Type keyword(s) to search

Chummy: The Best One

• Start Topic

I have just discovered "Miranda" on amazon prime.  This is not usually my type of comedy, but I absolutely love this show and Miranda Hart.  This delightfully silly show has me chuckling and laughing so hard, all I can do is squeak, till I can catch my breath.  lol  

I find Miranda completely endearing, so once I finish this, it is going to be a complete rewatch of CTM, which  I have always adored.  I've rewatched some seasons before, but this is going to be a start to finish rewatch.  

While "Miranda" had me laughing so hard I was tearing up,   I am a puddle, every episode of CTM.  

I've always like Chummy, but I am looking forward to watching her after watching 'Miranda'.  I know she is an actress playing a different part, in each show.  But seeing her in a different role, and enjoying it so much, I just have a different appreciation for the actress.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, mishap said:

I have just discovered "Miranda" on amazon prime.  This is not usually my type of comedy, but I absolutely love this show and Miranda Hart.  This delightfully silly show has me chuckling and laughing so hard, all I can do is squeak, till I can catch my breath.  lol  

I find Miranda completely endearing, so once I finish this, it is going to be a complete rewatch of CTM, which  I have always adored.  I've rewatched some seasons before, but this is going to be a start to finish rewatch.  

While "Miranda" had me laughing so hard I was tearing up,   I am a puddle, every episode of CTM.  

I've always like Chummy, but I am looking forward to watching her after watching 'Miranda'.  I know she is an actress playing a different part, in each show.  But seeing her in a different role, and enjoying it so much, I just have a different appreciation for the actress.  

Just watched first one, had me laughing out loud. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2019 at 12:22 PM, mishap said:

Me, too!  Woke hubby up I was laughing so hard watching at night.  I'm rationing the last few episodes - wish there were more!   Loved Miranda in CTM, and like you, am rewatching them!!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SandyToes said:

Me, too!  Woke hubby up I was laughing so hard watching at night.  I'm rationing the last few episodes - wish there were more!   Loved Miranda in CTM, and like you, am rewatching them!!

My sister said it activated her asthma but it was worth it to laugh!

• Love 2

I know Miranda couldn't or didn't want to come back at this time but how did show deal with her leaving? I remember her husband was on alone for a while and now he seems to be gone and last show I can remember, he said she was doing a pottery class. I thought they would at least mention hearing from her or have her send a Xmas card or something. I feel the same with Jenny, just a mention once a year but maybe they just push forward. I like keeping the door open with hope that before show ends, they can have a reunion of sorts with them. ; )

IIRC, in Chummy’s last season she transferred to work at a home for unmarried mothers to be out in the country. 

I think it was intended that she’d be back if Miranda’s schedule permitted.

Her husband did make a few appearances after she’d left but the actor has left the show as well and I don’t think they mentioned him, he just wasn’t there anymore.  

• Love 1

I wish that Chummy's husband has stayed on the show.  Even after he left, I read that he still had hopes that they would return to visit at some point.  I'm done with her, but, I'd like to see him again.   I see that he's had a few roles on British tv. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wish that Chummy's husband has stayed on the show.  Even after he left, I read that he still had hopes that they would return to visit at some point.  I'm done with her, but, I'd like to see him again.   I see that he's had a few roles on British tv. 

It did seem a bit awkward to have him on after a while with no real mention of his wife. (maybe once) I understand Miranda not wanting to come back or being too busy but sometimes I think "For one show? You can't do one show? " 😉  I remember a show in the states that had an old member of ER just be on the phone, a quick shot of her in her kitchen, kid playing in background. Sometimes it's just nice to see an old friend of the show for a bit.

• Love 2

I blame the show's casting director for some of this.  Of course an actress is going to choose to give her time to the show where she is the title star than to the show where she is one of many -- so why set that situation up in the first place? 

I thought Chummy's story was charming and I thought her policeman and his endearing love for her was the very best, but I never really watch this show for the  sit-com elements. I like comedy but this is my drama.  I have the tissues at hand and am prepared to be moved to tears.  So I want to see if little Nurse Miller got better and follow ups on all the heart breaking babies and mothers. Miranda didn't choose us, so pffft.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, debraran said:

I remember a show in the states that had an old member of ER just be on the phone, a quick shot of her in her kitchen, kid playing in background. Sometimes it's just nice to see an old friend of the show for a bit.

I remember that.  It was a scene with Maura Tierney, after her character had left the show.  I just figured it was filmed before the actress left the series.  I don't recall that she came back specifically to film a cameo.

With Chummy, I very much agree that it wasn't handled well.  The character just kind of vanishes.  Her husband is there, but she isn't and there's no explanation for where she might be.  I get the actress was no longer available, but it would have been nice if they could have given her character some kind of good bye.   

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I remember that.  It was a scene with Maura Tierney, after her character had left the show.  I just figured it was filmed before the actress left the series.  I don't recall that she came back specifically to film a cameo.

With Chummy, I very much agree that it wasn't handled well.  The character just kind of vanishes.  Her husband is there, but she isn't and there's no explanation for where she might be.  I get the actress was no longer available, but it would have been nice if they could have given her character some kind of good bye.   

I thought that also or even a note or card. It was odd to just have her disappear. Even Cynthia can be s mention at dinner.  

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

And, in real life, Chummy became a missionary and moved overseas, to Africa, I think, with her husband and child.  It would've made more sense for the show to take the same approach and Chummy could've moved to Africa and then, if the actress was ever available, she could come for a visit.  We could've seen her sending letters occasionally to her old friends at Nonnatus or a brief mention of her could've been dropped into the episodes.

ER had plenty of characters return to continue their story.  Even more surprising than Maura Tierney, George Clooney returned for an episode when Julianna Margulies left so that the viewers could see Doug and Carol get the happy ending they'd been rooting for.  Then, both of them returned in the show's final year, just to update their story and tie their characters back into the newer cast.  When Maura Tierney filmed her last episode, Goran Visjnic, who'd played her husband on the show and had already left, did a cameo so she could leave with him.  At the time, he was filming a movie and couldn't get away for the regular workday; so TPTB arranged for him to film in the middle of the night, just to get a shot of him to finish her story.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

When CtM eventually reaches its final season (hopefully not for many more years), I could see some of the original actors returning for an update, just like ER did. In the meantime, it's not really surprising that they haven't been back, for any number of reasons-- too busy, don't want to continue be associated with that role (I don't really see that in this case, but who knows), the show runners haven't actually asked them to do an episode (whether due to budget, or because they'd rather keep the focus on the current characters), etc.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

And, in real life, Chummy became a missionary and moved overseas, to Africa, I think, with her husband and child.  It would've made more sense for the show to take the same approach and Chummy could've moved to Africa and then, if the actress was ever available, she could come for a visit.  We could've seen her sending letters occasionally to her old friends at Nonnatus or a brief mention of her could've been dropped into the episodes.

ER had plenty of characters return to continue their story.  Even more surprising than Maura Tierney, George Clooney returned for an episode when Julianna Margulies left so that the viewers could see Doug and Carol get the happy ending they'd been rooting for.  Then, both of them returned in the show's final year, just to update their story and tie their characters back into the newer cast.  When Maura Tierney filmed her last episode, Goran Visjnic, who'd played her husband on the show and had already left, did a cameo so she could leave with him.  At the time, he was filming a movie and couldn't get away for the regular workday; so TPTB arranged for him to film in the middle of the night, just to get a shot of him to finish her story.

I loved ER, at least the first 6 or 7 seasons. Such good scripts compared to shows like Chicago Med and others. I liked how they tied up loose ends, although they killed too many off toward the end for ratings boost.

I know sometimes you can't get people but many times, behind the scenes, it's money. This happens with more established stars. George Clooney didn't take any more even though he was a big star which was nice but I heard Juliana Margulies though, when they wanted her to return to the new show, The Good Fight after "The Good Wife" ended, just for a show or two, she said No unless she got paid way over what they wanted to give her. So they went on without her. Some stars want to get paid a lot for just a voice on the phone which is why a letter is a nice way to do it without all the fuss.

Miranda was supposed to be in a couple episodes of Season 6, but pulled out almost last-minute due to scheduling conflicts.  That's why season 6 was a little disjointed with Sister Ursula, there were rewrites after Miranda dropped out.

• Love 3
(edited)

I haven't bothered to see just how busy Miranda has been, but, her too busy, scheduling conflict excuses, sound bogus to me.  I did like her character, but, don't miss her now.  I suppose I took her leaving the role completely too personal.  lol  I'm done. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

Now that looks delightful!  Best part -- it should put Gwyneth Paltrow's nose out of joint to have one of her best  roles surpassed.

ETA: Read some reviews and it made me sorry I dissed Gwyneth . I know she did have the character's sweetness and good (if misguided) intentions down pat, while the reviews I read said this new Emma is sullen and a bit nasty.  It also said that this Emma and Mr Knightly shout over each other instead of having subtle, well-mannered Austen-style arguments.  Sigh.  I guess I'll have to miss out on Chummy's Miss Bates.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 1