Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Chapter Fourteen - The Tragedy

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Gummo said:

And the klunkiest thing in the episode had to be Mando leaving his jetpack in the Razor Crest for No. Damn. Reason. Even a single throwaway line like, "Damn, my jetpack needs to be recharged" could have taken care of that blatant setup, but they couldn't even be bothered to do that.

He didn’t leave it in the Razor Creat. He left it leaning against a random rock because Boba told him to take it off. It doesn’t make it better but there was blatant setup. Although at least the jet pack wasn’t destroyed. 

Just now, Kirbyrun said:

Mando didn’t leave the jet pack on the ship. Boba ordered him to remove it during their stalemate

But didn't he take it back to the ship, rather than just dropping it? I'll have to watch again.

2 minutes ago, Gummo said:

But didn't he take it back to the ship, rather than just dropping it? I'll have to watch again.

No. It was at Mando’s feet when the storm troopers arrived and he went running to check on Grogu. 

2 hours ago, Lemuria said:

Like other posters here, I wondered how the Slave I tracked the Razor Crest--and the show was really careful about not calling our attention to the issue.  Otherwise, you would expect Din to ask at some point how Fett found him and the Child.  I doubt we'll ever get a reference to it from the show runners. 

Boba may have had remote access to his armor and was able to access the universal GPS coordinates.

• Useful 3
35 minutes ago, Gummo said:

Thanks, all. That makes it a little better.

Not really, he could have snatched it at various points during the fight and putting it back on (hell, Bobba Fett had time to get his Beskar) - would have saved some valuable time getting on top of that hill.

A bit clunky but I enjoyed seeing Fennec Shand again, Ming-Na Wen was underused in her first appearance. The kid-napping was to be expected, destruction of the Razor-Crest was unexpected. I wonder how long it will take Mando to get a new ride?

• Love 3

The jetpack thing is hard. On one hand I can see why he didn't grab it. He was obviously close enough to the mountain top to intercept Boba by ground. So, in his panic to get back to the kid he just ran and, didn't bother with the jetpack.

On the other hand he doesn't normally panic AND he has remote control of the jet pack (unless it's only limited distance?).

I'm going with plot contrivance that's easy to fanwank 😃

• Love 5
On 12/4/2020 at 7:14 AM, raven said:

Ming-Na Wen is ageless, holy crap!

The funny thing is my wife and I have been rewatching ER and she definitely ages (although she still looks great) but she ages in a weird way. She was in a few episodes in season 1 then left the show only to come back in season 6. But the crazy thing is it looks like she aged more between those two seasons then she did between ER season 6 (which was 1999-2000) and now.

• Love 1

If Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc because of the Beskar, what happened to it afterwards?   How did it end up in the hands of Jawas?  I really hope this is explained next week.  Some flashback scenes would be fantastic.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

FYI- that new Razor Crest LEGO set was easier to complete than I expected.1BEEAD62-A0E8-454E-BECD-B7CD80BD669D.jpeg.c515668f1bcc29975e8a579a5b67a140.jpeg

Is that the knob and spear? For some reason I don't think they are to "scale".

9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The funny thing is my daughter has a Lego Star Wars advent calendar and the prize today was a tiny version of the Razor Crest.

My first thought was you should "stomp" on it to make it more accurate.

12 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Would it have mattered? If the spear survived, why wouldn't his armour that was made from the exact same material?

That’s a good point, but OTOH the spear is just solid beskar. Fett’s armor has a bunch of high tech electronics and powerful explosive weapons attached.

8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Is that the knob and spear? For some reason I don't think they are to "scale".

LEGO proportions are weird - giant heads, tiny legs...  In any case, I don’t think they make a part small enough to be the ball, so I improvised. 😉

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I wonder how long it will take Mando to get a new ride?

I have a friend who had to explain to me that Boba Fett's ugly ship is a classic and from the original Star Wars movies, and he speculates that Boba will sacrifice himself to save Grogu and then Mando will get that "new" (but classic) ship.  It's a good theory, but it's too bad the ship is still ugly. 😉 

• Love 4

On 12/5/2020 at 12:53 PM, Browncoat said:

Ahem.  I guess it's a good thing for Boba Fett that Mando never closes (or locks) the door to the Razor Crest when he lands somewhere.  

I know, right! It's been really bugging me that he never shuts the door - way to invite burglars, Din! But I guess that little oversight paid off here.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s not him fighting back but how he fought back. Force choking is considered a dark side power and is an indicator someone his at least flirting with the dark side. It’s not really the act but the emotions required to slowly kill or torture someone. 

Another clue in the episode is the inclusion of a few notes from Kylo Ren’s theme, played as Gideon enters the cell.

Not the first time we’ve heard a theme from the movies... really enjoying Ludwig Göransson‘s work on the show!

• Love 2

My heart was breaking for Mando. Grogu!!!

I was a bit confused as to why it seemed Fennec was giving Boba orders, when she owed him the debt for fixing her.

I also wondered why Mando didn't try shouting Grogu's name to get his attention at the stone. His meditation pose was adorable.

ETA: Luke force choked Jabba's pig guards. That seemed worse to me. But then I think that mind control would be a dark side tactic and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

ETA: Luke force choked Jabba's pig guards. That seemed worse to me. But then I think that mind control would be a dark side tactic and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Luke did go Dark Side for a bit, at least in the books.

For Baby Yoda this isn't the first time he did the force choke he went there with Cara in S1. I also point to Baby Yoda eating the Frog Lady's eggs (he even had a look with the last one). I think they are playing with Baby Yoda going dark side at some point or at least flirting with it. Too many hints at this point, IMO.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

That was when Luke was flirting with the Dark Side. You could tell because he was wearing black and Lucas helpfully color coded Luke in the Original Trilogy. 

39 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

For Baby Yoda this isn't the first time he did the force choke he went there with Cara in S1. I also point to Baby Yoda eating the Frog Lady's eggs (he even had a look with the last one). I think they are playing with Baby Yoda going dark side at some point or at least flirting with it. Too many hints at this point, IMO.

I agree. Personally I like to see them go with a force user finding a true balance rather than the black and white good vs evil seen in the movies. 

4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I have a friend who had to explain to me that Boba Fett's ugly ship is a classic and from the original Star Wars movies, and he speculates that Boba will sacrifice himself to save Grogu and then Mando will get that "new" (but classic) ship.  It's a good theory, but it's too bad the ship is still ugly. 😉 

I’ve seen this speculation a lot but I doubt it will happen for a lot of reasons. I can’t see Mando and Grogu flying around in Slave 1 next season. 

13 minutes ago, Dani said:

That was when Luke was flirting with the Dark Side. You could tell because he was wearing black and Lucas helpfully color coded Luke in the Original Trilogy. 

I never realized that was supposed to be about him flirting with the Dark Side. Interesting. But then the cave scene from Empire still baffles me. 😀

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I hope not.  I love the Slave I ship, it IS classic and it’s iconic.  I remember being a kid and always wanting the Kenner toy ship but never getting it.  
I don’t want Mando to get the ship if it means Boba Fett dies.  I want the three of them to continue as a team.  Barring that, I want a Boba Fett spin-off series showing what happened to him... how he escaped the Sarlacc, how he lost the armour, what he and Fennec have been doing, and their continuing adventures.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I want the three of them to continue as a team.

Not me.  I don't mind the occasional visit but I don't want Fett & Fennec to team up permanently with Din.   They can fly off to their own show; I never gave a thought to Boba Fett after he went down the Sarlacc's gut and I'm still not interested.

I think I'm more upset about losing the Razor Crest than Grogu being nabbed.   The Razor Crest is pretty much dust at this point but I think the child will be back with Din even if that doesn't happen until S3.   

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Personally I like to see them go with a force user finding a true balance rather than the black and white good vs evil seen in the movies. 

This is what I was hoping for with this show.   Grogu has control over his powers; he needs to learn control over his emotions and how not to exhaust himself, which may or may not come with time.  We don't know anything about his species.  He needs to learn the basics of right from wrong and IMO he needs his dad to help him with that.  Since Din's morals are somewhat questionable (or at least, they have been) I thought we had a good basis for an interesting story to tell, while exploring the worlds on the edge that no one (in this universe) cares about.

• Love 6

Anyone else have the sinking feeling  that losing the Razor Crest is foreshadowing for something bad happening to Din in the season finale?  It was such a large part of his identity.  I don't see how he can even operate and function from now on without it. Unless he wants to be Boba Fett's  permanent flunky from now on.

30 minutes ago, magdalene said:

It was such a large part of his identity.  I don't see how he can even operate and function from now on without it. Unless he wants to be Boba Fett's  permanent flunky from now on.

Or they introduce a new ship so that even more toys can be made. 

4 hours ago, Dani said:

33 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Din will just get a another ship that will be his new home with the child. So it will be their ship not just his. 

This is what I thought, too.  I think Slave I is just here for a cameo.  Maybe Peli can help Mando out with a new (to him, of course it'll be used 😉) ship. 

• Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 12:17 PM, paigow said:

Boba was keeping a huge inventory of cybernetic implants around for a rainy day? In case a super assassin could be revived and turned into an honour-bound slave?

Oh is THAT what happened?  I completely missed the explanation for why Ming-Na Wen's character was alive again.  Thanks.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:57 PM, bethy said:

I'm embarrassed by how long it took me to realize that the "new" Mandalorian that suddenly appeared was actually Boba Fett in his armor that he apparently went and got off Mando's ship. 

You are not alone in that.  When he first appearedI thought he was either one of Team Bo Katan or the Jedi that Grogu was calling.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:01 AM, johntfs said:

As for Migs, it's not like he wants the guy but he needs him (or, really, his knowledge/contacts) to find Gideon's ship.  <snip>  So his understandable plan is to find Gideon's ship and perhaps bring in Bo-Katan and her peeps (he was likely close enough to know she's hunting Gideon too) and maybe even Ahsoka

This is going to evolve into The Seven Samurai, isn't it? 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Oh is THAT what happened?  I completely missed the explanation for why Ming-Na Wen's character was alive again.  Thanks.

I did too.  All she did was un-velcro something on her shirt, show something computerized, and then cover it again.  I just went with it.  ::shrug::

20 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I did too.  All she did was un-velcro something on her shirt, show something computerized, and then cover it again.  I just went with it.  ::shrug::

It's starting to annoy me how much Star Wars has the technology to bring some characters back to life when fatally wounded or killed but not others. I mean we have Darth Maul not dead,  Ming-Na not dead, Anakin not dead and even the fuckin Emperor not dead, but Qui Gone and Han Solo still totally dead.

4 hours ago, Dani said:

I am pretty sure that the toy companies could just repackage Boba Fett's ship with a new Mandolorian box or with an exclusive Baby Yoda figure and they would still sell a shit load of toysml

7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I hope not.  I love the Slave I ship, it IS classic and it’s iconic. 
I don’t want Mando to get the ship if it means Boba Fett dies.  I want the three of them to continue as a team.  Barring that, I want a Boba Fett spin-off series showing what happened to him... how he escaped the Sarlacc, how he lost the armour, what he and Fennec have been doing, and their continuing adventures.

I am not sure I want either of because the longer Boba Fett stays around the better the story they need to come up with for how he escaped the Sarlacc and why he stayed on a crappy planet like Tatooine for years when he had a perfectly good space ship.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, raven said:

Not me.  I don't mind the occasional visit but I don't want Fett & Fennec to team up permanently with Din.   They can fly off to their own show; I never gave a thought to Boba Fett after he went down the Sarlacc's gut and I'm still not interested.

I think I'm more upset about losing the Razor Crest than Grogu being nabbed.   The Razor Crest is pretty much dust at this point but I think the child will be back with Din even if that doesn't happen until S3.   

This is what I was hoping for with this show.   Grogu has control over his powers; he needs to learn control over his emotions and how not to exhaust himself, which may or may not come with time.  We don't know anything about his species.  He needs to learn the basics of right from wrong and IMO he needs his dad to help him with that.  Since Din's morals are somewhat questionable (or at least, they have been) I thought we had a good basis for an interesting story to tell, while exploring the worlds on the edge that no one (in this universe) cares about.

I agree with you, especially the bolded part.  I have no interest in Boba Fett being a major part of the cast.  I watch to see the relationship between Grogu and Din.  The other characters of the Extended Star Wars universe can float in and out, but the main story, for me is Grogu and Din.  I'm worried that the show will turn into just being aimed for the fans that have read every book and memorized minute bits of detail of them and all the comics, etc. and the show becomes inaccessible for new fans. 

• Love 8

Boba's supposed to be getting his own show so I doubt they want to tell any if his story on this one. 

This show is created by 2 massive star wars fans who have been bringing in aliens species and droids from the movies and books since S1 and giving them more to do. They were just not know characters.

For me I was more excited when Din went back and got Cara, Greef and Kwill along with the IG-11. I'm fine with Din and the child meeting friends and allies. It would get repetitive and boring if the show was only about Din and the child. We need other characters to make the show more interesting. 

I wasn't interested in Boba Fett, I never got his appeal. This show actually made his legend from the movies a reality. However I didn't recognize him or his ship. But that didn't take away my enjoyment of his scenes or the show. Mando needed allies, Mando got allies and he's going to recruit more and I'm here for it. This show is so much better than the recent movies. 

I'm also not someone that watched the animated shows for years. I watched both CW and Rebels this year. Basically after S1 of this show since I wanted more good Star Wars content to watch. 

• Love 8
On 12/5/2020 at 8:03 AM, NeenerNeener said:

I just rewatched the episode so I could see where the force field went down. I guess I also missed the little guy's meditation pose on the rock, too. It looked like he had the 1st two (of only 3) fingers on his right hand touching in a circle. I couldn't really tell about the left hand.

Grogu was definitely in the zone.

image.thumb.png.18c7ce601da7f8660a5fd24b4d9a8725.png

• Love 4
On 12/5/2020 at 2:03 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I just rewatched the episode so I could see where the force field went down. I guess I also missed the little guy's meditation pose on the rock, too. It looked like he had the 1st two (of only 3) fingers on his right hand touching in a circle. I couldn't really tell about the left hand.

That's the mudra of wisdom - not sure there's deeper meaning intended since it's probably the best known mudra in popular culture. Also: quite a few of the other mudras require five fingers.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2020 at 10:11 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

It's starting to annoy me how much Star Wars has the technology to bring some characters back to life when fatally wounded or killed but not others. I mean we have Darth Maul not dead,  Ming-Na not dead, Anakin not dead and even the fuckin Emperor not dead, but Qui Gone and Han Solo still totally dead.

I don't clearly recall Qui-Gon's death, but Han got lightsabered, fell off a high bridge into a power core or lava or something and then the whole planet exploded.  I'm okay that Han isn't just really dead, he's really most sincerely dead.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, johntfs said:

I don't clearly recall Qui-Gon's death, but Han got lightsabered, fell off a high bridge into a power core or lava or something and then the whole planet exploded.  I'm okay that Han isn't just really dead, he's really most sincerely dead.

I think it also helps that Harrison Ford said "I'm done."  I think I read somewhere that he asked to have Han killed off so that he didn't have to be in any more movies.  Maybe just a rumor, but it makes sense.  Harrison Ford moved on in the 80s; he didn't need to go back to Star Wars.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, johntfs said:

but Han got lightsabered, fell off a high bridge..

that had no railings... How did the Empire / First Order get anything built if all the construction crews die in workplace accidents?????

• LOL 7

I lack much of the historical detail that others have here, so I don't participate in the discussion a lot.  That said all I can think about is how sad it is about Grogu.  I keep picturing him in his cuffs in the cell :-(  Hopefully he will be freed next episode!

• Love 3

In this episode Moff Gideon went from an interesting bad guy I wanted to stick around to "no, that bastard needs to die in the finale" for me.  How evil do you have to be to cruelly taunt a baby and put shackles on him.   And who is evil enough to have baby size shackles on hand.

The baby was so groggy when he was captured I hope the little one doesn't believe Din just let him be captured and abandoned him.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, magdalene said:

In this episode Moff Gideon went from an interesting bad guy I wanted to stick around to "no, that bastard needs to die in the finale" for me.  How evil do you have to be to cruelly taunt a baby

that can literally kill you with a thought...

• Love 1
On 12/6/2020 at 10:37 PM, WatchrTina said:

This is going to evolve into The Seven Samurai, isn't it?

But they did that already in Season 1 when they first met Cara and the villagers and fought off the raiders.

With Din recruiting Mayfeld, I'm getting more of a scruffy Dirty Dozen vibe.

And speaking of the arbitrary way some characters die for good and others come back, I'm still pissed they killed Kuill -- he was a great character. And I bet HE could have rebuilt the Razor Crest from a few scattered atoms!

Edited by Gummo
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, paigow said:

that had no railings... How did the Empire / First Order get anything built if all the construction crews die in workplace accidents?????

The lack of guardrails is how you know it's Star Wars! No health & safety regulations in that universe whatsoever.

• LOL 7
On 12/4/2020 at 8:18 AM, SnoGirl said:

Boba’s fight was really impressive.

I'm re-watching now and yeah, that fight was AWESOME.  I found myself wondering what the armor worn by Stormtrooper stuntmen is made of because they get thrown around a LOT and if those suits are stiff in any way (like hard plastic) it seems like the risk of injury would be huge.  Maybe the suits are all carefully padded on the inside?  Or maybe all those fights are shot in a blue room and the boulders we see the stormtroopers bounce off of are really big blue pads that get replaced digitally afterward?  Or maybe the stormtroopers who take the big falls are all digital?  I really can't tell.  And that, frankly, is wonderful.

• Love 1

Like others, I found the opening scene to be extremely endearing:  Din affectionately chuckling at Grogu’s response to his name, the fact that they were essentially playing “catch” (my heart!), his little explanation to Grogu about Grogu needing to go with the Jedi if they want him, like a parent telling a kid not to be afraid of school, or the doctor, or whatever.  So sweet.

But why did Din “swear” right after Grogu actually completed the task of pulling the ball, like he (Din) was frustrated?  I wasn’t really tracking that.  Grogu was able to do what he asked, and Din quickly clarified that he thought Grogu did well and that he wasn’t mad.  Was he hoping that Grogu wouldn’t be able to do it?  I know a few seconds later Din said to Grogu that he couldn’t train him, because Grogu was too powerful.  Did it just strike him with clarity at the moment that Grogu “performed” that he had no idea how to help him?  I was a little unclear on the emotion in that moment.

I listen to a general TV podcast that has been taking a few minutes each week to talk Mandalorian, among other shows, which I was half-listening to before I binged Mando in the last week.  The podcasters have a terrible take, I think, now that I have seen the eps (and frankly makes me question their other hot takes!).  Their take (made in light of this episode and the next) was that they can’t get a true read on how Din feels about Grogu and that the show hasn’t established those feelings.

In my opinion, that opening scene here is a great example of the show doing the work.  Din is totally charmed by the kid, tells him how special he is, and then he’s talking about how Grogu will have to go with the Jedi, which comes across (to me) as him trying to talking himself into thinking that this is a good thing when his emotions are telling him something else.  I mean, even in the prior episode when he told Ahsoka that he would go get Grogu and bring him back to her (told her to wait there), he ended up rocking Grogu in his little crib, holding him for a few minutes after that, and generally procrastinating so long that Ahsoka came to find them.  He’s obviously all-in at this point, although I do agree the kidnapping aftermath reads oddly insofar as his willingness to dismiss Boba Fett and Fennec.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

But why did Din “swear” right after Grogu actually completed the task of pulling the ball, like he (Din) was frustrated?  I wasn’t really tracking that.  Grogu was able to do what he asked, and Din quickly clarified that he thought Grogu did well and that he wasn’t mad.  Was he hoping that Grogu wouldn’t be able to do it?  I know a few seconds later Din said to Grogu that he couldn’t train him, because Grogu was too powerful.  Did it just strike him with clarity at the moment that Grogu “performed” that he had no idea how to help him?  I was a little unclear on the emotion in that moment.

I read it as an outburst of excitement - he was all caught up in the moment and was overwhelmed and excited by the kid's success. Like a sport's fan when their team scores a goal! But he is usually so controlled that the outburst startled Grogu, hence his apology.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4