Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Neverland

I'll have to watch again (oh curses!), but could she have been talking of Hillary's brother?  I don't remember his first name, tho' I realize it probably wasn't Henry.

I just rewatched the scene. I misheard. Hilary said "Ed Spencer," who was Hilary's brother. So… never mind!

I read this and your other two messages about hidden messages.  That is very, very cool, and I had never heard of these!  We need a thread of hidden meanings in Morse/Endeavour so these are preserved!  Thank you! 

@jjj I don't know if the red letters deserve their own thread, but if you disagree, feel free to start one! They aren't part of the UK broadcast, it's just something PBS does, so you're never going to find any vital information or clues there. I can't recall how far it goes back, but I remember them in a previous style of credits where the text was scrolling.

Oh, it's these letters, and the Masonic symbols, etc.  If I think of enough special items I'll think up a thread!  Again, thanks for this! 

• Love 1

I know the red letters show up on Lewis. For example the episode in which David Soul guest starred, the red letters spelled "Starsky and Hutch". There was another Lewis, episode where the red letters spelled "Lonsdale" (the College Morse briefly attended).

One of the episodes for this series of Endeavour, the letters spelled "Guy Fawkes".

• Love 1

I was re-watching "Sway" last night and noticed two pre-references (not a word, but I can't think of anything better) to "Neverland." The stock clerk who is killed, Norman Parkis, is said to have been at Blenheim Vale as a boy and when Endeavour is sorting out the cufflink mystery he references the Book of Revelations. Jakes asks him what he's talking about; Endeavor says something like, "Didn't you go to Sunday school?" Jakes responds, "You don't want to know where I went." There are probably more things that I missed as I was admiring Endeavour's cheekbones. 

• Love 2

jamiesamons, maybe "foreshadowing"?  I had not noticed those references, but will pay attention when I re-watch!  I am hoping some of these are still on pbs.org -- I have not had time for any re-watching, and love the HD quality from the website. 

Oh, also for "easter eggs" -- I don't know if these qualify but John Thaw affected a limp in his right leg (I think it might have been Thaw's own limp).  Also, I do believe we're seeing Colin Dexter (the author) making cameos.  I've seen two.  (Perhaps this has already been mentioned?)  He was sitting in the bus when one of the strangle victims boarded (before her death, obviously) and also, in the beginning of the last one, he was sitting on a bench while the opening credits rolled.

ETA:  Because of the mention of the episode, this qualifies here as a post but perhaps an easter egg thread is a good idea?  I'm late to the game so I haven't noticed if someone started one after the last post before mine.

Edited by Captanne

Colin Dexter has made cameos in all of the original Morse episodes, and all of the Endeavour episodes so far. I believe he's also been in every Inspector Lewis episode.

And yes the original theme is very much "Morse" in morse code: when I first realized that I was like "DUH" to myself.....its so obvious when you realize it.

I was very slow to warm to the new Endeavour series:  Now I'm completely committed to it!

what a disgusting and cruel father. lying to his daughter on how they were "dreams", oh my God. and poor johnny, witnessing those trash policemen and them having the nerve at trying to get rid of him. he looked so frightened when strange ran after him.the climax and ended within 4 minutes, my head is spinning. what a snake deare was, taking the scarf! although i had him under my suspicions. the worst part was watching the affect of everyone. monica straining her eyes to see a tiny sign of her BF, the utter depressing aura in the thursday house, but especially peter, poor darling. now it makes sense, him flinching at his dead master. him sitting catatonic in the corner of the bar, trying not to feel but feeling nonetheless. so sad. sad all around.

------

BUT i'm glad i got the monica-morse moments though!

"What if I wasn't a policeman any more?"

"What would you do instead?"

"I don't know. Teacher, maybe. We could go abroad."

"We?"

"Why not? People do. Couples."

*intense blushing of monica ensues*

and him wearing the scarf (before it was stolen ofc) made him look SO CUTE. i loved every minute of seeing it on him. 

....which makes this ending that much more horrible. he was going to leave with monica, go see the world, possibly marry her...it would have been PERFECT! but now everything is messed up because of those trash pedophiles. their relationship will probably crumble. tragedies like this change a person a lot and can wreck the relationship. i'm NOT happy about this prediction! i love them so.

• Love 1