Type keyword(s) to search

The Chase (2021) - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

On 2/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, Driad said:

Who chooses the higher and lower amounts to offer: the chaser or producers?  Ken offered quite different amounts to two contestants who each had $70,000.

How often does a contestant choose the higher or lower amount of money?

I’ve wondered also if the amts are pre planned or the chasers make them up. 

i don’t think I’ve seen a contestant choose the lower Amt,  it’s usually the Amt they’ve won.  I think they choose the higher if they are more of a risk taker.  If it were me, I’d prob choose the higher against the beast since he struggles a bit in that round. 

• Love 1

I have never seen previous incarnations of the show and know nothing of Mark “The Beast” other than what I’ve seen here. But based on his nickname alone, I would have expected a stronger competitor.

He reminds me of a beast from Where The Wild Things Are: Presents as scary, but in reality cute and cuddly.

153363C0-69BD-480E-9177-FDE6D19984A4.jpeg.663c2d1dce75e0896adfe9c8a6df34e2.jpeg

Let the wild rumpus begin!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 2/20/2022 at 4:38 AM, Diana Berry said:

I’ve wondered also if the amts are pre planned or the chasers make them up. 

i don’t think I’ve seen a contestant choose the lower Amt,  it’s usually the Amt they’ve won.  I think they choose the higher if they are more of a risk taker.  If it were me, I’d prob choose the higher against the beast since he struggles a bit in that round. 

One difference in the daytime version is that overall dollar amounts are lower, so the low offer was a reasonable amount less than the middle, and sometimes players took it. In the ABC version the low offers are ridiculously low vs what the player has “earned”, so no one takes them. The producers are obviously looking for people to make riskier bets

• Love 2
On 2/22/2022 at 1:46 PM, opus said:

I remember once the lower offer being taken on the ABC version

Yes, this has happened at least once. Earning barely-suppressed scorn from James. (Me too, tbh. Why go on a game show if you’re going to be a chicken? It’s all found money.)

• Love 1

My favorite part of the show is the Chasers Lounge. I love the guys heckling each other like Statler and Waldorf. In fact, I'd love to see an entire episode with commentary from the Chasers Lounge.

I always love when they all erupt in cheers when a contestant takes the high offer. Too bad it doesn't happen that often.

• Love 6
On 3/2/2022 at 11:11 PM, Prairie Rose said:

My favorite part of the show is the Chasers Lounge. I love the guys heckling each other like Statler and Waldorf. In fact, I'd love to see an entire episode with commentary from the Chasers Lounge.

Mine as well. The last time Ken was chaser I can't remember what he said or did, but I laughed so hard when James said "WTH KEN!" from the Chasers Lounge.

• LOL 2

Back on May 3, with changes...

On the Sara Haines-hosted The Chase, Ken Jennings and Mark “The Beast” Labbett will step down as Chasers, making way for Victoria Groce (“The Queen” of all things trivia), speed-quiz titan Brandon “The Lightning Bolt” Blackwell and Jeopardy! vet Buzzy Cohen, who will join returning Chasers Brad Rutter and James Holzhauer.

https://tvline.com/2022/03/15/the-chase-season-3-buzzy-cohen-in-jennings-labbett-out/

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, opus said:

Back on May 3, with changes...

On the Sara Haines-hosted The Chase, Ken Jennings and Mark “The Beast” Labbett will step down as Chasers, making way for Victoria Groce (“The Queen” of all things trivia), speed-quiz titan Brandon “The Lightning Bolt” Blackwell and Jeopardy! vet Buzzy Cohen, who will join returning Chasers Brad Rutter and James Holzhauer.

https://tvline.com/2022/03/15/the-chase-season-3-buzzy-cohen-in-jennings-labbett-out/

Not surprised to lose both Ken and Mark. Ken is busybusybusy, and Mark... Well, I've been worried about him this season. Whatever the reasons they're leaving, I'll miss them both.

No idea who Victoria or Brandon are - And, still, with the stupid nicknames! - so that's a wait and see, but I'm happy we'll be getting Buzzy, especially since it's not likely he's getting the Jeopardy gig. Which I wouldn't have minded!

• Love 3

They should switch Buzzy and Brad's nicknames, since not only does "the buzzsaw" make more sense for a man called "Buzzy", but because - if this thread is anything to go by - Brad is the chaser everyone refers to as their game show boyfriend haha.

Edited by Alice Mudgarden
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

These cheesy nicknames are like the ones you give to third rate comic villains because all the good ones have been taken.     

Also, 5 Chasers now?   A season is only like 8 or 9 episodes so are some of them only going to appear once?

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 5

Yeah, I agree. Four Chasers was pushing it, five is overkill. And too bad the show didn't take this opportunity of switching out Chasers to quietly jettison the nickname gimmick. I guess they're suffering under the delusion that the gimmick works.

• Love 5
On 3/15/2022 at 5:55 PM, illdoc said:

Isn't that Brad's nickname?

Brad is the Buzzsaw. (Or as @Alice Mudgarden noted, my TV Game Show Boyfriend. But that may be too much of a mouthful for the announcer.)

So maybe Buzzy should be the Brad Nailer, just to keep things even. 

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 4
On 3/15/2022 at 2:11 PM, Fellaway said:

Not surprised to lose both Ken and Mark. Ken is busybusybusy, and Mark... Well, I've been worried about him this season. Whatever the reasons they're leaving, I'll miss them both.

No idea who Victoria or Brandon are - And, still, with the stupid nicknames! - so that's a wait and see, but I'm happy we'll be getting Buzzy, especially since it's not likely he's getting the Jeopardy gig. Which I wouldn't have minded!

Brandon was a contestant on the Million Second Quiz in 2013 and finished as runner-up in the tournament. He would later go on to appear in several quizzing competitions after changing his surname. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

It looks like Mark isn't leaving the US. He's going to be on "Master Minds" which is hosted by former host of GSN's "The Chase" Brooke Burns. That might be way they are taking the old reruns of "The Chase" off GSN's schedule. 

I remember years ago when Mark attended his first Daytime Emmys with Brooke and seemed to try to stay close to her whenever they were shown together. It was during a year when they were streamed online so more production and other stuff was shown to viewers. I thought it was kind of endearing to see how confident he could be on GSN's "The Chase" and come across as kind of feeling out of place at an awards show like that. 

Mark Labbett Joins Game Show Network’s Master Minds

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Jaded said:

It looks like Mark isn't leaving the US. He's going to be on "Master Minds" which is hosted by former host of GSN's "The Chase" Brooke Burns. That might be way they are taking the old reruns of "The Chase" off GSN's schedule. 

I remember years ago when Mark attended his first Daytime Emmys with Brooke and seemed to try to stay close to her whenever they were shown together. It was during a year when they were streamed online so more production and other stuff was shown to viewers. I thought it was kind of endearing to see how confident he could be on GSN's "The Chase" and come across as kind of feeling out of place at an awards show like that. 

Mark Labbett Joins Game Show Network’s Master Minds

UGH.  I don't like him on The Chase and I really don't want him on Master Minds, which I quite enjoy.

I was sure Master Minds was cancelled.  There haven't been new episodes for quite awhile now.

The Master Minds panel is kind of weird.  Usually it was Ken Jennings, Muffy Marracco, and Jonathan Corbblah.  But then every once in awhile there would be other people instead.  It wasn't anything like an even distribution of appearances.  Wonder where Labbett will fit into that rotation.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:19 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm just hoping we'll have more scenes in the Chaser Lounge. That's the best part of the show. They can cut out the endless repetition of the rules.

I hope they keep the Chaser Lounge. Though it won't be the same without James and Brad ragging on Ken (and vice versa, when Ken is in the Chaser Lounge).

• Love 2

It was a good team tonight, though it was surprising they only got to 15 in the Final Chase. For me, the jury is still out on Brandon. I didn't dislike him, but nor did I love him. He didn't strike me as being as sharp as Ken or the Beast in his heyday, but it's early days yet. We'll see.

My main takeaway was I missed Ken and Brad in the Lounge. Where was Brad anyway? They couldn't fit a fourth chair in the Lounge? If so, they could've left Victoria out. She wasn't bringing it in the Lounge. I missed Brad's humor. Plus, he's my game show boyfriend. 😉

One thing is the same: I still hate those nicknames.

• Love 4
(edited)

Thank goodness they've stopped making Sara call the Chasers by their fake nicknames, that was sad, weird and total cringe.  At least I hope it wasn't an accident that Sara called him Brandon most of the night.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Sara called him Brandon most of the night

I think I heard her use the nickname at least once. I wish she would enunciate as well as Brooke did/does, there were several times I was unsure what she said. I don't think she's very quick either.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I think I heard her use the nickname at least once. I wish she would enunciate as well as Brooke did/does, there were several times I was unsure what she said. I don't think she's very quick either.

She did indeed use his nickname, at least once, that I heard. Yeah, I agree. I thought she was reading pretty slowly for the contestants during the Final Chase.

• Love 1

Was glad this was back to brighten my Tuesday nights. I don't know this Chaser but I was rooting for him even though I liked the three players. And Buzzy's socks ROCKED!

• Love 1

I'm glad the show is back and am fine with five chasers.

I was favorably impressed with Brandon.  I liked his intensity in the final chase.  He clearly went into full concentration mode and did well.

Sara still does a great job managing the game, the contestants, and the chaser.  They should do something about her stylist, though, as her outfit and hairstyle were less than flattering (again).  She's very pretty, so it's as though they're purposely trying to play down her looks.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I'm glad the show is back and am fine with five chasers.

I was favorably impressed with Brandon.  I liked his intensity in the final chase.  He clearly went into full concentration mode and did well.

Sara still does a great job managing the game, the contestants, and the chaser.  They should do something about her stylist, though, as her outfit and hairstyle were less than flattering (again).  She's very pretty, so it's as though they're purposely trying to play down her looks.

Sadly, they often make her look even worse on The View!!!

18 hours ago, Fellaway said:

It was a good team tonight, though it was surprising they only got to 15 in the Final Chase. For me, the jury is still out on Brandon. I didn't dislike him, but nor did I love him. He didn't strike me as being as sharp as Ken or the Beast in his heyday, but it's early days yet. We'll see.

My main takeaway was I missed Ken and Brad in the Lounge. Where was Brad anyway? They couldn't fit a fourth chair in the Lounge? If so, they could've left Victoria out. She wasn't bringing it in the Lounge. I missed Brad's humor. Plus, he's my game show boyfriend. 😉

One thing is the same: I still hate those nicknames.

I wondered where Brad was, too. Five chasers is too much. I predict it will be back at three chasers next season.

I did sort of enjoy seeing Brandon stretch and flex like he was about to go into a physical contest going into the final chase. Brad was missed; even though it was great having Buzzy there, Brad has an energy with the lounge comments I love. His chemistry with Ken was also (obviously) missing. They've known each other so long there's a real comfort level between them. I hope Brad is back next week. My guide says James is chasing so I'm thinking the lounge will be dull without both him and Brad.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've never heard of any of these new chasers before, nor was I aware of the change until I finally played this episode. Didn't even know the show was coming back until I found the new episode on my DVR. I'm not a big Jeopardy fan so that's why they're so unfamiliar to me, but I did know who Ken Jennings was.

The first woman was terrible. If you can't get at least five questions in the cash builder, you shouldn't be able to qualify for the show. I knew when they only got 15 in the final chase they were doomed.

Sara did seem noticeably slower in reading the questions after improving last season. That has to be deliberate. 

I'm just hoping we'll have more scenes in the Chaser Lounge. That's the best part of the show. 

Ugh, hard disagree. I find the running commentary from the peanut gallery intrusive, especially when the show cuts to them right in the middle of a round. If they must be present at all their comments should be relegated to the end of a round right before a commercial break.

Again . . . not a Jeopardy fan, so these people are nobodies to me.

Edited by iMonrey
2 minutes ago, opus said:

Team picking from “A” packet or “B” packet in the final chase was new to this version, right?

No, I think they do it on the GSN version too.

8 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I am glad they got someone who was NOT on Jeopardy.

Actually, it seems both new chasers appeared on Jeopardy, Brandon was on Teen Jeopardy.

I’ve only seen the GSN version in reruns, where sometimes they had the A&B packages and sometimes not. Might have been a change in a specific season.

I thought the questions in the first contestant’s cash builder significantly harder than those for the other two, but I guess that depends on your areas of knowledge.