Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Deck the Halls with Drama

• Start Topic

Robyn and Juan seek couples therapy to move forward in their relationship. Gizelle works hard to make sure Robyn’s engagement goes off without a hitch, but Michael's skepticism causes her to panic. Candiace confronts Karen about setting her up, while Michael Darby and Chris Bassett square off, leaving Michael unhinged.

Airdate 12.06.2020

Gizelle may be annoying at times but her genuine excitement like she's the one being proposed to, is kind of adorable. 

eta: Uh forget what I just said about Gizelle - um, Wendy you seem very invested in this. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • LOL 11
  • Love 7

I'm so glad this shitshow is over!  Good Gawd.  If I have to hear about Candyass and her version of things I'm just gonna blow chunks.  I find it hilarious that now here at the end, Michael is acting like the SECURITY GUARDS are all touching him!  He's kinda looney!

And that sorry Monique and that laugh!  Plus, I'm so glad that I won't have to see Candyass and that white stupid thing on her head during her talking heads.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Michael is a piece of trash posing as a human being. That ending note about their marriage being stronger than ever? If that’s what you need to tell yourself to keep the roof over your head, Ashley. 

Won’t be returning if Monique does. She is a delusional mess with no sense self-awareness. 

• Love 13

It was interesting watching this right after Atlanta.  Potomac was filmed last year, while Atlanta was filmed this year, and I could see the difference.  Candiace and Monique’s fight seems so trivial when I think about what’s happened this year with George Floyd, Brianna Taylor and of course COVID.

• Love 18
37 minutes ago, Momager said:

Michael looked so disappointed when Juan proposed to Robyn.

I'm positive that's what that weird drunken tantrum at the end was all about. Dude done lost his damn mind. Juan's milkshake bringing all the boys to the yard apparently. 

The Juan proposing to Robin heartbreak aside, I think it was also blatantly obvious that Michael was trying to set Chris and Candiace up with that so obviously fake overreaction to Chris barely touching him. But because Michael's just a loser in general, not even that he could do very well and instead anyone who looks at the footage could tell his claim of being hit was bullshit. 

Damn the producers were not Monique's friend this season. Obviously she gave them the ample footage to work with but man, she was looking all kinds of batshit crazy at the end with that laughing. All that was missing was the editors putting in some creepy, horror music.

That said, crazy though she may be, she is still stunning. And it's not even with all the heavy makeup and over the top weave, because I'm not a fan of that stuff. When she went to the therapy session in sweats and her natural hair, I literally had a "wow, Monique is gorgeous" moment. 

Okay so I'm no lawyer but I call bullshit on Candiace's claim for why the Court would throw out the case. This claim that because Monique and her people were throwing out bogus claims to tabloids and blogs, the judge decided it was just some reality show messiness makes no sense. I can't see a Court just dismissing a clear case of assault because one party is selling lies to tabloids. Nah, I'm sorry, I'm inclined to believe it's because they really didn't think it was an assault. 

So Gizelle's continuing this lie that she and Jamal are genuinely a thing huh. Okay then... 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 21

Chris looked like he was trying to stay away from Michael the entire night.  Chris was minding his business.  Michael was mad Juan proposed to Robyn.  Candiace was emoting to Karen, not Ashley.  Therefore none of what was transpiring had anything to do with Michael or Ashley.  Michael should not have put his hands on Chris, that's what started that whole situation.  And then for Michael to start screaming "Oh he hit me, he hit me," that's some bitch ass behavior right there.

Chris Bassett is correct: Michael likes to roll up on the female cast members to intimidate them.  Chris Bassett is probably the only husband/partner on the show who pushes back on Michael's behavior.

BRAVO is shady for that Vincent Price echo laugh they gave Monique.  She changes her reason for being triggered to beat Candiace's ass every week.  I'm unavailable for her bullshit.

Another person on some bullshit is Karen.  If Candiace had come at the time she was supposed to come*, she would have encountered Monique.  That was unfair of Karen to even think about putting Candiace OR Monique in that situation without letting them know beforehand and letting them make their own decisions about it.  It was unfair to Candiace because Monique assaulted her, threatened to kill her and was head of a social media smear campaign (the real reason the cast isn't here for Monique).  It was unfair to Monique because Candiace had charges on her.  It doesn't matter that Candiace didn't come on time so she ended up never encountering Monique, the point was Karen was trying to make that happen.

It doesn't matter if Juan was drunk last season and said something about Robyn.  He wasn't drunk when he went to the jewelry store and he wasn't drunk when he planned the proposal.  Michael and Ashley need to mind their own relationship and don't worry about anyone else's.

*I still think production had a hand in Candiace's delay, to make sure she and Monique were not there at the same time. That was a headache they didn't need.

If Monique is not asked to return to RHOP, it will be because of her actions after the fight and not the actual fight.  But one person who definitely does NOT need to come back is Michael Darby.

9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Nah, I'm sorry, I'm inclined to believe it's because they really didn't think it was an assault. 

They threw out the case because of Ashley (and probably Karen's) statements. Ashley said as much (at least about her own statement) just now on WWHL.  I still think Karen also wrote a statement against Candiace; whether that fact will ever be revealed, I don't know.  It was clearly an assault on Candiace.  However, Candiace did flip Monique's lapel (after Monique flipped her hair) so that plus Ashley (and Karen's) statements to the court led the court to believe these were TV shenanigans...especially after that same court system had just dealt with Michael Darby's bullshit the year before.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

BRAVO is shady for that Vincent Price echo laugh they gave Monique.  She changes her reason for being triggered to beat Candiace's ass every week.  I'm unavailable for her bullshit.

I came away from this episode thinking that production really has some significant issues with Monique. Maybe, like Dorinda, she doesn't treat the producers well or something, but the cackling combined with the echoing laugh was clear - they want us to think of her as like a witch or something.  They definitely sent the message that they think she's at fault for the altercation (and to be clear, I agree with them).  And it makes me doubt she'll be back next season. 

I also came away thinking that Michael Darby is messy and has some real problems with both his sexual identity and alcohol. It's uncomfortable to watch, and while I don't dislike Ashley as many do here, I do think that Michael was at fault for that incident.

Karen just makes me want to shake my head.  I can understand Candiace's frustration with Karen saying "it will all come out" as if there is some backstory that the rest of them aren't privy to. They were all there, except for Ashley. They all saw what happened. Karen's insinuation that there is some magical backstory that will exonerate Monique is something. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Also, Ashley unnecessarily escalated things by coming for Candiace and/or Chris about "self control" and them blaming Monique. 

MICHAEL was the one who was drunk.

MICHAEL was the one who engaged with Chris.  Chris was sitting at the bar minding his business.

MICHAEL was the one screaming "I'm gon' call the police! I'm gon' call my lawyer!"

MICHAEL was the one getting buck with security.

When security came for Candiace and Chris, they left.  When security came for Michael, he was trying to fight back with security, embarassing Ashley.

Ashley is probably safe but Michael doesn't need to come back.  He's too much of a problem.

ETA: The new lie Monique is spewing is that Candiace filed the charges so she could sue Monique so Candiace could have the money to pay for Dorothy's house.  So since Candiace just bought a million dollar house, does that mean Monique paid her off?

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 15

That was 95% snooze and bullshit, 5% other.  No reason under the sun for an extended finale.  

Michael, what can I say?  All night he was cruising to get laid and beaten up (perhaps at the same time?), he finally got a finger-poke in the chest, and he reacted like someone who’d gotten his head slammed against a table repeatedly.  He can fuck all the way off.

Karen is the biggest liar who lies.  It was the finale party, and her job to be there.  Contrary to her assertions, no one owed her shit.  If she hadn’t showed up, I think she should have been fired. I think she should be fired now.  She adds nothing to the show because I don’t believe a word that is coming out of her mouth.  I think she was trying to be funny discussing how she had to eat a few pieces of chicken because of the demands of the reality show she’s filming.  Not working for me.  If there was “mechanical failure” on a plane and a real grande dame had to be somewhere, she would have chartered something, or jumped on a private plane, instead of bitching that she changed at Charlotte for them.  She wasn’t doing shit for anyone but herself, because she knew she had to be at Robyn’s holiday party as a job requirement.  

I realized I may have been mixing up Karen’s excuses for leaving her wig party early with Karen’s excuses for getting to Robyn’s party late, and I don’t care, because it’s all bullshit.  She set Candiace up to have a showdown with Monique, which is really fucked up, it didn’t work out, and she’s ducking for cover again, and how many times are people expected to buy it?  Why is anyone even speaking to her in any capacity?  When Karen tried to talk to Candiace outside at the end, I felt like I was watching a horror movie on Netflix—I was all, “don’t do it Candiace!  Don’t talk to Karen!  She’s the murderer; run for your life!”

Monique has officially turned into mustache-twirling villain.  If she’s back, I likely won’t be.  

Nothing else happened.  Gizelle wore a fugly as shit necklace.  Juan took an inordinately long time to get down on one knee to propose marriage to someone to whom he wants to get remarried...but he has a remarkable inability to articulate anything about what went wrong with their first marriage, so why would anyone think they second one—if it happens—is going to be any better/different?  Candiace sounded better before the auto tune kicked in.  

The reunion looks halfway decent.  I’ll probably watch that and move on.  Although my opinion of Candiace has been highly elevated, I’m still not sure I like her and I started to see shades of the old Candiace again tonight with her pretentious manner when driving to the party with Chris, I have absolutely no respect for Ashley, Karen or Gizelle, Monique is a fucking psychopath, and Robyn had a good season, but there’s nothing about her to suggest she’s a front-runner.  Charrisse and Katie both tried and failed to make their comebacks.  Wendy did emerge as a dark horse, when I originally thought I would not be able to stand her, but if history is any indication, she’s probably headed for the second-season blues.  I’m not really sure where this franchise can go.  

I’m excited about the reunion, just because of the clothes, and it’s the closest Candiace is going to get to having her day in court against Monique, so to speak, but I don’t have high hopes.  I am willing to hear Monique, even though her disgusting song kind of says it all.  I am really curious as to what is in her binder.  Reasons not to watch the reunion though: Michael and Ashley are repulsive.   

I am also really suspicious about the timeline of this episode.  Last episode Wendy and her mom were in a pumpkin patch, which suggested it was around Halloween, and then this episode Dean turned five months when he had been three months old when the season started in August 2019, which would also suggest this episode filmed in October, but Gizelle was putting up a Christmas tree and Robyn was having a holiday party, yet when Candiace and her mom got their nails done, there were people walking around on the sidewalk dressed in shorts and short sleeves.  I feel like I get lied to by Karen enough; I’m not really interested in getting my chain yanked with the timeline.  Really just a C season; a fabulous reunion could bump it up to a B.  I won’t hold my breath.  

• Love 8

Michael really showed his entire ass at that Party.

Shit stirring up in Juan and Robyn's relationship.

Creepin on Juan, Eddie and Charisse's BF.

Overstepping boundaries and invading Chris's personal space.

Insulting his wife Candiece.

Then played victim when Chris checked him.

• Love 17

RHOP:

Monique shouldn't be rewarded for assaulting someone.  

Candiace needs to get at the root of her anger (her mom).

Wendy...who is that?

Robyn: stay engaged and don't marry Juan

Ashley: Deal with your house and its contents (michael) before you start calling out the messes in other peoples houses. 

Giselle..is well...Giselle.  She's the coyote to the road runner (Karen).

Karen is delusional and lives up to her name.  She's also two faced and before she comes after Robyn looks (whose beautiful)..she needs to look in the mirror at her Crypt keeper looks.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Axie said:

Did Wendy misunderstand Juan's proposal and think he was giving her a 5th degree?  What the hell was with her reaction?

That was so weird... like she wanted to take the attention away from Robyn and place it on herself. Who does that? I'm glad Gizelle pushed her back.

Edited by nb360
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, swankie said:

Something is seriously wrong with that man and something is seriously wrong with Ashley for wanting more kids with him and for defending his lecherous behavior.  I don't care what delusion Ashley is living in, her husband is constantly hitting on other men and he doesn't seem to be able to control himself.  If he likes men, that's fine.  Just be open and honest about it and stop hitting on other women's husbands.    

I think its even more than that.  He likes non-consensual touching and thats just weird and unacceptable for a grown man.  A man his age shouldn't be grabbing butts and having to be told to stop.  He seems to like pushing boundaries and making people feel uncomfortable, ostensibly as a sign of control.  So it sounds like his sexual desires are tied to people the other person feel powerless.  Thats just not a good look.  Like go suck your sausages Michael, but make sure those sausages want to be sucked.  

I vaguely remember Monique having a cousin who helped her (Hank?) as an assistant.  I wonder if this is the person that Ashley referenced in the last episode who "saw something"  And I wonder if that was more Michael grabbing his butt or making a comment because he figured that Hank was a lowly assistant and he could get away with it.  

I always knew there was something weird about Michael Darby from the start.  I don't think he has the money he says he has and when he showed up on the girls trip, it was just weird.  I didn't know it was going to turn into butt grabbing, but I think its not anything the other husbands would do (show up randomly on a girls trip) and if it made someone as uncomfortable as it did Karen and Gizelle, no matter how stupid it was, another husband would have just gone to a hotel for the night.  Especially one who is as "rich" as Michael Darby.  Yeah, thats your house, but why have the drama?

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think I saw that story on an episode of A Different World or was it The Cosby Show?  Or maybe it was something I watched in the 1970’s.

Maybe "What's Happening" with Dwyane, Rog, and Rerun?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Wendy was doing way too much during the proposal, but it was kind of endearing how dorkily thrilled she was to be part of this. She's  . . . a lot,  but her sense of humor is her saving grace (telling Eddie to stay out of the fight because he was wearing white). If she comes back for another season, I hope she doesn't take herself too seriously.

I've pretty much have been indifferent toward Juan Dixon, but this episode made me feel protective toward him, with Michael's fawning and then embittered behavior post-proposal. If Michael is truly Juan's friend, he wouldn't be going out of his way to ruin this night for him, even if he had reservations about Robyn. I'm glad Robyn and Juan got to dance and celebrate at their party.

Monique, Ashley, and Karen are all delusional, and I'm going to need Ashley and Karen to stop projecting their insecurities onto others. I can't believe they had me rooting for Gizelle this episode.

• Love 16

To me it seemed Michael was trying to create a “touching” moment as payback for the part Chris and Candiace played in his scandal.

How long will Ashley stay with Michael after the new baby arrives? I wonder if the separation papers have already been signed and sealed - and they’re just waiting for the baby to be delivered. Their whole relationship seems like some sort of tawdry deal.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Now you understand what I feel anytime delusional bag of bones Karen is on screen.

Delusional and living up to her name.

Karen = Wannabe Nene Leakes 2.0

I was looking at her face today and she looks OLD.  I'm older than Karen but she looks BAD, especially with that dead white thing on her head.  

I wonder what LaDamme smells like.  Does it smell like Karen?  I want her to make money from the perfume, go to Florida with Uncle Be...Ray and never be seen on TV again..  

Gizelle needs to start a clothing line.  Don't laugh, she's tacky but so are a lot of people.  I know plenty of folks who'd wear those sequined pants and that white peasant blouse in a NY minute.  

Production hates Michael; they showed him slowly get drunker and drunker.   I think Ashley wants to have children and doesn't seem to give a damn who she has them with.  Poor kids.  Dean looks like a Michael clone, hope he doesn't act like his dad.

I wonder if production likes Monique, especially with that sinister laugh at the end.  Maybe it's production saying, "we're watching you honey."

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 11

Let me get this straight: Jamal works in Atlanta, but is never there and he's also never with Gizelle.....???? So where is he all the damn time?

giphy.gif

Wendy's reaction during the proposal was so over the top, especially considering that she doesn't know Robyn like that. I did love that Giselle was all: Can these bitches get out of the way? I'm the best friend!

giphy.gif

Drunk Micheal coupled with the loss of the love of his life.....

giphy.gif

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think Ashley wants to have children and doesn't seem to give a damn who she has them with.  Poor kids.  Dean looks like a Michael clone, hope he doesn't act like his dad.

She’s determined to be a better mom than Sheila.  

I’m really over the Ashley defenders saying she is playing the game and getting exactly what she wants out of the marriage and she will divorce him and walk away with everything she wants.  That’s all fine and dandy until you bring innocent kids into your game.  I feel the same about Gizelle and her showmance with Jamal.  Both Ashley and Gizelle are setting very poor examples on relationships and human interaction with their children.  

4 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

Let me get this straight: Jamal works in Atlanta, but is never there and he's also never with Gizelle.....???? So where is he all the damn time?

Upholding his reputation.  Dontcha know?!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I am thoroughly enjoying Bravo ending their seasons with some fourth wall breaking with Dorinda's freak out on RHONY about Tinsley and Michael Darby's mess with production. That cut from him acting a fool to that "They went to Bahamas the next day and now she's pregnant with baby number 2" was so dark. The editing of how they would keep jumping back to Michael getting progressively drunker was genius too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

The reaction of Candiace and Wendy to the proposal was over the top and distracting. I was grateful that Gizelle came up and made them back up. I am indifferent towards Robyn and Juan but I  warmed up to them after this episode, and I always root for love and families. Getting in front of the proposal was annoying and took away from the moment. If anyone was going to do that, it would be Gizelle, and she was on her best behavior.

Speaking of best behavior, I know this is a reality show, but I still hate that these great moments (engagement, Wendy's daughter's ceremony) have to end with someone yelling and screaming. 

Michael is a polarizing person. I'm not even sure if production likes him, but they understand that he brings controversy to the show. It was pretty interesting to see him and Juan laughing and joking and being close, calling each other their guy. To play devil's advocate for a second, I wonder how differently things would have gone if Juan would have approached Chris Basset, put his hand on his shoulder, and said hey man your wife is yelling and cursing at my anniversary party, maybe you want to see about that. We have seen Chris get Candiace together on some occasions. I understand Chris and Michael have a completely different relationship though, very hostile in the past. 

After the reunion, Bravo has some important decisions to make on what they will and will not tolerate. They have been pretty inconsistent across the franchises so interesting to see where they go from here. 

Edited by LaurelleJ
My first edit didn't take.
  • Love 16

But can we talk about Robyn's dancing?!?!  OMG, I wish we had seen more of the dance party than the gross Michael Darby scenes.  And I loved seeing Ashley jealously watching the other ladies having a grand old time while she had to go deal with her creeper husband.  I think she was stunned at not being the center of attention and I was LIVING for it!  Need more dance breaks please, Bravo!!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
27 minutes ago, malibu said:

But can we talk about Robyn's dancing?!?!  OMG, I wish we had seen more of the dance party than the gross Michael Darby scenes.  And I loved seeing Ashley jealously watching the other ladies having a grand old time while she had to go deal with her creeper husband.  I think she was stunned at not being the center of attention and I was LIVING for it!  Need more dance breaks please, Bravo!!!!

I saw Ashley's face when the other women were having fun.  But that's Ashley's life and now that she's pregnant again it will be her life for a very long time.

I also thought it was interesting that Karen and Ray left and didn't even stay for the dance party.  I realized that I didn't even miss Karen this episode.  She wants to play the Grande Dame.  I think she said something to Ray about how they "can't deal with these people/we're better than this."  If Karen thinks she's better than the show, why keep her?

• Love 14
38 minutes ago, malibu said:

I loved Robyn dancing and Juan was in the background loving it.  That seemed genuine and delightful.  I had to rewind.  

• Love 21