Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: Fight the Power

• Start Topic

Bailey panics as she hears there has been a surge of COVID-19 cases, knowing she has loved ones in an assisted living facility. Meanwhile, Jackson and Richard team up against Catherine to teach her a lesson, and Teddy continues to try to mend her frayed relationships. After an intense surgery, Jo is uncertain about her future.

Promo:

Original air date: 12/10/20

I hate that they killed Bailey's mom (as a PSA on how nursing home residents were hit hard… that which we already knew because we're all CURRENTLY LIVING THROUGH THIS PANDEMIC NIGHTMARE). Chandra Wilson was exceptional tonight. Love me some Miranda Bailey.

I often marvel at the character assassination the show's done on Teddy these past few seasons. She should've never left Germany. 

• Love 20

I dozed off and missed the first 12 minutes, and then I barely paid attention to the rest.  I agree that Chandra Wilson was excellent, but it's getting really rough to watch. 

I miss the soap opera drama and don't want to see the real life drama anymore.  I didn't agree with the others in the beginning who said that, but I do now.  It's just too much.  I know COVID-19 is real, I know that it's devastating millions of people.  This documentary that they are doing is finally too much too soon.

But also - is Ellen Pompeo really one of the highest paid actresses on TV just to lie in a bed and take a walk on the beach in one or 2 scenes per episode?  I'm clearly in the wrong business...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

But also - is Ellen Pompeo really one of the highest paid actresses on TV just to lie in a bed and take a walk on the beach in one or 2 scenes per episode?  I'm clearly in the wrong business...

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. She’s had it pretty easy so far.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I dozed off and missed the first 12 minutes, and then I barely paid attention to the rest.  I agree that Chandra Wilson was excellent, but it's getting really rough to watch. 

I miss the soap opera drama and don't want to see the real life drama anymore.  I didn't agree with the others in the beginning who said that, but I do now.  It's just too much.  I know COVID-19 is real, I know that it's devastating millions of people.  This documentary that they are doing is finally too much too soon.

When Jackson and Richard were outside Meredith's room and Jackson started to speechify about pre-existing conditions and Existing While Black that was one of the first times in this show that took me out of the show because I noticed how that was more than likely Jesse Williams talking, not Jackson.

• Love 13

I don’t post here much on this show’s thread anymore because as someone who still likes the show, it’s not much fun. Episode to episode, it’s not as great as it once was. That I agree with.  
Tonight was powerful & extraordinary & among the top shelf episodes.  Bravo show, so many years in.  This season has also been very strong.  
Spent a decade or so with these “folks”, still staying until the end. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

When Jackson and Richard were outside Meredith's room and Jackson started to speechify about pre-existing conditions and Existing While Black that was one of the first times in this show that took me out of the show because I noticed how that was more than likely Jesse Williams talking, not Jackson.

I thought the exact same thing.  It's not a bad thing, but also one of the things that made this episode just a bit too real for me.

2 minutes ago, pennben said:

I don’t post here much on this show’s thread anymore because as someone who still likes the show, it’s not much fun. Episode to episode, it’s not as great as it once was. That I agree with.  
Tonight was powerful & extraordinary & among the top shelf episodes.  Bravo show, so many years in.  This season has also been very strong.  
Spent a decade or so with these “folks”, still staying until the end. 

I still like the show too, overall.  (I think I'm the only fan of Deluca, and Meredith and Deluca together, LOL.) I just didn't care much for tonight's episode because of the realness.  It had too much of a documentary or after-school-special feel for me right now.  I'm dealing with spiking cases and overwhelmed hospitals in my area, and a 70-something-year-old mother who thinks it's still fine to go to her weekly bowling league because "I have my own ball and we're careful."  Ugh!!  Emotionally I've been okay all these months, because I'm a natural introvert and don't care about staying home, but it's finally getting to me.  The general population's stupidity and cavalier response to a deadly virus is becoming overwhelming...  I guess all that is to say that I don't need to see it in my fictional TV shows, too - I want them to be an escape from reality.  I didn't realize that until tonight.   

I'm stressed and tired, so I'll rewatch it and see if it's better the second time around, and with the first 12 minutes.

• Love 8

I cried at the end and when Bailey was singing to her mom. That being said I have been pretty depressed lately and really need to see some entertainment, not the same thing I see in the news each day. I live in Chicago and everything is closed and yet are numbers keep increasing. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I cried at the end and when Bailey was singing to her mom. That being said I have been pretty depressed lately and really need to see some entertainment, not the same thing I see in the news each day. I live in Chicago and everything is closed and yet are numbers keep increasing. 

😞 this is depressing.  It’s going to be a rough holiday. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I cried at the end and when Bailey was singing to her mom. That being said I have been pretty depressed lately and really need to see some entertainment, not the same thing I see in the news each day.

I agree, it's been a tough fall/winter season for many, we all know exactly how bad the situation is, I need at least a little fun and positivity from my entertainment to balance out the grim reality, please and thank you. 

3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I noticed that too, it felt like a PSA. The conversation between Bailey and Maggie on the park bench also dealt with race but did so much more organically IMO. I loved the tidbits about Bailey winning a DAR scholarship and her mother sending the Wellesley graduation announcement to the guidance counselor who had suggested that Bailey would do better at a state school.

Oh, and of course Meredith not only ended up in the test group of the drug trial, but the drug is also working remarkably well for her. *eyeroll*

• Love 11

I lost my mom to Alzheimer’s in 2009 and have been losing my dad—currently in a care facility AKA superspreader locus—to dementia, likely Alzheimer’s, for the last four years at least. So this one was hard for me to watch. But maybe I needed a space to cry. Bailey has been the most emotionally authentic character on this show for me for some time and this episode did not disappoint in that regard. Teddy, on the other hand, can fuck right off.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I cried at the end and when Bailey was singing to her mom. That being said I have been pretty depressed lately and really need to see some entertainment, not the same thing I see in the news each day.

I agree, it's been a tough fall/winter season for many, we all know exactly how bad the situation is, I need at least a little fun and positivity from my entertainment to balance out the grim reality, please and thank you. 

Agree completely with both these posts, especially so close to the holidays which are going to be very depressing and different for many of us.  I might have to take a break and watch these at another time when I’m not feeling so emotional and sad about things.  Last night was really upsetting to me, and that’s not why I tune in to Thursday night dramas on ABC.

• Love 3

Last week, I thought that Tom would die in this episode, but apparently not, and look at that, he and Teddy are baaaaaaaaaaack. Oy vey! At this point, Owen might as well just say "Screw it," and be friends with them both. At some point, should the show continue, and should the pandemic recede, he can be paired with a new love interest and that can get messed up too.

My condolences to those of you who have lost loved ones during this crisis - it's beyond the pale what you have been through and it's simply wretched. I went through 10 years of dementia with my dad, and he finally died in his nursing home, but with family by his side. I can't even imagine going through something like that during our current situation...

I think at this point I am a little numb to watching a TV show that's a reflection/mirror image of what's happening in the real world. The reality is so, so bad that 48 minutes more of it presented by make-believe characters almost doesn't register on some levels. I do feel that if they'd filmed this season in a way that didn't show Covid, it would've felt weird to me. I mean, sometimes I see a commercial and think, "Hey, none of the people are wearing masks! WTH??" or "Yeah, no one is having huge family gatherings right now." But I get it - a show like this is totally mind candy most of the time, an escape to a world that in no way resembles our own. Seeing it suddenly mimic our own world is uncomfortable and weird and depressing and overwhelming at times. 

Call me bonkers, but I thought Schmidt looked half-decent with the beard he's sporting. He looks a little less childish.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, anna0852 said:

The more I think about it, the more I feel it's actually respectful of the show to do their best to show how awful this pandemic is and how much are health care workers are struggling. I feel like it would be disrespectful to not show the truth. Even though it's hard to watch. Grey's has always been loose with their medicine but it wouldn't be right to keep that up now. I respect them for taking the hard, painful, truth road.

I agree. As difficult as it may be to watch the current season while we're still living through the pandemic, it would have come off as incredibly tone deaf for the show to ignore the existence of COVID and just go on with the usual soap opera storylines and shenanigans. I know that this show isn't intended to be a documentary, but it's still a reflection of the lives of doctors and right now doctors are knee deep in the shit. They're exhausted and frustrated and dealing with endless numbers of COVID patients/deaths so I'm glad that they're getting a (fictional) voice.

However rough it's been for most people to deal with the effects of the pandemic, doctors and nurses are bearing the full brunt of it. Between potential exposure every time they go to work and watching patient after patient die, I don't know how they aren't all like Jo at the beginning of the episode. I understand that some people watch tv to escape reality but I think it would have been really disrespectful and unbelievable if the show had tried to create an alternate universe where COVID never existed.

• Love 16
9 hours ago, anna0852 said:

The more I think about it, the more I feel it's actually respectful of the show to do their best to show how awful this pandemic is and how much are health care workers are struggling. I feel like it would be disrespectful to not show the truth. Even though it's hard to watch. Grey's has always been loose with their medicine but it wouldn't be right to keep that up now. I respect them for taking the hard, painful, truth road.

It's tough to watch but at least they are dealing with reality. We have people out here in the real world who are pretending this isn't real but at least when I watch this show I see people as tired, angry, and scared as I am.

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, marceline said:

It's tough to watch but at least they are dealing with reality. We have people out here in the real world who are pretending this isn't real but at least when I watch this show I see people as tired, angry, and scared as I am.

I agree with everyone who has said this - it IS good that they are dealing with reality and not ignoring it.  I apologize that my initial reaction last night was so negative.  It's just all so... ugh.  I don't know how to describe my feelings.

I think my real issue is the bolded part.  Maybe a show like this can actually help the real world and help more people actually realize that there is a problem out here.  I'm just so sick of hearing the debates over wearing masks and social distancing and shutting down large gatherings.  I just want people to understand and be compassionate for their fellow neighbor.   

• Love 13
1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree with everyone who has said this - it IS good that they are dealing with reality and not ignoring it.  I apologize that my initial reaction last night was so negative.  It's just all so... ugh.  I don't know how to describe my feelings.

You don't have to apologize. It's tough to watch. It's painful. This episode really got to me because I have a mother who is in her 80s. She's healthy and living in her own home but I haven't hugged her since March. I understand wanting TV shows that offer an escape. For me that's The Mandalorian.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, marceline said:

You don't have to apologize. It's tough to watch. It's painful. This episode really got to me because I have a mother who is in her 80s. She's healthy and living in her own home but I haven't hugged her since March. I understand wanting TV shows that offer an escape. For me that's The Mandalorian.

Yes, I love The Mandalorian!!  I'm watching today's episode right now! 😉

One of my frustrations is that my mom is in her 70s, also healthy and living in her own home (she acts and looks like she's in her early-60s, not 70s), but she's more reckless than most people I know with this pandemic.  Why???? Stop it!  Stay home!!  🤣  She offers to go out shopping and bring me groceries when I express concern about the growing numbers of cases. No!! I will go and should go for her, but she doesn't let me...  Sorry, tangent rant.

Yes... Mando and Grogu... excellent cuteness escape. 🙂 

• Love 2

I stopped watching when Bailey's mom was brought into the hospital. There's nothing entertaining about watching a dramatic rendering of what is still actually taking place in hospitals across the country. Hard pass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Teddy is an odious creature.  I couldn't believe her sitting next to Koracik, holding his hand, and making it all about her.  I was hoping he'd tell her to go fuck herself.  

So Bailey, you aren't the only one who got a DAR award, lol.  I got one in high school for "good citizenship" or something (it was so long ago, I've forgotten).  However, I didn't get a scholarship, I just got a certificate.  I didn't even want it and I was hesitant to go to the ceremony at DAR Constitution Hall in DC, but my mom persuaded me to go and she went with me.   

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

What was the list of names they showed after the show?  Does anyone know?

The names of those who died of Covid. I actually preferred the way they handled it in The Good Doctor: the first two episodes were about Covid and on the third one the lead actor ( the amazing Freddie Highmore) announced they wanted to go back to a entertainment type show and would not be focusing on Covid. Honestly an entire season of having all of their patients die would be too much for me.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Madding crowd said:

The names of those who died of Covid. I actually preferred the way they handled it in The Good Doctor: the first two episodes were about Covid and on the third one the lead actor ( the amazing Freddie Highmore) announced they wanted to go back to a entertainment type show and would not be focusing on Covid. Honestly an entire season of having all of their patients die would be too much for me.

Plus, they could also now with the vaccines coming out and the fact they are part of the first responders, can start heading that way. Still have it around, but move forward to where it's not crazy (even though it still is right now, my nephew is a nurse). This however, was too real as I had a friend who lost a mother-in-law in the same way due to improper precautions at her assistant living and existing health issues. 

• Love 1

I don't like that they want to change Jo's specialty to OBGYN. Why? It's not surgical. Addison is double-board certified OBGYN specializing in maternal-fetal medicine aka a neonatal surgeon. That takes years of extra training, and there is no Nicole Herman to swoop in and train Jo on a 6 months crash course like they did Arizona. 

So why the switch? I get that Jo is looking for happy, but this feels like it's coming off as a tool to give Carina DeLuca more to do - because I think the actor's series regular bump on Station 19 includes her time moonlighting on Grey's, and since an OB probably doesn't have much to do on a firefighter show (I don't know, I don't watch it no matter how much tptb try to force it), they will throw her crumbs on overcrowded Grey's.  I just think this will end up stifling Jo. Why not Ortho, instead? There's a history with her and ortho, she was being trained under Callie - not that we saw much of it - but Jo seemed to enjoy it. 

And where is Hayes? He's been MIA for two episodes in a row. More of him, less of Schmidt. 

• Love 5

Bailey really moved me this episode with her mom's death.  I kept thinking, though, how "lucky" they both were that they could be together, since we can't visit our loved ones with COVID in the hospital, even if they are dying. 

I'm glad they are doing these episodes.  I'm sorry if viewers hate that it feels like a PSA, but there is so much misinformation and denial out there about this disease that I am grateful that the gravity of what is happening in our hospitals - and to families - is being portrayed.

• Love 17

I'm kind of digging Jo's decision to change specialties. I never thought general surgery was quite right and I felt like the show never DID choose a path for Jo for so many years. I remember that she only just became an attending a couple of seasons ago after being part of the show since the ninth season. And, even though becoming an OB isn't exactly something that fits with Jo, I can see how she's changed enough where it could be a viable option, especially with COVID changing the world. I just wish they had spent more time having Jo pick a specialty several seasons ago instead of shoving her where the plot needed a character before finally tossing her into general because they spent so much time not having her figure out her specialty.

Bailey's story with her mother DID make me tear up a few times. It IS grounded in reality and I felt like they've been handling it as well as they could. It's hard to watch at times and although the park bench scene went on a minute too long, I still think it was one of the best scenes of the episode. Plus, I really like Maggie this season. They have been handling her much better since her breakup with Jackson but this season has been phenomenal for her. And her stories to Bailey about her own mother were so good because it acknowledged something from seasons past while showing how it has changed Maggie. 

Bailey having to say goodbye to her mother was also hard to watch.

I feel bad for Tom, but my god, they need to give up on anything Teddy. At this point, I genuinely cannot stand her, nor can I stand her and Tom together. It makes them BOTH insufferable.  

Some of the other stuff was heavy handed, tbh. Jackson's part was a bit too heavy handed, as much as I understand how important it is for him to point that stuff out to the audience.

The ending with the names of COVID patients who have died was such a powerful way to end the episode. THAT is what I do think works very well because it makes it so real. 

• Love 12
13 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I still like the show too, overall.  (I think I'm the only fan of Deluca, and Meredith and Deluca together, LOL.) 

No! No you are not! I liked the character of Deluca from the beginning and I enjoyed/enjoy his relationship with Meredith. I love that Mere was/is having a fling with a cute younger man. Deluca made Mere smile and laugh and I love Ellen Pompeo's smile! 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I don't like that they want to change Jo's specialty to OBGYN. Why? It's not surgical. Addison is double-board certified OBGYN specializing in maternal-fetal medicine aka a neonatal surgeon. That takes years of extra training, and there is no Nicole Herman to swoop in and train Jo on a 6 months crash course like they did Arizona. 

Yeah, I was surprised at her changing to something not even surgical, since the show was always all about surgeons.

It also seems like a bad plan to change on a whim during a pandemic. Of course delivering a baby is the highlight of her last few months. But she was just complaining about not getting to perform surgeries anymore, so she clearly still likes it.  But I guess there was that storyline awhile back where she almost kidnapped the baby abandoned at the firehouse. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Oh, and of course Meredith not only ended up in the test group of the drug trial, but the drug is also working remarkably well for her. *eyeroll*

That's actually reflective of reality. The monoclonal antibody treatment is apparently very effective. The problem is that it's also very scarce. Some hospitals are rationing it. Others are using a lottery system so no patients get preferential treatment.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, marceline said:

That's actually reflective of reality. The monoclonal antibody treatment is apparently very effective. The problem is that it's also very scarce. Some hospitals are rationing it. Others are using a lottery system so no patients get preferential treatment.

Excellent point.  And even if it's being rationed, a hospital is going to give it to their Chief of General Surgery.  They will save one of their own.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, I was surprised at her changing to something not even surgical, since the show was always all about surgeons.

It also seems like a bad plan to change on a whim during a pandemic. Of course delivering a baby is the highlight of her last few months. But she was just complaining about not getting to perform surgeries anymore, so she clearly still likes it.  But I guess there was that storyline awhile back where she almost kidnapped the baby abandoned at the firehouse. 

That was my thought.  It's OB/GYN because now Jo is baby crazy.  I wouldn't put it past her to kidnap one at some point.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, funnygirl said:

So why the switch? I get that Jo is looking for happy, but this feels like it's coming off as a tool to give Carina DeLuca more to do - because I think the actor's series regular bump on Station 19 includes her time moonlighting on Grey's, and since an OB probably doesn't have much to do on a firefighter show (I don't know, I don't watch it no matter how much tptb try to force it), they will throw her crumbs on overcrowded Grey's.  I just think this will end up stifling Jo. Why not Ortho, instead? There's a history with her and ortho, she was being trained under Callie - not that we saw much of it - but Jo seemed to enjoy it. 

And where is Hayes? He's been MIA for two episodes in a row. More of him, less of Schmidt. 

I thought the 6 months crash course Arizona had was unrealistic anyway. I don't believe for a second that you can learn it that quickly and yeah...I honestly don't get why they try to push Jo into the OB/Gyn area. I'm not really up to date with all specialities, but is there even a fetal or neonatal surgeon? And I don't mean one of the caliber of Addy.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think my real issue is the bolded part.  Maybe a show like this can actually help the real world and help more people actually realize that there is a problem out here.  I'm just so sick of hearing the debates over wearing masks and social distancing and shutting down large gatherings.  I just want people to understand and be compassionate for their fellow neighbor.   

I feel the same way. I'm glad they aren't ignoring it, in favour of flirting and sex in on-call rooms (just with a new round of interns), and I'm also tired of the debates. 

I'm watching this right now, and it's hard for me, just because my mother seemed to go into full-on dementia of some kind, once she was admitted to the hospital. The last time I spoke to her on the phone, before I got to visit her (four years ago), was the last time that she seemed fully lucid. She wanted to come home, just days before we lost her. She told dad, "I don't want to die in the hospital" and he said, "You aren't going to die, don't be silly" (in a nice way).  I'm crying, too. All of this sucks. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Where is Hermann these days? She was still teaching after she went blind wasn't she? Plus she had a whole sexual history with Koracick. I don't know what Geena Davis is up to but it wouldn't be a bad twist. Also, disabled during COVID could make for an interesting story. Imagine already being blind then dealing with a virus that could cost you your sense of smell and taste. *shudders*

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I've been snarking on and hatewatching this show for years, but Bailey singing "My Girl" to calm her mother down, and her mother starting to sing with her, just got to me. 

This got to me because my mom loves that song, too.

• Love 4

I get it, Grey's.  I understand that this is a horrible disease that affects people of color disproportionately, but I want some entertainment, not a PSA.  And what really sucks is that they've done PSA type stuff so much better than this.  I rolled my eyes more times during this episode that ever when watching this show, and that includes ghost sex.

And yes, I have COVID fatigue.  I want to see less on TV because I'm living it.  We're all living it.  You as actors have a job to entertain.  Entertain us.

Edited by madmax
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Teddy is an odious creature.  I couldn't believe her sitting next to Koracik, holding his hand, and making it all about her.  I was hoping he'd tell her to go fuck herself.  

So Bailey, you aren't the only one who got a DAR award, lol.  I got one in high school for "good citizenship" or something (it was so long ago, I've forgotten).  However, I didn't get a scholarship, I just got a certificate.  I didn't even want it and I was hesitant to go to the ceremony at DAR Constitution Hall in DC, but my mom persuaded me to go and she went with me.   

Yes, it was so clear that she was making it about her. It really bothered me. I've never been a fan of her character (even in her first stint at the hospital), but that just made it so much worse. I do like that Tom said he *was* ignoring her. I hope he recovers and finds love in someone who is *not* her.

• Love 5
On 12/10/2020 at 10:55 PM, LisaM said:

I cried right along with Bailey. I lost my mother this summer - - and said goodbye via iPad and phone - - so this really hit home. 

Same here Lisa M. I lost my Mom in April (not COVID) and they allowed me to be in the room with her before she passed away. The scene when Bailey told her mom that it was okay to “let go” and they would be okay was literally the same thing I said to my Mom. I had no idea I would be triggered by this episode. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Jeopardy15 said:

Same here Lisa M. I lost my Mom in April (not COVID) and they allowed me to be in the room with her before she passed away. The scene when Bailey told her mom that it was okay to “let go” and they would be okay was literally the same thing I said to my Mom. I had no idea I would be triggered by this episode. 

My wife's mother is going into dementia herself and sadly I'm seeing the mother-in-law I have come to love and respect over the past decade starting to disappear. My wife was in tears during the seen, because that will most likely be her on the other side of the hospital bed with her mom. 

Edited by readster
side not wide.
5 hours ago, marceline said:

Where is Hermann these days? She was still teaching after she went blind wasn't she? Plus she had a whole sexual history with Koracick. I don't know what Geena Davis is up to but it wouldn't be a bad twist. Also, disabled during COVID could make for an interesting story. Imagine already being blind then dealing with a virus that could cost you your sense of smell and taste. *shudders*

Nicole Herman is busy running the Robbins-Herman Center for Women's Health in New York City with Arizona. She pitched the opportunity to Arizona in season 14. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2