Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
gonzosgirrl

S15.E20: Carry On (Series Finale)

We keep talking about the point and their legacy, and the people saved, and the good done...

We didn't even get to see Sam driving those kids home. In the immediate context of that episode THEY are the whole point. They are Deans one last victory, and even 2 insignificant unnamed children would 100% be worth it to Dean. 

Where was the tiniest amount of time spent on what is effectively Deans dying wish. One, since you're about to be completely lost & destroyed you need to take that one next step, and that one next step is those kids there -they're what's important. Two, then promise me you'll be okay. 
Why didn't we get a short clip of them getting out of the car, and the bigger one leading the smaller one forwards back to their life while Sam watches them with some kind of heartbreaking expression on his face? Even on this smaller scale the entire point of Deans death was just glossed over in favour of Sam pain and the montages of nothingness.
And we hardly even noticed, since it has been so long since we had a victim of the week who was an actual fleshed out person, or even half of a metaphor or projection for the story. They're all just plot-chow and everything is meaningless.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

And weren't those kids now orphans?

No, mom was still alive, just tongue-less.  Which makes no sense whatsoever in any lore ever mentioned.  Ever.  

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, PinkChicken said:

Sam does say "one of the bodies" plural, but yeah she would have to be alive to draw something, so

I really did miss this. It makes no sense that vampires would leave perfectly good food behind alive and just take the kids. One more thing for the wtf list I guess.

• Like 8

So....out of a combination of being truly pissed off at the flatness of the ep, and waaaay too much time on my hands, I actually *counted* the number of words written in this episode.  It came out to approximately 1770.  That's *words,* folks, not sentences or lines, and includes all the little ones like "a", "the", "and", "but" and "no" (though I did skip some of the repeated words Dean said in his death speech, with the idea that that was an acting choice when he was struggling to get the words out, rather than written.)  Dean's death scene, btw, was a little over 500 words.  But the count also includes all the random people introducing themselves, as well as doomed parents telling their kids to go to bed.  Even if we count stage directions, it wouldn't add much to the number (I'm pretty sure it would be something like "Big fight with vamps in barn.  Sam kills a few, Dean gets pushed onto spike,") because most of the visual/action would be done by directing, editing, stunts and actors rather than scripted.   So the whole script as written (without all the spacing) would be about 3-5 pages long.

So what does this actually mean to me?  Two things (neither unexpected, but still really, *really* annoying):

1.  Dabb had no interest in writing anything emotional, thought-provoking, or even vaguely interesting, just standard paint-by-numbers, with the briefest possible scenes to get to his conclusion, and

2.  I have no idea how much he's paid per episode, but, just on a per-word basis, he's being paid *waaaaaay* too much.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

1.  Dabb had no interest in writing anything emotional, thought-provoking, or even vaguely interesting, just standard paint-by-numbers, with the briefest possible scenes to get to his conclusion, and

2.  I have no idea how much he's paid per episode, but, just on a per-word basis, he's being paid *waaaaaay* too much.

I used to think that he couldn't have spent more than 30 min. on his script but now I think it took him months to come up with anything at all he could write for the 2 stars of "his" show (that he pretty much ignored for 4 seasons) and this was all he could think of.

I'm guessing that Dabb was the most overpaid show runner in television.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, ahrtee said:

No, mom was still alive, just tongue-less.  Which makes no sense whatsoever in any lore ever mentioned.  Ever.  

They left tongueless adults. It was ment6in John's journal. It was their m.o.

Weird ass vamp mime cult.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PinkChicken said:

We keep talking about the point and their legacy, and the people saved, and the good done...

We didn't even get to see Sam driving those kids home. In the immediate context of that episode THEY are the whole point. They are Deans one last victory, and even 2 insignificant unnamed children would 100% be worth it to Dean. 

Where was the tiniest amount of time spent on what is effectively Deans dying wish. One, since you're about to be completely lost & destroyed you need to take that one next step, and that one next step is those kids there -they're what's important. Two, then promise me you'll be okay. 
Why didn't we get a short clip of them getting out of the car, and the bigger one leading the smaller one forwards back to their life while Sam watches them with some kind of heartbreaking expression on his face? Even on this smaller scale the entire point of Deans death was just glossed over in favour of Sam pain and the montages of nothingness.
And we hardly even noticed, since it has been so long since we had a victim of the week who was an actual fleshed out person, or even half of a metaphor or projection for the story. They're all just plot-chow and everything is meaningless.

Sam could have remembered them as kids... or other people that they... DEAN had saved because of the family business.

Yes... it could have been done so much better and I think DeN should have died fighting trying to save Sam's life. He should have died making the kill to save his brother.

Dabb deserves eternal shame for this script 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

Yes... it could have been done so much better and I think DeN should have died fighting trying to save Sam's life. He should have died making the kill to save his brother.

I think this is the one (and only) thing Badd got right. If Dean had died saving Sam, it would just be one more way to make it all about Sam and Sam's survivor's guilt. It is right that Dean die saving innocents - Badd just did an incredibly, well, bad job of writing it, both in execution and follow through.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I think this is the one (and only) thing Badd got right. If Dean had died saving Sam, it would just be one more way to make it all about Sam and Sam's survivor's guilt.

I agree.  Obviously it would have been in-character for him to die saving Sam if he had to.  But, I think would have been a bad way to go for quite a few reasons.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I think this is the one (and only) thing Badd got right. If Dean had died saving Sam, it would just be one more way to make it all about Sam and Sam's survivor's guilt. It is right that Dean die saving innocents - Badd just did an incredibly, well, bad job of writing it, both in execution and follow through.

Dean was the cliche of the fridged girlfriend in the episode anyway. Died a quick pointless death that was all about the male chracter's manpain and then got shelved as some "prize" for that character with no wants, ideas or mind of their own because it's not important.

The Pilot had Jessica, the Finale had Dean. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
  • Sad 5

So....out of a combination of being truly pissed off at the flatness of the ep, and waaaay too much time on my hands, I actually *counted* the number of words written in this episode.  It came out to approximately 1770.  That's *words,* folks, not sentences or lines...

So what does this actually mean to me?  Two things (neither unexpected, but still really, *really* annoying):

That is interesting. And yes, when I think back on it, there are few scenes with lines in them. The whole thing is padded with at least, what, three long-ass musical montages? And that's just what I can remember. I mean, come on, if you were in college and taking a screenwriting class, and turned in a project like this, I think you'd be lucky to get a C-, at best. If you have to pad your script that much, you're not doing it right.

I still have to wonder how much of this is Dabb, though, and how much is CW interference? We know of at least one scene that was cut - Alex said he shot a scene, and it wasn't used. Chances are high that Misha filmed a scene too - possibly with Jack, possibly not. Or worst case scenario, he quarantined for two weeks, and at the end of it Singer and Dabb said, 'thanks, we'll pay you, but we're not using you.'

I mean, if the script really didn't change that much - except for seeing all the cameos in heaven - then yeah, it's hard to imagine Dabb put more than 30 minutes of effort into it. The script is thin.

OTOH, if he had a script that wasn't padded with one musical montage after another, and the CW came in and said, 'cut this and this and this and this', then that actually would explain all the montage padding. Wouldn't make it better, but it would explain such a paper thin script.

I'm feeling there is blame on both sides for this flat one-dimensional finale - or possibly multiple sides if Singer and Dabb disagreed on points too.

Whatever the explanation is, it will remain a sad one-dimensional end to a 15 year journey.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

I just can't see it being network interference. The only thing they would possibly kibosh is Destiel, and if Badd wrote a script heavy enough on that that excluding those scenes would leave him with nothing but montages, then that is STILL on him. He's (presumably) not an idiot at least as far as knowing what he could get away with, and also presumably, a network that intent on censorship would have at least looked in on the filming before the 11th hour. I just don't buy it. It's far more plausible to me that Badd is just that shitty a storyteller.

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I just can't see it being network interference. The only thing they would possibly kibosh is Destiel, and if Badd wrote a script heavy enough on that that excluding those scenes would leave him with nothing but montages, then that is STILL on him. He's (presumably) not an idiot at least as far as knowing what he could get away with, and also presumably, a network that intent on censorship would have at least looked in on the filming before the 11th hour. I just don't buy it. It's far more plausible to me that Badd is just that shitty a storyteller.

Yup.

ETA:  They had the script in the works for well over a year.  They had it finalized and ready to shoot up until the shutdown in February/March.  They had six months to rewrite during the shutdown.  If the network had had any objections, they could have stopped things at any point along the way.  And aside from (I assume) occasionally asking some of the writers to tone down some of the subtext to avoid the kind of backlash they're going through now, AFAIK the network never really censored or cut anything (considering there were any number of things that should have been cut for bad taste and bad writing, if nothing else).

I think Dabb's original story was exactly the same as this, except with a large assortment of cameos and guest shots from everyone they've ever talked to over the last 15 years, in the hopes that fans would be so thrilled/nostalgic that they'd overlook the fact that there was actually no story.  And that's what Covid took away--the ability to distract the viewers with guest stars and overwhelming nostalgic bullshit.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2

4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I just can't see it being network interference. The only thing they would possibly kibosh is Destiel, and if Badd wrote a script heavy enough on that that excluding those scenes would leave him with nothing but montages, then that is STILL on him. 

ITA

I think Dabb's original story was exactly the same as this, except with a large assortment of cameos and guest shots from everyone they've ever talked to over the last 15 years, in the hopes that fans would be so thrilled/nostalgic that they'd overlook the fact that there was actually no story.  And that's what Covid took away--the ability to distract the viewers with guest stars and overwhelming nostalgic bullshit.  

It's still funny (in a depressing, almost hysterical kind of way) to me that this was accidentally what nearly 40% of us apparently wanted though - and the implication that a giant cameo party might have gone down just as badly but with fan roles flipped (especially if it had Jimmy in it, wtf lol).
Even though they didn't get anything good to do except the barn scene, this IS one of the few eps in recent times that is solely Winchester focused. Too bad Dabb has no idea how to write his own main characters. 

4 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

Dabb would have actually wrote less than 1700 words.  Because Jared and Jensen have both said they pretty much improvised the dialogue in the barn so Dabb doesn't even get credit for that.

All the callbacks I actually liked, Jared has said was him- "yeah well I don't want to".  A+ 
Dabb was apparently less than useless.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

I cannot believe how many people are just fine with Chuck being the reason the Winchesters were heroes... ergo this is why Dean dies on the hunt. 

They claim Dean never wanted anything but to die hunting and for Sam to have a life so he got what he wanted. And Sam gets a life... yeah!!!!

I relish saying that Sam stops hunting and stops the family business and the only difference from s 8 is that he doesn't have to hit a dog because he took Dean's. And he did it pre-season one too without the dog because he was at college. Sam only plays the hero of Dean is there. DEAN IS THE FAMILT BUSINESS.

Chuck did not write them. He wrote about them and he moved pieces around trying to influence things at certain points. They do not change because Chuck no longer writes. The only difference is he no longer has any influence.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm new here. Also, sorry for length.

Making God the big bad was very short sighted and not very creative IMO. They should have stuck with the "hands off" just setting up scenarios type of character if they had before.

But they went there, so it's up to the fans to figure out how it could fit into the overall narrative. Especially since the writers did not do a good job of it.

IMO, the Winchesters never had "plot armor." If they did, Faith would not have happened. Roy wouldn't have been guided (by Chuck/angels) to save Dean. Because sh*t happens to the best of us. If Dean had died instantly of electrocution in Faith, it would have been a heroic death. It would not have been because he was incompetent. He was focused on sighting and shooting the monster, not where he stepping. Chuck/Angels wanted to keep their pieces on the board. (Sorry not quoting whoever said this.)

When I watched the finale, it seemed to me that there was more of a time lapse than a few days. I know a lot of people say it was only a few days, but that seems unrealistic. I think some else also pointed this out. (I would quote that comment if I remembered where it was.)

It had to be a few months if not a year. So this was not their first hunt post Chuck, because:

It took time for the brothers to mourn. For Cas, Jack, and probably Eileen. Jack possibly did not bring back resurrected people.

It took time to get into a routine that was "normal." 8 am alarm, breakfast, washing clothes, washing dishes, cleaning guns, checking for stuff online, all by 10 am. Anyone really think they started a week later?

Dean seemed to be drinking less, only beer bottles in his room.

The hunts also seemed to be less. Whatever Jack did, seems to have limited the monsters to, what I call "corrupted human dna" monsters (vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, rawheads, wendigos, etc). And other hunters were out there.

Whatever the application/contract was, it does not take that long to fill it out an application or accept a contract, but it would take a while for Dean to get into a headspace where he wanted to apply and makes the decision to follow through. I refuse to believe he woke up a week after everything went down and decided to apply for a job (or whatever).

Going to a pie festival? A week later? Casually saying they died for us, so we should just enjoy life! Have some pie! Yes, Dean suppresses everything, but even Sam? He plays a prank on his brother?

As for Dean dying that way, it makes sense in the way that "bad things happen to good people" through no fault of their own. Like in Faith. No one is writing their story. That is why Dean was resigned to it. He was ready to live, he did "not think that was the day".

Do I wish Dabb had given him a heroic death like Dean pushes the children out of the way as he falls onto the hook? Of course! But what can you do?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

I cannot believe how many people are just fine with Chuck being the reason the Winchesters were heroes... ergo this is why Dean dies on the hunt. 

They claim Dean never wanted anything but to die hunting and for Sam to have a life so he got what he wanted. And Sam gets a life... yeah!!!!

I relish saying that Sam stops hunting and stops the family business and the only difference from s 8 is that he doesn't have to hit a dog because he took Dean's. And he did it pre-season one too without the dog because he was at college. Sam only plays the hero of Dean is there. DEAN IS THE FAMILT BUSINESS.

Chuck did not write them. He wrote about them and he moved pieces around trying to influence things at certain points. They do not change because Chuck no longer writes. The only difference is he no longer has any influence.

Maybe but they had 2 episodes dealing with the Winchester's losing their "magic" and then winning it back in a pool game.  Dabb managed to destroy 11 seasons (the last 4 don't count) of Supernatural during his way too long tenure. What makes me think that the Winchesters lost their mojo in the finale was that they weren't very smart in the final hunt. Just a few minutes before the Barn Sam shot the vamp with DMB. Why show that and then have the brothers go into the barn with just machete's? I know that Dabb has a hard time following his own scripts but that was a pretty glaring in your face mistake for the brothers (and even Dabb) to make. I can only surmise that he wrote that scene to follow through with his original premise for the season that the Winchesters never had any agency. They were manipulated their entire lives (even Dean  wanted off the hamster wheel so bad he almost shot his brother) by Chuck. When they finally did get "free" from the puppet master the first hunt (at least that we see) they go in reckless and unprepared. Dean dies....pretty much episode/series over.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, MAK said:

When I watched the finale, it seemed to me that there was more of a time lapse than a few days. I know a lot of people say it was only a few days, but that seems unrealistic. I think some else also pointed this out. (I would quote that comment if I remembered where it was.)

I disagree. IMO it's more unrealistic to guess that more than a few weeks at most have passed. Otherwise, sadface-Sam bringing up Cas and Jack on a random day a year down the road? Weird. It's not like eating pie at a small town festival is something they were likely to have shared at any time. And Dean's reaction? Dean didn't weep and moan about his mother at her wake. He did his mourning in private, and I expect he did for his friend/brother Castiel, too. But at that moment, Sam needed him to be the big brother and buck him up. That's very much in character, IMO.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I disagree. IMO it's more unrealistic to guess that more than a few weeks at most have passed. Otherwise, sadface-Sam bringing up Cas and Jack on a random day a year down the road? Weird. It's not like eating pie at a small town festival is something they were likely to have shared at any time. And Dean's reaction? Dean didn't weep and moan about his mother at her wake. He did his mourning in private, and I expect he did for his friend/brother Castiel, too. But at that moment, Sam needed him to be the big brother and buck him up. That's very much in character, IMO.

I agree with most of this. I don't think they cried in each other's arms. They grieve very differently.  Dean probably got drunk a lot and went out on long drives a lot. Sam probably talked with Jody/Donna, and read a lot of books.

But even Sam didn't seem that sad. It was more like "Wow, here we are sitting and enjoying ourselves. But I miss Cas and Jack." It was more like a memory of grief. 

Also, they stumbled upon the hunt. They went there for pie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MAK said:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm new here. Also, sorry for length.

Making God the big bad was very short sighted and not very creative IMO. They should have stuck with the "hands off" just setting up scenarios type of character if they had before.

But they went there, so it's up to the fans to figure out how it could fit into the overall narrative. Especially since the writers did not do a good job of it.

IMO, the Winchesters never had "plot armor." If they did, Faith would not have happened. Roy wouldn't have been guided (by Chuck/angels) to save Dean. Because sh*t happens to the best of us. If Dean had died instantly of electrocution in Faith, it would have been a heroic death. It would not have been because he was incompetent. He was focused on sighting and shooting the monster, not where he stepping. Chuck/Angels wanted to keep their pieces on the board. (Sorry not quoting whoever said this.)

It had to be a few months if not a year. So this was not their first hunt post Chuck, because:

It took time for the brothers to mourn. For Cas, Jack, and probably Eileen. Jack possibly did not bring back resurrected people.

It took time to get into a routine that was "normal." 8 am alarm, breakfast, washing clothes, washing dishes, cleaning guns, checking for stuff online, all by 10 am. Anyone really think they started a week later?

Dean seemed to be drinking less, only beer bottles in his room.

The hunts also seemed to be less. Whatever Jack did, seems to have limited the monsters to, what I call "corrupted human dna" monsters (vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, rawheads, wendigos, etc). And other hunters were out there.

Whatever the application/contract was, it does not take that long to fill it out an application or accept a contract, but it would take a while for Dean to get into a headspace where he wanted to apply and makes the decision to follow through. I refuse to believe he woke up a week after everything went down and decided to apply for a job (or whatever).

Going to a pie festival? A week later? Casually saying they died for us, so we should just enjoy life! Have some pie! Yes, Dean suppresses everything, but even Sam? He plays a prank on his brother?

As for Dean dying that way, it makes sense in the way that "bad things happen to good people" through no fault of their own. Like in Faith. No one is writing their story. That is why Dean was resigned to it. He was ready to live, he did "not think that was the day".

Do I wish Dabb had given him a heroic death like Dean pushes the children out of the way as he falls onto the hook? Of course! But what can you do?

It doesn't take that long to set up a routine.  It really didn't seem like more than a couple weeks at most.  And actually yeah we've seen them have "fun" not long after people have died before.  They were hardly partying. Like MOST people they don't mourn every minute of every day. Heck people smile at wakes.  It doesn't mean they don't miss the person and might not cry themselves to sleep that night.

The pie festival seemed like it was an "event" for Dean, like "wow we can just go and DO THIS..."  Not like it was something he was used to being able to just go and do.

IMO the whole "writing their story thing" is such a crock.  It doesn't fit with the show, it doesn't even really fit with what happened.  Chuck was never WRITING their story.  They made their own choices and decisions, they trained their whole lives.  He set up the pieces and then he WROTE about what they did.  But near the end rather than being satisfied with just writing and making doing a little nudge, he wanted more and more control and he started to get angry he couldn't control them.  But he never really had all that much control to begin with.

This isn't lack of plot armor, this is just bad writing by Andrew Dabb.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

Personally, I put the pie thing in the same basket of "bonuses" like Dean choosing the ghoul case in Dodge city, or getting excited about a case involving strippers, or Sam insisting on investigating the Borden house, or that one ep that starts with him using a dating app but then plot twist she's a hooker for a demon and he knew the entire time (and apparently so did Sam despite ribbing him about it earlier, since he has impeccable timing to come help).
They didn't really bridge the gap very well, but I assumed they knew on the way there that there was both pie AND a case. 

The only real indicators of time we have are: 

- The fact that Miracle is still alive (assuming its even the same dog and not one they just decided to get that looks the same - wouldn't its owners have been saved by Jack?)
- How long you want to hang on the job application decision/process
- How you want to read how weird their dialogue was (and I agree with gonzosgirrl plus its just clunky exposition to let us know they didn't completely forget about their other characters)
- their routine, but I would argue that desperately clinging to routine is one of their responses to grief, and they would be less destructive about it this time since they did just win against god, and still have each other in one piece for once.

That is to say, basically none at all.

Edited by PinkChicken
  • Like 5

Forgive me if this is a stupid question (as I've said before, I'm not on any SM so I only read about things here or by Googling) but who saw/said that the papers on Dean's desk were a job application?  I know it was said that someone capped and enlarged the image, but that image hasn't shown up anywhere that I can find, but all of a sudden it's taken as fact.  

Has anyone, in fact, actually seen that screen cap?  Or did someone come up with the idea and everyone ran with it (since they were trying to figure out the time gap at the beginning of the ep)?  Just curious.  I'd love to see the actual image.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

58 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question (as I've said before, I'm not on any SM so I only read about things here or by Googling) but who saw/said that the papers on Dean's desk were a job application?  I know it was said that someone capped and enlarged the image, but that image hasn't shown up anywhere that I can find, but all of a sudden it's taken as fact.  

Has anyone, in fact, actually seen that screen cap?  Or did someone come up with the idea and everyone ran with it (since they were trying to figure out the time gap at the beginning of the ep)?  Just curious.  I'd love to see the actual image.  

Not a stupid question. These are the tweets I have seen shared the most. NOTE the clearer page of text is an example only not some magically enhanced or leaked version of the actual document, they're just trying to show people that its a pretty standard format for job listings.  

The only words I could ever make out are "Minimum Requirements" but there may be other screengrabs going around because I have seen some people absolutely certain it was law enforcement, firefighting, or army because of some of the dot points they would quote.

Edited by PinkChicken
  • Useful 1

25 minutes ago, PinkChicken said:

Not a stupid question. These are the tweets I have seen shared the most. NOTE the clearer page of text is an example only not some magically enhanced or leaked version of the actual document, they're just trying to show people that its a pretty standard format for job listings.  

The only words I could ever make out are "Minimum Requirements" but there may be other screengrabs going around because I have seen some people absolutely certain it was law enforcement, firefighting, or army because of some of the dot points they would quote.

I don't know what the person in the last tweet is trying to say.  It was signed so it wasn't just a listing, more likely it was a job CONTRACT, which would have listed job requirements and expectations, which actually means he probably already had the job.

I saw one on tumblr that did look like a cleared up version of the one on Dean's desk, of course now I can't find it again.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

6 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

IMO the whole "writing their story thing" is such a crock.  It doesn't fit with the show, it doesn't even really fit with what happened.  Chuck was never WRITING their story.  They made their own choices and decisions, they trained their whole lives.  He set up the pieces and then he WROTE about what they did.  But near the end rather than being satisfied with just writing and making doing a little nudge, he wanted more and more control and he started to get angry he couldn't control them.  But he never really had all that much control to begin with.

100% agree with this!

6 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

100% agree with this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PinkChicken said:

Thanks!

On 12/4/2020 at 9:30 AM, ahrtee said:

Would it sadder if this was in fact an application for a small business or an application for a liquor license? They might have been planning to start a bar.

• Sad 1