Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E04: You’ll Never Walk Alone

Bort
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, Daisy said:

I'm assuming because a big part of her hasn't gotten over Meredith's death (no matter how glib she is). and by going to Derek, it really means accepting death and leaving her kids.

That is kind of how I took it -- if she goes to Derek -- she is accepting death and there's no going back.

George is more the intermediate character -- I think he is there to help her see that she isn't ready to die. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, taanja said:

That is kind of how I took it -- if she goes to Derek -- she is accepting death and there's no going back.

George is more the intermediate character -- I think he is there to help her see that she isn't ready to die. 

ITA.  If she went to Derek, then she would be getting her happily ever after.  But her story isn't done yet.  

I'm curious to see if we'll get another guest star this week or if she turns the corner and gets better. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

ITA.  If she went to Derek, then she would be getting her happily ever after.  But her story isn't done yet.  

I'm curious to see if we'll get another guest star this week or if she turns the corner and gets better. 

I hope she gets better. I mean -- how many out of body/near death experiences can one character have?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, taanja said:

I hope she gets better. I mean -- how many out of body/near death experiences can one character have?

Mer would only die if it's the series finale, as it would be a fitting end. She should be fine as the promos said her lung function was improving. It's Tom that might wind up biting the dust.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

Mer would only die if it's the series finale, as it would be a fitting end. She should be fine as the promos said her lung function was improving. It's Tom that might wind up biting the dust.

Yeah. Too bad -- I like Tom. 

No matter what this show does --I will NEVER like Owen <<< I personally never forgave him for hate cheating on Christina) and Teddy (<<< a worthless waste of space). Period. No redemption 

• Love 4

The issue was that Owen, as an experienced doctor, should be educated enough to know the statistics of illnesses and diagnoses in non-white patients. He's been at the job for so long that he should know the statistics, but he's still privileged enough that he doesn't need to think about that. The story was supposed to be more about the implicit biases that white people have, especially in terms of medical illnesses. They have to be thinking of the common misdiagnoses that doctors make so it was supposed to be an eye opener for Owen. 

I call BS on this somewhat. Owen's been a doctor for a while, and I'm sure he's aware that certain ethnicities carry greater risk for certain GI illnesses such as ulcerative colitis. I know that if a patient comes in acting drunk, it could be due to uncontrolled diabetes, etc. Every doctor has got to do continuing education and keep up on this kind of knowledge (if perchance he forgot that he learned it in the first place). Sometimes I honestly have to suspend belief while watching this show and just pretend it's a soap opera set in a hospital. 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I call BS on this somewhat. Owen's been a doctor for a while, and I'm sure he's aware that certain ethnicities carry greater risk for certain GI illnesses such as ulcerative colitis. I know that if a patient comes in acting drunk, it could be due to uncontrolled diabetes, etc. Every doctor has got to do continuing education and keep up on this kind of knowledge (if perchance he forgot that he learned it in the first place). Sometimes I honestly have to suspend belief while watching this show and just pretend it's a soap opera set in a hospital. 

I find it unlikely that he shouldn't have taken this into account, but perhaps it was also supposed to be a side-effect of overworked medical professionals during the pandemic.  Quite honestly I appreciated the subtle way they introduced the discrimination subject matter without being heavy handed about it.

• Love 2

I think others have touched on it, but what hit me when I saw George is what the show has been missing: normalcy. George was a regular guy. Normal. Down-to-earth. He was the proverbial everyman, to me, and when the show lost him, they lost that perspective. I can't tell you how much I needed to see the guy who personified normalcy, in the middle of a COVID episode. Because nothing feels normal. But George was normal. And like Meredith saw George, even through a dream/hallucination, maybe that means we can get normalcy back someday.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I think others have touched on it, but what hit me when I saw George is what the show has been missing: normalcy. George was a regular guy. Normal. Down-to-earth. He was the proverbial everyman, to me, and when the show lost him, they lost that perspective. I can't tell you how much I needed to see the guy who personified normalcy, in the middle of a COVID episode. Because nothing feels normal. But George was normal. And like Meredith saw George, even through a dream/hallucination, maybe that means we can get normalcy back someday.

I agree with you. The normalcy is what I liked about him the most. When you watch Greys you get the feeling that every intern and surgeon/doctor is brilliant,world-famous and super smart. I loved characters like Alex and George because they had their edges and imperfections. 🙂

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Spritti12 said:

I agree with you. The normalcy is what I liked about him the most. When you watch Greys you get the feeling that every intern and surgeon/doctor is brilliant, world-famous and super smart. I loved characters like Alex and George because they had their edges and imperfections. 🙂

And smoking hot.  I mean, do surgeons really look like Patrick Dempsey, Eric Dane, and Sara Ramirez??  (Hint: no, they do not.)  I liked George because in addition to being a regular guy, he looked more like a regular guy, too. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And smoking hot.  I mean, do surgeons really look like Patrick Dempsey, Eric Dane, and Sara Ramirez??  (Hint: no, they do not.)  I liked George because in addition to being a regular guy, he looked more like a regular guy, too. 

Oh yeah,you are right. And don't get me started with Addison Montgomery. High Heels,skirts...she had the looks AND the brains with her zillion job titles. George,however,was the "everyday guy." He wasn't freaking good looking and it seems like he didn't really care. Many people hated that about him,because they thought he was boring. For me,it was the opposite. He was a breath of fresh air.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Sometimes I honestly have to suspend belief while watching this show and just pretend it's a soap opera set in a hospital. 

That's what it is, and has been since day one. It's literally just a workplace soap opera. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't remember George being ineffectual, no more than Alex, anyway. He was awkward with women, but a good doctor. 

Except that he botched his first surgery, was nicknamed "007" and then failed his intern exams...  He was a decent doctor, but not great.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Except that he botched his first surgery, was nicknamed "007" and then failed his intern exams...  He was a decent doctor, but not great.

This!!!

But that's what I liked about him and Alex...he failed one of his tests,too and wasn't some genius intern...I mean how many surgeons do we know from Greys who graduated at the top of their class at one point and became brilliant doctors right away? Amelia was no.1 at Harvard even though she used to be a "junky" and when she appeared on PP she was fired from her fellowship,but performed some "miracle surgery" right away, Cristina was at the top of her class even though she had a learning disabilty, Meredith overcomes everything and passes every test,because she is the titular character...oh and please don't forget about super genius Maggie Pierce and "Lexipedia"...

I liked George because he showed that even if you are in the best intern program you can still struggle...it's not wrong to mess up.

He was very down to earth,just like Alex. I always loved how bluntly honest he was as an intern. He never beat around the bush.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Alex wasn't any better, though. Not until he was allowed to be, after George got hit by a bus. George helped the owner of the bar, when that surgery threatened to take everything he had. I was going to go on, but this is the wrong thread for it. 

I do find them both more believable than those who get everything right (or almost everything, unless they need a new dramatic story line). I started watching from the beginning the other night, because I've been feeling low. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Alex wasn't any better, though. Not until he was allowed to be, after George got hit by a bus. George helped the owner of the bar, when that surgery threatened to take everything he had. I was going to go on, but this is the wrong thread for it. 

I do find them both more believable than those who get everything right (or almost everything, unless they need a new dramatic story line). I started watching from the beginning the other night, because I've been feeling low. 

Sure, I agree; I wasn't talking about Alex.  Alex froze in the elevator and couldn't do the procedure that George ended up doing. 😉  They both needed time to get confidence, whereas the others were cocky from the beginning.  I think that was the main difference.  Cristina was just arrogant from Day 1, and Meredith had the name to back her up.  George and Alex had to scrap for everything they got.

I've been rewatching from the beginning too.  I started season 9 last night.  

• Love 2

The polo neck on Jackson in that last scene with Jo was fugly.

I didn’t think that Owen was intentionally being racist - I didn’t think that the intern initially thought it either - I thought Nico twisted the story a bit and had her thinkin her feedback would be rejected so she was all guns blazing by the time he came back into the room.

Glad to see he learned from it though.

Linc really is an all rounder. Is there nothing this guy can’t do perfectly.

• Love 1