Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Monumental Challenge

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Episodes happen in episode time. Do not comment on any social media or other news sources in the thread.  If it was mentioned on the show, it's okay.  If not, do not bring it in. 

Also, Covid-19 restrictions will be discussed on the show.  Do not turn the episode thread into a debate over Covid protocols, etc.  

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

Amen to all of this.  Kathyrn might be an idiot, but she's not that stupid not to have zero idea about monkey connotations.  Just why exactly did she choose that when berating a black radio host?  

She claims to this day that she meant for the emoji to mean “monkey business.” Which was completely tone deaf and ridiculous on her part, especially knowingly dealing with an AA person. I’m sure she’s somehow convinced herself that it was an innocent mistake but she had to know even subconsciously how that would be perceived. 
So yes, not only is Kathryn an idiot, but she’s also a white privileged racist on the DL. She just doesn’t realize this yet, because self-awareness has never been her strength.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

She claims to this day that she meant for the emoji to mean “monkey business.” Which was completely tone deaf and ridiculous on her part, especially knowingly dealing with an AA person. I’m sure she’s somehow convinced herself that it was an innocent mistake but she had to know even subconsciously how that would be perceived. 
So yes, not only is Kathryn an idiot, but she’s also a white privileged racist on the DL. She just doesn’t realize this yet, because self-awareness has never been her strength.

I actually think what happened is she got drunk off her ass and her inner racist came out.  Day after she's pretending she had no idea the racial context.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

I actually think what happened is she got drunk off her ass and her inner racist came out.  Day after she's pretending she had no idea the racial context.  

What if she is just an ignorant idiot?  I've made mistakes on things I didn't understand the context of.  The difference is that I accept criticism and learn from it rather than be defensive.  It's ok to say "I was wrong"

• Love 7
1 minute ago, JLaw said:

What if she is just an ignorant idiot?  I've made mistakes on things I didn't understand the context of.  The difference is that I accept criticism and learn from it rather than be defensive.  It's ok to say "I was wrong"

She is definitely an ignorant idiot.  I do not for one second believe the monkey wasn't purposeful nor do I believe she had no idea that sending a black woman you accused of being racist a monkey emoji would be offensive.    I think her ancestral history used to give her some sort of clout many years ago and she probably thought she was invincible.  Not anymore.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Boo Boo said:

She is definitely an ignorant idiot.  I do not for one second believe the monkey wasn't purposeful nor do I believe she had no idea that sending a black woman you accused of being racist a monkey emoji would be offensive.    I think her ancestral history used to give her some sort of clout many years ago and she probably thought she was invincible.  Not anymore.  

that's fair... btw i'm black (even though you wouldn't know it from the blue fur and heart on my ass)... i'm just allowing for the fact she might not have been taught things she should have.  she has never had to think about stuff like this

Better said... I don't think Katharine is holding Klan rallies in her living room... she is just uneducated

• Love 6
22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There was more to the exchanges than just the emoji. It wasn’t just that one isolated thing, more of the exchanges were posted in several Facebook groups.

Can you give some insight into the exchanges and how Kathyrn came off?  [Edit:  Nevermind -- I think the question belongs in the Kathyrn forum!]

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 1

An update on the removal of the remnants of the Calhoun statue.
Demolition of Calhoun monument base continues brick-by-brick. That might change in January.

Removing the John C. Calhoun monument’s base during the past two months has been a laborious, meticulous, brick-by-brick process so workers don’t disturb a time capsule rumored to be encased inside. That could change next month and they may bring in heavy equipment to level it.

“The contractor, he’s been very cautious and careful because he wants to make sure that if there’s anything there, as far as a time capsule, he doesn’t want to mess it up,” Kronsberg said Tuesday.

“When we get to the point that each corner is gone — after the holidays — we’re going to all meet and determine what’s the most prudent way to proceed,” he said. 

That means there may not be a time capsule in the base after all.

A Nov. 26, 1934, article in The News and Courier listed what was thought to be inside the time capsule: a cannonball used in the battle of Fort Moultrie; a case and banner from Calhoun’s funeral procession; $100; a lock of Calhoun’s hair; Calhoun’s last speech; and lists of national and state officers.

An archeologist from Mount Pleasant-based Brockington & Associates is on standby to safely remove and analyze the time capsule. Kronsberg said the consultant has been at the monument every day photographing and documenting. 

The city is storing the statute and leaders have tried to keep the location a secret. Officials initially planned to have it displayed at a museum, but so far there have been no takers.

Just over a month after the statue was removed, a crew pulled down the massive granite column that perched Calhoun’s likeness 124 feet above Marion Square. The column’s removal was delayed a day because of lightning strikes in the distance.

• Useful 2