiser looking like a member of Occupy Wall Street? Seriously? She not only stuck out like a sore thumb, she might as well have worn a sign saying "Please Kill Me" in Japanese. Sarah's selfishness not only got her own parents killed, she basically signed Amber's True Death warrant, so whatever suffering she gets, she deserves, as far as I'm concerned. Last, but not least was Eric's going all Northman on the Yakuza's ass, especially Gold Tooth Guy, who got what I call "a Viking facial." Unfortunately, Eric had to let Sarah go, but hopefully, Pam caught her.

A better get together would have been, I don't know, a WAKE.  Lots of food and drinks and people could have still gotten a bit out of control toward the later stages.

I know Lafayette claimed that the party was mostly for Sookie to not be alone and to have a chance to grieve Alcide (and Tara) but I also took it as a place for our survivors to rejoice and celebrate- For Arlene and Holly and Jane and Nicole to be glad they were alive and let loose a little... So if it were just a wake for the deceased, it leaves out that sort of things.

Given what's happened to the people of Bon Temps, just a wake doesn't seem like enough...

It actually had me cracking up.  And I've now decided that all of the flash backs from this episode in which Bill is suddenly Rhett Buttler and Harriet Tubman rolled into one retconosaurus of a back story is just the Hep-V making him delusional. He's already bought into this idea that he is a new man and changed so now he's disease altered brain is just taking that to the nth and rewriting all of his past.

Question:  Shouldn't Arlene be infected? And Holly too for that matter?  Eric seemed to indicate that an infected vampire feeding on you could infect you and Arlene and Holly were both fed on by several of the Hep-V mob.  The reason I was thinking about it was that , if Arlene is infected, Vampire Keith is pretty mellow about her Hep-V status in pursuing her.

• Love 2

I liked this episode although it wasn't as good as last week's.  I enjoy Bill's flashbacks, I don't know why but I do so I had no problem seeing more of them...maybe it's because I like his family...I still think Bill's going to die in the finale.

The Good Stuff:

Anything Andy related is always in my good column, but the proposal took the cake, it was just too adorable for words.

Jason had 3 great moments for me, the comment to Adiland and Rocky? about having to stop screwing around was priceless.  I also adored his casual, dance through the living room while picking up and dropping a pillow for Andy to kneel on.  Finally the Ring scene and the follow up talk with Jessica about Violet.  He's such a sweet dullard, it's hard not to adore him.

Pam/Eric - Anything, everything.  From the early talk with Willa (nice acting by Kristen B), to the scene with Sarah Newlin's sister to finally the hotel room.  Romantic or not these two have fantastic chemistry and the sheer love that's between them, is wonderful to watch.  

The Arlene/Sookie bedroom scene, it was sweet and sad and hit all the right notes for dealing with loss when surrounded by the craziness of their lives.  If I wasn't so worried about Robert Patrick overhearing Sookie reveal to Arlene that she didn't love Alcide as much as she should have or that she was somehow relieved that he was dead, i would have enjoyed that scene more.  However, the payoff of Robert Patrick getting Alcide's jacket for Sookie to cuddle with was worth it, I really liked that end scene

The Bad Stuff:

James/Lala/Jess/Jason/Violet - I just don't care and it really didn't seem necessary, unless it's because they want to set Jessica/Jason up as End Couple.  

The Sookie/Bill talk...i was terrified that drunk Sookie was going to hook up with Bill.  I'm not at all opposed to it (not in favor of it either, it's just there) but it was just way too soon.  So glad they didn't go there.

Ginger - This wasn't really bad, the character has always been played for laughs.  However, there was a part of me that thought it would have been nice if Eric/Pam gave Fangtasia to Ginger after last week's reveal. 

• Love 1
(edited)

When Sarah Newlin saw Eric in the hallway, it reminded me of another Sarah trying to escape bad guys only to saved by an even badder one. Specifically the scene that's 4:42-5:00 in this video ... http://vimeo.com/12078669

The Yakuza just marching in and openly spraying everyone with bullets seemed kind of sloppy for an elite organzied crime unit.

Darlene's bit about putting on Terry's jacket to 'feel his arms around me again' made me tear up. I'm such a sucker for sentiment.

Edited by Tech Noir
I know Lafayette claimed that the party was mostly for Sookie to not be alone and to have a chance to grieve Alcide (and Tara) but I also took it as a place for our survivors to rejoice and celebrate- For Arlene and Holly and Jane and Nicole to be glad they were alive and let loose a little... So if it were just a wake for the deceased, it leaves out that sort of things.

In all fairness to having a party for the dead, this is a custom in New Orleans to celebrate life and not mourn the dead when someone dies.  And since they live so close to the big easy it would make sense, especially for someone like Lafayette, to want to celebrate since he seems to be of the spiritual voodoo mind and has lost much himself. 

I was hoping Hoyt would be at this party so someone could say something nice about Mrs. Foytenberry.  She might have been a pain to denizens of Bon Temps but gosh I loved her lots!  Not a word was said in her honor.

I agree with previous posters that Lala was out of line saying "I deserve happiness too" to Jessica literally 10 mins after she found her bf & he in the car together.  While he is correct and deserving of happiness perhaps that conversation should have been done much later (at least a few days) afterwards.  He should have just let Jessica be and let her grieve in Jason's arms. 

What's up with the yakuza guys - are they vampires too? The guy Eric killed looks exactly the same as he did in 1986.)

I didn't get this either, and I totally forgot about the 1986 flashback where they killed his squeeze. I know who they are (sort of) in real life but I don't get how they fit into this world/show.

Nicole bores me, but I pretty much agree with her.  I understand the concept of not mourning someone's death, but celebrating their life (the whole Irish wake concept), but this party just felt like an excuse for everyone to dance and hook-up.

Agreed. I lost a good friend to cancer after many long years and everyone always knew it was just a matter of time. We often spoke of having a "party" to celebrate his life, but trust me - nobody really feels like having a party after the death of a loved one. And it seems to me that Arlene has gotten over Terry's death a little too quickly as well. Not to mention the trauma she and Holly just escaped from.

I didn't notice anything different or special about the dark vein on Bill's chest to indicate his Hep V was any different than anyone else's (albeit in an earlier stage); but then again I didn't see the promos for next week so maybe that's what I'm missing.

I think everyone may die by the end of this season.  Bill, Eric and Pam definitely.  Stephen Moyer was interviewed at a movie premiere a few months ago and was asked about a True Blood movie.  He said he didn't think it would be possible after this season so, I'm assuming everyone will die.  Or maybe he meant that this season would be so awful no one would go see a True Blood movie.  It seemed like the writers were having Sookie and Bill say goodbye to each other so, I'm guessing Bill will die next week.  This season has really been terrible there are so many things wrong, I don't even know where to begin. 

• Love 1

I didn't get this either, and I totally forgot about the 1986 flashback where they killed his squeeze. I know who they are (sort of) in real life but I don't get how they fit into this world/show.

Agreed. I lost a good friend to cancer after many long years and everyone always knew it was just a matter of time. We often spoke of having a "party" to celebrate his life, but trust me - nobody really feels like having a party after the death of a loved one. And it seems to me that Arlene has gotten over Terry's death a little too quickly as well. Not to mention the trauma she and Holly just escaped from.

I didn't notice anything different or special about the dark vein on Bill's chest to indicate his Hep V was any different than anyone else's (albeit in an earlier stage); but then again I didn't see the promos for next week so maybe that's what I'm missing.

Terry died 6 months ago... and Arlene still isn't completely over it... what else are you expecting her to do? Getting shitfaced after almost dying seems like a reasonable option for many folks.

I don't know how well the townspeople knew Alcide to mourn him... even JM has said in interviews that Alcide's only friends are Sam and Sookie. So this was a reason for a lot of people just to party, and they were told no "I'm sorry for your loss" was allowed.

Assuming Bill was infected by Sookie the night before, Bill's disease is progressing very rapidly for him to have veins already... which is why it's different... and the promo continues that theme.

• Love 1

I use to go out to parties and havin a ball. Now I got myself together baby no more standing upside the wall-- as long as your groovin there's always a chance somebody watchin might wanna make romance .
Allright some Marvin Gaye-  maybe the write’s have got it together. The party   was groovin’ .  James did notice Lafayette. Then cut to old mopey face-looking dreary by the fireplace -while the party’s going full tilt, another tedious Bill flashback.  By the way- the escaping from the Confederates was a total Sound of Music rip off.
Lafayette, Eric, Pam were grooving this ep. God forbid we only spend a few minutes of screen time  on them and immediately go back to Suckie.
Nelson Ellis continues to save every episode he’s in.  Calling Jess on her S*t and the other white citizens of Bon Temps, never think of his needs as a person and a man.  I hope he gets that.  Pam and Eric continue to be awesome in spite of the writers.   Eric gets a bad ass action moment-(ruined) but the writers have given him a bad case of ADD and he loses focus on Newlin and goes after the Yakuza.  After 7 seasons I cannot believe I’m watching the last few episodes heavily featuring Yakuza. 
As for Bill- hurry up and die- (take Suckie with you.) I could care less. It was an ep that a few real highlights and the rest was garbáge

I'm not sure why, but Bill's family in the underground railroad itself sort of set my teeth on edge.

Because he’s part of a wealthy family that lived in a big, plantation-y house in Louisiana in the 1860s and they’re trying to portray him as not just anti-secession/war but as friendly with local African Americans (wasn’t sure if that guy was a slave or a “free man of color”)? Yeah, right.

And then he’s got his whole family Underground Railroad-ing it? Aside from the unbelievability, that grossness I feel I call appropriation, co-option, even! /Snagglepuss voice

We had Reporter!Eric, we had VideoStore!Eric . . . now we have Cowboy!Eric. Holy crap, seeing him vamp as a country Republican was oddly awesome. May he survive Hep V and get a spinoff with Pam.

Vamp PIs, going undercover, something very Remington Steele.

Like Pam, I really liked Sarah Newlin’s vampire sister.

Speaking of, why didn’t Eric snap Sarah’s neck quickly before ripping off that Yakuza guy’s face? Some of the Yakuza here are vamps, right? That would explain why Eric couldn’t super speed kill them all and end up getting caught for next week’s ep. But that doesn’t explain why the Yakuza (human or otherwise) went into the fundraiser guns blazing, instead of something more … precise and Yakuza-worthy?

I read Lafeyette's speech as being something of a meta-moment, directed not so much at Jessica as at certain television shows, movies, and audiences.  Black people and gay people are still often portrayed as clowns or comic relief sidekicks, even on shows that should know better.  So it's refreshing to see Lafeyette, as a character who potentially combines both kinds of stereotypes refusing to play that game.  It's almost as though Lafeyette (and by extension the  wonderful Nelsan Ellis) is giving us an end-of-the-series summation of why so many of us deeply love this character and performance.  He could have been just another clown or joke, but he's turned it into something a lot more.

Yes! I agreed with the content his speech, but the way it was shoehorned in did not work.

• Love 1

That means you do care (at least a little).

Sorry, Word Crimes stuck in my head

Ha LOL  Guilty as charged.    I'll give you a pass on Weird Al. I think he's hilarious.  I just watched the video and it may have made just for me.

Also- I care a lot about the show so I'm posting-even though I am grammar challenged. ;)

• Love 1
Speaking of, why didn’t Eric snap Sarah’s neck quickly before ripping off that Yakuza guy’s face?

Because if he killed Sarah now then there would be nothing to do for the next 4 weeks on True Blood and we would be stuck with an hour of Bill's stupid flashbacks.

Some of the Yakuza here are vamps, right? That would explain why Eric couldn’t super speed kill them all and end up getting caught for next week’s ep. But that doesn’t explain why the Yakuza (human or otherwise) went into the fundraiser guns blazing, instead of something more … precise and Yakuza-worthy?

I always assumed the Yakuza were vampire based.  They would have to be to come up with True Blood in the first place, even before the rest of the general public knew vampires even existed.  I have no idea why they began shooting people.  In fact why are they even important now?  They've been talked about here and there through out the entire series but now, 5 episodes left, and all of a sudden they are the biggest threat to vampires?  WTH?

• Love 1

Because if he killed Sarah now then there would be nothing to do for the next 4 weeks on True Blood and we would be stuck with an hour of Bill's stupid flashbacks.

I always assumed the Yakuza were vampire based.  They would have to be to come up with True Blood in the first place, even before the rest of the general public knew vampires even existed.  I have no idea why they began shooting people.  In fact why are they even important now?  They've been talked about here and there through out the entire series but now, 5 episodes left, and all of a sudden they are the biggest threat to vampires?  WTH?

They are working for the Yokonomo corporation, which created Tru:Blood... So I could see Yokonomo (a?) being vampire based- since that would be a good reason they came up with a way to make lots of money off of vampires. The Yakuza that we've seen so far have all been human- the guy Eric ripped the face off as been aged from the 80s flashback.    Certainly it'd make sense if they had some vampires working with them as well... but I don't think we've seen any as of yet. But the person in charge of them could very well be vampire.

I don't think they're really a threat to vampires, they seem to have very specific targets- like Sarah Newlin. But coming across Eric and having Eric kill a bunch of the guys has bought Eric some new trouble.

I don't think they're really a threat to vampires, they seem to have very specific targets- like Sarah Newlin. But coming across Eric and having Eric kill a bunch of the guys has bought Eric some new trouble.

I don't think Eric cares much at this stage since he thinks he's going to die.

That jaw scene - ow. A lot of the violence on TB is very cartoony and none has really bothered me till now, but that made me wince.

Nelson Ellis continues to save every episode he’s in.  Calling Jess on her S*t and the other white citizens of Bon Temps, never think of his needs as a person and a man.

I didn't feel like Jessica needed to be called on her shit.  She was carrying guilt from eating three children, almost killing the fourth, and had been locked up in vamp camp with the rest of them (which might leave some kind of psychological scar).  And she followed up an emotional moment with Andy by seeing her boyfriend getting fucked in the ass.  

I know we're pressed for time because it's the final season, but I didn't think Jessica needed to be called out on anything in that moment.  Had it been a week or two later, maybe.  But we're talking minutes.  

And I think Lafayette should own his own behavior.  If you don't want to be the clown, don't act like one.

• Love 2
And I think Lafayette should own his own behavior.  If you don't want to be the clown, don't act like one.

That is where I struggle with the character. He can't act the sassy bitch 24/7 ( which I think he uses as a defence mechanism) and expect to be taken seriously at the same time. Vampires aside, he's his own worst enemy. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Would it have been wrong if Eric had glamoured Ginger into thinking that she no longer has any interest in him sexually? Or maybe he could glamour her into thinking they'd had sex but make her be content with it being a one time only thing. Obviously it was wrong for them to glamour her all of those times in the first place but as long as they're doing it maybe throw in one that works to her benefit?

ETA

Pootlus, did you miss the episode last season where a man had his entire package ripped away in one bloody motion? That sort of violence from Eric doesn't surprise me a bit.

Edited by Avaleigh
(edited)

I feel like I'm in opposite land tonight:

I fucking adore Ryan Kwanten (and Jason) and think he is hands down the most talented actor on the show.  Nelsan Ellis is right up there though.  And the lady that plays Lettie Mae.

I'm not a Sookie fan, but I liked that Sookie didn't have to hear people thinking horrible, horrible, nasty things about her at least once in her life.  This is a girl who could even hear how much her parents were afraid of her.  A little positive affirmation?  OK.

I am completely weirded out that so many people thought Lafayette was exclusively a bottom.  I can't say that I ever thought about it too much, but something about that concept just seems completely off to me.

And in the non-opposite land:

I am not mad at Lafayette, but going down that path with James while he was technically still with Jess was quite out of character for him.  And then the self righteous stuff?  Yeah, I dunno.  All truetell, but again, just not quite...right...

And meanwhile, over in random observations world:

I just realized that Ginger is a Renfield.  I feel like she'll be the one that saves the day with an Uzi in the last 10 minutes for some reason.

Violet is SO going to turn Jason so she can command him, forever.  I have always felt like she was a skeevy rapist, so...shit.  Not good.

James knew when he was on the swing with Laf, that his relationship was donezo.  So did Laf.  They just got their order of operations wrong with regards to Jess.

I think the Yakuza will find the cure and get back in business.

Edited by areca
  • Love 5

Would it have been wrong if Eric had glamoured Ginger into thinking that she no longer has any interest in him sexually? Or maybe he could glamour her into thinking they'd had sex but make her be content with it being a one time only thing. Obviously it was wrong for them to glamour her all of those times in the first place but as long as they're doing it maybe throw in one that works to her benefit?

Yeah, but vampires are assholes.

(edited)

I thought the Ginger bit was hilarious. Cruel, but considering the history she has with Eric and Pam. I almost would be disappointed if Eric would have obliged her and fucked her. 

But I hated many things about this Episode:

1. The Laf/Jessica/James story line. 

Considering this show is very Gay friendly, why do they have to push so many bad stereotypes about gay sex in their story line. What grown ass man would have sex in the car outside of a party when he has a place when the guy girlfriend is at the party.  I just thought sex scene didn't ring true in my book. 

I know Lafayette made many good point with his speech to Jessica. But did he forget that she is a freakin vampire, and an angry one at that. All I thought was why isnt she killing him. Or at least kick his ass. Why is she crying in the corner. 

Sara Newton scene: Sara has always been a dramatic and extra person. And I liked her dynamics with Steve (even after they divorced, he came out, and turned into vampire) . But they should have killed her with him last season. The Yakuza attack was silly and laughable. All I thought was how stupid just to come in gun-ablazing for Sara. If they knew she was there, why not just wait it out and grab her afterward privately. You would think A corporation such as Yakuza family would more discrete. 

I also hated the Bill flashback scenes. They just seemed out of place and boring,

Edited by Pres7775
  • Love 1
Yes but my problem with Lafeyette refusing to 'play that game' is that the writers made Lafeyette play that game.  This is essentially the writers admitting that they indulged in some shitty writing in seasons past, and I agree.  Lafeyette started out pretty interesting in the early years and then it seemed like they didn't know what to do with him anymore.  He went from a strong player to being the gay clown of Bon Temps, so it's a bit rich of the writers to hammer us over the head with his determination to not play that role when they made him the gay clown of Bon Temps.

Exactly.  They can't have Lafayette cheerfully play up a gay stereotype time after time and just now claim that it's been an issue.  I personally believe being treated like the gay clown would bother Lafayette, but there have been no scenes to imply that, because deep character development doesn't fit in with the soapy, campy nature of the show, and on those rare occasions it does happen, it usually goes to someone else like Sookie, Bill, or even Eric.  

Despite Lafayette being a fan favorite, they clearly don't know what to do with him.  There's been no real motivation for him to do anything since Jesus died; he's just been drifting in and out of plots aimlessly, saying a clever quip here and there, but nothing memorable.  It's a credit to Nelsan that he elevates the shitty material they give him.  There have been some plots that have added nothing to the show (the Ifrit, the crazy lady who was murdering shifters, werepanthers, so much of that vampires being trapped in the compound last season, etc) that they could have given Lafayette something to work with.  But no, they're content to keep him on the sidelines being "sassy" and ultimately do nothing.

• Love 7

he's just been drifting in and out of plots aimlessly, saying a clever quip here and there, but nothing memorable

He spent almost four episodes of this season sitting in his front room getting high. Well, ok, maybe three. But still. Three. Episodes. Three episodes devoted solely to get us to him fucking Jessica's boyfriend outside a party that she was at. Ignoring for a minute that I do not believe for a moment the character would do that, to top it off with a self-righteous "I deserve happiness too and your boyfriend cheating on you was your own fault btw" speech to the one person in the world who'll actually take that self-serving shit on board? It was terrible. Women are to blame for men cheating, didn't you know?

Between killing Tara off-screen, getting Sookie together with Alcide off-screen and then killing him off, siloing Eric in his own storyline, trying to retcon Bill into not being a manipulative asshole, inflicting the horror show that is Violet upon us, wasting so much valuable time in pointless flashbacks, dropping Bill and Sookie anvils on us all over the place and, now, doing this to Lafayette's character aka the only remaining black person on the show? This really will be the world's worst final season - even including Dexter. 

• Love 8