Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Arrivals and Departures

• Start Topic

So I guess Season 2 will see Cassie become a "human asset," and try to apprehend and/or absolve Megan, no doubt with help, somehow, from Miranda, and I don't know how I feel about that, though right now I would at least vote for no more of Sia's wailing to close out that season --

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I really enjoyed this.   Even more then I liked The Undoing.    This was alot of fun to watch.  I liked the beginning with Cassie and Miranda where Cassie started to spiral and Miranda handed her a beer to calm her down.  I thought that was pretty funny.  

I also kinda liked how all the other plots folded into the main plot.  Of course it was Cassie's prints on the bottle and of course Annie shows up with all the evidence to swing the FBI in another direction.  I thought these scenes with Annie and the female FBI agent were well done.   If anything the male FBI agent could have been better developed.  

I also really liked how Cassie got away from Buckley at the airport . For someone who has made alot of questionable decisions that was pretty smart.  Also pretty smart was hooking up with Rome guy and realizing she couldn't trust Miranda to come to her rescue so she needed to figure out how to defend herself.

The show mentioned I think in the pilot how flight attendants actually do make good spies because of the constant travel.  So Cassie being a "human asset" might be a fun story especially if her sobriety doesn't stick.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This was alot of fun to watch.

Agreed! Perfect length too; having only eight episodes made the story move along quickly.

7 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

So I guess Season 2 will see Cassie become a "human asset,"

Spoiler

She does become a "human asset" at the end of the book, so the show is probably using that as a jump-off point.

• Love 4
On 12/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, Corgi-ears said:

So I guess Season 2 will see Cassie become a "human asset," and try to apprehend and/or absolve Megan, no doubt with help, somehow, from Miranda, and I don't know how I feel about that, though right now I would at least vote for no more of Sia's wailing to close out that season --

What do you mean? I thought the song at the end is beautiful, I didn't even know it was a Sia song.

Miranda looked pretty dead to me in the bathtub, how did she survive that?

It is a little hard to hate the villain when you have a handsome guy play him...

Edited by showme
  • Love 4

Would a CIA agent really blow his cover to rescue his non-CIA coworker? Especially in a foreign country where he would have the local authorities to deal with? The fact that Shane and Cassie both had guns should have raised a lot of eyebrows in Italy.

15 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I really enjoyed this.   Even more then I liked The Undoing.    This was alot of fun to watch. 

I agree on all points. This show was definitely more entertaining for me to watch than The Undoing was. I liked the humor mixed with the murder plotline.

I'm sure we will see Miranda again (and maybe even Buckley who has a dog's name). I liked that she admitted being fond of and worried about Cassie. Their team up may have started as a way for Miranda to get the money Alex had hidden, but she ended up liking Cassie which was nice.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was creeped out when Cassie realized how often Buckley had been lurking in the background spying on her. I was disappointed that he survived being shot by Cassie but it seemed ludicrous that he then survived being shot by Shane.

Awww, I was sad when Annie said she'd probably have to break up with Max. Don't do it, Annie! Max is awesome!

I noticed when someone brushed past Cassie's coat in the diner but I was expecting her to find something far more nefarious in her pocket later. I loved Miranda's note.

Best throwaway line in this episode was the guy whining to his partner that someone at the lab asked if he had a lacrosse scholarship at Yale.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 12

Why can't we get a show that is just episodes of Michelle Gomez walking around being amazing; throat punching bad men and rescuing people and maybe one whole episode where she rescues kittens from bad guys. I would pay to watch that!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Why can't we get a show that is just episodes of Michelle Gomez walking around being amazing; throat punching bad men and rescuing people and maybe one whole episode where she rescues kittens from bad guys. I would pay to watch that!

I would definitely watch that show!

• Love 3

I really liked the show, which kept its tone on the "light caper" side for the most part when dealing with the main plot but added more serious moments when talking about Cassie's alcoholism.  I'm not sure that all of it stands up to close examination (why would Buckley kill Chavez?  And would he really goad Cassie into stealing the horse, thereby getting arrested?  For that matter, would he kill Alex without confirming that his book story was true first?  How could Miranda have left the bathtub without Shane noticing in such a small hotel room? Etc.)  But this isn't the kind of show where the plotting has to be airtight, and I was fine with just going with it.

I loved Miranda's character, who reminded me a lot of John Simm's character in The Catch, another baddie who would probably be awful to be around in real life but who is a lot of fun on screen.  I really miss The Catch, which took a while to find the right tone, but whose second season is a lot like this show.

I was thinking that the white, pale, and Yale FBI agent would end up being one of the bad guys, because, at times, he seemed to be sabotaging the investigation by being so focused on Cassie and not listening to his partner.  But, as it turns out, he's not a traitor, just a jerk.

9 hours ago, Vella said:

Rosie Perez is amazing and put so much into this, but this show did not deserve her.  Megan's part could have been cut completely and very little would have changed.

I also spent much of the last few episodes trying to understand how Megan could fit into all of this.  Her whole storyline was an unnecessary distraction.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Would a CIA agent really blow his cover to rescue his non-CIA coworker?

I think Shane had to intervene, because Cassie would have been killed otherwise.  Although he wasn't originally placed to help in the Cassie investigation, that may have become part of his assignment.

• Love 7

How did Megan not know what she was doing? All because she just wanted a little excitement. Now she's facing prison for espionage.

There's nothing like a good close fighting scene in an elevator.

Cassie's flight attendant buddy is CIA? Who just happened to bust in just in time to save her life? Talk about a deus ex machina.

Again, why would Megan not think her son's phone would likely be monitored? It's hard for me to buy that she's naive enough to do stuff like that but still be involved in spying for a foreign country.

Yeah, they definitely left things open for a possible second season. Megan's storyline can keep going and she can wrap Cassie into it, especially if Cassie becomes an asset for the CIA. Also, Miranda's still out there somewhere, unless Cassie hallucinated her. Annie may end up working directly a "problematic" client with international interests since that's sort of her expertise. And odds are good Cassie will fall off the wagon again and there's plenty of places to with that.

• Love 2

I don't know why Cassie invited that Italian Guy back to her place, I knew that wasn't going to end well.

2 hours ago, mikem said:
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Would a CIA agent really blow his cover to rescue his non-CIA coworker?

I think Shane had to intervene, because Cassie would have been killed otherwise.  Although he wasn't originally placed to help in the Cassie investigation, that may have become part of his assignment.

I am pretty sure that the FBI lady reached out to all intelligence agencies with assets in Rome near where Cassie would be, to protect her.

Megan's story didn't seem to jibe, Megan supplied her own flash drive, so I don't understand how she might have put malware onto her husband's company's computer. Something else must be going on, maybe the North Koreans had 2 people stealing the files from the company as a way to cover their real mole's tracks.

Cassie has a wonderful memory for someone who is drunk all the time. Imagine how much better it would be if she was sober.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, mikem said:

I was thinking that the white, pale, and Yale FBI agent would end up being one of the bad guys, because, at times, he seemed to be sabotaging the investigation by being so focused on Cassie and not listening to his partner.  But, as it turns out, he's not a traitor, just a jerk.

I know! I was prepared to think he knew about the murdered agent already and that he was in on the whole thing. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Overall, we looked forward to watching this show. Yeah, I think some of the plot points were a bit sloppy or pushed believability (Miranda making it to Italy with a bloody leg, fighting Buckley in the elevator and somehow resurrecting out of the bathtub; I know she's a badass, but come on!), but this show was done with a light hand so they could get away with it, imo. Yes, there were some serious issues, such as Cassie's drinking and her relationship with her father, but I felt like they kept a nice balance.

I knew Buckley was a creep not long after he first inserted himself into Cassie's life because he was far too pushy/needy. I did not see Shane as a CIA agent, however.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I am pretty sure that the FBI lady reached out to all intelligence agencies with assets in Rome near where Cassie would be, to protect her.

That was what I figured, although in real life I don't know that the various agencies are all that close. However, I could see the FBI alerting the embassy and things moving along from there, so I'll go along with Shane the CIA agent being the man on point.

I like Rosie Perez and I can relate to her feelings of being unseen (as most women of a certain age experience), so her story didn't bother me too much. I thought she was super naive, however. And her husband too - he would let her shop on his work laptop??? Yikes. They were kind of ripe for the picking. Anyway, it provides a starting point for the next season.

I'm in for the second season.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, showme said:

What do you mean? I thought the song at the end is beautiful, I didn't even know it was a Sia song.

Miranda looked pretty dead to me in the bathtub, how did she survive that?

It is a little hard to hate the villain when you have a handsome guy play him...

Yeah I missed how miranda survived until later thought for sure she was dead

A good series and would probably tune in for season two

My two complaints are I don't think it's a 'dark comedy' at all, there was very little comedy. Maybe the book is different.  I watch lots of dark comedies.  This isn't one. Second, seems hugely coincidental there is a north korean spy AND a huge money laundering scheme going on with that flight/group of people and they weren't at all related besides those two flight attendants coincidentally being involved separately.  I thought those two stories would be related but unless I missed something they never did.  Other than to have the cia agent just being there as a result at the right time for the OTHER huge illegal activity he didn't even know about. 

• Love 4

I loved Shane flying in to the rescue but exactly how long has Megan been involved in espionage? It seemed that Cassie has been working with him for years. Has he been CIA that whole time?

I'm bummed Buckley/Felix survived. Dude took some blows from Miranda and Enrico, Cassie stabbed him, and he was shot two times. He's like the Terminator. It was creepy how he's been stalking Cassie this whole time, but he is good at blending in. 

I'm thrilled Miranda survived and got the money. I hope she shows up again in season 2.

Max and Annie better not break up. I feel like they could open their own private investigation firm. He's the hacker and she's lawyer skirting the law. She even has FBI friends now!

I really enjoyed this show, even with its unevenness at times. I think the short season and frenetic pace really made it work. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 8

I was confused too about shane/ cia agent and how long he was working at the airline.  I too git the impression it had been years which doesn't really make sense. It's not like she is done super secret or complicated great spy or it would take long to catch her.  

I'm also still not really clear why buckley never killed her sooner.  Was he really enamored by her or was he trying to find out if she had the book with the stolen money codes?  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dhilde85 said:

This is sort of off topic, but does anyone know what Miranda gave her to drink in the beginning? She handed her a can of something.

Seems like a can of beer, German Eagle on the label, I can't make out the name.

1759426505_CassieDrunk.thumb.jpg.4033294c7c1feea3e86ffed6ced414ca.jpg

Two questions:

How/when did she first meet Buckley?  I had thought he came along at some point during the timespan we saw, but in the creepy stalking flashback, he was on the plane when she met 3C.

It doesn't appear that Megan ever did anything illegal in any capacity on any of the overseas trips, so why would they assign a CIA agent to keep an eye on her, and for such a long time, and then not have anyone assigned to her in her hometown where she actually did do stuff?  If they already knew what she was doing, why didn't they arrest her way earlier, or do something CIA-ish to catch her employer, if that's what the CIA was after?

1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

How/when did she first meet Buckley?  I had thought he came along at some point during the timespan we saw, but in the creepy stalking flashback, he was on the plane when she met 3C.

She went out drinking when she came back from Bangkok because she couldn't stand being alone in her apartment due to Dead Alex haunting her. Buckley just "happened" to be at the bar.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Two questions:

It doesn't appear that Megan ever did anything illegal in any capacity on any of the overseas trips, so why would they assign a CIA agent to keep an eye on her, and for such a long time, and then not have anyone assigned to her in her hometown where she actually did do stuff?  If they already knew what she was doing, why didn't they arrest her way earlier, or do something CIA-ish to catch her employer, if that's what the CIA was after?

Buckley was on the flight to Bangkok following Alex and couldn't help but notice Cassie since she was flirting with Alex and went on a date with him. After Buckley couldn't find the book he was looking for, he moved his focus to following Cassie and picked her up in a bar. Cassie saw Buckley all those different times and it just never registered.

Although I am totally pulling this out of my a**, maybe the CIA was following the 2 North Koreans guys that made contact with Megan, they were spies operating in America, if the CIA knew about Megan, they have to have known about the other 2 guys. Like I said earlier, I think Megan is the fall guy/patsy used to hide the crimes of someone else in her husband's company. That would make a good story for next season, finding and clearing Megan's name as well as stopping some corporate espionage. Cassie already has a great team with her lawyer, hacker, CIA, FBI, international assassin and her brother (whatever he does, did he say he was an accountant?).

• Love 2

I'm still wondering why Buckley was after Cassie after he retrieved the book.  Initially he was after her to get the book, because he thought she knew something.  Did he become obessessed with her?  After he retrieved the book and handed it over to Victor, he was done, right? He had completed his mission.  Well, except for taking Miranda out.  

We weren't shown him finding out that Miranda had killed Victor and retrieved the book, but I guess Buckley figured that out, but otherwise, I didn't know why he continued after Cassie, once he got the book back. I didn't understand why they needed to use Cassie as bait, when he had the codes, and had turned them over to Victor.  No one needed Cassie anymore. Did he still think she was part of some other organization?  Or was he just an obsessed psychopath?  Miranda was still at risk, because Victor was going to kill her, no matter what. But Cassie was out of it, at that point, or so I thought. 

Maybe I'm thinking too hard. I did like the show. 

5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm still wondering why Buckley was after Cassie after he retrieved the book.

I guess even professional hit man has desires and can fancy a woman. 🙂 Besides he is pretty good looking himself, and you got to admit, he is kind of fun.

5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm still wondering why Buckley was after Cassie after he retrieved the book.

Cassie knew too much at that point. Buckley knew about her and Max snooping around and copying data to a flash drive. She was a loose end that needed to be tied up.

45 minutes ago, showme said:

I guess even professional hit man has desires and can fancy a woman. 🙂 Besides he is pretty good looking himself, and you got to admit, he is kind of fun.

The Buckley persona he used to lure Cassie was fun. The actual person is a psychopath killer.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, showme said:

7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Cassie knew too much at that point. Buckley knew about her and Max snooping around and copying data to a flash drive. She was a loose end that needed to be tied up.

The Buckley persona he used to lure Cassie was fun. The actual person is a psychopath killer.

I guess she did know too much by then.  It just seemed that a professional hit man would have cut his losses and moved on.  Oh well.  I'm not a criminal mastermind or a psychopath (I hope) so maybe it's not something I can understand.  LOL. 

One thing that bothers me was, it seemed like Alex put the money in a number of bank accounts to hide it. (I think that is why Max found those pictures on the Lionfish servers, I might be wrong though.) Most of the people who had those accounts got killed, was that Buckley's doing? If so, Cassie and Miranda were also on that list. How could Cassie get on that list, Alex would have had to steal her ID while they were drinking or in the hotel room and he was way too drunk or busy to create a bank account for Cassie and transfer funds into it before he got killed. Did Alex really steal Cassie's ID, because the only person we saw who clearly had it was Buckley.

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I guess she did know too much by then.  It just seemed that a professional hit man would have cut his losses and moved on. 

From what I’ve seen in fiction, most professional hitmen don’t like to leave witnesses who’ve seen what they look like. And Cassie had seen a LOT of Buckley. We’re talking appendix scars here.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 12/19/2020 at 10:03 PM, LuvMyShows said:

I figure the CIA has someone on Megan and her husband at home. I'm wondering if they assume/know she was meeting someone on those trips. We didn't see much of Megan overseas so we don't know exactly what she was up to on her trips - we saw Cassie's stuff, which makes sense because it was mostly Cassie's story and the Megan story was peripheral. When they travel, they seem to all go out together for drinks and dinner; I imagine for Shane it's a good cover for watching Megan when they're on the ground overseas. He can keep an eye on who Megan comes in contact with, no matter how innocent it may seem (e.g. paying a bar tab, buying a pack of gum, etc) Shane is in a position to see potential contacts, including who, where, when.

I may be misremembering, but I thought Megan was supposed to be on that Rome flight for a reason (didn't she request it, and to have Cassie with her? Or am I confused?). Anyway, Shane working with Megan and watching her on these trips makes total sense to me; the CIA probably wants to know who she's dealing with and just how deep and wide that network is because Megan is a cog in the big machinery. They're kind of using Megan as much as the other guys are.

The Megan storyline actually sets up nicely for season two.

56 minutes ago, Maysie said:

I may be misremembering, but I thought Megan was supposed to be on that Rome flight for a reason (didn't she request it, and to have Cassie with her? Or am I confused?).

Megan said that she and Cassie are bid buddies, so they bid on the same routes. (Apparently there's a monthly bidding process and the more senior a flight attendant is the more likely they're to get the route they want.)

• Love 1

There was so much I enjoyed about this show and then there was the Megan factor, which I hated.  I never felt like the show devoted enough substantial time to her story or connected it to the main story in a substantial way. It just sort of limped along, parallel to Cassie's.  I kept waiting for the stories to intersect and for Megan to join the fray and it never happened.  Rosie Perez is amazing and put so much into this, but this show did not deserve her.  Megan's part could have been cut completely and very little would have changed.

I agree. I never really understood what was going on with Megan. I finally got that she envied Cassie's adventuresome life and that's why she got involved in corporate espionage because she thought it would be exciting. But they never spelled out what her husband did until the very end and even then it was something vague about government contracts. But during the whole series I kept expecting this to tie into Cassie's story, and it really didn't. It just didn't come to much so it was really kind of annoying that they kept cutting away from the A plot for such a flimsy B plot.

I suppose the whole point of it was to set up a scenario for a second season but that feels like a cheat. We spent too much time this season on something that didn't really affect this season.

I loved Shane flying in to the rescue but exactly how long has Megan been involved in espionage? It seemed that Cassie has been working with him for years. Has he been CIA that whole time?

I didn't follow the timeline on this either. Shane has apparently been working there for years but Megan only started getting involved in this around the time the series started. Yet he told Shane he was there specifically to tail Megan. Maybe he meant there on that particular flight but it seems like they have the same crew on every flight.

Overall I enjoyed this but I'm not sure how I felt about all those flashbacks to Cassie's childhood. I think they could have done with about 25% less of that. They really didn't do enough with her brother to put that much emphasis on that part of the story.

• Love 2

I thought the book version of this was a hot mess, but an engaging one.  The show just seemed like a hot mess, period.  I watched with someone who hadn't read the book, and he kept blaming me, lol!  There were certainly parts of this that I liked, but overall, I give it a thumbs down and won't be back for a second season.  Womp, womp.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I loved the scene where Buckley confronts Cassie in her hotel room and keeps switching back between his--genuine for the character, I assume--British accent and his perfect American accent. In fact, the actor is American, so his English accent was good enough to fake me out, but besides the back-and-forth accents being super-creepy, I thought it was a hilarious meta-comment on how British actors seem to be able to do perfect American accents when they appear on American shows. Tit for tat!

If this show wasn't a dark comedy, how come I laughed during every episode?

• Love 4
On 12/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, emma675 said:

I'm bummed Buckley/Felix survived. Dude took some blows from Miranda and Enrico, Cassie stabbed him, and he was shot two times. He's like the Terminator. It was creepy how he's been stalking Cassie this whole time, but he is good at blending in. 

I'm thrilled Miranda survived and got the money. I hope she shows up again in season 2.

Max and Annie better not break up. I feel like they could open their own private investigation firm. He's the hacker and she's lawyer skirting the law. She even has FBI friends now!

I really enjoyed this show, even with its unevenness at times. I think the short season and frenetic pace really made it work. 

And the "frenetic jazz!" per CC

I just binged this over the past two days and I absolutely loved it. It’s easily one of the ten best shows of last year for me.

It was billed a limited series so I didn’t expect them to set up a second season but they certainly did and I really hope they decide to do another. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I just binged this over the past two days and I absolutely loved it. It’s easily one of the ten best shows of last year for me.

It was billed a limited series so I didn’t expect them to set up a second season but they certainly did and I really hope they decide to do another. 

They did. HBO renewed it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just finished binge-watching the entire series over the course of three days. It was alright, overall. It would have felt like less of a drag if they had cut out what felt like an excessive amount of filler. They were too many flashbacks to Cassie's past, building up to a very anticlimactic reveal. I could also do without all the side-bickering with the no-longer-existent dead character in her psyche, which mostly served to provide exposition and make observations about what we had just witnessed on screen. "You just gave a bad answer!" "You just did something stupid!" "I just saw something related to you that I can't believe!" It was really exhausting and repetitive to keep seeing them back in that same room over and over again.

I also really wish they leaned into the actual jetsetting/flight attendant aspect of the plot more. At one point, it felt like there was a whole chunk of time where Cassie and her friends were just off-duty and not working at all. I'm open to seeing what the second season will be like, and I hope it improves on some of the shortcomings of the first.

• Love 5

Finished this here in Canada on CTV Drama, which aired the episodes once per week. A lot of fun, if my attention slips occasionally. Cuoco really was great with so much charisma and star power. She really turned me around to her as an actress. So engaging. 

I loved that while Kassie had plenty of suitors, the show does not end her with a man. The main relationships she mends are her brother, her best friend, and her two flight attendants.

With Annie unemployed, I hope she can somehow secure a job at the FBI. The short time she had with Kim, the chemistry was instant. 

• Love 5

I wasn't a fan of the Megan plot line, and agree with whoever earlier said it could be completely removed and you wouldn't really notice.  But I guess every show needs a "B" plot line, and this was it. 

Other than that, I loved this show.  Probably one of the most entertaining things I've seen since shutdown started in March, and I've watched a hellalotta tv in that time.  Yeah, there were some contrivances and conveniences, but Cuoco really amazed me in this role.  Really, the whole cast was great. 

I'd be in for a second season, but I'm guessing that's going to be quite a wait.  Cuoco was brilliant to buy the rights to a book that would let her travel all around the world for work.  And that's not happening for a while.  So unless they want to do a lot of green screen cgi stuff, or make it so Cassie is demoted to US flights, filming is not starting anytime soon.  Annie needs to go work for the FBI.  Actually, if she's disbarred for all of this season's antics, then nothing is preventing her from ratting on all her old mob clients. 

One thing I'm hoping someone can help me with...  I was certain there was going to be something that came out of the fact that Cassie had 2 passports in her drawer.  Both were current (not expired - neither was hole punched), had the same recent looking picture, and, if I remember right, she was on her way to the airport when Miranda broke in, so that meant she had a 3rd passport on her.  Miranda had a bit of a raised eyebrow when looking at them, and then mentioned them in a later episode.  So what was up with that?  I figured it would tie in with her every handy alter ego/alias of Alessandra Ricci, but nope, nada.  Does anyone have a theory here?

ETA:  Almost forgot... did anyone else notice the "knock three times" instruction for Enrico?  Perhaps a nod to Sheldon's knock on Big Bang Theory?

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 1
On 12/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I thought these scenes with Annie and the female FBI agent were well done. 

I loved how the female FBI agent told Annie to call her by her first name to signify that she had earned trust.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:46 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

...I was disappointed that [Bucley] survived being shot by Cassie but it seemed ludicrous that he then survived being shot by Shane.

Yes, it was so "ludicrous that [Buckley/Felix] then survived being shot by Shane [a CIA superhero!]" that when he smiled and waved from the stretcher being loaded onto the ambulance I figured it *had* to be another hallucination of Cassie's.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:46 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Best throwaway line in this episode was the guy whining to his partner that someone at the lab asked if he had a lacrosse scholarship at Yale.

Yes, which served to confirm that the dumb half of the FBI team really was dumb (he said he admitted to the lab tech that he had been admitted to Yale on a Lacrosse scholarship -- and I'm going to assume he never played Lacrosse, that it was one of those Pay to Play College Admission Scandal cases that didn't get found out).

On 12/18/2020 at 9:59 AM, mikem said:

why would Buckley kill Chavez?

Buckley killed Chavez because Chavez was tracking Cassie's movements and so would notice Buckley.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:44 AM, memememe76 said:

I loved that while Kassie had plenty of suitors, the show does not end her with a man. The main relationships she mends are her brother, her best friend, and her two flight attendants.

With Annie unemployed, I hope she can somehow secure a job at the FBI. The short time she had with Kim, the chemistry was instant. 

Yes, refreshing relationships ending. Someone on another thread mentioned that Kaley Cuoco wanted to do the series and so bought the rights to the book and made it happen. I wonder if the book already had a strong feminist vibe, or if the show mirrored the book in that respect. In fact, I wonder how great her influence was overall.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:51 PM, chaifan said:

Probably one of the most entertaining things I've seen since shutdown started in March, and I've watched a hellalotta tv in that time

Yes, there were a few other series and movies that I saw over the pandemic that were at least a tiny bit more well done, but this may have been the most "entertaining."

did anyone else notice the "knock three times" instruction for Enrico?  Perhaps a nod to Sheldon's knock on Big Bang Theory?

OMG, I totally missed that! Yes, for sure!

• Love 2

I binged my way through this show really fast, I enjoyed this a whole lot. It was exciting and while I don't know if I would qualify it as a comedy, it had a lot of darkly comedic antics and fun banter, especially everything involving the odd couple dynamic between Miranda and Cassie. I am glad to hear that this show will have a season two, I feel like there is still a lot of story to tell, especially if Cassie ends up becoming a CIA asset of some kind. I guess that bit way back at the start of the show about how flight attendants make good spies wasnt just foreshadowing Megan's midlife crisis treason, but Cassie picking up an espionage side hustle. 

I suspected pretty early on that Buckley was bad news pretty quickly, he was so persistent and was always encouraging Cassie's worst behavior and it did seem suspicious that she would meet this guy right now in the middle of everything, but I did NOT see Shane being a CIA agent coming at all. Just how many conspiracy's were happening on this airline?  

I am glad that Cassie didnt end up with anyone romantically and is instead is going to work on her relationships with her brother and Annie, but if she does ever end up wanting to get serious with someone, her Italian friend with benefits Enrico seems like a really stand up guy. Of course, as he has learned, getting involved with Cassie can be hazardous to your health. 

Its appropriate that the last episode was named after the Hitchcock double motif, because I found this show to have a very Hitchcockian kind of vibe. It has that "normal person ends up getting pulled into a crime/conspiracy that is much bigger than them" plot that he loved so much, and its starring a blond actress, who were Hitchcock's favorite actresses to cast.   

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

while I don't know if I would qualify it as a comedy, it had a lot of darkly comedic antics and fun banter, especially everything involving the odd couple dynamic between Miranda and Cassie

I thought the most comedic moments were between Cassie and Head Alex, but we might be the only two who saw comedy at all, heh.

• LOL 1
On 12/18/2020 at 12:09 AM, Vella said:

There was so much I enjoyed about this show and then there was the Megan factor, which I hated.  I never felt like the show devoted enough substantial time to her story or connected it to the main story in a substantial way. It just sort of limped along, parallel to Cassie's.  I kept waiting for the stories to intersect and for Megan to join the fray and it never happened.  Rosie Perez is amazing and put so much into this, but this show did not deserve her.  Megan's part could have been cut completely and very little would have changed...

...And I wanted to strangle Cassie when she just roped Enrico into her plot.  She deserves a beating from Nonna for that stupid and selfish choice.

I, too, kept expecting Megan's storyline to intersect with the rest of excitement. By the finale, it was obvious that it wasn't going to happen (at least not this season). Can't say that I was disappointed because Megan was an underdeveloped character that, IMO, absorbed precious screen time. Her motives were not well explored.

Moving on...yes, I was annoyed when Cassie convinced loyal, handsome Enrico into giving her a gun and coming back to the hotel with her. That had "bad idea" written all over it. Thank goodness he survived (somehow).

On 1/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, tennisgurl said:

I suspected pretty early on that Buckley was bad news pretty quickly, he was so persistent and was always encouraging Cassie's worst behavior and it did seem suspicious that she would meet this guy right now in the middle of everything, but I did NOT see Shane being a CIA agent coming at all. Just how many conspiracy's were happening on this airline?

I became suspicious of Buckley early on, too, mostly because he kept texting her at critical moments. Now we know that was stalking her the entire time.

Shane as CIA was a bit out of the blue but I love him so it was fine with me.

Thought that there were way too many scenes with Dead Daario but I won't complain about more of Michiel Huisman.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Thought that there were way too many scenes with Dead Daario but I won't complain about more of Michiel Huisman

Really? I loved the way Head/Dead Alex served to replace author omniscient from the text that describes in detail Cassie's thoughts and impressions. 
I haven't read the book, but on Amazon's LOOK INSIDE pages for the book, you get the idea of the style from the first pages.
I thought Dead Alex conversing with Cassie was especially appropriate given that she was habituated to always hiding her true thoughts and feelings from those around her, and also because she had psychological issues to work out. 

ETA: And yes, nothing to complain about Michael Huisman on the screen. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

One thing I'm hoping someone can help me with...  I was certain there was going to be something that came out of the fact that Cassie had 2 passports in her drawer.  Both were current (not expired - neither was hole punched), had the same recent looking picture, and, if I remember right, she was on her way to the airport when Miranda broke in, so that meant she had a 3rd passport on her.  Miranda had a bit of a raised eyebrow when looking at them, and then mentioned them in a later episode.  So what was up with that?  I figured it would tie in with her every handy alter ego/alias of Alessandra Ricci, but nope, nada.  Does anyone have a theory here?

There are two good reasons: 1) she has dual citizenship or 2) she has two because she would have difficulty in certain countries with stamps for other countries. I think 2) is most likely. For example, if you fly to Saudi Arabia and have a recent stamp from Israel, you isn’t be denied entry. See https://traveltips.usatoday.com/new-passport-traveling-israel-102567.html

• Love 1