Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E10: Getting Down to the Nitty Gritty

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Each leg should start after they arrive in a new country/area.  Stagger the start times after disembarking from the plane and clearing customs.

Excellent idea. TV gods, please make it so.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I'm surprised that when there is a demonstration is going on, racers are pretty focused on how to attempt to replicate it.  This time, virtually NO ONE noticed that the mechanic was greasing up the machine before using it?  Wut?

I got the impression that every time a team arrived at the task, the guy was deliberately at the part where he was starting to fill the mold. Otherwise, there is no explanation for how everyone missed the same step.

• Love 4

I'll just sit quietly here at my Unpopular Opinion table. The NFL guys can't leave my screen soon enough, and I'm glad Aparna got the chance to vent instead of having to pretend to be nicey-nice as they've all been doing so far. Clearly the producers were fine with the venting too, or they would have shut it down and/or edited it out.

I'd also be perfectly fine with a Will & James win. I know plenty of Will-and-Jameses, and I've experienced plenty of genuine kindness and generosity from people whose peacock-like exterior make them seem entirely self-absorbed. So they get the benefit of the doubt from me in terms of character, and I think they're good racers. 

But I don't make big investments in the casts of edited reality shows. I've watched TAR for years, and I couldn't tell you anything about the contestants from past years, although I have some good memories of interesting places and even some of the sillier tasks.  As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you can be relatively sure is real on a reality show is the physical background, and TAR has the best.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
Just now, surreysmum said:

I'll just sit quietly here at my Unpopular Opinion table. The NFL guys can't leave my screen soon enough, and I'm glad Aparna got the chance to vent instead of having to pretend to be nicey-nice as they've all been doing so far. Clearly the producers were fine with the venting too, or they would have shut it down and/or edited it out.

I agree that what Aparna was doing was basically just venting her frustration, and didn't think it was that horrible AND I think it was fair play to try to rattle DeAngelo while he was trying (and failing) to complete the Roadblock. Yeah, it would be nice if everyone could let things slide off their backs like Kaylynn and Haley, but I think Aparna's frustration was understandable. In the heat of the moment, you're not going to be able to calmly and rationally analyze why you've been U-turned. Essentially, she (and Eswar) had just been told, via the U-turn, that everyone wanted them out (given the beard bros' "clearing the board" or whatever they called it). It might have been good strategy, they might have had no choice, whatever - those things aren't necessarily going to be at the top of your mind when you see your chances dwindling. And DeAngelo may have had the right attitude that "it's a race", but 1. it's easy to say that when you're on the giving end rather than the receiving end, and 2. he gloated about it in the post-leg interview, which kind of soured me on him. I've liked him in general, but he didn't come out smelling like roses in this whole thing, any more than Aparna did.

More than anything, though, I found that scene to be kind of amusing, with Aparna railing on her team's behalf, while Eswar quietly tries to complete the task; and DeAngelo counterarguing about race strategy even as he's screwing up repeatedly, while Gary seethes as calmly as anyone has ever seethed before.

I was expecting Gary and DeAngelo to pick the gardening task because you know Gary has a beautiful garden he tends to (it goes with his art!) I love Gary. Despite Aparna's railing against DeAngelo, he pointed out that Eswar was doing better than his own teammate, and explained to her what DeAngelo kept messing up on.

Edited by RunningMarket
correcting spelling on name
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

while Gary seethes as calmly as anyone has ever seethed before.

Love this line!

Anyway, came here to say that the alliance in this season, I believe, is more a matter of chance than anything. It just happened to be 5 (or at least 4) really good teams that got to that mine first. The fact that it lasted so long is also based on the fact that they are really good teams and usually arrived at the various challenges around the same time. The task that most people hated this race was the letter one, imagine if DeAngelo had no alliance team come right after him, would he have asked for help from a non-alliance team? How long would he have waited? I'm thinking he might have teamed with one of the sisters. Maybe? Look at E&A they were almost always behind the rest of the alliance so how much help did they actually receive? no one waited around to give her the answer. I think a lot of the 'helping each other' was just because they were usually at the same place at the same time. If the boyfriends were trailing everyone like the sisters (either team of sisters) they wouldn't have been in a position to take advantage of the alliance.

Under the spoiler I'm putting the 'alliance' that bothered me the most.

Spoiler

The season that the Globetrotters, Margie and Luke and Zev and Justin, 18, I think? people were just giving answers to the Globetrotters, not sure if the actually called it an alliance but they did seem to share info except it was mostly the Globetrotters taking without much giving. I think Margie gave them the answer to the flag challenge and Justin to the Spanish Steps.

• Useful 1

I was pleasantly surprised at everyone's ability to do the slide puzzle. Those usually trip someone up for a long time. Which is unfortunate because with about a half hour's practice and an internet tutorial you can learn how to master a slide puzzle. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Speaking of Hung...dive into the shallow end here but Hung and spandex are a heavenly match. Chee's a lucky guy (when she's not ball busting him)

Sorry, but that little butterface would do nothing for most men--and you know Chee will not hear the end of it if they lose.  

Edited by AuntieDiane6
Removed comment that another poster thought insulting.
1 hour ago, surreysmum said:

I'd also be perfectly fine with a Will & James win. I know plenty of Will-and-Jameses, and I've experienced plenty of genuine kindness and generosity from people whose peacock-like exterior make them seem entirely self-absorbed. So they get the benefit of the doubt from me in terms of character, and I think they're good racers. 

But I don't make big investments in the casts of edited reality shows. I've watched TAR for years, and I couldn't tell you anything about the contestants from past years, although I have some good memories of interesting places and even some of the sillier tasks.  As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you can be relatively sure is real on a reality show is the physical background, and TAR has the best.

I think the editors wanted to demonstrate the difference between Aparna's stating at the beginning of the episode that her team would have no problem using the U-turn...and her reaction to being U-turned.  It was all part of the game...until it happened to her team.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

I felt bad when Deangelo and Gary U -turned Aparna and Eswar, but I think they did it for the reason a U turn was placed in the game. However, when the bearded boys U -turned Deangelo and Gary,(knowing they were ahead of them already) they just did it out of meanness so that Aparna and Eswar wouldn't be able to U -turn any of their new and improved alliance. So, as I see it, they are the real villians here. (Was really hoping they would U turn the boyfriends!)

I think so much of this race has not been a race as the "alliance" just kept working to eliminate anyone not in the alliance. All five of the teams felt pretty protected up to this point. Now Aparna and Eswar realize they are not part of the final 3 alliance. I hope Deangelo and Gary aren;'t the next ones to find that out!

Not a fan of U turns as they are now done.

• Love 14
16 hours ago, Hera said:

I'm trying to figure out the NFL players' rationale for U-Turning the siblings.

It’s not that complicated they were the only team that they for sure knew that was behind them. Uturning a team when they are standing next to you isn’t really a thing. The bros decided that D/G were so close that they weren’t going to uturn them even if they got there first so D/G’s choice made sense in all ways.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

It should have been clear to the bearded bros when they arrived and no one was u-turned that everyone was behind them. They even said they would u-turn the siblings if they got to the mat before Gary and DeAngelo because it would make no sense to u-turn them at that moment with them so close behind. If they had gotten there first, then Gary and DeAngelo could u-turned one of the other teams. I would have liked to have seen that.

I agree that watching the demonstration must not have been as obvious or as simple as it seems to viewers. Every single team missed that step.

I don't think the producers left in the clips of the bickering at the roadblock because they agreed with Aparna. I think they were glad to finally have some conflict. I do think her anger was misplaced. I'm sure she understands it now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I was really stressed out about the slide puzzle.  The racers had to put each tile in themselves, and it would be really easy to put them in wrong.  Getting the gnome oriented correctly was easy, though I did see one racer put the body in sideways, but when they showed him completing the puzzle it was oriented correctly.  But the background and border tiles were the same design as the tiles they'd been working on, and get one of those in sideways, there's no solution to the puzzle at all.  We didn't get to see a lot of the sliding around, I do wonder if maybe the racers realized it could  just be a puzzle-puzzle if they sorted the pieces right from the beginning, and they lifted the pieces out and built the puzzle around the central gnome figure just like the world's easiest jigsaw.  We did see one racer sliding pieces around like a madman, but not a lot from the others.

I honestly cannot look at The Beards.  I really do not like beards at all, especially when they seem to be a hipster affectation.  But I have to admit I'd be rooting strongly for them except for their facial hair.  They practiced their greeting for the temple monks on the boat!  Not only was that hella respectful, but it was smart racing.  We didn't get to see if any of the teams had to repeat their greeting, but it did look like the head monk had a more genuine smile of welcome for The Beards than he had for the other teams, so maybe they came off as smoothly respectful?  So, I got over my middle school mean-girl prejudice of The Blondes, I guess I can get over my adult revulsion for their facial hair and root for them.

I do love how Gary and DeAngelo are turning the stereotype of dumb jock on its head.  Yeah, DeAngelo took a long, long time figuring out the critical step at the roadblock, but it highlighted his determination and work ethic and Gary's patience and equanimity. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

This feels unnecessarily cruel and derogatory to both women and gay men. I think Hung is smart, capable, and it seems like she and Chee have a strong relationship that is doing just fine in the rigors of the race. I also think the boyfriends seem quite happy in their relationship!

The boyfriends DO seem quite happy.  My comment seemed like something one of them would have said.  If you don't think so, I'll remove it. 

No slur on women--just on a nasty woman who is quick to blame Chee yet repeats her own mistakes OVER AND OVER.  Their relationship was NOT so strong--Hung even said that they had neglected their marriage and that's why they did this.  Chee seemed so unhappy in the beginning with her nagging.  She's ugly inside and it shows.

• Love 3

The Yield sequence worked out well for the Beard Bros., actually. If they got there first and they determined that they weren't going to U-Turn Gary and D'Angelo, they would then U-Turn Eswar and Aparna. When Gary & D'Angelo got there 2nd, they'd probably U-Turn one of the remaining teams which would hurt the Beard Bros. alliance. So getting there second ensured that no one in their alliance got U-Turned, and they were able to keep the "real" alliance a secret. Better than if they got their first.

4 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was really stressed out about the slide puzzle.  The racers had to put each tile in themselves, and it would be really easy to put them in wrong.  Getting the gnome oriented correctly was easy, though I did see one racer put the body in sideways, but when they showed him completing the puzzle it was oriented correctly.  But the background and border tiles were the same design as the tiles they'd been working on, and get one of those in sideways, there's no solution to the puzzle at all.  We didn't get to see a lot of the sliding around, I do wonder if maybe the racers realized it could  just be a puzzle-puzzle if they sorted the pieces right from the beginning, and they lifted the pieces out and built the puzzle around the central gnome figure just like the world's easiest jigsaw.  We did see one racer sliding pieces around like a madman, but not a lot from the others.

Maybe the tiles were constructed in a way that required the tiles be in the correct orientation, like grooves on the edges. No one had an issue constructing and completing the puzzle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Fukui San said:

If I were to be named TAR producer tomorrow, I would ban Yields, U-Turns, and anything else where teams delay other teams. it's just not as interesting as it'd be to see teams try to get ahead on their own. I'd spend my time figuring out how to rejigger the Fast Forward instead.

The Fast Forward is the kind of strategy that TAR should have - not these alliances.

The alliance has only continued strong because they have had amazing good luck.  No bad taxis, haven't lost anything.  This week the brothers finally had boat problems.  The blondes had crap happen to them week after week.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Fukui San said:

we've now finally, finally firmly established that software engineering has no applications beyond engineering software.

To be fair to them, I strongly suspect that repetition was something that came out of prompts while being interviewed and choices by editors.

I think producers decided that was their storyline and made it happen -- I don't think it ever came up in any of the candid shots, just the sit downs.

• Love 8

Aparna: see Kaylynn and Haley on how to react to being U-Turned/Yielded.

a petty and annoying pair of boyfriends mugging for the camera  and the whole alliance garbage.

I'm no fan of Will and James by any stretch of the imagination. But I would like to know why the gay couple is always accused of "mugging." This happened incessantly with Tyler and Korey too. Is it some kind of code? Does "mugging" really mean "acting effeminate"? Because while Will and James are certainly flamboyant gay men, I don't see them looking at the camera any more than any other team, so I can only conclude that the way they speak and act is referred to as "mugging" because it's less offensive than the alternative description. Nothing they do qualifies as the definition of "mugging" any more than anyone else.

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm no fan of Will and James by any stretch of the imagination. But I would like to know why the gay couple is always accused of "mugging." This happened incessantly with Tyler and Korey too. Is it some kind of code? Does "mugging" really mean "acting effeminate"? Because while Will and James are certainly flamboyant gay men, I don't see them looking at the camera any more than any other team, so I can only conclude that the way they speak and act is referred to as "mugging" because it's less offensive than the alternative description. Nothing they do qualifies as the definition of "mugging" any more than anyone else.

This. So much. I remember looking for instances of Tyler (he was called out individually a lot) 'mugging', didn't see any. Do not see Will or James 'mugging'. They get excited, yes, but no more than anyone else might.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

The alliance has only continued strong because they have had amazing good luck.  No bad taxis, haven't lost anything.  This week the brothers finally had boat problems.  The blondes had crap happen to them week after week.

I think one way to mix things up is to make choosing vehicles more of a challenge than pure luck. At least in some locations have more cabs/boats/rickshaws than teams and seed some lousy vehicles or bad drivers in the mix and force teams to do more evaluation than just grabbing the first one who says they know the way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They remind me a lot of the Afghanimals, who were definitely mugging, especially in the beginning. They are also a lot more performative than Tyler and Corey.

• Love 4

I think I see why I've disliked this alliance so much this season.

Lately I've been watching some TAR seasons from many years ago, and some of them do have alliances. But what I'm noticing is that those alliances were usually just between two teams, and they were much looser. More like one team calling out a hint to their favored team as they leave a roadblock, not three or four teams standing around waiting for another team so they can just flat out give them the answer to a roadblock question.

The older alliances were more about two teams giving each other a little help, whereas the Mine 5 was all about working together to deliberately eliminate the non-alliance teams. That comes off as cliquish, almost bullying, and contrary to the spirit of the race. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
5 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

The older alliances were more about two teams giving each other a little help, whereas the Mine 5 was all about working together to deliberately eliminate the non-alliance teams. That comes off as cliquish, almost bullying, and contrary to the spirit of the race. 

Like the twin hunt in Season 3?

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Like the twin hunt in Season 3?

I don't remember that one. But if you're saying that's contrary to my point, it could be. I'm not saying there are no exceptions to my perception of the older alliances versus this one, just that the current one seems more extreme to me.

6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

But I would like to know why the gay couple is always accused of "mugging." This happened incessantly with Tyler and Korey too.

1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

This. So much. I remember looking for instances of Tyler (he was called out individually a lot) 'mugging', didn't see any. Do not see Will or James 'mugging'. They get excited, yes, but no more than anyone else might.

Tyler sometimes played directly to the camera, so I could see how people would describe that as mugging, but I don't think it would ever be fair to describe anything Korey said or did that way. For the record, I didn't mind Tyler at all, and while I did think mugging was sometimes a fair description of his behavior, I don't think he did it as often as he was accused of doing it. BJ/Tyler of Season 9 were probably the worst team for mugging that I can remember, though I haven't seen all the seasons of TAR.

I don't see how the term would apply to Will or James, unless the definition of "mugging" is expanded to mean anyone who ever shows what they're thinking through their facial expressions. Will is particularly prone to this, and James has gotten teary twice: when they were on the Amazon and when their got to Cambodia. I don't get the sense that these things are put on for the camera—I think they're probably like that in their real lives as well; it's just that real life doesn't give them so many new/stressful things to react to (at least, one would hope).

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

46 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

The Yield sequence worked out well for the Beard Bros., actually. If they got there first and they determined that they weren't going to U-Turn Gary and D'Angelo, they would then U-Turn Eswar and Aparna. When Gary & D'Angelo got there 2nd, they'd probably U-Turn one of the remaining teams which would hurt the Beard Bros. alliance. So getting there second ensured that no one in their alliance got U-Turned, and they were able to keep the "real" alliance a secret. Better than if they got their first.

Maybe the tiles were constructed in a way that required the tiles be in the correct orientation, like grooves on the edges. No one had an issue constructing and completing the puzzle.

I thought it was interesting that the Brothers wanted to U Turn Gary and DeAngelo but figured if the goal was to get them out, then it wasn't effective since they were right there and could have U Turned someone else.  Which is true.  But I have a feeling that if they had indeed U Turned Gary and D, that Gary and D would have turned around and U Turned Eswar and Aparna, since they were perceived as the weakest team left.  And not Hung/Chee or Will/James.

I wish there would have been a comment from Gary and DeAngelo about how they realise that the other teams are no longer their friends.  They've been thinking they have been in this alliance all along... but last week, Gary seemed to pick up on the fact that he wasn't getting any help.  It wasn't clear to me if he recognised that the other three teams were still helping each other.  Just not him.   It is kind of too bad that they didn't carry this thought through, because if they had known this, perhaps they would have U Turned Will and James.  I think it is probably moot though because the Brothers then would have just U Turned Eswar and Aparna.

41 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

The Fast Forward is the kind of strategy that TAR should have - not these alliances.

Speaking of which, there were no Fast Forwards this season, that stinks.  I guess it's because of the desire to keep everyone bunched?  They could still have had a FF and then bunch them up to leave the country at the start of the next leg.

30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think they mug as much as Tyler and Korey.  I recall that Tyler would occasionally take the time to look directly at the camera and make expressions or say something.  But I do think that out of all the teams, Will and James are the ones that always seem so incredibly pleased with themselves and make the self-congratulatory remarks.  They make facial expression directly to the camera more than other teams.  Like when Will rolled his eyes after Leo said "and you U Turned us!"  Or when they talked about how they would once again have to be the bad guy and get their hands dirty, or something like that.

I thought Leo mugged a bit as well, he was always eagerly smug.  I would define mugging as thinking that you're incredibly witty or brilliant or strong and wanting to make sure that everyone at home knows it too.  The aforementioned Afghanimals were huge muggers, so were the Clowns from Season 4, and I'm sure there are other examples.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

This feels unnecessarily cruel and derogatory to both women and gay men. I think Hung is smart, capable, and it seems like she and Chee have a strong relationship that is doing just fine in the rigors of the race. I also think the boyfriends seem quite happy in their relationship!

The boyfriends DO seem quite happy.  My comment seemed like something one of them would have said.  If you don't think so, I'll remove it. 

No slur on women--just on a nasty woman who is quick to blame Chee yet repeats her own mistakes OVER AND OVER.  Their relationship was NOT so strong--Hung even said that they had neglected their marriage and that's why they did this.  Chee seemed so unhappy in the beginning with her nagging.  She's ugly inside and it shows.

I feel like a couple of incidents between Hung and Chee have been magnified beyond their original scope. Aside from her asking him to communicate during the watermelon challenge, and the whole "90 seconds" bit in the cab, I haven't seen a lot of conflict between them, nor anything that would mark Hung as "ugly inside". (And even if she was that unpleasant, transferring that into a comment on her physical appearance is a slur, in my opinion.)

In this very episode, as Chee was having issues with the Roadblock, Hung sat there calmly and supportively, calling out a genuine "I love you", and telling the camera that he was smart and she was confident that he would figure it out - which he did. She and Gary both impressed me with their chill in the face of their partners' troubles.

Are Hung and Chee the perfect couple? No, but they haven't ever claimed that they were. They've acknowledged that they have to work on things. I'd say she is definitely the more dominant one in the relationship, and they've certainly had their stressful moments, but that doesn't automatically mean she's some sort of shrewish harridan, nor that Chee is a miserable victim.

(Full disclosure: I know I commented unfavorably on his laughing while she screamed her way down the vertical wall descent a few episodes ago, but I still don't think they have the level of dysfunction that some are assigning to them.)

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

In this episode the blonde one leaned back in the tuk tuk and dramatically cried out "Hello Cambodia!"  That's mugging.  This team does it, the others do not.

They want to be perceived as the fabulously gay couple and that's how they are going to do it.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

In this episode the blonde one leaned back in the tuk tuk and dramatically cried out "Hello Cambodia!"  That's mugging.  This team does it, the others do not.

They want to be perceived as the fabulously gay couple and that's how they are going to do it.

This encapsulates my feelings about this and a lot of the reactions to gay men 'mugging'. He dramatically called out 'Hello Cambodia' because it was on his bucket list and he was there and he was excited AND he is a dramatic person. This is who he, and his partner, and Tyler, and Joey (of Joey and Meghan) are, they are fabulously gay and they aren't afraid to show it. To ask them to hold back their personalities because people find it irritating is wrong. I do believe that they all would have the same reactions whether or not they were on camera whereas I don't think the clowns or the hippies would and that is my definition of mugging. If it would be the same without the camera it is not mugging, it is just something that irritates some people. And yes that means I think Will and James would be self-congratulatory by themselves and roll their eyes and the rest of it on their own with no camera and no audience.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Aparna at the beginning of the episode: "From here on it's every team for themselves so we will feel no regret U-Turning anybody ahead."

Aparna after someone else dared to use the U-Turn on her: "[To De'angelo] Fuck you!" constant bitching and whining about karma

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

But I have a feeling that if they had indeed U Turned Gary and D, that Gary and D would have turned around and U Turned Eswar and Aparna, since they were perceived as the weakest team left

However, G&D were FIRST---they should have U turned the Beards. I think the rule should be that you must finish the Detour before you U turn someone (and that means, if you've been U turned, you can't U turn someone until you finish). Weren't E&A third? In which case, if the Beards had to finish the other half of the Detour before they could use a U turn, then E&A would be safe (and could U turn (oh, please God) the Boyfriends). 

25 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

This encapsulates my feelings about this and a lot of the reactions to gay men 'mugging'. He dramatically called out 'Hello Cambodia' because it was on his bucket list and he was there and he was excited AND he is a dramatic person. This is who he, and his partner, and Tyler, and Joey (of Joey and Meghan) are, they are fabulously gay and they aren't afraid to show it. To ask them to hold back their personalities because people find it irritating is wrong. I do believe that they all would have the same reactions whether or not they were on camera whereas I don't think the clowns or the hippies would and that is my definition of mugging. If it would be the same without the camera it is not mugging, it is just something that irritates some people. And yes that means I think Will and James would be self-congratulatory by themselves and roll their eyes and the rest of it on their own with no camera and no audience.

It sounds like you might be suggesting that Will and James are attracting dislike and criticism because they are gay and that's who they are and people don't like the presentation of who they are on camera, and that this is unfair because they shouldn't be afraid to be who they are?  If so, I get what you are saying, but that's not it for me at all.  I totally get that their personalities are showy and fabulous.  What pushes it into mugging territory for me is that seem very aware of this fact, and that they are doing what they can to showcase it.

To me it's the fact that when I see them, I feel like they are purposely trying to get that sound bite in, like many of the things they say, they say with the thought and hope that "oooooh this is going to sound great on TV, I hope they use this clip".  I can't shake the feeling that they are purposely showcasing themselves as this over the top fabulously gay couple who are enjoying the race and loving life because they are hoping they will get their own reality show after this season airs.

As I mentioned, I thought very similar thoughts about the Afghanimals, so I don't think Will and James being gay has anything to do with my dislike of them. 

18 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Aparna at the beginning of the episode: "From here on it's every team for themselves so we will feel no regret U-Turning anybody ahead."

Aparna after someone else dared to use the U-Turn on her: "[To De'angelo] Fuck you!" constant bitching and whining about karma

I wandered into Gary's twitter and he and DeAngelo have done some podcasts and interviews with some of the eliminated teams.  I think they have posted video chats with Frank/Jerry, the blonde sisters, and Leo and Alana.  I'm thinking there probably won't be one with Aparna and Eswar?  Wondering if Aparna has been able to let it go in the 18 months since they taped.  It seems like Leo has forgiven Will and James for the U Turn and completely understands why they did it, and said they get along great with them.

12 minutes ago, illdoc said:

However, G&D were FIRST---they should have U turned the Beards. I think the rule should be that you must finish the Detour before you U turn someone (and that means, if you've been U turned, you can't U turn someone until you finish). Weren't E&A third? In which case, if the Beards had to finish the other half of the Detour before they could use a U turn, then E&A would be safe (and could U turn (oh, please God) the Boyfriends). 

Hmmm... not sure if this is how it works.  I seem to clearly remember past instances of a Double U Turn and the team that gets U Turned first approaches and sees they got U Turned and then immediately uses the second slot to U Turn a trailing team, without having completed the other Detour task first. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

He dramatically called out 'Hello Cambodia' because it was on his bucket list and he was there and he was excited AND he is a dramatic person.

And because there was a camera conveniently poised to capture that 'spontaneous' moment. 

48 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I do believe that they all would have the same reactions whether or not they were on camera...

...and I believe the exact opposite.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I got the distinct impression that while technically part of the mine 5 all of the others didn’t view them as a part of the alliance so it wouldn’t have surprised me if G/D would have burned the uturn as well.

What a tense conclusion! I never cared for the NFL players, was really hoping to see them go, so it's the first time in a while that I felt really invested in a leg's conclusion. I still like Hung and Chee, rooting for them to win. They've been very consistent. I think the negativity towards them (Hung in particular) is overblown, the degree of conflict in their relationship so far has been relatively tame and healthy in my view.

I didn't mind the smack talk from the siblings, it was very down to the wire and feelings were still fresh. The drama and heightened sense of competitiveness was actually a nice change after a dull and long stalemate caused by the alliance. I don't enjoy watching nasty behavior, but I want my reality TV to provide entertainment and a feeling of high-stakes, role-models are less important.

Edited by Roccos Brother
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This is a very good point, and definitely worth considering, but remember that Team Cha-Cha from Season 2 is one of the most beloved TAR teams of all time - and my personal favorite!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I wouldn't consider what they do "mugging"  I just consider them to be extra about everything.  YMMV

28 minutes ago, Roccos Brother said:

This is a very good point, and definitely worth considering, but remember that Team Cha-Cha from Season 2 is one of the most beloved TAR teams of all time - and my personal favorite!

Yes!  Danny and Oswald are my number 1 team of all time. ❤️ 

• Love 3

I can’t stand Will & James. Their mugging if you will is more about their constant sound bites in front of the camera. Whether it’s in the game or their confessionals.It’s so obvious it’s all premeditated on what they are going to say (except for the actual recap about the task/race) as if they wrote it all down beforehand (for years).That said, they are running a great race. I think they only had one bad leg and might not have been any lower than 3rd place (I could be wrong on that). I don’t hate them for running the race well but I just can’t stand their constant mugging....I don’t know a better word.....it’s the only one I can think of. I’m pretty sure they’ll make the Final 3. Of course, this is just based (for me) on their edit and how well they’ve been doing. I liked the brothers to win because they’ve really run a consistent race. I also like Hung & Chee but they I don’t think they can over take Madison & Riley. They were a stronger team at the beginning but seemed to run out of gas midway through but still in the top 3 or so. There are only 2 more episodes left. I’m going to miss TAR because I think it’s doing to be awhile before it returns.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The chyron “former NFL stars” under Gary and De’Angelo amused me, because I thought Gary was an offensive lineman until one minute ago when I found out he was a tight end.  De’Angelo, yes.  Gary...mmm, I love him, but not so much.

The gnomes in life jackets completely tickled me.

52 minutes ago, kstar821 said:

I wouldn't consider what they do "mugging"  I just consider them to be extra about everything.  YMMV

Yes!  Danny and Oswald are my number 1 team of all time. ❤️ 

I loved Danny and Oswald.  I seem to recall they would look for 5 star hotels to ask the concierges for help.....

I guess I'd like the NFL to at least get into the final 3, though I wanted to pull my hair out when he didn't watch the demonstration after he messed up so many times.  without being sexist, I wonder if the women would have done better at it (aside from the fact they would have probably watched the whole demo)  they may have more experience with baking a cake....which requires greasing the pans.  

The beards annoy me as do Will and James because they are so intent on keeping an alliance of the strongest teams.  it doesn't seem like good strategy... 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

Each leg should start after they arrive in a new country/area.  Stagger the start times after disembarking from the plane and clearing customs.

8 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

They could change it so that you can't knowingly U-turn a team in front of you.

If TAR added a new rule every time a viewer saw something they didn't like, I think the show would become tedious to watch. I don't watch reality shows to see how closely people can follow arbitrary rules. I watch regular sports for that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

To me it's the fact that when I see them, I feel like they are purposely trying to get that sound bite in, like many of the things they say, they say with the thought and hope that "oooooh this is going to sound great on TV, I hope they use this clip". 

Unless you know them personally, you have know way of knowing whether or not the presence of cameras affects their behavior. 

Let me be clear - I don't care for Will and James either. I just think using the term "mugging" is a judgment call you can't make, at best, and code for "too much" at worst.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, kstar821 said:

100% agree that this was Gary's roadblock.  I also suspect he's secretly super smart. DeAngelo is just really really pretty.

My 11 year old started out rooting for Will and James but tonight she called them Regina George and Karen Smith.  She's not wrong - they are awful.

Here's hoping Gary and DeAngelo can survive next week.

Gary was so calm.   I guess it’s the team sport that helps them not get irritated with each other.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Unless you know them personally, you have know way of knowing whether or not the presence of cameras affects their behavior. 

Let me be clear - I don't care for Will and James either. I just think using the term "mugging" is a judgment call you can't make, at best, and code for "too much" at worst.

I'll respectfully disagree here.  It may come down to people's individual definitions of mugging.  My definition includes deliberately breaking the 4th wall - making a comment, facial expression, gesture, etc. towards the camera and for the camera.  I should add unsolicited and unprompted to that definition.   Will and James express and emote a lot, but sometimes they do "mug".  I noticed this in the first few legs, they'd deliberately turn to the camera to make an expression or comment.  To me, that's "mugging".  BJ & Tyler did that a lot.  Boston Rob did, too.  So at least by my definition, you don't have to know people at all to make a judgment call as to mugging for the camera - it's a specific behavior that can be observed.

Will & James also come across rather smug in many of their talking heads/mat chats.  Smug doesn't necessarily equal mugging, but mugging is almost always smug.  So I think a lot of people blur those lines with these two. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

I think I most dislike the fact that the boyfriends (who practiced various roadblocks before the race--smart!) is the fact that they obviously thought out the idea of an alliance long before the race began. Grab enough teams to work together from the very beginning of the race to get rid of those who aren't fortunate enough to join. (And has been mentioned before, it seems like it was luck that brought them together.) Use the alliance members to help you go forward in a pack and then, when it gets down to 5, pick off the two underdogs. I don't think they could have thought all that through while on the run. 

I have to give them credit, though, the alliance never fell apart until this week. Good strategy, bad TV and bad racing!

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

As far as mugging goes, I'd like to bring Team Fun in for arraignment....

While liked them (Team Fun) they were major muggers, too. They were always on. There are several teams who are always on for their confessionals. Tyler Oakley (I don’t think Korey as much) who was always on and who did annoy me. I don’t think it’s a gay (code???) thing as much as some feel the need to be always on for reality shows. It’s mostly in the confessionals. 

21 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

t’s taken me nearly all season, but I’ve finally put my finger on why I don’t like Will and James.  At the start, I was so glad to see that no reality show or YouTube “celebrities” were cast, but they seem to me as essentially filling that slot

In no way would I consider him a “celebrity,” but Will came in second on his season of America’s Next Top Model. I recognized him in this season’s first episode of TAR. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1