Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E12: Live Top 17 Performances

• Start Topic

I thought Blake's "save" contestant (Taryn?) was the weakest of the four, but of course she was voted through.  I guess I shouldn't complain since I didn't care enough to vote for any of them, lol.

While I like them both, I don't think Dez or Cami did themselves any favors by performing covers that were (IMO) weaker than the originals.  In contrast, Payge - who I haven't really warmed to - did a fantastic job on her song, so kudos to her.

• Love 2

I had forgotten that Ryan’s mom was sick. The way they rushed through the announcement that he had to leave - I was so disappointed. I actually took the time to vote for the guy last week! I hope his Mom is okay. MS plus Covid - that is rough. 

Soooo many country singers! Hopefully the country vote will be split and they will weed each other out. I did like the guy who sang the song “There Goes My Life.” Not being a fan of country, I did not know the song, and it had me in tears. He sang it beautifully. Tanner with the hat and Worth the Wait can leave at any time. 

I really liked Cami early on but I didn’t care for her last two performances. And Carter really let me down this week. Does he usually use that many runs? It takes away from the purity of his voice. 

I totally enjoyed Tamara Jade. She sang the hell out of that song! She left me smiling. I needed that. 

• Love 1

According to TVLine, Ryan is still with the show, but he broke the show’s Covid protocols and wasn’t allowed to perform. The article said he’ll explain soon

ETA: I guess you have to read the article carefully. It sounds like Ryan has been dropped and didn’t choose to leave because of breaking the Covid protocols, but it’s not entirely clear https://tvline.com/2020/11/30/the-voice-recap-live-playoffs-top-17-sid-kingsley-carter-rubin/

Edited by DanaK

On the country front...  I expect Kelly's two pure country singers to go. Madeleine did a painful cover of a gorgeous Lady A song and Tanner was weak.  Gwen's country guy that she stole from Blake should make it through - and deservedly, because his cover of "There Goes My Life" was fabulous.  Blake - I thought Worth the Wait was really weak tonight but I think they will get through, Taryn was the weakest and she should be gone tomorrow night (my guess is that Ryan won by a wide margin the Knockout Wildcard and Taryn only got through because of the power of the Team Blake voting bloc), not sure which of the three guys on Blake's team will make it through and it doesn't really matter since they're all fairly bland in their genres.  Team Legend will see Bailey Rae gone.  So, by tomorrow, we will have 2, possibly 3 country artists left. 

I can't be bothered with remembering most of the singers names but Desz and Cami were miles ahead on Team Kelly.   The country guy and Carter are likely through on Team Gwen.  Team Blake - Worth the Wait and one of the three guys.  From Team Legend, my guess is Tamara Jade and John Holliday will make it through.  As far as the 9th spot...   possibly Payge or Chloe but most likely one of Blake's guys who doesn't make it through earlier. 

• Love 1

I'm probably out since Julia Cooper isn't on anymore.

edit: that is to say: this show needs more interesting and unique artists. The singers who made it through are mostly very similar.

Edited by Jal
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, leocadia said:

I thought Blake's "save" contestant (Taryn?) was the weakest of the four, but of course she was voted through.  I guess I shouldn't complain since I didn't care enough to vote for any of them, lol.

While I like them both, I don't think Dez or Cami did themselves any favors by performing covers that were (IMO) weaker than the originals.  In contrast, Payge - who I haven't really warmed to - did a fantastic job on her song, so kudos to her.

Dez had a very bad song choice. She needed to show her powerful voice throughout the song not just at the end. And she looked very nervous.

• Love 2

When they said Carter was singing "Hero" I just thought "of course he is."  He has a good voice but man is he bland.

Madeleine (? Country singer on Kelly's team) has now twice in a row sang a "I can't live without you " type song.  I'm not a country fan, but those two songs were almost indistinguishable to me. 

I think there are also some bad song choices.  I can't comment on country, since I know none of those songs, but a lot of the other people I have no idea what they're singing and it doesn't compel me to vote for them (although, I don't vote at all, so I suppose it doesn't matter that much).

• Love 2
6 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

I think there are also some bad song choices.  I can't comment on country, since I know none of those songs, but a lot of the other people I have no idea what they're singing and it doesn't compel me to vote for them (although, I don't vote at all, so I suppose it doesn't matter that much).

I don't vote either. I haven't listened to country since the early 90's so I don't know any of the songs (except for the Judds) and I didn't think the trio did a very good job with it. But I do like some of the country singers, mostly the girl on John's team, all the country men sound alike to me. I do think Blake has the strongest team, I do like the country girl on team John and Carter on team Gwen and Cami on team Kelly and that's about it. Are some of these songs the singers sang something you would hear on the radio? Honest question because I don't know what style they were, they weren't country or pop and didn't sound R&B to me I don't know what they were but differently nothing I would listen to. I don't get the hoopla for the guy that closed out the show I don't know if that was a Frank Sinatra song but all he did was scream.

I think too much is made of the genre of singers and not their voice. If you are a country singer like Bailey Rae (and many of the other contestants) then have them sing songs that challenge their vocal abilities. 

This show has gone downhill so fast and so far. I watch the blinds, FF thru commercials (and the judges bantering and goofy interactions). 

Anyone know if next week (December 14th) is the finale? 

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

I think too much is made of the genre of singers and not their voice. If you are a country singer like Bailey Rae (and many of the other contestants) then have them sing songs that challenge their vocal abilities. 

This show has gone downhill so fast and so far. I watch the blinds, FF thru commercials (and the judges bantering and goofy interactions). 

Anyone know if next week (December 14th) is the finale? 

Yes, 2 part finale, Monday the 14th and Tuesday the 15th. The season seems a bit shorter than usual

ETA: Yep, just checked with Wikipedia. It started about a month later than usual for the Fall season

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1