Type keyword(s) to search

Your Honor - General Discussion

aghst
  • Start Topic

I don't know if Michael is as morally compromised as WW.

In that case WW chose to kill rather than be killed, and got Jesse to kill Gail.

In this case, it's a lot of unintended consequences.  He didn't intend to set up Kofi as a target nor his family.  Of course as soon as it happened he could have stopped it, could have said Kofi isn't a suspect.

But once he went into cover up, he kept having to go in deeper.

They haven't shown him suffering from moral injury or even a slightest regret because he kept taking actions to protect himself and Adam at all costs.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, aghst said:

They haven't shown him suffering from moral injury or even a slightest regret because he kept taking actions to protect himself and Adam at all costs.

THAT is why I think Michael is a sociopath. He is trying to protect Adam, I get it. But underneath that first intention, he only once cringed with slight horror when he heard Kofi was killed and then he stands there later in time and calmly eats sandwiches and talks about meeting his future. He never talked to Adam about Kofi. He never sat in anguish alone in his room. Michael has a history of sociopathic behavior, I guarantee it. The lies come too easily to him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Part 10:

I guess they wanted some kind of symmetry or reach a full circle with another 17-year old dying, unable to speak, choking on his own blood?

Or they simply didn't have any other good ideas?

I don't know that Jimmy or Carlo once he found out would have let Adam go anyways.  After all they literally just got away with murder playing the 911 call in court on an unrelated case.  Michael was shutting down Fiona every time she tried to present related evidence but Michael had to make sure the jurors heard the tape.

Did he also mention to them that it was HIS car that was involved in Rocco's death?

Adam is in the courtroom again, pressing his luck and on hearing that recording, he uses his inhaler, right in front of Gomez and Morticia!

Nancy and then Lee finally figures out that Michael is trying to fix the trial.  Michael tries to gaslight Lee one more time, saying Adam's life is more important than justice or truth.

Michael is relieved and thinks everything is fixed, going for a run while idiot Adam goes into the lion's den.  Maybe Michael should have clued him in that Jimmy threatened his life?

Maybe this dumb ending made Showtime rule out any possibility of a second season.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Part 10:

Hide contents

IDid he also mention to them that it was HIS car that was involved in Rocco's death?

Maybe this dumb ending made Showtime rule out any possibility of a second season.

Spoiler

Michael was actually totally ineligible to even be the judge in Carlo's case. 

The ending had to be like that for justice of the deaths of Kofi and his mother and siblings. It would have been too triggering to let Michael get away with all of that. I would have preferred it was Michael who died for the justice to be served. Adam was just the doofus that went along with is father's choices and decisions. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

Hide contents

Michael was actually totally ineligible to even be the judge in Carlo's case. 

The ending had to be like that for justice of the deaths of Kofi and his mother and siblings. It would have been too triggering to let Michael get away with all of that. I would have preferred it was Michael who died for the justice to be served. Adam was just the doofus that went along with is father's choices and decisions. 

Well, that was a total waste of 10 episodes!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Hmm, not as surprised by the ending as I should be, just by who did the deed. And was that the intended target, or just a lousy shot that hit somebody else who was important to the whole season? 

He intended to kill Carlo. As he shot, Carlo moved  and the bullet hit Adam. Two accidental deaths. Three families destroyed.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

As Lee (who didn't know the depth of his crimes since the blackmailer's death wasn't mentioned) was confronting Michael and he was going on and on about the importance of Adam's life I couldn't help but wonder at the parent(s) that raised a kid who would commit a hit and run even after finding out the boy was still alive.   Seriously, if Michael was such an upstanding great man before then how to explain Adam's behavior?  Not just the hit and run but ignoring his Dad, risky dangerous behavior with the Baxters etc.    I'm thinking 'saving Adam' with this coverup wasn't the first time he saved his son from consequences - only the worst.   

The almost Shakespearean ending left me only caring about Eugene - whose life is also now ruined.   

Also, what was the point of revealing the murdered wife/mother was "fucking a stranger"?   It seemed random and unconnected to anything else.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 15

Am I the only one who thought the pacing was really weird? For example:

• I literally looked online to see if I'd missed an episode. Didn't the last episode end with Adam going off to meet Fia's dad, and the senator steeling herself to tell Adam about his mom's affair? Suddenly this episode starts the next morning with Dad finding out from his mother-in-law that she told Adam the truth, and the meeting between Adam and Jimmy...what?...happened offscreen? Didn't happen at all? I couldn't tell from the godfather hug at the end if that was the first time they'd ever met or not.
  • The episode description talks about how everything is unraveling for Michael, and it was, but it didn't seem to matter. Charlie, Nancy, Lee, they all found out the truth and there's 10 minutes left and I'm thinking, I thought there were only 10 episodes but there must be another one coming to resolve all this. And then they all just...dropped it? 

A couple of other points re: the writing:

• OK, the dead mom's affair was a whole lot of nothing, after all that build up between Nancy and the grandmother, and Michael yelling at her the next day, and Adam moping by the river. Adam and Michael just laugh and hug it out? What was the point of having that in there at all? Is there source material that contained this plot line? Because I would have just left it out altogether if it wasn't going to mean anything.
  • That random ending was dramatically unsatisfying, IMO
  • Love 16

I agree, unsatisfying is exactly the word that came to mind for me too. I think this could have worked better if it was Michael's scheme all along to get the Baxter gang after Desire for revenge on his wife's behalf.

What was Baxter's actual plan for Adam? He obviously wasn't going to torture and murder him in front of a room full of witnesses. I like the idea of turning him into a gangster but I guess that's off the table. It would have been interesting if Baxter didn't find out that Adam was the driver until the end of a theoretical season two just as Adam is about to become a made man.

Did Fia really never figure things out? That's going to be really awkward at the next family dinner.

If a witness calls a lawyer a stupid see you next Tuesday can that lawyer just drop some evidence on them and then return the insult? Who's the stupid see you next Tuesday now? I'm going to bet it's the lawyer who just said that right in front of the judge.

Lee tells Michael he has a dirty soul but in the end Lee is the one who paid one teenager to assassinate another one. True, Eugene didn't hit the person he was aiming at but Lee did tell him to take what he could get...

• Love 4
12 hours ago, preeya said:

He intended to kill Carlo. As he shot, Carlo moved  and the bullet hit Adam. Two accidental deaths. Three families destroyed.

That's what I thought, but I was multitasking at the time and not really paying attention to where Adam was in relation to Carlo.

Thanks for the clarification, because I have no interest in watching it again!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Well, that was 10 hours of my life that I cannot get back. Disappointing end to a show that does not make much sense to begin. I particularly hate the deus-ex-machina ending that still leaves us hanging.

My nitpick of this episode is about drivers in New Orleans in this show. First, Eugene was well within his right to walk across the street, on a crosswalk. The car had no business honking him. Second, what kind of asshole parked his truck right in front of someone's driveway where there was plenty of space available behind that truck?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Lee tells Michael he has a dirty soul but in the end Lee is the one who paid one teenager to assassinate another one. True, Eugene didn't hit the person he was aiming at but Lee did tell him to take what he could get...

I didn't get the impression Lee was telling Eugene to kill anyone. That money was from the sale of the baseball Kofi had. When she told him to get all he could, I thought she was saying this is rightfully yours so take it.

I'm with those who found the ending very unsatisfying. I had high hopes for this show and it went left quickly but I did want to see how it ended. Can I now get my 10 hours back 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 2/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, aghst said:

I don't know if Michael is as morally compromised as WW.

In that case WW chose to kill rather than be killed, and got Jesse to kill Gail.

Sorry, who is WW, Jesse, and Gail? I watched all 10 episodes and I found no one with the initial WW.

Sorry, who is WW, Jesse, and Gail? I watched all 10 episodes and I found no one with the initial WW

WW = Walter White of Breaking Bad, also played by Brian Cranston.

I liked this series although you had to pretty much suspend disbelief to buy into the whole premise.  There is no way that accident would not have been caught on some camera somewhere.  He would have been on camera at the precinct the night of the accident.  No cameras at the marina either?  Cameras everywhere in 2021! 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Sorry, who is WW, Jesse, and Gail? I watched all 10 episodes and I found no one with the initial WW.

They're referring to characters in Cranston's earlier show, Breaking Bad. Michael isn't as compromised as Walter White ended up being, it could be argued. (Although I'm not so sure about that.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Schweedie said:

They're referring to characters in Cranston's earlier show, Breaking Bad. Michael isn't as compromised as Walter White ended up being, it could be argued. (Although I'm not so sure about that.)

Well then in that case I think the poster should have given an indication that it was an off-topic discussion as I do not follow Breaking Bad at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, neece26 said:

WW = Walter White of Breaking Bad, also played by Brian Cranston.

I liked this series although you had to pretty much suspend disbelief to buy into the whole premise.  There is no way that accident would not have been caught on some camera somewhere.  

I can buy if the accident was not caught on camera if it was on residential street with low traffic. What I do not buy is that while the whole event of the accident happens, since the hit until Adam's departure from the scene, nobody passes the area. No pedestrian, no onlooker, no other traffic - except for that one mysterious car. It happens in broad daylight when weather is not an issue.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TV Anonymous said:

I can buy if the accident was not caught on camera if it was on residential street with low traffic. What I do not buy is that while the whole event of the accident happens, since the hit until Adam's departure from the scene, nobody passes the area. No pedestrian, no onlooker, no other traffic - except for that one mysterious car. It happens in broad daylight when weather is not an issue.

Well I don't know New Orleans so maybe there are parts which are as deserted as that place seemed.

But the bulk of the show was about the lengths to which Michael went to cover up the accident.

Clearly they tried to copy the BB formula, of Michael trying to plug up all the leaks in the dike, like WW getting overwhelmed by what was initially a simple plan.

But this wasn't Vince Gillian's writing crew at work here.

• Love 2

The amount of plot inconsistencies and threads that go nowhere and make no sense are just staggering. It’s like half the series was cut for time and then they realized, “Oh shit we only have 2 mins left, uh let’s just have Adam get shot and roll credits!”

• Love 10

It just goes to show, an actor is only as good as the material he's working with. In the case of Bryan Cranston it might even be worse. Somehow, seeing a really good actor trying to make bad material work is even more cringeworthy. Take that scene with Michael telling Adam the story about his mother cracking a rib. The whole scene felt so pretentious, so stagey, and so superfluous, but Cranston tried to give it his all. It almost made it worse.

You know Cranston knows Breaking Bad was lightning in a bottle and he's never going to get material that good again but will keep looking anyway. Well, this project was a huge misfire for him.

We endured so many pointless scenes with this dumb drug gang, an entire episode was practically devoted to it, only to have Eugene shoot Adam in the end. By mistake. What a huge waste of time.

After all they literally just got away with murder playing the 911 call in court on an unrelated case.  Michael was shutting down Fiona every time she tried to present related evidence but Michael had to make sure the jurors heard the tape.

What on earth was that about? It felt like the scene was inserted from a previous episode!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, dwmarch said:

If a witness calls a lawyer a stupid see you next Tuesday can that lawyer just drop some evidence on them and then return the insult? Who's the stupid see you next Tuesday now? I'm going to bet it's the lawyer who just said that right in front of the judge.

I'm going to sound like Grandpa Simpson yelling at a cloud here, but I've never liked that word and it's interesting to me that in this cancel culture, PC, Me Too, etc. environment it seems to be used more frequently these days (or maybe I'm just listening to the wrong podcasts or comedians).  I wouldn't have expected it to pop up in this show, and it took me out of the moment when it did.

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said about the ending, other than I knew Eugene had a gun but I didn't see him killing Adam.  I guess Michael spending the rest of his life knowing that he caused caused his son to die choking on his own blood the same way that Rocco did is a fitting punishment, but that's about the only plot line that was resolved.  Every one else's fate, including Michael's, is left up to the viewer to decide.

Unsatisfying, indeed.  Not going to miss this show at all.

• Love 5

That was incredibly unsatisfying.  Too many questions were left unanswered. 

1. The previous episode ended with Adam on his way to meet Fia's father.  What happened at that meeting?  
  2. What was the point of the whole "Mom had an affair" subplot? It ended up going nowhere and meaning nothing.
  3. With regard to 2 above - add me to the list of posters who didn't recall ever seeing the "previously on" scenes regarding the photos the mother took, that supposedly revealed the affair. Where did that supposedly fit in?

I also care what happened after Adam got shot (although I probably shouldn't, considering the mess this series has been).  Did anyone see Eugene as the shooter?  If not, does he get away clean? Does he try again to kill his brother's killer? How much (if any) of the story comes out? Does Michael get exposed as dirty in Carlo's trial? If not, does Jimmy Baxter own him now? Does Michael's friend still get to be mayor, or does he get exposed as well?  I wasn't expecting to see any of this acted out, but I did think they might tell us in title cards.

• Love 9

Am I the only one who thought Adam's attire for the dinner was atrocious? He is invited to his girlfriend's family celebration of Carlo's aquittal (that in itself sounds kind of funny in a crime family sort of way), and he wears a white tee shirt under an open plaid (flannel?) shirt, and probably jeans. 

And when Fia invites Adam, he doesn't get a look of "uh oh" or guilt, at sitting with her family at dinner, him knowing he killed their other son. 

That's bad direction.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

No pedestrian, no onlooker, no other traffic - except for that one mysterious car. It happens in broad daylight when weather is not an issue.

And did we ever find out what the mysterious car was about?   Nope.  Another dead end thread.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Am I the only one who thought Adam's attire for the dinner was atrocious? He is invited to his girlfriend's family celebration of Carlo's aquittal (that in itself sounds kind of funny in a crime family sort of way), and he wears a white tee shirt under an open plaid (flannel?) shirt, and probably jeans. 

And when Fia invites Adam, he doesn't get a look of "uh oh" or guilt, at sitting with her family at dinner, him knowing he killed their other son. 

That's bad direction.

Good points @TVMovieBuff.  I think it reinforces my idea that Adam has been protected from consequences his entire life and the resulting pathology has some sociopathic elements.   Adam clearly does what he wants to do at all times including ignoring his father, putting himself in danger, sleeping with his high school teacher in his high school bedroom, looking at the Baxters without guilt - even dating the sister.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Well, that was 10 hours of my life that I cannot get back. Disappointing end to a show that does not make much sense to begin. I particularly hate the deus-ex-machina ending that still leaves us hanging.

My nitpick of this episode is about drivers in New Orleans in this show. First, Eugene was well within his right to walk across the street, on a crosswalk. The car had no business honking him. Second, what kind of asshole parked his truck right in front of someone's driveway where there was plenty of space available behind that truck?

Happens everywhere.  People are assholes.  I don’t think most drivers know what a crosswalk is. I had one at my place of work and drivers  flew by and never stopped. Even worse, the cops didn’t care and neither did the city. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

And did we ever find out what the mysterious car was about?   Nope.  Another dead end thread.  

Exactly. Adam is chased by a bunch of Black guys who seem like they know him/his mother (remember they had smashed her photo for some reason), who then follow him in his car which causes the whole accident. The other car is there at the accident scene and witnesses the entire thing, then is shown turning around around driving away. AND IS NEVER SPOKEN OF AGAIN!! WTF!?

I feel like there was a whole separate plot involving Adam’s mother and the Desire crew that was almost completely excised from the show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Yeah they featured the Desire boss lady saying she's playing the long game, like she was going to get revenge against Jimmy.

But other than some dumb confrontation scenes, nothing much came of it.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Starchild said:

Am I the only one who thought the pacing was really weird? For example:

• I literally looked online to see if I'd missed an episode. Didn't the last episode end with Adam going off to meet Fia's dad, and the senator steeling herself to tell Adam about his mom's affair? Suddenly this episode starts the next morning with Dad finding out from his mother-in-law that she told Adam the truth, and the meeting between Adam and Jimmy...what?...happened offscreen? Didn't happen at all? I couldn't tell from the godfather hug at the end if that was the first time they'd ever met or not.
  • The episode description talks about how everything is unraveling for Michael, and it was, but it didn't seem to matter. Charlie, Nancy, Lee, they all found out the truth and there's 10 minutes left and I'm thinking, I thought there were only 10 episodes but there must be another one coming to resolve all this. And then they all just...dropped it? 

A couple of other points re: the writing:

• OK, the dead mom's affair was a whole lot of nothing, after all that build up between Nancy and the grandmother, and Michael yelling at her the next day, and Adam moping by the river. Adam and Michael just laugh and hug it out? What was the point of having that in there at all? Is there source material that contained this plot line? Because I would have just left it out altogether if it wasn't going to mean anything.
  • That random ending was dramatically unsatisfying, IMO

I totally agree with you.  On two occasions, episode 5 and episode 10, I wondered if I was having blackout moments; no recall to the lead-in of the shows.  What was the point of having the mom dying by being murdered, her as a photographer, and having an affair?  I thought old photos Adam found and the location of her death would be a factor in the crime.  Nope.  Nada.  Also, what was the point of Adam sleeping with his teacher?  ??  Why have a dog with seizures?  ??  And why end the program with the Baxter family basically getting away with their crimes?  The families affected by this family, Kofi's and Michael's, ended up dead and they just party on.  Very disappointing.  

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Madison59 said:

I totally agree with you.  On two occasions, episode 5 and episode 10, I wondered if I was having blackout moments; no recall to the lead-in of the shows.  What was the point of having the mom dying by being murdered, her as a photographer, and having an affair?  I thought old photos Adam found and the location of her death would be a factor in the crime.  Nope.  Nada.  Also, what was the point of Adam sleeping with his teacher?  ??  Why have a dog with seizures?  ??  And why end the program with the Baxter family basically getting away with their crimes?  The families affected by this family, Kofi's and Michael's, ended up dead and they just party on.  Very disappointing.  

I guess Adam's death is suppose to mean that all the wrongs Michael did was for nought.

Kind of facile.

Yeah they made a big deal in the pilot about the black SUV following Adam.  And they did nothing with it but they did bring some rando to blackmail him?  Trevor figured it out and blackmailed Michael but the black SUV occupants who witnessed the crash didn't get involved?

• Love 5

I wonder if this was originally planned for more episodes, then cut back to 10.  I am guessing that Rudy, who was connected to Desire, was who the mom was having an affair with, and was killed in Desire territory -- because she was white? or because she was going to expose them in some way? and that backstory was cut to shorten the series.

The Adam-Fia "romance", a.k.a. puppy. love, was an idiotic writers brain fart IMO. And when she told Adam she wanted them to head across the country, I thought that will last until daddy cuts off your credit cards!  I doubt either one of them has ever done a moment's hard work. I began to think that Adam was a sociopath when he could so casually get on with his life after watching the boy he hit die in the street, then pursue his victim's sister.  

I actually liked the ending in a way.  Poetic justice for the remaining child of the family  Michael destroyed to take away the one thing that still mattered to michael.  But all the stupid and unresolved subplots really screwed the show up. Please, Bryan, stop trying to recreate Walter White!

Edited by MBayGal
  • Love 4

This was very Shakespearian, but rather unsatisfying as well. I would hope that Carlo Baxter and the teacher who groomed and sexually abused Adam after his mother died would still wind up in jail, but that seems unlikely.  Michael will probably kill himself, and I'm not sure there is any way to bring his collusion with the Baxter's during the trial to light and get a new judge/jury to hear that case.  But I'm sure the teacher will find more victims, so she could be caught eventually.  That creepy, possesive embrace that Mr. Baxter put on Adam while his father watched also had disturbingly sexual overtones.  

The Baxter's still have far more wealth and power then Michael and Adam ever would, so it's not surprising that their family is mostly intact in the end, and while Michael threw out everything he believed in and was fighting for in the system, the Baxters are completely without remorse for having blown up an innocent black family.  Overall, the black and low-income characters are bearing the brunt of this injustice, which is how it works in the real world as well and I see was what the director wanted to show.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 4

The kid who came in and shot Adam, seems to have escaped unnoticed while all the hullabaloo was going on. I felt sorry for that kid, every time I saw him since his mom and siblings died. 

I kind of hope he doesn't get caught. Adam started this whole mess, and he paid for it. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I'm going to sound like Grandpa Simpson yelling at a cloud here, but I've never liked that word and it's interesting to me that in this cancel culture, PC, Me Too, etc. environment it seems to be used more frequently these days (or maybe I'm just listening to the wrong podcasts or comedians).  I wouldn't have expected it to pop up in this show, and it took me out of the moment when it did.

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said about the ending, other than I knew Eugene had a gun but I didn't see him killing Adam.  I guess Michael spending the rest of his life knowing that he caused caused his son to die choking on his own blood the same way that Rocco did is a fitting punishment, but that's about the only plot line that was resolved.  Every one else's fate, including Michael's, is left up to the viewer to decide.

Unsatisfying, indeed.  Not going to miss this show at all.

Watching a lot of British TV they use the C word all the time and they use it on men.  Kind of like how Americans call men pussies.  

2 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

The kid who came in and shot Adam, seems to have escaped unnoticed while all the hullabaloo was going on. I felt sorry for that kid, every time I saw him since his mom and siblings died. 

I kind of hope he doesn't get caught. Adam started this whole mess, and he paid for it. 

They made a point of showing no one paying attention to the kid.   Adam was getting awfully comfortable amongst the Baxter family even knowing that he killed one of them.

I knew that inhaler was going to get him.  He had no business in that courtroom. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, MamaBird said:

With regard to 2 above - add me to the list of posters who didn't recall ever seeing the "previously on" scenes regarding the photos the mother took, that supposedly revealed the affair. Where did that supposedly fit in?

I think they had some subplots which they may have dropped due to an inability to film much more due to the pandemic. They had to wrap it all up quickly under difficult circumstances so they just dropped the ball on what was not essential to the main plot.

Some stuff they had "in the can" that appeared in "previously on" (which may have even been pieced together before the pandemic) they just simply had to let fall away. And maybe it was too costly to redo the "previously on" which may have been edited together before the pandemic. 

They may not film scenes in order. Some of the courtroom scenes were filmed as recently as November 2020. 

5 hours ago, Bluesky said:

He had no business in that courtroom. 

Michael Desiato had no business being the judge in which it was HIS car that killed Rocco (that they thought Kofi stole) and Rocco's brother was on trial for killing the alleged killer of Rocco. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

TV Anonymous, I agree that Breaking Bad references need to be in a different thread. I've seen that show and understand the references, but do get annoyed when people reference things in one show's forum about another show, esp using abbreviations and nicknames that really stress the outsiderness of anyone who hasn't. 

I know different people have different tastes but I thought that Adam's ugliness is something the whole country can agree on!  He is really really ugly.

I think that's pretty cruel to say. Even if you don't think he's handsome, I think few people, much less the whole country, would consider Adam ugly. His character? Yes. His face? No.

As soon as Eugene bought the gun, I said to my husband, "What if he aims for Carlo but hits Adam instead?" And there you go. I guess I could write this shit. Yay me. It was a kind of sad commentary that after all the damage and fallout of Michael's machinations, the end result - Adam getting killed - happened anyway.

And let't talk about Adam. Much has been said about Michael's criminal behaviour and bad judgment, literally and figuratively. But all of it was because of Adam making the first bad decision. All he had to do was call 911 and stay with the kid he hit. Plus, after all the murder and mayhem that happened to save his ass, he lollygags through life, chasing girls and ignoring his father's phone calls. At least Michael showed some angst and regret about his choices.

But yeah, poor writing, poor editing. The whole dead mother, which was Adam's reason for being in that neighbourhood in the first place, was left unexplained. I'm guessing a Desire-Baxter battle was supposed to be fodder for season two. Or maybe it was cut to 10 episodes from 16 because of Covid, but they should have edited it tighter in that case. As mentioned by others, the dog needing medication, the teacher sleeping with Adam, even the presence of the grandmother, what was the point of these? 

I do suppose that at least Adam and Michael got what they deserved.

• Love 5

I thought I was done with this show, but then reading this comments I could not help contributing another two cents. Okay, show post-mortem. There were two behaviors in this show that I could not figure out and were I felt totally bizarre and illogical.

1. Adam

So how do we figure Adam out? Scared? Guilt? Coward? Self-entitled? He hit Rocco accidentally. Normal behavior would be to flee immediately to escape responsibilities or to stay and help the victim to accept responsibility. Not Adam. After he settled himself, Adam visited dying Rocco, picked his phone up and called 911. But he did not say anything to 911. Why? Did he want to help or did he not want to help?

After Adam explained the accident Michael tried to remove the evidence of the crime. But Adam then photographed them. Did he want his father to save his skin or did he want to make confession? He then approach Fia intentionally. Again, what was the motive? And he looked joyful when the Baxters invited him to the celebration. Did he think that he was off the hook?

2. Desire

I also could not comprehend the behavior of this gang. First Charlie asked them to get the car stolen. That one I could understand. It might be a favor to ask in exchange of something. But then Kofi was forced to plea guilty of the hit. That meant that the car was hot. Why did Desire open themselves to that problem while they knew that the car was stolen on Charlie's request? Why did they sacrifice one of their own to cover Charlie? Even after Kofi was murdered, even after Kofi's family was killed, they did not lean on Charlie. What did Charlie have over them that made them willing to swallow all that loss? Who is Charlie? So far he was mentioned as a mayoral candidate and community activist. But Desire went all the way to confront Baxters and was ready for a gang war without even speak to Charlie to find WTF was going on.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Shermie said:

As mentioned by others, the dog needing medication, the teacher sleeping with Adam, even the presence of the grandmother, what was the point of these? 

I thought at first that Michael used the dog's medication when he poisoned the witness's water.  The teacher/Adam affair I chalked up to topicality (there's a lot of that going around these days), and to create some tension in relation to his relationship with Fia.  The grandmother's purpose seems to have been to spill the beans on Michael's wife's affair.

All that being said, I agree with others who say there were episodes or plot lines that were cut after the fact.  It's the most logical explanation for why there are so many unanswered questions, but (as others have also pointed out) it's really sloppy.  I'm surprised that TPTB would have let this mish-mash edit go to air.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TV Anonymous said:

I thought I was done with this show, but then reading this comments I could not help contributing another two cents. Okay, show post-mortem. There were two behaviors in this show that I could not figure out and were I felt totally bizarre and illogical.

1. Adam

2. Desire

I also could not comprehend the behavior of this gang. First Charlie asked them to get the car stolen. That one I could understand. It might be a favor to ask in exchange of something. But then Kofi was forced to plea guilty of the hit. That meant that the car was hot. Why did Desire open themselves to that problem while they knew that the car was stolen on Charlie's request? Why did they sacrifice one of their own to cover Charlie? Even after Kofi was murdered, even after Kofi's family was killed, they did not lean on Charlie. What did Charlie have over them that made them willing to swallow all that loss? Who is Charlie? So far he was mentioned as a mayoral candidate and community activist. But Desire went all the way to confront Baxters and was ready for a gang war without even speak to Charlie to find WTF was going on.

Adam was so idiotic that I don’t want to even try to make sense of him and his nonsense.

Desire. I think Baxter’s cop had a hand in Kofi pleading guilty. I don’t remember if there was any contact between the cop Desire worked for (the one Charlie contacted about getting rid of the car). But if I am remembering correctly Baxter told his cop he wanted who did this. Once Kofi was arrested and tied to the hit and run by way of the car, Baxter’s cop may have gotten the other cop to get Desire to make Kofi take the fall. Case solved. Baxter is happy.

I don’t think Kofi had any value to Desire to begin with let alone compared to having a cop on the take. Losing Kofi meant nothing to Desire. I don’t think Desire knew who Charlie was so they had no reason to look for him over someone they didn’t place any value on anyway.

I don't think Desire confronted Baxter for the sake of Kofi. I think it was done as a way to get a new loyal soldier in Eugene and to have an excuse to war with the competition. 

These are my guesses anyway.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 4
On 2/15/2021 at 9:08 AM, GodsBeloved said:

I didn't get the impression Lee was telling Eugene to kill anyone. That money was from the sale of the baseball Kofi had. When she told him to get all he could, I thought she was saying this is rightfully yours so take it.

I'm with those who found the ending very unsatisfying. I had high hopes for this show and it went left quickly but I did want to see how it ended. Can I now get my 10 hours back 😂

Wasn't the baseball Adam's which rolled from the floor of his car when Kofi took it?  I kept thinking the baseball would be linked to Adam.  But no, apparently Michael had no idea about the signed memorabilia and sold it.