Type keyword(s) to search

Chummy: The Best One

• Start Topic

I didn't take to her at first- something about her manner put me off a touch, although I realize that was sort of the aim for her introduction- but apart maybe from Shelagh, she's had the most 'I Want to Hug You' moments. Like when she told off her mum? I wanted to hug her. And then stick my tongue out at her stupid mum. And then hug her again. :)

• Love 1

I'm still early in this series — have made it up through the Christmas special, about to dive into Series 2. I was rewatching some Series 1 eps with my sister (introducing her to the show) and I love Chummy more than ever. The breech birth — really just incredible. And the bit at the end "Jack became her loyal protector" — well, I just boohoo

• Love 5

Not going to lie, I only started watching CTM because of Miranda. I adore her sitcom (I'm unhealthily obsessed with it) and I am glad that she's getting some exposure here in North America as a result.

Chummy is my favourite, probably a close tie with Trixie. I love how she's changed over three seasons, becoming more confident in her own skin and her abilities. She's a wonderful midwife and a great mother, and seeing her face light up when she has those victories makes my heart melt.

• Love 4

Miranda Hart reminds me of Penelope Keith, and Chummy reminds me of some characters Dame Penelope has played in the past. I'm not sure if people from the UK would consider this a good thing, but I do.

• Love 2

From season 1, episode 2:

Sister Evangelina: Ah, Camilla Fortescue-Cholmeley-Browne?
Chummy Browne: I generally answer to "Chummy". My pa used to say "Long dogs need short names."

• Love 5

Miranda Hart reminds me of Penelope Keith, and Chummy reminds me of some characters Dame Penelope has played in the past. I'm not sure if people from the UK would consider this a good thing, but I do.

I don't know Miranda Hart outside of CtM but Chummy is too warm and a bit too klutzy for me to see the Penelope Keith comparison, though I love them both.

I can't put my finger on why, but Chummy does remind me of some of Keith's characters. I hate to say "she just does" without giving a reason, but I can't come up with a reason I can put my finger on. Sorry!

Chummy's last name was something like Chomondeley-Brown or something and she said everyone called her Chummy.

From season 1, episode 2:

Sister Evangelina: Ah, Camilla Fortescue-Cholmeley-Browne?

Chummy Browne: I generally answer to "Chummy". My pa used to say "Long dogs need short names."

Wikipedia says her name is Camilla "Chummy" Browne (née Camilla Fortescue-Cholmondeley-Browne), later Camilla "Chummy" Noakes. And we all know Wikipedia is never wrong  ;)

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did you see that Chummy was in attendance when Kate Middleton was in labor?

Well, sort of.....

YouTube has what's supposed to be a clip, but something's wrong because the clip is actually some prof-type covering a white board with math.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 1

I just starting watching episodes of this show a couple of weeks ago.  Chummy is my favorite character.  I would love to have a friend like her.  She charges around like a bull in a china shop, but is so friendly that you would forgive her for anything that she might have broken.  I also love her way of speaking, especially phrases she used a lot, 'tickety-boo' and 'young sir' for example.

• Love 6

But wasn't that some time ago...as in SOME time ago? Sister Evangelina was away for six months, which happened way after Chummy left. And Constable Noakes has continued to be a presence. I think they had trouble coinciding Miranda's absence with the storyline. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Isn't she supposedly off running some home for unwed mothers?

Yes, the article linked to above has this quote from the Show Runners:

“We’ve been bursting to share the news that Chummy has now left the Mother and Baby Home and is heading back to Poplar for series six,” it said. “We’re thrilled to be once again featuring Miranda Hart and her fabulous blend of warmth, strength and vulnerability, as Chummy gets to grips with the medical and social challenges of the 1960s.”

That Mother & Baby Home featured in the 2014 Christmas special where Chummy and Patsy are sent to help out at the home which operated in appalling conditions for the health of the mothers and therefore the babies. (not to mention the punishment-for-your-sins atmosphere.) In the first episode of the 4th Season (2015), Chummy is asked to "temporarily" become the Matron of the home. I guess that was the show's way of making room for Miranda to meet her other work obligations and still remained attached to the show.

Glad her temporary assignment is over.

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 4

Chummy is asked to "temporarily" become the Matron of the home.

That does not coincide with Constable Hubby's comment a few episodes ago that Chummy was taking an evening pottery class.

(edited)

Did anyone else hear a note of sadness in his voice - she'd rather do pottery (even though she's not a "crafty girly girl") than spend time with Young Sir and me?  I'm one who also raised eyebrows a bit at Constable Noakes and Trixie's hand-holding when Sister Evangelina passed away.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 1

Asking this here because there's not a forum for "Miranda."  My PBS station in Atlanta will put "Miranda" on the schedule and my DVR is set to record it.  Then I get a message that due to a schedule change, it didn't record.  Has this happened to anyone else? Thank you!

Thank you "dcally" (had to put your name in quotes because it keeps auto-changing to "really").  My PBS station finally broadcast it this past Saturday night and it successfully recorded.  I thought it was hilarious.  And I found out that I do have Hulu so now I have two options.

• Love 1

Miranda Hart has announced that she will not return to CTM, not even for the couple of season six episodes that been talked about in the media earlier. She says she just can't fit it in her schedule. Obviously I think she is making a mistake. Chummy was a different character than the type Miranda usually plays. I hope she doesn't go the "constantly unlucky in love" and silly route and get typecast. She showed in CTM that she can do more. 

Sigh, I will miss you, Chummy! 

• Love 4

Yes. This is a disappointment but I found I didn't miss her as much as I feared last season. The rest of the cast is still strong. I honestly think I will miss Sister Evangelina more than I will miss Chummy. I've gotten used to her absence. 

On 2016-08-20 at 2:05 PM, Spunkygal said:

I hope she doesn't go the "constantly unlucky in love" and silly route and get typecast. She showed in CTM that she can do more. 

Absolutely agree with this SPUNKYGAL.  This show gave her a variation on her schtick - which I have loved, but ...

• Love 3

I have mixed feelings. I like Miranda Hart and I liked Chummy but at times it felt as if too much time and attention were paid to the character. On the other hand Sister Evangelina's death was so devastating that I found the thought of Chummy returning rather comforting. But I agree with Miranda Hart's second tweet, we should be in for a treat with Dame Harriet Walter.

• Love 2
(edited)

Quoted from S06.E01 Episode 1

GaT said: Is Chummy permanently gone???? I thought it was just temporary.

I'd say yes. It is possible that Chummy could return in season 7, but I very much doubt it will happen. Miranda Hart was suppose to be in this season, but due to her conflicting work schedule she was unable to make it happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3747299/Miranda-Hart-reveals-s-no-longer-returning-Call-Midwife-Camilla-Chummy-Browne-conflicting-work-schedule.html#ixzz4dDFGHj63

Edited by Fireball
11 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Quoted from S06.E01 Episode 1

I'd say yes. It is possible that Chummy could return in season 7, but I very much doubt it will happen. Miranda Hart was suppose to be in this season, but due to her conflicting work schedule she was unable to make it happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3747299/Miranda-Hart-reveals-s-no-longer-returning-Call-Midwife-Camilla-Chummy-Browne-conflicting-work-schedule.html#ixzz4dDFGHj63

Crap. This season really needs a bit of lightness with SIster Ursula ruling the roost, & Chummy would have been a perfect counterbalance. It's so strange the way British actors can apparently leave & come back to a series like this, that never happens on American TV.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, GaT said:

Crap. This season really needs a bit of lightness with SIster Ursula ruling the roost, & Chummy would have been a perfect counterbalance. It's so strange the way British actors can apparently leave & come back to a series like this, that never happens on American TV.

I was disappointed to find out the Hart had changed her mind about appearing this season. It's getting to the point that Chummy's absence is getting a bit ridicules. While I like chummy, I do think the writers should have written Chummy out. Every time Sergeant Noakes shows up I'm wondering where the heck his wife is and what is she doing. I'd think by now they would have a second child with maybe a third on the way. I can't remember did Chummy go back to midwifery after the birth or did she decide to be a stay at home mother?

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I can't remember did Chummy go back to midwifery after the birth or did she decide to be a stay at home mother?

Midwifery.  Isn't she running a maternity hospital as an excuse for not appearing on the show?

• Love 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I was disappointed to find out the Hart had changed her mind about appearing this season. It's getting to the point that Chummy's absence is getting a bit ridicules. While I like chummy, I do think the writers should have written Chummy out. Every time Sergeant Noakes shows up I'm wondering where the heck his wife is and what is she doing. I'd think by now they would have a second child with maybe a third on the way. I can't remember did Chummy go back to midwifery after the birth or did she decide to be a stay at home mother?

I seem to remember she was doing some kind of fill in midwifery or something like that? She wasn't a stay at home mom, but she wasn't working full time either.

edited: @ItCouldBeWorse responded at the same time as I did, & now I remember. She's running the unwed mothers home, isn't she?

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, GaT said:
49 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I seem to remember she was doing some kind of fill in midwifery or something like that? She wasn't a stay at home mom, but she wasn't working full time either.

edited: @ItCouldBeWorse responded at the same time as I did, & now I remember. She's running the unwed mothers home, isn't she?

I believe so.  She is "matron of a mother and baby unit."

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I believe so.  She is "matron of a mother and baby unit."

It would be nice if the writers at least did not act like we are morons and forgot about her.  Maybe just have Sgt. Noakes say something about missing her, or seeing her every weekend, or what a great job she's doing so is staying on.  Although I can't imagine him being separated from Young Sir for a decade.  

It's just annoying and not terribly flattering to think we are being ignored in the sense of wanting some continuity.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Midwifery.  Isn't she running a maternity hospital as an excuse for not appearing on the show?

I thought that was the excuse for her not being in season 4. I guess Chummy was supposedly still running the maternity hospital in season 5, and I guess she's still running it this season too. However, it's just so weird to have Sgt Noakes popping up. From everything I remember, I can't see Peter & Chummy being ok with being separated for so long.

I honestly think the writers should have just packed Chummy + family off on some missionary work or something. It would explain Chummy's absence.  Yes, it would suck for the actor playing Peter, but it's really odd to see him and not Chummy. I also don't think Peter adds that much to the show. With Peter gone the writers could have introduced a new cop.

By packing the Noakes family off to wherever, if Hart ever became available again it would be so easy to reintroduce her. If the actor playing Peter wasn't available, I honestly don't think his absence would be as glaring as Chummy's is.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not sure where to post this and I don't know if it counts as a spoiler or not, but there is new info about Ben Caplan (Peter) and whether he and Miranda Hart will be returning for the next series. I will post it in the "Media" thread.

And she was mentioned once by Peter last series. Barbara asked about her and he said she was doing well. 

Edited by Beldasnoop

Could someone explain to this yank how Chummy's maiden surname consists of three names and two hyphens?

I've only ever heard of two names and one hyphen, for example Smith-Jones. AIUI, it all has something to do with English primogeniture.

Also, prior to her marriage, was she also known as Lady Brown(e), or was it just her mother?

• Love 1

There are some of the English Upper Crust floating around with a triple barrel surname. It's not common but it does happen.

Chummy would be a Lady only if her father was a Lord (Marquess, Duke or Earl) or if she had earned an Order of the Garter or somesuch. Otherwise she was Miss F-C-B (I'm not writing the whole thing out, going to Noakes must have been a relief for her!).

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

So does a single name marry a double-barrel name to get a triple-barrel name?

Also, "Pa" was a viceroy, I think. Would that make Chummy an Hon?

According to yahoo answers:

Unless the Viceroy holds some peerage title, his (or her) children would not have any titles. 

In other words, if the Viceroy were an earl, the children would have the courtesy titles normally accorded to the offspring of earls. If the Viceroy were not a peer, the children wouldn't have any courtesy titles. 

"Viceroy" is not a peerage title in and of itself. A viceroy is a representative of the monarch, as the name implies, but the title does not confer any courtesy titles on the spouse or children, nor does it confer any permanent titles on the holder.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, answerphone said:

I've been binge watching and just finished season two.

Oh, when I saw the problems she had during childbirth, I was so sad. (No spoilers).

I guess I can't say more, in case someone is even further behind than I am.

This is just my opinion, but I think you should feel free to generally talk about Chummy's childbirth scenes if you want; a detailed discussion probably would be better in the specific episode thread. I've always thought that character threads where open to talk about anything and everything relating to the character and a place to avoid if someone didn't want to read spoilers. Of course, I could be wrong and if that's the case I should have put a number of my posts in this forum in spoiler tags. Sorry to anyone who I spoiled.

• Love 2

No, character threads can contain anything related to any season for the character. Other than specific season threads or rewatch threads clearly marked, all readers should assume they could see info on all episodes.

Thanks!

My daughter and I are marathon re-watching, and we are having great fun picking out some of Chummy's more colorful turns of phrase. "Tickety-boo" and "bally" have already entered our everyday conversation, and the cat will from now on be addressed as "Young Sir."

• Love 8