Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
kariyaki

S17.E03: My Happy Ending

Recommended Posts

Mama Ortiz, as someone who has had real experience in the trenches, telling what's what to Korachik was a thing of beauty.

52 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Amelia & Linc should have just named the kid Shephard Lincoln.

"Shep" for short? Too easily teased

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I guess I'm in the minority that likes McWidow. If they are going to get together, I'm glad that there's a build-up without them just having sex in an on-call room. They seem to respect each other, too. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, leighdear said:

 

Koracik has just degenerated into a pathetic, groveling worm.  He can't do a damn thing but whine and snivel about loving Teddy.  He needs to go, he's already outstayed his welcome.  Every time he's on the screen, he's just replaying his role as Richard on "Ally McBeal".  Seriously, his personality, dialogue and mannerisms are exactly the same.  Some writer just watched re-runs & cut/pasted his Lawyer speechifying into Doctor speechifying. 

 

It's such a waste of the actor's talent and here when Owen told him he was COVID positive, he was like: "OK, very funny." Get over yourself Tom. Meredith got it after constant working with COVID patients and you are lucky you don't have any signs of it. Even more his: "I teach people how to cut people open and fix them." Just add to the show's constant: "The attending/senior doctors are bad teachers unless your name is Richard." The one doctor saying he had to go through a year of training even though he is a very experience doctor was very real. He might know his way around an OR and patient care, but he doesn't know the system of the US hospitals. Of course, I like how Tom just drops these new interns and doesn't give them "basic training" so of course he didn't how to enter it in the computer or how the former social worker was giving better advice on handle the COVID situation than a person who has seen a lot of shit in the last 17 years the show has been on the air. You just go: "Come on, are you doctors or middle school kids in the middle of puberty?"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Anela said:

I guess I'm in the minority that likes McWidow. If they are going to get together, I'm glad that there's a build-up without them just having sex in an on-call room. They seem to respect each other, too. 

I like him too.  He's a grown-ass man that doesn't seem to be slobbering over every female, having a dick measuring contest with every male and has no visible, major malfunctions, delusions of grandeur or outward red flags. 

Of course, that means they'll kill him off or he'll go insane.  Flip a coin.  

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What the heck did I miss?  What did they say about this "mysterious guest star" everyone is talking about here?  Or was that something in the previews for next week?  Can we talk about those in the episode thread?  I can never remember - different shows seem to have different rules.  I just watched on Hulu and either I zoned out for a minute or it wasn't in the episode... help?

Sorry, but you missed the previews for next week (actually, 2 weeks, no show on Thanksgiving).  I think we can talk about them in this thread because they air directly after the current episode when watching in real time on ABC.  IMO, it's not a spoiler, if it's what ABC is airing as the promo.  So people so far have just mentioned who they want it to be - no one knows for sure.  Nothing is a spoiler, just hopeful guesses.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

I like him too.  He's a grown-ass man that doesn't seem to be slobbering over every female, having a dick measuring contest with every male and has no visible, major malfunctions, delusions of grandeur or outward red flags. 

Of course, that means they'll kill him off or he'll go insane.  Flip a coin.  

Right, he moved on from his wife's death and his boys are old enough to where he is still involved, but doesn't need extended family to be live in babysitters. Of course that's just set up for some "drama" to come his way. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Sorry, but you missed the previews for next week (actually, 2 weeks, no show on Thanksgiving).  I think we can talk about them in this thread because they air directly after the current episode when watching in real time on ABC.  IMO, it's not a spoiler, if it's what ABC is airing as the promo.  So people so far have just mentioned who they want it to be - no one knows for sure.  Nothing is a spoiler, just hopeful guesses.

Haha - I just realized my DVR picked up the last minute or so of the episode, so I was able to watch the preview after all.  Interesting that almost every comment so far has been about the previews rather than the episode!

And no worries about spoilers - I don't have a problem with whatever they put in the "next week" preview, I was just confused that everyone was focusing on something I hadn't seen!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, readster said:

Right, he moved on from his wife's death and his boys are old enough to where he is still involved, but doesn't need extended family to be live in babysitters. Of course that's just set up for some "drama" to come his way. 

MCWIDOW is awesome to me... Except for the fact that he's always AROUND Meredith.. In her orbit... Its just weird... And off-putting besides that he's a winner

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/20/2020 at 3:29 PM, Shellie said:

Did one of the doctors say something about dialysis for the woman with the baby attached to the liver?  Dialysis??

I've only ever heard of dialysis for kidney disease but I just googled and liver dialysis is a thing.

Just at the scene where she talks to the kids and Amelia wants to talk about her directives in case she dies...uh, maybe that's not something you want to talk about in front of the young children?

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

i am also over Derek.   I can't imagine they would kill her off, so i just want her to start getting better.  

I wouldn't think her next visitor would be Ellis.  I think it would be George or Lexie.  

This  show might be a bit too much reality for me.  I love Grey's and a lot of medical drama, but this seaon, might be too much.     But anyway, I"m glad it's back.  I guess if it's too much right now, I'll just take a break from Grey's and shows like it.  

Edited by mishap
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/19/2020 at 10:35 PM, statsgirl said:

Meredith's "Give the ventilator to someone else" really bothered me.* Setting aside that she's an award-winning surgeon with most of her career still to go, she's the single parent of three young children

Exactly. What is wrong with her? Martyr Meredith is the most slappable of all the Meredith iterations.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:29 PM, Shellie said:

I was delighted to see Derek at first, but for me, the problem is that the communication has gotten boring. I'm sure for Meredith, it's beyond thrilling, but about all he does is stand there with a big toothy grin.  

I’m already over Grinning Derek. And while I realize the actor can’t help aging even though the character didn’t, I keep waiting for Meredith to wonder why her husband now looks so old and emaciated.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:16 AM, Anela said:

I guess I'm in the minority that likes McWidow. If they are going to get together, I'm glad that there's a build-up without them just having sex in an on-call room. They seem to respect each other, too. 

I’m not enamored with McWidow, but I don’t dislike him. He’s at least a big improvement over the weird, sexless Meredith/DeLuca dynamic. She treated Andrew like a protégé or little brother, not a boyfriend. So if nothing else, McWidow is more her equal. 

Maybe the dead returnee will be Denny.  There must still be a message or two he forgot to deliver in one of his 1,000 previous back-from-the-grave appearances.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

I can’t see the next visitor being George, partly because he has been off the show so many years, how many fans will know who he is or even recognize him as I am sure he has changed  in the last decade.   I think it is either Mark or Ellis.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

52 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I can’t see the next visitor being George, partly because he has been off the show so many years, how many fans will know who he is or even recognize him as I am sure he has changed  in the last decade.   I think it is either Mark or Ellis.  

Mark and Meredith didn't really have much of a relationship, did they? I can't remember them ever sharing a scene, it doesn't seem like it would be meaningful for him to show up in Meredith's unconscious beach world.

Lexie died at the same time as Mark, so that seems more likely. They have talked about George in recent years though, so it wouldn't be totally strange.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Mark and Meredith didn't really have much of a relationship, did they? I can't remember them ever sharing a scene, it doesn't seem like it would be meaningful for him to show up in Meredith's unconscious beach world.

Lexie died at the same time as Mark, so that seems more likely. They have talked about George in recent years though, so it wouldn't be totally strange.

 

What was her relationship to Denny when he showed up in her death-dream from the ferry accident?  Not much.  

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mark.  But Lexie sounds logical.  Or George.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Koracik has been wasted with this Teddy drama. By the sounds of it she’s blanked him since Owen found out about them and when she finally approaches him it’s to whinge about what an awful time she’s having? Please Teddy. Just die.

The interns could have been a fun storyline for him With some character growth but as usual it’s gets fobbed off so Richard can have the usual repetitive boring ass speech because he’s apparently the only one who can teach. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/20/2020 at 10:59 PM, madpsych78 said:

There always seems to be one intern among the group of interns that the show features. Mer, Lexie, Jo, DeLuca, and Glasses, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is Mama Ortiz this time. I dig her so far.

Plus Lisa Vidal is a well-known actress. She wouldn't be hired to just be a nameless/faceless intern. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

 

Maybe the dead returnee will be Denny.  There must still be a message or two he forgot to deliver in one of his 1,000 previous back-from-the-grave appearances.

When I last posted, I almost added, "I hope it isn't Denny." 

It would be weird if they brought Izzie back, after sending Alex off to be with her. Didn't she recover from cancer for a second time? With covid surging all over the place, it would make more sense for her to stay on her farm, in the middle of nowhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I can’t see the next visitor being George, partly because he has been off the show so many years, how many fans will know who he is or even recognize him as I am sure he has changed  in the last decade.   I think it is either Mark or Ellis.  

I'd like to see Mark and Lexie as a happy couple, assuring Meredith that Derek will indeed be there when she's ready.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Lincoln complaining about Meredith’s crowded house and Maggie needing a tent?  These are doctors. For a zillion seasons the show has convinced us they are the most prestigious surgeons in the universe.  However, they don’t seem to have the means to buy their own home ??  Yeah, that makes sense. I can hear it now...”But we’re SISTERS.....”

I like McWidow but don’t like him for Meredith.  But that’s where they’re going, right?

I know it’s awful to say but the pounding of COVID in tv shows is wearing me down.  I don’t know what else they can do but still...

Sure, Patrick Dempsey looks way older but so does Ellen Pompeo. If they wanted dead young looking Derek they should have used old film.
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Who says it has to be someone on the beach "aka dead"? Why can't it be Christina over zoom talking to Mer trying to get her to wake up? That's the theory I am going with. 

And what the heck does "it's not sand" mean? 

I also like Mama Ortiz. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/30/2020 at 12:58 AM, limecoke said:

Lincoln complaining about Meredith’s crowded house and Maggie needing a tent?  These are doctors. For a zillion seasons the show has convinced us they are the most prestigious surgeons in the universe.  However, they don’t seem to have the means to buy their own home ??  Yeah, that makes sense. I can hear it now...”But we’re SISTERS.....”

I like McWidow but don’t like him for Meredith.  But that’s where they’re going, right?

I know it’s awful to say but the pounding of COVID in tv shows is wearing me down.  I don’t know what else they can do but still...

Sure, Patrick Dempsey looks way older but so does Ellen Pompeo. If they wanted dead young looking Derek they should have used old film.
 

This. Haha. I really don't get it,but I'm always trying to figure it out. Maybe it's supposed to be a "meeting point" outside of the hospital or something like that.🤔🤔 

BTW: The most prestigious surgeons have left the show loooooong ago.😎 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Spritti12 said:

This. Haha. I really don't get it,but I'm always trying to figure it out. Maybe it's supposed to be a "meeting point" outside of the hospital or something like that.🤔🤔 

BTW: The most prestigious surgeons have left the show loooooong ago.😎 

Derek and Addison had money out the wazoo - at one point, they owned a brownstone in Manhattan, a house in the Hamptons, Derek's 300 acres in Seattle, and his classic Land Rover Defender.  Meredith probably has money too, it's just not important to her so it's not important to the show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Derek and Addison had money out the wazoo - at one point, they owned a brownstone in Manhattan, a house in the Hamptons, Derek's 300 acres in Seattle, and his classic Land Rover Defender.  Meredith probably has money too, it's just not important to her so it's not important to the show.

It's not about the importance of money. I'm pretty sure that Meredith has money,not just because she is a pretty good surgeon herself, but because her mom might have left money for her,too. I think many people are just confused why the surgeons on Grey's rather share homes and houses with each other (even the ones who aren't interns and have to pay off study loans) when they could easily afford their own place. 

My theory is that the writers are unable to resist a classic TV trope of forcing characters together by having them be roommates. In real life, people in their 30s and 40s who make good livings would never live with their co-workers, but it provides a convenient way to get people in the same room when group exposition needs to be provided or a variety of reactions to some shocking news is needed.

But I also get that the surgeons on Greys spend more time in the hospital than anywhere else so why get a huge place for themselves? 

Addison and Derek had their own practices back in New York and since I watched PP I know that the number of patients and working hours is much lower when you work in a practice. On PP every character had their own house and "the meeting point" was either the practice or Addisons house.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Spritti12 said:

My theory is that the writers are unable to resist a classic TV trope of forcing characters together by having them be roommates. In real life, people in their 30s and 40s who make good livings would never live with their co-workers, but it provides a convenient way to get people in the same room when group exposition needs to be provided or a variety of reactions to some shocking news is needed.

In terms of writing, it gives them more score to show other aspects of the characters. Personal things should be discussed better at home than in the workplace, although that has never stopped Grey's. It's also more interesting to switch up sets from just the OR, hospital room, break room and outside.

In terms of Meredith specifically, Amelia and Maggie take on a lot of the child care as did DeLuca when he was with Meredith. It lets Meredith have time to work late at the hospital or immerse herself in research(more interesting for the audience)  without the audience worrying if her children have been abandoned and Zola is making mac & cheese or peanut butter sandwiches attempting to feed the younger ones.  I see Amelia and Maggie more in scenes taking care of Meredith's kids than I do Mere.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/2/2020 at 11:26 AM, Spritti12 said:

It's not about the importance of money. I'm pretty sure that Meredith has money,not just because she is a pretty good surgeon herself, but because her mom might have left money for her,too. I think many people are just confused why the surgeons on Grey's rather share homes and houses with each other (even the ones who aren't interns and have to pay off study loans) when they could easily afford their own place. 

My theory is that the writers are unable to resist a classic TV trope of forcing characters together by having them be roommates. In real life, people in their 30s and 40s who make good livings would never live with their co-workers, but it provides a convenient way to get people in the same room when group exposition needs to be provided or a variety of reactions to some shocking news is needed.

But I also get that the surgeons on Greys spend more time in the hospital than anywhere else so why get a huge place for themselves? 

Addison and Derek had their own practices back in New York and since I watched PP I know that the number of patients and working hours is much lower when you work in a practice. On PP every character had their own house and "the meeting point" was either the practice or Addisons house.

My comment was really only in response to the speculation about why don't they have enough money to afford their own places.  Sorry, maybe I quoted the wrong comment.

Meredith said her house would be the place where strays are always welcome.  That was established early in season 1 and has been a theme throughout the whole show.  It's also pretty much a no-brainer that it's necessary for the plot and just for the ease of writing a TV show.  I don't think it happens nearly as often in reality, but it's also helpful to have multiple responsible adults around to take care of the children, for example when Meredith would be called in for an emergency in the middle of the night.  She can just leave knowing that her children aren't alone - and then us viewers have one less thing to criticize.  "Why is she just leaving her toddler children alone in the middle of the night!?!"  She's not. 😉

It's all a fictional TV show... we just have to go with it. 

Edited by FnkyChkn34 · Reason: fixed typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

My comment was really only in response to the speculation about why don't they have enough money to afford their own places.  Sorry, maybe I quoted the wrong comment.

Meredith said her house would the place where strays are always welcome.  That was established early in season 1 and has been a theme throughout the whole show.  It's also pretty much a no-brainer that it's necessary for the plot and just for the ease of writing a TV show.  I don't think it happens nearly as often in reality, but it's also helpful to have multiple responsible adults around to take care of the children, for example when Meredith would be called in for an emergency in the middle of the night.  She can just leave knowing that her children aren't alone - and then us viewers have one less thing to criticize.  "Why is she just leaving her toddler children alone in the middle of the night!?!"  She's not. 😉

It's all a fictional TV show... we just have to go with it. 

I agree with you on the bolted part. Viewers tend to criticize alot...especially when it comes to kids...but I've read about fans criticizing Meredith for not spending enough time with her kids in the first place and that leaving them with other surgeons,who "in reality" would be pretty much busy themselves (especially with being Department heads) isn't realistic. 

But I see it the way you do: we just have to go with it. It's a TV show. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

I thought more people would be commenting on the Linc-Amelia scene at the end. More stripping Linc, please!

 

I thought that scene was incredibly sexy, even with it being relatively short and really offbeat (mutual masturbation while standing naked in the backyard, where the neighbors could see and while four children sleep in the house? Okie dokie!) And Linc was really hot, but, damn, so was Amelia!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m potentially going to sound incredibly naive here, but could somebody PLEASE enlighten me as to what on earth Helm meant by “37 an hour” when talking about the sex therapist?? Surely she didn’t mean ‘O’? 

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/28/2020 at 7:09 PM, Tallulah7606 said:

I’m potentially going to sound incredibly naive here, but could somebody PLEASE enlighten me as to what on earth Helm meant by “37 an hour” when talking about the sex therapist?? Surely she didn’t mean ‘O’? 

That's the only thing that I took it to mean, but maybe we're both naive. 😉 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size