Type keyword(s) to search

Naomi In The Media

Trini
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Didn't the network have a change in upper management? I can't remember the details but I vaguely remember hearing something to that effect, and speculation that it would change how they handle renewals.

The CW is in the middle of being sold, so yeah that's massively affecting how they're handling renewals. In previous years many of these shows would have been renewed and given final seasons (even if just a few episodes). And the one season shows they cancel tend to be non superhero dramedies like whatever show Lucy Hale was doing that year. 

Given that and the fact that being an Arrowverse/DC show  or from a "name" creator was no longer protecting a show I can't say I'm surprised this is cancelled but it is a shame even though it was a bit all over the place creatively speaking. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Didn't the network have a change in upper management? I can't remember the details but I vaguely remember hearing something to that effect, and speculation that it would change how they handle renewals.

Yeah, there's a lot of restructuring going on at WB right now.

Feature at Emmy Magazine: 'Ava DuVernay's Higher Standard'

excerpt about Naomi:

NAOMI
<...>

It was the look that hooked her. DuVernay wanted to work with DC Comics but didn't have a project in mind, until an early edition of a comic book came across her desk. The art for Naomi immediately captured her imagination. "This was a Black teenage girl who would eventually go on to possess the same powers as Superman," she explains. "I thought, Whoa, this is incredible, I've gotta get in on that."

She told book creators Bendis and Walker: "'I've been a Black teenage girl, so her story is going to look slightly different, but the core of her adventure will be the same.' They handed it over and trusted me, and I brought in Jill Blankenship," with whom she also wrote the pilot.

"When you meet Naomi, she doesn't have powers. She's discovering there's something about her," other than being a very smart kid who can skateboard like a boss. DuVernay was attracted to the underlying theme of a person tapping into a power they may not even know they possess.

She modeled Naomi after an unlikely film hero of her own: Ferris Bueller. "I always marveled at that character — he's a fully confident, fully formed white male archetype, and everybody loves him." She gave Naomi that confidence and admiration, "but she's got a secret — she can fly."

Good God. I don't think Ferris Bueller is a good model for Naomi. I think that's an utterly stupid idea. I also didn't see it in the execution, thankfully. But if that's the kind of thinking she had... and what she wanted to emulate? No wonder the show had problems.

(edited)

'Naomi Is the Hero Young Black Girls Need'

... It’s not that Black girls don’t exist in these worlds, but that they are largely relegated to supporting characters whose stories serve to further the development of a white and/or male lead—if they’re even given stories of their own. To be a Black girl in a superhero story is to be a sidekick, if that.

That changed with Naomi.

Naomi has the world on her shoulders, but not the world she lives in. Her world is solid, her life is happy. She’s challenged, supported, and she’s loved. She’s not forced to confront racism, sexism, or ageism directly, even if these things persist on the periphery. Her battles are not with the systemic inequities of our world, and she’s not tasked with changing folks’ minds or attitudes about them. Naomi is allowed to explore who she is, decide what’s important to her, and determine how she wants to inhabit the spaces she’s in.

She’s a Black girl who’s just allowed to be herself. And for Black girls, seeing someone who looks like them and who has the same interests, so wholly embraced for being themselves—even before they have powers!—is monumental.

It's also a pretty good summary of the season.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Naomi in the artwork for this year's Comic-Con bags:

... Jim Lee, Publisher and Chief Creative Officer of DC, has created two designs for this year’s must-have collectible swag holder, featuring more than 50 characters from across the DC Multiverse. ...

SDCC-2022-Bags-Jim-Lee_62b9e0bfa56b52.83018534.jpg

DVD and Blu-Ray of Season 1 coming August 23: https://www.warnerbros.com/news/press-releases/naomi-complete-series-on-disc-august-23

... Catch up on the latest DC drama created by Oscar® nominee/Emmy® winner Ava DuVernay when Naomi: The Complete Series arrives on Blu-ray™ and DVD August 23, 2022 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Featuring all 13 riveting episodes from the series along with never-before-seen special features, Naomi: The Complete Series is priced to own at $29.98 SRP for the DVD ($39.99 in Canada) and $39.99 SRP ($44.98 in Canada) for the Blu-ray, which includes a Digital Copy (US Only). The show is also available to own on Digital via purchase from all major digital retailers and is streaming on HBO Max.

BLU-RAY & DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Naomi: From Page to Screen
  • A Hero Will Rise: Kaci Walfall
  • The Adaptation of a Hero
  • Like 1