Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Lost Cause

Eric and Pam go to Dallas for a fund-raiser, but are also on the lookout for an elusive foe. Meanwhile, Sookie is a reluctant host for a mainstreaming party in Bon Temps; Andy carefully considers an important decision; and Bill recalls his human history.
  • Love 1

What an appropriate title that sums up this whole season.

Why in God's name do we need more Bill flashbacks for? His story is: he was turned on the way home from the Civil War, fought his Maker, got released, killed the bitch (I think) and moved the fuck on. He's even got a living direct descendant. What more can you milk outta that?

Just pair him with Mary Sookie already, show. We know it's coming anyway.

• Love 5

ugh more flashbacks! Why do the writers think we are so invested in Bill's human life? Didn't we already go thru this during season 1 with the family memories?

Some people, like me, are interested in Bill's human life and like his flashbacks.

They always add something to the current story and add more insight to a character's actions and motivations.

I know they can't all be video store Eric... But there are plenty of fans who are interested even if not all of them are. Like everything on True Blood, there will always be fans who care/ don't care about a particular character or storyline.

• Love 5

Some people, like me, are interested in Bill's human life and like his flashbacks.

They always add something to the current story and add more insight to a character's actions and motivations.

I know they can't all be video store Eric... But there are plenty of fans who are interested even if not all of them are. Like everything on True Blood, there will always be fans who care/ don't care about a particular character or storyline.

While I agree that flashbacks can add to a character's story, I think it's ridiculous that we're getting them in the final season. If they were going to show us things like Bill & his family getting their picture taken, there were 6 seasons before this they could have dropped that in. There are only 10 episodes in this final season, we're half way through already. They should be working on giving us solid story endings to everything, not wasting time showing us scenes from the past that were never part of the show.

• Love 12

I guess we can't really know until the season is over if those things- like the flashbacks are important to the overall story.

The Fangtasia flashbacks were important re: the tunnel, but also answered some questions as to how exactly Eric came to LA and Fangtasia.. The picture taking flashback was a fun call back to Bill in S1 saying "I remember the day we gathered to have this taken" along with showing us more about Bill caring about his family and the difficult task of saying goodbye ( which fine, I know some people don't care to see anything about Bill)... And it was fun to mention Fortenberry- a tie to the town and the past just before episodes where Mrs FB dies and we get a glimpse of Hoyt again.

I guess for me I'd rather spend the last season learning more about the characters we know, it's not like we're getting flashbacks to Kevin and Rosie's wedding or something...

Aside from hunting down Sarah Newlin and finding a cure, there isn't much else happening this season, so making things character driven and focused on the main characters makes sense to me.

They aren't going to please everybody with this final season, it would be impossible no matter what they did... But different fans are looking for different things, ya know?

• Love 1
(edited)

My main irritation with the heavy emphasis on Bill's flashback scenes is that I know it's part of an unearned clean-slate arc for him. And it just eats time from present-day scenes. At least the Pam/Eric/Ginger scenes gave comic relief and involved more than one present-day character.

Anyway, aside from being annoyed with that, I enjoyed almost every other bit of this episode, even the wacky sex hijinks. This show is always at its best when it doesn't separate its cast into three or four separate TV shows, as it's always been so fond of doing. Lots of fun moments tonight.

The only thing I was underwhelmed with was the Repub gala--they obviously ran out of time/money to do justice to a setup like that for Pam and Eric. And I hoped Sarah would get a well-deserved death. Not yet, I guess.

I guess for me I'd rather spend the last season learning more about the characters we know

I'd rather spend the last season on plot advancement in the present day so we can have something like a graceful wrap-up.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 8
(edited)

Well, I'm speechless.

Too much happened this episode; I've got whiplash. 

Pam's reaction to her outfit was classic her: "I'm a Republicunt."  Oh, I hope they don't killer her off.

Lettie Mae, I'm convinced, is going to be the Big Bad of this season.

And Jason continues to get more vampoontang. 

And party of me was hoping Sookie would break into singing Jim Steinman songs (specifically "It's all coming back to me now") when she put on Alcide's jacket.

Also, the actress who played Sarah Newlin's mom look familiar.  Was she on that episode of 30 Rock, where Liz goes to her class reunion?

Oh.  And Bill has Hep-V.  And a new strain, from the looks of it.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1
They aren't going to please everybody with this final season, it would be impossible no matter what they did... But different fans are looking for different things, ya know?

Which is why we've been blessed with DVR and the fast forward button.  Or the mute button, which is how I got through Bill's flashbacks.  I have a thing about too many cliche's, and the baby crying while they were trying to hide was a bit much from me.  I'm not sure why, but Bill's family in the underground railroad itself sort of set my teeth on edge. 

About flashbacks in general- I'm choosing to believe that getting Hep-V causes flashbacks.  So it's not just a plot device/time filler.

There was one line tonight I thought was really clever, but I forgot it with the ending.  I'm not sure if promos are spoilers but just in case: 

If Sarah Newlin can escape the Yakuza twice, seems like Pam and Eric should be able to as well. Or, y'know, at least one of them should.

• Love 6
(edited)

We had Reporter!Eric, we had VideoStore!Eric . . . now we have Cowboy!Eric. Holy crap, seeing him vamp as a country Republican was oddly awesome. May he survive Hep V and get a spinoff with Pam.

I gotta agree with whasserface, Sam's girlfriend . . . what is the deal with throwing a party for the dead? It just seems like bad manners, though I confess to being a Yank- . . . Northerner. And Bon Temps is such a screwed-up place, of course we're going to have two trysts and a stabbing. Hey, you gotta balance the heartfelt proposal somehow.

Speaking of the tryst . . . I don't get how "modern" this show can be and still have the "vampires need to be invited" jazz. Good thing vampires aren't real . . . I'd be tempted to invite and rescind at breakneck speeds. And I'd try locking the door first to see what would happen.

So . . .  no clue as to how Bill could've contracted Hep V? Maybe a side effect to being/possessing Lilith? That's all I can come up with.

ETA: Am I awful for laughing at Ginger's plight? The only parallel character I can come up with is Honey Huang from Doonesbury (re: willing slave without the sex).

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
What an appropriate title that sums up this whole season.

Jeez, no kidding.  There were maybe two or three genuine moments in the whole episode and a lot of ... whatever the opposite of 'touching' is.  Also, were they expecting Sarah to stay at the party forever, so no use in waiting till it was over?  I mean the Yakusa couldn't wait either but who knew they'd be stupid too (and start shooting up the place, which is triple-stupid).   And Sarah crashed the super-secure party too?   Gah - if I actually cared about this show anymore I'd be on my way to becoming an incoherent rage monster. Thankfully I don't care, and now I'm just watching to see how crappy the writing can get.

• Love 3

I feel there's something going on with Bill's name dropping of all the old Bon Temps families. Or maybe they just really want us to remember that Bill's been around a long time. Or maybe they don't have much story left so they keep adding backstory to people. I've never had a problem with them before, it's just that they seem so unnecessary, and don't really mesh with what we previously learned about the characters.

(edited)

I'm not crazy about the flashbacks either, regardless of whose past they're discussing.  I was more interested in seeing how Ginger was introduced than 80s Pam and Eric.  Bill's don't offer much either, but something I do like about his is that those flashbacks usually refer to an ancestor of someone from Bon Temps.  This week it was Jane Bodehouse's, and he was running a bar, of course.  Besides that, they can get rid of them.

James and Lafayette are great together, but I didn't like how Lafeyette acted like he was entitled to James because he's lonely and wants to settle down.  It's not like Jessica has been keeping him from being with someone and she had a right to be mad.  But it doesn't matter since she's already moved on to Jason.

And Arlene is moving on, too.  Terry's been gone six months, and already they have a new guy for her.  Keep forgetting that people can't stay single on this show.

Major props to Willa for calling Eric and Pam out on their bullshit.  They abandoned their progenies and I'm glad she said it.  And this explains why Willa was so eager to protect Lettie Mae and the Reverend; she felt she owed it to Tara.  Too bad Tara is gone and we can't see these two having awesome adventures.

Can the Yakuza kill off Sarah already?  This whole plot is keeping Eric and Pam away from Bon Temps and it's boring.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 8

I wondered last week why Bill would be so quick to feed off Sookie when she'd just been covered with Hep-V vampire goo. Maybe that's how he got infected, and the fairy version is different.

• Love 2
(edited)

Also, the actress who played Sarah Newlin's mom look familiar.  Was she on that episode of 30 Rock, where Liz goes to her class reunion?

I remember Bess Armstrong from playing Angela's mom on My So-Called Life back in the 90's.  She looks pretty much the same, even the same hair, only a bit older.

Yeah, I was on board with Nicole tonight too.  The party went beyond "celebrating life" to just being a big, fun party.  Too many people died just days before to be that giddy.  I did appreciate Sookie showing a bit more emotion over Alcide tonight and even threw a little Tara's way.  I miss seeing Alcide's fine, naked self on this show. 

Sara's sister was a hoot.  I liked how much Pam liked her.  I remember that actress Natalie Hall from All My Children a few years ago.  Glad to see her getting some work, she's a decent actress and pretty too.

The Bill flashbacks bored me a bit, but I guess they will likely lead to something.  Didn't see his HepV status coming.  Looks like it's agressive in his system too.  Wonder who will die first:  him or Eric?  Or will there be a miracle cure.

Just wish Sarah Newlin would go away or be killed off.  She is such an awful character.

Liked the turn of events with LaFayette, Jessica, Jason, and Violet.  Jessica and Jason probably need to end up together.  And yes, LaFayette deserves some happiness.  Violet...well, whatever.

Yay, congrats to Andy and Holly.  Wonder if Arlene's next man will be that vamp who saved her.  Hmmm...

Edited by LadyJaney
  • Love 1

So . . .  no clue as to how Bill could've contracted Hep V? Maybe a side effect to being/possessing Lilith? That's all I can come up with.

My guess is that when Sookie was covered in exploded Hep-V vamps, some if it got in her mouth or eyes before she got washed off.  Since then, Bill has fed on her, after mentioning that he hadn't fed in a while.

• Love 1

Lettie Mae is nucking futs. And just plain sad.

I have to admit, Andy's proposal brought a bit of a tear to my eye. I hope both he and Holly make it through to the final credits. Those two crazy kids should be happy.

I think Lafayette was a little too self-righteous with Jessica after getting caught with James. I don't really see why his defense was basically, "Don't I deserve some happiness, too???" when the problem is he's supposedly Jessica's friend and he was having sex with her boyfriend.

Nicole (why is she still here?) has a point about this party being a little too inappropriate considering everything that literally just happened. There's a line between the old "celebration of life" wake and having what's basically just a kegger.

Sarah Newlin is the most annoyingly useless villain ever. I can't love to hate her. She's not interesting enough even for that. What a vapid waste of space. That's not to say I won't look forward to her death. Please let it come next week. Seriously, why couldn't Eric just rip her head off right away as soon as he got his hands on her? Ugh. Stop letting her get away!

I'm sure these Bill flashbacks have a point, but they are generally not nearly interesting enough for me to care or be curious about what that might be. And now he has some super strain of Hep V? Of course he does.

• Love 9
(edited)

I have to say, I really enjoyed Sookie's drunken oh-so-pleased-with-herself stroll through her house, listening to everyone's positive thoughts about her.  What a douche.  I couldn't stop laughing.  OF COURSE that is what she wants to hear and believe about herself.  

Eric's outfit was everything.

Ginger, thank you for the screams.  I have a feeling it's the last time we'll see you this season...

I'm not a fan of Bill's flashbacks this season, either, because I feel like they're not relating to the current plot.  At all.

As mentioned, she was the mom from My So Called Life.  But I'm quoting this post because I love that episode of 30 Rock.  You're talking about the lady that Liz bullied right?  The one that dances in the most amazingly awesome way with the gay guy?

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 1
I think Lafayette was a little too self-righteous with Jessica after getting caught with James. I don't really see why his defense was basically, "Don't I deserve some happiness, too???" when the problem is he's supposedly Jessica's friend and he was having sex with her boyfriend.

THIS.  Him being lonely doesn't give him permission to fuck someone else's boyfriend.  

• Love 15

I was confused by the Bill flashbacks. I thought we had already seen him leave for the war (several times.) Did tonight's flashback happen before or after the last family photo? Had he already joined and then deserted? Or was he trying to not join in the first place?

For some reason it didn't seem to work with what we've already been shown.

• Love 1

As mentioned, she was the mom from My So Called Life.  But I'm quoting this post because I love that episode of 30 Rock.  You're talking about the lady that Liz bullied right?  The one that dances in the most amazingly awesome way with the gay guy?

That's the one!

THIS.  Him being lonely doesn't give him permission to fuck someone else's boyfriend.  

I agree, but then Jessica went and did the same thing to Violet so I didn't feel as badly for her.  And I don't even like Violet that much.

• Love 7
I agree, but then Jessica went and did the same thing to Violet so I didn't feel as badly for her.  And I don't even like Violet that much.

I wasn't cool with that either, but Lafayette's speech about basically being the gay clown of Bon Temps is completely unrelated to what happened between him and James.  That speech was a long time coming, but he directed it to the wrong person.  

• Love 16

You can't be a draft dodger fleeing the South on the Underground Railroad unless you're actually conscripted. Officers are not conscripted. Occasionally they'd resign because they felt they weren't being treated respectfully enough. Maybe it's just me but making Bill look good by having him run with the slaves is grotesque. 

And a nitpick, which is that James doesn't have to be either or. 

That said, the epitaphs and the proposal were touching. Also, nothing like flagrante delicto and a stabbing to prove it's a real party. 

I like Ryan Kwanten and Jason but nobody else does. Sookie likes Violet better than she likes Jason, despite (or because) she's prone to announcing her ownership. But impending jeopardy from jealous Violet doesn't have any weight. Jason has no friends so he's helpless. Everybody loves Jessica but Violet only has to avoid violence to Jessica and she's home free.  Also, logically Violet should simply turn Jason. Then again, logic and True Blood?

Bill's special snowflake strain of HepV will provide the magic cure for Eric and company, I think.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm so glad Ginger is still alive.

I don't what to say about Laf/James and Jessica/Jason other than I pretty much saw that coming when the season started. I think the intention all along is to end with Jessica/Jason but in order to do that they had to do something with James so I guess they figured well lets give him to Lafayette. That way everyone gets what somewhat of a happy ending. That said, I'm worried about what Violet is going to do now that Jason has cheated on her with Jessica. My red flag also went up when she volunteered to see Sam and Nicole "get home safe". Since when does she care about either of them.

Bill has Hep-V. So does Eric. That pretty much guarantees this show is going to end with them finding a cure. I don't see the writers killing off either one. 

That Willa scene was much needed. I was glad she called out Eric and Pam. She was absolutely right. I do worry about her making Eric release her. She has been one of the truly good vampires we have met in a long time. I don't want her to end up meeting the True Death. Lettie Mae is already gunning for her blood because she thinks it's going to bring Tara back to her. 

I didn't get the point of the Bill flashbacks until the end. I still don't care for them though but then again I haven't care for a lot of things I've seen on this show. I'm already 7 seasons in I might as well finish this thing. 

THANK YOU. I was really annoyed that they used the word gay as if to negate any previous attraction he clearly had for Jessica when it's pretty obvious to me they just should have said Bisexual. Orange is the New Black does that same annoying thing where everyone has to be either or when they've shown us on screen that a character clearly is attracted to both sexes. And it wouldn't be the first time this show has done that either. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 8

^^^First, it looks different. Second, the preview shows its acts different. Third, my mind says if you were a Hollywood writer trying to whip up some fake jeopardy in lieu of dramatic choice, a fatal disease with a last minute cure is the way to go. 

• Love 1
I mean the Yakusa couldn't wait either but who knew they'd be stupid too (and start shooting up the place, which is triple-stupid).

Especially in Texas. It was unrealistic to me that most of those people at the gala wouldn't be armed and able to shoot back.

Yeah, that proclamation coming from Jason was rich given that last episode he was having a scorching hot fantasy about himself and Eric. Is he in denial or is he further toward the middle of the sexuality spectrum than he even realizes?

• Love 4

THANK YOU. I was really annoyed that they used the word gay as if to negate any previous attraction he clearly had for Jessica when it's pretty obvious to me they just should have said Bisexual. Orange is the New Black does that same annoying thing where everyone has to be either or when they've shown us on screen that a character clearly is attracted to both sexes. And it wouldn't be the first time this show has done that either. 

That annoyed me too, but I figured it was just because Jason isn't very smart. I was also annoyed with Lafayette's self-righteous rant. I've always felt it was the height of selfishness to cheat on someone when you could just break up with the person and then do what you want. And for them to have sex right outside where she was, where she was just about sure to discover them, just was not cool at all. And all this was right after I was basking in my love for Lafayette when he was taking care of Sookie. Of course he quickly messed that up by forcing a party on her – at her own house, when what she clearly needed was time to grieve and process what had happened.

Especially in Texas. It was unrealistic to me that most of those people at the gala wouldn't be armed and able to shoot back.

There was so much about that part that was unrealistic, but I figure everything on this show is overly dramatic and exaggerated, so why not make Dallas a caricature of itself?

• Love 4
(edited)

Re Jason: If this show was in any way legit drama the question of whether Jason was also molested by great-uncle Bartlett would have come up. After all, his rabid heterosexuality was caused by molestation by a high school teacher. (Yes, weird, but it's in the show.) As is, all Jason's gay fantasies are chemically induced by vamp blood. And the writers confirmed this by writing Hoyt out of the show.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

My guess is that when Sookie was covered in exploded Hep-V vamps, some if it got in her mouth or eyes before she got washed off.  Since then, Bill has fed on her, after mentioning that he hadn't fed in a while.

Sookie also had that open wound on her arm... it's just spreading crazy fast... maybe because she's fairy??

I like Ryan Kwanten and Jason but nobody else does. Sookie likes Violet better than she likes Jason, despite (or because) she's prone to announcing her ownership. But impending jeopardy from jealous Violet doesn't have any weight. Jason has no friends so he's helpless. Everybody loves Jessica but Violet only has to avoid violence to Jessica and she's home free.  Also, logically Violet should simply turn Jason. Then again, logic and True Blood?

I don't think Sookie likes Violet, and if she does at all, it's not better than she likes Jason. I think people put up with violet because they have to... and I was super glad Jason finally realized how horrible Violet is. I wish he hadn't come to that resolution and immediately got it on with Jessica, but at least he figured it out, I guess? RK is great... and Jason is a fabulous character. Andy counts of Jason as a deputy, Sookie counts on her brother....

• Love 1

So, now, Bill has Hep-V too.  Yeah, unless this show really has the balls to kill off both Bill and Eric by the end of this, I'm thinking we're getting some kind of miracle cure, that will save at least one of them.  Besides that, I really, really hope they are going somewhere with these Bill flashbacks.  I just find them to be a bore, and my only hope is this will play some part in the big picture.  Who knows, with this show....

Pretty much all of the stuff involving James/Jessica/Lafayette/Jason/Violet, was just complete soap, and I didn't really care.  Yeah, James was wrong to cheat and Lafayette didn't deserve to act high and mighty.  Yeah, Jessica pretty much lost any high ground as soon as she slept with Jason.  Of course, I can't feel bad for Violent, considering how she even started the relationship with Jason.  I just don't care.  It's obvious that the show wants James/Lafayette and Jason/Jessica (with Violet at the scorn, violent vampire), so I'm not even going to bother how rushed it was.  I'll just sit back and admire the Jason/Jessica sex scene, and how they showed as much of Deborah Ann Woll's breasts as they could, without breaking the no nipple clause, I'm guessing she has.

Andy proposing to Holly was pretty good at least.  As him forgiving Jessica, in order to move on.  Man, is Chris Bauer just awesome. I hope he finds a real good gig after this.

Was it just me, or did Jackson and Jenny/Stacy Haiduk look different compared to last week's episode?  Jenny especially looked like she stop by a hair salon, on their way to Bon Temps.

Lettie Mae is just insane.  I really can't see it not ending with it being revealed she killed Tara, and will probably have to be put down. Poor Willa; she frees herself from Eric, and has to deal with this brand of crazy, now.

Nicole bores me, but I pretty much agree with her.  I understand the concept of not mourning someone's death, but celebrating their life (the whole Irish wake concept), but this party just felt like an excuse for everyone to dance and hook-up.  At least Maryann didn't magically return and start causing orgies again.

All the stuff with Eric and Pam just cracked me up.  The lines (Republicunt!), Eric rocking the cowboy hat, Pam rocking the dress, the Yakuza storming the Bush library and taking everyone out (the security in that place totally sucks!), and Sarah Newlin being Sarah Newlin.  I love Anna Camp.

Overall, better then the first few episodes, but a step down from last week.  Way too much going on.  And, again, Bill's back-story bores me.

I'd rather spend the last season on plot advancement in the present day so we can have something like a graceful wrap-up.

Everything you type I hear in the voice of Bianca Del Rio, and I couldn't agree more with the statement of yours that I quoted. 

• Love 3

I had to chuckle when Lafayette said that James is a good man and Jason replied "But he's a vampire", in a negative kind of connotation.  Yet Jason is dating a vampire and having sex with Jess...another vampire.  "But they are vampires, Jason!"

I don't think that James/Lafayette's cheating moment was necessarily right, since James was technically with Jess which makes it cheating.  Yet, I do get what Lafayette was trying to say.  Jess had been pushing James away for a long time and continued to at the party.  James haslet it be known to Lafayette that he and Jess are drifting further apart.  Jess never bothered to know about James the way Lafayette did.  They bonded, they shared blood.  Jess wasn't giving a shit about James or their relationship. So LaLa went for it.  Cheating is never right, but James and Jessica weren't really much of a couple at that point and LaLa knew it.  That's how I see that scene anyway.

• Love 10

Maybe it's just me but making Bill look good by having him run with the slaves is grotesque.

It's not just you. That ridiculous scene made me throw up a little in my mouth. As another poster mentioned up thread, it appears to me that Bill's flashbacks serve only to prop up an undeserved redemption arc.

Of course Bill was ahistorically a conscientious objector to the Civil War. Of course Bill was kind and respectful to the African American leading his family out of Bon Temps. Of course rich, white would-be-an officer Bill is the voice of reason amongst the other stereotypically racist southern townspeople. Barf.

• Love 24

I've always liked Sarah Newlin. Maybe I just enjoy Anna Camp, but I find the character funny.

Also, I think maybe the first scene from this episode was out of sequence, and moved from somewhere in the previous episode? Lafayette was talking like this was the first time he'd seen Sookie since Alcide died -- in fact, he says he came straight over as soon as he heard -- and that seems wrong. On the other hand, I don't remember exactly when Sookie had that ugly tee-shirt on, so it could be in proper sequence and just not make sense. That's entirely possible, too.

I wasn't cool with that either, but Lafayette's speech about basically being the gay clown of Bon Temps is completely unrelated to what happened between him and James.  That speech was a long time coming, but he directed it to the wrong person.  

THIS. True Blood often has these scenes where they try to say something that should be meaningful, but they mess up the context so much that it doesn't make sense anymore. Like, yeah, I agree that Lafayette should be a person with needs and feelings and not just a sassy black gay friend for the other characters but... he should also understand why Jessica would be upset in the two minutes after she finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her. Like, she's not holding James prisoner. He could break up with her, too.

You can't be a draft dodger fleeing the South on the Underground Railroad unless you're actually conscripted. Officers are not conscripted. Occasionally they'd resign because they felt they weren't being treated respectfully enough. Maybe it's just me but making Bill look good by having him run with the slaves is grotesque.

I did not know that about officers, but I found the whole set-up really weird and uncomfortable, too. Partly because it seemed like the show was unnecessarily -- and somewhat unrealistically -- trying to push the idea that Bill was a great guy for some reason. It's like they suddenly hate the idea that he fought for the south during the Civil War, so they're trying to impress upon us that he really, really didn't want to, and I don't know what purpose it can possibly serve at this point. (And, yes, the underground railroad-y scene was the strangest and worst).

• Love 4
(edited)
I wasn't cool with that either, but Lafayette's speech about basically being the gay clown of Bon Temps is completely unrelated to what happened between him and James.  That speech was a long time coming, but he directed it to the wrong person.

I read Lafeyette's speech as being something of a meta-moment, directed not so much at Jessica as at certain television shows, movies, and audiences.  Black people and gay people are still often portrayed as clowns or comic relief sidekicks, even on shows that should know better.  So it's refreshing to see Lafeyette, as a character who potentially combines both kinds of stereotypes refusing to play that game.  It's almost as though Lafeyette (and by extension the wonderful Nelsan Ellis) is giving us an end-of-the-series summation of why so many of us deeply love this character and performance.  He could have been just another clown or joke, but he's turned it into something a lot more.  Sure, it could have been directed at someone other than Jessica, but in this uneven season, I'll take what I can get.

I always imagined Lafayette as a bottom.

But, again, I like that they play against expectation-- it fits with what I'm talking about, above.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 3

It's not just you. That ridiculous scene made me throw up a little in my mouth. As another poster mentioned up thread, it appears to me that Bill's flashbacks serve only to prop up an undeserved redemption arc.

Of course Bill was ahistorically a conscientious objector to the Civil War. Of course Bill was kind and respectful to the African American leading his family out of Bon Temps. Of course rich, white would-be-an officer Bill is the voice of reason amongst the other stereotypically racist southern townspeople. Barf.

While I will fully concede that it was very heavy handed and unnecessary... especially to this extreme... they did imply way back in S1 that Bill wasn't exactly a full supporter of the war... but was instead doing what he had to do.   So it still fits with who Bill is supposed to be.... but it was very clunky and the same point could have been made with a much simpler flashback.

• Love 1

I have to admit when Violet came on, I didn't really like the character very much. But I thought about it and it's been well established that vampires are assholes, for the most part. And she's nearly as old as Eric. And really, after watching her a while as far as vampires go? She's one of the better ones; she's actually fairly nice, and she looks after Jason. And at first that bothered me, because Jason is a very masculine man that I happen to drool over and wouldn't mind being taken care of that way, sort of way. And I think that is what maybe bothers people about her. It's a role reversal, sure. But if any of the male vampires had treated Sookie that way people would SO bitch and complain. "Oh a guys got to take care of a woman." but humans are a lot more fragile than vampires. And for all the times vampires have claimed humans they aren't all that protective. They say "S/he is mine." and that's it. But she has on several occasions physically protected Jason. Because while it might be emasculating to him it's a fact that humans are a lot squishier than vampires. And with everything going on with the Hep V vamps, Jason is a really lucky human, in that regard.

All of this rambling is basically because I was surprised that she was so okay with Jason going up and talking to Jessica, when last week she was all up in Jessica's face for even coming into the house because Jason was hers and the history he and Jessica had. I actually felt bad for her when she heard them. I mean sure, when they first got together she didn't give Jason a choice, but like I said earlier vampires are assholes, especially to humans. But if you take gender, and the power imbalance between vampires and humans out of the equation, I'd say Violet is one of the better ones we've seen over all the seasons.

I...actually can sort of give Lafayette a pass here mostly. All he has is cheating asshole's word to go on about what's happening. Sure Lafayette and Jessica worked together, but I'm not sure how friendly they were. I'm not saying he's blameless, but I'm more annoyed that James went from "I'm a vampire, not a rapist." to whining about how is girlfriend doesn't cuddle him enough. And I find it really presumptuous for Lafayette to assume that Jessica wouldn't know those things because it seems like a personality switch in the character and seems off just to get Lafayette to hook up with someone. Yeah, vampire sexuality is more fluid than that of humans, but I feel a real disconnect that the James who would not sleep with Jessica for "science" wouldn't talk to HER about the problems he was having, OR wouldn't stopped it before he could talk to Jessica knowing she's a young vampire who still very much sees sex in the human way, not in the vampire way.

But then again, vampires are assholes.

• Love 7

I love Sarah Newlin.  She has this completely OTT, unshakable unwavering belief that she's right, everyone else is wrong, and if people disagree with or hate her they are mean. And wrong.

Her plaintive wail of "I'm a Buddhist!" was perfect, as was breezing into town and assuming she could bunk with the sister she hid from the world and tried to pretend was dead.

I don't like that Pam and Eric are separate from the others but Kristen and Alex are so awesome I don't care.  Pam's line about all the women looking alike made me crack up - there's a certain 'do and suit that women in politics tend to acquire that does make them look like clones.  Pastel suit? Check. Hair so stiff you don't need a crash helmet? Check.  And holy shit, "Republicunt!". Only Pam could say that with a sense of joy and fun.

Surprised they could use a real life person's name that baldly (Ted Cruz), wonder if he's a fan or whether he's frothing at the mouth right now.  From what I've read about him (Australian here) I can probably guess which one.

I came dangerously close to disliking Lala.  While his stuff about being the gay black comedy relief was spot on, coming just after being caught in flagrante delicto with James means he's not exactly claiming the moral high ground.  Mind you, does *anyone* on this show?

Chris Bauer rocks, that's all.  And I loved Holly's drunken "I jumped the gun!".  Hopefully those two crazy kids make it out alright.

Jason's advice to Adelyn and Holly's son was hilarious: "If you two are fucking, it needs to stop right now." Don't ever change, Jason.

I'm wondering if there aren't a couple of major misdirections going on.  Firstly I'm assuming (like many, I imagine) that Lettie Mae staked Tara, but there are a couple of problems with this.  With her emotions running that high wouldn't Sookie have heard something by now?  Suppose she's telling the truth and Tara is actually trying to communicate (Hep V cure?).

Secondly, I guess I'm supposed to assume that Violet is going to go all medaeival on Jason and Jess, but suppose she's just heartbroken and opts for the true death instead?

Was Alcide's Dad listening to Sookie and Arlene supposed to have a point?  Was it supposed to be a "Is he going to hear that Sookie didn't really love Alcide and get angry?" thing?  I'm actually glad they didn't go there because that would have been so stale.

No idea what's going on with Bill's Hep-V reveal, but I hope his flashbacks have a point because they are boring as fuck.

• Love 2
(edited)

Re: Sookie hearing if Lettie Mae killed Terra; It depends really. She said Terra died defending her - that doesn't really state guilt either way, but she might have also pushed it aside as defending herself, maybe staking the wrong vamp. Plus she's ad addict, so all she has on her mind right now is blood. I find it weird it's Wila's blood, not any vampire blood though.

I wondered about Jackson listening in too. I think the point was so he could overhear Arlene's story and put Alcide's jacket out for Sookie, as they had already gone through his things and removed them from the house.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Love 5

There was so much about that part that was unrealistic, but I figure everything on this show is overly dramatic and exaggerated, so why not make Dallas a caricature of itself?

Well, I guess realism is perhaps a silly expectation for a show about vampires, werewolves, fairies, and shapeshifters but that sitting ducks scene at the gala pretty much took me out of the episode. If the producers went to the trouble to be topical by including some product placement for Ted Cruz, IMO they should also have had some of the guests pulling their own weapons. Whatever, at this point it's starting to look like they're just running out the clock with an abundance of flashbacks and wish fulfillment.

Not as good as last week :-( I was hoping it was going to maintain that level for the rest of the season. I am over the Bill flashbacks, & don't see what purpose they serve. I think Lettie Mae really is hearing Tara, & when they finally figure it out, it will have something to do with the hep V cure.

I wondered about Jackson listening in too. I think the point was so he could overhear Arlene's story and put Alcide's jacket out for Sookie, as they had already gone through his things and removed them from the house.

Thank you for this. I had already forgotten about Jackson packing up all of Alcide's stuff.

Re: Jason & Jessica's tactless conversation about James's sexuality, it definitely struck a sour chord with me as well. That being said, I didn't find it particularly OOC for either of them. Jessica comes from a deeply religious household where "gay" was probably be the least hateful word she learned to describe homosexuality. And she is still so young a vampire that she hasn't settled into the sexual fluidity that is pervasive amongst the older vampires.

And Jason is... Jason. As presented on this show, Jason isn't the type of dude to be knowledgable about the wide array of sexualities that exist (be it bisexual, asexual, pansexual, etc.). To Jason I imagine any man who has sexual contact with another man is simply "gay".

I think (hope) that the show was trying to convey that their narrow mindedness was icky. Especially given Lala's speech which hammered home that there is nothing disgusting or wrong with a gay man wanting the same love and commitment that the rest of the Bon Temps heterosexual population want.

But that could be giving the show too much credit. And really, it wouldn't have been too hard to have Lala wrap up his speech with something like "and hey bitches, bisexuality is a thing, look it up you ignorant motherfuckers."

• Love 8

That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

(edited)

Re: Jason & Jessica's tactless conversation about James's sexuality, it definitely struck a sour chord with me as well. That being said, I didn't find it particularly OOC for either of them. Jessica comes from a deeply religious household where "gay" was probably be the least hateful word she learned to describe homosexuality. And she is still so young a vampire that she hasn't settled into the sexual fluidity that is pervasive amongst the older vampires.

I blame the writers more than anything for putting those specific words into Jason and Jessica's mouth of all people. Jessica especially has shown in the past that she has no problem with homosexuality/bisexuality. This is the same girl that was so excited about Tara hooking with Pam that she was encouraging it before either one of them wanted to admit it to themselves. I don't buy that she would be pissed that James slept with a man specifically and was possibly "gay". She would just be pissed he cheated on her period, especially with someone she considers a friend. The writers just seemed to want to make some broad statement to the audience about Lafayette's time on the show and how some parts of the viewing audience see him instead of being true to the characters with those scenes. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 6

Peeve: While Republicunt is a wonderfully awesome Pam line, it doesn't really feel in character for her; I fail to see how Sarah's mother was dressed was any different from how Pam willingly chose to dress herself when not wearing the all vampires always wear black in Fantangsia clothing.

I mean sure, she was said to wear twin-sets more in the books than she does on the show. But there is still the jacket dress she wore in the first season when they come by Bill's house to pick him up. When she's not "on duty" as a vampire, she has chosen to wear clothes like this. So while it was an awesome line, it feels like it was given to Pam because she's the snarky one anyway.

• Love 1

I was enjoying this episode until the Bill flashbacks. Rather,  I should say, I enjoyed this episode except for the Bill flashbacks.

I simply don't see how any of this adds to his character at this stage. We know who he is. We're not going to suddenly be team Bookie or Sill or whatever the fuck the ship name is because of his past. And frankly if the writers have to work this hard to redeem him to make him and Sookie end game then maybe, just maybe , they should have considered it wasn't a good idea.

Then again, considering the very last scene, maybe they're just trying to make us care that he dies. I hope so. That'd be better.

• Love 1
(edited)
So it's refreshing to see Lafeyette, as a character who potentially combines both kinds of stereotypes refusing to play that game.  It's almost as though Lafeyette (and by extension the wonderful Nelsan Ellis) is giving us an end-of-the-series summation of why so many of us deeply love this character and performance.

Yes but my problem with Lafeyette refusing to 'play that game' is that the writers made Lafeyette play that game.  This is essentially the writers admitting that they indulged in some shitty writing in seasons past, and I agree.  Lafeyette started out pretty interesting in the early years and then it seemed like they didn't know what to do with him anymore.  He went from a strong player to being the gay clown of Bon Temps, so it's a bit rich of the writers to hammer us over the head with his determination to not play that role when they made him the gay clown of Bon Temps.

And even though the character and the actor have deserved better for several seasons now, this doesn't make his cheating with James okay.  'I like him more than you do' and 'James's actually gay, so I'm a better fit for him anyway' - neither of these is justification for cheating with your friend's SO.  And I kinda felt like the writers wanted me to think so mostly because of the 'gay/straight' thing, which made me a bit queazy.  If having a gay or straight relationship is equally 'normal' you can't have it both ways, so either 'cheating is cheating' or 'being gay makes it okay'.  I'm of a mind that it's the former, and I think season 1 Lafeyette would agree with me.  Not sure what current Lafeyette thinks because they've gone and made him the gay clown of Bon Temps.  

ETA: What's up with the yakuza guys - are they vampires too?  The guy Eric killed looks exactly the same as he did in 1986.  And I'm just gonna skate past the question of why 1986 Eric couldn't do to the yakuza guys what 2014 (weakened) Eric had no problem with - tearing them apart before they could even blink.  Yeah, I know they had Pam hostage back then with a silver chain around her neck so they 'had the drop' on Eric, but that doesn't mean much when he can kill them faster than they can die.  More convenient premise-shifting, aka shitty writing.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 12