Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Roaring Emotions

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I really hope that doing this show backfires on Mary and her husband and their "church".  After seeing that gaudy try-hard Versailles repro house, and the $1,000.00 LV earbuds as lunch party gifts, and the constant designer logos/labels on everything Mary wears, I hope that some federal agency (IRS, whoever....) sees this show and investigates them.  

It's quite possible she isn't doing anything illegal, it wouldn't be prudent for one to go on a reality show if one was up to one's neck in shady dealings.

16 hours ago, njbchlover said:

The only thing Mary has going for her as far as being an inspirational religious leader is that she can cry on cue, claiming the spirit of the Lord is within her.  

It seems to be working well for her.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It's quite possible she isn't doing anything illegal, it wouldn't be prudent for one to go on a reality show if one was up to one's neck in shady dealings.

And yet Teresa and Joe Giudice did it, and look where it landed them . . . And Phaedra and her husband from Atlanta . . .

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 13
19 minutes ago, GussieK said:

And yet Teresa and Joe Giudice did it, and look where it landed them . . . And Phaedra and her husband from Atlanta . . .

So true,..and I'm sure there are many more.  I just don't think Mary is doing anything illegal.  She's found her profoundly gullible flock to fund her questionable fashion choices, luncheon gifts and Prada bags for her son's girlfriend.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

So true,..and I'm sure there are many more.  I just don't think Mary is doing anything illegal.  She's found her profoundly gullible flock to fund her questionable fashion choices, luncheon gifts and Prada bags for her son's girlfriend.

Someone mentioned Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker above.  They were (or he was) convicted of tax evasion, I believe--using the ministry funds for themselves.  I don't want to defame anybody on this show.  But unless they are taking that collection money as salary, they could be in trouble.  I guess they could have a limited wardrobe allowance for the ministry . . .  

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Someone mentioned Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker above.  They were (or he was) convicted of tax evasion, I believe--using the ministry funds for themselves.  I don't want to defame anybody on this show.  But unless they are taking that collection money as salary, they could be in trouble.  I guess they could have a limited wardrobe allowance for the ministry . . .  

Of course they're using the basket money for themselves, that's perfectly legal, just ask Joel Osteen.  They're entitled to a salary, housing allowance and much more.  The Bakers were charged with tax evasion, not for using the money for themselves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Of course they're using the basket money for themselves, that's perfectly legal, just ask Joel Osteen.  They're entitled to a salary, housing allowance and much more.  The Bakers were charged with tax evasion, not for using the money for themselves.

Yes, but that's the form the tax evasion may take.  If they pay their own personal expenses from church funds without taking it as salary, then the church can lose its tax exempt status.  The Osteens and other prosperity gospelists are in all likelihood much smarter about this nowadays.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Mary's church from what we've seen, doesn't appear to be the kind that would generate millions of dollars for her to even "borrow".  

From what I've read (don't know about accuracy), members tithe 50% of their salary.  They also have a few businesses.  

Unpopular opinion I guess, but I’m enjoying this show!  I’m entertained and that’s really all I ask when I watch.  Utah is such a different environment than I am used to, and I love seeing the scenery.  The women’s clothes are on a different level and I’m enjoying most of it, I particularly like how Meredith dresses.  The personalities are over the top and not just a retread of the same central casting types we have grown used to.  Jen is all about her glam looks/squad  like Erika Jayne but with much more vulnerability.  Heather has really grown on me, her one liners are good and I feel for her backstory.  I like Meredith and Lisa, their relationship feels real, and I like that they are a little more refined and dignified.  Mary is a stone cold thief but if her congregation doesn’t care about it why should I.  It’s not my money and they have all heard the stories and see her dripping in labels and thousand dollar party favors and still continue to donate. The grandpa thing, while it squicks me out, eww, is not illegal and technically not incest...I’m sure it had something to do with not splitting the inheritance up or some kind of tax dodge.  Whitney is the only one I find boring, she’s trying way too hard to create buzz. That only works when you bring the crazy, like Jen does. I was so bored with BH with the Dorit dog story and the Denise/brandy story, so bored with OC Braunwyn saga, bored also with Jersey, and I don’t watch the others any more.  I’m enjoying this SLC ride so far! 

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I love that movie but that still does not help me to remember who is who on this show!

Meredith's lips are slightly lopsided (? too much botox in one corner?) 

Lisa opens her mouth more than Meredith when she talks.

That's the best I can come up with so far.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

I do not know how much more I can take of this shit show. This is the worst of the Housewives franchise. 

And I was looking forward to it because it could have been a departure from previous iterations of the franchise. Yet again, Bravo got it all wrong.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

Meredith's lips are slightly lopsided (? too much botox in one corner?) 

Lisa opens her mouth more than Meredith when she talks.

That's the best I can come up with so far.

Once I noticed that Meredith had a Drew Barrymore lopsided way of talking, I can now tell them apart.

I’ve thought that Jen has been putting on a massive show for the cameras, but during the fight, when I saw her eyes become surrounded by red, I realized she may genuinely be bat shit crazy.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, NYCFree said:

Once I noticed that Meredith had a Drew Barrymore lopsided way of talking, I can now tell them apart.

I’ve thought that Jen has been putting on a massive show for the cameras, but during the fight, when I saw her eyes become surrounded by red, I realized she may genuinely be bat shit crazy.

The drink glasses had piled up in the shot by then too, so I think she was legimately completely shitfaced by the time her one-hubcap carriage arrived to take her home.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 12/3/2020 at 2:12 PM, whydoievencare said:

Lisa, Meredith and Whitney have voices that are unpleasant to listen to.  And there are a few of the women (Heather is one) that show an odd amount of tongue when they speak - it's distracting. 

Someone else mentioned Heathers tongue and now I can’t unsee it! 

• LOL 2

I’m enjoying the show, I really like the backdrop of SLC.

Jens crazy doesn’t bother me too much. And how can you not call Mary Grandpa F@#$&er? If the shoe fits!
Anyone else notice Mary’s  son twinkle toeing up the steps. 🤣 Some camera man was having a little fun.

A football coach can’t take a few hours off to go to his father in laws funeral? Does Sharif have an apartment somewhere?

I’m liking Heather and Whitney.

Meredith and Lisa’s way of talking is a bit annoying.

• Love 14
38 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

A football coach can’t take a few hours off to go to his father in laws funeral? Does Sharif have an apartment somewhere?

Exactly.  Even if the funeral was during the football season, I’m sure her family could have scheduled it for a Sunday or Monday, which are usually off days, if it was that important for him to attend.  I also could have done without them filming her sobbing on her knees at his gravesite while her doting son held the umbrella over her.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Exactly.  Even if the funeral was during the football season, I’m sure her family could have scheduled it for a Sunday or Monday, which are usually off days, if it was that important for him to attend.  I also could have done without them filming her sobbing on her knees at his gravesite while her doting son held the umbrella over her.  

This makes me think that the coach is not really scrimmaging at home so much...

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
On 12/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, whydoievencare said:

Lisa, Meredith and Whitney have voices that are unpleasant to listen to.  And there are a few of the women (Heather is one) that show an odd amount of tongue when they speak - it's distracting. 

Meredith also does this little rocking, twisting while talking out of the side of her mouth, and bobbing her head. Along with the monotone voice, i find her strangely mesmerizing. 

• LOL 5

Every single one of these housewives has some kind of weird vocal affectation going on. It's bizarre.

We have Jen's ridiculous 24/7 histrionics countered by "Can I touch?" "I love that!" "You look beautiful." and other constant mindless refrains.

I'm out.

• Love 2
On 12/3/2020 at 3:15 PM, GussieK said:

When Meredith announced her separation to Lisa, you could see Lisa preparing to respond as if she knew what was coming, and she kept wanting to start saying her line, but Meredith wouldn't get to the point.  Finally when she did, Lisa smiled in a knowing way.  

I caught that too. Completely rehearsed scene. Lisa couldn’t keep from smiling and then Meredith did. Meredith & Seth have  likely been separated for two years. This is so scripted and stilted, terrible acting. Jen’s mentally ill theatrical breakdown was painful to view. She needs serious help. Weird as hell. 

Meredith’s son is creepy. As was Whitney’s dank backroom soiree. This show does nothing for me and I was looking forward to it. Only Heather seems a smidge relatable. 

On 12/2/2020 at 10:33 PM, nexxie said:

Hmm, I was thinking she’s just an asshole.

Or a batshit crazy lunatic. 

• Love 5

What is Jen's damage?  I've been assuming she's just playing a role, but she seemed to legitimately go off the deep end at that 1920's party.  Whatever's going on with her, whether it's manufactured or legit (or a mix of the two) it's not the fun kind of crazy, and it's not making me enjoy this show.

I enjoyed Heather's obsession with the status of her chicken lollipops.  So...there's that. 

Who does Meredith's husband remind me of?  A slightly better-looking John Lovitz?  

I'm pregnant and hungry and haven't been to a fancy restaurant since February, so perhaps my opinion on this can't be trusted, but I thought the food at the luncheon looked delicious.  The theme and the attendees may have been wackadoo, but sign me up for some of that tagliatelle!  

ETA: Meredith's husband -- not Meredith herself -- reminds me of a slightly better-looking John Lovitz.  Oops.

Edited by ladle
  • Love 3
On 12/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, Wicked said:

Meredith reminds me of Carla Gugino

Yes, and a younger Elizabeth McGovern.  That's the big one for me. 

I have a lot of trouble watching Mary living large while making her living off of the church she heads. Those Louis Vuitton earbuds she gave as party favors cost over $1K each! I'm usually of the mind that people are free to spend their money any way they like, but I draw the line somewhere. It seems super exploitive.  

This.  I don't hold it against someone for having money and spending it as they please either, but as noted, this is different.  She's a thief and a cult leader, parading around like she's a Queen.  The giant logos prominently featured on every part of her don't keep her from looking like some crack whore they pulled off the corner, dusted off and slapped some Chanel on.  Yuck.

Further, as another poster noted, the demeaning way she talked to the staff at the restaurant made my stomach turn.  There is a perfectly kind and appropriate way to make a correction.  Basically calling people "stupid" isn't it.  Mary really has nothing:  no looks, no class, no intelligence, no personality.  

I also think her son would be more interested in Meredith's son than his "girlfriend".  Next episode I want to see Brooks (correct?) walking around carrying a chinchilla and a Prada purse - ha!! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5